• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Returning Veteran Approaching: Diddy Kong Joins Smash Wii U & 3DS Cast!

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
What did you expect? The game balance is done by a single person and everything is on his shoulders with the "let's party" philosophy. Sure, this game may be the best Smash for free-for-all 4 players with items on and a blast to play with friends. But that's it.

But don't expect this to be balanced for 1v1 competitions, Nintendo doesn't care about our competitive community; which is really sad.
That's incorrect sir. He may call most of the shots but he isn't designing every aspect of the game. You think namco developers are playing pac man in cubicles while Sakurai is in some all amazing office?

Everone else besides Sakurai working on smash 4:

Sakuria:

Marthmario

Smash Lord
That's incorrect sir. He may call most of the shots but he isn't designing every aspect of the game. You think namco developers are playing pac man in cubicles while Sakurai is in some all amazing office?

Everone else besides Sakurai working on smash 4:

Sakuria:
Sakuria? :troll:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Samus Shinespark in one of the pictures...?

Nah, I guess it's just a B-Air.

Last edited:

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Where you under a rock when the announcements were made? The game balance is not being done just by Sakurai but his team as well and with the aid of Namco. The guy even said that he is aiming for a balance between competitive and casual.
Guess you just ignored all of that for the sake of preserving your self-pity and feeling betrayed and entitled.
No, i just missed some of his updates and didn't follow them as much. I just remembered one time where he said he is responsible for the game balance such as hit-boxes and attack animations while Namco and his team are responsible for the coding, textures and other stuff. But hey, guess I was wrong then and too quick to judge.

Still, it doesn't change the fact that they ignore the competitive community. I still remember one time where he said he feels we play the game not the way it was supposed to be played and would like to make Smash for the Wii U meant to be played as a party game. Or is that outdated too? Has he changed his mind on that aspect? I would love to know.

And you are wrong on that last sentence, I don't feel betrayed or entitled to anything. I appreciate smash as it is, heck, I play it the most casually with friends who have no idea what fighting games are. I guess you are quick to assume things as well if that is all you can make out of my posts.

Justin Bailey

Smash Cadet
He's back again and about time too,
And this time he's in the mood!
He can fly real high with his jetpack on.
With his pistols out, he's one tough Kong!
He'll make you smile when he plays his tune,
But Kremlings beware 'cause he's after you!

Silic0n

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silic0n
It's nice to see that the game looks like it's balanced. I'm excited to see how the competitive side of the game develops when it's out.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
"He's back again and about time too,
And this time he's in the mood!
He can fly real high with his jetpack on.
With his pistols out, he's one tough Kong!"

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Someone pointed out...
The Ring stage in the first Diddy pic is back to its Super Smash Bros. self. But then the picture with Little Mac in it has the appropiate Punch Out logos...

I wonder what this means...?

Annex

Smash Ace
Sure, his reach may be longer but I doubt it'll be disjointed, and I think that's more important.
Bananas suck though.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
Sure, his reach may be longer but I doubt it'll be disjointed, and I think that's more important.
Bananas suck though.
=(

Anyway, for the people whining about how sakurai ignores the smash communities, he just CAN'T balance all the characters for 1 vs 1... That is just inmpossible. There will always be a (dis)advantage to one of the characters.. Besides, people will always find a way to whine about something if they lose... You just gotta find a way with your favourite character to deal with lame characters.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
And now... all my mains are confirmed =] None were at risk, but it's still nice to see them. His increased mister fantastic-ness might look kinda weird though haha. His hands get crazy big 0.o

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
And now... all my mains are confirmed =] None were at risk, but it's still nice to see them. His increased mister fantastic-ness might look kinda weird though haha. His hands get crazy big 0.o
yes, they are a little too big, but so is mario's forward air when you freeze it at the right frame... You won't notice this during gameplay i think.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
yes, they are a little too big, but so is mario's forward air when you freeze it at the right frame... You won't notice this during gameplay i think.
I suppose that's true. Hope they get nice and big for his Dair though. For some reason I wanna capture a picture of my first successful spike and having monster monkey hands would highlight the newness of it all haha.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
=(

Anyway, for the people whining about how sakurai ignores the smash communities, he just CAN'T balance all the characters for 1 vs 1... That is just inmpossible. There will always be a (dis)advantage to one of the characters.. Besides, people will always find a way to whine about something if they lose... You just gotta find a way with your favourite character to deal with lame characters.
Balancing is possible. Difficult yes but very possible. Every character should be viable to play as. Tiers should be non existent when choosing characters. Sakurai can't do it alone. But with Namco it's possible. Plus keep in mind it's on the Wii U and 3DS. That means online updates are possible. Which is a good thing. Usually they don't need them. But it's nice to have there. 1v1 should be exciting to watch. 1 player against another. It shouldn't be a bore fest.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Least exciting reveal since Dedede, zelda was at least interesting cause of that phantom and how pissed she looks also the LinkXPeach pic

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Balancing is possible. Difficult yes but very possible. Every character should be viable to play as. Tiers should be non existent when choosing characters. Sakurai can't do it alone. But with Namco it's possible. Plus keep in mind it's on the Wii U and 3DS. That means online updates are possible. Which is a good thing. Usually they don't need them. But it's nice to have there. 1v1 should be exciting to watch. 1 player against another. It shouldn't be a bore fest.
The difficulty is that when you balance for 1vs.1 you're potentially overlooking balance issues of FFA, which I just have to remind people is what Smash started as, a fun 4 player FFA fighter.

Yes there's options and yes it'd be great if Sakurai and the team prioritized 1vs.1 balance for the sake of our community, but I'm sure they're doing their best to strike an overall balance.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
The difficulty is that when you balance for 1vs.1 you're potentially overlooking balance issues of FFA, which I just have to remind people is what Smash started as, a fun 4 player FFA fighter.

Yes there's options and yes it'd be great if Sakurai and the team prioritized 1vs.1 balance for the sake of our community, but I'm sure they're doing their best to strike an overall balance.
I agree with you. I just believe there should be a balance of all characters when pitted against one another in some way.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I agree with you. I just believe there should be a balance of all characters when pitted against one another in some way.
Same here. I do think it's possible with as large a team as he has at his disposable, so honestly my hopes are fairly high.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
yeah... but i'm just repeating it; you CAN'T balance every character to the same level for 1vs 1 AND ffa... You'll always have a match in where you'll find it that your opponent has an advantage of you. We want characters with different attacks. if, let's say mario is a pretty standard character, and every other character needs to be balanced to his attacks, appearance and movement, we would be having a Samus who can't shoot, a kirby who can't fly... it would be a boring fighter with characters all playing the same.

I like the fact that some characters are actually having advantages against other characters... it keeps me sharp and alert and wanting myself to beat those characters even more... It's what keeps the game interesting.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Still, it doesn't change the fact that they ignore the competitive community. I still remember one time where he said he feels we play the game not the way it was supposed to be played and would like to make Smash for the Wii U meant to be played as a party game. Or is that outdated too? Has he changed his mind on that aspect? I would love to know.
Funny, I remember an interview shortly after E3 where he acknowledged the strong points and flaws of Melee and Brawl both, and said he wanted to find a balance between them that everyone could enjoy. Plus, several of his Miiverse posts have been pretty insightful regarding game mechanics, and not only comes off as him paying much more attention to them this time around, but also as a way for newcomers to learn more about the game's inner workings.

Anyway, it's cool to see Diddy back, although he was pretty much a shoo in. Interesting that he's getting more range on his tilts. Maybe it's a way to give him more spacing ability while retaining the trouble he had getting kills in Brawl. And if they are giving a small buff to a character that has spent his entire time in the Top 5 of Brawl's tier list--and there's no way the dev team doesn't know that--either there's a lot of power creep going on or, more likely, something else about Diddy is getting nerfed. Let us hope it means his bananas won't be as much of a nightmare any more...

Pichu Guru

Smash Apprentice
First Little Mac, then the Koopalings in MK8, now Diddy Kong? HYPE OVERLOAD.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
F*** yeah! Diddy's awesome as s***! Now I'm gonna celebrate by listening to the DKC2 Soundtrack.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Man as awesome as it is that Diddy's back I was really hoping for a new DKC rep.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Man as awesome as it is that Diddy's back I was really hoping for a new DKC rep.
Yes...No offense to Punch-Out!! fans, but I was thinking to myself "F*** Little Mac, where the hell is my Diddy & Dixie tag-team, Cranky Kong, and K. Rool?"

Pichu Guru

Smash Apprentice
Yes...No offense to Punch-Out!! fans, but I was thinking to myself "F*** Little Mac, where the hell is my Diddy & Dixie tag-team, Cranky Kong, and K. Rool?"
Dixie=meh, Cranky would be great, and King K.Rool is the definition of my wishlist. Unfortunate that we still have to wait for them, but I doubted we would get a newcomer straight after Little Mac anyway.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Someone pointed out...
The Ring stage in the first Diddy pic is back to its Super Smash Bros. self. But then the picture with Little Mac in it has the appropiate Punch Out logos...

I wonder what this means...?
Maybe that picture is from an earlier build?
Or perhaps it only switches to Punch Out!!! when Little Mac is in play?

Top Bottom