• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley for SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
It's midnight in my timezone, so I suppose I'll let you people argue you cases all night, and I'll start it in the morning. Or I could stay up until 3:00 so that I can see tonight's update..... hmm....

the grim lizard

Smash Master
It's not the same. Special moves are meant to be...well special. If you just give him all specials from others, then what's the point of him being there in the first place?
But they aren't specials from others. No other character has a wind-up tail attack. No other characters spews three boulder-like fireballs or plasma (depending on which they go with). No other character does a dash attack like Ridley's Prime attack. There seems to be a move similar to Ridley's ^B in Pit, but that is rather unavoidable.

DK, Bowser, and Link/YL all share similar ^B's. Mario and Luigi had 3 out of 4 same specials. Peach's B, Marth/Roy's vB, Fox/Falco's vB, Zelda's B, and Ness's vB are all essentially the same thing, yet all very different. Characters with wings are bound to have a similar recovery.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
But they aren't specials from others. No other character has a wind-up tail attack. No other characters spews three boulder-like fireballs or plasma (depending on which they go with). No other character does a dash attack like Ridley's Prime attack. There seems to be a move similar to Ridley's ^B in Pit, but that is rather unavoidable.

DK, Bowser, and Link/YL all share similar ^B's. Mario and Luigi had 3 out of 4 same specials. Peach's B, Marth/Roy's vB, Fox/Falco's vB, Zelda's B, and Ness's vB are all essentially the same thing, yet all very different. Characters with wings are bound to have a similar recovery.
Hmm? We must not be looking at the same specials. I don't see a wind up tail in Gypsy's. Or the boulder plasma. (Is that a down B, or just a fireball) That dash attack doesn't seem to unique.

Mario and Luigi are basically clones as far as specials, but of course they changed it up enough to be different. Those counters are all different, except for the clone ones.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Hmm? We must not be looking at the same specials. I don't see a wind up tail in Gypsy's. Or the boulder plasma. (Is that a down B, or just a fireball) That dash attack doesn't seem to unique.

Mario and Luigi are basically clones as far as specials, but of course they changed it up enough to be different. Those counters are all different, except for the clone ones.
You're right, the wind up should be in there and it's not (yet). Boulder plasma balls are just B...they're in the picture but he doesn't really say it that way I guess. Anyway, watch the first Zero mission fight to see this (0:43). Pogo and windup tail are both in the second Super Metroid fight (0:18). And how is the dash attack not unique?? Watch the end of the Prime battle (4:35).

That's my point; they are all different. Just like moves that are "similar" are different. Wing thrust of some sort will inevitably be similar. Fire, dashing, and whatnot will be similar to something but they are different/unique for the reasons stated above.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
It should be like it is in Prime. It shouldn't be like the Fox Illusion, though. It should just be a quick run. How is it like the Illusion?

Pieman0920

Smash Master
The dash attack is just that, a dash attack., unless I'm missing something. Heck, something like that could be his dash attack.

But anyways, I can't stay awake much longer, so I'm going beddy bye. :O

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman

^B) Ridley flies straight upwards, with his wings folded in. At the apex of the dash he rapidly unfurls his wings and screams. Ridley deals minor damage if he hits you while flying up, but characters hit by the unfolding wings at the apex are pushed away. The move works mainly as an escape and recovery move, seeing as a character as large as Ridley will get stuck in a combo sooner or later....

>B) Ridley lunges forward with claws outstretched. If done in the air, he swoops forward and down. Any character caught directly in front of Ridley during this move gets grabbed. A grabbed character can be maimed and thrown in several violent and entertaining ways.
I know this move is basically the same as the Koopa Claw, but Ridley really needs a move like this; he's known for grabbing Samus during boss fights in the Metroid games.

B) I think this move should definitely be a breath weapon. So far, the best move seems to be a chargeable lazer while on the ground, and a barrage of heat-seeking fireballs while in the air.

vB) No idea. But a tail attack seems right.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Yeah, it's late...must get up early tomorrow. >_<

Take care all. I hope tomorrow's update is in our favor. Actually...I've been waiting for a Metroid stage for some time. Anyway, off to bed.

