• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Religion: what is it good for? Absolutely nothing! Huah!

arrowhead

Smash Ace
he sees you as a child because parts of your posts don't make any sense.

well first of all, evolution is a fact. darwin didn't consider it as one because he didn't have as much information as we do now. species change over time. that's a fact. natural selection is the theory that attempts to explain the fact. but i'll assume when you said evolution, you mean natural selection. the reason so many people believe in it is because 1. we have evidence for it and 2. it fits our current theories about how the universe works. god does not.

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
They make sense. I just don't have a phd, the reason why no one ever listens. To me school is an advocate of immaturity and denier of common sense.

I don't believe in evolution but I DO believe in adaptation. There was no proof that an animal transcended from one species to the other.

I can't tell you what God's main focus is, I haven't read the whole bible, but it seems to be moral based than science. Like I said before, I believe God created science and left a wide open space for us to explore. What I like about God's words in the bible is that he actually explains things to you (ranging from life's problems and beyond) rather than just saying, "because I said so." Or even better, "There are mountain piles of evidence you fool."

There is a similarity between you all and that last sentence. I haven't seen anyone explain anything. All I have seen in this thread is words speaking of books and evidence as if they are gospel.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
TWhat I like about God's words in the bible is that he actually explains things to you (ranging from life's problems and beyond) rather than just saying, "because I said so."
Then just ask and I'll play god and explain anything sciency that you want.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
They make sense. I just don't have a phd, the reason why no one ever listens. To me school is an advocate of immaturity and denier of common sense.

I don't believe in evolution but I DO believe in adaptation. There was no proof that an animal transcended from one species to the other.

I can't tell you what God's main focus is, I haven't read the whole bible, but it seems to be moral based than science. Like I said before, I believe God created science and left a wide open space for us to explore. What I like about God's words in the bible is that he actually explains things to you (ranging from life's problems and beyond) rather than just saying, "because I said so." Or even better, "There are mountain piles of evidence you fool."

There is a similarity between you all and that last sentence. I haven't seen anyone explain anything. All I have seen in this thread is words speaking of books and evidence as if they are gospel.
i guess fossil evidence and bacterial tests don't count huh?

lots of books "explain" things to you. go worship those too.

better than explaining things wrong : /

they've done a very good job on you.

Aesir

Smash Master
Close enough, I will be turning twenty soon. :)

I have seen the time line and it doesn't convince me. Isn't there a time where we question things before we believe in them? I have questioned Christianity before.
I don't think you have, because if you really have seen and if it was explained to you, theres no reason you wouldn't be convinced

Any logically thinking person would agree with it, my sister is a god **** Christian and she agrees with it.

I have been introduced to Evolution, Geology, and I have taken the liberty to go beyond my studies and look further into it on my own time. What surprises me is that people will believe theory's like Evolution without giving it a second thought (I'm not saying that YOU are though).
Because when you look at the data, not only is it backed by mounds of evidence, we can see the process taking place today and get this. It makes sense!

Go fig

I mean what is the point of believing something just because a larger community agrees? If you look at the Evolution you will note that Darwin never admits it to be fact.
So? during Darwin's time that would have made sense, as the theory progressed and we learned more about organisms did we discover that evolution is fact.

The theory explains the fact.

Finches beaks adapted, how come? the theory of evolution describes this.

edit: Where do you get off saying no ones explained anything? I've explained **** through this whole discussion. I've explained how evolution is both theory and fact and it constantly gets over looked.

Do you just ignore it or something? seriously.

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
What is it good for? Absolutely Nothing (breaks down into song and goes on for about 3 min)
Yea my family is catholic but i dont consider myself one. I now though that when i have children that i will raise them with catholicism because thats how i was raised and i pretty much know the religion front and back. Plus i think it has alot of good moral values and virtues that society follows (or at least tries to).

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
In the UK today there was an article about this married couple who applied to become foster parents but weren't allowed because they said that they are against homosexuality. Both of these people are strict christians and were told that if a child they were fostering came back from school and told them he'd been picked on for being gay then they should say that being gay is an acceptable lifestyle, and because that went against her beliefs as a christian she said she wouldn't and the fostering agency couldn't process there application.

the woman said she "didn't believe in homosexuality." Is she blind? It's not like believing in the tooth fairy, it exists.

Stephen Green, director of the christian voice said (direct quote) "The fostering service is in danger of losing an experienced christian couple all of the sake of worshipping at the altar of diversity."

This is the main reason why I am against religion

Religion creates blindness, people prefer to read from a 2000 year old book instead of seeing the world around them. These people are probably good people, yet there views are so narrow that if they were to adopt a child who had been picked on because he was gay they wouldn't bat an eyelid, or even worse agree with the abusers.

Gay prejudice is just as pointless and as stupid as racial prejudice because it's insulting someone who cannot change. Yet unlike racial hate, the bible seemingly condones gay prejudice, and labels same sex relations a "sin" (of course in the same speech leviticus pronounces eating shellfish a sin, so what does that say?)

If people truly opened there eyes, the world would be a more understanding place.

espio87

Smash Ace
In the UK today there was an article about this married couple who applied to become foster parents but weren't allowed because they said that they are against homosexuality. Both of these people are strict christians and were told that if a child they were fostering came back from school and told them he'd been picked on for being gay then they should say that being gay is an acceptable lifestyle, and because that went against her beliefs as a christian she said she wouldn't and the fostering agency couldn't process there application.

the woman said she "didn't believe in homosexuality." Is she blind? It's not like believing in the tooth fairy, it exists.

Stephen Green, director of the christian voice said (direct quote) "The fostering service is in danger of losing an experienced christian couple all of the sake of worshipping at the altar of diversity."

This is the main reason why I am against religion

Religion creates blindness, people prefer to read from a 2000 year old book instead of seeing the world around them. These people are probably good people, yet there views are so narrow that if they were to adopt a child who had been picked on because he was gay they wouldn't bat an eyelid, or even worse agree with the abusers.

Gay prejudice is just as pointless and as stupid as racial prejudice because it's insulting someone who cannot change. Yet unlike racial hate, the bible seemingly condones gay prejudice, and labels same sex relations a "sin" (of course in the same speech leviticus pronounces eating shellfish a sin, so what does that say?)

If people truly opened there eyes, the world would be a more understanding place.
And that's why evolution only applies to the rest of the animals.:chuckle:
If the society is really trying to adapt to the changes that occur, then the Bible would no longer be read. Things such as racial and sexual discrimination still exist mainly because of religion (except Budhism, man that's the best religion I've ever seen).

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
You guys are being very narrow minded, I am a very strong christian and even before i was i always knew that life isn't putting bread in a toaster and toast pops out.
The human body (Just to pick one aspect) is way to complex for any one of you to tell me christianity is a sham. It isn't. The world around us too complex to have been created by a bang.
Even in science we are told "Energy can never be created, only changed" So where the hell did the energy from the big bang come from? the sky? there was no sky then.
God. maybe? Yes

espio87

Smash Ace
You guys are being very narrow minded, I am a very strong christian and even before i was i always knew that life isn't putting bread in a toaster and toast pops out.
The human body (Just to pick one aspect) is way to complex for any one of you to tell me christianity is a sham. It isn't. The world around us too complex to have been created by a bang.
Even in science we are told "Energy can never be created, only changed" So where the hell did the energy from the big bang come from? the sky? there was no sky then.
God. maybe? Yes
What happens when you give a balloon too much air? It explodes. That is what happened in the Big Bang. All the matter in the previous universe condensed in one single spot in a phenomenon known as the Big Crunch. When the spot reached it's limit it simply exploded.
Now your next question will be: then what was before the Big Bang? Another universe. It's higly possible that its an endless cycle of Big Bangs and Big Crunches. Neverending, creating and destroying universes. This is something our primitive minds can't conceive, because we always must seek the beggining of everything. Luckily, we were able to understand the Numbers, and that's how I can understand that this Cycle is infinite. Numbers don't have a beggining nor an end, and I apply the same to the Cycle and thus I am able to understand it.

otter

Smash Ace

this is a bunch of **** dude. I'm not religious and I am cool with homosexuals, but it's really unfair to deny them a child because of this. It's hard to fight for a seperation of church and state when BOTH sides are taking it too far. It's embarrasing.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
this is a bunch of **** dude. I'm not religious and I am cool with homosexuals, but it's really unfair to deny them a child because of this. It's hard to fight for a seperation of church and state when BOTH sides are taking it too far. It's embarrasing.
They have 4 children of there own

I was more shocked at her closed attitude to the subject, the child in question doesn't even exist, It's an imaginary problem.

But her homophobic attitude (bought about by her strong christian faith) meant that she could not be allowed to foster a child in the off chance that said child might be homosexual and thus be mentally/emotionally damaged in her care.

You wouldn't send a black child to live with klu klux klan members, this is the same, albiet on a smaller scale.

Davy Jones

Smash Ace
You're opening up a can of worms with this thread PukeT.

You have to realize very quickly that not everybody thinks like you; not everybody has the same type of mind as you. And you will never be able to change that. Someone who would like to believe that there's something else after all this (an afterlife, in other words) is not weak-minded for doing so.

The sooner you understand this, the less cynical and jaded you will be and the less you will hate people and humanity in general.
Umm... You mean NOONE thinks like him.

Aesir

Smash Master
God. maybe? Yes
This is exactly whats wrong with people.

Everyone wants instant gratification if they can't answer it them selfs they say god did it. Rather then say, I just don't know but that doesn't mean there isn't an answer.

a few thousand years ago, the Greeks originally thought the sun was carried by a man in a chariot.

