• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman. Rise and shine. " - Gordon Freeman for Smash

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Not today, sorry for the double post. However...

So Steve was in development for three years. Now we know Valve was in talks with Nintendo for quite some time to make a Half-Life game on Switch. Tactics might have been canceled, but part of the deal might have been Smash related. Could Gordon have been in development for a similar length of time as Steve?

I think this probably fits better for actual rumored characters like Ryu Hayabusa or maaaaaybe Doomguy, but who knows?
That is some incredibly interesting news. If certain characters have been planned for three years then that might explain why some rumored characters haven't shown up yet.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Not today, sorry for the double post. However...

So Steve was in development for three years. Now we know Valve was in talks with Nintendo for quite some time to make a Half-Life game on Switch. Tactics might have been canceled, but part of the deal might have been Smash related. Could Gordon have been in development for a similar length of time as Steve?

I think this probably fits better for actual rumored characters like Ryu Hayabusa or maaaaaybe Doomguy, but who knows?
That might not necessarily be the case. From The Final Hours of Alyx, we've gotten official word that there's a number of projects that was cancelled, a lot of them being Half-Life titles and a few non-Half-Life games like the Left 4 Dead game and the RPG one. That list didn't include Tactics. While it's possible that they just didn't feel like mentioning it or they were contractually obligated to not talk about it, it does present the possibility that they've decided to work on it. The Final Hours of Alyx also mentioned that Valve has been working on a top secret project that started in 2018, which could be Tactics.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
That might not necessarily be the case. From The Final Hours of Alyx, we've gotten official word that there's a number of projects that were canceled, a lot of them being Half-Life titles and a few non-Half-Life games like the Left 4 Dead game and the RPG one. That list didn't include Tactics. While it's possible that they just didn't feel like mentioning it or they were contractually obligated to not talk about it, it does present the possibility that they've decided to work on it. The Final Hours of Alyx also mentioned that Valve has been working on a top-secret project that started in 2018, which could be Tactics.
Oh, interesting. That would make sense. Tactics still being alive could bode well for Gordon. Especially since Nintendo was the one who approached them to make the game in the first place.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Apparently the North American stream STILL can't show titles of M-rated games. I wonder what would happen if hypothetically someone from a M-rated series (like Half-Life) would join as a fully-fledged fighter.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Apparently the North American stream STILL can't show titles of M-rated games. I wonder what would happen if hypothetically someone from a M-rated series (like Half-Life) would join as a fully-fledged fighter.
I feel like in the case of full-on Fighters, they'd make the exception and show the logo. The Sakurai presents video would likely be rated M as a result, but it would make sense considering who the Fighter is.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I love Half-Life about as much as I love Doom, and I'd really love a character from either series to be playable in Smash. So Dr. Freeman's definitely got my support!

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Hey y'all, I haven't seen anyone speculate the songs that would get into smash yet, so I made a small possible list. I chose Black Mesa as the majority since that was the iconic "start" of the franchise, and I'm 99% sure Gabe would allow their songs to be represented.

* = New Remix
Office Complex - Black Mesa*
Blast Pit 3 - Black Mesa*
We've got Hostiles - Black Mesa
Questionable Ethics 1 - Black Mesa
Surface Tension 4 - Black Mesa
Forget About Freeman - Black Mesa

Nuclear Mission Jam - HL1
Diabolical Adrenaline Guitar - HL1
Alien Shock - HL1

CP Violation - HL2
Apprehension and Evasion - HL2
Tracking Device - HL2
Penultimatum - HL2: EP1
Hunting Party - HL2: EP2

Antlion Combat - HLA
Arena Boss - HLA
Combine Battle - HLA
Combine Battle 2 - HLA
Combine Battle 3 - HLA

edit: Added some HL1 songs

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Hey y'all, I haven't seen anyone speculate the songs that would get into smash yet, so I made a small possible list. I chose Black Mesa as the majority since that was the iconic "start" of the franchise, and I'm 99% sure Gabe would allow their songs to be represented.

* = New Remix

CP Violation - HL2
Tracking Device - HL2

Antlion Combat - HLA
Arena Boss - HLA
Combine Battle - HLA
Combine Battle 2 - HLA
Combine Battle 3 - HLA
Didn't reply to this because I didn't think about it at the moment, but I do question if Nintendo would be okay with representing a fan remake in Smash Bros, or if they would make an exception since Black Mesa is an officially-approved fan remake of a Valve title and not a Nintendo title.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice

* = New Remix

CP Violation - HL2
Tracking Device - HL2

Antlion Combat - HLA
Arena Boss - HLA
Combine Battle - HLA
Combine Battle 2 - HLA
Combine Battle 3 - HLA
Pretty good list, however, I'd definitely prefer HL1 tracks over Black Mesa tracks. I'd be down for some Black Mesa representation, but only if it's minimal since it is a fan remake that started out as a mod for Half-Life 2. The thing with Half-Life music is that alot of songs carry over from HL1 to HL2(Drums and Riffs, Nuclear Mission Jam, and Tracking Device from your list are good examples of this). So if Gordon was to ever get in Smash, I have no idea how Nintendo would specify which tracks come from what game.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Pretty good list, however, I'd definitely prefer HL1 tracks over Black Mesa tracks. I'd be down for some Black Mesa representation, but only if it's minimal since it is a fan remake that started out as a mod for Half-Life 2. The thing with Half-Life music is that alot of songs carry over from HL1 to HL2(Drums and Riffs, Nuclear Mission Jam, and Tracking Device from your list are good examples of this). So if Gordon was to ever get in Smash, I have no idea how Nintendo would specify which tracks come from what game.
So, I just looked at the HL1 OST (I hardly remember it since I've played Black Mesa so much), and there isn't a lot of choices for combat music. I added a few of the tracks to the list.

