• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
King K.Rool

Chance: 75%

This is kind of high.

Frankly, this is the highest I will rate anyone who isn't Wolf. :wolf:

In my eyes, he is the most likely newcomer.

I like the checklist method, so here goes!

+++Probably the most popular Nintendo owned Newcomer request
++Is known worldwide
++Crucial to his series, being the main villain
+ Has a lot of potential with movesets
+His archetype, the heavyweight isn't an archetype that has a lot of characters
+VC re-releases of the games he starred in puts him in the public eye
+Amazing girth :troll:

--He hasn't appeared in a notable game since Pre-Brawl. (People keep using wierd relative dates, but I just like to keep things simply and say Post-Brawl is recent enough.
-- Faces stiff competition from Dixie Kong who while popular herself, may get in for more promotional reasons

? Aside from veterans being the go to option, we really don't have a clue for how DLC will be handled. Common sense and the ballot implies popularity is a big factor, but just how big are we talking about? It's a big gray area.

Ovearll, he has more going for him than not. So that's nice.

Want: 95%

Not my most wanted newcomer, but I want him a whole darn lot!

I've been replaying the DKC games, and I must say, they truly are awesome and K.Rool is a big part of that.

And DK64 is coming out again.

I already own it, but I'm considering buying it again.

I love it that much!

Banjo and Kazooie Prediction: 24%

Most people here want him desperately but aren't optimistic.

Phoenix Wright x 3
Isaac x 1
Wolf x 1 :wolf:

@ TallT TallT I guess you have a point there... XD
I recommend looking at DK: King of Swing, DK: Jungle Climber and Mario Super Sluggers. They give a good idea of what his size could be.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
King K Rool
Chance 90%

Want 100%

I think the ballot will really help Krool's chances big time.
nominations
Wolf
BB bandit trio
Sami
Pious
Sturm

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

King K. Rool:
King K. Rool is the main antagonist of the Donkey Kong franchise, appearing in Donkey Kong 1-3, Donkey Kong 64, Donkey Kong Land 1-3, Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber, and Donkey Kong: King of Swings which rounds up to nine games. While later games have chosen to forgo the King for another villain, it is worth noting that none of them have recurred more than once. That's because King K. Rool is a beloved villain and fans have been clamoring for his return for years for both Donkey Kong and a playable appearance in Super Smash Bros. With Lucas's confirmation and the Smash Ballot being a thing, the recency arguments takes a big hit and while I don't think it directly relates to his chances, I find it interesting that Donkey Kong 64 is being re-released relatively close to E3 (and to an extent, the DKC trilogy in North America).

Furthermore, he is without a doubt the most wanted newcomer (unless you factor in Banjo-Kazooie who won't be getting in). No fan base can boast such a dedicated group as King K. Rool and he is the last character with a massive fan base like that of Ridley, Mewtwo, and Mega Man as well as many characters during pre-Brawl. It's also worth noting his fan base has only increased in spite of his absence in recent games; partially due to increased demand for him to make a significant reappearance and partially because, again, he is the last character with a massive fan base for his inclusion. Along with the Kremling Kampaigner's commendable effort into increasing support for King K. Rool, he has also taken in supporters that once were behind the likes of Mewtwo, Lucas, Ridley (who got shot down just as badly as Chrom did), and Wolf (not confirmed but honestly pretty obvious and some Wolf supporters aren't voting for him because he's so bloody obvious).

Aside from maybe lack of appearances (which seems to be reduced as a factor as DLC), what arguments are left against him? Sure people may argue that "we have too many heavyweights", "he wouldn't be competitively viable", "the poll doesn't matter; it's just a publicity stunt", and others, but none of these arguments have any substantial bearing whatsoever. The only real negative he faces at this point is that he has to get in the ballot or he's not getting in at all, which is a very real issue. Sakurai doesn't seem to care about the Donkey Kong franchise very much as seen by how shafted the franchise was and I don't think he's chomping at the bits to include a third character. It's going to have to take a massive push from the fans plus important faces from Nintendo (who I feel has more control over the DLC picks) pressuring Sakurai to get King K. Rool in.

Also it should not be forgotten that there are more than several plausible characters that could get in. Veterans are going to receive priority due to the ease of making them which is why Mewtwo and Lucas play similarly to Melee and Brawl respectively which is one reason why Wolf is a near guarantee and why we could also plausibly get another veteran (most likely Roy or Snake, maybe Ice Climber if they can get them to work). As such there's not going to be a lot of room for newcomers. Inklings are likely taking up a spot because Splatoon is a thing and while I expect two or maybe three newcomers, that could go to anyone. Don't forget that characters like Dixie Kong, Bandanna Dee, and Krystal (if she shows up at E3) are plausible additions as well and other characters will be considered as well. If Nintendo can get Ice Climbers working, chances are Chorus Kids are taking a newcomer spot as well and I wouldn't exactly be sure of us getting three newcomers.

The thing about King K. Rool is that he has every reason to get in at this point. But as I learned from the turnout of Smash 4's initial roster (which was pretty good but the outcome was totally different from what I expected), it is not wise to overestimate the odds of your favorite characters. For us to get King K. Rool, he has to be first when it comes to Nintendo newcomers worldwide and then we have to get lucky. For this reason I don't see him at an E3 reveal and I don't think he's currently in development so I bet we are in this for the long haul.

I am going to give him a generous 50% of being playable. This is a character that could go either way.

Want:
He's the only newcomer I want that has a realistic shot of being playable (Bomberman and Ray are pretty much never going to be playable) and the only reason why I bothered to come back to discuss potential characters. I am a big time fan of the Donkey Kong series and have loved DKC 1, 2 and DK64 a lot when I was a child. I also find him to be a hilarious villain and Donkey Kong Country was one of the very first video games I've ever beaten. He's left a pretty good impression on me and considering that Super Smash Bros. 3DS & Wii U will be the last Smash games I ever get (still want to get the 3DS game), I am crossing my fingers he gets in as DLC. Definitely overdue for a spot I would say.

To be honest, I actually want Bomberman more, but considering that he's from a franchise with no future, I'm giving 100% towards King K. Rool. Second most wanted character ain't bad I would say.

Last edited by a moderator:

TallT

Smash Apprentice
King K. Rool

Chance: 70%

I think King K. Rool has the highest chance of any newcomer, and from what I can tell he is highly requested worldwide. Even though there may be some 3rd party characters that are more requested than K. Rool these characters stand little chance to be chosen due to their lack of familiarity overseas or due to the amount of money it would cost Nintendo just to obtain rights the these characters. Also, I just cannot see Sakurai adding 3rd parties for DLC especially since Nintendo has so many 1st party characters to work with that they could just as easily profit off of. The only thing I see potentially standing in K. Rool's way is Sakurai.

Want: 100%

I have been wanting to see K. Rool in Smash since Brawl, and I know he has the potential for a unique move-set.

Banjo and Kazooie Prediction: 15%

:wolf:Wolf x2

Bandana Dee x3

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
King K. Rool, the main antagonist of the first console game, Donkey Kong 64, that I ever beat. I went back and have experienced the incredible DKC games many times, and I have a permanent spot in my heart for the nostalgic and deranged reptile. I am overjoyed that DK64 is coming to the Wii U VC console this week, and can't wait to 101% it, even though I own two physical DK64 cartridges already just so I can have more than three save files.

So let's get the want score out of the way. A firm 100% Want. I do not believe Ridley has any chance at being DLC for Smash 4 whatsoever, so KKR is my de facto most wanted character. I will try not to let that influence my Chance score.

Chance score?

I have good feelings about this. Most fans feel like DK has been a consistently (somewhat) neglected franchise by Sakurai, but not so neglected that I am too concerned. DK has at least always been given a fair rep in terms of stages, music, and collectibles, and these references have been very generous to the Rareware era, where the Kremlings originated. K. Rool has always had a collectible trophy, even when Diddy Kong didn't in Melee.

A DK newcomer is in such a high demand, that bar unrealistic/joke nominations and possibly Mario characters, King K. Rool is, in my predictions, most likely to "win" the Smash ballot in terms of most votes/requests. Let me talk about the ballot in general for a moment real quick, and how it will affect this and all future ratings from me.

For anyone who doubts a newcomer, the Smash ballot would be pointless if only intended for veterans, as they are already aware of those fan demands. It would also be pointless to do it for a single newcomer to come from it. I predict 2-3 newcomers total, and that's how I will be spreading my votes for this game, with 2-3 newcomers in mind. The one and only veteran I expect back doesn't count against this total. They specifically called out Lucas as being brought back by fan request, and I guarantee you the majority of people who requested Lucas probably requested Wolf in the same sentence. Also, Wolf is perfect advertisement at E3 for the upcoming Star Fox title. Therefore, I feel any Wolf votes are not only in vain, but the most likely character, Wolf, is in no way competition for KKR (or any other character), as Nintendo is probably already planning to bring him back.

So, 2-3 newcomers is my expectation. I do not believe we are likely to get two DK newcomers (although there are two in high demand of course), but I do believe one is almost guaranteed, because I certainly believe Donkey Kong is the currently repped franchise most likely to get a newcomer. It has had not only a lot of Virtual Console love and attention lately (every single game with KKR will be playable between the Wii U and 3DS now), but is pretty well represented in the Smash games, save items and a third playable character, and therefore is in most dire need of a newcomer out of any current series. Even casual fans who don't get deep into Smash speculation recognize this, and have been putting their votes towards KKR I have noticed. If people stay as dedicated to voting for him in the ballot as possible, and continue to write such excellent reasons for him, then The King's only competition will be Dixie, who doesn't have as vocal of a fanbase.

I give KKR an 75% chance.

Nominate: Concept - DLC costumes x5

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
There're a lot of unknown factors here. How many more characters are they willing to make? Will they go directly with the top vote getters, or will they use the ballot more as guidelines? We don't know yet...but who says we can't speculate?

--

King K. Rool

How the scales have tipped tide has changed. The Smash Ballot gives a chance to characters who had next to none before, and no other gained as much from it as K. Rool. Since the ballot is directly asking for fan input, relevancy likely no longer matters. A mountain of votes would show they still care about the character even if they've fallen out of the spotlight, and it means the king's only drawback is a thing of the past. Worth mentioning as well, though, is that we don't know if other factors are still in play, so to speak. Looking at the newcomers on the initial roster, it looks like uniqueness and moveset potential were of highest priority after relevance, and this is mostly a hunch, but they probably still matter. Fortunately, K. Rool has high moveset potential between all the weapons and tactics he's used in his boss fights, and his arsenal and, frankly, mental instability would give him a unique niche among the heavyweights.

We could always see a curveball...or spinning cannonball. But if his lack of relevance no longer holds back his massive amount of support, he's a near lock. Or would that be a Lockjaw?

Want: 75%
Something you need to know about me: I go against the grain a little when it comes to newcomers. I get interested in characters for their moveset potential. There've even been a few that I flat out wasn't interested in until I realized how much they'd feel like a breath of fresh air in an ever-growing cast. This time, though, my interests match up--I see why everyone's so interested in K. Rool. From crown to blunderbuss to jetpack to fake Kredits, the big guy could bring in something all his own.

Banjo & Kazooie Prediction: 21.75%
An ever-growing bandwagon will skew this one higher than it probably should be.

Nominations: Krystal x5

I'm trying a new writing style. How does it look?

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
King K. Rool chances: 65%
Only a few weeks ago I wasn't konfident on King K. Rool's chances at all, but since the last Direct I'm much more optimistic. The official Smash ballot increases a lot the chances for hugely requested characters, and K. Rool is definitely one of them. Plus his fame and uniqueness definitely make him a very viable contender.
On the other hand he didn't appear in Retro Studios' games, the most recent Donkey Kong games, which were very well received, but the recent Virtual Console releases of the games he's featured in means that anyone can enjoy them now. That, combined with his historical importance, outweighs his relative lack of "relevance" due to Retro's games by a fair margin imo. Besides Sakurai's possible lack of interest towards the character which I think would be hugely disappointing, I think the only strong reason to exclude him would be the fact that he likes to get feedback from the original creators when he designs a new character, and those don't work for Nintendo anymore. Though they created their own studio, Playtonic Games, and Sakurai could maybe contact them to get that feedback, especially considering that this studio have already shown their support in King K. Rool as a playable character in Smash Bros.

King K. Rool want: 98%
I always wanted to play as King K. Rool in Smash Bros. After unlocking everyone in Brawl I wondered who else could join the roster, and I believe King K. Rool was the first character I thought about. I mean come on, he's the main antagonist of the Donkey Kong series, and he would be so great fighting alongside Bowser and Ganondorf! He also offers a large room for creativity when it comes to the moveset, and he would probably be a trap and projectile based heavy character similar to Snake, R.O.B. and Bowser Jr., who are very fun characters to play as.

Banjo-Kazooie prediction: 3.93%
I find these chance predictions to be way too optimistic. I doubt he will get a lot of high chances scores.

Nominating:
Playable newcomer: Wonder Red x1
Concept: DLC custom moves x4

Last edited:

walph

Smash Rookie
King K. Rool
Chance: 100%
If this ballot be considered. I think King K. Rool has a huge fan base and will easily win this ballot.
Want: 10%
I prefer Dixie Kong
I don't like too much, but a newcomer from DK series is always welcome.
edit:
Banjo & Kazooie prediction: 15%

nominations:
x3 Isaac
x1 Dixie Kong
x1 Bandana Dee

Last edited:

McDuckletts

Smash Ace
NNID
JaredandCompany
3DS FC
2105-8715-5535
ayy lmao let's rate some frickin characters

King K. Rool: 99%
I have never been more confident in the KREM KING in my life. Like seriously, him and Wolf are practically locks now. Call me overly optimistic if you want, but that's just how I roll. Granted, there is a chance I will end up eating my words; heaven knows that happened to me badly before. Still, K. Rool is a pretty likely character overall.
100% Want
Recently beat bojo-kozo as my most wanted newcomer.

Speaking of bojo: 21.06% prediction

Shovel Knight X5

Ahh, its good to be back, fam...

...oh wait no one knows who i am nvm :^]

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
King K Rool
Chance: 80% (I think he's in with a great shot considering he's highly popular all over the world. If Nintendo is actually interested in making money, this guy will be dlc.)
Want: 70% (Kinda, moreso for his fans than anything else though)

Nominating:
Isaac x5

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Hail to the King, baby.

Chance - 75%

This is the highest chance I feel confident giving to any character except maybe Wolf, who is the only veteran I expect. As far as newcomer characters go, I feel King K Rool is solidly in with one of the strongest chances:

Popularity - A lot of the gaming press seem keen to ignore him but all indications are that he is at or near the top of every exit poll conducted so far. Crucially, unlike a lot of other characters his popularity is global. Just as there is the big push on the western internet to get him included, so too does Japan have a similar campaign, something which very, very few other characters can claim.

Ease - King K Rool beats out a lot of the near competition in terms of ease of licensing as he is first party (NO, he is NOT owned by Rare, he has appeared in several games since the buyout, plus Kremlings are in Smash Run, Diddy is a playable character, and so on...) and would likely be significantly easier and more profitable than a 3rd party character. However, I do think that despite this, he would be a complex character to do if Sakurai wanted to fully please the fans - and realistically there is a possibility that Sakurai might choose Dixie Kong, the easier DK character to make, to attempt to please the DK fans.

Potential - K Rool has all the potential for a moveset there. Anyone who disagrees should stop and watch a couple of his boss battles. I would be hopeful that Sakurai does watch some game footage before making a character so I doubt this would be an issue.

Relevance - Lucas is back. This ballot is based on popularity, so this is not anywhere near as strong an argument anymore, especially when a lot of his popular competition could also be argued to suffer from the same problems. Also, all of the main DK games starring K Rool have been recently rereleased on the Virtual Console, which is a definite boost.

Want - 99%

K Rool is, by a very significant margin, easily my most desired newcomer overall. He is a great character and has the potential for a moveset I'd find really enjoyable. The sole reason this is not a 100% rating is because I worry that he could be implemented very lazily - in terms of special moves it would be extremely easy to make him a clone of King Dedede, for example. Doing this would ruin the character for me, and if they're not going to go the full mile and bring him back in his full glory I'm not sure I'd want him anymore.

Nominate: Isaac x 5

Last edited:
Chance 60%
k rool may definitely has popularity going for him without a doubt. But unfortunately he has been out of the game for a little bit.
I wouldnt be surprised at all if sakurai instead chooses dixie instead who actually has shown up recently and is popular if not as much. However if Retro is in gact making a dk game with krool his dlc appearance would be almost confirmed.

Want. 65%
Only played dkc 1 but he looks cool, could be unique, and certainly is/was an all star. Maybe after i play dk64 this will be higher

Nomination
wonder red 5

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Day One is K.Rool? Expected.
Anyway, on to the rating:
King K. Rool (Donkey Kong)

I'll start with want. My experiences with the DK franchise is the many Mario spinoffs, Donkey Kong Country 1, ...and that's pretty much it(Playing a bit of DKC2 though). So I don't have any personal attachment to this character via nostalgia like many other people. But I do have such a feeling for a different character from another franchise.

Dark Matter, from the Kirby franchise.

I'd say he and the King are actually pretty similiar. Both were the main antagonists of their respective franchise, both were cool characters with respective fanbases, and both were shut down after a while in favor of newer villains to fill the role. The only difference is that K.Rool actually has more acknowledgement via Smash trophies and other cameo appearances. Thus, I've concluded that K.Rool is in a similiar boat to one of my favorite Nintendo villains, and feels some sort of sympathy with him. And he seems to have an actual chance to return too, so why the hell not support?

Another thing is that I like villains. And I really like villians that have a certain flavor to them. As of what I have seen until now, K.Rool seems to have such a trait. His roughness, his insanity, his apperance, his actions. You get the idea. He's far from my favorite Nintendo villain, but he's up there. The score would bump up another ten percent or so if I bother to play another DK, especially DK64.

Want:75%

On to the chance score. Everyone else's chance score seems to hover somewhere around the mid 70s to 80s, and personally, I think that's pretty exact.

Popularity wise, the King is the most voted newcomer by far, and normally I would say he's a shoe in for DLC and would've ended this post right here. However, he hasn't had an appearance in a new DK game post Sluggers, and though some people say otherwise I do think Dixie is an actual obstacle that should be considered. Dixie is just as much a Nintendo All-Star as K.Rool(if not more) and she would be relatively easy to implent, as they could use Diddy's body as a base. And she is female.

That being said, this is a poll. A popularity poll. All those votes K.Rool is going to get can't be for nothing. I agree with the mass thought that he is the most likely newcomer after :wolf:, though I kept his precentage a bit low because Dixie.

Chance:75%

Nominations::wolf: x5
(At first I was trying to push Ray to the top, but after some thinking I decided that we should do the most likely character period, just so we can get him out of the way.I also want to see if there are any people who just think he isn't likely.
Can anyone help?)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Glad that the successor is as active as the previous one.

So, King K. Rool:
Chance: 80%

I know the chance is a bit on the high side, but considering that unlike the main roster, DLC, for all intents and purposes, is a popularity contest, I'm having a hard time seeing him being ignored again. As DLC is optional, from a business perspective, it makes a lot of sense to place popularity as the most important deciding factor. And K. Rool has been topping the polls ever since the speculation began.

K. Rool was also fortunate to not have any role other than a trophy, which would otherwise has hindered him.

Predicting 55% for Banjo-Kazooie.

Nominations:
Isaac x 3
Dixie Kong x 2

:231:

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
Unless Nintendo/Sakurai has their mind set against him, he's the best chance (bar Wolf) to be playable. Every unofficial ballot/poll/thing I've seen has K. Rool either alone or with a few very unlikely characters. He's important, popular, has great moveset potential, and already has stages and such from his series in the game. The only way he won't be in the last few candidates on Sakurai's desk is if either he or Nintendo have something against him. I have no idea why this would be the case, so I'm not really factoring it in. However even in that position he still faces the threat of free marketing that would favor the Inklings, and possibly, depending on what Kamelot has been doing for the last year and 1/2, Isaac.

Want: 88%
The King sits second on my fairly short list of Smash wants, however I kan't give him the full 100%, as I don't wan't him in over Isaac.

Banjo-Kazooie chance prediction: 12%
The pessimism is real (and justified) in this thread, kan't see too many high chances being given.

Nominate:
Isaac x3
Dixie x1
Inklingsx1

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
King K. Rool Chance:
40%
I'm still pretty iffy on K. Rool now. But considering the ballot makes popularity a slightly more important factor, I have no choice but to give him a bigger chance now. His main flaw right now is relevance, and I still think it's a rather important factor. I don't think DK64 and the release of all the other classic DKC games being was much of a big deal to consider him relevant to Nintendo again, as they didn't give the games a big of a spotlight in the direct as Earthbound when it was revealed it was coming to the U.S., it was rather a quiet reveal when came to it.

Using Lucas as a counterargument to relevance doesn't work, considering he is a veteran and is not part of Sakurai's Smash 4 newcomer criteria. He also has Dixie to overcome, who has relevance, decent popularity, and evidence (A very essential factor that would make me rate the character over 50%) that she was planned in Brawl and was likely planned to get in Smash 4 to get in as DLC. Not to mention that he really doesn't stand out as a unique character anymore, now that Bowser Jr. basically took his projectile heavy-weight playstyle, so he could potentially be low priority because of that.

And again we don't know how much of a factor popularity goes, as he may use the results for other reasons. So those rating an 80%-90% are being unrealistically optimistic about him.

In short, his chances have been upscaled pretty dramatically, but it's not enough to completely decimate the relevance argument.

King K. Rool Want:
10%
I have little connection to him personally because I never grew up with the older DKC titles. I might get DK64 to see what makes him a charming character people are claiming about though.

B+K prediction: 17.6% I have a feeling the majority of people will be very un-optimistic about his chances.

x5 Jibanyan

Last edited:

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
K. Rool
Chance: 60% :4dk: and :4diddy: need their nemesis, and the can have a proyectile and fast moveset, that would be "new" for a heavyweigth
Want: 80% We need more bad guys, but another big-fat reptile king one isn't really new

Banjo & Kazooie
Prediction: 40% Being owned by Micro$oft is a bad thing, but the fans wants them anyway

Nominations: Isaac x2 // Banjo/Kazooie x1 // Bub/Bob 2x

TheBazry64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBazry64
K Rool:
Chance: I think Sakurai will give us a Dk character with DLC and the Ballot is a good thing for him
75%

Want: we need more villains we need more Dk characters. K Rool is both!
100%

Banjo Kazooie prediction: 12%

Nominations: Captain Toad x5

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Kruel Inkay Rules
Chance:
40%
Want: 80%

I suck at writing extreme rants longer than an inchworm, so I can't keep it extremely long.

The Ballot works in favor of King K. Rool.
The fans of the character can vote and write extreme paragraphs from here to Tokyo (I hope this is an actual proverb in English because it is in Dutch and it is super funny this way why can I suddenly write long stuff)

Anyway, the secret fans of King K. Rool can let Sakurai see he's popular, and that should be really good right?
Well, I don't think so, since I myself think that Sakurai knew of his popularity before, I mean, he knew of Ridley's and that was only overseas from what I've heard.

But what is great though, are the 500 word long paragraphs we can send to Sakurai.
Soccer, why? Because Sakurai thinks of the movesets.
He decides if the character is unique.
And it is perfectly possible he thought of King K. Rool of a big fatso (I should choose my last words more carefully)

We can send to him, that he kills off Kongs with Klouds, instead of Klaws.
With Brains, instead of Brute force.
Kunning, instead of Krushing.

Unfortunately, there's competition now from EVERYBODY.
There's only a spot for four characters (since the fifth one is Wolf lol), so I'm not giving him 80%

And that's where I kinda doubt him.

EVERY character can be made a 500 word paragraph for.
EVERY character will get defended in the Ballot
EVERY character stands a theoretical chance

His fan power was already known, so if he'll magically make it now?
I dunno.

Tl;dr MY POST NEEDS A TLDR LOL

King K. Rool is famous and well-known, but so he was before the ballot.
Sakurai might not have known about his potential.
We can send things with ballot to help the King.
But so can every character.
Too much competition to say for sure King K. Rool will make it.

Ban-Jo Kaz-Hoo-Ha-ooie
60%

He's possible, he's famous, everybody's hyped due to the tweet so high scores will be given.
(Not by me)

N-ooooh-myyyy-nations
The Fire Nation x>9000

NPC Playable x5

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
K.Rool
Chance: 70%, this is pretty high simply because there's so much support in both japanese and western audiences.
Want: 60%, more villains is always cool, plus DK could use some more reps I guess. Not too invested but it's a nice idea.

Banjo
Prediction: 38%

Nominations: 4 - Andy (Advance Wars), 1 - Shantae

edsett

Smash Apprentice
King K. Rool
I think popularity is an important factor for this ballot, as this is for paid DLC based on fan input. K. Rool has an established dedicated worldwide fanbase who are willing to give Nintendo money for him. DK also is underrepresented (which still annoys me) so a DK newcomer would be a welcome addition, especially K. Rool being a villain with moveset potential.

Now for the relevancy issue, I don't think the problem is that K. Rool himself is obscure nowadays - but that Dixie isn't. Not only is she relevant and requested, she would be an easier character to make than K. Rool. She can easily get in based on advertisement for recent DK games. Still the negatives don't outweigh the positives, King K. Rool is the most likeliest newcomer imo.

Want: 65%
I've played the older DKC games and I've always liked K. Rool as the main franchise villain. There may be other characters that I want more, but I'll be pretty excited for K. Rool to finally be in Smash and in the DK games again.

Banjo Kazooie Prediction: 20% (Microsoft...)

Nominations: Bandana Dee x4 + Inkling x1

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
King K. Rool:
Chance: 65%

+ Popularity will definitely help King K. Rool be strongly considered for DLC.
+ Also, I believe the common complaint about Smash 4 is the lack of villains, which makes him appealing to fill that void.
+ Highly requested in both Japan and the West.
+ Recurring, major character in the DK series
+ DK series is largely considered to be underrepresented.

-However, he has to compete with Dixie Kong who has already had a whole moveset imagined, and might be easier to make. Dixie was a semi-working prototype in Brawl (she had a tag team mechanic with Diddy), so I feel that Sakurai will likely go with her.
-King K. Rool has a relevancy issue, and many new Nintendo fans (not on the Internet) will be confused who this character is.

I don't see Sakurai adding both King K. Rool and Dixie as new characters. Therefore, if the work on Dixie isn't enough to hold him back, then King K. Rool has no major issues in joining the battle as Nintendo holds his copyright. Something to note is that Sakurai likes to consult with the original creator for characters whenever possible. I'm not sure who the original creator of King K. Rool is, but I think they are no longer affiliated with Nintendo. At least with Dixie, Retro Studios was in charge of her new design, which might make her more appealing than King K. Rool.

Want: 70%
As far as boss characters go, he doesn't really have an interesting personality. My favorite memory with King K. Rool was DK64, the boxing ring fight. The fight's personality was carried out completely by the Kongs and the Kremlings. King K. Rool just kind of just got beat up (And said, "YEAH! THANK YOU!). I think his character design would be an unique addition to the roster, and we need more heavy characters, so I'd be pretty happy if he joined the battle. But he's far from my top wanted newcomer.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
King K. Rool:

Chance: 85%.
Want: 75%.

I thought King K. Rool was a really likely character before release. I reasoned that Donkey Kong Country had grown enough to warrant a third or fourth character in Smash Bros. I was wrong. However, the fighter ballot completely changes things for him, as not only is he among the most requested characters again, but the paid DLC will be based primarily on fan input, which is great news for this guy. I honestly believe that he is more likely than Dixie Kong simply because he would have more impact. That being said, he could be saved for "Smash 5" and Dixie Kong is chosen for DLC instead.
I am not a DKC fan, but I like the idea of King K. Rool joining if not only for the strong support I see for him.

---------
Banjo-Kazooie Prediction: 20%.

Nominations: Wolf Link & Midna x5

Apollyon

Smash Apprentice
King K. Rool
Chance: 40%
As much as I can see a ton of pople voting for King K.Rool, Unfortunately I feel that he will fall into the same category as the ever popular Ridley. Coming from a design standpoint, making K. Rool a character will always make someone mad, as they will think things like:
OMGBBQ, HOW DARE THEY NOT USE X AS AN ATTACK/TAUNT, SCREW YOU SAKURAI RUINED GAME DON'T BUY
OMG MONEY GRAB NINTENDO IS MOBILE GAME DEV NOW MICROTRANSACTIONS DON'T BUY
Too much hype = very much butthurt when the character isn't specifically tailored to their desire. This dramatically hurts his chances of being DLC.

Want: 1%
Personally, as much as I would like another Donkey Kong representative, I cannot see K. Rool being said rep. While I know the Smash Bros development team can make his move set, I fear that they will go for yet another power character. Think about it, he is a big freakin crocodile, there is no way they will make him fast for fear of breaking the game balance, and if they cannot make him fast, they will make him powerful. Until the dev team can show me otherwise, I do not want.

Banjo & Kazooie
Prediction: 20%-30%: I don't see much hope for this character, now being owned by microsoft.

Nominations:

Isaac x5

D

Deleted member

@ PushDustIn PushDustIn The creator of King K. Rool would be Steve Mayles, who currently works on Playtonic Games. They've recently endorsed King K. Rool for Smash DLC.

@ Apollyon Apollyon : People are always going to complain that X character didn't do this or that. It's not uncommon to hear people complain about the lack of Wario Land reference in Wario's move set yet I bet you that 99% of everyone would rather have Wario in the game with only moves from WarioWare than to not be playable at all. King K. Rool supporters will be happy if their character of choice even gets in.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
King K. Rool
Chance: 40%
As much as I can see a ton of pople voting for King K.Rool, Unfortunately I feel that he will fall into the same category as the ever popular Ridley. Coming from a design standpoint, making K. Rool a character will always make someone mad, as they will think things like:

Too much hype = very much butthurt when the character isn't specifically tailored to their desire. This dramatically hurts his chances of being DLC.

Want: 1%
Personally, as much as I would like another Donkey Kong representative, I cannot see K. Rool being said rep. While I know the Smash Bros development team can make his move set, I fear that they will go for yet another power character. Think about it, he is a big freakin crocodile, there is no way they will make him fast for fear of breaking the game balance, and if they cannot make him fast, they will make him powerful. Until the dev team can show me otherwise, I do not want.

Banjo & Kazooie
Prediction: 20%-30%: I don't see much hope for this character, now being owned by microsoft.

Nominations:

Isaac x5
Just as almost every character, even "stupid" ones generates hype.
Stupid character chance 100%

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Yay. This thing is back.

King K Rool

Chance: 80%
This guy has a lot of things going for him: he's a heavyweight, he's a villain, he's endorsed by Playtonic games, and most importantly, he has no style has a large fan base of people voting for him INTERNATIONALLY! The key word is internationally, as much influence stems from Japan as to who can get in. Overall, I'd say he has the highest chance of getting in for a newcomer.

Want: 95%
I would love to see him in the game. The only reason he's not higher is that I'd rather Isaac or Quote get in (consider K Rool a third for me)

Banjo Predict:
Chance: 30%
Want: 60%

Nom: 5x Quote (Cave Story)

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
This is back yay!

King K. Rool

K. Rool is probably the newcomer I would rate the highest. He's got everrything going for him: he's popular, important, and has lots of moveset potential.

Want: 60%

While I'm not that big of a Donkey Kong fan, I still want him mainly for one reason: his awsome fanbase. The Ridley fanbase was always really strong, and that made me want Ridley just so that awesome fanbase could get their wish. Now the same applies for K. Rool.