Ridley for Brawl!

Edit: I like OysterMeister's ^B.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Yes grim, that what i meant with "Marth like attack", but remember Ridley has wide wings, so it will surely hit something in the way up.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Hmm. Well, here we go for B moves.

B^, free flight: I kind of like the free flight thing, except I don't think it should be canceled unless you press Up B again (or of course the time goes off). Also, I think it'd be nice if it didn't put him in freefall afterwards, just that there's a limited time you can have it on until you land on the ground and recover- so you could turn it on, fly a bit, turn it off, drop, on and fly a bit, off, and land.

B , Plasma Breath: When you hold down B, Ridley inhales. Letting go of B makes him shoot a ball of plasma. If you breath in for several seconds, he stops breathing/charging and his head starts shaking because it's holding in the raw power! Tapping B makes him give off small blasts that move fairly slowly but have a slightly randomized path, so they spread out. While breathing in a larger ball, you can angle his head with the control stick to alter the flight path a bit.
In the air, or in free flight, it would by default be angled slightly downward, unless you were charging up a stronger blast.

B>, Drill Charge: On the ground, he rushes forward and grabs any (unblocked) enemies in his way. At the end of the throw he tosses them how your control stick indicates. In the air, he folds up his wings around him and shoots forward, spinning like a drill. Angling the stick makes him go in that direction, you can start moving sideways but then curve up or down into enemies or for recovery's sake. Afterwards, he goes into freefall so he can't do anything else until landing. Also, doing this move during up B flight cancels the flight.

B v, Tail Whip: On ground, the whip acts similarly to Sheik's whip, in that you control its direction with the control stick. Unlike Sheik, Ridley has full control of his tail and doesn't need to worry about gravity dropping it. Does more damage with more momentum.
In the air, it similarly will damage foes that touch it, especially with the downward momentum of Ridley falling. If the tail is out and touches the ground/wall, then Ridley bounces off instead of actually landing, so it can be used to quickly turn around when around a wall and, of course, can make him pogo around like a happy school girl.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Ridley whon't be confirmed, unless Skurai makes him an At or as a Metroid Stage background.

Because if he's a PC, then he will be unlockable, thus not confirmed until after Brawl is released.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Exactly?

I do hope you have enough caffeine to sustain you for 131 days.
Or we can all take turns slapping him..

Though I'm not sure.. It would make sense for him to keep all the hidden characters secret until the game comes out.. But I think he might leak a few out not counting Snake if he is hidden. Probably the least requesting and the ones we would be more suprised with.

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land
Or we can all take turns slapping him..

Though I'm not sure.. It would make sense for him to keep all the hidden characters secret until the game comes out.. But I think he might leak a few out not counting Snake if he is hidden. Probably the least requesting and the ones we would be more suprised with.
all the secret charac will be announced after the game's release, i believe.

so, we won't hear about Ridley, DeDeDe or any hidden ones for that matter.

unless...you know...

T_T

Shuma

Smash Hero
And they haven't put the profiles for Metaknight and Snake... i'm just saying.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
all the secret charac will be announced after the game's release, i believe.

so, we won't hear about Ridley, DeDeDe or any hidden ones for that matter.

unless...you know...

T_T
nope, sakurai said he would have all the characters on the webpage by the release, because the day of the release, someone would beat the game and put all the characters on the internet, and he rather we learn the secret characters from him.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
mmm...I dunno, I heard that he was putting the unlockables up after the release. Besides, in order to do that, we're going to have to have a lot of weeks like this one's been so far. Lots of character and stage updates. 40 characters + 25 or so stages + any other AT or whatever updates = at least 200 updates left = about 40 weeks or so. So either A) He's really not going to release everything before, B) He will continue to update us after 12/3, or C) We are going to get a lot of multiple update days in the future.

Caael

Smash Lord
Ridley whon't be confirmed, unless Skurai makes him an At or as a Metroid Stage background.

Because if he's a PC, then he will be unlockable, thus not confirmed until after Brawl is released.
Sakurai said he would confirm all of the hidden characters just before the game comes out, because the internet tells people anyway

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Yeah, but I'm not sure if I want to see any of that until I get my game. I still wanna get the screenshots and everything, but I guess I'd just have to come back after I unlocked everything.

In any case, what do you think will be the first indication that he's starting to reveal hidden/unlockable characters?

edit: On a side note, don't the Nintendo Power strategy guides usually come out before the games?? :confused:

Cenedar

Smash Ace
I personally am gonna stop checking the site when all the veterans have been put up. I already know about a few new characters (Meta-Knight, Pit, Snake, etc.) but I want to be surprised and see what I can find on my own. I figure if Ridley is an unlockable, then unlocking him will have something to do with Samus and a one player mode...

But yeah, that's that. Ridley for Brawl

The Mac04

Smash Journeyman
I personally am gonna stop checking the site when all the veterans have been put up. I already know about a few new characters (Meta-Knight, Pit, Snake, etc.) but I want to be surprised and see what I can find on my own. I figure if Ridley is an unlockable, then unlocking him will have something to do with Samus and a one player mode...

I disagree. There are lots of other things to see on the site. Stages, for instance.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
I disagree. There are lots of other things to see on the site. Stages, for instance.
Oh, I know all about that, but that'll add part of the surprise. Maybe I should modify my plan to, I don't know, stop checking a month before the game's release. But I still want some things to be a surprise.

Ridley for Brawl

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
really i don't care. i'd rather see who's in the game then unlock them instead of figuring it out for myself. i'm an impatient person when it comes to this.

but my guess when they start revealing secret characters...around the time metaknight is confirmed

Hotshot672

Smash Cadet
Hmm. Metroid, earthbound, kirby, Donkey kong, and F- zero needs more characters to represent their series. i say bring ridely in brawl

NukeA6

Smash Master
I personally am gonna stop checking the site when all the veterans have been put up.
Same here. I don't think they will show any new characters besides one or two that will be the ones available from start.

I am guessing Ridley will be unlockable. Melee's new available-from-the start characters were announced the same day that Melee became known throughout the gaming world.

Ridley hasn't been confirmed so he just may end up being unlockable and I will find out at December 3, 2007.

the grim lizard

Smash Master

How will you know if all the veterans are up? He said not everyone is returning. :urg:

I also want to wait to see new characters by unlocking them, but I'd also like to see Sakurai's updates because they're really interesting. I may just end up looking up how to get everyone immediately anyway. :ohwell:

Anyone know about Nintendo Power guides? Don't they usually come out before the game??

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Well even if he doesnt reveal everything on the site i will find out about it here and on you tube anyway... WHILE I BLOODY WAIT FOR IT TO COME OUT HERE!!

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Hehe. I forgot that; I was going to say that, too...that you will probably be able to find out everything here, too.

Personally, I think they should shut down the site a week before the release and reopen it a week or two after with everything revamped for character specifics and everything. That way, they avoid spam, and they care start organizing the characters right away.

EDit: I just realized that the US version of Melee came out on Dec. 3 2001! 0_o
...I wonder if the Japanese one will come out on the same day, too (Nov. 21)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I'm just going to spoil myself. I don't care! I need info! D:<

But...I don't think Sakurai will update with unlockable stuff, or at least unlockable stuff not shown in the trailer (Snake, I'm looking at you) That site can stall for a long time if needed. They updated with two of Fox's specials, and he's a returning fighter. They could do that for everyone else...twice. And all the ATs and Pokeballs will take awhile also. He could also stall with some of those modes, like Giant Brawl or something. >_>

If he was nice, he could give us more clips. Even if it's just stuff we've already seen, I want to see it!

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Interesting tidbit: Melee characters known at e3 2001: Mario, Donkey Kong, Peach, Bowser, Ness, Yoshi, Kirby, Captain Falcon, Fox, Pikachu, Samus, Link, Sheik, and Ice Climber.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Eh? That was a bit random.

But yeah, I remember back then. They didn't show off any locked characters, except in trophy form, where they were not confirmed to be playable or not. I had to learn all my spoilers from sources here, rather than anything official. It took awhile for all the unlockable characters to show up on the Melee site, if I remember correctly.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Sakurai said something like he will update with all the characters because the info will spread all over the Internet anyway or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom