• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Sudai

Stuff here
Really Toasty? I've been using the instant dash attack for a while now. IDA out of shield to punish at low percents for no reason. (I mean, it's a great set-up for juggles and that's the reason..but still! No reason!)

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
yeah man since SoVa doesn't play Brawl my only real experience with Brawl has been tourneys and practicing with Kadaj occasionally, and I generally only lurk my subscriptions when I don't have an insane amount of time [which is to say: I've only really lurked my subscriptions for the last couple months :( unless I was looking for something specific elsewhere]

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I dunno man, the instant dash attack thing is pretty old, at least as old as mortar-sliding because it kinda comes with the territory when you smash right->down C->up-Z.

toasty

Smash Hero
again...never really paid attention to what's been going on hahaha *is embarrassed*

wait...are you just saying there's no running animation and you just go from standing to dash attack? or are you saying there's very little movement and then immediately into a dash attack?

what I mean is, can you basically just dash attack out of shield that way? because otherwise, then I DID already know about and feel even dumber now haha

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
toasty: If you smash right on the control stick and press A within a quarter-second or so (dunno the exact timing) you will do a smash attack. If you press C-stick left, right, or up in that timeframe, you will do a smash attack in that direction (this is stutter-stepping). If you press C-stick down in that timeframe, you will do a dash attack. You can't do a dash attack this fast with the A button. That's all this is.

Sudai

Stuff here
JJ, picking up a secondary isn't easy cake pie unless you've already been playing them for a while have have a good understanding of the char already. It takes time. : )

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
So... for anyone who cares. In an hour, i will be walking across the stage and become an official college graduate.

No one prolly does- but, ya know, thought I'd share.

:|

toasty

Smash Hero
good **** Razer!!! I've had an odd 6 years as far as my college career goes [no, I'm not doing a 4 year program over six years, it's been multiple programs >_>] so I applaud you for finishing, hope to see you around VA/MD sooon ^_^

Also: SUDAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD. ****.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Maining ROB is the quickest way to become a mod.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
good **** Razer!!! I've had an odd 6 years as far as my college career goes [no, I'm not doing a 4 year program over six years, it's been multiple programs >_>] so I applaud you for finishing, hope to see you around VA/MD sooon ^_^

Also: SUDAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD. ****.
Thanks a ton! I managed to finish my 4 year program in 3.5, hence the graduating in December. I thought about staying in an extra semester and getting two more majors (ya, I was that good at scheduling), but ultimately decided against it.

Good **** Razer, where are you headed after college? MD/VA perhaps? ;)
Thanks! I'mma muck around the NC area for a little while, and see what turns up. I've been looking at some marketing consulting (what i intend to do) around the DC area... so... we'll see.
Yay Razor :D

And Sudai I think thats my problem...Im extremley impatient :( but I'll keep trying. Not like I have a choise lol

Sweet ! now take a year off of NC and travel the east coast =D .

10kanackers
Hopefully if I can scrounge up enough funds, I'll make a tour up to MD and down to FL for some tournyers. Other than that, i tend on doing a little bit of travelling and checking out a few cities that im interested in.

I've got an interview with Proctor and Gamble in Cincinnati in the middle of Jan, so... wish me luck.

Again, thanks everyone!!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Daaaamn big bad moderator Sudai, now you can back it up when you chew out ROB board newbies.

Also you can keep the right threads stickied.

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
My Wii broke, I've got to send it to Nintendo :(

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
If I had a green name, I'd be all over that.

But Red is definately second best (maybe 3rd to the cool black guy. His little dance in the theme song is too good).

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
I want to be a Mod !

10kanackers

Also dam i wanted to play some online -_- .

Also whos down for some online ? lol its just getting boring playing my bro all day and i havnt used rob in like 3 weeks !.

10extendurssss

Sudai

Stuff here
Since this is a knowledge thread, I decided I'd just post this here.

ROBs, stop doing Spot-Dodge > DSmash. I know all the good ROBs don't do it often at all, but it should be done even less. Due to Brawl's low shield stun and low amount of shield drop frames, DSmashing right out of shield is rather effective. This makes it easier to punish fast attacks who's end lag would normally finish just in time for the opponent to put a shield up or move away before our DSmash comes out. I actually think there's less frames of vulnerability between shielding and DSmashing than there is on Spot Dodge > DSmash but I'm not 100% on that and would need frame data to confirm. I'm gonna do some things to try to figure out which is safer in terms of vulnerability frames and get back on that, but it definitely seems a lot safer and at the least it's a lot faster.

Obviously powershielding makes this infinitely better and opens a lot more punishing options (because DSmash really isn't that good of a punisher due to people being able to SDI out) and this won't work on moves that push you back really far, but it's still a lot better than Spotdodge > DSmash.

DTilt or FTilt OoS are also options if you're too far away for DSmash OoS, but that's known already.

I've been doing this for twp or three months now but it never clicked for me that no one's brought it up on the forums. I don't watch Brawl vids (often) so I really have no idea if you guys are doing this or not yet, but I'd assume at least a few of you (Toasty, JCaes, ect) are doing this already and probably don't even realize it (I didn't. It was just a natural progression for me, not some kind of revelation) but I wanted to post this up to help out people that haven't figured this out yet.

Sudai

Stuff here
personally, i dislike using Laser as my openning move, cuz almost all the good players would shield/powershield it when the game starts
I always charge the gyro at the beginning of a fight unless it's match 3 because by match 3 they're used to me charging the gyro. Charge Cancel > Laser is pretty fast too so if they try to approach you can smack em with a laser. Yay.

buenob

Smash Lord
spot dodging avoids the shield pressure from spammy characters though, and often it's just safer... but I definitely have over the last few months figured out that dodge is too predictable against someone who knows what they're doing, and incorporating way more shielding (i was pretty much just dodging everything) so it's around 50/50 meant my game improved tremendously

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yeah, I've been dsmashing OoS more often than spotdodge->dsmash for a few months now. In matchups where I do use spotdodge a lot (like DDD or Diddy) I usually jab afterwards because it's faster and less punishable and (?) longer range.

I usually start my matches (on biggish flat stages at least) with a full jump (short-hop for fast, offensive characters)->gyro, followed up by a laser that gets to them shortly after the gyro does. AFAIK I'm the only ROB that does this, other than Tantalus who steals all my **** cause I play him all the time :laugh:

It's crap, I was playing Plank after he had recently played a bunch with Tant, and he knew everything I was gonna do because Tant does the same things! Argh!

toasty

Smash Hero
that's some May '08 toasty **** JCz XD Then SoVa adjusted and I stopped doing it as often...I tend do that when I have high damage and they have a fresh stock because they're gunning for that KO move and they're generally more aggressive and thus more likely to run into whatever **** you throw at them from afar

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I just like it because everyone lets the shield down after the gyro and gets hit by the laser :p

Like, everyone...

I never saw you do it but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Sudai

Stuff here
I'm pretty sure Jab has a bit less range than DSmash, or at least a bit less disjointedness. I'm pretty sure that DTilt OoS is better than jab OoS if you just want something fast with long reach, though.

I never shoot the gyro right away though cause I'm always scared of someone jumping over it then stealing it. : (

I'm gonna ask OS if he'd mind me renaming this thread to be a Q&A thread (it basically is) and the sticky it.

Top Bottom