• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Riivolution Q&A and Help Thread

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Daaaaang. That's a bit of a problem. That means you can't show off awesome replays with the sound effects in place and it messes up other things too.

EDIT: Wait, the brsars are all in sound -> smashbros_sound? I downloaded that and only saw like three characters and a few other things.

Or is it DOUBUTSUGO_JP_BOY.BRSAR?

I'm assuming if I use SSBBtemplate that the file format will be exactly like the disc structure format (as in how the disc partition folder in illinialex's mediafire appears).

AerialX

Smash Cadet
Basically, yea.
I can't even access the replays on my SD card >_>
Try using Riivolution with a USB flash drive.

I'm assuming if I use SSBBtemplate that the file format will be exactly like the disc structure format (as in how the disc partition folder in illinialex's mediafire appears).
Not quite. SSBBtemplate.xml replaces files in a flat way, without folders (it just does filename matching). Changing the folder line to this will make it work the way you want it to:
<folder external="/ssbb" disc="/" />

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I might do that since things could get a bit messy with 100+ files in there.

So, USB will work then, but not SD (for vault data)? I suppose I could switch over if I buy another 4GB USB.

Roxas M

Smash Master
it looks like you basically have to choose between codes or riivoultion.
well until someone makes a XML patch of the ocarina codes that is.

redX do you mind PMing me a link to that mediafire folder?

AerialX

Smash Cadet
I might do that since things could get a bit messy with 100+ files in there.

So, USB will work then, but not SD (for vault data)? I suppose I could switch over if I buy another 4GB USB.
Well, the thing is Brawl can't be using SD if Riivolution is using it at the same time. Having Riivolution use USB to load files from instead (keep the SD card out until it gets to the choice selection screen, or until the game has booted) should allow Brawl to use the SD card like normal.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
EDIT: Wait, the brsars are all in sound -> smashbros_sound? I downloaded that and only saw like three characters and a few other things.
It's that one, trust me.
I'm running the japanese smashbros_sound.
=)

And I don't have a USB flash drive. =_=

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Reading VILE's SFX guide. I might just put all my files in the ssbbfolder anyways. It'll still organize alphabetically (except for brstms, crap >_>).

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I'm still a bit disappointed at the lack of USB loader support, and I hope it's included in the future. My disc drive just doesn't seem to load games consistently, it takes me about 10 times going to Gecko Os and back (to which each timecontains at least 30 times of pressing Load Game and failing) just to load my Brawl retail disc with Gecko Os, and since you can't reload at the Riivolution screen, I'd have to go back to Homebrew each time.

I at least hope to see some stuff done in other games though. xD

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Um... ok few questions as I'm really confused: (Note: I'm concerned with Brawl only)

1) Will this allow me to load files in Brawl from an SDHC card?

2) Will this allow me to load files from a USB stick?

3) I have my apps on my SD card, so if I want to use an SDHC card then do I just copy all my files onto that?

4) Regarding the SD card, if Riivolution is saved as an app on that card, can I still use that same one for it to load textures and music and such while playing Brawl? I'm asking this because I read a comment above when someone had a problem loading stuff off their SD card and someone else responded saying you have to pull out your SD card or something.

5) I'm re-organizing all my hacks, so if I use this then I'm not going to bother using the File replacement thing anymore. In that case, do I still need to lay out specific subfolders for specific things like music files and textures for different characters?

6) In regards to that last question, could I make subfolders if I want to make it more organized or does everything have to be read from one specific folder?

7) For the file replacements, what folder would I have to make for SSBB?

8) I see a patch was made for Code based support, so does this mean I can play Brawl+ while replacing all the textures and music I want off an SDHC card?

9) I can only have 1 set of replacements on the card I'm using with Riivolution right? So that means I won't be able to use Almas' Alternate File Loader right?

10) Or is it possible to have more than 1 specific replacement and choose which ones I want applied before I start the game?

11) In which case I'd have to restart my Wii if I want to change which files I want replaced right?

12) Following up from the last ones, if I can have more than one specific replacement, how would you sort these, say I have 2 .pacs for Link, and I place them inside this folder, they both can't be named FitLink.pac and be in the same place, so one has to be named different, then in that case, if I want to restart my Wii and use the second one with a different name, wouldn't I have to take the card out, go to my computer and rename it to FitLink.pac and keep doing this over and over?

13) Does this support model changes in the form of character and stage .pacs?

14) Is this app dangerous? Like is there a possibility of my Wii getting bricked?

15) Will I have to update my menu (I'm using 4.0) to get this to work or rather do I have to do any big run-around before I can use this?

