• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Riivolution Q&A and Help Thread

Matteron

Smash Ace
Ok, so I downloaded the RiiFS I launched it and I tried to input some different commands into it but nothing is working! Please Aerial make a tut.

dniMretsaM

Smash Apprentice
a, c, e) Simply not interested in catering to that audience.
Why not? Not all back up/USB loader users are people who have illegally copied ISOs. Using a back up/USB loader would allow us to embed codes, thus, making it easier to B+ while still using riivolution:chuckle:. Not all back up/USBers are pirates; you would be wise to remember that.

Other than that, looks great.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
So how is this going? Anything simplified enough for people to use? :p

dniMretsaM: Yeah, I can't use Riivolution because my disc drive doesn't read things for some reason. ;_; I never even hacked my Wii when it started acting up.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Why not? Not all back up/USB loader users are people who have illegally copied ISOs. Using a back up/USB loader would allow us to embed codes, thus, making it easier to B+ while still using riivolution:chuckle:. Other Not all back up/USBers are pirates; you would be wise to remember that.
The majority are; and even if the majority wasn't, some still are.

Starkiller95

Smash Cadet
dniMretsaM: Yeah, I can't use Riivolution because my disc drive doesn't read things for some reason. ;_; I never even hacked my Wii when it started acting up.
There are replacement DVD drives you can order, you know. (obviously sending it back to Nintendo isn't the best course of action - you could get a new wii with all the latest unreversable hack protection!)

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
RiiFS needs a guide. I navigated to it with all of the parameters required via command prompt, and it didn't work

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
There are replacement DVD drives you can order, you know. (obviously sending it back to Nintendo isn't the best course of action - you could get a new wii with all the latest unreversable hack protection!)
Least they could do is disable DVD backup launching, but I doubt there'd be hack protection.

Ok, I know how to make an XML, but what does the RiiFS exe do?
RiiFS is meant to be opened from the Command Prompt when you give it commands...e.g. if you were to place "RiiFS.exe" at C:\ this should happen (after going to Start -> Run -> typing "cmd" without quotes -> OK):

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Bionic> cd \

C:\> riifs / 1137
As for the rest of it, I still need to find my Brawl disk to help everyone out. ;-;

AerialX

Smash Cadet
Hm, could we allow retries on loading from Riivolution instead of moving back to the Homebrew Channel then?
Retries?

The worst they can possibly do is give you one with a totally new DVD drive, which means no burned backups. There's no other hack protection, and even that doesn't block homebrew or USB loaders.
EDIT: Okay, I lied; newer Wiis can't install BootMii. Just don't try dangerous homebrew; I've never had a need for it >.>

RiiFS is meant to be opened from the Command Prompt when you give it commands...e.g. if you were to place "RiiFS.exe" at C:\ this should happen (after going to Start -> Run -> typing "cmd" without quotes -> OK):

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Bionic> cd \

C:\> riifs / 1137
As for the rest of it, I still need to find my Brawl disk to help everyone out. ;-;
Not sure what Windows does with a "/" path... I'll try to explain it best I can.

First, set up a folder to be your Riivolution root. Treat it like an SD card; make a /ssbb folder and a /riivolution folder under it, and put some normal XMLs in C:\your\riivolution\root\riivolution; you don't have to edit them specifically for RiiFS.
Once you're in a commandprompt like Bionic said, cd to the path where RiiFS.exe is. Then type...
Code:
C:\riifs\> riifs C:\your\riivolution\root
Optionally add a different port to the end, but it defaults to 1137 anyway.

Put an XML in /riivolution on an SD/SDHC/USB device, like the one explained here. Then with that in your Wii, start Riivolution up. Loading will take longer because it'll connect to wifi, but once it connects you should see some lines scroll on your command prompt to show that it connected and is doing something. From there it should just work.

EDIT: And for any Linux users around, you can use mono without problems.

Matteron

Smash Ace
Oh ok!
I will test this out then!
Edit: Does not show up in riivolution. :(

Here is exactly what I have in my XML
Code:
<wiidisc version="1">
  <id game="RSB" />
  <network protocol="riifs" address="67.xxx.xxx.xxx" port="1137" />
</wiidisc>

AerialX

Smash Cadet
Oh ok!
I will test this out then!
Edit: Does not show up in riivolution. :(

Here is exactly what I have in my XML
Code:
<wiidisc version="1">
  <id game="RSB" />
  <network protocol="riifs" address="67.xxx.xxx.xxx" port="1137" />
</wiidisc>
Use your local IP on your router, not your external IP. It's normally 192.168.x.x... Otherwise you need to forward ports and are taking a slower roundabout way.

Matteron

Smash Ace
ok I'll try that...
Edit:ya, still nothing, does the file have to be named a certain way?
Mine is currently named:
RiiFSmeleeSSBB.xml
Also, it not like it doesn't, but it just riivolution does not list it,

AerialX

Smash Cadet
ok I'll try that...
Edit:ya, still nothing, does the file have to be named a certain way?
Mine is currently named:
RiiFSmeleeSSBB.xml
Also, it not like it doesn't, but it just riivolution does not list it,
Well, it has to be in the /riivolution folder on your SD card. And you'd notice an extra few seconds of loading time as it connects to the wifi if it was picking up the XML... Also make sure you have Brawl in and not some other game :p

Besides that, are you sure the IP is right? Are you sure you don't have a firewall blocking the program?

Matteron

Smash Ace
It is in the riivolution folder, I know I have to wait a couple section, yes I do have brawl in, and no I don't have a firewall protecting it.
So here is what I did, I ran the command prompt part and it worked.
I placed the XML on my SD card in the :/riivolution folder.
I ran riivolution.
Riivolution loads the disc and everything, but my xml does not appear.

AerialX

Smash Cadet
It is in the riivolution folder, I know I have to wait a couple section, yes I do have brawl in, and no I don't have a firewall protecting it.
So here is what I did, I ran the command prompt part and it worked.
I placed the XML on my SD card in the :/riivolution folder.
I ran riivolution.
Riivolution loads the disc and everything, but my xml does not appear.
And the server program doesn't print out anything at all to the window?
(Also can you notice the time difference in it finishing loading without the XML on the card vs. it in?)

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Go into Command Prompt, type "ipconfig", press Enter, and look for something similar to this:

Under "IPv4 Address" should be your computer's IP. For me, it's 192.168.1.3, so my XML looks like:

Code:
&lt;wiidisc version="1">
  &lt;id game="RSB" />
  &lt;network protocol="riifs" address="192.168.1.3" port="1137" />
&lt;/wiidisc>
Except replace 192.168.1.3 with your computer's IP from ipconfig, and see if it works.

(edit: also, as a precaution Matteron, I'm gonna edit out your IP)

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I mean if Riivol fails to load the disc, don't head back to Homebrew, allow it to try again.

...and no, there's no way I'm buying a new Wii just because the one I have doesn't work exactly like it's supposed to. D: I don't have that kind of money to waste. :p

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
So, how's Ocarina support coming along? Actually, how's the program in general coming along? It looks like there's a LOT of promise in this thread.

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
So, how's Ocarina support coming along? Actually, how's the program in general coming along? It looks like there's a LOT of promise in this thread.
I would also like to know this as well because i like this program alot due to it actually loading faster than the sd method for me but i just hate the fact i can't run b+ while using this.
On a unrelated note how come everybody's avatars disappeared o.O

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I believe Dant said he was going to work on a few thing including Ocarina support.

Also.
I will release a basic Ocarina example for all games, a ocarina example for Brawl that allows over 255 lines, and my Brawl Mod Launcher 2.0, which can launch Brawl+, Brawl-, Balanced Brawl, Project:M, and a vBrawl codeset as well, with the ability to toggle custom music seperate from all the codesets(Including custom titles)
I'm sure he's still working on it; sounds sexy.

And I don't know why avatars disappeared either. Mine's gone too.

Mackorony101

Smash Cadet
I hope they add something that makes riivolution actually try to reload a disc once it says "Insert Disc" by like pressing a button or something because It takes a few tries for my wii to load up brawl and its annoying to have to exit and re-enter riivolution whenever it doesn't load.
Also I hope you guys get the codes working cause then it will be even more kickass :p

PS: I do not plan to send my wii in for repairs because I already did that once, it loads other games fine and I don't want nintendo to update my wii to 4.2 if I send it in.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I actually had that rare case where HBC didn't get removed (I didn't think the disc channel update would actually do it; I updated the channel two other times and it didn't hit 4.2).

So, how's SD-loaded SFX replacement looking? Does the future seem promising?

...Just curious...
Someone said they got japanese sound effects working, but that's a simple swap of region sound effect files. I don't know if someone got a successful individual swap yet. I was hoping to try it myself.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
We'd need BrawlBox for individual swaps, but yes, Japanese sound files do work with the current XML.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Oh, I've been using SmashBox according to VILE's guide. Does it really matter that much? What can SmashBox do that BrawlBox can't?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
...Oh. Smashbox... Haven't tried that...

I will later... If it works on the ISO it'll work on Riivolution tho ;D

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I hope to hear success. I'm trying this myself. If we get good feedback, I'll be sure to tell the Project:M team about it (and maybe just take care of some things myself ;)).

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
The problem is, I can't see the group files in BrawlBox and I can't replace them in SmashBox. It seems like you could just replace one .wav with another if file size isn't an issue.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
Has anyone figured out the <macro> tag? I'd like to use that and <param> tags to make different entries for each Toon Link slot and use the same replacements for each of them.

Top Bottom