• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
wasn't Arena the racing game?
Racing and battling. The battling was basically a third person shooter.

The game in general is basically just Rayman 2's mechanics re-purposed for multiplayer. The aesthetic style and everything is just like Rayman 2.

Rayman M... Sadly a completely overlooked game that deserves a lot more credit. I don't typically like racing/kart games, but the on-foot aspect (that ironically would have worked better for Sonic) made it a lot more enjoyable. The battles were the best though.
Well Sonic did get on foot racers in the form of Sonic R and Sonic Rivals 1 & 2. The latter reminds me a lot of Rayman Arena, except in 2D.

Then there are the multiplayer modes of Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes, which are actually quite fun.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
As said before, both M and Arena had both racing and battle modes.

A hand-held adaptation is the one with only racing.
The PS1 game, Rayman Rush, also only has racing. It has all of the same maps as M/Arena, and most of the cast (the Teensies were omitted, likely due to their animations being too complex for PS1), but cuts out the battle mode entirely. It did have extra Lum Collection and Break the Targets missions though, which I don't think other versions had.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
The PS1 game, Rayman Rush, also only has racing. It has all of the same maps as M/Arena, and most of the cast (the Teensies were omitted, likely due to their animations being too complex for PS1), but cuts out the battle mode entirely. It did have extra Lum Collection and Break the Targets missions though, which I don't think other versions had.
How, they had a lot of differences done for each versions of this one game.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
How, they had a lot of differences done for each versions of this one game.
Well it isn't unprecedented - just look at all of the differences between versions of Rayman 2! :p

In the case of Arena, though, it was originally released in Europe as Rayman M on PS2, PC, and MS DOS, I believe. Rayman Rush was basically made to not leave behind the PS1 Rayman 2 players (I believe a lot of the sales for Rayman 2 were of the PS1 version). Arena was basically just a port for the US, but since they wanted to release it on GameCube and Xbox at this point, they used the extra time to add a few things. The reason for the name change was because in the US, "M" was associated with the "M for Mature" rating on video game boxes. To save confusion, they changed the subtitle to "Arena" for the US. The "M" was supposed to stand for "Multiplayer" though.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Well it isn't unprecedented - just look at all of the differences between versions of Rayman 2! :p

In the case of Arena, though, it was originally released in Europe as Rayman M on PS2, PC, and MS DOS, I believe. Rayman Rush was basically made to not leave behind the PS1 Rayman 2 players (I believe a lot of the sales for Rayman 2 were of the PS1 version). Arena was basically just a port for the US, but since they wanted to release it on GameCube and Xbox at this point, they used the extra time to add a few things. The reason for the name change was because in the US, "M" was associated with the "M for Mature" rating on video game boxes. To save confusion, they changed the subtitle to "Arena" for the US. The "M" was supposed to stand for "Multiplayer" though.
Yeah, I recently found out about that myself. :p But the Gamecube and XBox versions are the ones to have gotten more content (including a Pacman inspired stage), yes? I think the one I played was the original M version (or something) with only 8 characters and was on the PS2.

And with some research, I still wish to this day Ly was playable in that game, she's even on the box art...

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
So how would Rayman react if he were launched?
Personally, I prefer this....

..and this....

..over this....

..and this.

I just feel like his reactions in Origins are too over the top..... even for Smash Bros.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

..and this....

..over this....

..and this.

I just feel like his reactions in Origins are too over the top..... even for Smash Bros.
Huh, I thought R2 design did pull the expression like this before when I brought that up a while back, but it's render arts instead.

But I would agree, but if it's the Origins design, I would expect those over the classic ones. ._.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, I recently found out about that myself. :p But the Gamecube and XBox versions are the ones to have gotten more content (including a Pacman inspired stage), yes? I think the one I played was the original M version (or something) with only 8 characters and was on the PS2.

And with some research, I still wish to this day Ly was playable in that game, she's even on the box art...
Is this the box you had?

I think that's supposed to be Tily. It's a character that only appeared in this game. She's a fairy, like Ly, but is a lot smaller and more mischievous.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

..and this....

..over this....

..and this.

That looks perfect
Is this the box you had?

I think that's supposed to be Tily. It's a character that only appeared in this game. She's a fairy, like Ly, but is a lot smaller and more mischievous.
Oh ****, my language!

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Huh, I thought R2 design did pull the expression like this before when I brought that up a while back, but it's render arts instead.

