• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Kind of strange seeing something similar to RO Ray with R3's sneakers. But it is a pretty cool drawing, same for Jano.
.u. It just means that's the artist's preference, which is a good thing, imo. >u>

But I agree, this and yours you posted are nice versions of Ly in this style, and I wouldn't mind if she was like this way either, it's better then making her look like the Nymphs...

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
That Jano is much better than this one xD:

.__. Heaven forbid they made him look as happy and silly looking as the Lums of that style over a more monstrous and terrifying style, even I wouldn't want that to happen to Jano, it's what made him who he is in R2, nightmares or not.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Meanwhile, I suddenly got assaulted by the Miiverse Admins and got a Ban and a Console Ban warning in the past 5 minutes
I'm kinda confused at the moment
I wake up
4 AM
Stomach hurts from eating that roast before going to bed
I go to the bathroom
Come back
Notice I passed out with Miiverse on.
I check Miiverse.
I have a notification from the Admins that they sent like 5 minutes ago.
MY NNID (LadyBrooklyn64) IS PERMANENTLY BANNED.
And the only way Nintendo wants to discuss it is VIA Phone, but I can't sit at a phone yelling at Nintendo for 20 minutes due to long distances nor do I want to try and get Mom to do it because she's clueless
I could go for a while, but TL;DR:

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
I wake up
4 AM
Stomach hurts from eating that roast before going to bed
I go to the bathroom
Come back
Notice I passed out with Miiverse on.
I check Miiverse.
I have a notification from the Admins that they sent like 5 minutes ago.
MY NNID (LadyBrooklyn64) IS PERMANENTLY BANNED.
And the only way Nintendo wants to discuss it is VIA Phone, but I can't sit at a phone yelling at Nintendo for 20 minutes due to long distances nor do I want to try and get Mom to do it because she's clueless
I could go for a while, but TL;DR:
I feel bad for you.

I got an admin strike for posting this beauty.
image.jpg

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
I already gotten a Rayman vibe from the art and movement, which while I like, I don' think will work well with Sonic, especially with some of the ideas he had.
I don't blame you there. After the many ideas that SEGA put Sonic through, this doesn't look any better, gameplay wise.

I like the watercolor look and animation. The character design, not so much.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I don't blame you there. After the many ideas that SEGA put Sonic through, this doesn't look any better, gameplay wise.

I like the watercolor look and animation. The character design, not so much.
I did like the idea with the backpack and using the elemental shield's against Eggman, other than that, wasn't a fan.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
woops I meant change. I am pretty tired. I hated the change from Punching to projectile shooting. It didn't fit Rayman at all.
So Rayman shouldn't have one of his iconic abilities from his highest rated game? He'd still have plenty of punches, it's just a neutral special. A projectile is always a valuable asset in Smash.

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
JamesDNaux said:
So Rayman shouldn't have one of his iconic abilities from his highest rated game?
It doesn't happen that I think the game is horribly overrated does it? I think the neutral be should be a character's most iconic attack. Rayman should have his wind up fist from R1/R3 as his neutral B in my opinion. and I'd honestly want to keep the lum projectile (or whatever it's called) as far away from Rayman (and smash) as possible.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It doesn't happen that I think the game is horribly overrated does it? I think the neutral be should be a character's most iconic attack. Rayman should have his wind up fist from R1/R3 as his neutral B in my opinion. and I'd honestly want to keep the lum projectile (or whatever it's called) as far away from Rayman (and smash) as possible.
Should the windup fist not be his side smash? The neutral special has never been the most iconic attack, Ness isn't well known for his use of PK Flash, Wario just bites things in Smash for some reason, etc.

Rayman should have aspects of his entire franchise, it's really biased to want to keep one thing out like that.

I don't really get the hate for Rayman 2 around here, it's my favorite game in the whole franchise by far. It hurts.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I don't really get the hate for Rayman 2 around here, it's my favorite game in the whole franchise by far. It hurts.
There's hate for Rayman 2?

Anyways, while I wasn't a fan of the change myself, the energy balls should be apart of moveset. Rayman 2 is a perhaps the most well received game in the series, so it should be represented. I don't want all of Rayman's moves to be just from Origins and Legends.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Yeah, Rayman's moveset should represent all of the main series games. Don't just take inspiration from a small selection.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
My first ever Rayman game was Rayman 2 on the N64, so it was natural to me to see Rayman shoot balls of light.
If anything, I kinda felt it was weird to see Rayman shoot punches, but not balls of light.
Besides, Rayman 2 is arguably the most famous game in the Rayman franchise, so giving him an attack that involved shooting balls of light would be a suitable way to pay tribute to his leap to 3D.

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
JamesDNaux said:
Should the windup fist not be his side smash?
of course not. The windup fist has huge Range and should be able to be charged for more Range. making that a side smash would be weird and limeting (don't bring Megaman into this. that's a special case)
JamesDNaux said:
Rayman should have aspects of his entire franchise, it's really biased to want to keep one thing out like that.
I do agree with this. I just feel like they shouldn't include that weird 1-off thing he had in that one game.
JamesDNaux said:
I don't really get the hate for Rayman 2 around here, it's my favorite game in the whole franchise by far.
I don't hate it. but I do think it's terribly overrated. to me Rayman 1 was way better and still is to this day the best in the series by far. the precision platforming action in Rayman 1 just isn't there in the sequels.
GaroMaster said:
I kinda felt it was weird to see Rayman shoot punches, but not balls of light.
This really bothers me for some reason. I guess it's because I feel it should be the least iconic of his powers because we get NO explaination about why he has it or even how he got it? it's such a weird one off that I'd rather never see it again. but that's just me I guess.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Personally, while I really liked Rayman 2, I still feel as though the Banjo games are the best 3D platformers I've played.
There are a couple flaws with Rayman 2 I would like to point out:
  1. There are not enough enemy types.
  2. The game has a very, very dull color palette, especially when compared to Banjo.
  3. The boss battles are pretty underwhelming.
It isn't overrated, but Rayman 2 does have its flaws.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
This really bothers me for some reason. I guess it's because I feel it should be the least iconic of his powers because we get NO explaination about why he has it or even how he got it? it's such a weird one off that I'd rather never see it again. but that's just me I guess.

Well, I will just throw this out there, Ly was the one that gave him that power, since he lost all of his abilities from R1 stated by Rayman at the begining of the game. Since Ly was weaken herself, that was all she was able to give to Rayman, plot wise.

Actually, to correct myself, I believe she restored some of his abilities from R1, like being able to swing from Purple Lums, so she could do more than just the energy balls. But I would chuck that up to system limitations, cause there really isn't any reason they wouldn't of just have Rayman throw his fist, imo.

Last edited:

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
Well, I will just throw this out there, Ly was the one that gave him that power, since he lost all of his abilities from R1 stated by Rayman at the begining of the game. Since Ly was weaken herself, that was all she was able to give to Rayman, plot wise.
While this makes sense I still don't get why they made it projectiles and not just his windup fist. Perhaps getting a Rayaman 3 ish style of fighting wasn't possible with the technology at the time?

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
While this makes sense I still don't get why they made it projectiles and not just his windup fist. Perhaps getting a Rayaman 3 ish style of fighting wasn't possible with the technology at the time?
Yeah, as I edited in my OP, that honestly would have to be my guess, cause even I don't see why else would they have not went with just him capable of using his fist, imo.

Also even though I feel like it was a reasonable substitute of not having the power of fist throwing like in the first game, I would have wished it was more practical to use against the Robo Pirates.

Last edited:

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
I just looked at the first R2 trailer and whatdoyouknow? he's throwing fists.
Also I suppose I'll share why I think Rayman 2 wasn't as great as everyone keeps saying it is.
-Dull World design compared to the amazing looking Rayman 1
-Bosses were a snorefest
-Music was pretty mediocre compared the the amazing Rayman 1 soundtrack
-Some control issues (not much but still quite a few issues here and there)
-The pirate ship section. oh god the pirate ship section.
-The 'dark' story wasn't at all to my liking
-3D platforming (I have a big love for 2D and seeing a 2D platformer go to 3D is always depressing to me(this is why I was very exited about Origins and Legends and even adventures).)

That's just my opinion though and you're all very much qualified to dissagree. I just don't like Rayman 2 that much.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I just looked at the first R2 trailer and whatdoyouknow? he's throwing fists.
Also I suppose I'll share why I think Rayman 2 wasn't as great as everyone keeps saying it is.
-Dull World design compared to the amazing looking Rayman 1
-Bosses were a snorefest
-Music was pretty mediocre compared the the amazing Rayman 1 soundtrack
-Some control issues (not much but still quite a few issues here and there)
-The 'dark' story wasn't at all to my liking
-3D platforming (I have a big love for 2D and seeing a 2D platformer go to 3D is always depressing to me(this is why I was very exited about Origins and Legends and even adventures).)

That's just my opinion though and you're all very much qualified to dissagree. I just don't like Rayman 2 that much.
Wait so, he did at some point throw his fist? Then that honestly must have been dropped for some reason... Maybe it was because they didn't like how it looked? Maybe they wanted it like it was in R3, so they settled with the energy ball concept?...

And well, if by this;

You mean that shell riding section you had to do to get all the lums in a set path, than ok, I have to agree with you with that, that was one of the only levels in that game that annoyed the hell out of me.

But imo, everything else I was fine with, although I still find it funny how most Favorited games out there share the whole "dark" atmosphere for these games of cartoonish mascot characters; Sonic Adventure 2, Majora's Mask, etc.

But, to each their own I guess. I still like each of the trilogy in there own specail ways, all with a certain mainframe with them and preferences.

Last edited:

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
SuperSegaSonicSS said:

You mean that shell riding section you had to do to get all the lums in a set path, than ok, I have to agree with you with that, that was one of the only levels in that game that annoyed the hell out of me.
nonono I meant this monstrosity

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
nonono I meant this monstrosity
Wow. I've completely forgot such a level existed... I could assume looking at this video, the controls seem like they are rather stiff. But since I can't seem to even remember it, It must not have been a big deal to me, might of ended up just being rather boring, just looking at it.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Wait so, he did at some point throw his fist? Then that honestly must have been dropped for some reason... Maybe it was because they didn't like how it looked? Maybe they wanted it like it was in R3, so they settled with the energy ball concept?...

And well, if by this;

But imo, everything else I was fine with, although I still find it funny how most Favorited games out there share the whole "dark" atmosphere for these games of cartoonish mascot characters; Sonic Adventure 2, Majora's Mask, etc.

But, to each their own I guess. I still like each of the trilogy in there own specail ways, all with a certain mainframe with them and preferences.
Now that I remember, I loved the dark setting/places of R2, since it fits the situation Rayman was going into, the destruction of the World, and his friends in danger. I didn't expected ALL of the stages being all cheerfully in color while Rayman had a overly smiling face. The places that had rain/fog/cloudy/dark sky where my favorites, and the same goes with R3's Land of the Livid Dead/Bog of Murk, really, I liked to stop for a while just to admire the atmosphere.

And well, the only place in Legends I will appreciate the most its "La fiesta de los Muertos" just because they got the colorful vibe of El Dia de Muertos, a holiday that I will always love.

Last edited:

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
Oh boring it was for sure. this video also makes it look easy. the controls are horrible and the ship is so clunky you damage it if you as much as bump into a twig.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Now that I remember, I loved the dark setting/places of R2, since it fits the situation Rayman was going into, the destruction of the World, and his friends in danger. I didn't expected ALL of the stages being all cheefully in color while Rayman had a overly smiling face. The places that had rain/fog/cloudy/dark sky where my favorites, and the same goes with R3's Land of the Livid Dead/Bog of Murk, really, I liked to stop for a while just to admire the atmosphere.

And well, the only place in Legends I will appreciate the most it "La fiesta de los Muertos" just because they got the colorful vibe of El Dia de Muertos, a holiday that I will always love.
I was going to bring that up, that it was an apocalyptic setting, so everything was destroyed in the process, making the setting fit the circumstance. But I forgot to say it.

And well, that's really nice of that for you, that sounds like a wonderful level from the sounds of it.

Top Bottom