• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regional Power Rankings Outrage! -- A viewpoint/stand taken by Karthik

djkarthik

BRoomer
BRoomer
3DS FC
0962-9800-7488
========================================
Omni Edit: A possible solution is in the works. Check the SBR for details.
========================================

Regional Power Rankings Outrage!
A viewpoint/stand taken by Karthik
featuring quotes from Omnigamer

"Sorry, but there are to be no state/regional power ranking threads. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation." - Omnigamer, after shutting down the regional power rankings.
All of us saw that just now. On NorCal's rankings thread. On SoCal's rankings thread. And possibly on other regional Power Ranking threads as well. The threads were closed. Outrage? Yes, I think so. I had posted how I feel that the Power Rankings are rather significant to have at a National aspect as well as a Regional aspect. It gives a sense of competition amongst the community. Is that wrong? No, after all, we are a professional community.

We aren't playing Candyland, mods. We are a professional community. This is seriously an outrage.

Omnigamer: "There's a big long logic argument that I could give against it, but I just did that a few mins ago to another user, so I'll give a summary version of it: essentially, a regional/state rankings thread only encourages sentiments against players of a local community. Simply because of the type of discussion that it implies."

djkarthik: How are they different from National rankings? Wouldn't that cause disturbances between regions if that were the case? I don't see the major controversy regarding this.

Omnigamer: On the national scale, the players that would be arguing such things are across the country from each other. So any sentiments that develop aren't nearly as personal as they would be with someone you play fairly regularly. Believe me when I say that I'd like to have the national thread shut down at this point as well, but that's not a practical possibility.

What is this? Limiting freedom of expression? I could get into Censorship issues here, but I won't do that. Do we consider or want to consider the Super Smash Bros. Melee community to be a professional community? If so, I don't see why there shouldn't be National, Regional and statewide rankings. All professional sports have them, why not Smash?

Omnigamer: "With the nature of the forum environment of smashboards, such threads are always prone to flame fests. Which has happened with a number of threads in the past."

To what degree to we measure "flame fests"? The Power Rankings are just the collective opinions from a group of individuals. What? Opinions. What's wrong with opinions? If a certain thread becomes filled with flame posts resulting into a simple spam thread, then just close that one specifically. Why close all related threads?

Omnigamer: "Look at this in a manner of being collectively fair. Even if such a thread is run correctly, there's always the opportunity for unruly users to disrupt and nearly completely cut off the original purpose of the thread. Is it the fault of the original creator that this happened? Of course not. But in that light, there are other threads run much the same way that don't happen to have such a problem, how is it fair to that particular user?"

Just think about what you said. If that person's thread was becoming a flame war, then they should have used that "warn" button next to the unruly users' posts. It IS their fault that that thread was locked in the first place, so what's not fair about that?

Omnigamer considers the Smash Rankings to "Hurt the structure of the local community," and considers them to be different from the National Rankings due to the fact, that "...it's also not as susceptible to developing negative sentiments because of the geographical distance and impersonality of the arguers." I find this to be quite a blow to the community's professional aspect.

SideFX is creating a new forum for our Power Rankings now. Don't get me wrong Omnigamer and other mods; I respect you dearly, seriously. However, I strongly disagree with your policy on Regional Power Rankings, and don't like what you have done.

Thank you. Is this going to get locked as well? Perhaps.

Sincerely,
Disgruntled Panelist

<3

sidefx

Smash Champion
All Regional Power Rankings Panelists:

I bid you to all come together and post your updates for your Regional Power Rankings in my "West Coast Smash Forums"." [http://www.infinityfx.net/teamwc]. If Smashboards won't allow us to express the much-wanted Power Rankings, then we shall post the rankings on the West Coast Forums and hold our discussions regarding the rankings there.

These power rankings are in place to motivate people, who think they are worthy of top 25 to accually BE on the top 25. personally i didnt think i was getting on the top 25. but now that i see i am on it. im going to be practicing alot harder than i was before. theres accually something to strive for.. something to look forward too after all that hard work. It gives playing on a competative level another meaning, to be better than the compitition. Isnt that what tournies are all about?

ive never placed in the money, and alot of others havent either.. i never really got any motivation to play my hardest because honestly i know im not getting in the money, so why try as hard? Yeah i play to have fun, its accually really fun.. or else i wouldnt be going every saturday.. and playing almost every night till sunrise, but only wanting to place higher than your previous place soley for my own personal goals really isnt enough for me.. it may be the same to others as well.. but seriously with these rankings.. it gives EVERYONE a reason to play better, to practice more, to take the game and matches more seriously than ever before. theres something to look forward too

some people like totally disagree with this because it creates too much conflict. Others dont agree with it because its biased. Also others dont agree with it, due to lack of tourny play, and availability.

To the people who say it creates too much conflict, i say thats what a competative game is about. all in all, we dont go to biweeklies to ONLY have fun.. we go there to have fun, and be competative at the same time. if there was no competative aspect of this game.. it wouldnt be NEARLY as popular as it is now.

And to the biased stand point of the rankings.. yes.. of course there will be some people who are biased in the rankings.. the only thing you can really do about that.. is to place higher in tournies, play better, smarter, and more vigilant that ever before.. i understand that some people live way to far to be included in the NCB's ( Sac, Modesto, Stockton) but its not only the NCB's that are taken into consideration. its and all around preformance evaluation. play better, you place higher. its as simple as that.

All in all.. i thinkt he rankings will give some sort of incentive to accually play this game for what makes it one of the best games there is out there. Competativness. without that.. this game would fail.. hardcore, and these regional rankings is exactly what is needed to spark the interest of players who only play on a casual level.

Again if you didnt see it above.. my old Team WC forum is now being used for the Socal and Norcal power rankings. please direct your top 20/25 posts there and REGISTER =D

West Coast Power Ranking Forums

*Joins the Karthik bandwagon*

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I had a long discussion with Omnigamer. Basically, what it comes down to is that the Moderators of Smashboards were sympathetic to the National Power Rankings, since there was a revolt against them late last year. Thus, the national rankings were given a repreive due to the sheer volume of protests. Any arguments in favour of closing local ranking projects are in vain when they willingly assert their authority over here, but not the likes of other Ranking Projects, which in fact were created by a Moderator.

Equality? I think not.

If Omnigamer thinks that Power Rankings cause negative sentiment, he's forgetting what elements actually create a Smash community.

SuperRad

Smash Master
I agree 100%. It seems ridiculous to limit the Regional Power Rankings. They can help strengthen the level of competition between players in a region. I like to think of it like the polls for college football. It gives a distinction of whos got the skills and who doesnt. Personally if someone came right up to my face and said that someone was better then me at Smash, I could care less. Its not something to get angry about. And I think the posters here and the members of the community are mature enough to handle being told that they arent thought of as highly as others.

Oh, and

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
I had a long discussion with Omnigamer. Basically, what it comes down to is that the Moderators of Smashboards were sympathetic to the National Power Rankings, since there was a revolt against them late last year. Thus, the national rankings were given a repreive due to the sheer volume of protests. Any arguments in favour of closing local ranking projects are in vain when they willing assert their authority over here, but not the likes of other Ranking Projects, which in fact were created by a Moderator.

Equality? I think not.

If Omnigamer thinks that Power Rankings cause negative sentiment, he's forgetting what elements actually create a Smash community.

Ok, I could see if there was controversy in the threads (i.e. flaming), but neither the NorCal nor the SoCal rankings had any hot tempered/angry people. I feel they should be given a chance, and not just closed because there's a likelihood that people will get angry. Also I believe in what Caotic was saying with equality too, I doubt anyone is going to go out and attack somone nearby for talking sh*t, there's much more provocation in other threads.

*Joins the Karthik bandwagon* XD

Art?

Smash Journeyman
as several people have clearly stated, the rankings give incentive for people step up 101%. if someone disagrees with the ranks, then the only practical way to handle it is to earn your recognition through tournament play and perhaps even friendlies. we aren't barbarians, we are a competitive, but civilized community. just 'cause another region messed up doesn't mean the whole smash community should be punished. ranking threads aren't the only topics that can cause dissension. a simple "who is better fox or falco" topic can cause just as much tension amongst smashers as rankings. someone could easily call another person stupid for thinking a certain way and could turn real personal. you might as well close down all threads that deal with opinions. sign me up for the karthik hippie movement; show me where the picket signs are at.

*joins the karthik bandwagon*

djkarthik

BRoomer
BRoomer
3DS FC
0962-9800-7488
I just got an update from Kokichi, that this matter is being discussed among the moderators at the Staffer Shack, so I suppose we'll be hearing more about this soon. Keep tuned, guys. Thanks for the support.

*Joins the Karthik bandwagon too*

Oh wait, it's already mine!

<3

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Yeah, I don't have too much to say that Karthik and Boback haven't already stated. The power rankings really just motivate like 99% of people, the others that are offended think it's biased and end up going on the same as before. There's no reason that these should be closed because a few people (who can be negative repped and warned) can't handle the thought that there are people better than them and can't understand that they should simply try to do better.

I'm personally outraged that Oregon wasn't in consideration for the NorCal rankings, but that just makes me want to try harder and get Oregon placed on the map.

*Joins Karthik's Bandwagon*

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
It's not just motivation. I would say, as far as NorCal goes, that I'm on the "up-and-coming" level and I could make it to the list if I placed well at a few more tournaments. The lists help the community in telling WHO'S WHO and who the players-to-beat are. For the most part, the better players will simply ignore the flamers, right? NorCal is a nice and polite place anyway (save a few.)

I hope the bandwagon's not full.
*hops onto a hay-covered edge of the Karthik bandwagon*

Charoo

Smash Champion
So many people was gonig to try harder after they saw the power ranking =(

People telling me they going to paly again now to stay there, or try harder to be on it, or mvoe higher. I was actually honig to practice again but now I feel really bum.

Hopefully this will help bring back the power rankings.

SNKE

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, honestly when I saw the NorCal power rankings, I said to myself "I guess I actually have to try now huh"

*Knees everyone off the Bandwagon and sits by BrothaKarthik*

Tomi-X

Smash Lord
wow guys. this is an excellent way to do this. i can't tell you what i was personally feeling when i saw that omni closed the power rankings, but it was kind of the opposite of civilized. when i look at the way karthik and everyone else put their opinions, in a very civilized and intelligent matter, i felt the power in which one could be swayed just by voicing their opinion in such a way without flaming, or mindless ranting. and as for the power rankings, yes, it aspires us up-and-coming smashers to try harder than we did before, to find ourselves among the best in the region. has anyone read the new MLG article with an interview with KoreanDJ? the part that made me really notice it was when KoreanDJ was talking about how he felt he got so good so fast. he set goals for himself. "first, i want to the best at my school. then i want to be the best in my city. then in the state. then on the east coast. then in the country. then the best in the world." and that's exactly the same type of goals that i set for myself. these power rankings not only make things easier, but also allow me to find the hitmen in my area and play them in an attempt to better myself. i'm already easily the best in my school, and in the general area around. now to reach onto higher goals. gg karthik.

*joins the karthik bandwagon*

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
Some people on the boards are childish, but that's no reason for the rest of us to be babied and prevented from having a ranking chart.

*dives in Karthik bandwagon ;)*

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
Yeah i believe that having our own regional smash panel rankings would liven up our smash community and make the competition more intense and fun... *joins the karthik bandwagon* <.< >.>

Serendipity

Smash Journeyman
Sigh....we need a bigger wagon....XD

^_^ too many ppl got ur back on this, Karthik!

*Dsmashes to get a better seat in the bandwagon...everyone in range CC's!*

Dano

Smash Rookie
When making a decision for a community, one should always ask themself, "What does the community really want?"

...I don't see anyone that's glad about the rankings being gone.

Bring 'em back!

K Balls

Smash Journeyman
i guess i wll join the bandwagon to, even though i am new to this power rank stuff.

Well, its ok if Omni closed the thread, its not a problem, just remember "Its normal to some People'', not trying to be funny but its true. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Joins the Karthik blackwagon!

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
Uh...*throws a needle for better seat*...****...shiek sucks...

And yeah plz give updates if you get any Karthik.

Art?

Smash Journeyman
OMG NO ONE IN THE BANDWAGON IS WEARING DEODORANT!!1 IT SMELLS LIKE NCB EWWW!1 :freak:

*gets the **** off the bandwagon asap*

edit: jk.

Arash

Smash Lord
i for one was gonna actually try in singles tournaments now

not only that, but a regional ranking would be infinitely more accurate than a national ranking simply because everyone knows everyone else. we play against each other all the time, and while the original order might have been incorrect, i believe all 20 or so on there were indeed top 20 in socal (except azn_lep, why the heck wasn't he on there?)

i could make some arguments for me being higher on the old list, but i'm too lazy / know it's gonna be changed anyway

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
We're stillrevising the list and it'll be listed either in that new forum or here if it's allowed. So people better still try, cus we'll be taking notice!

sidefx

Smash Champion
woo hoooo socal support!

but yeah if you guys didnt see the first page (i dont know how you can miss it) but just incase!! here is the link to the "other" forums XD http://www.infinityfx.net/teamwc i guess it will be temporary untill we get a definitive answer from Omnigamer. If the SBR decides to keep their stance on the subject and not allow regional rankings.. then the permanent home for the Cali Power rankings will be here.

http://www.infinityfx.net/teamwc

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I posted a revised SoCal Power rankings in the West Coast Discussion Board provided by sidefx. Hopefully it can end up on Smashboards.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
I'm not much of an activist, but I personally don't understand what the problem is with them. This has become a very professional community, and I think that mature, responsible tournament organizers should be allowed to organize power rankings panels. Most of us try to get a diverse panel, and take members from all over. Ban the flamers, not the threads. If there is a serious problem, then ban it.

My personal belief is that everyone should strive for the national power rankings, instead of some small subset, but that small subset gives someone a place to start. Like KoreanDJ said in his MLG interview, something like start with best in your school, then be the best in your city, then state, then region.

I'm the best in the Indianapolis Jigglypuff Power Rankings.

Prime to the Hizzle

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Even though it has it's flaws, think about what MLG would be if it didn't have it's point ranking system.

Perhaps the community wasn't developed/mature enough to have rankings before, but that shouldn't be the only reason not to have them now.

Ultra Luigi

Smash Ace
Go Timmy.

I completely agree with you guys, it motivates people to get better. At least i know a few people who will try harder now and that's a good thing. You have my support.

Top Bottom