• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley for SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
This is getting ********, we're not getting anywhere in this argument.

Well obviously. My (AND YOURS) pics where you can literally count the pixels to get FACTUAL evidence that proves my point don't mean a thing! /sarcasm

Man, that mad scientist sure knew his stuff.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
What's your point again? lol, I thought you said Ridley was 50% bigger or something.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much. Or at the very least, that was a sub-point that ties into my main point.

If Ridley is playable in Brawl, he should be BIG. And to specify by big, I mean at least 50% bigger than Samus (preferably bigger!) as opposed to ****** Samus-size Ridley. To repeat, I want to play RIDLEY, not play some shrunk-down ****** version that was never in any Metroid game!

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
That proves that this was pointless, earlier I said he should be taller than Ganondorf(which would be about 50% bigger than Samus)

What a waste of 2 pages...

kaid

Smash Master
As I recall, due to the limitations of the NES, the Ridley sprite was exactly the same size as the Bowser sprite in the original SMB. Like the Mario game, this still left him bigger than Samus.

I support a Ridley slightly bulkier than Bowser/DK.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Marshigio said:
Come on buddy, this is the Ridley post. I know you love Geno and that's cool, but this is the Ridley post. He deserves more pages than all those other characters, he's Ridley. I hope they both get in, but dammit Ridley before anyone else in my opinion. Keep the post going, Ridley earned it. That's **** funny, though. I don't think Ridley should necessarily be more bulky than Bowser as much as he should be about the same size but more about speed and precision than just raw, slow strength.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Marshigio said:
That proves that this was pointless, earlier I said he should be taller than Ganondorf(which would be about 50% bigger than Samus)

Hey, if you view it like that (which I personally don't because some other people obviously learned some nice things), it wasn't like I started it. I came in to express that I'd love to play a big Ridley who wasn't shrunk down, and then suddenly everyone jumps on my throat screaming about how I'm rehashing arguments about Ridley being too big for Smash Bros. What the heck, man.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
I never thought you were arguing he shouldn't be in, I thought you wanted him to be big this whole time. Sorry, I'm almost to 200 posts, so I thought I'd shoot a meaningless one out there to get there quicker. Has anyone realized that there's still about 6 months before this game comes out? Maybe we should just put all this on pause until like December then keep talking about it, we're gonna run the whole Brawl section of this site into the ground before we even get any more information about who or what's going to be in it and what it will be like.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
No, I didn't mean it like that :(. It's just after all of that arguing it turned out that me and Tiamat agreed after all. I support Ridley for Brawl, so don't get me wrong.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
[sarcasm]I think we can all agree that we'd LOVE to play a giant ridley who would be fun for 2 matches then never be used again thanks to his useless ness, man take 2 steps and you're off the stag, wow that sounds fun, I mean next we should add kraid the size he is in melee.[/sarcasm]

Ahem just one thing I'd like to clear up, a while back you said they should use metroid ridley not melee ridley, that doesn't really work seeing how if you notice all the other characters were adapted in the smash bros games to make them fit in and look better in the style, some were made more cartoony (samus) others were made more realistic (bowser, compare him to how he looks in games like mario party). So really ridley would be adapted anyway, seeing as he's a bad guy I'd suspect he be of the more "realistic" approach which would in essense mean he wouldn't be stupidly big, Seriously, if you want big ridley you could play in giant melee or with whatever debug mode there will be for the next game.

I think he should be slightly very slightly taller than bowser but much thinner which would make him only slightly taller than samus who is already a tall character. He should be like marths height but a bit taller (Marth always loooks tall to me). So yeah basically I agree with the majority, a giant ridley would get dull fast and would be useless in tourneys (plus he'd be ridiculously susceptible to spam combos like fox's current utilt, try using it on giga bowser).

smashman90

Smash Lord
Why not they just make Ridley around Bowser's height in melee (I don't how big he is going to get in Brawl if he is in Brawl). He could be a little bit bigger or smaller than what we predict he is going to be because we don't know if any of the characters will be bigger, smaller, or the same height in Brawl.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Marshigio said:
No, I didn't mean it like that :(. It's just after all of that arguing it turned out that me and Tiamat agreed after all. I support Ridley for Brawl, so don't get me wrong.
Naw don't worry man, just joking. Aha! my 200th post, another milestone (not really, another joke). I know you want him in, I'm just saying he's my top draft choice to make it into Brawl so I want his thread to be the largest one and make him seem more significant, that's all. I understood what you were saying and you're right, cuz you 2 were agreeing and arguing for like 2 pages for some apparent reason.

