• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reaction times and how they affect brawl

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
When I play brawl it seems to me that I try to predict which moves my opponent will use and try to have something ready either before or after that move to punish it. After going to a multitude of tournaments and talking to many different players of many different skills, It appears that different players can think about the game in entirely different ways.

After playing with the same few people many many times, you begin to see certain situations that pop up quite frequently. One situation was as follows.

My friend approaches with a run and I shield early. He sees the shield and runs past me and pivot grabs.

Typical situation, but it got me thinking. Why is it that he can see me shielding for too long and react accordingly (pivot grab) but I cannot react accordingly to his pivot grab? Then it dawned on me. In the famous words of my own main... I was too slow. When he sees me put up my shield a little too early, he can react in time to grab me instead of an attack.

I believe my friend's playstyle leans towards his better than average reaction time. I believe there are also many players out there that rely more heavily on reaction time than others. I want to see what situations can be helped with a faster reaction time and possible ways of improving reaction time.

I propose that players take a reaction time test and post their results and findings. Don't try to "cheat" and anticipate the timer or retake the test a whole bunch until you get a good result. Simply take the test 5 or so times and take your average speed. Hopefully if enough people post, we will begin to see a pattern with playstyles/tournament results or some other sort of helpful information.

When I took the test my reaction time was 210 ms, only 5 ms faster than the average human. I tried to emulate playing "friendlies" or "not serious/tired" and my time average about 350 ms. I believe if I drank a bunch of coffee and focused very intensely I could get an average of 180 ms.

There are 61 frames per second in SSBB. This translates to 1 frame every 16.4 milliseconds. That means it takes the average human 13 frames to be able to react. This makes sense to me because let's say my friend tries to hit me with an f-smash while I'm just standing there. I'll most likely be able to react in time because that attack takes 25 frames. However, if I'm fighting DDD his f-tilt and u-tilt both take 12 frames. If DDD just walks right up to me and does an f-tilt, I most likely won't be able to react in time. If you were to create a clone of me that has the same knowledge of the game but a faster reaction time, he would most likely be able to perfect shield DDD's f-tilt and u-tilt giving him a severe advantage.

So pretty much if you have some extra time go to

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/index.php

and post your reaction time here. Also post what type of player you think you are (aggressive/defense, reactionary/ set-ups and "reading" opponents) Also, if you have been to tournaments, post what place you take on average or something along those lines.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
this is very true and many forget about it. especially fighting metas and other fast chars people are always like ZOMG why am i getting hit/grabbed? your too slow to react to ovbvious things.

i play with prediciting his pridictions tho and need to better my reaction speed. this is all very OBVIOUS.

my avg was 205

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Mine was 200ms the first time, and the only time I've done it. I bet that if people knew what to wait for, and where to wait for it (like attacks in Brawl can be waited for and seen coming from places), we'd be seeing some amazing results! ;)

EDIT: I tried five times to "compete on the leaderboard (not really)", and my average is 188.2ms.

salaboB

Smash Champion
A note for those really wanting to get their time, start with your mouse button under light pressure -- it noticably increases the delay if you don't.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I just woke up and took the test. I've done this before. I'll come back to it once I've been up for a few hours. There are a number of tests out there like this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/sheep/reaction_version5.swf

These are just games on the Internet. You only press one button when something changes. I'm sure after playing Brawl for some time, your reaction time is different than it was before, at least as far as Brawl goes. You're doing a number of things, and not simply pressing one button in the game.

Saltix

Smash Lord
311.8 for the one in the OP.
>___>

How do I even place in the top half at my tourneys o.o

Sluggish Snail on the other one.

I'm playing on a laptop with a built in mouse though. laying on my bed
do these johns count?
:(

salaboB

Smash Champion
311.8 for the one in the OP.
>___>

How do I even place in the top half at my tourneys o.o
Brawl is not entirely reactions, there's a lot of predictions and set up. For instance, timing when to powershield is not reaction time if you've predicted the opponent's attack and when it's going to hit.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
can someone plz beat my record?
I'm 106 in he leaderboard as proof that i beat your record... 176.4ms ;D

EDIT: Not entirely, salaboB. The time it takes you to realize when something is happening is the "reaction time", per sé. Starting up (like running up t the enemy and powershielding anything) doesn't only include reaction time... But figuring out afterwards if you shielded or it hit DOES require reaction speed.

If both you and your opponent find each other dodging/shielding right in front of the other, the one who's a faster thinker will win the stare-off, because he'll react by waiting until you make your next move, then do something to punish (wait out your spotdodge and grab, for example), while you're still dodging because you haven't thought of something to do yet.

Saltix

Smash Lord
Brawl is not entirely reactions, there's a lot of predictions and set up. For instance, timing when to powershield is not reaction time if you've predicted the opponent's attack and when it's going to hit.
I guess you're right. I feel a little better now lol
I want to take this on a REAL PC and figure out my results.

EDIT:Bobbing Bobcat.
Average time .2136

2nd Time on a PC and not laptop: Rocketing Rabbit

Thats more like it.

Anyway to improve reaction time?

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
1st attempt: 247
2nd attempt: 256
3rd attempt: 205
4th attempt: 235

I've got a slow reaction time. (Bends head down and walks out in shame...lol).:laugh:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I got around 195. Kind of annoyed because I see it, then it takes the extra key time to click the mouse. I don't click until I'm sure what's happening is happening, not really based on reaction, so my time should be slower.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Some good tips on how to increase your reaction time in the tests:

1) Turn off any non-monotonous music, and block off all external sound. The brain is dividing its output if you multitask.
2) Keep your mind clear, don't think of anything EXCEPT whatever you're expecting to happen (sheep runs off, screen turns green).
3) Don't read anything, or keep your eyes on the letters. Your brain is processing the "wait" while you wait for the background to change to green, or the "Z's" the sheep make when you're waiting for another one to run.
4) Touch as less things as possible. Tactile actions also force your brain into sending the same electrical impulses p and down your body, meaning less output.
5) Try holding your breath, but not forcefully... Simply stop breathing while waiting. The less you make your brain do while you wait, the faster you can perceive changes around you (of course, breathe afterwards... A brain without oxygen is a dead brain!).

Some good tips on how to increase your reaction time excluding the tests:

1) Like video games? Try playing reaction-based videogames, like Tetris Attack! (and/or its copies), online shooters, real-time battle systems, etc... The more a game makes you go "in the zone", to more concentration you're using, ergo the more "reaction speed" you'll have a the time.
2) Listen to music or something while doing whatever you need to do. Having some sort of sound to block off non-monotonous background noise stops your brain from processing different patterns. Staying with a pattern you already recognize (a favorite song, white noise generators, an A/C, etc...) doesn't require as much effort to process, meaning more efficient reaction time.
3) Avoid distracting thoughts. Usually these are caused by strong events, excessive lighting/noise, uncomfortable positions/chairs, hunger/thirst, and other stress-inducing situations. Keep your mind and body in optimum shape at the time, and you'll find your output increasing before you know it!
4) Keep your body hydrated and well-fed. Water cools down your body temperature, allowing your mind to work at its optimum by not sending signals that point out "boy, I'm thirsty!" (sweating, panting, dry throat...). Food gives you the necessary minerals your body needs in order to react to your brain's impulses at the fastest time. Food ALSO helps your brain process signals faster by giving you the resources you'd normally need to pass your day. Less stress = better output!
5) Keep yourself well-rested. The average amount of time you should sleep is 7-8 hours, so try doing so as much as possible, set a sleeping schedule so you can get a good night's rest while waking up at a reasonable hour in the morning. Messing with your body's internal clock can reward you with sleepless nights and tiresome days.
6) Self-esteem increasing mechanics! ven though it may make no sense, depending on how you feel your body can perform better than normal, or worse than normal. If your girl dumps you and you're sad, your brain will be sending different signals all over your body, meaning less efficient reactions. If you're the first person to beat your area's best player in the day, you'll be so exhilarated you'll find yourself reacting and thinking faster during the rest of your games!

Oh, and... Adrenaline, caffeine, sugar and energy drinks can help you react faster, but these have downsides: you end up doing worse after 4+- hours, when the effects dissipate and you're crashing because of lack of energy.

If you're lucky enough to be in a manic episode or suffer from a good symptom of ADD/ADHD, you won't need any of the above stated "helpful catalysts" to help your brain process thoughts faster. ;)

salaboB

Smash Champion
EDIT: Not entirely, salaboB. The time it takes you to realize when something is happening is the "reaction time", per sé. Starting up (like running up t the enemy and powershielding anything) doesn't only include reaction time... But figuring out afterwards if you shielded or it hit DOES require reaction speed.

If both you and your opponent find each other dodging/shielding right in front of the other, the one who's a faster thinker will win the stare-off, because he'll react by waiting until you make your next move, then do something to punish (wait out your spotdodge and grab, for example), while you're still dodging because you haven't thought of something to do yet.
There's more than just reaction time involved when you take it from a test like this to a game.

My friend scored about 10 ms slower than me on these tests -- but in games, is consistantly faster on the draw. If we run into each other in corridors in an FPS, he's more likely to take me down on the first shot than I am him. If an enemy ambushes us, he's more likely to be the one to react properly and minimize damage.

So while reaction time is important (I don't do that badly compared to him, just that he's noticably better than me) there are other factors than the sheer speed at which you can twitch -- even in determining who's going to react first in that faceoff situation you ended your post with.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I agree completely, salaboB, and I think that the quote you replied to, meant exactly what you said.

In the tests, it's reaction time. In Brawl, reaction time is EXTREMELY important, but just realizing a change in the game won't help you shieldgrab your opponent, or airdodge an attack, or fsmash a whiffed attack... You also need to think fast! What good will you gain from airdodging fast, if your opponent can see through your airdodges? Reaction speed is what CPUs have, and great good it's doing them, lol.

You might have a faster reaction time than your friend, but your friend can process what's happening faster than you, as far as I can tell. While you're getting ready or making sure he's actually a person you can shoot, he alreadymade sure that the first thing he'll see, he WILL shoot. So, it's not just about speed, it also includes:

experience
(what has been learned 'in the field') - eg. X (opponent name) usually has problems with your Y attack - ,
knowledge (what has been learned 'in the board'), - eg. Z character is susceptible to Y attack -,
smarts
(ingenious answers to situations), - eg. mindgames, baits, etc. -,
and risks (win/lose decisions) - eg. Attempt a kirbycide? -.

All these, along with reaction speed (time it takes the brain to process signals), makes a player who he is: the more he dominates all five of these, the better a player he will be. And not just with games, but with everything.

salaboB

Smash Champion
All these, along with reaction speed (time it takes the brain to process signals), makes a player who he is: the more he dominates all five of these, the better a player he will be. And not just with games, but with everything.
I know, I'll never catch up with him.

It's very sad! :p

I hadn't been clear on your emphasis being on all of them before, but you clarified it and described it very well (Better than me, I think).

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
If anyone, out of curiosity, wants to find out how many frames of "lag" his reaction time has, apply this formula:

x = (average time in the test)/(16.4ms), where x means the number of frames YOU lag. :p

I lag 10.75 frames (11 frames rounded up)! ;D

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940

My reaction time sucks, but this is on a laptop, so I'm probably pressing the button a hair slower then normal. Still a terrible time.

How I play depends on who I use, and who I'm facing. I'm not really campy though.

L666

Smash Cadet
~220 (a few decimals less).
I'd say it's about average.
Really, though, the pivot grab instance was more likely to be prediction than reaction.

RP`

Smash Apprentice
I was getting 176-190, with a few 200+ here and there. I don't see it meaning TOO much though, but rather a point of reference compared to others. These are reactions of you perceiving a signal and pressing one button (one option). Sure, I can react fast, but will it be the right reaction for whatever situation I am in (multiple options)?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
averaged around 250 in the first test, but did better in the second. I've got around a 15 frame reaction time.

yeah woo

Honestly, though, Brawl's a pretty slow game, even at its fastest rate of play. As long as you know the timing for most things, you can do pretty well.

Top Bottom