• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

akf09

Smash Apprentice
I dont like clones, I like alternates. For me, Dr Mario is an alternate. He doesnt quite play like Mario, but has many similarities. Falco is a Fox alternate in Brawl. Lucas is a Ness alternate and so on! Maybe he could be an alternate, but I agree first unique characters then Clones.
if your gunna call dr mario an alternate instead of a clone then melee doesnt have any clones haha and i do know the differences in their playstyles

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
if your gunna call dr mario an alternate instead of a clone then melee doesnt have any clones haha and i do know the differences in their playstyles
I mean Smash 4 Dr Mario, in Melee he's a huge clone. Melee's chok full of clones! Haha, but yeah, I like the idea though. :3

akf09

Smash Apprentice
as long as the two characters have different properties then i think its fine, all characters in smash are at least slightly different.

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
as long as the two characters have different properties then i think its fine, all characters in smash are at least slightly different.
Agreed on the different properties, not on the second part. Most characters have a different moveset and other different factors like size and fall speed. Except in RoA all have the same fall/move speed except Wrastor which has the lowest in all.

Last edited:

akf09

Smash Apprentice
Agreed on the different properties, not on the second part. Most characters have a different moveset and other different factors like size and fall speed. Except in RoA all have the same fall/move speed except Wrastor which has the lowest in all.

i dont understan how you dont agree but ok

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
So yes, I'll leave the traps untouched for now.

Side Special: Hmm... Yes it needs a change. Remember that if he has the "Missfire" then Missfire + Trap would deal too much damage for no effort. So a way to keep people grounded would be better! Any suggestions from anyone in the forums would be highly appreciated :). I thought of like a semi-spike move, where'd it hit people downwards diagonally, but with so much hitstun in the game it'd be too broken. I'll observe some fighting game moves, and see if I can find one suitable with the character.

Neutral: Seems fair. No movespeed slow, though. I dont know how Dan feels about movespeed changes, but I dont like them too much. Also, this trap lasts less, maybe 1~1.5 seconds. Wouldn't be fair if you could trap the opponent, and then re-trap him by placing another one.

ELEMENTALS: Like I said, I DESPISE movespeed slows (Thank you, League, for making me hate them.) They can potentially change the pace, in my opinion. I just threw it in randomly. I'd like feedback here too. Passive things are my game. Maybe make it so that enemies take Damage over Time inside of the traps?

All feedback that can be given is appreciated :p.
Neutral - The reason why i suggest it to be a little bit slower is so it doesn't just become a spammed move like pikachu's

Side Special - Try looking at some sand based fighting game characters like kan-ra

Elementals - How about if you press down b again after you have layed a sand trap down some kind of sand wave comes and attacks the players or some kind of sand copy of you that does the same things as you for a limited time and then the sand copy disappears (like the ice climbers)

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
Neutral - The reason why i suggest it to be a little bit slower is so it doesn't just become a spammed move like pikachu's

Side Special - Try looking at some sand based fighting game characters like kan-ra

Elementals - How about if you press down b again after you have layed a sand trap down some kind of sand wave comes and attacks the players or some kind of sand copy of you that does the same things as you for a limited time and then the sand copy disappears (like the ice climbers)
Neutral: Ahh! I thought you meant the enemy's move speed, not the projectile's! In which case, yes, it has quite a bit of startup so it cant be spammed to much, but enough startup that it can be done in succession as well. Like if you use it, you can throw another one after the 1st one has almost covered its full distance.

Elementals: How about a Sand Wave which pushes enemies a bit. That would help with getting enemies in traps! Wait... THIS SHOULD BE HIS SIDE SPECIAL!

EDIT: I'm interested in Kan Ra's sand-hand. It could also be Nhab's side special. It appears infront of Nhab and goes veritcally up a set distance and if it touches someone, it brings them down!

Last edited:

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Hey guys, we found some glitches I think

Glitch 1:
If you make it so that the top of your pillar is close enough to a platform (above or below), you can do sliding attacks and have them be ledge canceled from Kragg falling off. Anything will work; smashes, dash attacks, ftilt, etc.

Glitch 2:

Single-player Mine Kragg. I've seen someone else show the Mine Kragg glitch by using two Kraggs to take turns picking blocks up, but apparently Kragg can build structures all by himself. All you need to do run on a block and press neutral b so as to slide off while you pick it up. Theres a slight timing factor, but it's lenient. Make sure you check out the tower to heaven (go to about 1:05 ), lol ;).

Last edited:

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
Neutral: Ahh! I thought you meant the enemy's move speed, not the projectile's! In which case, yes, it has quite a bit of startup so it cant be spammed to much, but enough startup that it can be done in succession as well. Like if you use it, you can throw another one after the 1st one has almost covered its full distance.

Elementals: How about a Sand Wave which pushes enemies a bit. That would help with getting enemies in traps! Wait... THIS SHOULD BE HIS SIDE SPECIAL!

EDIT: I'm interested in Kan Ra's sand-hand. It could also be Nhab's side special. It appears infront of Nhab and goes veritcally up a set distance and if it touches someone, it brings them down!
Neutral - That sound really good and less spammy :D

Elementals - That sounds really good actually (but i kinda like the sound of a sand hand better :D)

ZaoMonichi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noaharc10
3DS FC
4398-9530-8610
Yo. Got bored and decided to make this character come to life. This sprite is a larger version of what she would look like, as I've seen the other official characters have. Didn't know how else to start.

Honestly it could use tuning (edit: like how blank the robe is, though isn't much to add onto it,) but I think it's okay for now. Oh, and I totally went against the description and made the character have a robe sort of deal instead of a cloak/cape/shawl thing. I tried the shawl, but it turned out weird because I had to use something to block the hip region, if you know what I mean, and it seemed weird to make it a primal looking piece of cloth on string for a fox who is skilled in magic and is fast and stuff, y'know? I could've found a way around it, but I ended up turning the bottom of the shawl into the bottom of the robe. This also made the character look a lot better in my opinion because the legs and arms looked a little skinny and weak, but that was just due to how I drew it. My final reason for this choice is that I would much rather see a ice magic user (range focused mostly) over a speedy quick character like Sheik because if this character turns out well I would love to make Nhab (by @ DrMister DrMister ) an assassin/ninja-like sand character similar to Sheik.

I'm going to do the actual fighting sprites and stuff tomorrow because I'm tired after working on this for the past couple of hours. Hope you like it!

Last edited:

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
Neutral - That sound really good and less spammy :D

Elementals - That sounds really good actually (but i kinda like the sound of a sand hand better :D)
So I stayed up until around 12 last night watching Kan Ra. I should start watching Killer Instinct more often it's really good. Kan Ra can be such an influencial character for Nhab, it's crazy! After some thought this is what I did:

Side Special: Nhab forms a sandy wave which pushes enemies a small distance and causes minimal damage. (Essentially used to push enemies to the traps)

Elementals: After two traps have been set, if Nhab uses his Down Special, the trap closest to Nhab will create a hand which goes upwards and can grab an enemy. It then brings them down.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Ah, I see you already changed SSpecial. I was going to make some recommendations when I got home from work and find some more resources to pull inspiration from.

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
Ah, I see you already changed SSpecial. I was going to make some recommendations when I got home from work and find some more resources to pull inspiration from.
Yeah, @ likiji123 likiji123 helped out a lot, he told me to see Kan Ra, which helped out alot.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Well I'll go ahead and tell you what character I thought of when you described Nhab as a gator and had a Luigi SideB.

I still believe Nhab could use a SSpecial recovery, so I'll explain what I came up with. Think of it more like a Meta Knight SideB that you change the distance it goes based on how long you charge it like Luigi's. It would be cool if it popped the opponent up for combos like Teddies Bearscrew from P4A. I'll go into other things when I'm not on mobile lol.

MrTurner

Smash Rookie
NNID
imnotonfire
3DS FC
4339-2611-0575
I don't see how people can be talking about clones right now when there's only going to be 8 playable characters (at least at first). They seem kinda unnecessary and would make the roster look weak instead of pad it out.

Speaking of which, is the game going to be updated after release? Adding a few more characters down the line could be interesting.

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
Well I'll go ahead and tell you what character I thought of when you described Nhab as a gator and had a Luigi SideB.

I still believe Nhab could use a SSpecial recovery, so I'll explain what I came up with. Think of it more like a Meta Knight SideB that you change the distance it goes based on how long you charge it like Luigi's. It would be cool if it popped the opponent up for combos like Teddies Bearscrew from P4A. I'll go into other things when I'm not on mobile lol.
It seems interesting. I'll be patiently waiting :p

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Alright, I don't have much time till I leave so I'll try to make it quick.

Here is a tab of all the relevant footage I could find to help anyone who doesn't know what I'm referencing:
Wheel Gator boss fight. He uses his spin attack at around 7:58 and 8:20

Teddie's Bearscrew attack happens at around 0:21 and 0:29

Snake Man boss battle.
There are some videos you can watch to get an idea of what I'm talking about. I put up the Snake Man video because that is what I assume Nhab's NSpecial will behave like except with only 1 snake of course trailing the ground.

Some other things I wanted to talk about were your characters ability to trap grounded opponents. You don't want movement speed to be impeded upon, but I do believe that snaring an opponent is what this character should do. Basically, this character would have RoA's equivalent to a pitfall/buried state or even similar to a paralyzed state. I think that not only should his DSpecial have the trapping effect, but his snakes should also have a minor snaring effect. Wiggling could lessen the time an opponent is stuck in this state, and the effort and base time required for Snakes would be about half of that required for DSpecial.

