"Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman. Rise and shine. " - Gordon Freeman for Smash

Who is Gordon Freeman?
Gordon is the protagonist of the Half-Life franchise. A scientist who worked at Black Mesa, a large research facility that studied multiple dangerous projects. One day while Gordon was working, an experiment went wrong and caused an invasion by an alien force coming from a alien homeworld called Xen. Gordon equipped his crowbar and defeated the alien force after traveling to Xen. However, when returning to Earth, he was confronted by the G-man, a mysterious entity who put Gordon into a stasis state. Half-Life 2 continues immediately after the events of the original game. Gordon wakes up from his stasis and discovers that Earth got taken over by an alien empire called the Combine. Gordon picks up his crowbar once more and leads a resistance force to defeat the Combine and take back Earth.

Why should he be in Smash?
Gordon is the most iconic character from Valve, the company that created Steam. He's known by gamers worldwide. The Half-Life franchise is responsible for influencing the industry and changing the FPS genre and how we look at it. The physics engine of Half-Life 2 was revolutionary at it's time and was praised by many industry leaders. Half-Life has been responsible for the creation of many games that were originally mods for the original Half-Life, the most famous examples are Counter-Strike and Team Fortress.

But isn't the Half-Life series dead?
While the Half-Life series has been neglected by Valve in recent years, it's a franchise that influenced the gaming industry to the point that it's considered a juggernaut and icon for video games. Mods for the games continue to be made to this day. A remake for the original game called Black Mesa has been in development for some time now and is near completion. And Gordon even appeared in the Final Fantasy XV PC version as a playable character!

How would he work in Smash?
Gordon has a wide variety of weaponry that he can use to battle. His signature crowbar being his method for CQC. He also has access to grenades, machine guns, shotguns, revolvers, crossbows, pulse rifles. But there is one weapon that is entirely unique to Gordon.

The Zero Point Energy Field Manipulator

AKA The Gravity Gun
This gun is the most interesting one out of Gordon's entire arsenal and it's his most invaluable tool after the crowbar. The gravity gun has two modes: It can either fire an energy blast that punts the targeted object with great force. Or it can pick up objects from a distance and hold them, it can then either drop the object or fire it like a projectile. The supercharged version of the gun can hold even enemy combatants and fire them away. I can see Gordon building a unique and interesting move set with all these tools at his disposal, he would definitely be a fun fighter if added to Smash.

With all that said, let us hope we see the Freeman once more.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Nero
Switch FC
Devil Hunter
Oh hell yeah, sign me up.

For a Valve rep, I'm split on Chell, TF2 Scout, and Gordon Freeman, but seriously any of those would shock me and excite me beyond belief.

Oh hell yeah, sign me up.

For a Valve rep, I'm split on Chell, TF2 Scout, and Gordon Freeman, but seriously any of those would shock me and excite me beyond belief.
I prefer Gordon if we're getting a Valve character. Not only is he extremely important to Valve's history and gaming in general, but Half-Life is the inspiration for Team Fortress 2 and Portal. I feel it's more appropriate if he got in first.

With that said, Sakurai did comment on Half-Life 2 and it's importance before:
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2017/07/12/feelofamericangames/

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Wow, has it already been almost 15 years since Half-Life 2's release? I feel old....

Anyways, sign me up as a supporter! Gordon Freeman would be great to see in Smash!

Two weeks from now will be the twelfth E3 since Episode Two's release. It's sad to see how the time flew by.

GreyJinjo

Smash Cadet
A week ago, the character that i wanted the most finally got confirmed after years of imagining and requesting. Now that he's in, i'm eternally grateful for smash ultimate and I'm just about done critiquing on what the game needs. From now on, it's pretty much entirely the icing on the cake of what the last 2 characters of the fighters pass are. It doesn't matter who they are to me anymore as long as they seem like a interesting character. But I think it would be a cool and unique choice to finally add a character to represent the FPS genre. And I would personally want Gordon Freeman to be the one to do that. Add me to the list!