Also, do I have to do something before I can get my Wii to read files from a USB flash drive? Like can I put all my apps and stuff on a flash drive and have my Brawl hack files on an SD card? And if I do need to do something to get it to work like this, what is it and where can I get it?

It would be great to get these answered because I'm afraid to bother with this until I know everything.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Um... ok few questions as I'm really confused: (Note: I'm concerned with Brawl only)

1) Will this allow me to load files in Brawl from an SDHC card?

2) Will this allow me to load files from a USB stick?

3) I have my apps on my SD card, so if I want to use an SDHC card then do I just copy all my files onto that?

4) Regarding the SD card, if Riivolution is saved as an app on that card, can I still use that same one for it to load textures and music and such while playing Brawl? I'm asking this because I read a comment above when someone had a problem loading stuff off their SD card and someone else responded saying you have to pull out your SD card or something.

5) I'm re-organizing all my hacks, so if I use this then I'm not going to bother using the File replacement thing anymore. In that case, do I still need to lay out specific subfolders for specific things like music files and textures for different characters?

6) In regards to that last question, could I make subfolders if I want to make it more organized or does everything have to be read from one specific folder?

7) For the file replacements, what folder would I have to make for SSBB?

8) I see a patch was made for Code based support, so does this mean I can play Brawl+ while replacing all the textures and music I want off an SDHC card?

9) I can only have 1 set of replacements on the card I'm using with Riivolution right? So that means I won't be able to use Almas' Alternate File Loader right?

10) Or is it possible to have more than 1 specific replacement and choose which ones I want applied before I start the game?

11) In which case I'd have to restart my Wii if I want to change which files I want replaced right?

12) Following up from the last ones, if I can have more than one specific replacement, how would you sort these, say I have 2 .pacs for Link, and I place them inside this folder, they both can't be named FitLink.pac and be in the same place, so one has to be named different, then in that case, if I want to restart my Wii and use the second one with a different name, wouldn't I have to take the card out, go to my computer and rename it to FitLink.pac and keep doing this over and over?

13) Does this support model changes in the form of character and stage .pacs?

14) Is this app dangerous? Like is there a possibility of my Wii getting bricked?

15) Will I have to update my menu (I'm using 4.0) to get this to work or rather do I have to do any big run-around before I can use this?

Also, do I have to do something before I can get my Wii to read files from a USB flash drive? Like can I put all my apps and stuff on a flash drive and have my Brawl hack files on an SD card? And if I do need to do something to get it to work like this, what is it and where can I get it?

It would be great to get these answered because I'm afraid to bother with this until I know everything.
Lets see...

1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Yes.
4) Yes, you just can't access Replays or snapshots that are stored on your SD card.
13) Of course, there is no reason it shouldn't.
14) No, not at all. The only thing that could possibly come close to making it dangerous would be the channel version, but that should also be perfectly safe.
15) It installs the IOS you need if you don't have it, so you don't need to upgrade.

That's all I know answers too, sorry :/

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
5) No
6) Yes, if you wanted to.
AerialX said:
SSBBtemplate.xml replaces files in a flat way, without folders (it just does filename matching). Changing the folder line to this will make it work the way you want it to:
<folder external="/ssbb" disc="/" />

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Lets see...

1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Yes.
4) Yes, you just can't access Replays or snapshots that are stored on your SD card.
13) Of course, there is no reason it shouldn't.
14) No, not at all. The only thing that could possibly come close to making it dangerous would be the channel version, but that should also be perfectly safe.
15) It installs the IOS you need if you don't have it, so you don't need to upgrade.

That's all I know answers too, sorry :/
No no, don't apologize you were very helpful, thank you.

I'll just wait for someone else to answer the rest before I go out and buy some SDHC cards to buy this.

And I'll just put this out there since I didn't number it and maybe you missed it, but do you have to install or do anything to your wii before you can get it to read files from a USB flash drive for things like Homebrew channel or the hacked files or codes for Brawl?

5) No
6) Yes, if you wanted to.
Oh, thanks :)

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Something about an IOS that only 4.2 has... I can't remember. IIRC, you don't need to update to 4.2, but you need something which I believe Riivolution auto-installs anyways if you use the install method to put it as a channel.

shadowtroop

Smash Ace
I'm still a bit disappointed at the lack of USB loader support, and I hope it's included in the future. My disc drive just doesn't seem to load games consistently, it takes me about 10 times going to Gecko Os and back (to which each timecontains at least 30 times of pressing Load Game and failing) just to load my Brawl retail disc with Gecko Os, and since you can't reload at the Riivolution screen, I'd have to go back to Homebrew each time.

I at least hope to see some stuff done in other games though. xD
Sorry man. The riivelution guys are singleing out the usb loader guys. You can get a free disc drive repair if you blame it on brawl. Just do a normal update to 4.2, send it, rehack it.

Hozu

Smash Journeyman
I don't really think that they're going against USB loaders if being unable to access SD cards is true. If you're indeed able to access SD cards in some way though then... yeah.

I think there's a hardware mod out there that basically emulates the disc drive for games on an external hard drive, for those that really want to stick w/ their USB loader, although I believe it costs more than a new Brawl disc.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Something about an IOS that only 4.2 has... I can't remember. IIRC, you don't need to update to 4.2, but you need something which I believe Riivolution auto-installs anyways if you use the install method to put it as a channel.
By install method, what do you mean? Are you talking about installing from the Homebrew channel or something because I usually just put the app files right on an SD card

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
You can fix the issue with the SD not being read for Vault data by loading through a USB drive (not USB loader).
I'm pretty sure there is a difference. I thought USB loader used the iso to load and thus didn't use the disc drive then. The USB drive just serves the same function as the SD for loading files with Riivolution. By loading from the USB, you can still use whatever is on your SD for Vault data.

Akuma2120 said:
By install method, what do you mean? Are you talking about installing from the Homebrew channel or something because I usually just put the app files right on an SD card
There's an install function in the app that creates a channel on the Wii Menu.

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
So, what's the planned release date on this thing? Who's working on it? Is there an official site/forum dedicated to Riivolution? I'm all for SFX replacement!

EDIT: *reads below post*

*facepalms & downloads*

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Hey, PW can still do the clone engine, module editor, PSA 2.0, and many other things if he wants. Heck, it might be a relief that a potential FPC 4.0 is now out of the way.

How do you tell Riivolution whether to load patched files from SD or USB?
Good question.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Has anyone tried using this with Dantarion's Alternate Stage Loader code yet?

I'm worried about some redirecting file reading going haywire and my wii bursting into flames.

Wasn't that code meant to work with with the File Replacement Code?

Wouldn't there be some kind of disc or file-writing conflict?

Or am I just being paranoid?

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Oh. :U

EPIC FAIL

lmao well, what can I say. I'm a bit late up here *points to head* :) Anyway, I just installed the channel, and am having a bit of trouble. I used the xml file that incorperates file patch code, but nothing changed in game. the xml is in the same directory as riivolution is on my sd card. Anyone know what the problem is?

EDIT: OMFG I'm waaaaaaay late... wow I feel stupid lol. But anyway, the problem above persists^^

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I'm going to guess try putting the XML on the root. I wouldn't know because I still haven't tried this (I'm probably going to go with the FPC XML and I'm not worried about Vault data for the time being).

AerialX

Smash Cadet
No, it needs to go in the /riivolution folder. Not /apps/riivolution, just /riivolution.

EDIT: And about the SD/USB question, just plug a USB drive in with a /riivolution folder and some XMLs and it'll be used like an SD card. Riivolution will load XMLs from both at once if it can.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
So, the riivolution folder on the root is just for the XMLs?
Wait, does that mean you could still access vault data if all the content was on the SD, but the XMLs were on the USB?

AerialX

Smash Cadet
So, the riivolution folder on the root is just for the XMLs?
Wait, does that mean you could still access vault data if all the content was on the SD, but the XMLs were on the USB?
That's what I said a few pages ago :p

Except until I release a small update you will need to make sure the SD card isn't inserted into the Wii until the option screen.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
<3 this app.
I made an ADX music file for the Winter Olympics and it works :bee:

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
I just tried it out, but for some reason, not all files are being replaced. I noticed that all the character, stage, and song files were replaced, but not CSP's, song titles, or the menu. Is there something in the XML that makes it only replace things in the fighter, stage, and sound folders?

EDIT: I just checked the XML, and it apparently checks everything inside the PF folder. So, why is it that my common5.pac, info.pac, etc. aren't being replaced?

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Do I leave my Brawl files where they are or do I move them into the /ssbb folder? And if I DO move them, do I just treat /ssbb as if it was the PF folder, or do I put PF inside the /ssbb folder?
"For those who already have been using the file replacement codes for Brawl, you can use this XML to seamlessly use your folders that are already set up. Works for both NTSC or PAL. "
You don't need to move anything

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
Ooh, that's neat! Would anyone also happen to know where to put this XML file, and if I have to rename the file from "ssbbfiles"?

ALSO: My 300th post!!!

EDIT: Disreguard the first part of this post. Forgot to scroll up.................... -_-

Matteron

Smash Ace
To save a XML file right click and save link as.
You put the XML in /riivolution, not /app/riivolution
You put all your texture and stuff in /ssbb

Top Bottom