• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
How did you guys first learn of Rayman's existence as a character?
Personally, I first learned of Rayman on a demo disk for the Dreamcast, which contained a demo of Rayman 2. The demo featured the level where you have to place two spheres on the two pedestals to open a door.
Although my Dreamcast eventually broke down, I am now a proud owner of the swampy green N64 cartridge of Rayman 2.
An old friend of mine - one that I never see much anymore - was playing Rayman 2 on the N64 one time that I went his former house. He invited me to play it as well, as he was struggling with levels like the The Cave of Bad Dreams, The Sanctuary of Stone and Fire, and the The Precipice. I didn't know how to play it at first, but after he showed me the controls I realized they were very similar to Super Mario 64 - at least I think so. After I got a grasp on the game I started to enjoy it more and more that I even beat more levels than my friend did including the ending. I think I was 10 years old when I start playing this game and like around 17 or 18 when I actually owned it.

I liked the game so much that when I saw the ending, I just wanted to see a Rayman 3. And I did see Rayman 3 available on one of those book order packets that you get in school, but because it was for PC, I was very discouraged in getting it. Why? Because I wanted it to be on a Nintendo console - wow. It wasn't until a year later that I realized it was also available on the GC, but I didn't have a GC, though I really wanted one, especially after another friend of mine introduced me to SSBM.

However, even though I finally got the GC around 2006, I've been really lazy - and perhaps really economical - to get more games for it, including Rayman 3. Even to this day I still struggle with getting more games for my consoles; the only other game I got for my Wii U - aside from SSB4 - was Rayman Legends, mostly because I love Rayman and wanted to show some support for his franchise.

Last edited:

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
To get back to that alternate dimension theory I think I can explain why every game is so drastically different. They're dreams. This all happens in The bubble Dreamer's sleep. This would explain all the errors, new personalities and different designs in every game.

Also: I learned about rayman when I got the first game for christmas when I was 5.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Rayman on the PS1 was the first game I owned (but not the first I had played :4pacman:), I never beat it at a young age, but that was only because I never found all of he cages. Then I remember seeing Rayman 2 in a store and got it right then and there, I have so much love for that game, I even beat it before the first game. If I remember correctly, my first time seeing Rayman 3 was in a gaming magazine that my cousin had. Excited, of course, I waited eagerly for the game to release (probably the first upcoming game I actively waited for) and once I got it, oh man. The graphics were amazing, the combat was leaps and bounds above the last game, everything was mostly great. Being young at the time, I didn't particularly mind the humor, but over time it started grating on my nerves along with other things that just weren't up to snuff with the second game. While the combat was an absolute blast, it got stale incredibly quickly, run a bit, fight some enemies, run a bit, fight some enemies, repeat ad nauseam. Rayman 2 is an old game and has it's flaws, but the gameplay was always fresh, Rayman 3 had me running down hallways having to beat hordes of enemies before I could progress, with maybe a "puzzle" or two sparsely spread about the game. Though the biggest offender was the "episodic" levels, in every other game, Origins included, you could backtrack to earlier levels with the newer abilities you had. Rayman 3's levels played out like a strict movie with no freedom, it was disappointing when I went back to the first level and my hands were gone again, or not being able to go back and use the Grimace on previous Black Lums. Though I think I'm probably rambling now... Anyway, I saw the initial trailer for Rayman 4, yadda yadda (we all know how that went) I got Raving Rabbids and was infinitely more disappointed with it than even Nuts & Bolts. Then came those long, long years without any Rayman. Oh no, he's gone the way of Crash, Spyro... Banjo. Then Origins was announced, which eventually became a full game instead of an episodic one, I got it and had a blast. I keep seeing people say that it ruined Rayman's personality, but I fail to see it, maybe I just have a good imagination, but he's a silent protagonist (just like he was in the first game) and I can project whatever I'd like onto him, unlike in Rayman 3 where he clearly acted very snarky and rude, which I couldn't ignore. I like his design too, it's practically identical to the Rayman 3 design but with shoes closer resembling his old appearance, the best of both worlds imo. Then of course there was Legends, which was even better than Origins, and all of this nonsense with Smash. Ah, there we are.

Man, that was bigger than I intended. Better out than in, I guess.

ProjectTwin

Smash Apprentice
I just realized.. Rayman has a brother! XD

Take a moment and think about both of their names... hehe..

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
I've learned about Rayman when I've played a PS demo of his first game at KB Toys that used to be at my mall downtown. It wasn't until I was 8 or 9 that I've saw Rayman Forever for the PC at my local Best Buy and begged my late great aunt to buy it for me on her birthday. So not only I've become a big fan of the Rayman series, he's been an emotional attachment to my late aunt who passed away about 10 years ago. Rest her soul.

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663
I learnt about Rayman with (I saw my brothers first playing Rayman 1) Rayman 2, the first Rayman game I played, and I was so young, I was very scared of the pirates and of "Carmen" (Idk why xD) and so so so scared of the Cave of Bad Dreams (I couldn't sleep :(). Something funny is that I wasn't able to jump to the baby Globoxes in the first level, where you must jump to a platform where the baby Globoxes are, it was too difficult to me and I needed the help of my brothers to pass this platform xD.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
First learned about Rayman when I got my PS1. It was given to me as a gift, alongside Rayman 1. I played it, had a blast, and well... here we are.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
This is how I first learned about Rayman.
MY BACKSTORY WITH RAYMAN HIMSELF

I first discovered Rayman by browsing the Nintendo DSi Shop for games and finding the first Rayman game on there. I finally got the chance to know who the character was when I sampled Rayman Origins at a GameStop and instantly loved the franchise. I practically begged my mom to get the game. Playing through the game with my little brother is one of the best gaming memories I have. I loved the praise it got in the Nintendo Power Magazine (may it rest in peace), being called a "platforming masterpiece". Rayman Origins is my favorite Rayman game and is one of my top 5 games of all time.

