• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reviewing Sheik's Footstool Jump Combo

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I haven't confirmed it yet. I'm not going to be playing 'till tomorrow.

Exia 00

Smash Champion
The smash community is the only community I've seen that names discoveries. I don't have a problem with it but it would be easier to come up with something simple.

Sorry if this has been said already.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
The smash community is the only community I've seen that names discoveries. I don't have a problem with it but it would be easier to come up with something simple.

Sorry if this has been said already.
I just call it the jump combo (Saltus is Latin for jump). Soooo... it is called the Saltus Combo.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Really?

Is it confirmed ? :confused:
At higher damages, the sourspotted bair will knock the opponent off the ground. The f-tilt will also knock the opponent for too high to be footstooled again. The combo is confirmed on some characters.

Leafplayer452

Smash Journeyman
At higher damages, the sourspotted bair will knock the opponent off the ground. The f-tilt will also knock the opponent for too high to be footstooled again. The combo is confirmed on some characters.
Yea it isnt a infinte on some characters....(the chars. I have problems with)

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I don't see how it takes them to death. This combo is nifty, but the payoff really isn't worth the effort, imo.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I have to agree with SinkingHigher on this one. Seems neat, but is it really worth it? Also, has anyone ever pulled this off on a human player? In a match? Just curious.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I've repeatedly mentioned how impractical it is against competent players as you have to sacrifice the safety aspect of the ftilt by connecting it point blank in order to land the footstool.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
And unfortunately no matter how many times you mention this people aren't going to listen.

saviorslegacy

I have to agree with SinkingHigher on this one. Seems neat, but is it really worth it? Also, has anyone ever pulled this off on a human player? In a match? Just curious.
My brother use's R.O.B. some so I got him to do a few matches when the combo was first discovered. I was able to pull it off.
I've repeatedly mentioned how impractical it is against competent players as you have to sacrifice the safety aspect of the ftilt by connecting it point blank in order to land the footstool.
IMO... right now it is impractical, however, in a year or so people might have it down to where they can perform it easily.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Apologies, guys. I wasn't trying to seem particularly ignorant, but I'm certainly not the most active Sheik boards member. And I have a tendency to skim. So, sorry about that. :urg:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
IMO... right now it is impractical, however, in a year or so people might have it down to where they can perform it easily.
I'm going to refrain from calling you an idiot just this once and just assume you misread what I posted. I'm saying that since you are ftilting right in someone's face there is no way any player at a decent level will not punish you for hitting his shield or missing because of a dodge. It is impractical because most of the time people aren't even going to let you get close to that range unless they're shielding. It's impractical because there's no way to cover yourself to get into that range and ftilt safely. I don't care about technical consistency because this combo is easy as **** to perform if you take about 5 minutes to practice it. The problem is that nobody good is going to let you set it up.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Saviors, you really need to start listening. It seems you're just reading the first three words and then replying.

It's not that the combo hasn't taken off yet. It's that the combo has taken off, but it didn't get very far. If you can get it on your brothers ROB that doesn't mean anything, unless your brother is WAR or something (which I HIGHLY doubt.)

This "combo" only works to a point. It's not an issue with the player, the combo ITSELF is limited. In essence, it's just a complicated way of holding A and doing the rapid jabs. Eventually, it's escapable and the amount of damage it does is insignificant.

Heck. Just f-tilt lock and follow it up with a b-air string.

That right there well get you more damage, will get you the damage faster, and will be safer and easier.

Look, I'm glad you're trying to help, I guess, but this isn't helping. If anything, it's detrimental to Sheiks. Stop trying to learn ultimately useless flashy gimmicks and learn how to space and counter opponents. Find me ONE person that consistently places top 5 that uses flashy ATs in their playstyle.

If I were a mod I'd just lock this thread. It's not going anywhere. Oh well.

Edit:

Not to be contradictive, but it seems there is still some exhaustion to be done in the f-tilt > footstool set up. Footstools can be quite deadly, so I'm gonna try to find a way to f-tilt someone thats recovering from offstage and footstool them that way, causing them to fall way below the stage. I don't see a problem with ending it at the footstool, since this would actually be useful. This is not by any means a guaranteed kill, but it could at least be a great way to gimp people or set up a chain guard, both of which could kill.

saviorslegacy

I'm going to refrain from calling you an idiot just this once and just assume you misread what I posted. I'm saying that since you are ftilting right in someone's face there is no way any player at a decent level will not punish you for hitting his shield or missing because of a dodge. It is impractical because most of the time people aren't even going to let you get close to that range unless they're shielding. It's impractical because there's no way to cover yourself to get into that range and ftilt safely. I don't care about technical consistency because this combo is easy as **** to perform if you take about 5 minutes to practice it. The problem is that nobody good is going to let you set it up.
kk... I did miss read your post. I understand what you are saying.
You do realize that a simpe Fair or Bair can start this right?
Saviors, you really need to start listening. It seems you're just reading the first three words and then replying.