And Inferno, Amen brother. That's what I've been trying to explain for like 5 pages now. I said a while back, also that we can talk about this stuff all we want, but in the end we'll be able to accurately predict what the developers will do and all this is just wishful thinking mostly.

Leon-D

Smash Cadet
Well, there's two "fliers" in SSBB confirmed, Pit and Metaknight. And I'm assuming the flight is going to be pretty much like floating with Jiggs or Kirby. A third might be a bit much. Of course, dropping Jiggs would make room for him.

But you already have two characters from Metroid universe, Samus and Zero Samus. But then again there's ALSO the possibility those two are really only one and quick-change ala Zelda/Sheik.

Its a toss up. I think other characters would be picked over it though. Not that he wouldn't be good. He should be up for discussion.

smashman90

Smash Lord
Do you guys think that Nintendo employees listen to our discussions for new characters, levels, etc. so that they could add some of them to Brawl? Oh, do any of you guys want to start an angry mob in case they don't give us Ridley? Besure to bring your own torches and pitchforks.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Inferno_blaze said:
[sarcasm]I think we can all agree that we'd LOVE to play a giant ridley who would be fun for 2 matches then never be used again thanks to his useless ness, man take 2 steps and you're off the stag, wow that sounds fun, I mean next we should add kraid the size he is in melee.[/sarcasm].
[sarcasm]Thank you for actually READING my posts![/sarcasm]

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Do you know what sarcasm is? It's usually used in terms of a joke, which that was, I read all of you posts, I know you don't want him that size and I wasn't just replying to you either. Read between the lines.

I see it this way, 3 characters from 1 series isn't a big deal, metroid zelda and mario are the main series and there are 5 for mario and 3/4 for zelda so he has a high chance especially because he's popular with the fans.

I dearly hope they come on this forum and read what we post, trouble is they'll mostly listen to the official american website members, who, to be honest really aren't al lthat well informed and really aren't as smart (can't have as good discussions) as this forum's members. It's a puty. They're the kind of people that think characters should leave just because they're bad in melee, like bowser for example, just because he's not as good as other characters doesn't mean he should go, it's a new game with new balance, they often don't realise this. Not ALL the members of course, just quite a few. Hmm just realised I passed 400 posts

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I'm in favor of Ridley being bigger than Bowser, but not necessarily taller. Allow me to extrapolate using this carefully crafted piece of artwork:

See, if Ridley walks hunched over (as he did in most Metroid games (most noticeable during the fight with MetaRidley in Metroid Prime)), he'd still technically be taller than Bowser, but he wouldn't seem AS huge because his height would still be on par with Bowser and DK. Only if he got onto his hind legs for some reason would he be that large.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
smashman90 said:
Do you guys think that Nintendo employees listen to our discussions for new characters, levels, etc. so that they could add some of them to Brawl? Oh, do any of you guys want to start an angry mob in case they don't give us Ridley? Besure to bring your own torches and pitchforks.
I think they should be listening, seeing as how this is probably the largest independant fan site for Smash Brothers, so they could get a lot of good ideas by skimming through a lot of these posts (I know I've read a hell of a lot of good ideas for the next game that would be ****ing amazing if they actually did). And if they don't put Ridley in, I will be there beside you in that angry mob with my torch, pitchfork, and a colostemy bag to throw on Sakurai himself when I see him.

And in response to Leon-D's comment, Samus and Zamus are the same character. On the official Smash Brothers site, Sakurai says that Samus will shed her space suit if a certiain condition is met. All Zamus is is Samus without the Space suit. Even still, Metroid should have more than 2 characters if 2 are gonna essentially be the same person.

edit: dammit McFox, that's some good-*** art right there, how much are you selling it for?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I haven't made up the laser cells yet, I'll let you know when I do. The suggested retail price is $99.99, and for an extra $9.99 I'll autograph it for you.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Bowser and Kirby are from different franchises, so it's fine that Kirby's 8 inches are not to scale with Bowser's... whatever height Bowser is at the time.

Ridley however should be to scale with Samus. Because they're arch enemies, and Samus should not have to go up to Ridley and say "Why are you now only as big as me?" because it'd be embarassing for Ridley. He'd have to make up an excuse that he shrunk in the wash or something like that.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
That's funny, a good point. I think you've doubled your posts in this thread alone, almost to 100 already. I see your point, I just don't think having a hulking character as one of the regulars would fit into the game that well. But he can be scaled down and still remain true to the character, he's not just about being big, it goes deeper than that.

But as long as he gets in, I'll be happy with it (and if he doesn't completey suck, of course).

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Tiamat said:
Bowser and Kirby are from different franchises, so it's fine that Kirby's 8 inches are not to scale with Bowser's... whatever height Bowser is at the time.

Ridley however should be to scale with Samus. Because they're arch enemies, and Samus should not have to go up to Ridley and say "Why are you now only as big as me?" because it'd be embarassing for Ridley. He'd have to make up an excuse that he shrunk in the wash or something like that.
But Bowser isn't to scale with Mario. Bowser is routinely Much bigger than that (Especially if we're talking "Normal" mario or "Super" Mario, see also sunshine, Mario 64, New SMB, and Mario 3 and world) and also, neither is Peach (Though thats only because Mario's head is hugantic). True, Bowser IS to scale if we're talking Mario 1 Proportions, but Ridley is also to scale if we talk Metroid 1 (And Smash Bros. Melee) Proportions. Video game badguys change sizes all the time.

falcosmassacre01

Smash Journeyman
ridley would be good and he would not be a bowser clone and also diddy kong for the new smash please he would rock GO DIDDY KONG AND DIXIE KONG

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Bah, finding decent screenshots on the internet of Bowser and Mario together in Super Smash Bros. Melee where both are standing on level ground is hard. Er... I'll be back after I'm able to load up my Gamecube.

And cripes, now that I've been able to see it as a still screenshot as opposed to something zipping by really fast, Ridley's a friggin' BABY in the Melee intro.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Well, compared to the iterations of him in most other Metroids, he's a baby, but I still think that it would be better if he was that size because he'd fit into the gameplay better. He was still significantly bigger than Samus in the intro movie, just not giant sized.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Marthmaster92 said:
I personally think that Ridley should be bigger than bowser. Maybe a little smaller than he was in Metroid Fusion compared to samus. Maybe half that size or so. just my opinion.
How about if it was exactly like I said earlier?

Ridley = hunched over so he's still actually larger, but he doesn't LOOK as humongous.

It could work.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
at that size they'd kinda get in the way andmake him look too big (which was the problem), Ridley's wings are a lot scrawnier than them though so i suppose it's be alright, I recking when standing still his wings should wrao around him then when he attacks the blast open.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Inferno_blaze said:
at that size they'd kinda get in the way andmake him look too big (which was the problem), Ridley's wings are a lot scrawnier than them though so i suppose it's be alright, I recking when standing still his wings should wrao around him then when he attacks the blast open.
Looking too big and actually being too big are two different things. If the wings are like McFox said, then the camp who can't see him as being small would be happy because he looks significantly large without actually being so, and the camp who sees him as scaled down is happy because he is hunched over, making him technically at least the same size as bowser in terms of hitboxes. The wings could probably have no hitbox unless he attacks with them, so that you couldn't hit him in the wings, and they wouldn't detract from him just walking around, but when he attacks it becomes a part of him once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom