• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Ye i know falco fox and wolf are semi clones. (But remind falco was 100% clone back in melee and in project m)
(And problem B tell it to the triple landmasters buddy)
Wolf isn't even a semi-clone, as I stated before. Yes, Falco was a clone back in Melee and now he's a semi-clone. Trust me, noone liked having three of the same Final Smash, being a land master. Noone likes having three Light Arrow (Zelda, Sheik, and Dark Pit) and I'm sure that noone is going to like having three Critical Hit Final Smashes (Marth, Lucina, and Roy)

And no roy is going to be a semi clone this time. Did you forget roys up B works differently than marths (a combo)
I literally just watched a side-by-side comparison with Marth and Roy. The only difference is lack of invincibility frames and different knockback mechanincs. Oh, and fire. Woo-hoo... Also, there is no way whatsoever to be able to say that he's going to be a semi-clone. Sakurai wouldn't go through the trouble for that.

Neutral is most likely to stay the same as melee, (marth is now a stab charge vs a slash charge)

And a little fire gets added to all of the other attacks.

I called that different from marth.
Using that logic, Dark Pit is completely unique because Pit's Upperdash Arm involves fire and Dark Pit's Elctroshock Arm uses electricity. Dr. Mario is also completely unique because he's a doctor, and Lucina because she's a female.

(Besides i know why your trying to shoot me out i say your vote for roy, you gave him a weasly 20% chance and 0% want (i think it was 0) so your trying to in my opinion commence me roy is not coming.)
Clearly you got too much salt in your eyes, because you certainly didn't actually read my reasonings. Here you go:
Chance: 20%
- The chance score is not at all related to the sound file leaks. They may be there, but we don't know exactly what they mean. It could be trash files, it could be preperation for implementation. We don't know for sure.
And yes, my want score was 0% because we don't need Roy. I'd be all for him if Lucina was an alternate skin, but we don't need three Marths, nor do we need five Fire Emblem reps. For me, there is just too much stuff against him. Sorry.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Personally, I wouldn't be against Roy IF they Luigified him significantly. Make Roy noticabley different from Marth and Lucina in terms of play and I'd be fine with him in. We don't need two Marth clones in the same game.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
And that's were decloning comes in to play.
Decloning just doesn't seem too likely. Granted, I'd much rather like to see a decloned version of Roy rather than have a Marth Trio, but I'd still find it appauling to see Fire Emblem get as many reps as the Legend of Zelda, and more reps than that of Star Fox, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Metroid, etc.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Decloning just doesn't seem too likely. Granted, I'd much rather like to see a decloned version of Roy rather than have a Marth Trio, but I'd still find it appauling to see Fire Emblem get as many reps as the Legend of Zelda, and more reps than that of Star Fox, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Metroid, etc.
I don't see why Sakurai would change Falco and Ganondorf for free and then sell a fully cloned Roy as paid DLC. It makes no sense whatsoever.

FE is a series on the rise though, that's what people forget. LoZ is bound to get a rep in the Smash Ballot seeing as Sakurai said he's going to make as much DLC as possible (i'm thinking it will be Impa but who knows). Star Fox is getting Wolf, DK is getting K. Rool, and Metroid doesn't have many popular reps other than Ridley whom we already know is a very controversial topic.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
I find this statement of "Roy is popular with the Western fanbase, just not with those obsess over stats" to be opinionated and lacking in evidence.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I find this statement of "Roy is popular with the Western fanbase, just not with those obsess over stats" to be opinionated and lacking in evidence.
It's mostly the Japanese fanbase that likes his game but then theirs a good number of Western fans such as myself that enjoyed FE6. A Japanese website that rated all the FE games rated it 2nd best only behind FE4.

Some people think it's impossible to like a character if their stats are lacking. Leif is also prone to getting hate from the fanbase only on a lesser extent because he hasn't been in Smash before.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Besides having your amount of characters being roughly proportional to the sales or success of your franchise, is there any good reason to give a pegasus's ass about Fire Emblem getting 5 characters? That amount is on par with Zelda and it really only pushes 1-2 characters away from being a cause for alarm.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Not only that but FE has almost been around as long as LoZ has been. It's not a huge deal really. LoZ is bound to get a DLC rep whether it be Impa, YLink, or a more faithful Ganon(dorf).

