• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Ask, and ye shall receive.

That's basically it. Ask about matchups, strategies, what have you, and I'll answer if I can.

mossdog

Smash Apprentice
there's something I've trying to pull off & sometimes it works, but not often.

short hopping over another character, do an instant air dodge for when they try to punish your short hop & do a back air when you get to the other side.

think this is worth doing?

mossdog

Smash Apprentice
btw... I didn't know you went to NKU. I go to morehead st.

my g/f's sister goes to NKU (from cinci)

Frames

DI
Um I just have a few questions, nothing big really.

1. I've heard that R.O.B. has an infinite, at least on Corneria, or so I've heard, but i haven't heard anything about it. Is it true, and if so, how is it done/does it work on other levels?

2. I also remember reading somewhere (I think you posted it), that R.O.B. has a 0 percent gimp on falco. This matchup is tricky for me, so obviously something like this would be useful. What I'd like to know is is it something simple like back throw to down air, or is there more to it?

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice

1. I've heard that R.O.B. has an infinite, at least on Corneria, or so I've heard, but i haven't heard anything about it. Is it true, and if so, how is it done/does it work on other levels?

2. I also remember reading somewhere (I think you posted it), that R.O.B. has a 0 percent gimp on falco. This matchup is tricky for me, so obviously something like this would be useful. What I'd like to know is is it something simple like back throw to down air, or is there more to it?

for your number 1) are you talking about dtilting someone to death on the bottom part of corneria? you just have to pin him to the wall and dtilit to your hearts content.

i just want more tips mindgames such as what do players have tendencies to do?

i know of rolling towards you and you can easily punish with a dsmash or some may have tendencies to jump right after they grab the ledge so you just jump and bair...

im pretty sure tho that you know more.

Sikarios

Smash Cadet
ROB vs Pit

Hey Overswarm, I'm mainly looking for strategies versus Pit since he seems to be the bane of my existence these days.

I don't have too much trouble with the blue arrows, as rolling and spot dodging seems to take care of them more or less plus ROB can outpressure him long range w/ stuff like the gyro and the laser.

My two biggest problems are 1-Pit's smash attacks and 2-Pit's ridiculous recovery (almost as ridiculous as ROB's!)

It is often the case that I will try to punish Pit's missed smash, only to eat another smash right away. Pit can segue b/t his Fsmash and Dsmash too quickly, I feel, and I end up with a sort of road block when trying to scrap with him. On a level like Battlefield, Pit's Usmash can dominate the two side platforms--my only hope is to go for a ledge grab and get back on the level or do an airdodge b/t Pit and all the platforms and aim for center stage.

For Pit's recovery, I've just been trying to get better about chasing him w/ Nair but he has a habit of frequently airdodging this and recovering before I can follow up.

My wins usually boil down to being super patient and waiting for Pit to get too aggressive but when my friend is on his game that day, fighting Pit can just be GRUELING for me. Thanks for any help.

--

And on a side note, how often do you use the gyro and the Forward B moves? Do you use the gyro at all against reflector characters?

nomnomnom

Smash Cadet
Any tips on the wolf matchup? It seems like a lot of rob players are having trouble with space animals in general.

Also - what are your strategies against characters that force you to approach, like Pit and (on occasion) campy Zeldas?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
there's something I've trying to pull off & sometimes it works, but not often.

short hopping over another character, do an instant air dodge for when they try to punish your short hop & do a back air when you get to the other side.

think this is worth doing?
No.

The only reason you should ever jump and airdodge into your opponent is if you've made a mistake and know they are going to attack you out of it. If you are planning to jump and air dodge so you can capitalize on their lag from their hypothetical attack, you're taking a risk. It is infinitely more likely that they just won't attack you and wait for the air dodge to be over.

ROB has the ability to prevent him from being damaged while still being offensive; putting yourself in high risk / high reward situations goes against ROB's natural playstyle.

D-tilt. That's it. Just use it when they are against a wall, and try to hit with the tip of it (so they don't bounce up). It works until about 100-150% depending on the character, and you can generally finish with an f-smash that (on corneria at least) will launch them high enough to KO them. You can also, depending on the situation, d-smash for the KO after this.

Grab at 0% by the edge. Hit him once for 2-3%. B-throw off the edge. Run off the edge (no jumping) and then hit him with a fair. If he wastes his jump, even better; jump and fair him. Follow up with fairs until he is below the stage and cannot recover using his up+b.

At this point you can grab the edge to prevent him from grabbing it with his up+b (just stall with your up+b so you can time the invincibility properly), or you can dair him out of his up+b since you'll know the trajectory he is going to have.

It's tricky, but if you get the first two fairs off it is all about using your up+b to follow up. He has such great lag out of his up+b that once he is below the stage you can take your time alternating between an up+b and a forward air. Just make sure you don't spam it. Spamming it means that he can DI it up and use his over-b to recover.

Any tips on the wolf matchup? It seems like a lot of rob players are having trouble with space animals in general.
The finals are me vs. Yayuhzz, a wolf. You'll learn some of the things I do there (as well as the gimp that I use against Falco; it works on Wolf too).

Also - what are your strategies against characters that force you to approach, like Pit and (on occasion) campy Zeldas?
[/quote]

Pit isn't that big of an issue. Due to his jumps having very poor vertical lift, you can pressure him easily off the stage. The problem generally comes from his arrows. To approach, I generally powershield arrows and follow up with a laser (fully charged if possible) or gyromite and that gives me enough time to close the gap. Don't worry about taking a measly 20% from his arrows; he will die much faster than you ever will.

A good trick against a Pit that thinks he is tricky is to throw a weak gyromite towards him so that it will stop in front of him. Most Pit's think they are oh-so-clever by throwing up their reflecting shield, but the lag from that is more than enough to allow you to close the gap, and ROB destroys Pit in close range.

As for Zelda.... Zelda owns ROB. Sorry. My best advice is to spam f-tilts and d-tilts and to just hope for a lucky kill. :(

I do'nt know much about the Zelda matchup except that everything Zelda does destroys ROB soundly.

My two biggest problems are 1-Pit's smash attacks and 2-Pit's ridiculous recovery (almost as ridiculous as ROB's!)
Pit is a hard matchup until you get on the inside. Don't spam against Pit, it doesn't work. ROB can still outspam him, but at higher % Pit has the advantage. You want to get in the fray before you are both at higher %, because Pit will hit you once then arrow you to hell and back.

Pit's recovery is awful in every way except distance. Simply keep up the pressure and SAVE THAT LASER. After he uses his up+b, you can hit him with a laser and he will fall silently to his death. This is especially useful if he tries to go under the stage. Just drop, laser, up+b. Just stay on the offense against Pit and you'll be fine.

Don't expect to hit Pit out of any sort of lag. He has very little lag from his smashes or aerials, so what I generally do is hit him with a gyro when he is throwing out moves for no reasons, or in some cases a laser (if I'm not saving it). Just remember that YOU have the range. Throw out the f-tilt, the f-air, all those really far-reaching moves and keep him on his toes. It just takes a lot of pressure against Pit, because he can't throw out moves like you can when he is in trouble.

how often do you use the gyro and the Forward B moves? Do you use the gyro at all against reflector characters?
I use forward-b sparingly. It is great for reflecting projectiles, and I often will do it into people's shields and angle it downwards so it will shield poke them towards the end of the over-b (thus reducing any lag it would normally have!).

I use the gyro in every matchup. Whenever a character has a reflector, they are going to use it. When you can FORCE them to use their reflector, you can FORCE them to have a bout of lag at your expense. While it would normally be a better idea to air dodge if someone throws a gyro at you, they will often reflect out of instinct.

Just keep in mind that you can launch a weak gyro, pick it up, then throw it like an item. That makes it easier to dodge if they reflect it.

I often will just simply place the gyro spinning on the ground so as to limit their movement range. Sitting it on top of a platform, especially on battlefield, makes it very hard for any character to escape an approaching ROB.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I want more mindgames trix
Everyone is different. Play defensively when you first see your opponent until you can read them.

The first three things I learn about an opponent are the following:

1. If you are running straight at an opponent, do they shield, attack, do a retreating aerial, run away, or what?

The answer to this determines whether you can fake them out by running then stopping, running and jumping backwards, whether you should dash attack, grab, etc.

2. When you throw or hit them off the edge at low %, do they immediately jump or do they wait and fall?

Noobs generally jump into the ****, experienced players generally wait and fall and try to read YOU. You can do something out of either. I generally just forward air or laser them. If you know they will jump, you can jump and fair them out of the initial jump animation and they will lose their jump and gain no height. Great for gimping!

3. If you stand back and spam projectiles, what do they do? Do they approach? Shield? Ledge camp? Shoot back?

What they do in this situation determines a lot about your match. Many players are totally at a loss as to what to do.

If you watch videos of me playing inexperienced players, you'll find it is often me spamming projectiles from far away until they approach, then I throw them off the edge and edgeguard. Or, if they get to high % and don't approach, I run forward, grab, and kill them with a u-throw, f-throw, or b-throw.

How do you beat ROB with Wolf? Please, go into detail >_>
ROB destroys Wolf off the stage. Two or three hits is all it takes to kill Wolf even if he is at 0%. As such, stay on the stage.

It is important to know that Wolf can always be moving and throwing out aerials iwth 0 lag. His bair autocancels, as does his fair if used properly. This gives him a great aerial game, allowing him to constantly be throwing out attacks.

Make sure you save either your bair or f-smash as a KO move, otherwise you'll never get a KO.

If you're losing, it is very important that you run off to get a spike. ROB is large and easy to spike, so run out and downair him out of his up+b. It's also important to note that ROB can't air dodge out of his up+b unless he has done an attack, so he can't dodge it!

But basically, stay on the stage where your strengths lie and then play smart.

and no one gets skipped! I just answer questions as I plase XD

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Space animals

Space animals can do a wonder on ROB if ROB doesn't play to his strengths.

Fox can combo him to hell and back, and Falco can cause all sorts of problems. Wolf, when played properly, can have a wall of moves constantly giving ROB trouble.

Three things you can do to make these matchups easier.

1. Keep the battle off the stage as often as possible

All the space animals have awful recoveries. They are predictable, and if you simply get them below the stage they can't use their over-b. This is good for you, since you can pressure them so hard you can actually CARRY them off the stage iwth your fair and up+b.

2. Get lots of grabs

Grabbing against the spacies is great. D-throw to u-air combo is your friend. As long as you can keep them above you, you can throw out u-air with immunity. They can't spam you with projectiles, and they have to land in such a way that you can keep the pressure on them.

3. When in doubt, get on a platform

Whenever I'm having trouble approaching a space animal, I just stand on a platform and try to bait a jump out of them. Once they jump I can get underneath them or grab them as they land, and focus more on 1 and 2. None of the spacies can shoot projectiles at an angle, and they all have pretty piss-poor range, so they aren't going to be floating in and out. This makes them easy to bait, easy to read, and easy to punish. If a spacie jumps at you and does an aerial, he's going to land, and you know exactly where he will land. Get a grab and get them above you or off the stage!

Keep in mind that at higher %, the spacies' recovery gets better and better, so make sure to get a KO with a u-throw if they are at high %.

masterbraz

Smash Apprentice
what moves does rob have that out prioritize wolf's his fsmash. He spams them and if im hit with one, chances are im hit with 2 which becomes a pain.
Sidenote: would u mind playin me sometime on wif? i'd learn a lot playing from you. I'm from midwest aswell (ohio)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
what moves does rob have that out prioritize wolf's his fsmash. He spams them and if im hit with one, chances are im hit with 2 which becomes a pain.
Sidenote: would u mind playin me sometime on wif? i'd learn a lot playing from you. I'm from midwest aswell (ohio)
http://76.9.5.204/showthread.php?t=160655

That might be a better way to play. I get a lot of wifi requests... but currently don't have a PC, so hard to organize matches. Once I'm off at work at 3, it's basically luck as to whether I play or not!

more wolf stuff
Why do you need to out prioritize wolf's f-smash? Just stay out of range. It isn't a move he can spam. Besides, if he does spam it, that means it is no longer a KO move. Just try spamming projectiles so he has to approach you. No one can approach with wolf's f-smash.

Also, just roll behind him and d-smash. Works for me.

masterbraz

Smash Apprentice
thanks for the info. I play a wolf fsmash spammer. He usually relies on dsmash and aerials to kill me. Dang i really wish i could play you. O well, thanks for the tips.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
btw... I didn't know you went to NKU. I go to morehead st.

my g/f's sister goes to NKU (from cinci)

Wow. I always thought I was the only smash player in Kentucky. I'm always looking for someone to play and can't find anyone. I live in Ashland. Can't believe there where people so close the whole time.

Sikarios

Smash Cadet
Another question for you, Overswarm >.<

Specifically, ROB vs. short characters like Olimar and Pikachu. I find that Fsmash becomes obsolete due to their size, and since I do most of my smashing w/ the C-Stick it doesn't feel right to angle it lower w/ the control stick.

Also when I use Dsmash (a huge part of my ROB game) I find the short characters have a great tendency to wriggle out of the hit w/ less damage and knockback. So now I've lost two of my most used moves and I find myself resorting to dash attacks, projectiles, and grabs.

mossdog

Smash Apprentice
Wow. I always thought I was the only smash player in Kentucky. I'm always looking for someone to play and can't find anyone. I live in Ashland. Can't believe there where people so close the whole time.
I'm from prestonsburg (if you know where that is)

we have a tournament comming up next week in morehead. you can get the details on facebook, just add me. (brent mcguire)

masterbraz

Smash Apprentice
hey hugs I may be able to answer your question, did u make sure you completely refueled each time u used your upB. And if you tap B rather than hold it you can hover longer ( i think this just applies to horizontal distance though). I hope this answered your question.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I find that R.O.B.'s greatest weakness is that he seems to have a huge blind spot directly underneath him when he's in the air, which frequently translates into me getting juggled to hell, unable to reach the ground and resume his awesome defensive game. They can see the dair coming a mile away, and the nair isn't a whole lot better in terms of startup time. I usually just try to airdodge the inevitable attack and fastfall down as fast as possible, but R.O.B. is so floaty that they can still usually get a second attack off. Is there an effective way of getting back to the ground from this position?

Also, what are R.O.B.'s best options from the edge while recovering? I sometimes have trouble getting back to the stage because I so frequently wind up putting myself into the above position. Maybe I'm just doing something incredibly stupid and not realizing it, but I tend to have a lot of trouble getting back to safety after being knocked away from the stage, in spite of the awesome up-B.

ArticulacyFTW

Smash Cadet
What stages do you prefer as R.O.B., and which do you dislike?

Best match-up, worst match-up? (I know you mentioned Zelda as particularly bad, anyone else?)

Do you often find it's worth it to go for the d-air spike, or is it generally better to f-air them out to oblivion?

I tend save my robo beams, and I noticed in a lot of your videos you like to just throw them out there a lot. Are there match-ups/occasions where you find yourself saving it up more? Or would you advise that I generally use it more often?

Today I glide-tossed a gyro and accidentally caught it just after I finished my slide. Have you done this before? Do you think that it would be a good idea to explore this (I suck at glide tossing at the moment, and so was unable to recreate it)? Would multiple glide tosses in a row be useful somehow, beyond mindgames that the gyro wasn't actually thrown out?

What's your favorite move?

Boolossus

Smash Ace
You are my god. Will you sign my wiimote?