But I would agree, but if it's the Origins design, I would expect those over the classic ones. ._.
Even if those were his reactions, I would really like this to be his reaction to either a footstool or being hit by a meteor smash while standing:

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383

..and this....

..over this....

..and this.

That's what makes Rayman special, he's always over the top! I personally like his Origins expressions.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Is this the box you had?

I believe so, just in full English (maybe with Spanish with it too I guess). And yes, I know about Tily, she's suppose to be Ly's younger sister, but it was said that Tily replaced Ly as Ly was possibly going to be playable in that game originally.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

..and this....

..over this....

..and this.

I disagree, I would love to see Origins' reactions in Smash. There's something charming about them.
This could be his footstool animation.

:4greninja:'d

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I imagine Rayman couldn't be quite as expressive as Origins/Legends in a 3D graphics game just because there are more limitations, but something in between Origins/Legends and Rayman 2/3 would work great.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Ly is a character that I've always wanted to return. Hell, I wouldn't care if they radically redesigned her like Betilla, I just want a comeback, imagine both of them in the same game, even. Hopefully there'll be a game with everyone in it.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I imagine Rayman couldn't be quite as expressive as Origins/Legends in a 3D graphics game just because there are more limitations, but something in between Origins/Legends and Rayman 2/3 would work great.
Pretty much this. That's where I was getting at.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Ly is a character that I've always wanted to return. Hell, I wouldn't care if they radically redesigned her like Betilla, I just want a comeback, imagine both of them in the same game, even. Hopefully there'll be a game with everyone in it.
"radically redesigned her like Betilla" Well, unless you mean something like this.

...Then...I guess. But I really want the standard design. But that's more acceptable then this...

:| ...No....

And excuse my double post, sorry..

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
That's what makes Rayman special, he's always over the top! I personally like his Origins expressions.
It's not that I dislike his Origins expressions; far from it actually.
Its because it would be harder to replicate those same reaction in a 2.5D fighting game, as those expressions came from a 2D platformer.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
So what's everybody's favorite Rayman appearance in general?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Am I the only one who likes the big eyebrows?

Granted, that one commercial from Ubisoft with a 3D model looked weird, but every other instance of them I actually like.

As far as favourite design, well, the latest one. Rayman's design hasn't changed that drastically. They've just updated and refined it, really. I like all of the designs, but it hasn't changed so much as it has evolved, so naturally, I like the latest one best.

I guess the Rayman 1 design is pretty differentiated, but I still like it.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I like Rayman's latest appearance since it's pretty much the perfect balance between all of his designs, and it's really just better defined to the point where it can't get much better. I still love his Rayman 2 appearance almost as much, though.

1. Legends
  2. Rayman 2
  3. Origins
  4. Rayman 1
  5. Rayman 3
"radically redesigned her like Betilla" Well, unless you mean something like this.

That was the exact image I had in mind, though I would far prefer her original appearance.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Oh yeah and I included his Smash Bros. trophy design in an edit.
Well, with that, Smashified >= 3, O, 2 /= 1 I guess.

As what SonicBrawler said, I think it's just a slight nostalgia bias tbh is why I love the R3 one so much. But I will admit the Smash one makes me like the RO design better (excluding the thick eye brows, sorry. :/)

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Am I the only one who likes the big eyebrows?

Granted, that one commercial from Ubisoft with a 3D model looked weird, but every other instance of them I actually like.

As far as favourite design, well, the latest one. Rayman's design hasn't changed that drastically. They've just updated and refined it, really. I like all of the designs, but it hasn't changed so much as it has evolved, so naturally, I like the latest one best.

I guess the Rayman 1 design is pretty differentiated, but I still like it.
Yeah. Rayman has been consistent when it comes to the quality of his renders( which can't be said for others...:4pacman::4sonic:).
That said, my favorite designs of Rayman are Origins, Rayman 2, and the ArtsyOmni render.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
So what's everybody's favorite Rayman appearance in general?

3 = O/L > ArtsyOmi > 2 > 1
You do have a point, this would probably be the closest they could do

As for the eyebrows, my only problem with them is that I wish they were closer together, and a bit thinner.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I just wish Omni had given us the Rayman image without the background, since it's by far the best rendition of Rayman ever.

I also want to redo my alt palette ideas with it, but that's besides the point.

Last edited:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I just wish Omni had given us the Rayman image without the background, since it's by far the best rendition of Rayman ever.

I also want to redo my alt palette ideas with it, but that's besides the point.

Top Bottom