• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Road to WHOBO event #3: HOBO 40: The Ruby Anniversary - May 11th, 2013 - Houston, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesh

Smash Hero
theres always megabus if you are willing to spend the extra money (its too late to get DAL-HOU tickets cheap) or the time (well could probably get em cheap if u showed up on thursday and left on monday)

Tesh

Smash Hero
dayum, 6 hour drive.

I'm sure Sync will house you (alot of people will house there) friday-sunday as needed.

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
Blondie, were you the Zelda? Can't remember. :/ Im down for MMing anyone. I actually havent gotten much practice in lately, so you've a got a good chance. (pre-tourney johns)

D

Deleted member

Sweet, I'll see if I can come.

First Smash Tourney, can't wait. :D

D

Deleted member

Is it a requirement to bring a setup? Because I'm screwed on that part since all my crap is in storage.

D

Deleted member

I believe it's just strongly encouraged. The more setups, then the faster and smoother the tourney runs. Do you play Project M by any chance?
Barely, I tried a couple months back because I'm a Melee Fanboy, I liked it. Wouldn't say I'm like #UberMLG360NoScope material for Project M, but I'm decent.

Oracle

Smash Master
So I may be able to come on megabus, but I would be getting in either thursday morning or sometime friday, and leaving on monday night. Would anybody be able to house me for that long/give me rides and such? I have gas money

Tesh

Smash Hero
So I may be able to come on megabus, but I would be getting in either thursday morning or sometime friday, and leaving on monday night. Would anybody be able to house me for that long/give me rides and such? I have gas money
im sure sync would house you, but sync, pj, asa and illmatic dont frequent this site, so if you want to talk to them personally you can probably pm asa on AIB/skype

as for rides, i wouldn't lean too heavily on getting assistance in that way, no one there has a car so you should be ready to take the bus for your most crucial trips (getting to and from the megabus stop)

the 163 bus will take you pretty much directly from downtown to sync's place.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...xp=0&noal=0&sort=def&mra=ltm&t=m&z=13&start=1

as you can see by that link its a long way

TheFoolishPhilosopher

Smash Cadet
I'm going to be going to this event for Project M singles and doubles. It's my first real tournament and I had a few questions.
I wanted to know about the etiquette and stuff like that. I will probably be bringing my own setup, but I don't think I'll have a TV with me. Should I even bother or would it still be helpful? I have Project M 2.5b installed as well as a forwarder for easy access. I could possibly bring an LCD TV, but I'm not sure of that and beyond that, I was told that if I'm not bringing a CRT TV I might be wasting my time.
Furthermore, despite watching countless tournament videos, I'm still not sure how stage picking works in a tournament. I know what stages are legal, but I'm not sure about how the whole pick->counterpick thing works.
Lastly, I wanted to know how getting eliminated plays out. Am I just done whenever I'm eliminated? Will there still be people playing for fun on some of the setups, or will they all be allocated to tournament players?
Sorry about all the questions, I'm really excited! I've looked all over for Houston events on google but never found them. My one friend who plays competitively linked me here and now I'm psyched to play.

D

Deleted member

I'm going to be going to this event for Project M singles and doubles. It's my first real tournament and I had a few questions.
I wanted to know about the etiquette and stuff like that. I will probably be bringing my own setup, but I don't think I'll have a TV with me. Should I even bother or would it still be helpful? I have Project M 2.5b installed as well as a forwarder for easy access. I could possibly bring an LCD TV, but I'm not sure of that and beyond that, I was told that if I'm not bringing a CRT TV I might be wasting my time.
Furthermore, despite watching countless tournament videos, I'm still not sure how stage picking works in a tournament. I know what stages are legal, but I'm not sure about how the whole pick->counterpick thing works.
Lastly, I wanted to know how getting eliminated plays out. Am I just done whenever I'm eliminated? Will there still be people playing for fun on some of the setups, or will they all be allocated to tournament players?
Sorry about all the questions, I'm really excited! I've looked all over for Houston events on google but never found them. My one friend who plays competitively linked me here and now I'm psyched to play.
Same here bro, I hope I get to verse you :3

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm not sure how project M does cping, but the gist of CPing is to give the losing player (whoever lost the previous game) a small advantage for the next game. Game one you and your opponent agree on a neutral stage by striking off stages 1 by 1, then the loser of the first game picks the next stage (usually after the winning player "bans" one stage.

Once you are eliminated you are welcome to stay and play until the venue closes. Tournament matches take priority over friendlies, but as the tournament gets closer to the end, less setups will be used for the tournament because less players are in.

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
This will be my second tournament. HOBO 39 was my first. You should bring your tv with your Wii. Although there may be lag, we can use the setup for friendlies (that's what we used my tv for last time).

For P:M, we will be using all of Page 1 (minus Norfair, Skyworld, and SSE Jungle) for tourney legal stages. It'll be double elimination (meaning you're guaranteed two sets), most sets will be best of three, the first match will be played on one of the seven starters (bottom row of 2.5 stagelist), and then counterpicks are chosen by the loser after the winner strikes. As Tesh said, it's a way for the loser to keep a fighting chance.

D

Deleted member

Also, will any of the matches be recorded, streamed, or put on Youtube?

I'd like to get or to see some for memorabilia.

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
I guess we could still host a pm tourney...it shouldnt be too bad even if there is only like 8 people that show up

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
I might be able to...Going to have to talk to my father and see what he says about me using his car. Do you have to leave on Monday? I can probably drop you off Sunday night, but Monday night might not work. Idk, I can let you know by Tuesday whether or not I'll be able to pick you up.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
I won't be able to make it, but the least I can do is put an article up tomorrow for last minute hype on aib or somethin.

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
I won't be able to make it, but the least I can do is put an article up tomorrow for last minute hype on aib or somethin.
Like Nike say "Just do it"... This is the last one so stress that in the article. 40 events throughout 5 years is pretty sick but it will all come to an end May 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom