• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals 2 Kickstarter Funded

Rivals_2_kickstarter_variant.jpg

Rivals 2, the sequel to Rivals of Aether, launched a Kickstarter this week and is already funded.

Even with funding for final polish confirmed, there's several stretch goals in the Kickstarter. Current unlocked Stretch Goals include increasing the launch roster (currently increased by 2 characters) and a pre-release tournament at Genesis X. Future goals include adding various features (Ranked Mode, Character Tutorials, and Story Mode Chapter 1) at launch. The Rivals team plans to keep updating the game after launch with updates, and they're committed to releasing in late 2024.

You can check out the video for the Rivals 2 Kickstarter below,

Rivals 2 is set to release on Steam in the fourth quarter of 2024. Other platforms will be examined later.

Author's Note: Wow. And I mean wow. Almost 600k and it's only been about 48 hours? Who knows, maybe they'll get to their 4 million Stretch Goal after-all. What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments :)

Credits:
Writing: Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa
Thumbnail Graphic: @Zerp
Social: @Zerp

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

Honestly have some mixed feelings about their decision to go 3D.

I know indie games tend to favor pixilated sprites because it's easier on the budget, and moving to 3D is probably due to the success of the first game...but man if there isn't something charming about 2D animation.

I know indie games tend to favor pixilated sprites because it's easier on the budget, and moving to 3D is probably due to the success of the first game...but man if there isn't something charming about 2D animation.
One of the downsides to the 2D pixel art is that Dan Fornace had to significantly limit what actions the characters could take, at least at the time. That's why RoA did not feature shields, grabs, ledge grabs, etc. That's not to say that it can't be done (Fraymakers has proven that) but it is significantly more work, and Fornace didn't have the man power to do it back then.

On the flip side, Rivals 2 has a "comic book" art direction that looks great in motion.

Also using 3d models has tons of advantages like:
The developers being able to make costumes
And modding might be easier!

The way Fleet's outfit is layered over Kragg in the thumbnail made it look like he had jeans on when i wasn't looking closely and now i want a kragg with denim alt

I'm not too surprised at that, the first game is one of the few majorly popular Platform Fighters outside of Smash. With a dedicated following like that, you're bound to have people willing to back it. Hoping for the best for both the devs and the players this goes well.

Top Bottom