Okay onto the serious business now. How should I approach Pikmin & Olimar? Should I just ignore the pikmin that he throws on me and keep the pressure on him? Or should I play defensively and try to keep him off balance with gyros and lasers?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I got a few questions for ya. How the hell do you beat a MK? I was at a tourney last weekend, and the only match that I got completely ***** in was against a MK (probably the best MK in maryland but still). This kinda ties in with Wyvern's question about the huge blindspot below ROB when he's in the air, because every stock as soon as he launched me I just couldn't escape the uairs, they're so **** fast.

Also I've been having problems against pikachu. Got any specific strats against pika? Though the pika I play against I only play on wifi, so it could just be my inability to deal with the slight lag. He just seems to be my hardest matchup online.

Sudai

Stuff here
I've heard that you can make ROB's Up-B last longer if you keep canceling and restarting his Up-B, but is there wany way to cancel it other than using an attack?

game_tip

Smash Cadet
Down A is a very different beast. It has a lot of range if you jump to the highest point and try down A in the air it'll hit the punching bag

That shows you how much range it has! Otherwise, it's a great stall move from the air and my approach towards the ground is a neutral A or fall towards the side with a gyro on the floor to distract the enemy

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
The problem with dair isn't the range or power, it's obviously good on those fronts. It's the fact that it's incredibly slow and easy to see coming.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Hey Overswarm,

First off, thanks for making this thread. it's nice to see that someone's not afraid to help out players from both sides on how to use ROB and how to face him. I was wondering, could you give me some tips on FIGHTING ROB as Sheik. I tend to have a very difficult time with it.

(I'm aware that transforming to Zelda would probably be the best strategy from the start, but I'm a Sheik player at heart.)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Another question for you, Overswarm >.<

Specifically, ROB vs. short characters like Olimar and Pikachu. I find that Fsmash becomes obsolete due to their size, and since I do most of my smashing w/ the C-Stick it doesn't feel right to angle it lower w/ the control stick.

Also when I use Dsmash (a huge part of my ROB game) I find the short characters have a great tendency to wriggle out of the hit w/ less damage and knockback. So now I've lost two of my most used moves and I find myself resorting to dash attacks, projectiles, and grabs.
Learn to angle the f-smash. No johns about being uncomfortable.

Any character can escape the d-smash by simply holding up. This allows you, oftentimes, to follow up with a grab, gyro, or laser. D-smash is still a good move, but just know when you need to focus on using u-air as a damage dealer instead of d-smash.

Is it true that Rob's laser has only 3 levels of strength?

Could you explain the variation in his up B length. I can't figure out why it lasts longer sometimes and others it doesn't.
Rob's laser has 3. Immediately after use, it is a close range blast (this attack stays for the other two lasers as well, but is only close range) that has small knockback. After one second, it has the normal "weak and fast" laser. The larger, slower, stronger laser appears exactly 20 seconds after use (watch that timer!).

His up+b refuels only on the stage, and it takes 2-3 seconds for it to refuel completely. Touching the stage and jumping does not allow it to charge. Grabbing the ledge only gives him the initial "push"; this means that ROB can't camp the ledge with his up+B, so keep that in mind!

I find that R.O.B.'s greatest weakness is that he seems to have a huge blind spot directly underneath him when he's in the air, which frequently translates into me getting juggled to hell, unable to reach the ground and resume his awesome defensive game. They can see the dair coming a mile away, and the nair isn't a whole lot better in terms of startup time. I usually just try to airdodge the inevitable attack and fastfall down as fast as possible, but R.O.B. is so floaty that they can still usually get a second attack off. Is there an effective way of getting back to the ground from this position?
Over-b works wonders, but I normally bair to air dodge. Keep in mind that you can use your up+b to change direction and b-air the opposite way you were facing originally. Air dodging is the best bet, but if you need to, just use over-b. If you have a full up+b, go far off the side and then up+b to the ledge.

Also, what are R.O.B.'s best options from the edge while recovering? I sometimes have trouble getting back to the stage because I so frequently wind up putting myself into the above position. Maybe I'm just doing something incredibly stupid and not realizing it, but I tend to have a lot of trouble getting back to safety after being knocked away from the stage, in spite of the awesome up-B.
If you are on the ledge, you have to realize you don't NEED to get off unless it is safe. You can laser, gyro, and fair to your heart's content. Just make sure you aren't using your up+B; if you are, just roll onto the stage so you will get some back even if you are hit.

Keep in mind you can also drop off the ledge and jump straight up, nair, then grab the ledge and immediately jump off and fair. If someone is camping by the edge and is going to shield grab you if you fair, you have many options.

One, jump and nair (not drop off and nair). This is very fast, powerful, and sends you behind them.

Two, drop off then jump and fair to bair. Double fair doesn't work as well, but you can fair then bair (hitting them when they are in front of you) and you will land behind them. You can then d-smash if they haven't been hit or rolled away yet, and it will inevitably shield poke them.

You can also drop off the ledge then jump and u-air; the final hit from the u-air has a suction effect that seems to teleport ROB onto the ledge, and it has very little lag so you can follow it up with a d-smash or jab.

What stages do you prefer as R.O.B., and which do you dislike?
Luigi's Mansion is good. You can d-smash **** there all day, AND his lasers go through the pillars. Even better, his gyro doesn't so you can throw a gyro at the pillars and it will land in front of the edge. This gives you extra protection upon recovering.

Frigate Orpheon is amazing. On the stage transformation that has the platform on the right/left that goes on and off, you can just laser/gyro camp there with your up+b all day. The plat comes back before you run out! Even better, you can easily kill from there with a b-throw if they choose to approach. If need be, you can d-smash your opponent to "suck him in" as the plat goes off the side, giving you a KO. :)

Best match-up, worst match-up? (I know you mentioned Zelda as particularly bad, anyone else?)
Zelda is the worst by far. G&W, Metaknight, Olimar, and basically anyone that is tiny and fast can be a lot of trouble. ROB has trouble getting KOs that aren't based off of early % gimps, so he can't abuse the fact that these characters are so light like others can.

As for best matchups.... I enjoy playing against space animals, anyone large, anyone without projectiles. Anyone with a bad recovery or that can easily be u-air/fair comboed. I really don't have characters that I think "oh wow, I'm going to use ROB against them" because I already use ROB against everyone.

Do you often find it's worth it to go for the d-air spike, or is it generally better to f-air them out to oblivion?
The dair spike should only be used when there is no way they can avoid it, or if you can call on your enemy, or if you are using it to force them off the ledge. It isn't that great of a move.

If you do happen to get it off on the stage and they hit the ground, float towards them and back-air. If they stand up or roll the direction you are facing when you bair, you'll hit them. I'ts a neat little combo, but totally up to your opponent if it works.

I tend save my robo beams, and I noticed in a lot of your videos you like to just throw them out there a lot. Are there match-ups/occasions where you find yourself saving it up more? Or would you advise that I generally use it more often?
The robo beam has two uses. Damage, and KOs.

I find myself saving it a lot when my opponent gets to higher %, and I generally tend to save it against tether recoveries since it works so well against them. Throw it out in the beginning (your first laser only needs a few seconds to be fully charged, so your first should always be a biggin', but after that throw the tiny ones out ). Once they are at a % that allows you to knock them off the stage a good distance, keep that laser in mind.

Today I glide-tossed a gyro and accidentally caught it just after I finished my slide. Have you done this before? Do you think that it would be a good idea to explore this (I suck at glide tossing at the moment, and so was unable to recreate it)? Would multiple glide tosses in a row be useful somehow, beyond mindgames that the gyro wasn't actually thrown out?
There's a little bit of lag after you catch the gyro, so it wouldn't be that useful. They could just shield.

However, doing a retreating glide toss after glide tossing the first time would be pretty epic.

What's your favorite move?
Ike's upsmash.

As for ROB, I'd have to say his d-tilt. It sounds like he's saying "**** **** **** ****" when he uses it, and it always makes me laugh.

You are my god. Will you sign my wiimote?

Okay onto the serious business now. How should I approach Pikmin & Olimar? Should I just ignore the pikmin that he throws on me and keep the pressure on him? Or should I play defensively and try to keep him off balance with gyros and lasers?
Yes, I'll sign it.

To approach Olimar, just f-tilt. It kills all pikmin but purples, and it has zero lag. Throwing a weak gyro so it is on the ground in front of him also works wonders. Once olimar is in the air he's vulnerable, and the spinning gyro messes up his over-b a lot.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I got a few questions for ya. How the hell do you beat a MK? I was at a tourney last weekend, and the only match that I got completely ***** in was against a MK (probably the best MK in maryland but still). This kinda ties in with Wyvern's question about the huge blindspot below ROB when he's in the air, because every stock as soon as he launched me I just couldn't escape the uairs, they're so **** fast.

Also I've been having problems against pikachu. Got any specific strats against pika? Though the pika I play against I only play on wifi, so it could just be my inability to deal with the slight lag. He just seems to be my hardest matchup online.
MK is hard. I'll go over him later. I suggest learning to play him and learning his weaknesses; that's what I'm doing right now.

Pika is pretty easy. Just outspam him so he has to come to you, juggle him with u-airs and hit him with d-smashes. Pika has no KO moves against ROB if you're smart. DI out of his d-smash by smashing up, and save your air dodge until after he says "PIKA" for the thunder.

I've heard that you can make ROB's Up-B last longer if you keep canceling and restarting his Up-B, but is there wany way to cancel it other than using an attack?
Getting hit.

But what makes it last longer is that the initial push gives him more height, so you just want to tap B at a good rhythm.

How can an IC/Jiggz player beat ROB?
I don't know much about the ICs in Brawl, but I would suggest using infinites, and I'm pretty sure their u-smash is godly.

As for jiggs.... it's all about Jiggs carrying ROB off the side of the stage with her fair and bair. ROB's big, so jiggs can rack up that damage all day.

Hey Overswarm,

First off, thanks for making this thread. it's nice to see that someone's not afraid to help out players from both sides on how to use ROB and how to face him. I was wondering, could you give me some tips on FIGHTING ROB as Sheik. I tend to have a very difficult time with it.

(I'm aware that transforming to Zelda would probably be the best strategy from the start, but I'm a Sheik player at heart.)

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Transform into Zelda. ;)

But really, it's going to be a long hard road for you. You can rack up damage with your tilts easily, but you're going to have to eventually kill ROB with an f-smash, u-smash, or possibly an up-air.

You can combo ROB out of your d-tilt easily, and since he has a laggy d-air you can juggle with u-air.

It's a hard matchup for Sheik. You have to constnatly keep up the pressure, get those grabs in, then get ROB above you. When he's at higher %, try to kill him with an f-smash or u-smash. That's about all I got. :(

Zink

Smash Champion
woo, my independently-developed ROB appears to be turning out well... I already picked up on the **** of Weegi Mansion, although I didn't know about the Orpheon platform trick. ROB has a lot of good stages (JUNGLE JAPES LOLOL). I also like tossing uncharged gyros to eat up space and be annoying.
But I did have a question. I had an idea about tossing a gyro, letting the opponent jump over, then doing a little chain where I ftilt while moving forward to force them back into it. then you pick up the gyro and start hitting them with it, using BEEMS angled up in case they jump. when you reach the edge, fair ****. This came less out of a real strategy than my wish that I find a way to kill someone by holding forward and pressing A.
Here's a real question. I found out that there's 2 levels of angle to the BEEMS, equivalent to a smash motion and a tilt motion, sorta. Are there any other angles or is that each?

D

Deleted member

Hi overswarm. Great thread. I have a few questions:

How do u beat fox and falco. They are way different, but i have trouble with both. Falco can outcamp u with his reflector and lazers, and its extremely difficult to get past. Once im inside its usually ok, but getting there is the problem. I play this fox who runs away and spams his laser, and is usually able to block my lasers. He can also combo me into oblivion with dair to utilt to a bunch of other random crap.

Also, what can u do against kirby besides camp him.

Top Bottom