• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Road To Viridian City - Jersey City Monthlies - Jan 31st, 2009 - UPDATES!!

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Hey all!

Alex Strife and Crismas here, after speaking with a local venue in Jersey City, E Spot, they have generously let us use their venue to start holding smash monthlies!

I'm hoping that since NYC is without a constant venue for weeklies anymore that this would draw in everyone who went to them. Jersey City is not exactly NYC but it is very close to the city and makes for an easy commute! NO JOHNS! Seriously, it may require a couple extra dollars for fare but it is not very far into Jersey if at all. And I'm hoping all the NJites will come as well :) I will be posting up detailed directions very soon!

If you want to support us please feel free to use our sigs

Venue Information: The first date is for January 31st, 2009 with Brawl. There will be doubles and singles at this event. After this event I will look into getting Melee into this venue as well. The staff is extremely nice and helpful, so I would hope you all would show this in return when coming :D! The TV situation is as follows, the venue has 4 LCD's and has said that people are allowed to bring extra TV set up's to place, so PLEASE bring TV's!!! There are plenty of chairs for all, and there are plenty of food places to go to around the area.

Venue Info :

The E Spot
445 Central Ave.
Jersey City, NJ 07307

http://www.theEspot.com

Tournament Sign-ups begin at 11am-Noon
Tournament Begins at 12:30

DIRECTIONS:

I am going to be as helpful as possible in these directions so that everyone has an easy time getting to the venue. IF anyone has any direction suggestions that I should add or need help with please let me (Crismas) know!

From Bayonne:

• TRAIN: Take the LIGHT RAIL to PAVONIA NEWPORT and transfer to get the TONELLE AVENUE train. You will get off two stops later at the 9th street station. You will get on the elevator then go left to cross the street and will be on CONGRESS ST, walk all the way up to CENTRAL AVE and make a left and walk a couple blocks still on CENTRAL AVE and you will see the venue on the right side of the street.

From NYC by bus/train:
**NOTE there are many ways to go to this venue from NYC so I am listing the best possible ways**

• Go to Port Authority (41st and 8th), go to Gate 51 and take the mini van, cost is only 2.50 -- You will take this bus to BLEECKER STREET (ask the bus driver). You will then walk 4 blocks down to Central Ave and voila! **NOTE, the mini vans do not have schedules but they run every 5 minutes, the last bus is 11:30pm going back to NYC**
  • Go to Port Authority and take the 125 bus at Gate 407 (SCHEDULE http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0125.pdf) to BLEECKER STREET (ask the bus driver). You will then walk 4 blocks down to Central Ave and voila!
  • Go to Port Authority and take the 126 bus (SCHEDULE AND GATE# http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0126.pdf) to HOBOKEN which is the last stop then follow any of the two directions below. **NOTE on this schedule, you'll see little notes, you can take the L or LL but not the S**
  • Go to 32nd and 6th ave to catch the PATH train to HOBOKEN once there you will catch the 85 bus at the terminal (look for the marquee that says what buses stop where), fare is 1.35 (SCHEDULE -- http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0085.pdf) and take it to Central Ave. You will see "Kay's Spring Garden" when you get off and you'll walk left of that down two blocks where the venue will be on the right side of the street. **NOTE I personally think this is the easiest way to get to the venue**
  • Alternate to above is to take the 87 bus (http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0087.pdf), you will get off at CONGRESS AND PALISADES and then walk up CONGRESS STREET until you reach CENTRAL AVE then take the same walking directions as above. **NOTE I only suggest this way if you're running late and wanna catch something quick**

I placed bus schedules next to every bus for a reason, so you're aware of times for going and leaving and planning your best course of travel!

From NYC by car:

This first page will often be updated, so keep checking for rulesets, entry fees, directions and more.

These monthlies will be run by both me and Alex so please contact either of us regarding any questions or post up here!

Pricing

$5 Venue Fee
$10 Singles
$10 Doubles ( 5 per person )

Rules for SSBB

- 3 stock
- 7 minute time limit
- Best 2 of 3. finals matches (losers/winners/grand) being best 3 of 5
- Double Elimination
- Items are OFF including smash ball

Doubles :

• Team attack ON
• Life stealing is allowed

Neutral:

* Final Destination
* Battlefield
* Yoshi's Story
* Smashville
* Lylat

Stages for Counterpick:

* Delfino Plaza
* Frigate Orpheon
* Battleship Halberd
* Castle Siege
* Rainbow Cruise
* Brinstar
* Pokemon Stadium 1
* Pokemon Stadium 2

Banned Stages:

*Everything Else

Mages Dq Rules :
2 Minutes Late: Warning/Loss of first stock
4 Minutes Late: Loss of first match of set
6 Minutes Late: Loss of set

Stage Banning: Each player / team may select up to 2 stages that will be banned from the tournament set. however, only one of the banned stages can be a neutral stage. (ex. yoshi's island and corneria makes a VALID ban. corneria and brinstar makes a VALID ban. yoshi's island and battlefield makes an INVALID ban.)

Stage Strike Rule:
If a stage is selected at random, each player / team can elect to reset the stage pick ONCE PER SET. the reset all must occur within 3 seconds of the start of the match.

Counterpick Rule: The loser of the match first chooses the stage that the next match of the set will be played on. The opponent, then, makes the choice of changing character or not. than the loser of the match selects his/her character.

If the loser of the match chooses to select the stage at random. The opponent CANNOT change character. The loser of the match than makes the choice of changing character or not.
• Excessive "stall" tactics are banned.
• Controller Mods are banned
Violation of any rule is punishable by non-refunded disqualification.

In the event of a TIE at the end of the time limit, the player with the most stocks wins. If both players have one stock then it is decided by percentage. If both players have ONE STOCK and SAME PERCENTAGE the players will quit the SUDDEN DEATH, set the stock to one, and start a match with stage being the same as where they had the tie. This will determine the winner.

Each Round is best of three matches; Grand/Losers/Winners Finals are best of five matches*

Singles seeding will be random with some courtesy to crews – you will be spaced evenly as to prevent playing each other in the first round. One of the two criteria must be fulfilled in ordered to be favored. You MUST have 3 or more people in a group hailing from the same region, or you must be part of a crew. Teams seeding will be done randomly.

Setups :

Ok this is where I need your help. I need setups ASAP. My goal is at least 7-10 setups so please bring setups and I may just get like a pie for all of us ( not domino's pizza pie but a real pie ).

Also if you can please bring component cables for the wii. The store only has LCD's and I need those cables to help take the lag down significantly.

My Goal :

My goal is to simple get something going for NYC/NJ where both can travel and come to a middle ground. This venue is EASY to get to for NYC and not a bad drive for those in NJ...Support this so we can have more here.

So I guess you guys gotta get ready to play.

Hope to see everyone there!

Sintros

Smash Journeyman
heh, count me in then. I hope crismas is selling stickes on the side. I want a Luigi one for muh other troller :). So that means no NYC monthlies? Also is their parking?

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I am doing bigger things but this would be a nice interlude to Apex and thats almost ready too.

Kai973

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like a great idea to me alex. I'll be waiting for those details and best of luck with the arrangements:)

The Pope

Smash Apprentice
WTF!? Jersey City!? Hell yeah I'll be on this.

Alex, if you need help in this, I'll be happy to help out. I live in JC so I'll be able to help out. Contact me on AIM if you need a contact number or e-mail. My AIM sn is AznKreatzionz.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
I will def do this crew battle i would be pallet town though xD

who is up for Pokemon city crew battles
:o

That would be sexy

I would so do that. I'm going with cerulian city cause they got hot female trainers :3

I really want to rep. Vermilion City though. electric pokemon ftw :D

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
update the info sorry about that

also bump cause too many ppl put crap up on jan 31st :(

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
err can someone meet with me along the way there? i like walking/riding with people.

RDT

Smash Rookie
I'm so disappointed. I was going to attend, but stuff came up.
But it's monthly right? What weekend next month will this be?

ADHD

Smash Hero
no crews? :( anyway, i need a teammate, im adhd on allisbrawl for those who don't know

chaos_

Smash Journeyman
Never mind i have the directions

anyone want to team up with me?

Top Bottom