• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

louie g

Smash Journeyman
I tried to draw Rayman not too long ago but ended up getting frustrated because I'm too picky about how I want it to look.

So I just went back to my... usual artwork.
Being picky about your work is totally natural bro, believe me.

No artist is truly satisfied with their work, it's really rare for a drawing to come out exactly the way someone wants it to, but it also helps you learn proportions, and other things too. (not saying I'm an artist though, I just sketch nerdy stuff)

Don't let pickyness discourage you!

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

No artist is truly satisfied with their work, it's really rare for a drawing to come out exactly the way someone wants it to, but it also helps you learn proportions, and other things too. (not saying I'm an artist though, I just sketch nerdy stuff)
This. This is me.

And hush you, you draw, therefor you are an artist to me. :)

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

Don't let pickyness discourage you!
It's more an issue with Rayman himself. He's so simple yet so complicated from a realistic perspective.

I usually get something I'm pleased with after just a few trees...

louie g

Smash Journeyman
It's more an issue with Rayman himself. He's so simple yet so complicated from a realistic perspective.

I usually get something I'm pleased with after just a few trees...
I agree with you, the way I look at him is that he's made up with a bunch of shapes, but since his body parts linger around, it can be weird to tell which shoe is the left/right one, and stuff. Practice makes perfect!

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I agree with you, the way I look at him is that he's made up with a bunch of shapes, but since his body parts linger around, it can be weird to tell which shoe is the left/right one, and stuff. Practice makes perfect!
Took the words out of my mouth. :) Keep on trying to improve.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
His head is always the hardest part, trying to picture it at different angles, getting the hair right, etc.

I could draw headless Rayman all day. . . Now I know what to do for Halloween.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
His head is always the hardest part, trying to picture it at different angles, getting the hair right, etc.

Although you don't like R3 Rayman design, do you want some examples I could share with you?

louie g

Smash Journeyman

Whoa, hey man, I scare easily aight?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Although you don't like R3 Rayman design, do you want some examples I could share with you?
I like the Rayman 3 design, it's just my least favorite of the bunch. Though it is similar to his new design, it's the small details...
Mostly the shoes and attitude.

Sure, got any good views of that big nose of his?
Whoa, hey man, I scare easily aight?
I was just thinking of something like the Headless HorseRay.

...Actually, I drew a Rayman themed picture for Halloween once, I wonder if I could dig it up...

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Oh man, I actually found the old picture. It was on PhotoBucket, I haven't used that in ages.

I even found a lot of my older pictures and my Smash rosters from speculation days, man...

I'm also reminded of how hard it is to draw Globox for whatever reason. Teensies are so fun to draw though.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I wish all of you guys a good night.

You know, with each passing day, I can feel that this thread is getting bigger and stronger. I mean, as of right now, we are at 131 pages, which is a 100 page increase since the fake leak had occurred. That's AMAZING. I don't think many character threads can brag that they've got to experience such growth.

We're going to get through this, guys. For his birthday, we're fighting for Rayman to join the melting pot of all video games; Smash.

Until then;
#KeepOnFighting

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

You know, with each passing day, I can feel that this thread is getting bigger and stronger. UImean, as of right now, we are at 131 pages, which is a 100 page increase since the fake leak had occurred. That's AMAZING. I don't think many character threads can brag that they've got to experience such growth.

We're going to get through this, guys. For his birthday, we're fighting for Rayman to join the melting pot of all video games; Smash.

Until then;
#KeepOnFighting
G'Night.

louie g

Smash Journeyman

You know, with each passing day, I can feel that this thread is getting bigger and stronger. UImean, as of right now, we are at 131 pages, which is a 100 page increase since the fake leak had occurred. That's AMAZING. I don't think many character threads can brag that they've got to experience such growth.

Until then;
#KeepOnFighting
Night, Dwight!

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
All these awesome drawings are a reminder that I promised myself to improve my drawing skills two months ago... oh well, maybe I'll try this week. Hopefully I'm going to do it today <_<

I remember I wrote about the possibility of a 3D Rayman, what are your hopes to eventually see one? I believe the 2D platformer genre was mostly overlooked by the maintream before being put back to the spotlight mostly thanks to indies, then bigger studios started to support it with Nintendo continuing the New Super Mario Bros. series and reviving Donkey Kong Country, and of course Ubisoft putting Rayman back to the spotlight in the platformer genre with Origins. With nostalgia towards 3D platformers from the Nintendo 64 era inciting indie studios to create games like Lobodestroyo, A Hat in Time and Project Ukulele, could we hope a resurgence of the genre's interest outside of a niche market, and Rayman to be one of the ambassadors of its return to the mainstream? Well, only time will tell I guess.

And completely off-topic though:

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
All these awesome drawings are a reminder that I promised myself to improve my drawing skills two months ago... oh well, maybe I'll try this week. Hopefully I'm going to do it today <_<

I remember I wrote about the possibility of a 3D Rayman sooner, what are your hopes to eventually see one? I believe the 2D platformer genre was mostly overloked by the maintream before being put back to the spotlight mostly thanks to indies, then bigger studios started to support it with Nintendo making more New Super Mario Bros. series and reviving Donkey Kong Country, and of course Ubisoft putting Rayman back to the spotlight in the platformer genre with Origins. With nostalgia towards 3D platformers from the Nintendo 64 era inciting indie studios to create games like Lobodestroyo, A Hat in Time and Project Ukulele, could we hope a resurgence of the genre's interest outside of a niche market, and Rayman to be one of the ambassadors of its return to the mainstream? Well, only time will tell I guess.

I reckon there'll be one now that they've talked about NX and mobile stuff.
Though NX won't be talked about until next year.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I've been dying for 3D platformers for years. Like, an actual collectathon, run whichever way you like 3D platformer.

All we get nowadays is point A to point B... I miss the exploration, something I only get from Zelda, which isn't a platformer.

The last good platformer I played in this style was Vexx, all the way on the PS2. So sad what happened there.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

I remember I wrote about the possibility of a 3D Rayman sooner, what are your hopes to eventually see one? I believe the 2D platformer genre was mostly overloked by the maintream before being put back to the spotlight mostly thanks to indies, then bigger studios started to support it with Nintendo continuing the New Super Mario Bros. series and reviving Donkey Kong Country, and of course Ubisoft putting Rayman back to the spotlight in the platformer genre with Origins. With nostalgia towards 3D platformers from the Nintendo 64 era inciting indie studios to create games like Lobodestroyo, A Hat in Time and Project Ukulele, could we hope a resurgence of the genre's interest outside of a niche market, and Rayman to be one of the ambassadors of its return to the mainstream? Well, only time will tell I guess.

Well, first, I wish you the best of luck with your drawings, I'd love to see your work.

Second, anything that continues with the R2 story-like atmosphere and R3 design and style, imo, and call it Rayman 4, then we're all good.

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663
If this year is the anniversary, the game should be coming this year. Rayman Legends came 2 years ago (2 years after Origins). Do you think they had time to make a 3D game? I hope it's a 3D game and with story and not minigames style.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
If this year is the anniversary, the game should be coming this year. Rayman Legends came 2 years ago (2 years after Origins). Do you think they had time to make a 3D game? I hope it's a 3D game and with story and not minigames style.
Well... Maybe...

I hope so, even though I wouldn't be surprised if it was another 2D one like O/L. But I hope for a 3D game, a consolidation of R2 and R3. Rayman 4

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
While I absolutely want a 3D Rayman that takes the best elements of R2 and R3 while doing its own thing, I think another 2D game is more likely, though I'm curious as to how they would push the UbiArt Framework to make it look distinct from the last two.

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663
If is a 2D Game I would like to see what does it special to be announced for his 20th anniversary. (This can be said for a 3D game too.)

Last edited:
Who cares about a game I want smash DLC :troll:

in all fairness I would prefer a 3d rayman like 2 (my favorite) but i expect another 2d one which will still probably great.

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663
Maybe I'm nostalgic, but Origins and Legends doesn't have the story I like (obviously, a platformer doesn't always have a good story), I love them, playing them is fun. But when I play them, I think in the Rayman 2 Story and.. how is it possible?

Also, I need Rayman 4 smash, plox.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I remember I wrote about the possibility of a 3D Rayman, what are your hopes to eventually see one? I believe the 2D platformer genre was mostly overlooked by the maintream before being put back to the spotlight mostly thanks to indies, then bigger studios started to support it with Nintendo continuing the New Super Mario Bros. series and reviving Donkey Kong Country, and of course Ubisoft putting Rayman back to the spotlight in the platformer genre with Origins. With nostalgia towards 3D platformers from the Nintendo 64 era inciting indie studios to create games like Lobodestroyo, A Hat in Time and Project Ukulele, could we hope a resurgence of the genre's interest outside of a niche market, and Rayman to be one of the ambassadors of its return to the mainstream? Well, only time will tell I guess.
I hope we get a 3D Rayman soon, 3D platformers are something we need more of. The only big ones on the market currently are Mario and Sonic.

However, with that cancelled prototype, I'm not too sure. :(

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
The guys at Playtonic had said that they just dropped everything in the middle of last year before they even got off the idea stage.

Look where we are now, glorious Ukelele.
So looking forward to that game, it may be the first kickstarter I'll donate to. As I said before, it's great to see another 3D platformer. Here's hoping it comes to Wii U. Hope we get a Conker spiritual successor of sorts in the future.

Can we start a project ukulele support thread if it comes to wii U? so hyped for that.

uhh I mean venasaur rayman

maybe rayman will follow suit and go 3d. right guys? right? I wonder how a collectathon rayman game would even work. the games have pretty much been linear so far. I could see his abilities translating very well if unlikely.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Rayman 1 and 2 had collectathon elements, actually. Backtracking for stuff, getting all the lums/cages. Even though I far prefer wide open games to linear ones... That's one of the main reasons R3 isn't my favorite, they dropped those elements.

I would want the Ukelele guys in Smash 100% but Nintendo would have to buy them/Playtonic...

Last edited:
Top Bottom