• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

RayStrYke

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I've been meaning to tell you this. I got my latest issue of Nintendo Force several weeks ago. In it, there's a section regarding the top choices for the Smash Bros Ballot, which features Artsi Omni's renders of Rayman, Banjo & Kazooie, and Shovel Knight. As for the top choices, well, Rayman nor Banjo aren't listed as #1. In fact, they're not even on the list at all. You wanna know who is #1? It's Shovel Knight. Reason why Rayman haven't been listed is because Ubisoft has pulled most of their support for Nintendo and that his amiibo probably won't look pretty. For Banjo, it's simply because he's owned by Microsoft and that will support the competition. As an avid reader of their magazine, I find this rather biased. It doesn't help ever since they gave Rayman Legends a 7.5, which is less compared to Sonic Lost World, which earns a 8.0.
I'm just gonna say that might just be completely trash.Because i have been doing some research for Rayman votes and aparently everywhere i go all i can say is that Rayman has a better shot than shovel knight and banjo,even on the smashboards and gamefaq character forums lots users have Rayman in their their top 3 characters for DLC.Plus Rayman is more well known than shovel knight anyway.
i wouldn't take that seriously because honestly i had never heard of the Nintendo Force magazine.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Oh, I've been meaning to tell you this. I got my latest issue of Nintendo Force several weeks ago. In it, there's a section regarding the top choices for the Smash Bros Ballot, which features Artsi Omni's renders of Rayman, Banjo & Kazooie, and Shovel Knight. As for the top choices, well, Rayman nor Banjo aren't listed as #1. In fact, they're not even on the list at all. You wanna know who is #1? It's Shovel Knight. Reason why Rayman haven't been listed is because Ubisoft has pulled most of their support for Nintendo and that his amiibo probably won't look pretty. For Banjo, it's simply because he's owned by Microsoft and that will support the competition. As an avid reader of their magazine, I find this rather biased. It doesn't help ever since they gave Rayman Legends a 7.5, which is less compared to Sonic Lost World, which earns a 8.0.
From what I'm understand, this wasn't a top 10 list, but a "most popular" list. Is that right? If so, talk about bias, even if you're not a fan of those characters, if they're popular enough, you should include them.

And I really enjoyed Lost World, but even ill admit Legends was the better game.

Last edited:

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
Hey guys! I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but it's been announced that Miiverse will be going through a major redesign this summer. It includes a more streamlined interface that organizes your posts into three separate categories, such as screenshots, game journal posts, and drawings. The real downside to this is that you could only make 30 posts a day. This might affect our cause a bit in spreading the word about Rayman in Smash Bros.
You missed something.

The death of the Activity Feed.

I really hate it when people judge a character's chances on how their Amiibo would look.

Who else is on that list?

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
Tbh I think a lot of Rayman games have been better than mario (R1 RO RL) but that's just me I guess

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
Well, this is my 1000th message on SmashBoards.

It has really been nice to get to know you all. Let's hope Rayman gets in through the Smash Ballot!

:bluejump:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I didn't realize until now that the beginning of Rayman Legends is a parody of Ocarina of Time's intro.
That's pretty funny, imo.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
I'm just gonna say that might just be completely trash.Because i have been doing some research for Rayman votes and aparently everywhere i go all i can say is that Rayman has a better shot than shovel knight and banjo,even on the smashboards and gamefaq character forums lots users have Rayman in their their top 3 characters for DLC.Plus Rayman is more well known than shovel knight anyway.
i wouldn't take that seriously because honestly i had never heard of the Nintendo Force magazine.
Nintendo Force is a spiritual successor to Nintendo Power that ended about 3 years ago. It's not really perfect, but it's decent enough. Still, I have to agree with you in every way possible, that their views on Rayman is pretty much biased. I bet most of them were butthurt about the delay of Legends.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
I didn't realize until now that the beginning of Rayman Legends is a parody of Ocarina of Time's intro.
That's pretty funny, imo.
You mean the Bubble Dreamer and Murfy playing as the roles of the Great Deku Tree and Navi respectively? XD

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
Nintendo Force is a spiritual successor to Nintendo Power that ended about 3 years ago.
Wait, Nintendo Force is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Nintendo Power?

WHAT?!

Nintendo Power praised Rayman like the legend he was! They called Origins a "platforming masterpiece" and compared it to Mario's greatest!

I find that hard to believe.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro

WHAT?!

Nintendo Power praised Rayman like the legend he was! They called Origins a "platforming masterpiece" and compared it to Mario's greatest!

Well Nintendo Force isn't exactly done by the same guys who did NP, but by those who're fans of it:

http://www.nintendoforcemagazine.com/meet-the-force/

And yes, I find it ironic that NP favor Rayman more than NF does with him now.

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663

WHAT?!

Then we'll say that in what they seem is that they're magazines and nothing more. xD

Last edited:

RayStrYke

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo Force is a spiritual successor to Nintendo Power that ended about 3 years ago. It's not really perfect, but it's decent enough. Still, I have to agree with you in every way possible, that their views on Rayman is pretty much biased. I bet most of them were butthurt about the delay of Legends.
Yep there are some that have not got over something that happened 2 years ago

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663
I've seen in some posts of this forum that they think that "X" character will be added in August, but why do they think that it's going to be in August? It's because the Gamescom?

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I've seen in some posts of this forum that they think that "X" character will be added in August, but why do they think that it's going to be in August? It's because the Gamescom?
People think August because that's when Tournament Mode is released.

RayStrYke

Smash Apprentice
Doubt it that X would be a character
In August there is gonna be an update for Smash Wii U and maybe 3DS so we could expect a Nintendo Direct and new character reveals

Last edited:

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663
Doubt it that X would be a character
In August there is gonna be an update for Smash Wii U and maybe 3DS so we could expect a Nintendo Direct and new character reveals
With that "X" I was referring to "X=New character".

I don't know a character named X, I think.. xD

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I'm going to be perfectly honest with you guys.
In terms of original levels, I think Origins is better than Legends.
I mean, not only is the game more difficult, but it also doesn't have a bunch of collectibles in each level, which makes finding each secret less tedious. Additionally, the Murfy levels aren't exactly the most enjoyable.
Legends may have the advantage of having the better art style, controls, and creativity, but I feel like Origins is more consistent in quality with its levels, especially since there are no Murfy levels.
So, what game do you guys think is better in terms of brand new levels? Origins or Legends?

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663
I mean, not only is the game more difficult, but it also doesn't have a bunch of collectibles in each level, which makes finding each secret less tedious. Additionally, the Murfy levels aren't exactly the most enjoyable.
Legends may have the advantage of having the better art style, controls, and creativity, but I feel like Origins is more consistent in quality with its levels, especially since there are no Murfy levels.
So, what game do you guys think is better in terms of brand new levels? Origins or Legends?
I really enjoyed Origins, I like it so much and to be a Rayman game not based in Rabbids was a miracle for me (maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much, but apart of that, It's an incredible game), and for RL, I bought Rayman Legends for the Wii U a couple of weeks ago and I'm playing it, I'll tell you my thoughts of both games when I finish it.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
So, about the Nintendo Force article about Smash....
First off, why on earth would you base a character based on how their amiibo looks? Not only is it stupid, but if Sakurai were to have based the characters based on how their Amiibos would look, then the quality of the game would drop. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they cut Mr. Game & Watch just because his amiibo would look unappealing.

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663
So.. looks like someone discovered a "beta?" image of Rayman 2, for me it looks weird and fantastic at the same time xD:

And it looks like a inspiration to do the shoe-race from Rayman 3.

He cut the half of his hair xD.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
So.. looks like someone discovered a "beta?" image of Rayman 2, for me it looks weird and fantastic at the same time xD:

He cut one of his hairs xD.
xD Wow, so it was planned to be in R2? Awesome, I never known of that before! I like the little flag, it's cute!

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I'm not really sure which one I like better, but I'm possibly leaning more towards Origins, not to put down Legends in any way, that game is fantastic as well.

He cut the half of his hair xD.
Huh, so that's were the shoe thing came from. I wonder if any more scrapped ideas from 2 made it into 3.

Last edited:

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663
Ok.. another image.. this one is really weird..

Here's a 'funny' picture made by R2 dev team back in the days.

(Blood inside).

It's really creepy and (a bit?) funny xD.

You could say is "fake" or done by fans but the unique facial expression render of Rayman makes this real.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

(Blood inside).

You could say is "fake" or done by fans but the unique facial expression render of Rayman makes this real.
Uhh, wow, that's really gruesome...I don't know if Ubisoft would ever make that, but who knows?... Wow... It seems like it's based on RPG Mario though, it looks strange...

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

(Blood inside).

Well...
Now we know the answer to the question if Rayman could kick Mario's ass.

Seriously though....

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
To be fair, Origins had to be the best non-Mario game I've ever played in my whole life. It's even better than Rayman 1 in certain ways, even though I wished it would kept it's original story line. I loved the art style and character designs, with the worlds being creative in every way. Multiplayer was a blast whenever I have a friend come over. The difficulty of this was pretty challenging, which requires you to grab every lum that you can get in order earn a medal for each level. The only weak points of Origins are the story, bosses, and Land of the Livid Dead world. Story: there really isn't much to say about it since it involves Rayman and friends waking up the Livid Dead, going on a journey to save the nymphs, and the the Magician, with very little to no clarification, with the fact that there was some dialogue cut doesn't help much. Bosses are okay, but they feel rather scripted that all it takes is simple memorization to beat them. The battle with the Magician felt rather anticlimactic in a way. Finally, Land of the Livid Dead. Don't get me wrong, I find this to be one of my favorite level in the whole game, not to mention it pushing your platforming skills to the limit, with the Tricky Treasure levels all being a warm up session for this. The only thing that gets me was that the world is only made up of one level. I was kind of hoping that there would be a few more to it. As for the secret final boss, it was sort of a let down, not to mention the 'reward' when you beat her.

Despite some of these shortcomings, Rayman Origins was the game that I've wanted to see ever since the Rabbids era. I loved everything about it, including the art style, the music, the gameplay, everything. What makes up for Origins has to be the Tricky Treasure levels, having you to run through a gauntlet at high speeds to reach the end, with every jump and movement timed perfectly, with your mistakes making room for improvement until you get it right, and once you've make it, it makes the whole ordeal satisfying.

Rayman Legends was the sequel that I've been wanting to see after the critically acclaimed reception of Origins. It takes everything that made Origins great and improved upon it. All of the visuals now have a hand painted aesthetic, compared to Origins' character and background designs. The levels are pretty well structured and they reflect the abilities Rayman and friends must use to get through them. The bosses are made better, with most of them now rendered as 3D polygons and it requires some progression to avoid their attacks and beat them. Then, there's the music levels, the Tricky Treasures of this game. Other favorites includes online challenges and Back to Origins, with the revamped Origins levels.

I only have a few complaints regarding Legends. As much as I find it somewhat better than Origins in several ways, it's not really perfect. There's the story, which like Origins, there's hardly any to drive the game itself. In fact, the story for Legends is much less than Origins since it involves Rayman and friends fighting the nightmares again while taking on 5 of the Magician clones, and that's pretty much it. Origins, despite being lacking in the story department, actually had a more better setup to how Rayman and friends got into the mess they're in, with some interaction with the nymphs and the twist near the climax. Legends was kind of following the 'Mario saves the princess' formula in terms of simplicity. Another thing was the length of the main campaign itself, which was shorter than Origins in terms of the number of levels. Heck, half of the game was actually made of revamped Origins levels. It made me wish that they would've focus on creating more original levels than remaking the ones from the previous game, like that Dracula World that they've scrapped. It's like making Super Mario Bros 3 with half of the levels being original, while the other half is revamped SMB1 levels. Also, there's Barbara and the princesses. Don't get me wrong, I like Barbara, but they could've given her a better introduction to this game rather than making her an optional unlockable that you have to save. Her 'sisters' being copy and paste clones doesn't help much either. Other complaints are the Murfy levels, the toned down difficulty compared to Origins, and the Living Dead Party world.

If I want to be fair, I'd say that while Origins and Legends fairs better than the other, they're pretty much equals in every way possible. I'm still hoping for them to announce the next Rayman game, regardless of it being another 2D or a brand 3D title.

Top Bottom