• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Realistic Ratios Pt2

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I just wanted to let y'all know that when I came back to check that flamestorm of a thread after a few days, and found that in my absence, you had turned on each other, I got what was possibly the best laugh I've ever gotten out of these forums. So yeah, good luck with that community thing.

Anyway, Matador, is there some kind of, I dunno, not-@ssholey forum we can have an actual discussion on? You gave these guys a chance, and they made it pretty clear they don't wanna play ball.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
SM, I can understand what you're meaning to say when I read/re-read your posts. Not everyone in the smash community will agree with but people are entitled to their own opinions however. The problem(s) occurred when you got opinions mixed with facts. To say that Mario's bad MUs are not winnable because no Mario main has done it yet in tournament is a silly statement to say the least. When I read your posts, it sounds to me that you're complaining because you can't win due to whatever stipulation(s). If you're constantly losing, the problem isn't the character...it's the player.

Not saying what you said was right, wrong but you aren't helping because there's still a misunderstanding between you/the Mario boards. What I'm saying is that you cannot place a number on a specific MUs because others performing with your main(s) don't pass your standards. Personally, I believe we all want to win as much tourneys as possible with the Mario Bros. alone. I'm all for having an intelligent (civil) discussion, but blatantly throwing your personal feelings about certain MUs without any proof to back it up is concerning.

My point: Instead of focusing on the problem, we all should rather be concerned with the solution. Talking about how Mario get defeated isn't what helps us improve...it's actually what can we as Mario mains can do to prevent being defeated (better yet, how to not lose).

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I hope you realize that SKidd and myself were quoting a song, and in no way were insulting eachother whatsoever.

But yeah, discuss it on the Xat. Not on here.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Threads gets closed for a reason. You were proposing that 100-0 ratio exists, a perfect match up that would always lose. If that is true, that must mean a human played Mario would use to a Level 1 CPU Metaknight.

We did not turn on each other, we turned on you, especially since you proposed your self as "one of the best" :p

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
To say that Mario's bad MUs are not winnable because no Mario main has done it yet in tournament is a silly statement to say the least.

It's not silly; it's exactly how the people here build their tier lists. I don't care enough to pour through tournament results, but if you can find instances of ANY Mario player beating the top players for the characters I mentioned in the last two years, I'll agree that those matchups are better than 100:0. However, if we have no actual proof that we can win through any other means than our opponent simply not being good, then all we have to go on is theorycraft, and I'm not building ratios out of that. I want to create real world ratios.

If you're constantly losing, the problem isn't the character...it's the player.

You're right. There's no reason I can't show up to Pound and wreck with Gannondorf, except for my own lack of skill. Yep...absolutely nothing else keeping that winning streak down.

My point: Instead of focusing on the problem, we all should rather be concerned with the solution. Talking about how Mario get defeated isn't what helps us improve...it's actually what can we as Mario mains can do to prevent being defeated (better yet, how to not lose).
Make a thread for it. This thread is for talking about the problem.

Threads gets closed for a reason. You were proposing that 100-0 ratio exists, a perfect match up that would always lose. If that is true, that must mean a human played Mario would use to a Level 1 CPU Metaknight.
That's not how ratios work. Ratios represent a match between two players, each at the top of the metagame for the specific character. It's not you and me vs a Lv1 CPU MK, it's Boss vs M2K. Now do you understand?

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
You say "real world", and then you say "100-0" ratio, pretty much saying "perfect". You just made every Engineer in the world cry a lil bit inside.

Ratios are based off CHARACTER match ups, not who can beat M2K. If that's the case, there's more than just Mario who has a 100-0 match up.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Dedede has a 100:0 MU against MK.

I mean I lost to M2K at CoT5 in pools, that obviously makes it true.

While we're at it, he gets 100:0'd by Sheik as well, since I lost to Noid.

OH WAIT HE DOESN'T I AM A BAD PLAYER AND SO ARE YOU.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Inui's logic just got beat.

I wish you all good luck reasoning with the creator of the definition, illogical, itself.

inb4hesayshewastrollingliketimetocoveruphisbadlogic

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'd also like to state that imo Boss isn't quite at M2K's level, and I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me. The top players of two characters DOES NOT MEAN those players are at the same skill level.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Guys don't forget, Sleek Media is self proclaimed "one of the best Mario in the country". He can't beat Metaknights, 100-0 Ratio ftw.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Thanks to your thoughtful and well-thought out arguments, I now see the error of my ways. I am just a bad Mario, and feel bad for not attending and winning Pound because I could legitimately win there with Mario, or Captain Falcon, or Yoshi, or any other character if I sucked less.

It's obvious that there can be no 100-0 matchup against MK, because none of us have ever beaten a top shelf MK, therefore we can obviously beat top MK players. That's just common sense.

Sure, maybe all the top Mario players get destroyed in the matchups I discussed, but that's only because none of the Mario players we know are any good, especially Boss. But somewhere out there, there's a Jesus Mario who could three stock any MK or Falco player with no problems at all. So since we only lose because we're coincidentally so much less skilled than people who play the characters I mention only when they play the characters I mention, I'm going to change my opinion and say that all matchups are 50:50 forever, because it's just a matter of skill, boys. L2P.

[/thread]

Guys, don't forget, Sleek Media made an engineer cry once.

typingasentencelikeaninthgrader

SKidd

Smash Master
Obviously high tiers have the upper hand against us, but not to the point of 100:0.

And so no Mario has ever beat a 'high level' player who uses a high tier.

That doesn't make the matchup terrible suddenly. And even if it did - so what? I should give up and main a better a character? No, I'd get better and face the high tiers. Even if it is an 'unwinnable' matchup.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I'd get better and face the high tiers. Even if it is an 'unwinnable' matchup.
Preaching to the choir, bro. I already said that I'm not trying to convince you to quit playing Mario.

Look, the two or three of you who actually want to take the thread seriously are confused. I'm on your side here. I WANT to be proven wrong about 100:0 for those five. That is why I opened a DISCUSSION. The object of a discussion is not to try and crush the other person's idea. The object is to exchange ideas and learn from each other. If you disagree with me, do not tell me 100:0 is wrong, tell me how you think we can win. That's how adults talk.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Just curious, how old are you Sleek Media? To me, you sound like a little kid who has just peaked puberty. </troll>

Anywho, I am attacking you for 2 reasons, calling yourself a "top" Mario with no back ups, and two, claiming 100-0 ratios. Those do NOT exist. If you want to talk like an "adult", dont make outrageous claims without any defense to back it up.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Just curious, how old are you Sleek Media? To me, you sound like a little kid who has just peaked puberty. </troll>

Anywho, I am attacking you for 2 reasons, calling yourself a "top" Mario with no back ups, and two, claiming 100-0 ratios. Those do NOT exist. If you want to talk like an "adult", dont make outrageous claims without any defense to back it up.
See that? That's a useless post. A waste of time. There's not one thing in there I can talk with him about. Total conversation killer. Very sad, but par for the course here.

Try again. Remember kids, the goal is to have a discussion. Nobody on the internet cares about what you think of them. One last reminder: I'm not on trial. There is nothing to defend. I WANT to be convinced that 100:0 is wrong, but simply saying "100:0 is wrong", or "you're a bad player" isn't enough. If you disagree with that ratio, explain why the ratio is wrong.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
There is no human factor in that 100:0 ratio, therefore it does not exist.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
See that? That's a useless post. A waste of time. There's not one thing in there I can talk with him about. Total conversation killer. Very sad, but par for the course here.

Try again. Remember kids, the goal is to have a discussion. Nobody on the internet cares about what you think of them. One last reminder: I'm not on trial. There is nothing to defend. I WANT to be convinced that 100:0 is wrong, but simply saying "100:0 is wrong", or "you're a bad player" isn't enough. If you disagree with that ratio, explain why the ratio is wrong.
Why don't you stop complaining about people not having a discussion about not having a discussion and rather start a discussion so that people can have a discussion?

100:0 is wrong because, because.
^ That was just as powerful as you argument as how it IS 100:0.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Looks like some of you forgot that I already gave my reasons in the first thread. Here they are again.

So, I've been playin' alot of Brawl lately, and between friendlies with my crew, and attending a recent tournament, I got to thinking: our matchup ratios against high-tier characters are nowhere near accurate. Now, I'm not as good as Boss, but I am a damn good Mario. I think I'm one of the best in the country. Not to be one of those guys, but I've done alot with the character. Enough that I think I have a pretty good handle on what is and isn't possible. I want us to really sit down and reconsider our matchup ratios. I don't want to discourage anyone here - rather, if the ratios I suspect are accurate, I'd like to make a case for abandoning the current tournament ruleset/vanilla Brawl for use in tournaments, and move to another system to make the game more competitive.

:metaknight:
Start at the top, with Mr. Smash-by-the-numbers himself. We currently have this match at 70:30, which is insanely optimistic, even if the opposing MK doesn't understand the matchup very well. This match is UNWINNABLE under any circumstances. It is 100:0. We have absolutely no approach at all. We cannot fight back out of shield. We cannot defend effectively. We are helpless in the air, yadda yadda. The point is, MK can 0-death us, or at least 0-40 us without too much trouble, and we will only get 9% here, 13% there when he makes a mistake. When it comes right down to it, there is nothing we can do to win this match.

:falco:
The worst designed character in the game is almost as bad as MK, and only slightly less bad because we actually have a counterpick stage (Brinstar). Outside of that, this match is at best 95:5, and more likely 100:0. Again, we have no approach, period. Falco beats us in pretty much every way, and without mistakes on his part, we shouldn't even be able to do damage. Even accounting for mistakes in realistic play, Falco gets a free 0-40% on grab, and after that, can chain a dThrow into other stuff like spikes. It's just a disaster.

:marth:
Hopelessly outranges us in the air and on the ground. If we get in there, we box better, but the fact is, a Marth that is spacing properly is pretty much untouchable, and it's a matter of time before we face too much shield pressure or have nowhere left to run. I don't see how you can realistically win against a Marth playing the matchup correctly.

The list goes on. :dedede: :kirby: :iceclimbers: etc. These are all 100:0. I'd like to be proven wrong, but this has been my experience so far. Let's be honest and discuss whether these matches are as hopeless as I think.

Matt07

Smash Master
Looks like some of you forgot that I already gave my reasons in the first thread. Here they are again.

So, I've been playin' alot of Brawl lately, and between friendlies with my crew, and attending a recent tournament, I got to thinking: our matchup ratios against high-tier characters are nowhere near accurate. Now, I'm not as good as Boss, but I am a damn good Mario. I think I'm one of the best in the country. Not to be one of those guys, but I've done alot with the character. Enough that I think I have a pretty good handle on what is and isn't possible. I want us to really sit down and reconsider our matchup ratios. I don't want to discourage anyone here - rather, if the ratios I suspect are accurate, I'd like to make a case for abandoning the current tournament ruleset/vanilla Brawl for use in tournaments, and move to another system to make the game more competitive.

Start at the top, with Mr. Smash-by-the-numbers himself. We currently have this match at 70:30, which is insanely optimistic, even if the opposing MK doesn't understand the matchup very well. This match is UNWINNABLE under any circumstances. It is 100:0. We have absolutely no approach at all. We cannot fight back out of shield. We cannot defend effectively. We are helpless in the air, yadda yadda. The point is, MK can 0-death us, or at least 0-40 us without too much trouble, and we will only get 9% here, 13% there when he makes a mistake. When it comes right down to it, there is nothing we can do to win this match.

Metaknight is very difficult, he's the best character in the game, has great options but we can always punish mistakes.

Great tools for this match-up is Fireball's: Metaknight has no projectile so in a way we CAN force him to approach in ways that aren't that safe for him. Some Metaknight's will Tornado as soon as you start Fireball'ing take advantage of that (I believe upB will always beat a Tornado if he's in on your shield it has invincibility frames on 1-3!)

We don't have to approach even if we aren't in the lead because we can use Fireball's safely from a distance. I think Metaknight beats us more on the ground than the air to be honest. All of his attacks on the ground outrange us, and is much safer (especially f-tilt, d-tilt will put us in a really bad position) In the air a ton of aerials are quick, and have low cooldown so taking him there is better. You have to constantly play on your toe's, it's a tough match-up but use your safest options when fighting him. Also if Metaknight is d-air camping I think upB will beat this (?) Metaknight is light, stutter step f-smash kills him early, and outranges a lot of his attacks on the ground. Down-smash comes out quick as well, and it should be fresh when your playing Metaknight since most of the time you should be using aerials to rack up damage.

