• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
The entire personality of Origins was jarring to me.. I mean.. Globox and Rayman hitting "that statue boss" like *******.. or hitting both of them, and that scene in the trailer.. I like the game but the change of his personality was shocking for me.
Well, since it was implied that things were, for the most part, the "Origins" story of Rayman (which world explain all the classic mooks and characters like Betilla), that story was scrapped and became it's own game afterward. But even then, I'd still want Rayman 3 Rayman, as his sarcastic personality is what I fell in love with when I played R3...

Last edited:

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663
Well, since it was implied that things were, for the most part, the "Origins" story of Rayman (which world explain all the classic mooks and characters like Betilla), that story was scrapped and became it's own game afterward. But even then, I'd still want Rayman 3 Rayman, as his sarcastic personality is what I fell in love with when I played R3...
Totally agreed with that.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
But even so, if there's one thing I wish they would bring back if they wanted to bring back some classic characters and such...Please, I want Ly to come back...she was the one character who really stood out to me in R2, since she helped you and how close she was to Rayman as a mentor in a way and as implied from the creator in illustrations, Rayman's love interest as well. Although that's not needed to be apart of the games story or so, I'd still want her to be alongside Rayman on his adventures, honestly...

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Yeah, I agree as well, that's why I don't like his Origins/Legends design and let's say, portrayal. Also:

This is supposedly a panel from a brazilian comic (from a game magazine, I suppose), and you can see almost every well known videogame character.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Yeah, I agree as well, that's why I don't like his Origins/Legends design and let's say, portrayal. Also:

This is supposedly a panel from a brazilian comic (from a game magazine, I suppose), and you can see almost every well known videogame character.
They even have the Lemmings, of all characters. But no Mario though...how odd... But anyways, nice find, I like how funny these look.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Going from Rayman's personality in Rayman 3 to Origins wasn't that jarring to me, if anything the transition from Rayman as a nice guy who wants to live a peaceful life but will help anyone in danger to the sarcastic wit of R3 was more jarring.

Rayman doesn't actually talk in Origins, so there's not really much of anything to go by for personality, only his movements give off any sort of mannerisms. He's a little more hunched over than usual, but he stands up straight if you leave him idle.

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
Wait, what are we talking about now? I didn't get any notifications from this in a while, what's going on?
Going from Rayman's personality in Rayman 3 to Origins wasn't that jarring to me, if anything the transition from Rayman as a nice guy who wants to live a peaceful life but will help anyone in danger to the sarcastic wit of R3 was more jarring.

Rayman doesn't actually talk in Origins, so there's not really much of anything to go by for personality, only his movements give off any sort of mannerisms. He's a little more hunched over than usual, but he stands up straight if you leave him idle.
Rayman 3's Rayman is my favorite. Maybe because that was my first game in the series...

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
So, I know this isn't the place to talk about it, but Konami is going through some MASSIVE changes. So massive, in fact, it could affect Snake's chances of returning. Here's what's happened to Konami so far:
  1. Kojima is leaving after MGSV.
  2. Kojima Studios has been renamed to Konami Digital Entertainment.
  3. Silent Hills has been CANCELLED. The team-up of Kojima, Del Toro, and Reedus is no more.
  4. Konami has delisted itself from the NYSE.
If Snake can't get in because of all this, then I'm pretty disappointed.
That said, I hope Rayman can fill that void.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
>_> um...so I was looking around tumblr again, and I found some old advertisement for the dreamcast version of Rayman 2:
Gotta say, if R3 advertisements were a bit...wierd, this is worst. This is NOT a good way to advertise multiplayer...
That's a Baby Globox.
A BABY GLOBOX!
Why??
View attachment 49233
Done out of boredom. Hope you like it.
Awesome work, love how you draw Ly.

As for that topic on Rayman's personality, 3 is my personal favorite version of the character. But I didn't mind stupid Rayman, as a backstory. If he stayed stupid when they changed Origins' story, I would be annoyed, but in current version, he's just a simple guy who is dedicated to his job while having fun.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
That's a Baby Globox.
A BABY GLOBOX!
Why??

Awesome work, love how you draw Ly.

As for that topic on Rayman's personality, 3 is my personal favorite version of the character. But I didn't mind stupid Rayman, as a backstory. If he stayed stupid when they changed Origins' story, I would be annoyed, but in current version, he's just a simple guy who is dedicated to his job while having fun.
:3 Thank you, glad you like how I drew her. ^u^

And well, yeah, I agree. If he isn't as bad as he seemed in Origins with that, then that's a plus at least...but still, I just love R3 Ray the most...

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
:3 Thank you, glad you like how I drew her. ^u^

And well, yeah, I agree. If he isn't as bad as he seemed in Origins with that, then that's a plus at least...but still, I just love R3 Ray the most...
Out of curiosity, if you weren't too keen on Rayman's backstory in the original version of Legends, what would be your ideal Rayman backstory?

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Out of curiosity, if you weren't too keen on Rayman's backstory in the original version of Legends, what would be your ideal Rayman backstory?
This is a bit on the spoiler side but anyways.

[collapse="Spoilers"]
Tbh, I'm not entirely sure exactly what could happen. But the few things I'd like to have happened if something that more or less continued from the events of Rayman 3. If I'm getting it right, Andre get's turned back to a Black Lum at the end of the game (and judging that Rayman: Hoodlum's Revenge existed I assume he was). What I would have liked if Rayman 4 expanded from that point, but went back to a more darker tone akin to Rayman 2 or so, and to add to that, maybe Razorbeard could have been brought back and maybe have ending up teaming up with Andre as the main villains of the game. That way we could get a mix of what Rayman 2 and 3 had to offer and have a game based around the Hunchmen and the Black Lums/Hoodlums. And other characters like Ly and other R2 characters could have made a proper return to the series. That's something I always would have love to see happen, even if that seems like a pipe dream at the time of R3. Sadly, it seems that is the case.[/collapse]

I honestly don't hate the Origins/Legends story, but I just wish for something else. And with R1 aesthetics like Betilla and the classic level design and mooks here and there, I'd love to see more from the classic trilogy come back to the series, mainly some of my favorite characters and story depth that Rayman 2 does indeed have good about the series, imo.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

winds.jpg

Rayman in a rainstorm, based from the scenary of the "Balloons" minigame from R3.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
This is a bit on the spoiler side but anyways.

[collapse="Spoilers"]
Tbh, I'm not entirely sure exactly what could happen. But the few things I'd like to have happened if something that more or less continued from the events of Rayman 3. If I'm getting it right, Andre get's turned back to a Black Lum at the end of the game (and judging that Rayman: Hoodlum's Revenge existed I assume he was). What I would have liked if Rayman 4 expanded from that point, but went back to a more darker tone akin to Rayman 2 or so, and to add to that, maybe Razorbeard could have been brought back and maybe have ending up teaming up with Andre as the main villains of the game. That way we could get a mix of what Rayman 2 and 3 had to offer and have a game based around the Hunchmen and the Black Lums/Hoodlums. And other characters like Ly and other R2 characters could have made a proper return to the series. That's something I always would have love to see happen, even if that seems like a pipe dream at the time of R3. Sadly, it seems that is the case.[/collapse]

I honestly don't hate the Origins/Legends story, but I just wish for something else. And with R1 aesthetics like Betilla and the classic level design and mooks here and there, I'd love to see more from the classic trilogy come back to the series, mainly some of my favorite characters and story depth that Rayman 2 does indeed have good about the series, imo.
I agree, the Rayman series does have a bad habit of forgetting everything from the previous game, inconsistent continuity is a pet peeve of mine.

Though it's funny you mention Andre coming back, in the original version of RRR, he was going to make an appearance.
View attachment 49239

Rayman in a rainstorm, based from the scenary of the "Balloons" minigame from R3.
I can't say this enough, I love your artwork.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I agree, the Rayman series does have a bad habit of forgetting everything from the previous game, inconsistent continuity is a pet peeve of mine.

Though it's funny you mention Andre coming back, in the original version of RRR, he was going to make an appearance.

Well, weren't the Black Lums actually brought back? Cause that's why I thought he was back in the game until I played it for myself.

AndreaAC

God damn, that's beautiful... I freaking love the lighting in this drawing...

Thank you. :) I'm glad to hear that.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Mostly likely, although I believe they showed them off in trailers before as well when the game was being developed. But because of them, I thought Andre came back, but nope he didn't.
I don't recall seeing Black Lums in the old RRR trailers, I do recall Teensies though.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Huh, I never saw the Black Lums in the old Origins trailer, not sure if they're there.
I've done some checking and it might have been these creatures I saw and first thought they were Black Lums.

When I first saw these things before in trailers, I must of thought of them as Black Lums in this new style at first. But playing the game I realized that they weren't them.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I've done some checking and it might have been these creatures I saw and first thought they were Black Lums.

When I first saw these things before in trailers, I must of thought of them as Black Lums in this new style at first. But playing the game I realized that they weren't them.
Oh, okay.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
So, I know this isn't the place to talk about it, but Konami is going through some MASSIVE changes. So massive, in fact, it could affect Snake's chances of returning. Here's what's happened to Konami so far:
  1. Kojima is leaving after MGSV.
  2. Kojima Studios has been renamed to Konami Digital Entertainment.
  3. Silent Hills has been CANCELLED. The team-up of Kojima, Del Toro, and Reedus is no more.
  4. Konami has delisted itself from the NYSE.
If Snake can't get in because of all this, then I'm pretty disappointed.
That said, I hope Rayman can fill that void.
I have a feeling that Snake may not be coming back at all given by these recent news. Besides, it's high time he passed the torch down to our limbless hero eventually.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I have a feeling that Snake may not be coming back at all given by these recent news. Besides, it's high time he passed the torch down to our limbless hero eventually.
I don't know about that - a lot of those points also applied to Mega Man (one of his creators leaving Capcom, multiple games being cancelled, many developers (including Capcom, Namco-Bandai, Square-Enix, and Ubisoft) aren't listed on the New York Stock Exchange either), and he still made it into Smash Bros. Besides, why can't we have both of them?

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Snake getting in isn't going to stop Rayman getting in, and there is no "torch" to pass.

I won't give up on Snake, not yet. They'll both get in, just believe in it.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Snake getting in isn't going to stop Rayman getting in, and there is no "torch" to pass.

I won't give up on Snake, not yet. They'll both get in, just believe in it.
If only Ryu didn't come along.....
Yes, I know it's a rumor, but it's highly plausible. It's extremely unlikely that we're going to get three third parties.
That's why everyone is treating as if it's one or the other. In this case, it would be either Snake or Rayman. I know Sakurai wants to please the fans with the DLC, but him going as far as adding three third party characters remains the burning question.
I want both, but getting those two AND Ryu? That's a pipedream.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
If only Ryu didn't come along.....
Yes, I know it's a rumor, but it's highly plausible. It's extremely unlikely that we're going to get three third parties.
That's why everyone is treating as if it's one or the other. In this case, it would be either Snake or Rayman. I know Sakurai wants to please the fans with the DLC, but him going as far as adding three third party characters remains the burning question.
I want both, but getting those two AND Ryu? That's a pipedream.
Ryu actually makes it more likely, why on earth can't we get more third parties? Snake and Rayman are both high on the ballot.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Ryu actually makes it more likely, why on earth can't we get more third parties? Snake and Rayman are both high on the ballot.
It's the fact that Sakurai is so gosh darn picky when it comes to choosing third parties. His classification of "special" is different from ours.
I'm telling you, if he adds another Sonic character over those two gaming legends, that would be a huge missed opportunity.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
So Scott Cawthon apparently can make four Five Nights at Freddy's games within a year and a half, but Ubisoft can't even make Rayman 4?

That's sad.:troll:

Top Bottom