Now we know it's because of a gravitational pull that our planet revolves around the sun.

Honestly buddy you need to get educated in science like before you post again.

And that's why evolution only applies to the rest of the animals.
I'm gonna assume you're being funny here lol.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I saw a book today called "Stairway to Hell" [not to be confused with the song stairwell to heaven or highway to hell] written by Rick Jones or something like that. It was total and complete nonsense written by a Christian trying to fill people with fear and paranoia as well as trying to advertise Christianity. I've never been so disgusted in my life. According to the book, rock, suicidal thoughts, drugs/alcohol, sex and some other ridiculous all lead to hell.

I can understand that bad people are associated with those things but to say that people will go to hell JUST because they heard a rock song? That's garbage. I've thought of suicide before and I never attempted it but according to this know it all Christian I'm going to go to hell.

I'm sorry but I've lived long enough to think deeply and seriously into things and Christianity is just not for me, I've had enough of people telling me how to live my one and only life a certain way so I can 'live eternally' in heaven that has yet to be proven and ever since I heard a Christian tell a 5 year old girl she'd go to hell if she doesn't believe in God I just saw no reason to believe in such a hypocritical mess.

Tryptomine

Smash Journeyman
God. maybe? Yes
Excuse me one moment...

HahahAHAHAHA...

Okay, I think I'm good now.

Do not misunderstand me, I do not intend to infer that Christians cannot be open minded, but I found this person's statments hilarious. Specificaly the unbeleivably ignorant claim that the universe must have been created, therefore Christiany of all things MUST be true.

CivicSmash

Smash Apprentice
yeah you guys are being very ignorant. These scientists with their theories and their facts. haha. They are so full of it. It wasn't this long, protracted, evolutionary process it was a talking snake in a tree. And a rib. Everyone knows that c'mon guys.

CivicSmash

Smash Apprentice
Yeah you guys are being very ignorant. These scientists with their theories and their facts. HAHAHA!!! They are so full of it. It wasn't this long, protracted, evolutionary process it was a talking snake in a tree. And a rib. Everyone knows that c'mon guys.

CivicSmash

Smash Apprentice
Yeah you guys are being very ignorant. These scientists with their theories and their facts. HAHAHA!!! They are so full of it. It wasn't this long, protracted, evolutionary process it was a talking snake in a tree. And a rib. Everyone knows that c'mon guys.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Attention Ladies and Gentlemen. Please do NOT feed the troll. If everyone takes this simple piece of advice we can watch it starve and leave. But do NOT feed it.

otter

Smash Ace
They have 4 children of there own

I was more shocked at her closed attitude to the subject, the child in question doesn't even exist, It's an imaginary problem.

But her homophobic attitude (bought about by her strong christian faith) meant that she could not be allowed to foster a child in the off chance that said child might be homosexual and thus be mentally/emotionally damaged in her care.

You wouldn't send a black child to live with klu klux klan members, this is the same, albiet on a smaller scale.
I'm pretty sure 95% of homosexuals were raised in that exact situation :laugh:

I just have too much faith in people. I'm sure they intended on "saving" the child. *shiver*

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
Oh what the hell? I would keep up with all the posts if the topic didn't gain 2 friggin pages. I don't want to go back because the Boards will always freeze on me....

I don't think the UK made the right choice to deny two parents children. The bad thing about homosexuality is that they are making a "Gay Rights" movement so that it is similar to the Black Rights movement (stated by Ron Paul). Gays are trying to make it seem as though they are a race, and that they were killed and enslaved by mass numbers like black people. Thats a total sham.

You guys should read this article of former lesbian, I believe you will find it interesting: http://www.everystudent.com/wires/christine.html

I don't think you have, because if you really have seen and if it was explained to you, theres no reason you wouldn't be convinced

Any logically thinking person would agree with it, my sister is a god **** Christian and she agrees with it.

Oh don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things that make sense. I'm just saying I believe in Adaptation, not Evolution.

Because when you look at the data, not only is it backed by mounds of evidence, we can see the process taking place today and get this. It makes sense!

Go fig

The reason I don't believe it because no one ever saw it. They only point out the similarities between the species, and that it is possible that a species could have transcended.

Do you just ignore it or something? seriously.

Well honestly, I didn't start to read this topic again until I have made my opening post a few days ago. You have probably stated reasons before but I don't feel like reading 50+ pages...

Homosexuality is a choice. Go read the entry in the link I provided.

Do not misunderstand me, I do not intend to infer that Christians cannot be open minded, but I found this person's statments hilarious. Specificaly the unbeleivably ignorant claim that the universe must have been created, therefore Christiany of all things MUST be true.
This is what I don't like. Christians ruining their own reputation and your post is proof. Now there are a lot of people who believe we are the same generic people with mindless thoughts.