If Metaknight is planking then that's a different story, then I don't know what to do, as I've never experienced that so I have no clue what to do. Also I use FLUDD to push MK away if he plans to go for a edgeguard. Just make sure your high enough to use it safely, and have your double jump.

The worst designed character in the game is almost as bad as MK, and only slightly less bad because we actually have a counterpick stage (Brinstar). Outside of that, this match is at best 95:5, and more likely 100:0. Again, we have no approach, period. Falco beats us in pretty much every way, and without mistakes on his part, we shouldn't even be able to do damage. Even accounting for mistakes in realistic play, Falco gets a free 0-40% on grab, and after that, can chain a dThrow into other stuff like spikes. It's just a disaster.

Falco's camping is a major pain yes. But luckily we have a reflector of our own and usually a fullhop Cape will stop 2 lasers from him everytime. Cape is probably your best friend here. Be extremely careful with Fireball's here as he'll reflect them, and if your camping too close you're gonna get hit.

Again, I say once Falco is in the air the advantage goes to us, we have tons of better aerials, and he can get juggled at low percents too. Fighting him on the ground is too annoying with his jabs. Offstage Falco is a sitting duck (no pun intended.) N-air goes through his sideB, if he upB's hey that's a free Cape, or FLUDD him farther from the stage and edgehog him. That's one of our major advantages here is we can edgeguard him much better than he can to us.

Hopelessly outranges us in the air and on the ground. If we get in there, we box better, but the fact is, a Marth that is spacing properly is pretty much untouchable, and it's a matter of time before we face too much shield pressure or have nowhere left to run. I don't see how you can realistically win against a Marth playing the matchup correctly.

I have no issues with Marth, close matches yes, but I don't see it that bad. Marth approaches mainly with f-air's, either run in and shield then upB, or use Fireball's. Marth has no projectiles take great advantage of this as some of his moves can cancel it out, but ya. And if he sideB's SDI and hit him with u-air works a lot of the time. And f-smash is GREAT for KO'ing, if he makes a spacing mistake he's gonna get hit with it lol. A lot of people seem to agree Marth is 65:35 or higher, I see it has 60:40, but I could be wrong :).

The list goes on. :dedede: :kirby: :iceclimbers: etc. These are all 100:0. I'd like to be proven wrong, but this has been my experience so far. Let's be honest and discuss whether these matches are as hopeless as I think.

Dedede I believe is horrible match-up for us, but I've seen Mario's pull it off I wanna learn how :). Someone else can help you hear for sure.

I apologize for the length of this post, and I couldn't discuss each character you listed. Also apologize if I said some things that aren't right or very clear. It's best if the rest of you help so we can get a more solid understanding :). And my font color is a bit hard to read :(, sorry!

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Just up-b in all those matchups except Ice Climbers. And Ice Climbers is easy enough, easiest ****ing matchup ever actually lol.

Words from the mouth of the sexiest Mario.

Also DDD is easy too. But if people want my insight get in the damn Xat.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
With all due respect SM, you have no right name calling anyone (kids) especially when you contradict yourself multiple time in not one but two threads recklessly.

Me of all people are all for empathizing but your argument makes no sense & I'm not going explain why due to my respect for all smashers. Especially Matador being one of the newer mods, it's bad enough that he has enough on his plate & believe it or not...........you're actually making it worse.

I'm asking everyone to either go to Xat (not sure of the hyperlink coding on this website) for their personal debates rather than start unnecessary drama. Yes I believe everyone has right to speak their mind but there's a time/place for such. Now is not the time.

Thanks

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Hey Fuujin, you're welcome to our chat anytime although you may be asked your tag when you log on by fellow members.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
To prevent this from being a massive post, I'll just cut out my original comment for each character.

Metaknight is very difficult, he's the best character in the game, has great options but we can always punish mistakes.

Great tools for this match-up is Fireball's: Metaknight has no projectile so in a way we CAN force him to approach in ways that aren't that safe for him. Some Metaknight's will Tornado as soon as you start Fireball'ing take advantage of that (I believe upB will always beat a Tornado if he's in on your shield it has invincibility frames on 1-3!)