It's not that the combo hasn't taken off yet. It's that the combo has taken off, but it didn't get very far. If you can get it on your brothers ROB that doesn't mean anything, unless your brother is WAR or something (which I HIGHLY doubt.)

This "combo" only works to a point. It's not an issue with the player, the combo ITSELF is limited. In essence, it's just a complicated way of holding A and doing the rapid jabs. Eventually, it's escapable and the amount of damage it does is insignificant.

Heck. Just f-tilt lock and follow it up with a b-air string.

That right there well get you more damage, will get you the damage faster, and will be safer and easier.

Look, I'm glad you're trying to help, I guess, but this isn't helping. If anything, it's detrimental to Sheiks. Stop trying to learn ultimately useless flashy gimmicks and learn how to space and counter opponents. Find me ONE person that consistently places top 5 that uses flashy ATs in their playstyle.

If I were a mod I'd just lock this thread. It's not going anywhere. Oh well.

Edit:

Not to be contradictive, but it seems there is still some exhaustion to be done in the f-tilt > footstool set up. Footstools can be quite deadly, so I'm gonna try to find a way to f-tilt someone thats recovering from offstage and footstool them that way, causing them to fall way below the stage. I don't see a problem with ending it at the footstool, since this would actually be useful. This is not by any means a guaranteed kill, but it could at least be a great way to gimp people or set up a chain guard, both of which could kill.
Well sorry if I don't take into consideration of something in the post that I may be over looking.
I have a lot of stuff that needs done so I just read a post quickly. If I reply incorrectly the owell. Look at the above of what happened in between me and Ankoku.

He is not WAR, he is a player which has a mind and thus it was performed on someone so people can't say "lets see you use that in a match".

You're right.. it only works to a point.. and that would be death. So why is that a problem?
It isn't escapable on everyone.
LOL.. I think I need to update that hread.
combo= f-tilt> footstool> FF Bair> SH> FF Nair> f-tilt *repeat*
16% makes it significant.
As for the combo being limited:
THEY'RE ON THEIR BACK WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT!?

Bairs only truely string when decayed or at low percents (when you have better options).

f-tilt lock= work at to high of a percent and when it is finished you are extremely decayed.
You do better if you use d-tilt's at low percents (as well as Bairs/Fairs), Fairs> f-tilt *and vice versa*, throw in a grab if you want (rock paper scizzors) and finish them early cuz you have decay Fair and decay f-tilt. So you have these options:
f-tilt> USmash
when they get near the ledge run off Fair> Fair> Fair

I prefer that play style a WHOLE lot more. It keeps you mobile and sets up for two decay killers (don't even say "DOESN'T WORK ON META!"... that is why we have grab release> DACUS").

I would like to just say this: "Most AT's are used... most AT combo's aren't because people spend a lot of time learning how to escape the combo's in a game where combo's can be escaped."
*just look at the Wario mains

Nice try... I have pretty much tested everything dealing with footstool.
"They can simply jump and recover."
I can't remember if it sets up for Chain but I am thinking not.
On top of that it is really hard to find a recovering opponent under 90% (that is if they are a medium weight and you are decayed). If you do get a f-tilt over the ledge why not just follow up with Nair?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
kk... I did miss read your post. I understand what you are saying.
You do realize that a simpe Fair or Bair can start this right?
Assuming what? They get hit and stand still? There's not enough hitstun for you to literally walk 5 steps right up to them and begin ftilting if they held shield after getting hit by fair or bair. The only way it's started by a "simple fair or bair" is if they started mashing buttons after getting hit.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
If people worked on this a little longer, I think you can make something out of the combos. People thought wavedashing was useless in melee and pivots was useless in Brawl, but now look.

Not saying this is that level of technique, but it takes time, and it's good to know. Not to mention you CAN pull it off on human players in very extreme cases.

saviorslegacy

Assuming what? They get hit and stand still? There's not enough hitstun for you to literally walk 5 steps right up to them and begin ftilting if they held shield after getting hit by fair or bair. The only way it's started by a "simple fair or bair" is if they started mashing buttons after getting hit.
No, I will be assuming that they are at a low percent or I have *DECAY* Fair.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Decay fair at 30%? I mean, I've heard of switching up moves to get rid of decay, which ends up reducing your moveset by one, but focusing on a single attack to get decay...

You know what? I'll leave you to your little plans. Go to a tournament, or a smashfest, whatever. Ohio's got some competent players. Until you've played with actual tournament players, I'm not going to trust a word you say about what works and what doesn't. : P

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Ankoku you've lost a little of your sarcastic edge..........or you went to a few people person sessions or something.

Top Bottom