• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Riivolution Q&A and Help Thread

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I just tried it out, but for some reason, not all files are being replaced. I noticed that all the character, stage, and song files were replaced, but not CSP's, song titles, or the menu. Is there something in the XML that makes it only replace things in the fighter, stage, and sound folders?
Flat method or FPC method? I think either way, you have to use the original file name for some things like mu_menumain_en.pac and sc_selcharacter_en. FPC itself is weird and doesn't look for those exact names.

AerialX

Smash Cadet
So I move the "private" folder into (SD root)/ssbb?
No, only the first Brawl template XML expects files to be in /ssbb.
The second one, the file replacement XML expects it to be in /private like you should have it now.

Hozu

Smash Journeyman
I just tried it out, but for some reason, not all files are being replaced. I noticed that all the character, stage, and song files were replaced, but not CSP's, song titles, or the menu. Is there something in the XML that makes it only replace things in the fighter, stage, and sound folders?

EDIT: I just checked the XML, and it apparently checks everything inside the PF folder. So, why is it that my common5.pac, info.pac, etc. aren't being replaced?
Flat method or FPC method? I think either way, you have to use the original file name for some things like mu_menumain_en.pac and sc_selcharacter_en. FPC itself is weird and doesn't look for those exact names.
This may also be caused because the FPC looks in the pfmenu2 folder rather than pf/menu2 due to an error. If reverting to the original names doesn't work, try that.

Edit: Confirmed. Move everything in pfmenu2 to pf/menu2, and add _en where necessary. This thread will help.

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
To save a XML file right click and save link as.
You put the XML in /riivolution, not /app/riivolution
You put all your texture and stuff in /ssbb
Unless you're using the second XML, in which you should leave all your files where they used to be.

Basically, if you already had Brawl stuff on your SD, use the second XML and don't move anything. If you're just now using your SD card for Brawl files, get the first XML and put your pf folder in /ssbb.

Hozu

Smash Journeyman
Oh man, I sure hope that getting Ocarina codes to work for this isn't as complicated as that template for it looks, I have no idea where to start on that.

AerialX

Smash Cadet
Oh man, I sure hope that getting Ocarina codes to work for this isn't as complicated as that template for it looks, I have no idea where to start on that.
Until someone who knows what they're doing adjusts it to actually work, I wouldn't suggest trying it. As I mentioned before, I haven't had time to do so myself, so I just posted what I had started with.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Alright, the best I can do is wait then. I totally forgot I do need the vault data just to perform a SmashStack, but I also don't have a spare USB (I guard my main one with my life because it has uber important stuff on it). So, I can't do much with Riivolution right now >_>.

Oh well.

Hozu

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing that if you're using Riivolution off a USB drive/stick the textures have to be on it also, rather than the SD card, right? Sorry if the answer is obvious.

Edit: Bleh, can't use my custom CSS now since it required codes to run. Wasted about 10 min trying before I realized why it kept freezing.

Edit 2: Anyone try using a file larger than the original yet?

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
No, it needs to go in the /riivolution folder. Not /apps/riivolution, just /riivolution.

EDIT: And about the SD/USB question, just plug a USB drive in with a /riivolution folder and some XMLs and it'll be used like an SD card. Riivolution will load XMLs from both at once if it can.
Hey, could you possibly answer the rest of my questions? You seem pretty knowledgeable of this and I'd really like to know this info. before I try this.

7) For the file replacements, what folder would I have to make for SSBB?

8) I see a patch was made for Code based support, so does this mean I can play Brawl+ while replacing all the textures and music I want off an SDHC card?

9) I can only have 1 set of replacements on the card I'm using with Riivolution right? So that means I won't be able to use Almas' Alternate File Loader right?

10) Or is it possible to have more than 1 specific replacement and choose which ones I want applied before I start the game?

11) In which case I'd have to restart my Wii if I want to change which files I want replaced right?

12) Following up from the last ones, if I can have more than one specific replacement, how would you sort these, say I have 2 .pacs for Link, and I place them inside this folder, they both can't be named FitLink.pac and be in the same place, so one has to be named different, then in that case, if I want to restart my Wii and use the second one with a different name, wouldn't I have to take the card out, go to my computer and rename it to FitLink.pac and keep doing this over and over?

AerialX

Smash Cadet
Hey, could you possibly answer the rest of my questions? You seem pretty knowledgeable of this and I'd really like to know this info. before I try this.
Well, I'm knowledgeable because I wrote the program in the first place :p

7) For the file replacements, what folder would I have to make for SSBB?
Depends which XML you use. The first one linked in the download expects files to be in /ssbb on the root of your SD card; the second expects them to be similar to how they were with the replacement code, under /private/etc/pf

8) I see a patch was made for Code based support, so does this mean I can play Brawl+ while replacing all the textures and music I want off an SDHC card?
Yes, except for the fact that a working Ocarina-supporting XML hasn't been made yet.

9) I can only have 1 set of replacements on the card I'm using with Riivolution right? So that means I won't be able to use Almas' Alternate File Loader right?
Well, depends on how you define a "set of replacements." If you watch the video you can literally have hundreds of settings that you can flick on and off at will.
Side-note: The Alternate File Loader will not work with Riivolution because it does not support adding new files to the disc yet that weren't there before. It will soon.

10) Or is it possible to have more than 1 specific replacement and choose which ones I want applied before I start the game?
Like I said in the previous answer, watch the video.

11) In which case I'd have to restart my Wii if I want to change which files I want replaced right?
Normally, yes. However, a new method that will remove the need for this is coming along very shortly...

12) Following up from the last ones, if I can have more than one specific replacement, how would you sort these, say I have 2 .pacs for Link, and I place them inside this folder, they both can't be named FitLink.pac and be in the same place, so one has to be named different, then in that case, if I want to restart my Wii and use the second one with a different name, wouldn't I have to take the card out, go to my computer and rename it to FitLink.pac and keep doing this over and over?
You would have to learn how to use Riivolution's XML file format to see how you can define choices and options. But once you have a good XML set up it's possible to tweak it all before game launch without needing a computer.

ChuteTheMessenger

Village's Strongest Hitman
From what I've read and gathered, this program, in the end, does the same thing as a loader that supports ocarina, except that it:

a) Doesn't support backups
b) Requires an odd formatting for memory patching
c) Doesn't support backups
d) Requires that ocarina codes be formatted to work, potentially wasting loads of time just converting a normal codeset into XML
e) Doesn't support backups
f) Works optimally with 4.2 ?!?!

Not to hate on your program, I realise it takes a lot of time and work to create something like this, and I highly respect your work. However, I do not see what makes Riivolution advantageous over other Backup Launchers. Perhaps you could implement backup support, or, if you want to discourage piracy, just make a GUI for the creation of XML's and re-formatting of ocarina codes for use with Riivolution

Roxas M

Smash Master
someone tell me if i'm wrong:
1)i can have my apps and riivolution on my SD card but have the XML & files that i want to replace on my USB stick and it will load & replace them?

2)if you use the FPC XML does that mean you are able to use codes like the CSS codes & infinite replay code or does the FPC XML just change where your replacement files are loaded from?
someone hurry up and make a XML with code support. lol

3)i'm hearing that to use the SD & USB method you have to pull out your SD card then insert it at the option menu or something.
someone mind explaining what menu your supposed to do this?

still need 1 & 3 answered though.

AerialX

Smash Cadet
From what I've read and gathered, this program, in the end, does the same thing as a loader that supports ocarina, except that it:

a) Doesn't support backups
b) Requires an odd formatting for memory patching
c) Doesn't support backups
d) Requires that ocarina codes be formatted to work, potentially wasting loads of time just converting a normal codeset into XML
e) Doesn't support backups
f) Works optimally with 4.2 ?!?!

Not to hate on your program, I realise it takes a lot of time and work to create something like this, and I highly respect your work. However, I do not see what makes Riivolution advantageous over other Backup Launchers. Perhaps you could implement backup support, or, if you want to discourage piracy, just make a GUI for the creation of XML's and re-formatting of ocarina codes for use with Riivolution
a, c, e) Simply not interested in catering to that audience.
b) I like to call it flexible.
d) Not true. It requires someone to take the time to make an XML that will make the Ocarina engine work. Once someone does that it's done for good and you can use GCT files with any game.
f) Works fine with anything, it just needs one thing updated to run. On anything below 4.2 it will install this in less than a minute the first time it's run.

Bottom line is, this wasn't even made for Brawl; it's generic. It works for that purpose, and when used properly, is powerful enough to do whatever you want it to. It was designed to be a content delivery system, so that users can just plop some files on their SD card and play. At this early point, no one has packaged anything up like that yet, so it's more DIY; the wiki is there so people can share XMLs so power-users can make some, and normal users don't have to know about them or need a GUI at all.

Anyway, enough ranting. It's flexible enough to do anything, and has a helpful menu, but it's up to the community to really drive its success.

someone tell me if i'm wrong:
1)i can have my apps and riivolution on my SD card but have the XML & files that i want to replace on my USB stick and it will load & replace them?

2)if you use the FPC XML does that mean you are able to use codes like the CSS codes & infinite replay code or does the FPC XML just change where your replacement files are loaded from?

3)i'm hearing that to use the SD & USB method you have to pull out your SD card then insert it at the option menu or something.
someone mind explaining what menu your supposed to do this?
1) Yes. Or you can put the apps folder on the USB stick as well, the HBC will load apps from there as well.

2) Not yet, no. No one's finished the code support yet. So, it just changes where the replacement files are loaded from.

3) It'd be better to load the entire thing from USB, including the app from the HBC. Then insert the SD card once you enter the Riivolution option selection screen, once you hear the disc start to spin up, or any time after the game has loaded. This soon won't be necessary though.

Matteron

Smash Ace
I just want to make this straight for everyone.
The FPC XML only tells riivolution to look for files like the FPC, but it is just like the normal XML, it is not any sort of coding.

Tempus

Smash Cadet
Just to be clear on this for everyone:

Riivolution is a system for easy file replacement. It replaces any files on any disc easier, faster, and simpler than anything out there. More importantly, it does this better than anything out there. Brawl users have been lucky enough to have a comparable system, but as it relies on Brawl’s SD access no other game can use it.

At this point, you can take any modified file and use it with Riivolution. This means stages, movesets, textures, models, music, sound effects, anything you can make custom content for. Ocarina support is available, but will require a developer to get it setup properly before the codes become plug and play for you like the files are. This is considerably less work than making the codes in the first place was.

For the rest of the world, this means every game now has the customizability that Brawl enjoyed, with an easy to organize GUI, the ability to run it from an unmodifed Wii without any unauthorized installations, and all the special features Riivolution comes with. For Brawl users, this will mean easier swapping between customs, better ways to distribute large packages of modifications, and less work for the end user in setup. It also means the ability to easily swap many kinds of files you couldn’t before.

New features planned include adding new files to disks, loading modifications directly over the network, from your computer or from an internet server, and a more plug and play Ocarina code handler.

In particular, network is a great planned feature. For end users, imagine simply downloading an XML, or typing in an address on your Wii to access the latest version of Brawl+ or SmashStacks archives. No need to download the latest version, or shuffle files around to your SD or USB device. For developers, imagine sitting at your computer, making a file, and then loading it over network to your wii. Then, WHILE RUNNING THE GAME, you change the file and the next time the game loads that file (say, starting a new brawl match), your texture or moveset has been tweaked! Development testing time decreased by 500%.

Preliminary network support with an example built for NSMBWii with custom levels taken from the Reggie filesite will be available later today if all goes well, or later this week if problems crop up.

For those who wish to take a look at the options and flexibility Riivolution offers, please take a look at AerialX’s youtube video. In this video, he has loaded the entirety of SmashStack’s texture archive onto his SD card. He then picks a few textures at random, loads the game, and there they are. His settings are saved for the next time he wants to play. Easy to try out new textures - just one download, just put them on the SD card once, switch between the textures as often as you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZodeoqCuX0A

NNID
Budget_Player
I'm still a bit disappointed at the lack of USB loader support, and I hope it's included in the future. My disc drive just doesn't seem to load games consistently, it takes me about 10 times going to Gecko Os and back (to which each timecontains at least 30 times of pressing Load Game and failing) just to load my Brawl retail disc with Gecko Os, and since you can't reload at the Riivolution screen, I'd have to go back to Homebrew each time.

I at least hope to see some stuff done in other games though. xD
I think the lack of USB loader support is a "**** you" to the hackers that give hacking a bad name. Pretty fitting, not the end of the world IMO. Sure, it kinda sucks for guys with busted disk drives, but that's life.

In particular, network is a great planned feature. For end users, imagine simply downloading an XML, or typing in an address on your Wii to access the latest version of Brawl+ or SmashStacks archives. No need to download the latest version, or shuffle files around to your SD or USB device. For developers, imagine sitting at your computer, making a file, and then loading it over network to your wii. Then, WHILE RUNNING THE GAME, you change the file and the next time the game loads that file (say, starting a new brawl match), your texture or moveset has been tweaked! Development testing time decreased by 500%.
Just to interrupt... you can already do this. :p

Tempus

Smash Cadet
With a usb gecko? Or is there a special brawl hack I’m unaware of?

Eldiran

Smash Lord
This is... a-mazing. Beautiful! I can't wait to play through NSMB again on totally new levels. Or perhaps replace Mario's model with Captain Falcon's :p

Either way, as far as Brawl is concerned, there are clearly advantages and disadvantages, which is acceptable. Odds are I'll stick with FPC for the time being... I'm just excited for all the potential with all the other Wii games.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
It looks really cool and I'm sure some cool things will come out for it that I'll check out, but frankly Brawl is the only game I really care to massively hack. Brawl+ is nearly complete (I believe) and will probably always stay as a code, gct, and SD card based hack. Even if people like me who have to use the USB loader are in the minority, I doubt the developers will give us the finger and switch to Riivolution. Time will tell though.

Either way, super cool hack but we can already do everything I want to change in Brawl and frankly that's the only game I have massively hacked.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I can see a lot of the cons of this literally disappearing over time. With Ocarina support, you won't need GeckOS. Once there is a method to load vault data off the SD while Riivolution is already using it, you won't need a USB just for XMLs and you can do SmashStacks again. Once more organized XMLs are developed (either by this community or by Riivolution developers), it'll be easier to setup just the way you want.

With Riivolution's current limiations, I'll hold off (it's still on the Wii of course). Once the devs settle in, this app will become a paramount feature in Wii hacking. Maybe there will be a way to load two different files replacing the same thing for two different players (with the ability to replace any file, perhaps we could replace article files too)?

Also, with some extensive work, someone could make NSMBWii look like SMB3 :p.

I can't thank PW enough for giving this community such a great opportunity to be prepared for something as unexpected and amazing as this.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
while i think it's fine that this only works with retail disks (brawl was one of the most valuable purchases that i made) there's just going to be constant nagging for this to allow for backups. allowing backups would most likely quiet a lot of complainers and make the program more open, but it is unnecessary

Also, I'd like to know if anyone has successfully replaced a sound effects file with custom sound effects or has replaced the common effects file (where general slash effects are located)

both of which did not replace with the current file replace code.

and I'd take it that the textures of other games can easily be replaced as long as they are located as simple files (like png and whatnot) or are packaged in files that work with brawlbox?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
smashbros_sound.brsar
There's sounds and waves under grouping. The first set under a character is usually the sounds and the other set is the voices.
Use VILE's guide as a reference. The other deal is that we can apparently expand the limited file size so that sound effect sizes don't have to absolutely match. If someone could inform us on how to do that, it would be splendid.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Before I get this, (I also need to wait for Ocarina, but whatever), is it possible to navigate the menus with the GCC? Because I don't like to have to use the Wiimote for booting when I can just use the GCC to go
BootMii -> Homebrew Channel -> GeckoOs -> Brawl.

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
Holy crap this is alot of text to read
anybody mind summing this stuff up for me also is code support been added to this thing?
/confuzzled

Hozu

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow, I managed to get the Japanese voices on NA Brawl on a disc through this. Amazing stuff.

Omegapaste

Smash Cadet
I put the riivolution v1.01 folder in the apps,
another riivolution folder in the root with the FCP XML inside it. But whenever I start up the riivolution it asks me to enable it but even when I do that it doesn't load any textures at all.

I have the private folder with all the things in it in the root, yet the XML doesnt read the pacs/pcs in my pf folder

Power Marshall

Smash Journeyman
I cannot receive/download the SSBB XML file from your site, AerialX. It gives mii a blank screen when I click "Download" under "Super Smash Bros. Brawl."

Edit: Got it. I have a question, though.

When if I use the FPC XML, will I need the actual code?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Holy crap this is alot of text to read
anybody mind summing this stuff up for me also is code support been added to this thing?
/confuzzled
Tempus' post covers this fairly well. Read through the rest of the thread for some extra clarification.

Just to be clear on this for everyone:

Riivolution is a system for easy file replacement. It replaces any files on any disc easier, faster, and simpler than anything out there. More importantly, it does this better than anything out there. Brawl users have been lucky enough to have a comparable system, but as it relies on Brawl’s SD access no other game can use it.

At this point, you can take any modified file and use it with Riivolution. This means stages, movesets, textures, models, music, sound effects, anything you can make custom content for. Ocarina support is available, but will require a developer to get it setup properly before the codes become plug and play for you like the files are. This is considerably less work than making the codes in the first place was.

For the rest of the world, this means every game now has the customizability that Brawl enjoyed, with an easy to organize GUI, the ability to run it from an unmodifed Wii without any unauthorized installations, and all the special features Riivolution comes with. For Brawl users, this will mean easier swapping between customs, better ways to distribute large packages of modifications, and less work for the end user in setup. It also means the ability to easily swap many kinds of files you couldn’t before.

New features planned include adding new files to disks, loading modifications directly over the network, from your computer or from an internet server, and a more plug and play Ocarina code handler.

Preliminary network support with an example built for NSMBWii with custom levels taken from the Reggie filesite will be available later today if all goes well, or later this week if problems crop up.

For those who wish to take a look at the options and flexibility Riivolution offers, please take a look at AerialX’s youtube video. In this video, he has loaded the entirety of SmashStack’s texture archive onto his SD card. He then picks a few textures at random, loads the game, and there they are. His settings are saved for the next time he wants to play. Easy to try out new textures - just one download, just put them on the SD card once, switch between the textures as often as you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZodeoqCuX0A
Before I get this, (I also need to wait for Ocarina, but whatever), is it possible to navigate the menus with the GCC? Because I don't like to have to use the Wiimote for booting when I can just use the GCC to go
BootMii -> Homebrew Channel -> GeckoOs -> Brawl.
Riivolution is loaded through HBC and there's an optional channel version of it. Shouldn't be an issue.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
No, you misunderstood my question, can you navigate through the Riivolution menus with the GCC?

Top Bottom