Didn't reply to this because I didn't think about it at the moment, but I do question if Nintendo would be okay with representing a fan remake in Smash Bros, or if they would make an exception since Black Mesa is an officially-approved fan remake of a Valve title and not a Nintendo title.
If Gabe gives the OK to use Black Mesa content in Smash, which I personally think he should since they put in so much effort for the remake, then I don't really see a problem with it.

One more thing, I've been performing a ritual of sorts to get Gordon in Smash by playing all canonical Half-Life games in order. I recommend doing it too, it feels like a real journey. I'm currently nearing the end of HLA.

Eldrake

Smash Lord

Developer commentary for Half-Life: Alyx is now available.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Black Mesa did Xen justice, so for that and being a successful labor of love by a small group of fans, I think it deserves to be remembered fondly as a part of Half-Life's history.

That said, it's still a fan remake that was approved to be sold on Steam by Valve rather than an officially approved remake that's considered canon, so it's not exactly Valve property, nor are the portrayals seen in the game said to be canon like what has been stated in official material. Odds of the game getting representation in Smash alongside Gordon himself are highly unlikely. I'd love to see it, though.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
You know, the Black Mesa talk got me thinking. If Sakurai played Black Mesa and if there was one thing that could have inspired him when it comes to a hypothetical Gordon moveset... how about Black Mesa's take on the long jump module? Three charges that don't put you in a helpless state, but they recharge slowly. Maybe to make it work as a recovery special, you can long jump upward or, if you really want to, downward instead of just forward or backward.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
You know, the Black Mesa talk got me thinking. If Sakurai played Black Mesa and if there was one thing that could have inspired him when it comes to a hypothetical Gordon moveset... how about Black Mesa's take on the long jump module? Three charges that don't put you in a helpless state, but they recharge slowly. Maybe to make it work as a recovery special, you can long jump upward or, if you really want to, downward instead of just forward or backward.
It'd take quite some creative liberty but I can see it work. Valve probably will be fine with using this since they approved selling Black Mesa on Steam so it's up to Sakurai if he wants to adapt something from Black Mesa with Gordon.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Black Mesa's version of the long jump module would be perfect as a recovery move, tbh.

Regarding stages, seeing Black Mesa's take on Xen as or part of the Gordon's stage would be awesome. It still has the alien feel of the original, as well as severa lof the aesthetics, but they expanded upon and added so much to it that it feels more like a "real" world, and an alive one at that, compared to the original's Xen. Again, it'd just make the theoretical Black Mesa representation all the better.

On that note, I never actually disliked the original Half-Life's Xen levels like many do, but both visually and gameplay-wise, Black Mesa's Xen is far superior. It was rushed in the original, after all.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Count me in as a supporter!

wink.png

Edit: I'm such a large supporter that I wrote an entire essay arguing for Gordon's chances in Smash! You can read it over on the DLC Speculation Thread here!

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
It's been five months since the last post, huh? Let's fix that.
So, any of you guys think there's a chance that we might see the announcement of a new Half-Life title in the PC Gaming Show stream?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
It's been five months since the last post, huh? Let's fix that.
So, any of you guys think there's a chance that we might see the announcement of a new Half-Life title in the PC Gaming Show stream?
It's heavily likely. IIRC something Half-Life related got tweeted and deleted immediately, I remember the team that made Alyx saying they're not done with Half-Life and they have more ideas they want to pull off. This E3 is gonna be a juicy one for sure.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Wouldn't it be amazing if CP11 was Gordon?

It would be the best possible ending to Smash for me. And probably for a lot of people who post in this thread.

Also, have this moveset video:

That's a great character concept and moveset video, and one I can get behind.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Copying my post in the Heavy support thread, do you guys think the Steam Deck changes the chance of a Valve rep? I could see it being a bad sign that Valve is making what looks to be a pretty direct competitor to Nintendo Switch. Heck, for all we know they could have their own crossover type game in the works, though admittedly that's a reach.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to see Valve represented in some way, even if it was just like, a headcrab mii hat.

Gordon would be very cool but I don't see him happening. I almost feel like Atlas and P-Body fit Smash a little better, but their moveset would be hard to figure out. Either way, I'm hoping the last rep is a western FPS character just for a change of pace.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I'd love to see Valve represented in some way, even if it was just like, a headcrab mii hat.

Gordon would be very cool but I don't see him happening. I almost feel like Atlas and P-Body fit Smash a little better, but their moveset would be hard to figure out. Either way, I'm hoping the last rep is a western FPS character just for a change of pace.
I'd prefer to see Heavy from Team Fortress 2 or any of the other mercs.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm interested in the Steam Deck what with it's specs and portability, a handheld PC sounds neat as a novelty to get. It does make me wonder what the future of this market will develop in the future though. Valve has made it clear since day one that they're doing this precisely to kickstart this market and expand the PC ecosystem.

This reminded me of that one time where Gabe said he was jealous of Nintendo's ability to develop hardware and software together way back in 2018. With the Index and Deck could we be seeing Valve delve more into hardware development for PC? Part of me thinks this might be the case.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
the only downside of the steam deck is that I was really hoping we'd see some valve titles on the switch someday.
releasing their own switch-inspired handheld makes that feel a little less likely.

Eldrake

Smash Lord

Just Gabe Newell not-so-subtly implying that we're getting a new Half-Life title somewhere in the future.

Top Bottom