When Legends was leaked, I made it a goal to save up money to get a Wii U, even if it would be the only game I played on the console. This was all before I knew about Smash 4, mind you. I finally got the console 10 days after it released (which was my birthday), and I freaking loved it. I played Nintendo Land all the time until Christmas that year when I finally got my own copy of Smash Bros. Brawl and also got New Super Mario Bros. U. I couldn't wait to get my hands on Rayman Legends, but when the infamous delay happened, I was a bit upset, but soon got over it (unlike the haters).

Then, I found out about Smash 4, and then a whole new story began...

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Oh boy, do I remember the outrage that was caused by the Rayman Legends delay. I'll admit I was upset too, but I quickly got over it and learned to be patient. That clearly didn't seem to be the case with others.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Oh boy, do I remember the outrage that was caused by the Rayman Legends delay. I'll admit I was upset too, but I quickly got over it and learned to be patient. That clearly didn't seem to be the case with others.
Well, it's understandable seeing as how the Wii U version was complete but was delayed so it could be ported to other consoles... Yeah, it's pretty BS if you ask me.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I just hope that our support for Rayman will convince Sakurai to add him as DLC. I REALLY want Sakurai to be the one that designs Rayman's moveset. That guy is in a class of his own when it comes to creativity. Just look at how he designed Duck Hunt and Shulk.
That said, I'm also afraid that our support will come to waste if Rayman isn't added. I don't want to be treated to a sentence of 5-8 years till the next Smash game arrives, only to find out that Sakurai won't be the director. Not to mention, that Rayman trophy will still be there, reminding us of what could've been.
Are you guys worried about Rayman's chances for Smash? I mean, he may seem like a logical choice in our eyes, but is it a logical choice to Sakurai?
Don't get me wrong. I'm still confident about Rayman's chances, but I don't want to get the feeling that he's an extremely likely character to the point where I'll set myself up for disappointment.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I just hope that our support for Rayman will convince Sakurai to add him as DLC. I REALLY want Sakurai to be the one that designs Rayman's moveset. That guy is in a class of his own when it comes to creativity. Just look at how he designed Duck Hunt and Shulk.
That said, I'm also afraid that our support will come to waste if Rayman isn't added. I don't want to be treated to a sentence of 5-8 years till the next Smash game arrives, only to find out that Sakurai won't be the director. Not to mention, that Rayman trophy will still be there, reminding us of what could've been.
Are you guys worried about Rayman's chances for Smash? I mean, he may seem like a logical choice in our eyes, but is it a logical choice to Sakurai?
Don't get me wrong. I'm still confident about Rayman's chances, but I don't want to get the feeling that he's an extremely likely character to the point where I'll set myself up for disappointment.
At this moment, I feel that we don't have to worry about his chances. He's arguably the most likely 3rd party character imo. We should start worrying when we get more information on the ballot, but only then.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
At this moment, I feel that we don't have to worry about his chances. He's arguably the most likely 3rd party character imo. We should start worrying when we get more information on the ballot, but only then.
I can see where you're coming from.
That said, I'm just trying to remain pessimistic about his chances so I don't end up disappointing myself.
On the bright side, however, I'll just look at where Mega Man was standing before he was confirmed for Smash 4.
  1. He was considered dead by many when Capcom cancelled all the Mega Man games in development. Chief among these was Mega Man Legends 3 for the 3DS.
  2. The "Capcom Five" for the GCN were either ported to other platforms or were flat out cancelled.
  3. The creator of Mega Man left the company in 2010.
On the bright side, at least Rayman is alive and thriving in today's modern gaming culture. Sure, Rayman Legends was ported to other platforms, but at least it wasn't cancelled. That's one for Ubisoft compared to MULTIPLE by Capcom. Combine that with how Ancel is still at Ubisoft, Rayman's trophy in Smash, and Ubisoft's strong support for Wii U, and Rayman is in a better position than Mega Man was two years ago.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
This is still my favorite Smashified:

He's the one that started it all and still hasn't been topped in terms of hype, publicity, and design. There's no flaws.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

He's the one that started it all and still hasn't been topped in terms of hype, publicity, and design. There's no flaws.
Agreed, nothing will beat the Smashified Rayman, it both simultaneously made me happy and broke my heart.

Last edited:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Ah, Arsty Omni/Smashified, the love/hate relationship I have with you.

One one hand, your work is fantastic and I love it, but on the other hand, I'm still deep inside mad at you for the fake Rayman leak back in February.

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663

I wonder if Omni voted for Rayman (because it's the first character he smashified, well after Klonoa).

Rayman and Bomberman have a similar red neckerchief xD

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I wonder if Omni voted for Rayman (because it's the first character he smashified, well after Klonoa).
I think he did, I remember on Twitter after the ballot was announced he said something along the lines of "WE CAN MAKE RAYMAN HAPPEN!"

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
He did vote for Rayman due to him feeling bad and his words: "I feel like I owe the fandom this vote".

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Ah, Arsty Omni/Smashified, the love/hate relationship I have with you.

One one hand, your work is fantastic and I love it, but on the other hand, I'm still deep inside mad at you for the fake Rayman leak back in February.
xD From all the stuff that he has done, I think this is one of the BEST:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
So, if Rayman got in Smash, how much more canonically powerful would he be compared to the other third parties (including Snake)?

Top Bottom