• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reaching the Pantheon: An Analysis of Ascending to the Next Level

The King

Smash Ace
^^To #118, yeah you're pretty spot-on.

The line between how and why is relatively thin when you first begin to evaluate the differences. You can't have a "why this happened" without realizing "how it happened" in respect to what moves you were hit by. In that regard, the two walk hand in hand. Paraphrasing your example, you can't fall into a trap and be punished for it without the correct moves or techs being utilized by your opponent. The "why" as I described it refers to being able to outsmart your opponent, being able to recognize your own patterns and flaws, and being able to recognize which of your patterns/flaws/strengths your opponent has figured out about your game. As the game gets more competitive, a game between two opponents becomes just as much about tech skill and reaction times and combos, as it does about being able to out-guess and out-smart your opponent at any given time. Realizing why your opponent is able to trap or bait your character into falling into poor positioning will help you to quickly adapt so such a thing does not happen again. And the faster you are able to realize why you're being beaten, the better of a competitor you will become.

And to Dreamcloud, yeah, that's a pretty concise summary of the two differences. Only thing I would add is that the "How" not only entails what you did to lose, but can also include what your opponent did to win. And realizing what exactly it was that either you didn't do correctly or your opponent did do correctly, leads to realizing why you're losing with respect to the player-vs-player mindgame interaction.

King Out

dReAMCloUd - Assault K 40

Smash Apprentice
To further my own gameplay i tend to consider myself at fault. However yes in the overall sense the how and why involve both you and the other player. My assumption is that the other player plays perfectly/very well.

E.G. Here's a common argument for those who think tech skill is a waste of time. "I don't need l-cancelling to win, so why learn it?" This, in reality, is saying that the "what" of my present opponents does not stop me from winning and thus I have no need nor desire to further my own play. If one reflects, this is the reason why certain groups of people rise to the top while others stagnate around the bottom. Everyone well-versed in smash knowledge tends to strive for the top, however, which is a good sign, a sign of growth and FERVOR!!!!!!!

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Thank You!

Thank You, The King.

You have taught me different ways of analyzing how somebody can ascend to the next level of any achievement or goal. :p :cool:

That really will help me and others, You Rock! ;)

I personally believe that evolving and changing yourself is not broken into levels of a Pantheon, but rather, a self-realization of ONE simple flow.

A smasher does not jump from a beginner to a mediocre player by simply mastering SHFFLing (which, in my opinion, is an important sign to decide a self-change in a player), but jumps from a beginner to a mediocre player by understanding how the SHFFL impacts the player himself/herself.

I say "beginner to mediocre player" because everyone else believes that players are divided into sections of Smash skill.

I don't do that; I agree that even a first-time smasher can massacre a regular Jigglypuff pounder :chuckle:

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Wow, on page 1 you made a tiny post that did not ask King any questions, and you complimented his articulation and writing without an analyzed take of your own on the article. In short, you did nothing to further discussion and complimented him without demonstrating that you had weighed both the positive and negative aspects of his essay. Aren't these the things you have been complaining about other people doing?

Mind you, I don't care if people bump the thread with nothing more than a "great job King!" It keeps the thread on page 1 where people can read and benefit from it. I'm just calling you out on your rather painful hypocrisy. Foo.

Furthermore, you later dismissed his writing based on properties you earlier complimented. That's cool.

No, thoughts don't have periods. But English does, and that's the language you're poorly translating your thoughts into. You can't distill your thoughts intelligently into a medium of communication. I called you out on this, and your response was "oh yeah, well I don't think in periods and I don't care if my writing can be read." Why are you posting here then if not to have intelligent discussion?

Next point: what's an advanced retort? A strawman argument. Happy? LOOL.

Circles are better than squares.
Actually, you'd find that a square might be better used in different circumstances. So it's subjective. But that's okay, because you're trying to shrug off the faults of your argument by being cute rather than answering to your failings. Well done.

As for what King has said, eh, you have your opinions, I have mine. I'll say whatever the **** I want, and you can do the same, only thing is I don't have a reputation to uphold, it seems like you do.
It's nice that you end an argument by effectively saying "oh well I don't care."

Instinct will beat strategy no matter what.
I wouldn't think such an idiotic sentiment needs dissecting, but I'll try anyhow.

Strategy is the general analysis of a situation followed by actions that solidify an advantage. For example, I may want to maneuver your character to the edge of the stage so I can push you off when you shield my attack, and then I will exploit your poor ledge game. That is a strategy.

How does instinct magically combat that sort of analytical play? My instinct when I see a forward smash coming is to shield it. That pushes me on to the ledge. Unfortunately, my character is Peach and I have a crappy ledge game. I haven't beaten the aforementioned strategy at all--I've played into it and put myself at a disadvantage.

Instincts can be exploited. Solid strategies are much more difficult to work around because they're based on intelligent analysis of the game. This isn't to say your instincts can't work to your advantage, but to overgeneralize by claiming mystical inner vision beats intelligent planning one hundred percent is foolish.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
@Dreamcloud :laugh:

Playing smash is a sport.

1.Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Used by itself, sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors. Sports are used as entertainment for the player and the viewer.

2.English is a written language.Thought using the English language is best expressed and articulated in writing.

A written language is the representation of a language by means of a writing system.

Written language is an invention, where as spoken language has evolved along with generations of cultures who were to poor to read and write or had no need to read or write.

Children will instinctively learn or create spoken (or gestural) languages. However, written language must be taught.Nevertheless many extinct languages are in effect purely written, since the written form is all that survives.

I know this to be true because my native language is romance latin which is a spoken language and we have spoken words that carry meanings that do not translate to written language.

When writing in English which is a written language you just cannot simplify thought.It must be articulated.This is also why people write different than speak in real life.English is best expressed in writing.

In my opinion Dreamkloud you are just Emo.Your jealous of King because he is more masculine than you. haha

Smash Apprentice
wobbles, do you play sports? If you did you would know that instinct beats strategy.

Even in a game like smash.

Wow can't believe you called me emo, but anyhow, thie difference between a sport a nd a video game, which is the game I was referring to is that there are limiters in games not sports. Didn't say that they were entirely diffferent, now did I? I just asked a question, but you argued it as if it were a statement.

Lol, and no offense King, but more masculine, you better take a better look at his pictures.

Also, wobbles, Have I ever said that I was not privy to my same conclusions? Failings, whoever said I attempted to succeed?

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
in sports there are two things that trump a strategy:

1) superior talent
2) a better strategy

at best instinct falls into category 1, but that is a stretch.

@Dreamcloud :laugh:

Playing smash is a sport.

1.Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Used by itself, sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors. Sports are used as entertainment for the player and the viewer.

2.English is a written language.Thought using the English language is best expressed and articulated in writing.

A written language is the representation of a language by means of a writing system.

Written language is an invention, where as spoken language has evolved along with generations of cultures who were to poor to read and write or had no need to read or write.

Children will instinctively learn or create spoken (or gestural) languages. However, written language must be taught.Nevertheless many extinct languages are in effect purely written, since the written form is all that survives.

I know this to be true because my native language is romance latin which is a spoken language and we have spoken words that carry meanings that do not translate to written language.

When writing in English which is a written language you just cannot simplify thought.It must be articulated.This is also why people write different than speak in real life.English is best expressed in writing.

In my opinion Dreamkloud you are just Emo.Your jealous of King because he is more masculine than you. haha

1) smash is not a sport. . .
2) who still speaks latin?

Smash Apprentice
eh maybe I should clarify. There's such a thing as conditioned reflex, which I believe falls under instinctive play. I didn't add the "play" part before which may have caused misunderstanding, although I think we're both saying the same thing. Example, sometimes I just combo on the fly, doing what's necessary in order to rack up dmg / pressure the opponent.

Also, I play table tennis quite avidly, I know that relying on your instincts wins you the tight points and thus the tight matches........you could say I speak from experience. In addition I am a tennis player, that is if you don't consider table tennis a sport. If you don't, you should really re-think that reasoning, or just watch a world-level match and then tell me it's not a sport.

Pre-emptive reasoning. SUPER DUPER.

Prodigal One

Smash Cadet
MIndgames>Instincts.

Although in reality, splitting instincts and mindgames into separate categories is ignorant at best, dreamcloud. Oh, and as for your table tennis analogy, SAME exact idea can be used for smash. It is a far deeper game than most realize (you probably know this), where "refelcts" don't always win. Not to sound cliched, but its all in the mindgames/experience.

Smash Apprentice
Do you play any sports competitively? If you did then you would know that thinking in key situations is the LAST thing you want to do....just stick with your plan, play instinctively. BTW, Fox when played instinctively demolishes the opponent. In this game the potential is limited for other characters, or rather the speed at which they can be played and thus strategy overshadows instinct - reflexive play. Im not saying that strategy is less important, but when playing a game-sport of speed, precision, and reflex, which most games-sports are, the instinct or reflex is more important. You could group that under talent, then again people have a talent for dynamic strategy, very uncommon but can be seen, at least I think, in players like Aniki.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Instincts aren't preemptive reasoning...in fact they're quite the opposite. You will always shy away from a fast m,oving object, even many sports require you to do just the opposite. However, conditioned reflexes are different. If you programmed a reflex into your mind then that is part of your strategy, and has only what reasoning you put into it beforehand. Its the same as tech-skill when practiced by someone who is trying to combat a particular move.

A strategy could involve conditioning a reflex, but reflexes alone won't beat a solid game plan, not in a game like smash. Maybe in quick sports like table tennis, but ones like football or basketball, when a lot of the power lies in a good play.

Smash Apprentice
You mis-understand me. I never said instinct was pre-emptive reasoning, I was referring to my attempt at stemming an argument against denouncing table tennis.

True, those however are team sports. I did not clarify and thus yes you are correct, I was thinking solo-sports. One on one competition, but even in basketball and football there's no substitute for raw power and speed together in one package. A strategy can compensate, but that's the coach's duty not the player's. In addition there may be another fact in team sports, that being the mentality of the team and easily they intuit each other's movements, in that case the coach provides only guidance not dictation of team play. This is what can be called Dynamic strategy and differs in its requirements across sports, whether they be team or solo.

One last thought, there is instinct in strategy as well. I find that strategy develops and can be developed in 2 distinctively different fashions. That of pre-meditation and instinct. As far as I have seen, the latter is a more powerful tool, although one that seems particular to talent rather than training. I'm sure it can be learned, however that would be like learning to think ahead several steps in chess having never played the game. At least that's what it would be like for those indoctrinated into thinking and then acting instead of doing them almost simultaneously.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
that is definitely true. in sports and games, players with better instincts tend to be more successful. you can strategize all you want, but in the end it is about execution. if you have good instincts for a game, the requisite strategies should be easier to understand/implement. bad instincts will generally make it harder to execute a given strategy, but that's not to say that you can't improve your instincts (as you said in your last post).

edit:
@prodigal: if you think splitting mindgames/instinct is ignorant (i agree by the way), why did you do it at the beginning of your post? you said "it's all in the mindgames/experience", but what is "it"?

Prodigal One

Smash Cadet
Dreamcloud, when you watch the vids of the pros and assume that all they react upon are "instincts", then you don't comprehend the mindgames behind "why" they are winning. You are only ignorantly focusing on the "how".

Case in point, look at KDJ's fox. One may think it's all in the "instincts", but further analysis show he plays a "smash-and-grab" fox style. He dashdances like crazy to confuse/bait the opponent to make a mistake, then punishes his opponents mistake. It's not purely "intincts".

Another example. Luninspectre vs. DSF match.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qK4gfs3K-Js
f you watch and analyze this match, Lunin's strategy is crystal clear. Wait for marth to appraoch, run away, spam lasers, punish. It wasn't Lunin's very good tech skill or "instincts" that won the match, it was his mindgames, his strategy. It was the "why" that's more important, not the "how".

So if you're saying all smash comes down to is "superior instincts", you are flat out WRONG. Translating "instincts" to smash jargon, "tech-skill" comes to mind, players like Mofo, Zelgadis, Bombsoldier. Yes, they may have the best reactionary "instincts", but experience and mindgames trump them all the time. Especially at the level of competitive smash the likes of Ken, Azen, and King. So basically, you're argument is lacking, simply because of the fact that it disregards proven fact. Reactionary "instincts" is one level of smash: to reach the next "Pantheon", experience in the form of strategy is needed.

soap

Smash Hero
Wow, just read through all those long *** posts, dreamcloud why are you trying to start so much **** on the boards. I mean I agree that King's essays and his sig seem a little pretentious, but his points are all valid although a bit longwinded, but as he said its his style and he enjoys writing these drawn out essays and they are pretty interesting to read, so i mean criticize the content and keep your personal feelings toward king's writing to yourself
also we play together regularly and i consistently wait for your sidesteps which is a natural instinct in all smashers. so i mean you cant just cruise control the entire match, you've gotta pick up on the other guys pattern or what the other guy has picked up on you.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
1) smash is not a sport. . .
2) who still speaks latin?

1.Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.A struggle for superiority or victory. A competition in which each contestant performs without direct contact with or interference from his competitors.

If Smash isnt a sport than neither is Golf,Nascar racing,Motor cross racing,Iron man triathlon ect.You are not looking at the true definition of a sport but instead using your misconceptions of the term.

2.The most widely spoken Romance language is Spanish, followed by Portuguese, French, Italian, Romanian and Catalan.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dictionary.com:

sport /spɔrt, spoʊrt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[spawrt, spohrt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
2. a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.
3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.
4. jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.
5. mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him.
6. an object of derision; laughingstock.
7. something treated lightly or tossed about like a plaything.
8. something or someone subject to the whims or vicissitudes of fate, circumstances, etc.
9. a sportsman.
10. Informal. a person who behaves in a sportsmanlike, fair, or admirable manner; an accommodating person: He was a sport and took his defeat well.
11. Informal. a person who is interested in sports as an occasion for gambling; gambler.
12. Informal. a flashy person; one who wears showy clothes, affects smart manners, pursues pleasurable pastimes, or the like; a bon vivant.
13. Biology. an organism or part that shows an unusual or singular deviation from the normal or parent type; mutation.
14. Obsolete. amorous dalliance.

Cambridge Dictionary:

sport (GAME)

noun
1 [C] a game, competition or activity needing physical effort and skill that is played or done according to rules, for enjoyment and/or as a job:
Football, cricket and hockey are all team sports.
I enjoy winter sports like skiing and skting.

2 UK all types of physical activity which people do to keep healthy or for enjoyment:
She used to do/play a lot of sport when she was younger.

3 OLD-FASHIONED fun or enjoyment

No, I'm afraid that smash is not a sport. Nice try though.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Are you kidding your definitions clearly state that smash is a sport.

Look at you descriptions you have golf bowling and fishing as a sport.Clearly these activities do not require much physical endurance.In smash there is a physical aspect a mental aspect and competition.

cemo

white walker
It requires about the same amount of effort as changing the tv station.
I think I should start up a professional channel surfing league.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Regardless if SmashBros is a sport or isn't, it can be taken just as serious, or even more serious than a sport.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
@Uck:
those may be romance languages, but they are not latin.

you are kidding yourself if you think smash is a sport. for starters, sports require athletic ability-- that doesn't just mean endurance, but also includes strength, speed, etc. you think golf isn't a sport, go to the range and see how far you can drive a golf ball, i'll be surpised if you can even hit straight. bowling ball is on the fine line of sports/activities, but i give it the benefit of the doubt b/c you are throwing a ball.

edit: this doesn't make it not worth playing, but don't try to make it sound like gamers are athletes. to those of you who think smash is a sport, do any of you play other sports?
it's laughable to even suggest that. it's like the time some guy told me he got a better workout playing DDR than i did running an 800; what f***ing joke.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
@Uck:
those may be romance languages, but they are not latin.

you are kidding yourself if you think smash is a sport. for starters, sports require athletic ability-- that doesn't just mean endurance, but also includes strength, speed, etc. you think golf isn't a sport, go to the range and see how far you can drive a golf ball, i'll be surpised if you can even hit straight. bowling ball is on the fine line of sports/activities, but i give it the benefit of the doubt b/c you are throwing a ball.

edit: this doesn't make it not worth playing, but don't try to make it sound like gamers are athletes. to those of you who think smash is a sport, do any of you play other sports?
it's laughable to even suggest that. it's like the time some guy told me he got a better workout playing DDR than i did running an 800; what f***ing joke.
The topic was about Romance Latin which are the Romance languages.They have evolved as a spoken language primaraly.Which are the Romance languages.Just about all forms of language derive from latin.

Second you use typical deflective tactics to argue your points such as using the time your friend got a better work out playing DDR than you did running an 800 which is clearly laughable but has no revelance to the topic but defelction.

You seem to forgot to debunk fishing as a sport when you decided to make your point but instead looked for the weakest link.

To use an analogy such as the one you gave about driving a golf ball straight or far.This is the same as trying to tech a newcomer in smash how to wavedash and lcancel.It all take a certain amount of training.

You say bowling is a fine line in sports and activities but you give it the benefit of the doubt because you throw a ball.Well you can give the same benifit of the doubt to properly using a controller to execute commands.

Noone said gamers are physical athletes but you cannot say the Smash is not a sport.Lets take Chess for example many people around the world consider them mental athletes.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
hold on this is kind of long . . .

1) no one considers chess a sport
2) my examples are not deflective, they are anecdotal, albeit deliberately extreme.
3) don't think fishing is a sport, that's why i didn't mention it.
4) you are crazy if you think hitting a golf ball is like pushing buttons on a controller. I can teach anyone on this earth who has functional fingers how to wd. how far you drive a ball is limited by physical ability.

5) what separates sports from activities/games is the fact that sports require physical exertion-- there is little you can do that doesn't require mental exertion. are you telling me you use a great deal of physical energy playing smash? typing can be a good finger workout, should we throw that done as physical exertion?

6) I am saying that smash is not a sport. for the reasons that i mentioned in point 5. I
cannot say that "no one calls" chess players mental athletes, but by and large i doubt they are regarded as such. you are altering the meaning of the word by calling them "mental athletes." sports revolve around physical activity, using a few digits does not qualify. if your heart rate is up it's b/c your excited, not b/c you've taken a toll on your body by pressing buttons.

7) colloquial latin hasn't been used since the days of the roman empire. latin was kept as written language for quite some time, but hasn't been spoken for at least 1500 years. however, i agree that the romance languages are derived from latin, yet they are not latin. latin is much more complicated than any of the other romance languages.

Just about all forms of language derive from latin.
this is just plain wrong. if that were the case then what did people speak before then (trivial example, i know, but i had to say it). also, have you ever seen or tried to learn an asian language. i speak spanish and am taking chinese, and i've yet to see many similarities b/t the two (except for one cognate). not to mention middle eastern, african, slavic, and native american languages. there are four languages derived from latin.

Prodigal One

Smash Cadet
Lets get back on subject: Smash.

I guess it all gets into how each person individually defines "sport".

Therefore, I define Smash as a "sport". Others may not. But others do. So to disregard videogaming as a sport, check out MLG. Looks like videogames are entering the realm of "sports".

Dark_Crono

Smash Journeyman
you know i was discussing about smash being a sport a few days ago and we came to the conclusion that it clearly is, you need the skill even physical abilty with your fingers not anyone can just get take the control and start making drill shines like crazy thats why you need to train , same for soccer not anyone can just get and start controlling the ball like Ronaldinho thats because you need to train yourself for that.
By the way chess IS a sport.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
no chess is not a sport.

http://chessmind.powerblogs.com/posts/1115594307.shtml

so why is it called Major League Gaming, emphasis on gaming.

i have given the reasons why smash isn't a sport, yet no one has offered a true rebuttal. those of you who think it is insist on talking about finger speed. every definition of sports, online, or otherwise takes note of the physical ability necessary to compete. no one is suggesting that smash does not take skill, but it does not take athleticism. smash is not a sport, it is a game.

in case you didn't open the link this is why video games, and also chess, don't meet the criteria for sports.

"What I mean by an "intrinsically physical component" is easy to grasp by considering a paradigmatic case: in football, players score touchdowns by using their bodies to move the football across the field and into the end zone, field goals or extra points by sending the ball through the goal posts using only their feet. A physical object must be moved through physical space using particular bodily means. "

b/f you argue that chess meets this, it doesn't b/c you don't have to physically move the pieces. it is well known that very good chess players have been known to play w/o using a board by announcing their moves.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
@Tarheeljks :)

Read post #139 where it clearly states fishing is a sport.This is from Dictionary.com.

This means that it is you who continue to give your opinion and misinterpatations rather than understand the true meanning of the term sport as defined.

This meaning I have posted several times already and for the sake of not repeating the same thing over and over im going to leave it at that.

Your answers are deflective because as you stated they were intented to be deliberatly extreme.They also had no revalance to the underlying question.

Here is an example of countries who speak Romance Language , French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and Romanian.Languages spoken in smaller areas include.
Catalan, Occitan, Sardinian, and Rhaeto-Romance.

Other modern languages that are influenced heavily from latin include English.

No not all languages derive from Latin but alot are and theres more than listed above who either derive or have been influenced heavily by Latin.Yes the true from of Latin is much different than what is spoken and written today.

This is my last post about language or sports.It was a fun topic.

Edit: In my final thoughts about the matter we all can honestly say that atleaset smash is sports-like.Rather we believe it to be a sport or not.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
heh.

only one example was "extreme" and it was used assuming you are familiar w/the concept of hyperbole. if you fail to see the relevance, pay more attention in english class.

i fail to see how i have misinterpeted the meaning of the phrase "intrinsic physical ability." you will have to explain how smash fulfills this requirement. dictionary.com may call fishing a sport, but that is debatable. it loosely fits the criteria, so that is a judgment call; however, this is a red herring fallacy b/c this debate hasn't been about fishing it's been about smash. again, i have offered my defense and you have contested it only w/logical fallacies (red herring, ad hominem). someone show me a definition that allows video games to be considered sports. that is the only way you can prove your point.

out of curiosity do you play any sports? i believe you would be hard pressed to find an athlete who considers video games a sport. this alone doesn't mean they aren't sports, but it is just more evidence against it. outside of this forum (b/c i have never met any of you) the only people i've known to call video games sports were people who lacked the physical prowess to participate in conventional [read, actual] sports. i'm not judging them based on their physical abilities, but in their case calling video games smash is just a defense mechanism.

your belief that most languages are influenced by latin is eurocentric at best, but ultimately incorrect. there are approxmiately 6,000 languages in the world, 5 of which are romance languages (french, spanish, italian, portugese, catalan; english is a germanic language for the record). get your own facts straight before contesting mine.

i'm making a new thread about this b/c i would like to know how many people around the forums to be w/you. to be honest, i thought whoever initially said smash is a sport was kidding. i was shocked when i realized that they were serious. we'll see if they don't lock it.

Smash Apprentice
I SPARKED A FLAME UNDERNEATH THIS POST. Cool **** eh. Anyway, SOAP, I MUST PLAY FASTER.
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Good thing I don't sidestep too often.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
For the record over 60% of English words are latin and greek based.Heres a link.
http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/t16.html

You say "intrinsic physical ability." This is based on a blog that you posted where he clearly says that he THINKS that chess is not a sport.This Blog is opinion based.Yet you pass it on as fact.
http://chessmind.powerblogs.com/posts/1115594307.shtml

You base your definition of a sport solely on the physical aspect of the deed.Then to top it off you state your personal criteria of what a physical deed is. The term sport this is proven by multiple credible sites.That all give opinion.
http://www.stanford.edu/~sehealey/sport.html
http://www.babblog.com/Oct_05/103005_Voices.htm
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/JCScheffres/2006/05/05/The_Definition_of_Sport

Note that I agree with the definition provided by Stanford.edu but unfortunantly the people who make dictionaries dont.There needs to be an adjective to describe these types of sports.

This is happening because people dont want to face the facts that the term sports is much broader than they think.

Now here is the definitions of the word sport.

1.an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:sport&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title
Note that is doesnt say how much physical exertion.

2.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport
Here it stated that mind games is a sport.From Wikipedia.

3. a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary
Here they have many definitions.

As you can see the term sport is a broad term.No need to lock this thread im 100% done with this topic.

MVPaintballer

the lil d that could
Ok I play soccer and paintball. I have to say VG's are in a way a sport. Why? Because hotdog eating is considered a sport. A sport doesn't have to be a game where a ball made of an animal's skin is thrown/kicked around.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
@uck:
1) Heh. since you like wikipedia so much, go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language
or search English language; first line says its Germanic.

you could also go here: http://softrat.home.mindspring.com/germanic.html
notice latin isn't on the is page anywhere. english has borrowed words from romance languages, but its origin is Germanic. no reputable source will dispute that. i'm not sure who told you it was Latin based, but they misinformed you.

2) this thread about sports has been moved look at my other thread

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
man..... awesome post, defenitely puts it in perspective of the journey that someone might take to becoming better at smash

heck, defenitely put into perspective where I am at smash right now
Thanks for the great post, please keep them coming

P.S. Hope to play you one day, and well, the rest of D.B.R while your at it

Top Bottom