Another thing I wanted to ask you about is the characters weight and speed class. when I imagine a gator-esque character, I'm going to assume he has a little more bulk behind his attacks with a minor sacrifice to speed. I'm thinking like just a bit faster than Kragg, attack and movement speed wise.

Also, for his normals and aerials, have you ever considered basing some off of Charizard? I'm specifically thinking of PM Charizard myself, but his FTilt and UpAir would be decent candidates. Possibly even some smashes like DSmash. Luigi, Charizard, and Pikachu mix sounds particularly interesting and brutal.

Anyways, I had a couple other ideas but I've run outta time so I'll have to end it here. Hope you find some of this interesting or helpful in anyway.

Last edited:

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
Last edited:

ZaoMonichi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noaharc10
3DS FC
4398-9530-8610
No Problem :D
also @ ZaoMonichi ZaoMonichi
you should read Nhab's moveset first as some moves use claws and his tail so a concept of assassin/ninja-like doesn't fit that well

and whoever runs this website http://rivalsofaether.weebly.com/roa--skins.html
its not Asian Zetterburn its ASLAN Zetterburn
It was just an idea I had. I did read his entire moveset, though. My idea was that he turned into sand. I don't know, because I like the moveset and idea, but there is already a brute kind of character so I was thinking a quick assassin-like character would help diversify the roster if added. Again, just an idea from me, but with the moveset I agree that maybe a sand monster would fit the moveset a little more.

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
It was just an idea I had. I did read his entire moveset, though. My idea was that he turned into sand. I don't know, because I like the moveset and idea, but there is already a brute kind of character so I was thinking a quick assassin-like character would help diversify the roster if added. Again, just an idea from me, but with the moveset I agree that maybe a sand monster would fit the moveset a little more.
I was thinking some kind of mummified raptor

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
Alright, I don't have much time till I leave so I'll try to make it quick.

Here is a tab of all the relevant footage I could find to help anyone who doesn't know what I'm referencing:
Wheel Gator boss fight. He uses his spin attack at around 7:58 and 8:20

Teddie's Bearscrew attack happens at around 0:21 and 0:29

Snake Man boss battle.
There are some videos you can watch to get an idea of what I'm talking about. I put up the Snake Man video because that is what I assume Nhab's NSpecial will behave like except with only 1 snake of course trailing the ground.

Some other things I wanted to talk about were your characters ability to trap grounded opponents. You don't want movement speed to be impeded upon, but I do believe that snaring an opponent is what this character should do. Basically, this character would have RoA's equivalent to a pitfall/buried state or even similar to a paralyzed state. I think that not only should his DSpecial have the trapping effect, but his snakes should also have a minor snaring effect. Wiggling could lessen the time an opponent is stuck in this state, and the effort and base time required for Snakes would be about half of that required for DSpecial.

Another thing I wanted to ask you about is the characters weight and speed class. when I imagine a gator-esque character, I'm going to assume he has a little more bulk behind his attacks with a minor sacrifice to speed. I'm thinking like just a bit faster than Kragg, attack and movement speed wise.

Also, for his normals and aerials, have you every considering basing some off of Charizard? I'm specifically thinking of PM Charizard myself, but his FTilt and UpAir would be decent candidates. Possibly even some smashes like DSmash. Luigi, Charizard, and Pikachu mix sounds particularly interesting and brutal.

Anyways, I had a couple other ideas but I've run outta time so I'll have to end it here. Hope you find some of this interesting or helpful in anyway.

His neutral special is based on pikachu's buuuuut, I kinda like that one. It feels better, since if we use Pikachu's it has the chance to miss, unlike Snake Man's which wouldn't miss. Essentially Trap = Pitfall, so the snake would miss a trapped opponent if we go with Pikachu's Neutral. I preffer Snake Man's snake, so I'm going to fix that.

Snaring snakes, huh? Well it essentially had something planned like that. Well, I'd like some more insight on this.

Yes, he's supposed to be a bulky monster of a gator, kinda like Renekton from League of Legends. I'll post a picture of him at the end of this post, for those of you unfamiliar with him. He's slow, but not SSB4 Dedede slow. More SSB4 Bowser slow! He's in the middle, sacrificing a neutral character's aka Zetterburn's speed for a much more brute-like approach.

As for the Charizard, no, but it's actually the closest character to Nhab from Smash! I essentially used his Downwards aimed FTilt as Nhab's DTilt. Project M Charizard's UAir is funny looking, and it would fit too. DSmash seems interesting too, as it would fit. I'm going to play SSB4 right now, and I'll use Char and see if any moves stick out.

Last edited:

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
TL;DR
New update! Snakes now longer arc when they reach the floor, they now keep moving
fowards. Aerials which were completely ripped from Charizard were added ;-;.

Nhab is widely recognized in the Shifting Sands for his barbaric attitude and his brutal deeds. He was the one who attempted to assassinate the Water City's highest commanding officer. He was born in an area of the Shifting Sands where chaos reigned in every corner. He saw it as something normal, until one day he snapped. Many say it was because of the death of his parents before his very eyes. Others say it was because someone stole his most prized possession, a gift from a deceased friend. There is one thing everyone knows for sure, though. That he takes pity on no one.

Movelist
NEUTRALS AND TILTS
Jab Combo: 4%, 4%, 6% - Swipes 2 times with his tail, and then bites powerfully with his jaw
Side Tilt: 9% - Hits with his claw
Down Tilt: 6% - Quickly swipes the floor with his tail
Up Tilt: 8% - Forcefully raises his fists in the air
SPECIALS
Slithering Sand (Neutral Special): 5%(In air) ~ 7% (Grounded) Tosses a snake formed by the sand of his village, which travels foward in an arcing motion. If falling, it goes diagonally down. (Pikachu's Neutral B)
Sandstorm Propulsion (Side Special): 5%(Uncharged), 20%(Fully Charged) - Using his sands as propulsion, Nhab flies in foward. After 4 shots, the 5th is a Sandstorm Shot, which sends him farther and deals more damage and more knockback.
Sand Trap (Down Special): 3% - Creates a sand trap a few blocks away from him. Immobilizes a person from 1~2 seconds. Cannot trap the same person for 4 seconds after being released. Trap's stay in the stage, until someone activates it. Maximum of 2(3?) unactivated traps.
Shifting Uppercut (Up Special): 1%(In-air), 10%(Grounded), 25%(Trapped Opponent) - Using his power and the power of sand, Nhab does a mighty uppercut which then sends him to special fall. He has no movement during the uppercut, and when falling can move. Has a sweetspot which raises both damage and knockback. (Luigi's Super Jump Punch)
STRONG ATTACKS (SMASHES)
Side Smash: Does a heavy punch infront of him
Down Smash: Stomps the ground, causing sand and debris of the ground to bounce (Charizard's Down Smash)
Up Smash: Does a headbutt upwards (Luigi's Up Smash)
AERIALS
Neutral Air: Spins around and whips his tail while spinning (Charizard's NAir)
Foward Air: Swipes his claw in front of him (Charizard's Fair)
Up Air: Bites above him (Charizard's Project M UAir)
Back Air: Swipes his tail behind him (Charizards Bair)
ELEMENTAL POWERS
Crushing Traps: [To be fixed]
Sandstorm Shot: [To be changed]
??? (Open for suggestions :p)

Dumb Trivia!
Interestingly enough, Nhab means Marauder in Arabic, I translated it from English to Arab and from Arab to the Latin Alphabet!
I spent 4 Hours mimicking the trailer's text while being entertained by Sanic's amazing stream! Check it out whenever you guys can!
The picture (the name text) is based off of the trailer's introduction text! Completely made by me by EYE! No rips whatsoever!

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
I talked to Xan about this before but I noticed something very important.

As characters get buffs / nerfs, the GIF's on the official website become invalid. Example: Wrastor's GIF with the upB kill, seeing as knockback from it was decreased from 0.7 to 0.4.

So as new versions come out, try to record your game and make clear quality GIF's to replace the old invalid ones on the site, people.

T00nbink

Smash Cadet

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
thanks
i made these btw
Christmas Zetterburn

Purple Wrastor

Is that the way he will look or just something you found?
It's a charcter from League of Legends, I just used the picture to express how I'd like for him to look.

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
You might like this. I redid your artwork to have proper dimensions and redid the sand design a bit.
Oh my god. I just died a bit. I have officially died. I love u. I wish I could use it as my signature xP

Last edited:

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
After seeing all the amazing input from everyone else in the forums, Nhab has evolved from a mere idea from a Smash Newcomer to a Full-Fledeged Community Project. Thanks for all your support guys. :)

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
After seeing all the amazing input from everyone else in the forums, Nhab has evolved from a mere idea from a Smash Newcomer to a Full-Fledeged Community Project. Thanks for all your support guys. :)
No Problem :)

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Yo, anyone know why I'd get an error for just simply trying to select a character on my new laptop with Win 8.1?

Specifically this:

D3DXCompile failed - result

at gml_Script_cs_drawplayerbg_scr
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_cs_drawplayerbg_scr (line 0)
gml_Object_cs_playerbg_obj_Draw_0

Last edited:

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
Yo, anyone know why I'd get an error for just simply trying to select a character on my new laptop with Win 8.1?

Specifically this:

############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
That happend to me as well, hope its gets fixed

Last edited:

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
You

Specifically this:

stack frame is
You didnt press Z, right? It does that if you press Z

Top Bottom