• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Riverside Meleers

shadowboii

Smash Apprentice
P's legit, people just give him **** because of his attitude. But deep down, we all know he's good.

Fsho-

I'll call you up tomorrow after 5, and I'll smash for a while.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Quote of the day

"marth dittos are really balanced" -SDR

Dazu

Smash Cadet
Hey Fsho, I can coach you some and help you at if you'd like to. Im down to play everyday after 5, saturdays Im down to play after I get back from playing ITG with my team around 10PM so we can play all night, and then sundays I have the smashfest here in Riverside if you could make those sometime it'd be nice. But yeah hit me up whenever.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Why are you calling me a ****** =\

Adam M!

Smash Lord
it costs $15

that's 3x as much as it costs me for you to come to Glendale; the nicest neighborhood with awesome Thai food and drunk men graciously opening doors for you!

=(

just come over some day.... please

i'll have carrots and fruits and vegetables for you in a big bowl if you say yes.

Not to mention I'm no longer sick! And I'm a tad bit better than before!

Edit: and i accidentally fall off the stage and wallhop knee for sexy kills. haha!

Double Edit: its like $30 going and coming back
well it seems like you really want to get better, but

the better you get, the less you want to play people way below your skill level. i mean, it's never a problem if i don't have to do any/much work to play you, but going to glendale definitely qualifies as a lot of work. i very, very rarely will unless you give me great incentive. you giving me great incentive or going out of your way to play me is proof that you really want to get better -- actions speak louder than words -- so then in turn i would be more willing to inconvenience myself to play you. otherwise you're just another bad player i am too lazy to play.

hahahaha luigi is awesome. but no one pays me for training lol. as long as they're not douchebags and really wanna get better i'll help anyone

and it's funny cuz luigi would play me all the time but never teach me ****, just **** me over and over. but that's how you learn cuz most people can't be taught until a certain skill level

Adam M!

Smash Lord
no you weren't *****

you're still the same old sdr, i dunno why you try to convince anyone differently

Knivez

Smash Ace
Yeah, i had to **** Luigi for quite a while before he learned that he could actually think while playing.

shadowboii

Smash Apprentice
It seems like most of the pros agree that newer players usually just play and don't think.

What are some type of stuff we should be thinking while training?

Adam M!

Smash Lord
focus on getting good, consistent tech skill and eliminating bad habits. you can't be good until you have the fundamentals down

Fabian

Smash Journeyman
shadowboii
when your playing someone like durr
and you wonder why everytime you techroll he knows exactly where your going and punishes you, like he's reading your mind
you should be thinking about, firstly why you got hit
then why you roll in the same direction everytime after you get hit
stuff like that to fix your game =]

Luigios

Smash Apprentice
shadowboii
when your playing someone like durr
and you wonder why everytime you techroll he knows exactly where your going and punishes you, like he's reading your mind
you should be thinking about, firstly why you got hit
then why you roll in the same direction everytime after you get hit
stuff like that to fix your game =]
Fabian should take his own advice against me =D

and it's funny cuz luigi would play me all the time but never teach me ****, just **** me over and over. but that's how you learn cuz most people can't be taught until a certain skill level
And ******, I did teach you a lot of things when you were just a baby. I pretty much taught you the entire Falco matchup.

shadowboii

Smash Apprentice
-Fabian

So in the beginning, it is best to learn our noob habits?

Would we need to think about the match up, reads, spacing, tech skills, and counter picking?

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
get technical
stop doing the things that get you punished

spacing and tech skills are the first part
matchup reads and counter picking (lol) can only be learned through experience

FsHO

Smash Cadet
Hey Fsho, I can coach you some and help you at if you'd like to. Im down to play everyday after 5, saturdays Im down to play after I get back from playing ITG with my team around 10PM so we can play all night, and then sundays I have the smashfest here in Riverside if you could make those sometime it'd be nice. But yeah hit me up whenever.
yea fosho man, i finish most of my classes by 12 so im to down to smash for a lil bit but i dont got a car so we gotta play here or get picked up or sumthin :)

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Let's play tonight

or tomorrow night

Someone host it up.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
-Fabian

So in the beginning, it is best to learn our noob habits?

Would we need to think about the match up, reads, spacing, tech skills, and counter picking?
don't be too overeager, either. if you're too eager, you'll try to do too many things at once, end up with information overload and end up getting nothing accomplished. first things first -- you need to know about the game. read up, learn as much as you can about your character, watch a lot of matches, etc. this is why getting tech skill is useful -- you can't get tech skill without also learning stuff like spacing, patience, timing, etc. in the process.

after that (tho you should never stop practing tech skill), isolate your bad habits and try to get rid of them one by one. sometimes you'll need your bad habits pointed out to you. some examples: reckless shield grabbing, attacking from off the ledge, trying to attack your opponent from above, spamming spot dodge, etc.

