• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

Burnsy

Smash Lord
So, I'm about to bring the current RoA build to a smashfest in my area in a couple hours. The only way it's going to be played with multiple players there is if we can get Nintendo's Wii U GC controller adapter to work.

My question is this: as long as I have the drivers for this adapter, will the controls automatically be set up for "veteran" once I F5 to change to GC mode? I recall reading back a couple pages someone mentioning that this specific adapter doesn't yet allow switching between schemes "basic" and "veteran" and has other button issues. I was wondering if theres some sort of self remedy people have been using if this is the case. I've been using a Xbox One controller so this wasn't a concern of mine until just now because the GC adapter isn't mine and I'm going to have to set it up on the spot.

Last edited:

MrTurner

Smash Rookie
NNID
imnotonfire
3DS FC
4339-2611-0575
So, I'm about to bring the current RoA build to a smashfest in my area in a couple hours. The only way it's going to be played with multiple players there is if we can get Nintendo's Wii U GC controller adapter to work.

My question is this: as long as I have the drivers for this adapter, will the controls automatically be set up for "veteran" once I F5 to change to GC mode? I recall reading back a couple pages someone mentioning that this specific adapter doesn't yet allow switching between schemes "basic" and "veteran" and has other button issues. I was wondering if theres some sort of self remedy people have been using if this is the case. I've been using a Xbox One controller so this wasn't a concern of mine until just now because the GC adapter isn't mine and I'm going to have to set it up on the spot.
You can only use 2 gamecube controllers at a time, so that might be a problem if you're trying to play with 3 or 4 people. Also for your question, Gamecube controllers only have one button layout, Veteran (which should be the default Smash layout). From my experience the only button that doesn't work is the Z button which acts as a parry, but you already have two party buttons so its not a big deal.

Hope everyone has fun trying out the game :]

MrTurner

Smash Rookie
NNID
imnotonfire
3DS FC
4339-2611-0575

You can only use 2 gamecube controllers at a time, so that might be a problem if you're trying to play with 3 or 4 people. Also for your question, Gamecube controllers only have one button layout, Veteran (which should be the default Smash layout). From my experience the only button that doesn't work is the Z button which acts as a parry, but you already have two party buttons so its not a big deal.

Hope everyone has fun trying out the game :]

T00nbink

Smash Cadet
I made a swamp and autumn recolour of Kragg. You guys let me know what you think of these one.

(I actually made these in gamemaker because Photoshop wasn't working).

SWAMP

AUTUMN

Last edited:

Captain Yoshi

Smash Rookie
Thanks for accepting my playtester application. I'm really enjoying it so far. I have not ran into any bugs just yet.
I really hope I do so I can report them as soon as I find them.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
At the fest, we got the Wii U
adaptors to recognize, but not a single button is right. Cstick is dodge, down dpad is start. How am I supposed to fix this???

Last edited:

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
I made a swamp and autumn recolor of Kragg. You guys let me know what you think of these one.

(I actually made these in gamemaker because Photoshop wasn't working).
Soo there actually in game?
or did you just recolour the image via gamemaker

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
At the fest, we got the Wii U
adaptors to recognize, but not a single button is right. Cstick is dodge, down dpad is start. How am I supposed to fix this???
That's exactly how they behaved for me and I couldn't get it to work otherwise. The axis are just recognized differently than the mayflash adapters which is what it's configured for. So L+R are the C-Stick and The C-Stick is L+R (only down and right register, so light press is obviously not a thing in RoA).

Don't quite remember how the face buttons were configured, but I think I remember A being jump. It was a rather odd experience.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
I wasn't really feeling the chest of Gragg (Autumn Recolour). So here is the second version.

VERSION 2

I don't know, when I think of autumn I picture more reds/yellows/oranges. If you could find a way to include those, I might actually use that skin. Also, this one could probably be the swamp recolor and I'd see no problems lol.

T00nbink

Smash Cadet
I don't know, when I think of autumn I picture more reds/yellows/oranges. If you could find a way to include those, I might actually use that skin. Also, this one could probably be the swamp recolor and I'd see no problems lol.
I'm gonna try right now, and thanks for the feed back.

T00nbink

Smash Cadet
Here it is, I don't think this one is as good as my other version, but it has more of the ''autumn colours''. So here it is. (And the previous version could work as swamp version better indeed).

''Autumn''

(I also made this one because I was doing the autumn one).

WINTER

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Ah man, that winter color scheme is reminding me of how much I really want an ice elemental character to be in this game. Dan has brought up that element before in past comments, so I'm sure it's an actual thing, but I have such high hopes...

You guys are probably pretty far into character designs already, but would you guys be interested in recommendations or concepts from us? I have some ideas for an ice theme character I'd like to share, but I'd hate to bring things into the thread when they're not actually relevant to the current build.

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
Ah man, that winter color scheme is reminding me of how much I really want an ice elemental character to be in this game. Dan has brought up that element before in past comments, so I'm sure it's an actual thing, but I have such high hopes...

You guys are probably pretty far into character designs already, but would you guys be interested in recommendations or concepts from us? I have some ideas for an ice theme character I'd like to share, but I'd hate to bring things into the thread when they're not actually relevant to the current build.
Like mine? <3

MrTurner

Smash Rookie
NNID
imnotonfire
3DS FC
4339-2611-0575
Like mine? <3
A sand character could be interesting but when I think of sand I usually think of a trap centered character, and Orcane has already filled up that role pretty well. Do you have any more ideas of why a possible moveset could be?

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
@ DrMister DrMister If you would make a link to your post where you describe Nhab in your signature, that would help people like MrTurner easily learn of your proposal. I went into your post history to find it, but others won't be as adventurous lol.

Anyways, here it is MrTurner. It does have DSpecial as a "trap" move, but otherwise it's very inspired by Luigi.

So I played Super Smash Land, and I used Vaporeon. Dear Jesus, Orcane will probably be my main. He's so FRESH. It's like, you can set up kills amazingly with the Up Move it's AMAZING! Whenever I manage to get this game, even if it's after release, I'll use Orcane so much he'll get tired and dissolve. Also I wanna fully construct my alligator idea from one of my previous posts, and I wanna see what you other posters think of it. Right now I only have lore-wise, but I'll edit everytime I think of new pieces of his kit. Thanks 4nace for such an amazing game, that has inspired me to sprout various new ideas. This, is my best so far, so please constructive criticism is very much desired!

Nhab is widely recognized in the Shifting Sands for his barbaric attitude and his brutal deeds. He was the one who attempted to assassinate the *Add Enemy of Sand here*'s highest commanding officer. He was born in an area of the Shifting Sands where chaos reigned in every corner. He saw it as something normal, until one day he snapped. Many say it was because of the death of his parents before his very eyes. Others say it was because someone stole his most prized possession. There is one thing everyone knows for sure, though. That he takes pity on no one.

Movelist
Neutrals and Tilts
Jab Combo: 4%, 4%, 6% - Swipes 2 times with his tail, and then bites powerfully with his jaw
Side Tilt: 9% - Hits with his claw
Down Tilt: 6% - Quickly swipes the floor with his tail
Up Tilt: 8% - Forcefully raises his fists in the air
Specials
Neutral Special: 5%(In air) ~ 7% (Grounded) Tosses a snake formed by the sand of his village, which travels foward in an arcing motion. If falling, it goes diagonally down. (Pikachu's Neutral B)
Side Special: 5%(Uncharged), 20%(Fully Charged) - Using his sands as propulsion, Nhab flies in foward. Has a very slight chance of missfire. (Will put missfire damage later one. Missfire chance: 1.25%)
Down Special: 3% - Creates a sand trap a few blocks away from him. Immobilizes a person from 1~2 seconds. Cannot trap the same person for 4 seconds after being released.
Up Special: 1%(No Sweetspot) ~ 25%(Sweetspot) - Using his power and the power of sand, Nhab does a mighty uppercut. He has no movement during the uppercut, and when falling can move. Has a sweetspot which raises both damage and knockback. (Luigi's Super Jump Punch)
Strong Attacks (Smashes)
????
Passives
????
Dumb Trivia!
Interestingly enough, Nhab means Marauder in Arabic, I translated it from English to Arab and from Arab to the Latin Alphabet!
I spent 4 Hours mimicking the trailer's text while being entertained by Sanic's amazing stream! Check it out whenever you guys can!
The picture (the name text) is based off of the trailer's introduction text! Completely made by me by EYE! No rips whatsoever!

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
Some more thoughts on Rivals from when I first played it:

I had played some Super Smash Land a couple years back and I liked it well enough (keyboard controls though). Picking this up with the X-Box controller felt a little weird at first; timing seems to be different, but I can Wavedash, dash dance etc... fine. One note here is platforms: without shield dropping it is a little clunky dropping through them (Crouching on platforms is easier). I actually never shield-dropped from platforms all that much but instead Isai-dropped (walking forward made dropping through platforms much easier and quicker) which also doesn't work in Rivals. I think Isai-drop would be a good addition (I think you just need to reduce the threshold needed to tilt for falling through when walking compared to standing).

Something that I didn't expect was how each character's zone control would work so well. Zetta's Flames, Wraster's Jet Stream, Kragg's Rocks and Orcane's Puddle all enable the character's to transform the stage to their advantage. You now need to move the fight to where you are changing the environment for your benefit. I actually didn't like Vapeoron's tools in SmashLand but with everyone having similar tools balances it nicely. It really is the unique feature of Rivals that should be it's selling point. I am pretty sure you intend to, but make sure that each character added has similar tools.
While these initially go against my rule they are unique stage transforming features that as long as each character has a balanced version add a new layer not present in Smash.

Each character being a similar size is great too. Factors get out-of-whack when character's are too big or small, and match-ups become polarized. Good job on character size.

In a Smash-styled game I believe a rule should be kept in mind to maintain the optimal player and spectator experience.

During every point in play each player should have the ability to access multiple options, and no 1 option should be perfect whether offensive or defensive. This is the beautiful heart of Smash.
Under this: DI, Teching, Dodging, approaching, comboing, camping all need to have multiple choices and each have a counter-reaction that can beat them.
I have to note that in Rivals combos, Parries, and edgeguarding all raise red flags when viewing them this way.
With this in mind please read my thoughts on playing Rivals.
I will be using terms like polarizing, options, counter, and unstoppable to refer back to this point.​

Combos:
Combos come a little too automatically the balance is not bad but it could be better.
I think the biggest reason combos are so available is the fact that knockback-scaling is very differentiated between combo moves and KO moves. If scaling was more regular across all moves, I think two issues would be resolved: Characters wouldn't live to 200% as often because a player has trouble landing their KO moves, and combos wouldn't work at some more ridiculous percents. Also edge play would become more common as right now there are few Horizontal KB moves and with increased scaling on some of those would increase the instance of them. So I think that KB scaling should be more normalized to allow for a more natural flow.

Parries:

With correct use of Parries there is no counter. This was also present with Powershielding in Melee but unlike Powershielding you don't have to be frame perfect as there is a larger window. This means that the best players of Rivals will have the best reaction times and without the natural advantage of an above-average reaction a player will be restricted.

To alleviate this I recommend introducing grabs along with a shield of some type. Parries are interesting but they are lacking when it comes to balance.

Parries could be nerfed version of the old system with a sustainable active time complemented with the longer you keep it active the more lag you receive upon exiting. Opponents still receive a punish for hitting parries but that remains constant compared to the variable time the parry-er receives. Shorter time held leads to being able to punish attacks while longer times means you will be punished.

If you add grabs and want to keep chain-grabs gone, I recommend taking some inspiration from Smash 64 and limit them to two throw options and speed up the auto throw timer. This is one situation where I am ok with a more regulated KB scaling, as kill throws are boring and chain grabs are too. Having throws that always result in positional change rather than direct combos/kills is a good addition which won't break the game but add the needed counter to a shield/parry.

Edgeguarding:

Some characters options are extremely strong while implemented with polarizing weaknesses. This limits the amount of options and leads each player to use the only one that will work. In Smash, Yoshi demonstrated this, ROB, Pit, Ice Climbers. Each character should have a few recovery options that are not completely shut down by one particular option. Without ledges that is limited but I still think that it can be achieved.

Orcane can recover from anywhere. ANYWHERE. Yet if he doesn't have a puddle he is dead if he dares go below the stage a little bit. Also if your see a Orcane needs to recover with puddle, then your ONLY option should be stand next to the puddle and charge a Strong Attack the case is an automatic read and a straightforward punish. This wasn't directly caused by you, but is forced anyway.
Kragg's pillar is the one shot use, but can also be used to stall from pretty far away and certain places no one can interrupt him safely.

Strong attacks are chargeable for too long. Because of this timing edgeguard attempts is unnecessary; just charge and wait.
I would get rid of charging altogether or really minimize charging times. Wrastor in particular is effected by this but I think overall he is in a good place after this.

In the following character profiles I am going to try to analyze what is the best style for each of the characters and see what stands out as OP/weak. I will then make a few suggestions on changes IMO should be made.

Zetterburn:

Zetta's style seems to best be get flames down and spam Fireballs until opponent approaches through flames and look to bait and punish as hard as possible at any other time. He doesn't seem to have reliable approaches as they get beaten by everyone else's stuff. But his punishes are off the charts with super early kills from fairs and smashes.
Barring unforeseen balance issues there isn't much I would change specifically (there are overall changes where he would be effected); he actually reminds me of Captain Falcon with the heavy punishes after a keep-away neutral game.

Some suggestions though...
Neutral-special | It is rather slow for regular use right now (I could be misusing it though). I could see a fast initial start coupled with low range and damage but a decent duration to be useful as an anti-projectile move (looking at Kragg's rock here). If held the move should charge slowly but get beefed up to a powerful edgeguard with noticeable benefit over his non-absorbing Strong attacks.
Up-special | I would quicken the start time and just slightly increase landing lag. Also this move should always have good base knock-back so it isn't blatantly punishable on hit. These suggestions should increase his recovery viability which at the moment is the easiest to pick off, possibly to the point of being a polarizing characteristic.

Wraster:

His best style is to dance just outside of an opponent's range and punish anything with a Side-special (Jet Stream?) and convert off of that into a combo. If a combo ends Wrast should bait and punish using his Jet Stream until a new one is available to convert with. He should be looking to secure gimps off the side and punish recoveries with air strong attacks.

Suggestions...
Uptilt/Ftilt | I really liked the combo starter as it fits his play of that was present in the build before I was added. A newly designed forward-tilt you would make up for the ground high knock back move and with a strong low-angle would offer an angle previously unused for gimps by Wrast.

Bair | Almost no knock back growth. This is so strong I had to also address it specifically.

Up-special | could use a slightly stronger lower angled knock back. which would open more offensive offstage options while nerfing some of his own ways back (the player would land on stage and be able to punish Wrastor more often (right now he is very hard to edgeguard which is polarizing).

Orcane:

Dance around your puddles, poke poke poke until you get a combo. Very good dynamic that I have been seeing thus far in the neutral game

There is a good amount of depth with Orcane, not sure about bubbles yet they may be broke but I will keep quiet until known His Strong attacks could use more range both with and without puddles (I am serious here) if they are too good, I would slow them down if needed.

Puddle teleport cannot be his main recovery. If it remains so, the counter to Orcane would remain very specific and there will be few variations on strategies to beat Orcane. I think that Orcane should be able to teleport to it any time that he is grounded, but his side-b should be modified into a new Up-Special recovery. It should be omni-directional to grant Orcane the ability to recover in a variety of ways (options).

Kragg

Kragg pulls rock and throws it at you. You get hit. Kragg hits rock. You get hit again, Kragg pulls a new rock. repeat...
Kragg needs a different tactic, right now he is the only character without the ability to play the neutral game fairly. He has to throw rocks, spam nair, or Side-b to prevent being overrun. I would buff his tilts to give him some other solid approaches.
Along with a new Rock he could have a much different style.

Rock | This is unstoppable. If Kragg pulls a rock out it cannot be averted. If you parry it doesn't parry. If you attack the rock beats your attack. If you roll Kragg can either hit you or the rock which hits you. If Kragg is not the best right now it is most definitely not because of this move as this is broken. This needs to be changed in some way as it is polarizing. IMO projectiles should be small tools that change the pace, not your entire strategy.

I would recommend making rock much harder to break (Kragg doesn't always break it) so that they actually change the terrain and provide Kragg with a protective wall to play with rather than a brute-force approach. I would make down special (earth spikes) auto-break it.

Side-b | It needs a change, I would make it fast-moving, lose its armor, force it to cancel on-hit, auto-break his rocks, and hit the opponent behind Kragg so it really isn't all that useful for approaching but instead as a secondary recovery option. Without its armor it is no longer unstoppable but the increased speed changes that.

Rock-Pillar | This has too many ways it can be abused. To get to the point I would make it disappear when used mid-air after 1 second or so. Kragg can use it again if hit, or he lands onstage. If used while grounded Kragg would rise to a high platform height and it would remain until Kragg replaces it or someone breaks it.

I hope you like what I had to say; I am really excited about the potential of Rivals and want to see it succeed.

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
Like mine? <3
Misfire is random and random is not good.
Alligator isn't water (even a croc isn't sand).
He doesn't have that unique stage control that the other characters all have.

Not trying to be a jerk, but you don't refine gold without fire.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx

Eh, I'd agree that random doesn't always mesh well with a competitive mindset, but that hasn't stopped people from maining Luigi in all of the main Smash titles. If this character was added as written in DrMister's post though, I'd prefer a PM Luigi misfire myself so it's not completely random and could be planned around.

And what's the problem with an aligator (or croc) representing sand exactly? You could actually do a lot with a design like that, possibly give it other unique features like those of a iguana or komodo dragon to solidify it's desert reptilian appearance. I could easily see it being a decent fit. Sort of like the Bangaa species in Final Fantasy.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Anyways, I feel like actually trying to contribute some feedback and possible solutions to issues I've heard so far throughout the thread.

First of all, I'd like to say that most of the complaining about combos being too simple to execute is a little outrageous. For one, RoA seems to have been designed to be a heavily offensives game from the start. Major hitstun, relatively low knockback, and a lack of shields will tend to do that to a game. If that displeases you, you obviously don't enjoy the design philosophy itself behind RoA. Secondly, DI already has a decent impact on the combo game as a whole. With relatively little experience, being as this a beta for a game that isn't even released to the public, I can find myself already properly DIing away on several occasions that would usually result in a devastating combo with poor DI. After fine tuning the DI and SDI values and properties in future patches, I see very little already within RoA that couldn't be solved by simply learning how to play against it.

Onto the subject of Parries, in theory I could see them potential causing problems in the neutral game. The timing is a little strict, but easily manageable with a bit of practice, and the only counter play to them atm is baiting them out and stopping jabs short which usually doesn't lead anywhere. Successfully baiting a parry can lead to a devastating combo, but perhaps a different sort of counterplay should be incorporated as well. I know you absolutely do not want to introduce grabs and I can understand why from an the animating standpoint you brought up, so how about a different approach.

Perhaps we could give each character 1 attack that bypasses a parry, kinda of like an armor break in SF4. It would be this games equivalent to an unblockable attack. This should be designated to attacks that have relative long startup though, and should give off some sort of effect to alert the opponent of it's special properties. Some sort of glow or aura, possibly that goes over the character for a brief moment during the startup, maybe like a dust attack in GG. Or since I'm comparing this to an armor break in SF4, a focus attack. Moves that characters already have that would be ideal candidates for this could possibly be Wrastor's DSpecial, Zetta's DSpecial, Kragg's FSmash, and Orcane's UpSpecial. Orcane's is a little iffy to me, but it's already an extremely polarizing move and is usually only used as a recovery or when you're absolutely positive you can combo into it. The others I find extremely suitable.

I'd also like to touch on the concept of a burst or combo breaker people were bringing up as well. It sounds interesting to say the least. I've never imagined a mechanic like that in a platform fighter before, but balancing it would be extremely tricky... For one, if a defender has a burst and they're knocked offstage, pursuing them could become incredibly risky for the comboer. What if someone was to burst and you ended up crossing up behind them offstage? All of a sudden they'd be in the advantage, and could possibly convert that burst into a kill themselves. To offset this, I've thought of a couple ways to mitigate how much it could influence the battle:
  1. Bursts regenerate after 3-4 minutes, most likely designating them to only be used once or twice at most throughout a match
  2. Connecting with a burst will knock the opponent a set distance away from you, but with very little horizontal distance. Think of it like a weaker Marth counter in terms of knockback, but similar hitstun.
  3. Failing to connect with a burst will send a character into special fall, making it as much of a risk to use offstage as it is for an opponent to follow up a combo after knocking you offstage
Anyways, that's what I've brainstormed for a possible burst/combo breaker being implemented, but is by no means necessary at all in my opinion. It would give this game something else that sets itself apart from smash though, and that's never a bad thing.

And with that I think I'm done for now. Nothing really of major value within this post actually, just a short rant and a bit of theory crafting. Hopefully you find something useful/interesting within this post though lol. This games already plenty amazing as it is as multiple people have stated. Just wanted to let you know again xD

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885

Nah, you weren't. I did ask for Feedback, so it's completely fine. But, even IF Alligator isn't necessairily water, a Lion ISNT fire! See what I mean? But, yes, I completely agree with your other complaints, especially the stage control :p

T00nbink

Smash Cadet
I will upload all kind of fan made stuff from RoA on this website (and my own stuff). Just because if I make something new, I don't have to spam the forum. (and if you have made something and it isn't on the site just tell me and I will change it).

http://rivalsofaether.weebly.com/

(there is a lot wrong with the site but I just made it because I was bored).

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
I will upload all kind of fan made stuff from RoA on this website (and my own stuff). Just because if I make something new, I don't have to spam the forum. (and if you have made something and it isn't on the site just tell me and I will change it).

The logo covers your images in the skins section but not the rest for some reason.

Now that I think about it, @ 4nace 4nace : I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to start out modding by adding palette colors as a PNG. Think of it similar to Crusade.

Last edited:

Hatninja

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hatninja
So it seems i have speed issues with the game when my logitech controller is plugged in. It could be the computer, but otherwise it runs just fine with my PS3 controllers. The irony!

akf09

Smash Apprentice
a lion is fire... he fits the fire element perfectly he is head strong, straightforward and powerful. i am going to release an idea i have been coming up with for an ice element character design and i hope you at least read it dan! @ 4nace 4nace also i hope you guys can give me some feedback and way to tweak things that you think do not fit the design.

akf09

Smash Apprentice
Character concept, please read. have not come up with a name, catchphrase or visual art yet.

Dan please read and give me feedback. @ 4nace 4nace

This is my ice character concept, a frost penguin character that has a unique ice system. Frost slowly builds up on the penguin over time indicated by a meter under his stock count at the bottom of the screen. Once the meter reaches maximum capacity he is considered frosted and the ice begins to affect his play style. Being frosted increases gravity, weight and causes the player to slide allowing new combo possibilities. While in frost state his next strong or special attack (excluding his neutral special) are augmented with frost removing all frost from him and consuming his entire frost meter. These frost moves apply frost to the opponent putting them in frost state meaning they become slippery and have increased weight and gravity. In addition to applying frost to enemies he can also freeze the ground with some of his special moves when used in frost state. Only one area of the stage can be frozen at a time and the ice melts if he is Koed, freezes a new section of the map or he reaches the limit of how much ice can be on the stage. Naturally iced portions of the map are slippery. Ice penguin regenerates ice meter more quickly while standing on ice. Also if a frosted opponent comes in contact with the ice on the stage he will be frozen to the floor for a short period of time rendering them stunned.

Ice shard (side special)

Penguin shoots a shard of ice forward in a straight line that will pass through enemies. He can only have one ice shard on the screen at a time

With a full frost meter he fires a more powerful ice shard that does not pass through enemies but instead applies frost to the first enemy it hits.

Ice Board (down special)

Penguin slides forward on a board of ice he creates. Hitting enemies will deal damage and launch them upward. This move is jump cancelable and causes the board to continue sliding forward on the ground as a projectile that will deal less damage and knockback. The penguin can only have one ice board can be out at a time. While on the board he is affected by gravity as usual and so is the board after he jumps off of it.

With a full frost meter this move freezes the ground behind him continuously while he is riding the board. If he reaches his limit on ice allowed on the stage it will melt in the order it was created meaning ice furthest from him will melt and he will continue to create new ice behind him. Hitting an opponent with the ice board applies frost to them and deals more damage than the normal version of ice board. Hitting a grounded opponent while riding the board would freeze them to the ground instantly as it is both applying frost to them and the floor they are standing on.

