• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

regarding button checks

Let's just call them hand jobs and see how often people ask for them then. :troll:
I wish I could have recorded my reaction. I had the best laugh out of that

I think controller feels is the most accurate term

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
can we stop calling them button checks? gayest thing I've ever heard

:phone:
i was going to go into this thread to say this, cuz i got angry when i read "button check" in the thread title

seriously, calling them button checks makes the smash community look like a huge joke

S

Somaiah

The first step to getting rid of the term is to find another one... I mean while "button checks" sounds nerdy as hell, the person first hearing the term knows what's going on.

Deposition

Smash Rookie
The first step to getting rid of the term is to find another one... I mean while "button checks" sounds nerdy as hell, the person first hearing the term knows what's going on.
Good point, but the Smash community is all about vague references that are said over and over again! ( i.e. No Johns, JV 4-Stock, That ain't Falco, etc... )

I agree in officially calling them "warmups", but I feel like having a second name that sounds funny is good, too.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
It's confirmed your controller acts as it normally does. Why do people have a problem with this? TV's adjust as does the general feel of your controller. It's a given that players can do this, it detracts from nothing.

Svetsunov

Smash Apprentice
It's confirmed your controller acts as it normally does. Why do people have a problem with this? TV's adjust as does the general feel of your controller. It's a given that players can do this, it detracts from nothing.
Nobody ever said they couldn't do it, its just you should be doing it before a set; not in between games.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Warmups sounds the least stupid. However I wouldnt mind calling them "Anti-Johns"

VietGeek

Smash Hero
nah guys

call them button checks

so that fighting game community will know we so srs about evo e-sports team madcatz

ssbm for evo2kXX

yeah guys it takes 3 minutes to check my control scheme cuz ssbm is sooooooooooooo deep and complex that im not sure my a button is properly pseudo-lubricated by my sweat

can't plink my 2B > jc.8C without it ya know

obv :048:

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
nah guys

call them button checks

so that fighting game community will know we so srs about evo e-sports team madcatz

ssbm for evo2kXX

yeah guys it takes 3 minutes to check my control scheme cuz ssbm is sooooooooooooo deep and complex that im not sure my a button is properly pseudo-lubricated by my sweat

can't plink my 2B > jc.8C without it ya know

obv :048:

VietGeek you're my favourite poster in this thread so far.

SSB needs that ftg rep sponsored by Monster.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
the NEC button checks were acceptable

the ROM ones were not :/

dkuo

Smash Lord
the term anti-johns when used in reference to warmups needs to be popularized

also ruleset should put in 'if warmup is requested, set timer to 1:00' or something along those lines

_wzrd

Smash Journeyman
warm-up is a fine name. I think a 1/2 minute timed warmup 'match' would be great BEFORE any set where the player requests one. WE SHOULD PUT THIS IN THE RULE SET.

during the middle of a set is unacceptable imho unless someones controller straight up breaks & they have to borrow someone else's (I broke my joystick in the middle of a match before LOL).

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Is it just me that thinks it's all just a waste of everyone's time? Button checking or warm-ups shouldn't really even be allowed because as well all know, smash doesn't have custom controls. There's no need at all to do it. Some people say that they need to warm up, but thats just a bit of john to be honest.

dkuo

Smash Lord
^ I think its reasonable if both players agree to a warmup - in that case it would only be a waste of the spectator's time, but that's not a huge deal since it'll only be a max of 1 minute (or at least should be).

I don't tend to ask for warmups myself but I think it really helps with tech skill confidence before a match, and many players are strongly affected by their mindset.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
^ I think its reasonable if both players agree to a warmup - in that case it would only be a waste of the spectator's time, but that's not a huge deal since it'll only be a max of 1 minute (or at least should be).

I don't tend to ask for warmups myself but I think it really helps with tech skill confidence before a match, and many players are strongly affected by their mindset.
I don't think it should happen because if every player asks for this (which is how it should be if this is allowed) then every match in the tournament could have a warmup which will push the time out by quite a lot. Time is also very important for the tournament. Most venues have a time they have to be finished by and a lot of players have a time when they have to leave. It's just not right to waste everyones time just to practise some techskill that should be down before the match anyway.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Why you have to finish your hand job in one minute or less. Sure, some people might want them to be longer but **** them :troll:

:phone:

C.SDK

Smash Ace
Button checks? I think it's kind of a bad term considering you've most likely been playing with the same controller previously in the tournament. I think you would've known by then if some of your buttons aren't working properly. Warm-ups seems more proper not because it sounds "better" but because it makes the most sense. Also, you can't change the controller config like in Brawl. It takes like 15 seconds to see if your controller is working properly. What people are doing is practicing tech skill, lol.

TECH SKILL CHECK.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
using the term "button check" looks like a sad attempt to become more like the FGC by adopting their lingo. it's especially sad, since the term "button check" is inaccurate anyway.

other games have button checks because they actually do need to check and see if their key bindings are correct, especially since arcade stick manufacturers like to move their buttons around sometimes

i'm fine with allowing short warm-up sessions before each match, but PLEASE for the love of god, call it something else. preferably give it a name that's self-explanatory.

Top Bottom