We don't have to approach even if we aren't in the lead because we can use Fireball's safely from a distance. I think Metaknight beats us more on the ground than the air to be honest. All of his attacks on the ground outrange us, and is much safer (especially f-tilt, d-tilt will put us in a really bad position) In the air a ton of aerials are quick, and have low cooldown so taking him there is better. You have to constantly play on your toe's, it's a tough match-up but use your safest options when fighting him. Also if Metaknight is d-air camping I think upB will beat this (?) Metaknight is light, stutter step f-smash kills him early, and outranges a lot of his attacks on the ground. Down-smash comes out quick as well, and it should be fresh when your playing Metaknight since most of the time you should be using aerials to rack up damage.

If Metaknight is planking then that's a different story, then I don't know what to do, as I've never experienced that so I have no clue what to do. Also I use FLUDD to push MK away if he plans to go for a edgeguard. Just make sure your high enough to use it safely, and have your double jump.

You're underestimating the tornado, and MK's approach in general. You can try to upB, but the tornado should win (upB doesn't get invincibility till the 3rd frame, I think). You could try to pivot grab the tornado, but you're gonna have a hard time just blocking it, since fireball distance starts you pretty close, and the tornado will come at you fast. Even without the tornado, fireballs are trivial for MK to get around; if we're full hopping them, we're already in the air, which is good for him, and if we're short hopping or standing with them, he can just fly on in with fair/dair/etc.

As for fighting MK on the ground...the best case for us is actually Mario in the air while MK is on the ground. Stuff like jumping nair oos. Unfortunately, he rocks us both air vs air and ground vs ground. Dsmash is hard to use because his dsmash is just as fast on startup, much faster in execution, more powerful, and much safer. We can jab into it, but it's probably best to reserve it for a kill move since he can survive fsmash surprisingly long.

Don't worry about the planking, there's absolutely nothing Mario (or most characters) can do.

Anyway, the reason I say this is hopeless is because we have no approach, have no keepaway game, and cannot even punish effectively. Nevermind the ease with which he gimps us. Sure, it's always nice if MK runs face first into an fsmash, but we have no way to win on our own power. It's totally up to MK to blow the match.

Falco's camping is a major pain yes. But luckily we have a reflector of our own and usually a fullhop Cape will stop 2 lasers from him everytime. Cape is probably your best friend here. Be extremely careful with Fireball's here as he'll reflect them, and if your camping too close you're gonna get hit.

Again, I say once Falco is in the air the advantage goes to us, we have tons of better aerials, and he can get juggled at low percents too. Fighting him on the ground is too annoying with his jabs. Offstage Falco is a sitting duck (no pun intended.) N-air goes through his sideB, if he upB's hey that's a free Cape, or FLUDD him farther from the stage and edgehog him. That's one of our major advantages here is we can edgeguard him much better than he can to us.

Be careful using the cape against Falco. If you let him get too close, he'll be able to grab you as you land. He can use this to force you to the edge of the stage, at which point, he'll have the zoning he wants. I recommend jumping and ducking instead, since you can react better if he tries to run in.

I do not agree that we beat Falco in the air. Above us, his dair is dangerous, and his bair is a solid kill move. The absolute worst thing that can happen is for us to get stuck in the air above him. We have no way to hit him from above, so all we can do is airdodge. Unfortunately, his fall speed makes it easy to stay on us until our invincibility wears off, and he lands a uair.

Falco's recovery is not weak. This is a huge misconception. A smart Falco will know when to phantasm above the stage, when to phantasm directly to the edge, and when to phantasm cancel. Yes, there will be opportunities if you can get him offstage with a good position yourself, but it's not going to happen reliably. On the other hand, Falco has a few reliable kill setups on us, including getting below us in the air, and laser-usmash.

I have no issues with Marth, close matches yes, but I don't see it that bad. Marth approaches mainly with f-air's, either run in and shield then upB, or use Fireball's. Marth has no projectiles take great advantage of this as some of his moves can cancel it out, but ya. And if he sideB's SDI and hit him with u-air works a lot of the time. And f-smash is GREAT for KO'ing, if he makes a spacing mistake he's gonna get hit with it lol. A lot of people seem to agree Marth is 65:35 or higher, I see it has 60:40, but I could be wrong :).

Try playing Tiger sometime. I didn't realize it was THAT BAD until I played her. With truly perfect spacing, we can't get close, even with a perfect shield. Running in and shielding with upB is too slow; he can get behind you. Fireballs can be swatted with fair and several other moves, so they aren't a threat. As you said, fsmash is our best kill move here, and with proper spacing and timing, we can outrange Marth's fsmash, but he shouldn't allow that to happen.

The best thing I can say we have on Marth is horrible offstage **** with the cape. Just get out there before he's in upB range of the ledge, and get in his face.

Dedede I believe is horrible match-up for us, but I've seen Mario's pull it off I wanna learn how :). Someone else can help you hear for sure.

I apologize for the length of this post, and I couldn't discuss each character you listed. Also apologize if I said some things that aren't right or very clear. It's best if the rest of you help so we can get a more solid understanding :). And my font color is a bit hard to read :(, sorry!

Honestly, I haven't played any truly nasty DDDs, it's just that we have such a hard time KOing him, and between the (infinite?) chaingrab and all around high damage/knockback moves, we simply get overpowered. Maybe someone with more DDD experience can comment.

MP8

Smash Journeyman
I still believe everything boils down to personal skill of the player/person. The mechanics of a game like this, no doubt, play a huge role but I refuse to believe its the core factor that determines the ultimate outcome of what happens. Its all on the player. Our mistakes lead to defeat so lets stop blaming a video game character, and blame the one who is in the control.

Hypothetically, what if M2K dropped Meta Knight for Mario and picked him up as a serious main? (lol) Seeing as he has shown to be the best player at this video game and not many can match him, how well would he do and to what extent can he increase the meta game of this character? I refuse to believe Mario's limits and potential have been reached. With that logic, there's always room for improvement and because M2K is better than everyone here, its obvious that he could do stuff with this character that no one has done thus far because he is just good at the game. The tools are there, we as the commanders must find and utilize them the way they can and must be used. Nothing doesn't have a weakness. Sometimes, the weakness is just very well hidden.

Scrub post ftw.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Realistically, Mario has no way to beat these characters:
MK, Snake, Falco, DDD

You can call it 100/0 or 80/20 or whatever you like - that's just grasping at straws. If any of these characters are played at the same level as the Mario and are assumed to know the match-ups equally well then the idea that Mario will not win a single match out of ten games is completely feasible. I don't think it's fair to critizise sleek media for bringing that point up when there's a lot of truth behind it.
If you want to improve Mario's reputation then it's not a bad idea to understand and accept where Mario's limits lie - at a certain point you'll have to face the fact that a match-up is too difficult to overcome and move on to something else. Mario has a realistic chance to beat a number of characters that are high tier: Diddy Kong [slight disadvantage], Olimar [even], Wario [slight disadvantage] and ICs [slight disadvantage]; I think it'd be a lot more constructive for all of you to improve your performances in these matchups than trying to do the impossible.
San, Vermanubis and Poltergust are all great players but they all use Low Tier characters - their reputation isn't based on them doing the impossible with their characters; nobody expects Polt to take out legit Fox, Wolf or Lucario players and nobody expects San to beat a legit MK, DDD or Olimar but he beats strong players of good characters that happen to beat Ike only slighty or are even with him and that's how it should also work for Mario. Boss beating Logic was one of the most respectable performances of a Mario player - it doesn't have to be a horrible match-up to gain respect so stay away from what you simply can't overcome and focus what *can* be done.

:059:

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
The point is that we don't know if that's true.

But w/e...it really doesn't matter to me. The Brawl community is incredibly fickle anyway. A few reputable tourney wins and theory goes out the window.

:phone:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Realistically, Mario has no way to beat these characters:
MK, Snake, Falco, DDD

You can call it 100/0 or 80/20 or whatever you like - that's just grasping at straws. If any of these characters are played at the same level as the Mario and are assumed to know the match-ups equally well then the idea that Mario will not win a single match out of ten games is completely feasible. I don't think it's fair to critizise sleek media for bringing that point up when there's a lot of truth behind it.
If you want to improve Mario's reputation then it's not a bad idea to understand and accept where Mario's limits lie - at a certain point you'll have to face the fact that a match-up is too difficult to overcome and move on to something else. Mario has a realistic chance to beat a number of characters that are high tier: Diddy Kong [slight disadvantage], Olimar [even], Wario [slight disadvantage] and ICs [slight disadvantage]; I think it'd be a lot more constructive for all of you to improve your performances in these matchups than trying to do the impossible.
San, Vermanubis and Poltergust are all great players but they all use Low Tier characters - their reputation isn't based on them doing the impossible with their characters; nobody expects Polt to take out legit Fox, Wolf or Lucario players and nobody expects San to beat a legit MK, DDD or Olimar but he beats strong players of good characters that happen to beat Ike only slighty or are even with him and that's how it should also work for Mario. Boss beating Logic was one of the most respectable performances of a Mario player - it doesn't have to be a horrible match-up to gain respect so stay away from what you simply can't overcome and focus what *can* be done.

Well said. I will disagree that Snake is unbeatable. He definitely has an advantage, and I know I'm in the minority when I say this, but I believe we outcamp him. Mario is fast enough to run circles around grenades, while tossing a few fireballs here and there. Don't even think about caping or catching, though. If you don't mind, can you explain your position on the matchup?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Against Snake is 100% unwinnable imo. The "run circle around grenade" part implies that the Snake players you face don't use grenades wisely - if they leave the room for you to just get around them easily he's doing it wrong. There is no room for options for Mario between the grenade he weak-tosses in front of him, the grenade that covers the ground, the utilt that beats our everything and his dash attack that counters empty hop baits. Definitely no way to approach him, just as we can't really approach Falco without getting our *** handled.

And how you outcamp Snake is beyond me but since you can't approach without getting ***** I guess camping is the smarter choice regardless.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Here's how I deal with Snake. Let me know if it works for you.

So let's assume it's a good Snake position, like under one of the platforms in Battlefield. C4 on the platform, starts grenade spam. A good Snake usually throws a grenade, does the momentum stopping thing when it's right over you, and bakes another grenade while you're dealing with that. It's the only real way to throw grenades at Mario, since if he just lobs a grenade right in front of him or drops one at his feet, we can set them off with fireballs.

So here's what you gotta keep in mind: fireballs stop the momentum of a thrown grenade, and detonate sitting grenades. Explosions are easy enough to dodge, but you also have to be mindful of taking damage from the thrown grenade itself, since it's just a little less damage than a fireball. You need to use full and double jumps wisely to make sure you don't get hit by an explosion as you touch down. Airdodge either towards Snake or upwards to prevent the explosions of momentum-cancelled grenades from reaching you. Optionally, you can block his grenades up front with fireballs, but you can't JUST do that. Use it to close in. Near the limit of fireball distance, you should be able to keep lots of pressure on him. Having to block fireballs, and avoiding explosions from grenades we shoot down will mess up his rhythm, and give you more opportunity to burn him. Keep the pressure on, and you WILL out-camp him.

Now, approaching is a big problem with his insane tilts and tech chase. Fireballs are the answer. Hit him with three or four. The idea here is to wear his shield down enough that you can penetrate with a dair. Once you get in there, hit him with whatever you can, and don't be afraid to play it safe with jabs. If you can get under him through a platform or whatever else, you can uair him until the cows come home. His recovery is vulnerable to our amazingly bad fair. You may have to spike him TWICE to get the kill.

The worse case for us is a Snake walking toward us with a full shield and grenade in hand. Just keep him away, and be careful trying to jump around him. For obvious reasons, keep rolling to a minimum around Snake.

One nice thing is that Snake players tend to rely very heavily on utilt for kills. You're gonna get caught eventually, but you may be able to bait out a few attacks like a reverse fsmash before you go down. You can cape his usmash, so keep that in mind when recovering. Do not attempt to cape his recovery - he gets another cypher for no apparent reason. Don't cape grenades either - only the BACK reflects them properly, but a good snake will be baking/momentum cancelling them anyway.

So in short, get ready to throw about 100 fireballs. Never attack directly when his shield is full, unless forced. Jab when you aren't assured a hit with anything slower. Wear him down. Hope this helps.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Snake's Nair is a huge threat to Mario's fireball camping due to the range and the fact that his limbs knock away fireballs as he moves forward.

If he catches you throwing, you'd better be ALREADY deciding which way to SDI to minimize dmg.

That, and walking powershield makes fireball camping a little less potent than Snake's camping. He has far less risk to his reward.

:phone:

Top Bottom