• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley for SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Smash Bros. is a game about characters, not franchise representation. Metroid has just two major reoccuring characters: Samus and Ridley. No need to put in Dark Samus. We need to stop arguing about it, because this isn't the Dark Samus thread....

And Samus is modeled after her Zero Mission appearance. When Sakurai models a character after a certain game, he goes all out on it. Hence Zero Suit Samus, who only appeared for like 10 minutes of gameplay on a mediocre remake of the original Metroid. She shouldn't of been in the game. It takes away from Samus' mystique. And it also turns her into another sex object. Which pisses me off.
No, samus is modeled after metroid prime, which game came 1st? Metroid prime or zero mission? Metroid prime, retro studios added the lights in her chest and shoulder pads, and have been used in every metroid game since...

Sex object? what so adding a blonde in a game is automatically a sex object? rite...

Ok so we add ridley and samus/zamus, that is still too low f a number of character for metroid, which is one of nintendos greatest fanchises, we may get 4 SF characters, 3 FEs, 2+ Fzeros, and all of those arent as popular as metroid, hell sakurai stated he wanted to better represent the metroid series, SAKURAI, the guy MAKING the game, u can expect dark samus, being reocurring character or not, and even maybe a hunter...

and not ALL the characters have to be reocurring, I mean marth, sheik and ganondorf, marth only appeared 2 times in the FE series and by the time melee was released FE6 or 7 (dont remember which one) was about to get released, and sheik and ganondorf never have apepared in a game before OoT, and there they are (ganonDORF 1st apepared in OoT)...

@ Chiyo-chan:

Dark samus never touches the ground when fighting, only when he was defeated...

The shield damages samus and reflects projectiles, kinda like the shine

U cant count dr. mario into this cause he was added as a filler, if sakurai would have had more time to make the game, then he could have added an original character...

There are more moves, if u DID play MP2 u should know this

Cameos are not degrading, making ur enemie use ur look as an alt. costume, then yeah thats degrading...

D

Deleted member

Same debate, new people. T'is the great thing about the Smash Boards. Even the new members are intellectual enough to have debates. We're all mass debating right now. :laugh:

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
I wouldn't be surprised if the Metroid line up was just Samus, ZS Samus and Ridley. The prime series isn't all that hot in Japan, so the main villain of that part of the franchise probably wouldn't be well recieved. And there really aren't that many other characters to pick out from the Metroid series (the hunters could work, and I think Sakurai mentioned an interest in them, but it'd be hard to pick out one above the others).

And lets not forget, Sakurai himself has acknowledged Ridley is Samus' arch nemesis, so I'd find it odd if he wasn't the next Metroid character included.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Well last time I check samus has the prime suit (YES SHE DOES, the lights on her suit were used in mp1), and sakurai stated he wants to better represent the metroid series for its lack of characters in the last 2 games, u think samus, zamus (being a transformation) and ridley would represent enough the series? cmon SF i bound to have 4 characters in brawl, and SF aitn as popular as Metroid...
No, she's definitely still in the Super Metroid suit. It just looks slightly different now (the lights), but the face-window-thing is still the same as the old one, and the shape, being less pointy and impossible, is still the Super Metroid look.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
@Stryks

Look up Samus at a few art websites, such as Deviant Art. Half the pictures are of Zamus posing in suggestive manners. To me, that's a sex object.

She is modeled after Zero Mission, which is modeled after Prime, but with less detail and certain changes. Look at one of the ending pictures from Zero Mission and it'll be the EXACT same as her Brawl form. Then look at a Prime render, and you will notice many differences in detail.

Stryks

Smash Hero
http://www.stageselect.com/images/reviews/GameCube/MetroidPrime/metroid1.jpg

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/images/samus/samus.jpg

Agree with samusrules, its has zero mission and prime properties, but fact is the lights in her armor where 1st used in mp1, which are used as well in zero mission

Gypsy: Last time I check, the guys in deviantart dont work with nintendo, and if they want to draw her in a sexual pose then they can do what they want, but I doubt nintendo wants to do that...

WhiteZER0

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Ridley is all that realistic. Now DON'T start flaming me, yelling at me, and you BLOODY well better not stab me XD But really, Ridley's actual size is like, what, like twice/three times the size of Samus (maybe a bit bigger), which would make him a VERY big character (bigger than Bowser, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm PRETTY sure he was the biggest character in Melee). I mean, sure it would be awesome if he did come in, but this whole Ridley thing started off as a rumor. Don't get me wrong, he COULD be in Brawl, I'm not saying he can't. Heck, they could shrink Ridley down a size or two if they wanted. He just seems like an awkward character to move around because of his build, I guess. Maybe, I dunno. I guess we'll see if he comes or not when the time comes :p

Stryks

Smash Hero
white zero:

Bowser is like 4 times bigger than mario, yet only like twice his zie in melee, size means something, especially for ridley, who has always had multiple sizes in many games...

Ok forget about samus suit, its a cross between prime and zero mission, and yes dark smaus has a shot...

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Man, talk about bringing back old arguments, this was one of the first ones that was argued about when the post started.

And for the record, I believed Ganondorf is the human form of Ganon before he turned to a demon pig (or whatever you call it) OoT may or may not be the first time Ganondorf has appreared in a Zelda game, but he was known about way before that game came out, if I'm not mistaken.

Ridley's size is way bigger than Bowser, more or less depending on what game you model him after. He was biggest in Prime, by far, the size of Kraid almost (if Kraid wasn't so **** fat) in Super Metroid. But, half the Smash characters are scaled anyway to be a size small or large enough to fight each other. Bowser should be bigger than he is (his playable version) as well as Mewtwo, who is supposed to be 6'7" tall. Kirby is supposed to be 6" tall, Pikachu should probably be a little smaller, etc. you get the point. The model of Ridley in the opening movie of Melee would be fine to use, he wasn't too big and was moving quickly enough that he could not be too clumsy to play as.

D

Deleted member

Ya. Size doesn't matter. There is no scale in Smash, every character is either brought to scale or scaled to the size of a toy (fitting in with what storyline Smash has). So all characters, whatever size, can be implemented. Although characters such as Giga Bowser and Master Hand surpass this law, they're bosses. Ridley's also appeared in the 'Melee opening at a perfect size for 'Brawl.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
smash daddy said it before me, but did you see ridley fight samus in the opening of melee? since you asked so nicely i won't flame, but there is no merit to the size argument anymore.

D

Deleted member

Indeed. Although that model was based on the older games and would be inevitably changed to be more realistic with the 'Prime designs Ridley used.

DonkeySmasher

Smash Ace
also bowser was even bigger in sunshine

just to get my facts straight is ridley the boss or a high general in the space pirate organization

i remember that in prime they were assigning him a job and there were mentions of a captain

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
That's kinda what we're all talking about. He'll be like that if he's in, no doubt. The only questions now are will he make it, what will his moves be, and what colors or game model will they use. I've already made up my mind he is in, he has to be, too many clues and indicators. I'm now concerned with what other characters may make it and continuing to show my support for Ridley.

The melee intro version struck me as a generic verion of Ridley that they just whipped up real quick to put into the intro movie, but the model would still work for me anyway.

majora_787

Smash Hero
hm...I wonder what Ridley's arena will be. I have heard more rumors than I can fully comprehend in an hour. one site says artifact site, one says impact crater, one says abandoned space station, one says some room with lava. It really opens the imagination up a little.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Well, we already know he has some music if he makes it, he'll probably share a couple stages with Samus. I hope Sakurai puts in all the old stages from the previous games. That way, we'd have at least 3 stages from Metroid. But, still too many to really be able to pinpoint a good new one for Brawl. Let's wait and see some spots from Corruption, I'm sure a new stage will be from that, which comes out in the end of August.

Edit: or a good stage could be from the first Prime, the big room in the laboratory that you can get the info about the whole solar system, that would be a neat stage. They could have space pirates come out from time to time and attack the smashers.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I hope it'd be the abandoned space station. occasionally, an explosion would come out of the backrouynd, or something would fall from the ceiling. It's the room where you meet Meta Ridley for the first time that'd bve awesome. the drawback? the floor would have water up to your knees. that sucks.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
Why not use his boss battle room from Metroid, Metroid: Zero Mission, and Super Metroid? That seems the most logical. Plus, you can't forget the nostalgia factor.

This is the one I came up with when I made my Ridley moveset:

Ridley's Lair

Ridley's Lair would be a combination of the Ridley Boss Room from Metroid: Zero Mission and the original Metroid. There's one main platform that hovers over a bed of lava. In the background, you can see Chozo architecture such as pillars, statues, etc. The roof of the room is covered with spikes. If a player is hit up into the spikes, they are hit back down and by the spikes (the Bumper on Princess Peach's Castle from the first SSB anyone?) and sent back down into the lava. The lava acts like the water from Termina Bay in Melee. In other words, it doesn't burn you, IT KILLS YOU. You can also die from being hit to the left or right off screen, but the kill zones are far away, making the bottom kill zone the preferred way to KO your opponents.

Two destructible platforms hover to each side of the main platform. If hit, they topple over and fall into the burning lava below, only to rise out of the lava a few minutes later. In between the rise and fall of the platforms, a little beetle creature (I can never remember their names) floats on screen and flies around, making for a movable platform.

Rising steam from the lava is seen (what you see on the road on a hot day). You can hear the occassional blops and plops from the lava, as bubbles of it burst. With the Ridley Boss Battle Theme blasting, and the sound of crackling fire from the lava bed, a dark mood is set for this level.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
Thanks. The main platform is quite large, I'd say about the width of the new Yoshi stage seen in the Brawl trailer. The two destructable platforms on each side of the main platform would make it even larger. The kill zones on each side are pretty big though. Think of it as a Termina Bay with a ceiling that knocks you back down.

DonkeySmasher

Smash Ace
now let's say that each important series gets at least three stages

also they continue the tradition of having brinstar as a stage

what is the last metroid series stage

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
Hmmmm....

That depends on which game is represented. Here are the latest Metroid games for example:

Metroid Prime

Most likely the Chozo Temple above the Impact Crater where you fight Meta Ridley. If not that, then maybe the abandoned space station or Tallon Overworld. There's a gold mine of areas that could be incorporated into levels....

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

I like the idea of a Dark Aether level, like colbusman said before. You'd have to fight inside domes created by light crystals, or else you'd take damage. Other than that, Echoes didn't have very many memorable areas. I only see a level from this game make it in if Dark Samus is a playable character.

Metroid: Zero Mission

I think we'll see a level from this game, which is essentially the original Metroid. I'm thinking the Space Pirate frigate, but I'd absolutely LOVE to see a Mother Brain Boss Battle level. That would kick sooo much a**!!!

Metroid: Fusion

It probably wouldn't be any specific place, however, I think a Fusion level would be a "made up" level that would be inspired by the Space Station. Various elements from it would most likely show up in the design. Maybe it could move from sector to sector, each one representing a different climate. X parasites could be stage hazards that slow you down by trying to infect you.

Metroid Prime: Hunters

This game tanked in Japan, and was based around multiplayer, so I seriously doubt ANYTHING from this game is making it into Brawl.

Stryks

Smash Hero
The chozo temple above the impact crater seems perfect IMO, also there may be MP3 stages perfect for brawl, we just gotta wait and see...

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
considering it actually does come out before brawl (well, at this point and how much we know anyway)

still, i would love a stage based on metroid prime, cause it did revive samus from a long slumber. like i've said before (and gypsy lee pointed it out) i would love a stage where one side is light aether and the other dark, and you can fight on either side. but i would also love something from metroid prime, cause i love that more than echoes

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
I think Norfair is probably the best bet for a Ridley stage. It would function similarly to Ridley's Lair (which was mentioned earlier), but since this would represent the whole of Norfair things could just be carried a whole lot further. I imagine waterfalls of lava-acid bubbling through metal grating, and lots of sliding gears and mysterious techno-stuff to set the mood.
Of course, Norfair also has one of the best theme songs in Metroid. The Norfair theme in full orchesta is just iceing on a sweet, sweet cake.

DonkeySmasher

Smash Ace
wait a second is that song in MP also (sorry didn't get into metroid until prime, mostly since it's not popular here)

however i'm not ignorant to the series and would only accept dark samus if ridley is in there

Stryks

Smash Hero
Yeah its in mp1, cant remember but I think its in the magmor caverns, something like that... anyway I just hope we can get some killer Metroid music, we already got Ridleys theme yet I hope we get orchaestrad (sp?) music as well, that goes for all the stages in general...

WhiteZER0

Smash Apprentice
I think that Dark Aether level idea sounds good. It would add a bit more challenge, because unless you stayed in a certain area to fight, it would just get tougher (though since none of you are idiots here, I'm sure you're common sense already picked that up =P). Maybe the lights could flicker on and off, leaving only a few on at once, or none at all! That would make it good, your percentage count slowly crawling up with every passing second. XD Aahhh, the anguish of it XD

And ya, I guess you guys are right about size, I didn't really think about how they resized everyone (Kirby, Bowser, Pikachu, etc.). I guess size doesn't really matter... but I still say that since Ridley has fairly big wings on his arms, he would be more awkward to use (a downside for him, if you will)?

HellsAngelLust

Smash Apprentice
i just have to question ridley moves set how do yall think he will function and do yall think he will be a bit out of place but i do want to see him go head to head with samus or Zamus, but anyway i think he would either make the game more fun or less either way i'm going to dominate ;p

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
How eggxactly would he be out of place? If you want to see movesets, view the first post, there are some really creative ones. Rildey has plasma breath, fire breath, claws, teeth, wings, and a huge tail. Most see him and think he's just a generic dragon character with claw slashes, but he's really got a great variety of moves.

RIDLEY FOR BRAWL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom