• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
i'd like to be put on the supporters list. after the leak it showed me how much i actually want him.

as for the leak... i'm a bit bummed out about it being fake now, the effort he put in really is something to behold though. props to him for fooling so many people. (myself included)

it's like he gave the Rayman fans a valentine, then broke their hearts the next day. hope his day of fame was a good enough reward for him.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Funnily enough, the Rayman "leak" instantly brought the Klonoa pic to mind for me. This Omni guy is definitely a very skilled artist/video editor.

But yeah, I didn't buy it. Leaks are leaks, after all. I hope this taught you all to be a bit more sceptical.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
What was this BURn thing that went down?
Apparently the post has been deleted, but I'm really curious what this "new low" was.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Shame it wasn't true. I guess I'm back to hoping Mewtwo isn't slow so I can main him. This is the best smash bros game yet, but I really can't find a main. Rayman would have been perfect. It'll be interesting to see if Ubisoft still feels the need to deny now that we all know it was just a troll.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
You have my deepest sympathies, Rayman supporters.

I don't care much for Rayman as a character, nor did I really play most of his games, but I did like Rayman 2 on the N64. But I feel as though almost any sort of character can have potential in Smash Bros, and have fans dedicated to that character no matter how obscure. Rayman might not be on the same iconic tier as Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, or Pac-Man, but he is still a gaming icon nonetheless with a large history with Nintendo. And were he truly in Smash Bros, he would have just as much reason to stand among the other 3rd party characters, and be appreciated and loved like the rest of them.

For me, I was interested in the fact that Rayman would have a completely unique moveset to add to the roster, as well as opening the doors for other potential characters down the line (Isaac from Golden Sun). In a game where the likes of Duck Hunt Dog, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and etc could all function perfectly along with the rest of the cast despite their unorthodox nature, no one could ever make the claim that Rayman couldn't do the same (despite not having any limbs), and stand amongst the Nintendo giants.

The leaker is very talented. To the point where his talents are incredibly respectable, and I envy them. And while I feel as though he didn't have any ill-intentions, I will say that he didn't exactly do the right thing by promoting this as a leak. It is basically the equivalent of being in school, and the really hot and popular chick whom you have always had a crush on and been friends with asks you to be in a relationship with her. You go on dates, you go to the movies, you might even kiss a little. And everything goes swimmingly, and you are happier than you have ever been. But then one day, she tells you the truth. She wanted your help to gain the confidence to ask out the real guy whom she truly admires, and has feelings for. And she turned to you, because she felt as though you were that one friend whom she could have trusted and relied on. She still wants to be friends with you, but you aren't the one she loves, and she turns you down.

I'm not the greatest of speakers, but this is basically what this situation equates to for me. The theoretical girl in the above example didn't have any ill-will or intentions, but she lied to you. Maybe not in a way that was intentionally meant to harm you, but in a way where she didn't tell you the full truth. She raised up your hopes, and at the peak of your happiness, the truth was revealed. And your feelings were crushed, intensely. And much like this theoretical girl, the leaker pretty much did something similar to a good portion of the Rayman fans.

I ask for the people who criticize so harshly upon those who hate the leaker so severely that they try to see things from this perspective. Sending death threats is wrong, very wrong, but you also have to understand that their feelings were crushed just recently. Most likely, just like yours were. And the feelings of sadness and anger are not too far apart from eachother. People respond to negative situations in life with varying levels of sadness and anger, and some are able to control their emotions much more efficiently than others. But sadness can breed more anger, and anger can breed more sadness. The two emotions are very easy to switch with the right amount of negative influence. However, remember this: Sadness usually always comes first, for the majority of the people in this world. And while they are lashing out in anger, they are also letting out their sadness. Keep this in mind when you talk to these people.

And additionally, for those of you who do respond out in anger, remember this: Responding in anger only breeds more anger, and more sadness. You are not alone in regards to having your feelings crushed. Most everyone in this topic has had this happen to them, as well. They are sad, just like you are right now. Do you really wish to make things harder for the fellow supporters of something you admire, and find joy in? Your actions only make the people around you angry as well. And in turn, it does more to crush their own hopes, and bring them more sadness and grief. Is this truly what you wish to do to other people? Unlike anger, sadness doesn't always breed more sadness and anger, though it can. But unlike anger, it doesn't always do this. Sadness of one person can bring about the support of other people to try to help those who are sad. Sadness can bring about a realization, and change to do something better. Sadness can sometimes bring people closer together, and stronger than before. Pain is a universal feeling, and one of the key contributing factors that can help people understand eachother in this world. Because everyone can understand, and feel pain.

Anger is not the same way, however. Anger usually always breed more sadness, and anger unlike sadness itself. Because while sadness is the feeling of being in pain, anger is the act and desire to want to cause others pain. And by acting out in anger, you are acting out in a way that causes other people pain, and sadness. Do you truly wish to do this? It doesn't matter what side you are on. You always have to be aware of your own actions and the ramifications that they can have on other people. Because you never know when you can hurt the people close to you, to a degree which can never be repaired.

It is okay to express your sadness in regards to loss (in this regards Rayman), but for everyone in this topic, do your best not to lash out in anger. Especially not at other people. While there can be legitimate and true reasons for acting out in anger in life, they are rare, and should be used sparangly and only with an incredibly warranted reasons to do so. A character not being in a videogame you love is not one of them, even if the said character was the character of your dreams.

Instead of acting out in anger, share the sentiments of sadness with those around you, and form stronger bonds with those people. Let your support know. Because if something has a lot of support, it has a much more likely chance of causing something to change in the future. Something positive, that everyone in the group of support can enjoy. And not just a single person. Work together, not against eachother.

Ubisoft now knows of this leak, and is going to respond to it. Whether that be a positive or negative response, the fact that they know about it and are willing to respond is incredible. It means that they know about how much people are supporting the character. And with this knowledge, comes the possibility that they might act upon this knowledge, and give people what they want.

In summary: This is the absolute best chance Rayman supporters ever recieved so far to have your character in this game. And while you were mislead about it being an absolute certainty instead of being a chance, thanks to the leaker's shenanigans, there is one thing that he did which is very, very positive:

He got them to notice that fans really want Rayman in the game.

Take that as you will, and I hope you all have a good day. And despite me not really being attached to the character, here's hoping that one day your dreams will have a ray of light shine upon them. Good luck, Rayman supporters.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

I don't care much for Rayman as a character, nor did I really play most of his games, but I did like Rayman 2 on the N64. But I feel as though almost any sort of character can have potential in Smash Bros, and have fans dedicated to that character no matter how obscure. Rayman might not be on the same iconic tier as Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, or Pac-Man, but he is still a gaming icon nonetheless with a large history with Nintendo. And were he truly in Smash Bros, he would have just as much reason to stand among the other 3rd party characters, and be appreciated and loved like the rest of them.

For me, I was interested in the fact that Rayman would have a completely unique moveset to add to the roster, as well as opening the doors for other potential characters down the line (Isaac from Golden Sun). In a game where the likes of Duck Hunt Dog, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and etc could all function perfectly along with the rest of the cast despite their unorthodox nature, no one could ever make the claim that Rayman couldn't do the same (despite not having any limbs), and stand amongst the Nintendo giants.

The leaker is very talented. To the point where his talents are incredibly respectable, and I envy them. And while I feel as though he didn't have any ill-intentions, I will say that he didn't exactly do the right thing by promoting this as a leak. It is basically the equivalent of being in school, and the really hot and popular chick whom you have always had a crush on and been friends with asks you to be in a relationship with her. You go on dates, you go to the movies, you might even kiss a little. And everything goes swimmingly, and you are happier than you have ever been. But then one day, she tells you the truth. She wanted your help to gain the confidence to ask out the real guy whom she truly admires, and has feelings for. And she turned to you, because she felt as though you were that one friend whom she could have trusted and relied on. She still wants to be friends with you, but you aren't the one she loves, and she turns you down.

I'm not the greatest of speakers, but this is basically what this situation equates to for me. The theoretical girl in the above example didn't have any ill-will or intentions, but she lied to you. Maybe not in a way that was intentionally meant to harm you, but in a way where she didn't tell you the full truth. She raised up your hopes, and at the peak of your happiness, the truth was revealed. And your feelings were crushed, intensely. And much like this theoretical girl, the leaker pretty much did something similar to a good portion of the Rayman fans.

I ask for the people who criticize so harshly upon those who hate the leaker so severely that they try to see things from this perspective. Sending death threats is wrong, very wrong, but you also have to understand that their feelings were crushed just recently. Most likely, just like yours were. And the feelings of sadness and anger are not too far apart from eachother. People respond to negative situations in life with varying levels of sadness and anger, and some are able to control their emotions much more efficiently than others. But sadness can breed more anger, and anger can breed more sadness. The two emotions are very easy to switch with the right amount of negative influence. However, remember this: Sadness usually always comes first, for the majority of the people in this world. And while they are lashing out in anger, they are also letting out their sadness. Keep this in mind when you talk to these people.

And additionally, for those of you who do respond out in anger, remember this: Responding in anger only breeds more anger, and more sadness. You are not alone in regards to having your feelings crushed. Most everyone in this topic has had this happen to them, as well. They are sad, just like you are right now. Do you really wish to make things harder for the fellow supporters of something you admire, and find joy in? Your actions only make the people around you angry as well. And in turn, it does more to crush their own hopes, and bring them more sadness and grief. Is this truly what you wish to do to other people? Unlike anger, sadness doesn't always breed more sadness and anger, though it can. But unlike anger, it doesn't always do this. Sadness of one person can bring about the support of other people to try to help those who are sad. Sadness can bring about a realization, and change to do something better. Sadness can sometimes bring people closer together, and stronger than before. Pain is a universal feeling, and one of the key contributing factors that can help people understand eachother in this world. Because everyone can understand, and feel pain.

Anger is not the same way, however. Anger usually always breed more sadness, and anger unlike sadness itself. Because while sadness is the feeling of being in pain, anger is the act and desire to want to cause others pain. And by acting out in anger, you are acting out in a way that causes other people pain, and sadness. Do you truly wish to do this? It doesn't matter what side you are on. You always have to be aware of your own actions and the ramifications that they can have on other people. Because you never know when you can hurt the people close to you, to a degree which can never be repaired.

It is okay to express your sadness in regards to loss (in this regards Rayman), but for everyone in this topic, do your best not to lash out in anger. Especially not at other people. While there can be legitimate and true reasons for acting out in anger in life, they are rare, and should be used sparangly and only with an incredibly warranted reasons to do so. A character not being in a videogame you love is not one of them, even if the said character was the character of your dreams.

Instead of acting out in anger, share the sentiments of sadness with those around you, and form stronger bonds with those people. Let your support know. Because if something has a lot of support, it has a much more likely chance of causing something to change in the future. Something positive, that everyone in the group of support can enjoy. And not just a single person. Work together, not against eachother.

Ubisoft now knows of this leak, and is going to respond to it. Whether that be a positive or negative response, the fact that they know about it and are willing to respond is incredible. It means that they know about how much people are supporting the character. And with this knowledge, comes the possibility that they might act upon this knowledge, and give people what they want.

In summary: This is the absolute best chance Rayman supporters ever recieved so far to have your character in this game. And while you were mislead about it being an absolute certainty instead of being a chance, thanks to the leaker's shenanigans, there is one thing that he did which is very, very positive:

Take that as you will, and I hope you all have a good day. And despite me not really being attached to the character, here's hoping that one day your dreams will have a ray of light shine upon them. Good luck, Rayman supporters.

Take heed folks.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
He also said that he loves the Rayman series, so this seems more like "I'm going to make a fake leak to make as much noise as possible to let Nintendo and Ubisoft know that we want Rayman in Smash" than "I'm going to make a fake leak to piss off the Rayman fanbase for the lolz".

Which is more commendable than the ESRB leak, certainly. :p

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Tthat sucks.
best fake so far though plus i got some likes so i'm not even mad, I'm still gonna support the limbless wonder
i'm more annoyed that smashchu gets to be right on something

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
This.
At least Rayman still has a decent chance as opposed to Ridley, Ice Climbers, Chrom etc.
Eeeeh...I could see Ridley being made as DLC at some point, especially if there's such convincing things like this to pique interest in the idea.

If it works for Rayman, it could work with Ridley. Not saying it would, but it certainly could work. Besides, I'd rather have Ridley than Dark Samus as a new Metroid rep. :p

He also said that he loves the Rayman series, so this seems more like "I'm going to make a fake leak to make as much noise as possible to let Nintendo and Ubisoft know that we want Rayman in Smash" than "I'm going to make a fake leak to piss off the Rayman fanbase for the lolz".

Which is more commendable than the ESRB leak, certainly. :p
It would be interesting to see what comes from this. It certainly put Rayman in the spotlight, so who knows? Some people think this could be like the Palutena fake leak from last year, in that it's an actual real fighter that's coming it just that this was a fake leak.

https://twitter.com/GameXplain/status/567033134819319808?lang=en-gb

Something to watch a bit later regarding the "leak."
GameXlain have an interview/discussion with him.
Oh, this will be interesting. I expect him to be a gentlemen and apologize for this. He did update his description on that video to say that he regrets making such a "smug intro" to the video so I think he realizes what he's done to Rayman fans and actually feels bad about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Niala

Smash Ace

Perhaps you do have a point. And of course being sympathetic to those who wanted Rayman is kind and well-meaning.

But the responsibility of controlling emotions and expectations falls to oneself. It is not mine, not yours, not Hex's. A child throwing a temper tantrum is sent to time-out until he can think clearly and has learned what he has done wrong. It's a matter of teaching them to coexist peacefully.

Telling people to tread carefully around/be sympathetic to these people does not validate their feelings, it validates their actions. The actions are what need to be changed, the feelings themselves aren't the issue.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Eeeeh...I could see Ridley being made as DLC at some point, especially if there's such convincing things like this to pique interest in the idea.

If it works for Rayman, it could work with Ridley. Not saying it would, but it certainly could work. Besides, I'd rather have Ridley than Dark Samus as a new Metroid rep. :p
Decent chance.
He's already a piss poor stage hazard and despite the excellent Project M mod (that I can't play) people would still make up dumb excuses or not realise Other M Ridley is a different Ridley to the classic Super Metroid one.
His best chance is in Smash 5 with a new director.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Well...this certainly depressed me today. I'll give the guy credit for making something very convincing, and the fact that he apologized for it (despite doing that smug intro in the video). But really, why? Why would you do that?
On the bright side, I guess it shows Nintendo and Ubisoft that there's support Rayman.
:sadeyes:

@ Rayman4Smash Rayman4Smash
You do need to calm down though, I'm just as upset as you are, but there's no need for death threats.

Khao

Smash Lord
Welp, he almost had me convinced, the video instantly took me from "Nah, well done but not buying it" to "Oh my god is this actually for real? I don't know what to believe anymore!" and I genuinely applaud the faker for this. Even though I would fully support Rayman if it happened, I love his games, and I was actually very hopeful for this to actually be a thing, this was an incredibly wild ride and I had nothing but fun. This was basically a perfect prank, and really, nobody was actually hurt by this, only dissapointed at worst. If anything, it gave us a lot to talk about and made a plain day a lot more exciting.

The best we can do is look back and laugh.

And you know what? I'm almost scared to say this, but I think that the community as a whole actually needed something like this to happen.

There were massive bursts of arrogance during the original Smash 4 roster leak, both sides saying that the others were in denial and all sorts of nonsense, all while recurring to insults instead of actual arguing to try to either prove, or debunk the leak (I may personally have been guilty of this a little bit too). It got even worse after the whole thing was confirmed, if you didn't fully believe in the leak from the moment it started you were basically now seen as a pathetic little **** who can't see facts when presented to them, rather than someone who's genuinely skeptical and would rather wait for confirmation. This thing didn't last long enough for it to get bad, but I could already see some smugness building up every time this was compared to the full roster leak. Sure, for now it was mostly done jokingly, but if this hadn't been revealed as fake this early, I 'm sure it would have started becoming a serious issue. For that reason, I'm glad it was revealed this early.

Now? There's been massive hits for both sides, and maybe there'll be a little more civility next time a big leak that comes to shake the community a bit. Now that there's been huge examples of both real and fake leaks, we won't be able to use past information to just mock and completely ignore the other side's arguments.

Anyway, we just have to take this thing for what it was; a very well excecuted prank that fooled a lot of us and didn't really hurt anyone. You gotta admit, it was genius, and a quite a little bit funny.

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Well, can't say I'm disappointed, since I am against all Third Party characters, but if this leak had someone like Roy, Lucas, Wolf, or Isaac and got debunked in the same way, I would be sad.

Soul.

Hey Rayman supporters, you have my respect. Hope everything works out.
Leaks are just.... so weird lol.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
Well...this certainly depressed me today. I'll give the guy credit for making something very convincing, and the fact that he apologized for it (despite doing that smug intro in the video). But really, why? Why would you do that?
On the bright side, I guess it shows Nintendo and Ubisoft that there's support Rayman.
:sadeyes:

@ Rayman4Smash Rayman4Smash
You do need to calm down though, I'm just as upset as you are, but there's no need for death threats.
You're right. I really need to calm down a bit. I just get so worked up easily. Sorry for the previous posts.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Well, can't say I'm disappointed, since I am against all Third Party characters, but if this leak had someone like Roy, Lucas, Wolf, or Isaac and got debunked in the same way, I would be sad.
No offense, but I'd rather have an original third party than a first party clone/semi-clone. Isaac would be nice though.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
No offense, but I'd rather have an original third party than a first party clone/semi-clone. Isaac would be nice though.
Also characters that are well liked by their respective series' fanbases.
So there goes Roy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom