• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remembering Ken

\±/Gale\±/

Smash Rookie
I've noticed that people don't seem to talk about Ken much anymore ever since he quit. So, I though it would just be nice to have a thread where people can share any fond memories or good tactics he used. He DID pretty much invent the Marth metagame after all. So, yeah, feel free to post anything at all about the topic. This is just a thread to remember Ken and recognize the example he set for us Marth players these days.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I think the best memory I have of Ken was probably the fact that he seemed to never meet his match during his time playing. he had loses but he made changes and avenged all of his defeats until he lost to Mew2King at some point. Still overall he has one of the best(if not the best) records vs his rivals during his reign.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
When I made the switch to Marth I didn't go straight to M2K or the more recent Marths. I actually studied his approach to every MU (specifically Marth Dittos).

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
kens legacy (gameplay-wise) is his platform control because of his reserve

and his di

these are things that match even recent day player abilities

also he was very consistent and had great decision making, as most top players do

alot of the rest are things lost in time that we have evolved upon

MaxThunder

PM Support
i found out about competitive smash by randomly finding a vid of ken on youtube... i was completely mindblown...

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Ken vs Azen was the reason i really got into competitive smash. So yeah

ken's DI was absolutely amazing and he was a very very smart player.

Could've had a three way rivalry between Mango, M2K and Ken if Ken hadn't stopped playing :/

:phone:

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I also got into competitive smash when i saw Ken. I think of him every day practically.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
I think lots of ppl try to take a crap on ken because he may not have been the nicest person or anyones fav, but I will say that he will always have that title that some still refer to him as.

M2K in a way is the same. so like i cant really hate on the ken lovers anymore

\±/Gale\±/

Smash Rookie
My fondest memories were always of Ken vs PC Chris. Particularly in MLG New York 2006. Their fights were always exciting and fast-paced.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
He was pretty damn good. I just wish some people would stop taking a dump on current top players with their Ken worship =(

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'll never forget watching Ken vs. PC Chris when Ken just started countering over and over, and he was literally blowing everyone's mind. I was geeking out uncontrollably the entire set.

King5280

Smash Journeyman
he's good but we all saw what went down with isai out of practice. i just dont like when people say he'd come back and win. he was the best for his time and laid the groundwork for marth but i doubt he picks up a controller very often.

edit: definitely to be remembered though.

Bones0

Smash Legend
he's good but we all saw what went down with isai out of practice. i just dont like when people say he'd come back and win. he was the best for his time and laid the groundwork for marth but i doubt he picks up a controller very often.

edit: definitely to be remembered though.
You have to be ****ing kidding me, bro...

danieljosebatista

Smash Journeyman
You know, if you watch Ken's old videos, it's a weird feeling. I'm amazed at his tactical decision-making, but at the same time I'm astounded at how slow he/the game was played back then. It just goes to show that we develop talents relative to the demand for them. The game was simply slower back then. Take any average Falco player from nowadays back five years and it would take a long time for people to catch up to him.

Marth community, Marth can still do it. There is hope. We should have faith in ourselves and in our character

King5280

Smash Journeyman
poor choice of words. but isai initially he was just trying to remember how to play, then he ****ed around or whatever the **** you wanna call it. even if he had gone all out it would not have been old isai. i meant more along the lines of he was definitely rusty. i didnt mean it how i said it.
and of course ken would still **** me. i meant in contrast to playing the very top level of smashers now.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I can tell you after seeing ALOT of Marth's around the planet(some not from the planet). I'd say it's possible for Ken to as good as most of them. It would take Months to a year at the very least.

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
I think Ken would easily be top level again because he's a smart player. He'd quickly figure out what no longer worked and adapt to the new metagame and use techniques that were effective. It's not like his fingers are slow on the controller or his DI is bad or any of that stuff.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
Gameplay has sped up a lot since Ken was on top. Hes said hea dropped the game almost completely and it would probably take a few months for him to be a top contender again.

And you know, marth johns

Paramedic

Smash Rookie
Watching alot of Ken matches for me has made me appreciate how incredible his reads were with his opponents. I think overall beyond his obvious skill were his subtleties. It sounds simple, but for me, it seems like because he was constantly playing, and on top of the (then) meta-game, that he knew exactly where to position himself ahead of time. Of course metagame has changed but to me his talent is still recognizable.

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
Sucks that I am probably the only person posting in this thread that hasnt seen Ken's performance yet. I need to get on youtube and check this stuff out, because I know Ken is super cool. He pretty much invented Marth metagame and even created the Ken Combo.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Sucks that I am probably the only person posting in this thread that hasnt seen Ken's performance yet. I need to get on youtube and check this stuff out, because I know Ken is super cool. He pretty much invented Marth metagame and even created the Ken Combo.
There's a compilation of MLG tournament footage in the Tournament Video Discussion forum.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
poor choice of words. but isai initially he was just trying to remember how to play, then he ****ed around or whatever the **** you wanna call it. even if he had gone all out it would not have been old isai. i meant more along the lines of he was definitely rusty. i didnt mean it how i said it.
and of course ken would still **** me. i meant in contrast to playing the very top level of smashers now.
Isai didn't have to remember how to play. I played against him in some teams friendlies early in day 1 and he was playing like any normal player. All he was doing was trolling and making the crowd feel like idiotic for getting him to drive back to the venue just to play a single match in a game that he doesn't enjoy playing anymore.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
yeah he was trolling for sure. As far as not comparing anyone who uses Red Marth to Ken....well I've seen about 50 red Marths(no lie)

40 of them range between not good at all to being pretty good but missing the legend factor

6 I think could compare to Ken
4 I think are better than Ken

Ken is still that ***** though.

Inty17

Smash Journeyman
yeah he was trolling for sure. As far as not comparing anyone who uses Red Marth to Ken....well I've seen about 50 red Marths(no lie)

40 of them range between not good at all to being pretty good but missing the legend factor

6 I think could compare to Ken
4 I think are better than Ken

Ken is still that ***** though.
I mean, obviously the guy's not as good anymore. But I still don't do it. :p

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I understand. It's the same way with Black Marth's and M2K I guess. Honestly I've seen so many Black/Red Marth players that it makes me want to never use that color...ever.

Top Bottom