Aesir

Smash Master

Oh don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things that make sense. I'm just saying I believe in Adaptation, not Evolution.
They're the same thing...>_>

Go fig

The reason I don't believe it because no one ever saw it. They only point out the similarities between the species, and that it is possible that a species could have transcended.
No it isn't you're just grasping at straws now, furthermore we do see it, fruit flies..>_> you can also study finches and find the same results.

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
Survival of the Fittest is a pretty funny idea, albeit true in many ways.

This is what baffles me about Atheism: There is a supposed moral code in their philosophy. Because they claim to have their own moral code they are against larger nations committing genocide to smaller nations. But wouldn't that ignore the idea of Survival of the Fittest?

arrowhead

Smash Ace
wtf? is spreading lies just your thing or something? you're not gay so you can't say things like this. believe me, if you ask any gay person weather they chose to be gay, they will say no.

and i'll just assume you won't believe that. logic usually bounces off you. so i'll ask you this: even if it is a choice, so what? you you think it's right to discriminate against people who like cheese pizza over pepperoni, or people who want to become actors instead of teachers? what is wrong with people that have a preference that is different from yours?

Aesir

Smash Master
^ No because survival of the fittest is a load of bull****

Survival of the fit is more accurate, humans are fit for the environment today, organisms you see today are the most fit the environment today.

So if another country commits mass genocide against another it isn't survival of the fittest or fit, as it's an act of willing violence against another, and not a process of natural selection.

The only difference say between a 3rd world country and 1st world country is the 1st world country is more developed as a country, it's inhabitants are the same on a biological level.

CivicSmash

Smash Apprentice
Homosexuality is a choice? Wow, you are sick and diluted. Im really not trying to be rude, but this is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard in my life. People like you KingJiggyWiggy are pathetic. Why would someone choose to be a minority and choose to get harassed by people like you? Yeah gay people really like the idea of introducing the idea of getting the s*** kicked out of them by a bunch of f****** ******* for no good reason. Thats a fun choice people are making. People can't choose the way they are, or their sexual orientation. Besides, if you werent gay and liked girls, why would you choose do go the other way? Its people like you that make me want to move out of this country. Europe here I come!

Survival of the fittest has nothing to do with genocide and war. Thats completely irrelevant. Survival of the fittest has to do with reproduction and why a living organisms genes get passed on over anothers. Man to man violence has NOTHING to do with natural selection and survival of the fittest. Even if they were fueding over a female it wouldnt qualify. If animals were fueding over a female it would qualify of survival of the fittest. Mankind has developed language. Our language is our ultimate tool. Not just in communication but in courting the opposite sex as well, we dont purely rely on looks. We take into consideration personality along with looks.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
I've been keeping vague tabs on this topic, but I must say something. Don't talk about homosexuality, it's COMPLETELY off topic, it's a very touchy subject for a lot of people. Especially for the people who know homosexuals or are one, and it could very well get this topic closed.

Awww, who am I kidding, the mods don't care, go ahead, talk about it, but it'll only lead to more trouble.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
I read that whole article and i laughed and laughed and laughed

I particularly found this bit funny

The man on the show, Sy Rogers, seemed to understand the struggles I was dealing with. He was a former homosexual and was now the president of Exodus International, an organization that helps people who want to break free from the gay lifestyle.

A "former" homosexual?! Is this for real?!

Blindness, It's all blindness. You think that Homosexuality is a choice, the only way YOU would know that it was a choice was if it was something you had chosen then given up. And if these two people are gay and had consenual gay relationships Then there now completely straight lifestyles are a complete lie.

Religion is the ultimate in emotional blackmail. Conform, do what we say, live how we tell you to or burn in hell for all eternity. If you control peoples soul then you control them.

With God's help and the support of caring people, I now walk in freedom from lesbianism. Homosexuality doesn't cast a shadow on my life any more.

What propoganda. Instead of her being a lesbian christian, shes now a straight christian. Didn't that work out well for everyone? (obvious sarcasm)

Oh and the reason why people campaign for gay rights is exactly the same reason why black people campaigned for rights. Because people discriminate against them and prejudice against them simply because they're "different" and by gaining rights homosexuality will be deemed more acceptable and less of a taboo.

And while I'm on the subject, I don't think gay people should be allowed "Marriage". I think that gay people should be allowed to join legally as a couple to recieve the same benefits couples recieves (tax benifits, inheritance laws) but marriage is a religous thing and it should probably stay that way.

Blindness. Religion creates blindness.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
This is what baffles me about Atheism: There is a supposed moral code in their philosophy. Because they claim to have their own moral code they are against larger nations committing genocide to smaller nations. But wouldn't that ignore the idea of Survival of the Fittest?
when you're an atheist, you live by what you see fit. there is no 'code' of living for us.

Top Bottom