Dazu

Smash Cadet
don't be too overeager, either. if you're too eager, you'll try to do too many things at once, end up with information overload and end up getting nothing accomplished. first things first -- you need to know about the game. read up, learn as much as you can about your character, watch a lot of matches, etc. this is why getting tech skill is useful -- you can't get tech skill without also learning stuff like spacing, patience, timing, etc. in the process.

after that (tho you should never stop practing tech skill), isolate your bad habits and try to get rid of them one by one. sometimes you'll need your bad habits pointed out to you. some examples: reckless shield grabbing, attacking from off the ledge, trying to attack your opponent from above, spamming spot dodge, etc.
Best thing that helped me when I started getting serious and stuff was watching people play, like the pros mostly and seeing how things work, what it should feel like, and like how this game just is meant to be played. Like it is hard to exaplain, but for some reason seeing and feeling it live was just so much more help then reading or watching videos.....my brain was just magically turned on that weekend in a whole new light and I just think smarter about everything and just things work. Maybe this is only me, but it seems like physically being in the presence of these people and talking to them and seeing them and everything is the best way to start out getting better.

shadowboii

Smash Apprentice
I played with Fsho today, and I've already found a couple of bad habits that I need to change. I think slowing things down and think about every movement you and your opponent make really do help you improve a lot.

I still need a lot of help with tech skills though, I don't really know how to shffl correctly. If I can see some players do shffling in real life, it will be easier for me to learn the hand motion and timing. So I'm going to try to make it to these smash fests, where I can meet more players.

I understand what you mean Dazu, I never played Shiek until today, and she turned out to be my best character. It's mostly because I watch so much match ups, that I figure out what are the most efficient moves. So even without a lot of tech skills, I know how to follow up combos and it helped me a lot. That was just from online videos too, I can't imagine how big of an impact meeting real players would make.

Dazu

Smash Cadet
Trust mate it is a great experience haha. But yeah, make it out to the smash fest this sunday and we can play and Ill help you out with some stuff, I know alot about Sheik

shadowboii

Smash Apprentice
I can't go on Sunday, because my laptop messed up after I installed the windows update. I have to go back home on the weekends to get it fixed.

I might go to the one tomorrow if I can get a ride though. I really want to go and just learn more about smash, I feel really excited about getting better.

Dazu

Smash Cadet
Thats good man. Yeah if you could make it out to my place tomorrow and chill thatd be cool.

FsHO

Smash Cadet
hey shadow was fun man we should play again :) and dazu teacha me the skillzz brooo!! i can wave dash fairly well i can shffl fairly well i just play bad lol i got the tools i just need to learn what to do with them! when i played with SDR and his friends i got ***** every match except like 2 matchs were i got SUPER lucky.
and i finally decided i wanna be a FALCON MAIN WOOO!!

shadowboii

Smash Apprentice
PM me your number? I'll give you a call if I find a ride from someone on the forum. Lol.

Dazu

Smash Cadet
Ah nice dude! I used to secondary Falcon so I know tons about him haha, but now I second Samus caz Huggs inspired me so much, I sat right next to that guy at HAX as he beat Lucky, it was great. But yeah both you guys should come over tomorrow and we could get to work! :p

shadowboii

Smash Apprentice
Lol, my favorite falcon is still SS. Even though his ranking isn't the highest, he's definitely the second sexiest falcon alive. (Isai will always be #1)

Dazu-

I kind of want to main falco or fox, but I'm having some hard time learning how to shine correctly. I can't get the range and timing right. I also find it very hard to approach with shines, so I usually end up not shining with the two of them.

Fsho-

I'll try to call you up at times, I feel kind of bad because I have three midterms this week, lol.

Dazu

Smash Cadet
Well fool I main Falco, and I got some tips from Zhu and Mango so I really know what Im doing. Id be more then happy to take you on as my apprentice falco player.

shadowboii

Smash Apprentice
Man, I'm happy that I can be someone's apprentice.

I'll try my best to be the next falco player in Cali.

It feels like we have a new one every year.

shadowboii

Smash Apprentice
Will you be going Luigios?

And out of curiosity, do you **** people to show them the mistakes they make? Or do you **** people for fun?

Top Bottom