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
It's mostly the Japanese fanbase that likes his game but then theirs a good number of Western fans such as myself that enjoyed FE6. A Japanese website that rated all the FE games rated it 2nd best only behind FE4.

Some people think it's impossible to like a character if their stats are lacking. Leif is also prone to getting hate from the fanbase only on a lesser extent because he hasn't been in Smash before.
2nd favorite game or 2nd best in sales? If I recalled correctly, Mystery of the Emblem is actually the highest selling Japan only Fire Emblem game.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
2nd favorite game or 2nd best in sales? If I recalled correctly, Mystery of the Emblem is actually the highest selling Japan only Fire Emblem game.
It was on a Japanese site that reviewed most of the games in the series. It had nothing to do with sales.

The only game that had a higher rating than it was FE4.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Roy
Chance: 100%. With the uncovering of the sound file, he seems like a shoe in to me. He's also a higly requested veteran.

Want:100%. He's our BOY! I love him.

Predictions:
Ridley -40%

Nominate RH character X5

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
FE is a series on the rise though, that's what people forget. LoZ is bound to get a rep in the Smash Ballot seeing as Sakurai said he's going to make as much DLC as possible (i'm thinking it will be Impa but who knows). Star Fox is getting Wolf, DK is getting K. Rool, and Metroid doesn't have many popular reps other than Ridley whom we already know is a very controversial topic.
There is no guarantee that we'll be getting Impa (Although I prefer Midna and Wolf Link/Shadow Wolf), King K. Rool, or Wolf for that matter. That is one thing I wish people would get into their heads. Just because "Oh, well, Roy and Ryu have sound files, so their confirmed" and "Well, Lucas got in, so Wolf is practically a shoe-in" does not mean a damn thing, and we don't know a damn thing until we get actual confirmation.

Fire Emblem certainly is a series on the rise, I won't deny that, but it still isn't near The Legend of Zelda. I've always placed the 'Perfect Attendance 8' (:mario64::dk64::link64::samus64::yoshi64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64:) and their series above others though.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There is no guarantee that we'll be getting Impa (Although I prefer Midna and Wolf Link/Shadow Wolf), King K. Rool, or Wolf for that matter. That is one thing I wish people would get into their heads. Just because "Oh, well, Roy and Ryu have sound files, so their confirmed" and "Well, Lucas got in, so Wolf is practically a shoe-in" does not mean a damn thing, and we don't know a damn thing until we get actual confirmation.

Fire Emblem certainly is a series on the rise, I won't deny that, but it still isn't near The Legend of Zelda. I've always placed the 'Perfect Attendance 8' (:mario64::dk64::link64::samus64::yoshi64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64:) and their series above others though.
Wolf is like the top requested veteran ATM. Him not getting in would be heart breaking for a huge number of fans.

I don't think I agree with the "perfect attendance 8 (or 12)" thing. Most of those series are inactive or done.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Roy
Chance: 99%
He's in, I think the leak is legit.
Want 100%
He's my boy.

Ridley
12.12% Chance

Nominating Rhythm Heaven Character x 5

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
:4roy:Chance: 100%
Why are we rating someone who's already playable?

Ok ok. :roymelee: Chance: 50%
There's a file. Ok. But there's no saying that it's final. The idea for Roy (and Ryu but that's not today) could be scrapped at any time.

Want: 0%
I loved Roy. I mained him in Melee. I wanted him back in Brawl. I wanted him in this game. I was sad when Lucina "replaced" him. That being said, keep him out. As one of my favorite youtubers once said
"There's already enough Fire Emblem crap in Smash Bros."

Ridley Predictions (not like he was deconfirmed or anything:facepalm:): 2%

Nominations:
9-Volt x5 (I'm really still the only one nominating him?)

FancySmash

Smash Lord
It's all "Roy's our boy" jokes vs. "we already have :4roy:" jokes around here.
So, here's a joke picture. I picked the two characters (yes, including Roy) that honestly have the most controversy around them. Something tells me they'd get along fine for that reason. :lol:
RoyDarkPit.png

Sorry if this isn't your cup of tea.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Ridley Predictions (not like he was deconfirmed or anything:facepalm:): 2%
Sakurai does so much crazy **** that it's hard to really say anything about the man's opinions. From most of the lists I've found, Ridley is either third or fourth in first-party wants for Smash for WiiU and 3DS, as well; if that many people want him playable, then Nintendo will do it for the profit they could have as well as showing that they do care about the fans. The top contenders I've seen consistently are:
  • King K.Rool in the lead.
  • Krystal taking silver.
  • Ridley getting bronze.
  • Dixie Kong just falling short.
  • Paper Mario at the bottom of the top 5.
'Course, that'd just cause the entire site to explode if we got Ridley and K.Rool at the same time. We all tend to forget that Nintendo has the final say here. Sakurai can object to it, but if they're set on having Ridley as a fighter, there'd be nothing Sakurai could really do against the notion even if he wanted to; after all, he's not the owner of the franchise. :p He created it, but Smash is a Nintendo property, not a Sakurai property; what Nintendo wants is what we get.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Wolf is like the top requested veteran ATM. Him not getting in would be heart breaking for a huge number of fans.
Not to mention starring in a new game but whatever.
I can understand being skeptical because his files weren't among the ones uncovered.

Last edited:

Bill Nye

Smash Rookie
Roy
Chance:90%
I'm a little doubtful that Roy would be an alt for Lucina, but he's probably in at this point.

Want:0%
I highly doubt Roy will be changed from Melee due to our two other DLC fighters being unchanged from their previous games. It also doesn't make much sense for them to declone Roy. Most of Roy's fans like Roy for his melee appearance, not his actual game (that isn't even playable in the west), so from Nintendo's perspective, why change a character from their smash appearance when that's the only main reason people like the character?
With that being said, I will not pay money for Roy unless he is drastically changed from Melee. I didn't enjoy playing him in Melee and he really wouldn't offer anything new to the roster (not worth paying money for at least). I have played Roy's game along with many other FE's and his character never stood out to me.

Nominations: Agnes Oblige x 5

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Roy
so from Nintendo's perspective, why change a character from their smash appearance when that's the only main reason people like the character?
Its amusing how Roy detractors ignore the fact Roy is popular amongst Japanese FE and Smash Bros. fans.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Last edited:

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
I still haven't seen anyone counter the "why change Roy but not Mewtwo or Lucas" argument. The closest I've seen is someone say that Lucas is already a semi-clone and Mewtwo can barely be called a clone. I don't see how that works. Ganondorf is still extremely similar to Captain Falcon even though time constraints haven't been a problem since Melee. Furthermore, why do we even think that Sakurai cares that Roy is a clone? Remember before the ESRB leaks (or whatever they were)? Many had previously assumed that being a clone or even a semi-clone meant you were out this time around, Lucina excepted. Then we found out about the hidden characters, which included Falcondorf, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and Falco. And since then we've had Lucas announced as well. I still don't see why Roy would be the exception to this trend. Would someone please counter this, because it's really the main beef I have with Roy anyway.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I still haven't seen anyone counter the "why change Roy but not Mewtwo or Lucas" argument. The closest I've seen is someone say that Lucas is already a semi-clone and Mewtwo can barely be called a clone. I don't see how that works. Ganondorf is still extremely similar to Captain Falcon even though time constraints haven't been a problem since Melee. Furthermore, why do we even think that Sakurai cares that Roy is a clone? Remember before the ESRB leaks (or whatever they were)? Many had previously assumed that being a clone or even a semi-clone meant you were out this time around, Lucina excepted. Then we found out about the hidden characters, which included Falcondorf, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and Falco. And since then we've had Lucas announced as well. I still don't see why Roy would be the exception to this trend. Would someone please counter this, because it's really the main beef I have with Roy anyway.
Like I said a million times before, no character other than Roy has the need to be changed up. That's the thing people need to understand.

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
Why does Roy have a need? Didn't Ganondorf have a need after three games to actually fight like Ganondorf does in at least one of the Zelda games?

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Roy
Chance: 92%
My score wouldn't be nearly this high if it wasn't for those sound files. It's difficult to deny his chances now that we know the sound files exist. Since he's a veteran and a relatively popular choice because of it, I can imagine Sakurai bringing him back. I just had my doubts that he would prior to the files found in the patch. Maybe it was because we'd have two Marth clones, or that the Fire Emblem franchise may have felt a little over saturated. I don't really care about either of those reasons mind you; the more the merrier in my book. Though I did take them into account which made me think he was an unlikely DLC candidate. Before the sound files of course. I'll give the red haired veteran a solid 92% likelihood.
An unlikely addition until the proper evidence...

Want: 50%
I'm pretty neutral towards him. I don't really play any of the Fire Emblem characters, and it wouldn't have bothered me if he didn't seem like he was going to return. Though if Sakurai wants to bring back a veteran to make the fans happy, I say he should go for it.

Prediction - Ridley: 2.7%

Nominations:
x4 Toon Zelda
x1 Tetra

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It's all "Roy's our boy" jokes vs. "we already have :4roy:" jokes around here.
So, here's a joke picture. I picked the two characters (yes, including Roy) that honestly have the most controversy around them. Something tells me they'd get along fine for that reason. :lol:
View attachment 50214
Sorry if this isn't your cup of tea.
Pittoo got quite accepted in Smash-fandom anyway despite his previous controversies, so I think Roy would have the same happening.

Roy however, can't be really compared to Dark Pit in means of controversy though, as he's mostly forced to "controversy" than Pittoo, who is straight-up edgy clone of Pit, losing even his character (and development) in Smash Bros 4 if Palutena's Guidance on him is any indication (incase they should be taken as canon to KI-verse). I could say controversy on him is more justified for that reason, but it might just be me.

The controversy towards Roy is more in the hating of him being a clone in Smash and over-repping FE and people hating his guts due being so popular despite the flaws that should so cripple it down and make him the unpopular clone character like Pittoo or Doc was - but it's not the sum of his character. Roy's more concrete flaws are obviously his average-to-mediocre performance as an unit and having very crippling promotion, and his personality and writing around him being nothing too special in plenty players' eyes, passing it off as bland or not well elaborated enough on why he has such mental strength and composure in handling his army. Basically YMMV.

Aside from that, rest is really very biased and somewhat baseless hate thrown to him for being a "dead weight" and "irrelevant clone", which hasn't ever stopped Sakurai before from adding such characters. It's also uncertain will Sakurai go for making Roy unchanged clone like he was in Melee, or go to semi-clone him (though I think from business and hype standpoint he shouldn't charge people for even more modified Marth with just a fire sword). Mewtwo and Lucas are different cases altogether, since it's an fully unique character and a solid semi-clone.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Why does Roy have a need? Didn't Ganondorf have a need after three games to actually fight like Ganondorf does in at least one of the Zelda games?
Some people liked the clone moveset. Not only that but incorporating a lot of his OoT moves (and moves from other Zelda games) would be a bit awkward to implement in a Smash environment IMO (not saying it can't be done though).

Lucina in the game pretty much makes the need for Roy to be changed mandatory. Especially if Roy's going to be DLC. Sakurai isn't that cheap people.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Pittoo got quite accepted in Smash-fandom anyway despite his previous controversies, so I think Roy would have the same happening.

Roy however, can't be really compared to Dark Pit in means of controversy though, as he's mostly forced to "controversy" than Pittoo, who is straight-up edgy clone of Pit, losing even his character (and development) in Smash Bros 4 if Palutena's Guidance on him is any indication (incase they should be taken as canon to KI-verse). I could say controversy on him is more justified for that reason, but it might just be me.

The controversy towards Roy is more in the hating of him being a clone in Smash and over-repping FE and people hating his guts due being so popular despite the flaws that should so cripple it down and make him the unpopular clone character like Pittoo or Doc was - but it's not the sum of his character. Roy's more concrete flaws are obviously his average-to-mediocre performance as an unit and having very crippling promotion, and his personality and writing around him being nothing too special in plenty players' eyes, passing it off as bland or not well elaborated enough on why he has such mental strength and composure in handling his army. Basically YMMV.

Aside from that, rest is really very biased and somewhat baseless hate thrown to him for being a "dead weight" and "irrelevant clone", which hasn't ever stopped Sakurai before from adding such characters. It's also uncertain will Sakurai go for making Roy unchanged clone like he was in Melee, or go to semi-clone him (though I think from business and hype standpoint he shouldn't charge people for even more modified Marth with just a fire sword). Mewtwo and Lucas are different cases altogether, since it's an fully unique character and a solid NON-clone.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Sigh, another pointless conflict is about to begin... :rolleyes:

Roy

Chance: 99%
Absolute shoo-in thanks to the leak and his huge Japanese requests pre-Smash 4. There was no doubt that this guy would return as DLC soon as we had Dr. Mario and Mewtwo return.

Want: 85%
I was a Roy main since the Melee main and I would love to accept his inclusion again. Despite this whole fad of tiers and judging whether a character would be terrible or not, I've enjoyed his flashy play style and got into the Fire Emblem franchise thanks to him. Thought the major downside is that Fire Emblem If would probably have to wait until the next Smash title because of the fact that we have a whooping 5 Fire Emblem characters already and any other addition plus Roy would have caused controversy.

Ridley Prediction: 18%

Nominations: Princess Daisy x 5

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
Some people liked the clone moveset. Not only that but incorporating a lot of his OoT moves (and moves from other Zelda games) would be a bit awkward to implement in a Smash environment IMO (not saying it can't be done though).

Lucina in the game pretty much makes the need for Roy to be changed mandatory. Especially if Roy's going to be DLC. Sakurai isn't that cheap people.
Some people also liked having a Fiery Marth with power at the hilt. People also liked having a Ness semi-clone, which is the main reason why we have Lucas back, and is very likely the reason why Roy will likely be back.

Furthermore, given what I've read, there are just as many people who hate Falcondorf's moveset as love it. Those people have been flat-out ignored for two games running, and they're usually Zelda fans, which comprise one of the largest Nintendo fanbases. Fire Emblem may be up-and-coming, but it's still not Zelda.

In short, I still see no reason why Roy's situation is significantly different from those of Ganondorf and Lucas.

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
ROY (FE)

Chance: 65%
So there is a sound file in the game... and... ? I really don't get how that suddenly gets him 100% confirmed for smash. sound files are left over many a times of smash, like mewtwo in the last game, how is this one any different? Shure it implies that at one point in time Roy may have bean considered for the game, making him far more likely as an inclusion for smash, but not 100%. I however feel as though i'm missing something important on the matter, so if someone can convince me otherwise i'm willing to boost the rating.

Want: 25%
Roy is not my boy. Never liked him in melee, thought that he was just boring. usually I wouldn't care in the matter but seeing as we already have two fire emblem characters, one of them who plays very Roy like who I like far better. If Roy was added that would be a fifth FE character and (most likely) a third marth. I don't know why anyone would want that!

...and whatever happened to "no more swordfighters" and "no clones" anyhow? Are we just gonna forget about that now?

x5 Wolf Link

PREDICTION
A lot of size jokes: 100%

Last edited:
ROY (FE)

Chance:40%
So there is a sound file in the game... and... ? I really don't get how that suddenly gets him 100% confirmed for smash. sound files are left over many a times of smash, like mewtwo in the last game, how is this one any different? Shure it implies that at one point in time Roy may have bean considered for the game, making him far more likely as an inclusion for smash, but not 100%. I however feel as though i'm missing something important on the matter, so if someone can convince me otherwise i'm willing to boost the rating.

Want: 25%
Roy is not my boy. Never liked him in melee, thought that he was just boring. usually I wouldn't care in the matter but seeing as we already have two fire emblem characters, one of them who plays very Roy like who I like far better. If Roy was added that would be a fifth FE character and (most likely) a third marth. I don't know why anyone would want that!

...and whatever happened to "no more swordfighters" and "no clones" anyhow? Are we just gonna forget about that now?

x5 Wolf Link

PREDICTION
A lot of size jokes: 100%
the sound files werent left over. they were added in an update.

EmpoleonArrow

Smash Rookie
Chances: 95%
The sound files make it quite reasonable to think he will return as DLC, also he has a good amount of support and he could be easy to implement in the game also Sakurai is scheduled to appear during the Fire Emblem concert, in general things look quite positive for Roy, but anything can happen
Want: 100%
I recently started playing Fire Emblem and i have enjoyed the games, i think it would be nice to have most cut characters back into the roster. Also, Roy is not just any boy, he is our boy.

Last edited:

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
--
Roy:
Chance: 95% There's nothing holding him back. He already has a moveset, and sound files were already reserved for him.
Want: 75% I play him in Project M.

Predictions: 30.4%
Ryu x5

Top Bottom