• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
TL;DR
New version! Updated his traps so that they actually stay in stage and have the ability to keep 2. Side Special is no longer RDM, it is now based on a charge system. Made some text much better looking. His SPECIALS now have names! Also added his ELEMENTAL POWERS (missing one though...)! A small lore rework too.

Nhab is widely recognized in the Shifting Sands for his barbaric attitude and his brutal deeds. He was the one who attempted to assassinate the Water City's highest commanding officer. He was born in an area of the Shifting Sands where chaos reigned in every corner. He saw it as something normal, until one day he snapped. Many say it was because of the death of his parents before his very eyes. Others say it was because someone stole his most prized possession, a gift from a deceased friend. There is one thing everyone knows for sure, though. That he takes pity on no one.

Movelist
NEUTRALS AND TILTS
Jab Combo: 4%, 4%, 6% - Swipes 2 times with his tail, and then bites powerfully with his jaw
Side Tilt: 9% - Hits with his claw
Down Tilt: 6% - Quickly swipes the floor with his tail
Up Tilt: 8% - Forcefully raises his fists in the air
SPECIALS
Slithering Sand (Neutral Special): 5%(In air) ~ 7% (Grounded) Tosses a snake formed by the sand of his village, which travels foward in an arcing motion. If falling, it goes diagonally down. (Pikachu's Neutral B)
Sandstorm Propulsion (Side Special): 5%(Uncharged), 20%(Fully Charged) - Using his sands as propulsion, Nhab flies in foward. After 4 shots, the 5th is a Sandstorm Shot, which sends him farther and deals more damage and more knockback.
Sand Trap (Down Special): 3% - Creates a sand trap a few blocks away from him. Immobilizes a person from 1~2 seconds. Cannot trap the same person for 4 seconds after being released. Trap's stay in the stage, until someone activates it. Maximum of 2(3?) unactivated traps.
Shifting Uppercut (Up Special): 1%(In-air), 10%(Grounded), 25%(Trapped Opponent) - Using his power and the power of sand, Nhab does a mighty uppercut which then sends him to special fall. He has no movement during the uppercut, and when falling can move. Has a sweetspot which raises both damage and knockback. (Luigi's Super Jump Punch)
STRONG ATTACKS (SMASHES)
????
ELEMENTAL POWERS
Crushing Traps: Enemies Trapped in Nhab's traps take increased damage.
Sandstorm Shot: After 4 uses of Sandstorm Propulsion, his 5th shot will send him farther and deal significantly more damage and knockback!
??? (Open for suggestions :p)

Dumb Trivia!
Interestingly enough, Nhab means Marauder in Arabic, I translated it from English to Arab and from Arab to the Latin Alphabet!
I spent 4 Hours mimicking the trailer's text while being entertained by Sanic's amazing stream! Check it out whenever you guys can!
The picture (the name text) is based off of the trailer's introduction text! Completely made by me by EYE! No rips whatsoever!

Last edited:

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
TL;DR
New version! Updated his traps so that they actually stay in stage and have the ability to keep 2. Side Special is no longer RDM, it is now based on a charge system. Made some text much better looking. His SPECIALS now have names! Also added his ELEMENTAL POWERS (missing one though...)! A small lore rework too.

Nhab is widely recognized in the Shifting Sands for his barbaric attitude and his brutal deeds. He was the one who attempted to assassinate the Water City's highest commanding officer. He was born in an area of the Shifting Sands where chaos reigned in every corner. He saw it as something normal, until one day he snapped. Many say it was because of the death of his parents before his very eyes. Others say it was because someone stole his most prized possession, a gift from a deceased friend. There is one thing everyone knows for sure, though. That he takes pity on no one.

Movelist
NEUTRALS AND TILTS
Jab Combo: 4%, 4%, 6% - Swipes 2 times with his tail, and then bites powerfully with his jaw
Side Tilt: 9% - Hits with his claw
Down Tilt: 6% - Quickly swipes the floor with his tail
Up Tilt: 8% - Forcefully raises his fists in the air
SPECIALS
Slithering Sand (Neutral Special): 5%(In air) ~ 7% (Grounded) Tosses a snake formed by the sand of his village, which travels foward in an arcing motion. If falling, it goes diagonally down. (Pikachu's Neutral B)
Sandstorm Propulsion (Side Special): 5%(Uncharged), 20%(Fully Charged) - Using his sands as propulsion, Nhab flies in foward. After 4 shots, the 5th is a Sandstorm Shot, which sends him farther and deals more damage and more knockback.
Sand Trap (Down Special): 3% - Creates a sand trap a few blocks away from him. Immobilizes a person from 1~2 seconds. Cannot trap the same person for 4 seconds after being released. Trap's stay in the stage, until someone activates it. Maximum of 2(3?) unactivated traps.
Shifting Uppercut (Up Special): 1%(No Sweetspot) ~ 25%(Sweetspot) - Using his power and the power of sand, Nhab does a mighty uppercut which then sends him to special fall. He has no movement during the uppercut, and when falling can move. Has a sweetspot which raises both damage and knockback. (Luigi's Super Jump Punch)
STRONG ATTACKS (SMASHES)
????
ELEMENTAL POWERS
Crushing Traps: Enemies Trapped in Nhab's traps take increased damage.
Sandstorm Shot: After 4 uses of Sandstorm Propulsion, his 5th shot will send him farther and deal significantly more damage and knockback!
??? (Open for suggestions :p)

Dumb Trivia!
Interestingly enough, Nhab means Marauder in Arabic, I translated it from English to Arab and from Arab to the Latin Alphabet!
I spent 4 Hours mimicking the trailer's text while being entertained by Sanic's amazing stream! Check it out whenever you guys can!
The picture (the name text) is based off of the trailer's introduction text! Completely made by me by EYE! No rips whatsoever!
Will you be making sprites for this character or no (because i have an idea of what he could look like but im not that good at spriting)

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
Will you be making sprites for this character or no (because i have an idea of what he could look like but im not that good at spriting)
Not right now, no, so I'd be VERY honored if you do it. Glad someone liked my character idea. :)

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
i like your ideas about enemies being unable to tech on ice, and not all characters are all about their affects on the map. zetter for example is unique due to his burning combo system and only has 1 way to change the map
He also has a regular spammable projectile that makes people approach through the fire and the flames. It is less original but still stage control.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
I wouldn't work on character design stuff too much in detail guys. You never know when Dan is going to have a design already in place for an element and when your ideas get dropped entirely. No need to create it entirely yourself when there are already people on the team who can take your idea and make it come alive themselves. Save Dan the time of having you read so much.

On another note specifically for @ 4nace 4nace , a few players including myself and 7/20 people at my tourney who I let play with their controllers on mine/xanthus' mayflash adapters', they were unable to dash dance at all. The game couldn't pick up dashing left at all from their controllers. It was much more frequent on player 2 for the adapter than for player 1, but happened for both sides occasionally. Could the game have a sensitivity issue for picking up inputs? I think the required threshold for picking up a hard left or right press of the analog should be lower slightly, and say if >= that threshold then do the dash animation/run animation. Or add a setting for players to adjust it themselves in a way. I've not worked with gamemaker studio with a game of this depth but that's what I assume could be a problem.

Last edited:

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
Not right now, no, so I'd be VERY honored if you do it. Glad someone liked my character idea. :)
I tried to before, it did not end well
(also no problem)

EDIT: @ likiji123 likiji123 I may not be posting any feedback until the next version as i have not found anymore issues or problems with the game

Last edited:

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
I wouldn't work on character design stuff too much in detail guys. You never know when Dan is going to have a design already in place for an element and when your ideas get dropped entirely. No need to create it entirely yourself when there are already people on the team who can take your idea and make it come alive themselves. Save Dan the time of having you read so much.

On another note specifically for @ 4nace 4nace , a few players including myself and 7/20 people at my tourney who I let play with their controllers on mine/xanthus' mayflash adapters', they were unable to dash dance at all. The game couldn't pick up dashing left at all from their controllers. It was much more frequent on player 2 for the adapter than for player 1, but happened for both sides occasionally. Could the game have a sensitivity issue for picking up inputs? I think the required threshold for picking up a hard left or right press of the analog should be lower slightly, and say if >= that threshold then do the dash animation/run animation. Or add a setting for players to adjust it themselves in a way. I've not worked with gamemaker studio with a game of this depth but that's what I assume could be a problem.
Agreed, but it's just us showing our creative side. I dont expect my idea to be picked at all, I'm just doing this for fun! On the side note, I cant test until the 25th. I sold my PS3 and mhy Xbox controller is broken, plus I get my PS4 around those days (25th to 28th)

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Agreed, but it's just us showing our creative side. I dont expect my idea to be picked at all, I'm just doing this for fun! On the side note, I cant test until the 25th. I sold my PS3 and mhy Xbox controller is broken, plus I get my PS4 around those days (25th to 28th)
Gah, why do people sell consoles T_T

Of course I'm one to talk though, I collect consoles and games and go all the way back to the Atari 2600...

Anyways, about a year ago I remember Anti Guy of the PM Clone Engine thread stated how he thought creating character move sets was simply mental masturbation, and doing so wasn't really the purpose of the thread. Regardless, we had tons of them posted in its early life. People enjoyed envisioning a characters full potential, even I did for the hell of it once during a rather interesting discussion. But onto this thread, I don't believe the same should be done here. Ideas and concepts should really be kept at that stage, at least for new characters, as concepts without the huge wall of text so Dan can focus on the information that truly matters atm. The feel, balance, and discovery of potential bugs are much more important right now, and is what we should be focusing on.

Which reminds me, I don't have too much time there today, but I'm finally going to bring RoA to our weekly friendly. I'll also be getting a new laptop really soon, and might even be able to start streaming. We'll see, the thing is a monster and should be able to handle it no problem.

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
Gah, why do people sell consoles T_T

Of course I'm one to talk though, I collect consoles and games and go all the way back to the Atari 2600...

Anyways, about a year ago I remember Anti Guy of the PM Clone Engine thread stated how he thought creating character move sets was simply mental masturbation, and doing so wasn't really the purpose of the thread. Regardless, we had tons of them posted in its early life. People enjoyed envisioning a characters full potential, even I did for the hell of it once during a rather interesting discussion. But onto this thread, I don't believe the same should be done here. Ideas and concepts should really be kept at that stage, at least for new characters, as concepts without the huge wall of text so Dan can focus on the information that truly matters atm. The feel, balance, and discovery of potential bugs are much more important right now, and is what we should be focusing on.

Which reminds me, I don't have too much time there today, but I'm finally going to bring RoA to our weekly friendly. I'll also be getting a new laptop really soon, and might even be able to start streaming. We'll see, the thing is a monster and should be able to handle it no problem.
Agreed. I guess we should leave our ideas for when the game is semi bug-proof!
I sold my console because I desired the PS4 because some chums of mine wanted to play something other than League of Legends all day xP.
I sincerely agree on the wall of text, so I'd do a summarized version sometime in the future. My wall of text is purely made for those who are interested in details.
Im getting a new laptop as well, but it's by far a monster. For those of you looking for one, try and get the HP Beats Special Edition 15-p058na Laptop! It's amazing!

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
It looks like I've caught the attention of a wild M2K on our WA Melee Facebook page lol. Not sure he'll be there to play at all, but it would interesting if my first chance to play him would be on RoA.

T00nbink

Smash Cadet
I thought it would be funny to see what the characters from Rivals of Aether would look like if they where in Super Smash Land.

Zetterburn

Orcane

Wrastor

Kragg

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
Im getting a new laptop as well, but it's by far a monster. For those of you looking for one, try and get the HP Beats Special Edition 15-p058na Laptop! It's amazing!
No thanks, and don't advertise on here.

On topic how does everyone deal with Kragg's Rock?

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
I thought it would be funny to see what the characters from Rivals of Aether would look like if they where in Super Smash Land.

Zetterburn

Orcane

Wrastor

Kragg

They look amazing (Why didn't i think of that)

4nace

Smash Ace
Hey guys! I am home for the holidays right now! I got engaged yesterday (12/21) so that was a big step for my relationship and meant I have been away from the computer for a bit.

I'm loving all the art and ideas. Really cool stuff. I don't have a clean solution for fan palette swaps. Currently, it would be hard to open them to players. If I can't open them up in-game, I could possibly do a skin competition near release and get some fan created recolors in there :)

Regarding ideas, I am up for reading concepts and gimmicks based on the elements. These will be viewed as fan suggestions just like all player feedback. I am not promising to put any characters into the game nor am I looking for a character designer currently. However I am very open to feedback and enjoy reading ideas and asking questions about your thoughts.

One of the issues is that this thread is not very conducive toward having fan ideas as well as official character discussion as well as playtester feedback. If this thread continues being popular then perhaps it would be good to get a Rivals of Aether subcategory in Developer Studio? Looking at @Shadic and @Hylian perhaps? Since this site is for official smash games, I could also see them wanting us to go elsewhere with our discussions so that might be in the future for our small group!

I can say that while we are in our current situation, I do not mind seeing people discuss new ideas or post art or get creative. If you want to give feedback on fan ideas please do, but please be respectful like you have been with me!

@ Yurya Yurya and @ JCOnyx JCOnyx
Love the feedback and the engine discussions. Definitely agree with both of you on points.

Combos being too easy out of the gate doesn't scare me as much as combos being mindless and repetitive up to high levels. One of my goals is to get players into the fun of comboing earlier. I personally love the feel of Brawl sheik at low percents as with low knockback it is really fun to rack up damage with her (if you don't just forward tilt all day). I do want to make sure though that combos become harder as both players become more experienced.

Parry:
Parries is something I think is closer than it is too far. I can't see adding something like grabs unless we added another animator. Even then, I don't think the current gameplay necessitates it. I think there are some quick and clever solutions if / when parries do become an issue. I have thought about marking attacks as unparryable but that seems like a bit of an unnecessary burden of knowledge being introduced. Even with special visuals, you would have to learn each attack on each character. I think playing with the risk/reward of parries first would be a safer way to play with the balance before going for a true counter system.

Knockback:
This is something I am watching closely. I did not like how some of the VG Bootcamp matches turned out. I think I need to up my scaling on "combo" attacks across the board. Wrastor is in a difficult spot there though because if he can kill with his combo tools, his balanced will be skewed. I will investigate this when I do a knockback pass in early Jan.

Edgeguarding:
I am not TOO concerned with where this is at now since recoveries are a special I will likely be addressing until development ends. I do want to look at horizontal knockback though. I think with DI and low knockback on horizontal moves, the angle is almost always too upward. It is likely because I am using too steep an angle for when you get hit while the air by a horizontal attack. Will look into that.

Kragg Rock:
This thing is an issue. I have played with it a bit since changes to Kragg (instant break) and a spammy Kragg is a good Kragg right now in my play sessions. This special will be adjusted. I haven't 100% landed on the solution yet but I think your suggestion is fair but there are some other options as well. I plan to increase the pull time when you don't have a rock (while keeping it lower for picking up an on stage rock). Then I also need to re-investigate damaging the rock. I feel like having Kragg break in one hit and opponents struggle to break is just too harsh. When I play with friends this holiday break I will try letting every attack break the rock in one hit to see how that feels.

Kragg Side Special:
This move is still in a bit of a weird place. It still doesnt feel like a Rivals move. I do not want to move it away from a defensive tool though so will keep exploring options there.

Wrastor Up Special:
That's a good point I hadn't thought off. Will look into horizontal knockback on that move. Thanks.

Orcane Recovery:
I have been watching his recovery. Because air dodge up, to side special to wall jump to side special is so good, I often dont find myself in situations where I NEED to use up special. But even if I know it is coming (air dodge gone) I try to up special immediately to give my opponent less time to set up.

With that note - I am planning to move both air dodges and jumps left onto pips next to p1-p4 or your player name (limit 5 char). This should make managing both easier hopefully. I plan to get this in for the next update.

Bursts:
It's funny you mention this. I have been thinking about bursts while traveling back home. I think a burst could fit into the style of the game. I do not love limited resources but there might be something cool here that I want to try. Bursts would be both an offensive or defensive tool. Input in my head right now would be both shield buttons at once (separate button for keyboards). Not sure of the limit yet though. There are some solid reasons to avoid doing a burst / limited resource system. They are not very beginner friendly nor would they feel very intuitive. DI is intuitive in my mind. It makes sense to move your control stick to escape combos.
They are something I would like to prototype but can't say for sure they line up with the design goals for the game until I see them in action.

@ Nhab and Ice Guy ideas:

Some cool stuff in there for sure :). I think with some finessing and more input from some of the great people in this thread they could get closer to what I see as a "Rival". Don't have time to dig in tonight but keep working on em :)

-Dan

Last edited:

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
I'm loving all the art and ideas. Really cool stuff. I don't have a clean solution for fan palette swaps. Currently, it would be hard to open them to players. If I can't open them up in-game, I could possibly do a skin competition near release and get some fan created recolors in there :)

-Dan
If you did the competition would you count the already existing ones?
and will there be holiday themed costumes?

Also, I made these

EDIT: Saw the Nhab and there was somethings that i wanted to point out
For one his Special attacks seem pretty weak compared to everyone else
SPECIALS

Neutral - I think it would be a neat idea to have a concept where the more you hit the opponent with this move the slower or higher chance of getting trap gets and maybe make it a bit slower and do more damage

Up - for it not getting hit on the sweet spot it seems WAY to weak to even be useful for anything other than recovering

ELEMENTAL

Crushing traps
- it seems like a good concept but there's something odd about it

Also i had a concept for the characters design
The characters design could look like a mummified raptor (Pretty much Kahn-Ra and Riptor combined)

Last edited:

T00nbink

Smash Cadet

Also, I made these

SPECIALS

Neutral - I think it would be a neat idea to have a concept where the more you hit the opponent with this move the slower or higher chance of getting trap gets and maybe make it a bit slower and do more damage

Up - for it not getting hit on the sweet spot it seems WAY to weak to even be useful for anything other than recovering

ELEMENTAL

Crushing traps

The characters design could look like a mummified raptor (Pretty much Kahn-Ra and Riptor combined)
I agree that the up special from nhab could get a buff. But I think it would be fun that if he hits on the ground it works with the sweetspot system. And in the air there is no sweetspot. But the attack does 8% - 10% with low knockback (only the sweetspot on the ground is a killer move) or something. I think that would balance it out

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
I agree that the up special from nhab could get a buff. But I think it would be fun that if he hits on the ground it works with the sweetspot system. And in the air there is no sweetspot. But the attack does 8% - 10% with low knockback (only the sweetspot on the ground is a killer move) or something. I think that would balance it out
How about if Nhab is standing on the sand trap its a guaranteed sweetspot hit

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Alright, if you are cool with people posting their concepts I'll go right ahead since I wanted to share the concept I had for an ice character as well. Unsurprisingly I had a similar concept in mind like akf09's, creating planes of ice as the characters quirky ability. What they specialize in is far different though. Multiple options were given for a lot of normals, everything stated is really just suggestions as to what I envision could work anyways.

Character Element: Ice
Species: Arctic Fox
Playstyle: Stage Control / Zoner
Points of Reference: Zelda (Smash PM), Kula Diamond (KoF), Noato (P4A), Robin (Smash), Snake (Smash), Lili (Tekken/SFxT), Natsu (SCV), Sheik (Smash), Zero Suit Samus (Smash WiiU), Greninja (Smash), Peach (Smash WiiU)

General Information: I don't really have a story for this character, but I do know that I'd prefer the character to be female (as you can see from the many references) and have a toolkit designed for stage control. Orcane and Kragg both have tools that can be utilized for stage control as well, but this character would be one you could pick up and immediately tell it would be an ideal way to play her. Appearance wise, she'd have a bit of a mage fighter look to her. Not like full on dress and robes with Zelda and Robin, she's a fox and should be able to stay nimble, so perhaps something like a mantle, shawl, or mini cape that extends to about her mid-back would suffice in giving that mage feel without compromising her mobility.

-Moveset Concepts-
Specials
NSpecial: Crystal Vortex
Basically stolen straight from PM Zelda. A good get off me move with a slight amount of invulnerability frames. Aerial version can be land canceled if spaced right to be an effective combo tool, but has little to no invulnerability in the air.
SSpecial: Icy Breath / Icy Wind
Takes inspiration from Kula Diamond's Diamond Breath special. A multi hit attack that freezes the ground where it touches. Frozen ground causes characters to slide greater distances when starting smashes out of dash/run and makes turning on a dime next to impossible. Characters also cannot tech upon frozen ground. If used in the air, the angle of the attack could change to make attempts to freeze the ground simpler to execute and more intuitive to the players, like almost completely downwards. Sounds a bit too good at that angle though. This move could also potentially freeze the opponent if you find that fitting.
Alternatively, instead of a breath attack, she could wave her hand and send up a small gust of wind. Would still freeze the ground, but start low and come up instead to pop the opponent up for combos. The utility would end up the same as Kragg's DSpecial, but it would have far less hitstun and not "guarantee" any follow ups since it has the added ability of freezing the ground. They should probably have just enough time to jump out of the follow up, but this character would like the additional time to set up her next special anyways.
DSpecial: Frost Rune
Mostly taken from Noato Shiragane's Hair-Trigger Megido in P4A, but you can find similarities to the aerial version with PM Zelda's Din's Fire and the grounded version with Snake's DSmash mine. This special when used on the ground will create a spell rune on the floor, that when touched by an opponent, will activate and freeze them for a period of time. The aerial version stalls you in the air for a moment and places a spell rune in that spot, and if touched will freeze an opponent. A limitation could be set of only one out at a time, but having a limit of one ground and one air rune is what I considered since I based this off of Noato.
If the frozen state would be too difficult to add into the game (which if I remember some of the things that can be accomplished in GM it shouldn't be, but I haven't messed around with it in a long time so I'm not too sure), the rune could just go off a do additional hitstun than usual.
This move would probably be met with a bit of resistance from fellow smashers, as we already know how much they enjoy PM Zelda. A stationary hitbox that can be left in the air is actually quite good at reducing an opponents options. However, I believe since the trap can only be placed in the location you are currently standing in, the ability to play keep away with it is mitigated a great deal. Also, you'd only be allowed one in the air at all times. The air stall could also be great for mixups and aiding your recovery slightly. Attacking an aerial rune should also be able to break it, so this one attack wouldn't single handily destroy an opponents ability to recover.
UpSpecial: Rising Blizzard
Basically stolen from Robin in Smash 4. I didn't want a generic Zelda teleport, even though it could work, since we have Orcane's SSpecial.

Normals
Jab Combo
Could be a bunch of different things. A normal Zelda jab could work, but I want more of the fox to be represented in her normals. So something like Lili's Bedtime combo in SFxT where it would pop an opponent up at the end like Wrastor's jab combo, or perhaps Lili's Peacock Jive in the standard games. Natsu's Haste and Rapid Destruction kick attacks would be a good ones as well.
Tilts
I feel like her DTilt should be purposefully lackluster. It could be something like her just clawing at her feet. Her UpTilt could be something like Lili's St.MK from SFxT. FTilt could be a variety of things, but should be her go to spacing tilt. Shiek's FTilt or ZSS's FTilt sound like decent candidates.
Smashes
Zelda, Sheik or ZSS FSmash would be just fine (would prefer the later two). Zelda DSmash and UpSmash would be just fine.
Aerials
Nair could be a multi hit like Zelda's or a single hit like Greninja's and could even have a similar animation to DSpecial to lessen the workload. UpAir could be similar to Peach's but with a short trail of icy wind instead of rainbows, and down air could be like an opposite Zelda UpAir. Something like her bracing her arm out below her and releasing a blast of freezing energy below her. Zelda Fair and Bair as her last aerials, but nerfed in knockback and base trajectory (raised a bit instead of pretty much horizontal), since they would be way too powerful RoA's current form.

Last edited:

T00nbink

Smash Cadet
Alright, if you are cool with people posting their concepts I'll go right ahead since I wanted to share the concept I had for an ice character as well. Unsurprisingly I had a similar concept in mind like akf09's, creating planes of ice as the characters quirky ability. What they specialize in is far different though. Multiple options were given for a lot of normals, everything stated is really just suggestions as to what I envision could work anyways.

Points of Reference: Zelda (Smash PM), Kula Diamond (KoF), Noato (P4A), Robin (Smash), Snake (Smash), Lili (Tekken/SFxT), Natsu (SCV), Sheik (Smash), Zero Suit Samus (Smash WiiU), Greninja (Smash)

General Information: I don't really have a story for this character, but I do know that I'd prefer the character to be female (as you can see from the many references) and have a toolkit designed for stage control. Orcane and Kragg both have tools that can be utilized for stage control as well, but this character would be one you could pick up and immediately tell it would be an ideal way to play her. Appearance wise, she'd have a bit of a mage fighter look to her. Not like full on dress and robes with Zelda and Robin, she's a fox and should be able to stay nimble, so perhaps something like a mantle, shawl, or mini cape that extends to about her mid-back would suffice in giving that mage feel without compromising her mobility.

-Moveset Concepts-
Specials
Basically stolen straight from PM Zelda. A good get off me move with a slight amount of invulnerability frames. Aerial version can be land canceled if spaced right to be an effective combo tool, but has little to no invulnerability in the air.
Takes inspiration from Kula Diamond's Diamond Breath special. A multi hit attack that freezes the ground where it touches. Frozen ground causes characters to slide greater distances when starting smashes out of dash/run and makes turning on a dime next to impossible. Characters also cannot tech upon frozen ground. If used in the air, the angle of the attack could change to make attempts to freeze the ground simpler to execute and more intuitive to the players, like almost completely downwards. Sounds a bit too good at that angle though. This move could also potentially freeze the opponent if you find that fitting.
Alternatively, instead of a breath attack, she could wave her hand and send up a small gust of wind. Would still freeze the ground, but start low and come up instead to pop the opponent up for combos. The utility would end up the same as Kragg's DSpecial, but it would have far less hitstun and not "guarantee" any follow ups since it has the added ability of freezing the ground. They should probably have just enough time to jump out of the follow up, but this character would like the additional time to set up her next special anyways.
Mostly taken from Noato Shiragane's Hair-Trigger Megido in P4A, but you can find similarities to the aerial version with PM Zelda's Din's Fire and the grounded version with Snake's DSmash mine. This special when used on the ground will create a spell rune on the floor, that when touched by an opponent, will activate and freeze them for a period of time. The aerial version stalls you in the air for a moment and places a spell rune in that spot, and if touched will freeze an opponent. A limitation could be set of only one out at a time, but having a limit of one ground and one air rune is what I considered since I based this off of Noato.
If the frozen state would be too difficult to add into the game (which if I remember some of the things that can be accomplished in GM it shouldn't be, but I haven't messed around with it in a long time so I'm not too sure), the rune could just go off a do additional hitstun than usual.
This move would probably be met with a bit of resistance from fellow smashers, as we already know how much they enjoy PM Zelda. A stationary hitbox that can be left in the air is actually quite good at reducing an opponents options. However, I believe since the trap can only be placed in the location you are currently standing in, the ability to play keep away with it is mitigated a great deal. Also, you'd only be allowed one in the air at all times. The air stall could also be great for mixups and aiding your recovery slightly. Attacking an aerial rune should also be able to break it, so this one attack wouldn't single handily destroy an opponents ability to recover.
Basically stolen from Robin in Smash 4. I didn't want a generic Zelda teleport, even though it could work, since we have Orcane's SSpecial.

Normals
Jab Combo
Could be a bunch of different things. A normal Zelda jab could work, but I want more of the fox to be represented in her normals. So something like Lili's Bedtime combo in SFxT where it would pop an opponent up at the end like Wrastor's jab combo, or perhaps Lili's Peacock Jive in the standard games. Natsu's Haste and Rapid Destruction kick attacks would be a good ones as well.
Tilts
I feel like her DTilt should be purposefully lackluster. It could be something like her just clawing at her feet. Her UpTilt could be something like Lili's St.MK from SFxT. FTilt could be a variety of things, but should be her go to spacing tilt. Shiek's FTilt or ZSS's FTilt sound like decent candidates.
Smashes
Zelda, Sheik or ZSS FSmash would be just fine (would prefer the later two). Zelda DSmash and UpSmash would be just fine.
Aerials
Nair could be a multi hit like Zelda's or a single hit like Greninja's and could even have a similar animation to DSpecial to lessen the workload. UpAir could be similar to Peach's but with a short trail of icy wind instead of rainbows, and down air could be like an opposite Zelda UpAir. Something like her bracing her arm out below her and releasing a blast of freezing energy below her. Zelda Fair and Bair as her last aerials, but nerfed in knockback and base trajectory (raised a bit instead of pretty much horizontal), since they would be way too powerful RoA's current form.
I think this is a great concept. I really like the idea of an artic fox. I don't remember if you said how long a frozen ground last and how many areas of ground can be frozen at a time. (Sorry if you already said that in your post).

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
P
How about if Nhab is standing on the sand trap its a guaranteed sweetspot hit
Seems much better, way better actually. I essentially wanted it to be Luigi's Up-B (He's mainly based of Luigi :3). In the ground it does 10%. With traps, it's a killer move. In air it's essentially useless as a move, but not as recovery! It's amazing! I essentially want him to be centered around ground combos, and using his traps, to well, trap people and finish them off.

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885

Also, I made these

SPECIALS

ELEMENTAL

Crushing traps

First off, the Wrastor skin looks amazing, and the Zetts skin is hilarious xP.
Neutral: So you mean that if you hit the opponent several times, he gets auto-trapped? Interesting...
Up: I already discussed about this in my previous post and have fixed it in mine! :p

ELEMENTALS
Crushing Traps: Essentially, it's made to give some usefulness to the traps other than trapping. I don't know, I thought of DoT(Damage over Time) if you're inside, but that reminds me too much of Zetterburn's DoT. Maybe give him a Lingering Sand Curse, which slows down their move speed after they escape a trap? I'd like more feedback on this.

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885

Points of Reference: Zelda (Smash PM), Kula Diamond (KoF), Noato (P4A), Robin (Smash), Snake (Smash), Lili (Tekken/SFxT), Natsu (SCV), Sheik (Smash), Zero Suit Samus (Smash WiiU), Greninja (Smash), Peach (Smash WiiU)

-Moveset Concepts-
Specials

Normals
Jab Combo
Tilts
Smashes
Aerials
I like this character idea a LOT. Some things I'd like to add, and a question too. For Fair and Bair, are you adressing Sweetspotted Fair/Bair? If so, yes, nerf it's knockback. Her Nair could be Zelda's, since even if it is a multi-hit, it's knockback is abysmal and it doesnt do that much damage either. It could be used for spacing because of its diagonally-down angle. Also Dair, why not use Zelda's? Or actually, keep using the Inverted Zelda UAir, and make it spike! Seems fair (no pun intended), especially considering it's startup. Her runes are fine, and I'm glad there's a limit of 2 per stage, and to be able to set up both you must shift through air and ground, so you'd need a bit of free time to be able to put them strategically. Regarding Side Special, why not make it so that opponets in the air which are frozen by In-Air runes can also be pushed a small distance, but not too far either. And Lore-Wise, I can take care of that if you'd like, I already have an amazing idea. Overall amazing concept.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
On the subject of the Kragg rock: Have you thought about having the rock break as soon as it touches the ground after being thrown? This would get rid of its polarizing and centralizing nature while still giving Kragg a good projectile. Another idea is, instead of throwing the rock, Kragg simply punches the rock while it's still in his hand, and the pebbles go flying like normal, depending on what direction he punched it in.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion

Stop right there I love it already

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Thanks for the quick feedback guys.
I think this is a great concept. I really like the idea of an artic fox. I don't remember if you said how long a frozen ground last and how many areas of ground can be frozen at a time. (Sorry if you already said that in your post).
Hmm, I guess I never did specify.

I would probably put them on a short timer, and depending on the length, would determine if you could have multiple out or not. Something between 4-8 seconds I'd say you could have multiple out. If you were only allowed 1, I'd say around 15 seconds would be ideal. Also, the length of the frozen area should be between 2-3 character lengths, and would be cut short if it were to meet an edge, similar to Zetta's fire but slightly longer but not by much.

You wouldn't need the ice out for long to apply any pressure. Ice an edge when someone is trying to recover and place a rune in front of it, they'll have a chance to slide into the rune after landing lol. In fact, Icy Breath to Frost Rune would probably be a simple keep away tactic while on stage as well (depending on their startup and cooldown), or used to try and keep an opponent on the edge of the stage so you can keep control of the center. After conditioning them, go in for an boosted smash after Icy Breath and catch them off guard.

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Well since we're doing concepts now.

Flowers bruh

I have a concept for a flower based character. I've conceptualized it as a bee character but it doesn't necessarily have to be.
The character would spawn with a flower under its feet, and it would stay there unless it planted a new flower.
The flower is pretty much an extension of the character. None of its specials will work without the flower. Its like a buffed Orcane puddle in some ways. One special would set the flower, one would cause the flower to release multihitting "stun spores", and one would be a grab that holds the opponent in place like a venus flytrap.
The last special would be the recovery, where our bee warrior makes a straight shot for the flower, wherever it may be. I imagine this movement could be used for many things other than recovery. If you still have a double jump you could jump cancel it and use it again, but otherwise you'd be locked into that movement path so it would be one of the more predictable recoveries despite having the most range outside of Orcane.
Outside of uses in specials, I could see the flower acting like a personal air armada spring for bee-dude.
Das it
Go home everyone.

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885

-Moveset Concepts-
Specials

Normals
Jab Combo
Tilts
Smashes
Aerials
Okay, here I go with the lore.

Name: I dont know, how about Frost-Tails, or Glace? I'll just stick with Glace for now lol.
Lore: Glace comes from a group of foxes which live in the northernmost part of Aether. Her clan is a calm one, where the most valored type of weaponry is magic. Glace has aspired to be a Frost Mage since she was a little girl, but her dreams cannot be fulfilled. Only males can be mages in her clan, while females had to tend to domestic work. When she learnt of this, Glace had already matured, and so had her way of seeing the world. She broke one of the most sacred rules, and studied the magic of frost in secrecy. When the highest positioned clan members discovered this, they exiled her for treachery. She now roams along Aether increasing her frost skills, and aims to show her clan that a female can be as good, and better than any other male.

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
Seems much better, way better actually. I essentially wanted it to be Luigi's Up-B (He's mainly based of Luigi :3). In the ground it does 10%. With traps, it's a killer move. In air it's essentially useless as a move, but not as recovery! It's amazing! I essentially want him to be centered around ground combos, and using his traps, to well, trap people and finish them off.
I suggest that you should change his side b as if hes centered around ground combos then a move like that just sticks out

First off, the Wrastor skin looks amazing, and the Zetts skin is hilarious xP.
Neutral: So you mean that if you hit the opponent several times, he gets auto-trapped? Interesting...
Up: I already discussed about this in my previous post and have fixed it in mine! :p

ELEMENTALS
Crushing Traps: Essentially, it's made to give some usefulness to the traps other than trapping. I don't know, I thought of DoT(Damage over Time) if you're inside, but that reminds me too much of Zetterburn's DoT. Maybe give him a Lingering Sand Curse, which slows down their move speed after they escape a trap? I'd like more feedback on this.
Skins - you could say that zetterburn has a jolly heart this Christmas :) (also the wrastor skin isnt mine i just made the ingame version of him)

Neutral - Pretty much (another idea i had was to make them slower so they can get caught in a trap easily)

ELEMENTALS
The idea of making him slower after they escapes seems a little unfair

Last edited:

akf09

Smash Apprentice
zetterburns fire consume doing 10% seems too high, also i have noticed that if you ignite the ground on fire and u do a strong attack to an enemy that is standing in the fire it consumes the fire and reignites them which seems too good.

akf09

Smash Apprentice
new idea xD maybe its the burbon talking but it is a funny concept.

ZetterFreeze, a zetter clone character that applies frost when he does special moves and freezes enemies solid when he lands a strong attack on a frosted opponent. i like clone characters for some reason they just add variety to characters that already exists and they are very easy to create. :) @ 4nace 4nace

akf09

Smash Apprentice
also kragg should be able to jump durring his roll and remain rolling. another note about kraggs roll is that it is much faster if you start it while in hte air so a short hop side special causes u to roll faster than a grounded side special making grounded side special inferor to air side special. glitch?

T00nbink

Smash Cadet

ZetterFreeze, a zetter clone character that applies frost when he does special moves and freezes enemies solid when he lands a strong attack on a frosted opponent. i like clone characters for some reason they just add variety to characters that already exists and they are very easy to create. :) @ 4nace 4nace
I also like clone characters. But I think he should focus first on the real characters and if he is done with that he can make the clone characters.

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
I suggest that you should change his side b as if hes centered around ground combos then a move like that just sticks out

Skins - you could say that zetterburn has a jolly heart this Christmas :) (also the wrastor skin isnt mine i just made the ingame version of him)

Neutral - Pretty much (another idea i had was to make them slower so they can get caught in a trap easily)

ELEMENTALS
The idea of making him slower after they escapes seems a little unfair
So yes, I'll leave the traps untouched for now.

Side Special: Hmm... Yes it needs a change. Remember that if he has the "Missfire" then Missfire + Trap would deal too much damage for no effort. So a way to keep people grounded would be better! Any suggestions from anyone in the forums would be highly appreciated :). I thought of like a semi-spike move, where'd it hit people downwards diagonally, but with so much hitstun in the game it'd be too broken. I'll observe some fighting game moves, and see if I can find one suitable with the character.

Neutral: Seems fair. No movespeed slow, though. I dont know how Dan feels about movespeed changes, but I dont like them too much. Also, this trap lasts less, maybe 1~1.5 seconds. Wouldn't be fair if you could trap the opponent, and then re-trap him by placing another one.

ELEMENTALS: Like I said, I DESPISE movespeed slows (Thank you, League, for making me hate them.) They can potentially change the pace, in my opinion. I just threw it in randomly. I'd like feedback here too. Passive things are my game. Maybe make it so that enemies take Damage over Time inside of the traps?

All feedback that can be given is appreciated :p.

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885

I dont like clones, I like alternates. For me, Dr Mario is an alternate. He doesnt quite play like Mario, but has many similarities. Falco is a Fox alternate in Brawl. Lucas is a Ness alternate and so on! Maybe he could be an alternate, but I agree first unique characters then Clones.

Top Bottom