• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Sega
2nd Sonic Rep: 3/5 (if we get a second Rep for a third party Sonic will be the first one, until then mo-one has a chance.
Bayonetta: 0.5/5
Capcom
Resident Evil Rep: 1/5
2nd Mega Man Rep: 0/5
2nd Street Fighter Rep: 0/5
Monster Hunter Rep: 2/5 (if there was an obvious choice this would be pretty high)
Namco
2nd Pac-Man Rep: 0/5
Soul Calibar Rep: 0/5
Lloyd Irving: 1/5
Konami
Snake: 0/5 (With Kojima gone I don't think Sakurai would do it)
Simon Belmont: 2/5
Bomberman: 0.5/5
Ubisoft
Rayman: 3/5
Activision
Spyro: 3/5 (skylanders cross promotion yo, and the rumour that Activision are going to help with Amiibo stock, they'll want something in return!)
Square Enix
Final Fantasy Rep: 1/5
Sora: 0/5
Geno: 0/5 (I expect we'd get a costume or At though of any SE Rep gets in)
Agnes(Bravely Default): 0/5 (just not important enough)
Dragon Quest Rep: 4/5 (in my opinion the most likely scenario for another third party.. DQ is huge!)
Microsoft
Banjo Kazooie: 2/5 (if it wasn't Microsoft...)
Indie
Shantae: 1/5 (the only.one with a chance.in my opinion)
Shovel Knight: 0/5 (He'll be too knew in Japan by the time the DLC is ending let alone happening)

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Sega
2nd Sonic Rep: 3/5 (if we get a second Rep for a third party Sonic will be the first one, until then mo-one has a chance.
Bayonetta: 0.5/5
Capcom
Resident Evil Rep: 1/5
Monster Hunter Rep: 2/5 (if there was an obvious choice this would be pretty high)
Namco
Soul Calibar Rep: 0/5
Lloyd Irving: 1/5
Konami
Snake: 0/5 (With Kojima gone I don't think Sakurai would do it)
Bomberman: 0.5/5
Ubisoft
Rayman: 3/5
Activision
Spyro: 3/5 (skylanders cross promotion yo, and the rumour that Activision are going to help with Amiibo stock, they'll want something in return!)
Square Enix
Final Fantasy Rep: 1/5
Sora: 0/5
Geno: 0/5 (I expect we'd get a costume or At though of any SE Rep gets in)
Agnes(Bravely Default): 0/5 (just not important enough)
Dragon Quest Rep: 4/5 (in my opinion the most likely scenario for another third party.. DQ is huge!)
Microsoft
Banjo Kazooie: 2/5 (if it wasn't Microsoft...)
Indie
Shantae: 1/5 (the only.one with a chance.in my opinion)
Shovel Knight: 0/5 (He'll be too knew in Japan by the time the DLC is ending let alone happening)
Now that I think about it, Slime is certainly not outside the realm of possibility to appear in Smash.
He's one of the most iconic enemies from one of the most well known RPG series. Dragon Quest also happens to have alot of history on Nintendo hardware.
The only roadblock of having Slime in is that Dragon Quest isn't the most well known franchise in the West. That's it, really.
That said, I'm still rooting for Rayman since he's got a trophy and it just so happened that Nintendo published Rayman Legends in Japan.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
Speaking of which, what would you guys do if Rayman was announced for Smash DLC?
My part of my life would be complete.

Agreed.
That said, I REALLY don't want another Sonic character because it's such a waste on a valuable third party slot.
Besides, once a second Sonic character is announced, the whole Sonic fanbase will either **** on it for not being Shadow or they will start begging for a THIRD Sonic Rep.
I just feel there are characters out there who deserve it more. Rayman, Snake, Simon Belmont, etc. They should come first, not another Sonic character.
If I were to choose another Sonic character, however, it would go to either Tails or Eggman.
That's the last thing we need. Another Sonic character being playable and bringing its entire fanbase on us.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
In my completely biased opinion, Rayman is the most likely third party newcomer and arguably the most deserving of the slot.
  1. Rayman has been the iconic mascot of Ubisoft for 20 years now, so he's got longevity.
  2. Rayman has a TON of history on Nintendo hardware, with all of his platforming adventures having seen release on Nintendo hardware.
  3. In fact, Nintendo even went as far as publishing the Wii U version of Rayman Legends in Japan.
  4. The Rayman series as a whole received three trophies in Smash Wii U.
  5. Rayman has the potential to become one of the most unique fighters due to his lack of limbs.
A character this accomplished deserves to be in Smash. There's a reason why Rayman is the biggest third party thread on Smashboards.
I just really hope Sakurai puts him in. I never thought Rayman would've had a chance until the trophy, leak, and Smash Ballot came along.
Please Sakurai. Add Rayman as DLC.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I definitely feel like Rayman is the most likely newcomer as far as third parties go. While I think that Snake is more likely (it seems like he'd involve a lot less work, given that he's a veteran, and he's easily one of the most popular choices in general along with Ice Climbers and Wolf), Nintendo already has permission to use Rayman, and Ubisoft is a fairly major third party, particularly where Nintendo systems are concerned.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I've decided to narrow down which characters are in the running to make an appearance in Smash. From 0 to 5 (Least likely to most likely), I want you guys to quote my post and rate the following characters. Thank you!
Sega
2nd Sonic Rep:
Bayonetta:
Capcom
Resident Evil Rep:
2nd Mega Man Rep:
2nd Street Fighter Rep:
Monster Hunter Rep:
Namco
2nd Pac-Man Rep:
Soul Calibar Rep:
Lloyd Irving:
Konami
Snake:
Simon Belmont:
Bomberman:
Ubisoft
Rayman:
Square Enix
Final Fantasy Rep:
Sora:
Geno:
Agnes(Bravely Default): /5 who?
Microsoft
Banjo Kazooie:
Indie
Shantae:
Shovel Knight:
Commander Video:
Quote (Cave Story):
Sega
2nd Sonic Rep: 1/5
Bayonetta: 0/5 (her creator hate the idea)
Alex Kidd is the most deserving SEGA character after sonic and there is a lot of reasons why
Capcom
Resident Evil Rep: 0/5
Monster Hunter Rep: 0/5
Capcom has enough characters now
Namco
Soul Calibar Rep: 1/5
Lloyd Irving: 2/5
Dig-dug is the most deserving namco character after pac-man because he is arcade hero just like pac-man and he is very popular than most of namco characters
Konami
Snake: 4/5 ("muh friend)
Bomberman: 5/5 (he is actually the best 3rd party choise I have a high feeling that he is going to be in smash in the future)
Ubisoft
Rayman: 3/5 (rayman trophy helps his chances)
Square Enix
Final Fantasy Rep: 3/5
Sora: 0/5 (Disney wont make this thing easy to have)
Geno: 4/5 (duh he is the most requested square Enix character since brawl he even tied with Megaman in sakurai brawl poll other square Enix characters are way far a way from him even in japan he is the most requested square Enix character plus he is a part of Nintendo wich means he is the easiest square Enix character to get the right to use him)
Agnes(Bravely Default): ?/5 who?
Microsoft
Banjo Kazooie: 3/5 (he was already planned in melee and 64 and he is important part of Nintendo history)
Indie
Shantae: 1/5
Shovel Knight: 1/5
Commander Video: 0/5
Quote (Cave Story): 0/5
They are too new to be added if we are talking about a 3rd party the old gamer generation doesn't know them (from the 80s and 90s)

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Shantae: 1/5
Shovel Knight: 1/5
Commander Video: 0/5
Quote (Cave Story): 0/5
They are too new to be added if we are talking about a 3rd party the old gamer generation doesn't know them (from the 80s and 90s)

Why you do dis? :/

Just for a comparison:

Shovel Knight: 2014, one game title.
Commander Video: 2009, six titles. Three releasing in 2009, 2 releasing 2010, 1 releasing 2011, and the other
releasing 2013.
Quote: 2004, one game title.
Shantae: 2002, 3 game titles, with a fourth in development.

Of the two that stand out, It's definitely Commander Video, and Shantae.

Commander Video is fairly young, but have a few titles under his belt.
Shantae has 3 (with a fourth in development), but is the oldest, and arguably a cult classic..

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Thanks for telling me

"opinions" but this game is not from the 90s

Anyway back to rayman
Yes, but it's still old. You can't seriously tell me you would try to lump a Game boy color classic with those other recent bozos?...
As I have stated, the only reason Shantae is "obscure" (the thing all Shantae detractors like to use), is because her game released near the end of the Gameboy color's life, and thus, the supply ended up being limited.. Heck because of that bad luck, she wouldn't surface again until 2010 (Thats eight years :/), when she got a DSiWare sequel.. If you ask me, it's needless obscurity. Shantae may have debuted in 2002, but the console itself she debuted in is at least late 90s.. (1998) >_>

Either way, yes back to Rayman..

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Just out of curiosity, but....
Why does Rayman have the word "man" in his name, but looks nothing like one?
It's something I've noticed with Pac-Man and Mega Man.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Maybe it's just too easy to make a mascot name with something like that?

I mean we have Rayman, Pac-man, Megaman, Bomberman... SO MANY MANS XD

Anyways...

;_;

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Maybe it's just too easy to make a mascot name with something like that?

I mean we have Rayman, Pac-man, Megaman, Bomberman... SO MANY MANS XD

Anyways...

;_;
Also, you can't help but wonder if Ms. Pac-Man has an identity crisis given that she/he has the words "Ms." and "man" in her/his name.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I blame 80s/90s stigma of "Male > Female". There were way more "Man" characters than just the likes of those characters. There were some unknown video game characters with that stigmatic name, such as "Micro-Man", an old DOS game I played years ago on the computer in the 90s, "VectorMan" an old Sega game back in the 90s, and I'm sure there were plenty more. And this wasn't just a video game character thing, it's been done in media much much earlier, "Superman", "Batman", "Spiderman", etc. Even the likes of "Woman" or "Girl" characters were there just to show it wasn't all "Male" characters all the time, "Wonderwoman" "Batgirl", etc, to make it seem like it wasn't all male characters being made. Which goes into this comment;

Also, you can't help but wonder if Ms. Pac-Man has an identity crisis given that she/he has the words "Ms." and "man" in her/his name.
Although, fun fact, this character was not something officially made by Namco, Ms.Pac-Man was just a collection of Pac-Man games that were essentially rom hacks of it's time, and seeing how popular Ms. Pac-Man gotten, Namco ended up endorsing it as their own claim. But to the point of this, the "Man" thing of characters were moreso because of it just can be a "standard" stigma to make into a characters name back in the day, even for Mario (Jumpman), most likely because of that moment in time that "Man" was greater/superior than "Woman", hence why, even to this day, there are more male protagonists than female ones, and why nearly all mascot characters are male than female.

tl;dr, it's just something based on old beliefs of males being more of the "hero type" than females, hence characters having the "Man" part in their names.

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
Rayman was named Rayman after the technology they used to makes his sprites. I believe it was called Rayvectoring or somehting along those lines.

Be happy he's called Rayman though. He was originally being called "Billy" and the Glade was about to be called "Hereitscool"

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Rayman was named Rayman after the technology they used to makes his sprites. I believe it was called Rayvectoring or somehting along those lines.

Be happy he's called Rayman though. He was originally being called "Billy" and the Glade was about to be called "Hereitscool"
Billy huh? I wonder if he could slay evil oceans or fight bears?...

But yeah. Rayman is much better XD

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

... I was aware he got the "Ray" in his name because of the programming he was programmed with...

But I wasn't aware of that other part....what?

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Here's something pretty cool.
https://www.facebook.com/notes/rayman/rayman-fan-spotlight-raygirl/919831834722536
They're going to be doing interviews with certain Rayman fans, we have Raygirl this week. You know that picture of the Originized Ly, that's her work.

I thought it was Jimmy.
Mother of God.
She REALLY is a Rayman superfan!
I just found it kinda strange, however, that Rayman 2 is her favorite Rayman game, but she prefers Betilla over Ly.
Dat collection, tho.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Well I added Combat Potential sections to all Notable campaign sections, including Ray's.

Does this sound about right?

"Combat potential: The fact he has no limbs means he has range normally impossible for your average fighter. His fists and kicks have long reach, and he is also capable of shooting energy balls! Did I mention he can also fly with his helicopter hair?.. He has also had access to laser-washing powders (Also known as "Laser Detergent SuperPowers". Weird name, I now XD). These allow Ray to use Lockjaws, Shock rockets, Heavy metal fists, and a number of other abilities. All this in mind, Rayman is a very adept fighter."

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Well I added Combat Potential sections to all Notable campaign sections, including Ray's.

"Combat potential: The fact he has no limbs means he has range normally impossible for your average fighter. His fists and kicks have long reach, and he is also capable of shooting energy balls! Did I mention he can also fly with his helicopter hair?.. He has also had access to laser-washing powders (Also known as "Laser Detergent SuperPowers". Weird name, I now XD). These allow Ray to use Lockjaws, Shock rockets, Heavy metal fists, and a number of other abilities. All this in mind, Rayman is a very adept fighter."
That describes Rayman pretty nicely.
I mean, it's abundantly clear Rayman is unlike any other character out there.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Mother of God.
She REALLY is a Rayman superfan!
I just found it kinda strange, however, that Rayman 2 is her favorite Rayman game, but she prefers Betilla over Ly.
Dat collection, tho.
Well, her reasoning was, Ly runs a lot. I guess she's not the athletic type.

Although, that does make for a weird comparison for why I like Ly, with Sonic being one of my childhood likes, who runs a lot...

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
So, how many more third party characters do you guys think we'll get as DLC?
Personally, I could see 2 more third party characters being added.
Please let it be Rayman.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

I like it! Describes Rayman's potential very well.
So, how many more third party characters do you guys think we'll get as DLC?
Personally, I could see 2 more third party characters being added.
Please let it be Rayman.
Considering Nintendo said any video game character was eligible for the ballot, I'm thinking were going to get at least one more third party DLC character.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
... I was aware he got the "Ray" in his name because of the programming he was programmed with...

But I wasn't aware of that other part....what?
I remember it was called "Ray tracing" the method they used for him and the backgrounds I think,

And about the original concept of him being a kid called Jimmy that turned into Rayman in "Hereitscool" was shown in a pretty old article:
jimmy.jpg

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I remember it was called "Ray tracing" the method they used for him and the backgrounds I think,

And about the original concept of him being a kid called Jimmy that turned into Rayman in "Hereitscool" was shown in a pretty old article:
View attachment 58339
So, 3D like programing? That's what you can use in Blender, Raytracing.

upload_2015-6-24_18-17-8.png

So it may be something involving depth or lighting, to make things pop out more I guess.

Also, it's a good thing no one ever cares about the manuals....cause I'm glad that concept got scrapped...

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104

View attachment 58339
Looking at this, it's almost weird to think that Rayman was going to be a computer geek when his final game ended up having a fantasy setting.
The More You Know.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

So, 3D like programing? That's what you can use in Blender, Raytracing.

View attachment 58340

So it may be something involving depth or lighting, to make things pop out more I guess.

Also, it's a good thing no one ever cares about the manuals....cause I'm glad that concept got scrapped...
I agree, ._. Good thing that it was never implemented...

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I agree, ._. Good thing that it was never implemented...
Meh, I doubt it was even something Ubisoft did seriously themselves, as Mario Bros 1 concept of all the Toads got turned into the block in the game have never been taken seriously by Nintendo, they never acknowledge that. But yeah, glad it was forgotten.

But thinking about the Raytraing thing, that may explain how Rayman 2 (the beta version) had some 3D like elements adding into it, maybe that had something to do with that whole thing program wise.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Okay, I'm so glad that original concept got shot down. It's just... really bizarre how that could have been a thing.

AndreaAC

Meh, I doubt it was even something Ubisoft did seriously themselves, as Mario Bros 1 concept of all the Toads got turned into the block in the game have never been taken seriously by Nintendo, they never acknowledge that. But yeah, glad it was forgotten.

But thinking about the Raytraing thing, that may explain how Rayman 2 (the beta version) had some 3D like elements adding into it, maybe that had something to do with that whole thing program wise.
Well, it was a wierd concept indeed, but, it may gave the idea that Rayman in the first game is 10 years old, in 2 he could be 13 years old and in 3 he could be around 16, explaining the phase he seems to have there.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Well, it was a wierd concept indeed, but, it may gave the idea that Rayman in the first game is 10 years old, in 2 he could be 13 years old and in 3 he could be around 16, explaining the phase he seems to have there.
That's one way to look at that, good point. Although that voice of his still doesn't help his case in that game, imo...

AndreaAC

That's one way to look at that, good point. Although that voice of his still doesn't help his case in that game, imo...
._. Oh, right...that voice...neh, I will just toss that out the window and imagine him with a more fitting voice, a kid's voice.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
._. Oh, right...that voice...neh, I will just toss that out the window and imagine him with a more fitting voice, a kid's voice.
Well, it was never acknowledge after that game, his R2 voice sounds reasonably "younger" than it is in R1, so, go ahead. xD

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Okay, I'm so glad that original concept got shot down. It's just... really bizarre how that could have been a thing.
Same.
I mean, the original concept seemed like it was trying too hard to mimic the swagger and edginess of Sonic.
Especially when your world is named "Hereitscool".

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Same.
I mean, the original concept seemed like it was trying too hard to mimic the swagger and edginess of Sonic.
Especially when your world is named "Hereitscool".
Well, if you mean Classic Sonic games, than maybe?>

Also.... "Here, it's cool"... I just caught that...

Top Bottom