Frost Breath (up special)

Penguin quickly fires a cone of frost downward with his breath sending him soaring upward for recovery and putting him in special fall. The cone of ice deals damage and sends opponents downward with weak knockback. This move can be used while standing on the ground and it will not launch penguin upward, but will still send out a cone of frost that can hit enemies on either side of penguin.

With a full frost meter this move freezes the ground that the frost breath comes in contact with. It also applies frost to opponents; therefore if it hits a grounded opponent it freezes them to the ground instantly. Using this move with a full meter does not put penguin in special fall allowing for follow ups on frosted opponents. However, penguin cannot up special again after using this move until he touches the ground, takes damage or wall jumps.

Ice pull (neutral special)

Ice pull does not use up frost meter. When used it pulls frosted opponents or ice projectiles towards penguin and pulls penguin towards the frosted opponent or projectile. Once an opponent is frosted penguin can manipulate spacing by pull them towards him while pulling himself towards them at the same time. Ice shard and ice board can be pulled back to him by activating this move and also boosts him forward for movement. Once a projectile comes back to penguin it is destroyed.

Frost meter would fully charge in about 20 seconds I am thinking meaning it would take 10 seconds if you were standing on ice continuously. The match starts with an empty meter and KOs reset the meter to zero.

T00nbink

Smash Cadet
Character concept, please read. have not come up with a name, catchphrase or visual art yet.

This is my ice character concept, a frost penguin character that has a unique ice system. Frost slowly builds up on the penguin over time indicated by a meter under his stock count at the bottom of the screen. Once the meter reaches maximum capacity he is considered frosted and the ice begins to affect his play style. Being frosted increases gravity, weight and causes the player to slide allowing new combo possibilities. While in frost state his next strong or special attack (excluding his neutral special) are augmented with frost removing all frost from him and consuming his entire frost meter. These frost moves apply frost to the opponent putting them in frost state meaning they become slippery and have increased weight and gravity. In addition to applying frost to enemies he can also freeze the ground with some of his special moves when used in frost state. Only one area of the stage can be frozen at a time and the ice melts if he is Koed, freezes a new section of the map or he reaches the limit of how much ice can be on the stage. Naturally iced portions of the map are slippery. Ice penguin regenerates ice meter more quickly while standing on ice. Also if a frosted opponent comes in contact with the ice on the stage he will be frozen to the floor for a short period of time rendering them stunned.

Ice shard (side special)

Penguin shoots a shard of ice forward in a straight line that will pass through enemies. He can only have one ice shard on the screen at a time

With a full frost meter he fires a more powerful ice shard that does not pass through enemies but instead applies frost to the first enemy it hits.

Ice Board (down special)

Penguin slides forward on a board of ice he creates. Hitting enemies will deal damage and launch them upward. This move is jump cancelable and causes the board to continue sliding forward on the ground as a projectile that will deal less damage and knockback. The penguin can only have one ice board can be out at a time. While on the board he is affected by gravity as usual and so is the board after he jumps off of it.

With a full frost meter this move freezes the ground behind him continuously while he is riding the board. If he reaches his limit on ice allowed on the stage it will melt in the order it was created meaning ice furthest from him will melt and he will continue to create new ice behind him. Hitting an opponent with the ice board applies frost to them and deals more damage than the normal version of ice board. Hitting a grounded opponent while riding the board would freeze them to the ground instantly as it is both applying frost to them and the floor they are standing on.

Penguin quickly fires a cone of frost downward with his breath sending him soaring upward for recovery and putting him in special fall. The cone of ice deals damage and sends opponents downward with weak knockback. This move can be used while standing on the ground and it will not launch penguin upward, but will still send out a cone of frost that can hit enemies on either side of penguin.

With a full frost meter this move freezes the ground that the frost breath comes in contact with. It also applies frost to opponents; therefore if it hits a grounded opponent it freezes them to the ground instantly. Using this move with a full meter does not put penguin in special fall allowing for follow ups on frosted opponents. However, penguin cannot up special again after using this move until he touches the ground, takes damage or wall jumps.

Ice pull does not use up frost meter. When used it pulls frosted opponents or ice projectiles towards penguin and pulls penguin towards the frosted opponent or projectile. Once an opponent is frosted penguin can manipulate spacing by pull them towards him while pulling himself towards them at the same time. Ice shard and ice board can be pulled back to him by activating this move and also boosts him forward for movement. Once a projectile comes back to penguin it is destroyed.

Frost meter would fully charge in about 20 seconds I am thinking meaning it would take 10 seconds if you were standing on ice continuously. The match starts with an empty meter and KOs reset the meter to zero.

It sounds really interesting. Dan said in his interview that he didn't knew yet of he would use ice, magma, thunder etc. characters if I remember correcly. But I would love some kind ice character.

T00nbink

Smash Cadet
The logo covers your images in the skins section but not the rest for some reason.

Now that I think about it, @ 4nace 4nace : I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to start out modding by adding palette colors as a PNG. Think of it similar to Crusade.
Thanks for checking it out.

I fixed some of the problems. I hope the site works better now.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Ok guys, new controller set-up question. With the Mayflash Adaptor with 2 ports, we can only get one of the ports to be recognized by the game at the same time. Both controllers inputs are recognized by windows though, if I go into the control panel settings and test button presses the drivers do appear to be picking them up properly. In game is a different question, however. Can anyone help out with this, we were hoping to get a stream going today.

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Ok guys, new controller set-up question. With the Mayflash Adaptor with 2 ports, we can only get port 1 to be recognized by the game. Both controllers inputs are recognized by windows though, if I go into the control panel settings and test button presses the drivers do appear to be picking them up properly. In game is a different question, however. Can anyone help out with this, we were hoping to get a stream going today.
Dan addresses this in the email. Has to do with USB controller settings in control panel.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Dan addresses this in the email. Has to do with USB controller settings in control panel.
We have tried setting both controllers as the preferred device as per Dan's instructions and both gave us this effect.

*Edit*

By some miracle or act of god, it randomly started working just now. So i guess things are fine for the moment lol, not gonna question it.

Last edited:

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Hey guys, we're live! I'm streaming 1v1s on the alpha build with Zman and LTR Owen!

Sorry for the double post, but we just got things working with the stream and the 3 of us are streaming some actual friendlies finally. Just wanted anyone who is set to receive thread notifications to see this.

http://www.twitch.tv/azprojectmelee

Yurya

Smash Apprentice

Ice shard (side special)

Ice Board (down special)

Because I think that all new characters should follow what the previous characters have in there own unique stage control features.
I do like the ability to freeze the ground for this reason. In fact I would expand that and center the character's abilities around it.
  • At least one special move that places an ice sheet on the ground.
  • Ice is slippery for all but the character owning it (dittos have separate ice sheets)
  • the ability to tech while on ice sheets is hindered, as is turning around stopping a run/beginning a run/walk

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942

I saw my colors on the website and decided to upgrade them

akf09

Smash Apprentice
Because I think that all new characters should follow what the previous characters have in there own unique stage control features.
I do like the ability to freeze the ground for this reason. In fact I would expand that and center the character's abilities around it.
  • At least one special move that places an ice sheet on the ground.
  • Ice is slippery for all but the character owning it (dittos have separate ice sheets)
  • the ability to tech while on ice sheets is hindered, as is turning around stopping a run/beginning a run/walk

i like your ideas about enemies being unable to tech on ice, and not all characters are all about their affects on the map. zetter for example is unique due to his burning combo system and only has 1 way to change the map

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
I found Zetterburn to be quite broken with sliding strong attacks :p
Err.... I'm just gonna leave this here with something I typed before recording the video...
My Orcane has become pretty broken by exploiting the initial turning momentum which adds to his running momentum. He slides across about half the stage Combine this with puddles and he has total space control. Also notice how I gathered the puddle in the middle of the attack a few times. I tried doing this trick with Zetterburn's Strongs and it isn't that big of a boost. The UStrong is small, but the rest of his moves are even smaller because of the fact that he doesn't gain the running momentum. He should at least be able to do dash-smashing if double-momentum smashes are to be kept.

Edit 1: I'm not talking about removing the momentum for jumps. I remember messing around with that on Squirtle and it was fun. I found it weird that he could double the distance he covers. Maybe that could be toned down for his smashes.

Edit note: Leaving out a number in my username number made the post tag a totally unrelated user. My apologies if you are notified as it wasn't my intention to even put a username in that quote.

Last edited:
Top Bottom