Nominate:

Paper Mario X2
Squirtle X3

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
King K. Rool

As a newcomer, I feel that King K. Rool is among the strongest candidates for DLC at this point. He does have a great amount of support throughout the world with his fanbase still going strong despite being out of the spotlight, even to the point that he's one of the most popular choices in the core fanbase, and he's an important character to his franchise as he is recognized as the main villain of his games. With those factors, I do feel that he's a character that's very likely to get some consideration from the team through this ballot and potentially become one of the choices for DLC. The only problems I can see with him depend on how the ballot works, particularly if they have a short-list on hand that could value other characters over him such as Dixie (though the latter can be circumvented with enough support if Sonic's any indication). It also depends on how much they weigh certain factors as he has been out of the spotlight and that could hinder him despite his other positives. So for right now, I'm giving him a 75%, a popular character with good merits, but with a couple flaws here and there.

Want: 100% He's one of my most wanted newcomers and a character that I've loved to fight ever since I played DK64 as a kid, I'd be really happy to see him playable.

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
King K Rool

Chances 70%
Want: 50%

Chances

Personally I am totally indifferent to this character, as I have never known him until I did my research about Donkey Kong Country, and he doesn't appear in any of the newer Donkey Kong games. He seems to be an extrememely popular choice though, with nearly 700 pages in his support thread, and his own hashtag.

Banjo-Kazooie
Chances 1%
Want 1%

He is owned by Microsoft, a first party rival.

I nominate Daisy x5

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
King K. Rool:
Second most wanted character. It amazes me that he's still not in Smash honestly so this is his shot. Especially since this is probably more of a popularity ballot.

Predictions:
Banjo & Kazooie:
Chance: 5%
Want: 85%

Nominations:
Paper Mario x2
M. Bison(dictator) x2
Squirtle x1

Last edited:

Apollyon

Smash Apprentice
@ Apollyon Apollyon : People are always going to complain that X character didn't do this or that. It's not uncommon to hear people complain about the lack of Wario Land reference in Wario's move set yet I bet you that 99% of everyone would rather have Wario in the game with only moves from WarioWare than to not be playable at all. King K. Rool supporters will be happy if their character of choice even gets in.
Indeed, I have no doubt that people would be happy to see K. Rool in smash, but you have to keep in mind that Sakurai not making Ridley for Sm4sh could also be due in part to the hype. From a game development standpoint, would it be more beneficial to:

A. Announce that K. Rool is going to be a DLC character for Smash 4, get limited time to design his move set, taunts, and general character, with the risk screwing it up and having rabid fanboys scream their heads off, AKA negative press.

or

B. Do not announce K. Rool as a DLC character, to either dismiss him as a character in general, or preferably work on his character in depth to make it the best it can be.

It all really boils down to this: Can the character be completed within one-three months? Is it realistic to create an entirely new character from the ground up in just two months, with one month being devoted to debugging?

As much as I hate to admit it, I don't think so. Unless somehow K. Rool was originally planned as a character, yet did not have the time to complete him, I believe his, along with any non-veteran's chances to be low.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Indeed, I have no doubt that people would be happy to see K. Rool in smash, but you have to keep in mind that Sakurai not making Ridley for Sm4sh could also be due in part to the hype. From a game development standpoint, would it be more beneficial to:

A. Announce that K. Rool is going to be a DLC character for Smash 4, get limited time to design his move set, taunts, and general character, with the risk screwing it up and having rabid fanboys scream their heads off, AKA negative press.

or

B. Do not announce K. Rool as a DLC character, to either dismiss him as a character in general, or preferably work on his character in depth to make it the best it can be.

It all really boils down to this: Can the character be completed within one-three months? Is it realistic to create an entirely new character from the ground up in just two months, with one month being devoted to debugging?

As much as I hate to admit it, I don't think so. Unless somehow K. Rool was originally planned as a character, yet did not have the time to complete him, I believe his, along with any non-veteran's chances to be low.
I think the problem then is: Is Sakurai willing to be able to make a unique and somewhat complex newcomer?
Because I think Smash won't get negative press if it introduces a new character and Sakurai doesn't exactly cater to whiny fans.

Last edited:

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
King K. Rool
Chance- 70%
The hype for K. Rool is insanely high. There's no way that Sakurai and the team don't know this by now. DK is also a series that I can add a character (or two...) without being over saturated. However, we have yet to see how interested they are in putting in the effort to make really original characters. I have hope, though.
Want- 100%
Yes. Heck yes. Goodness gracious yes. How neither he nor Dixie made it in to begin with is just… hmm.

Banjo & Kazooie Prediction - 11%
I see the detractors being more radical in their votes than the supporters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

or

Well for one I highly doubt we are just getting veterans. Part of the fun of having characters is seeing new characters introduced in a game and I believe that will also extend to DLC. With Smash Ballot asking us to get our favorite characters into the game and for it to take six months, I have a hard time believing that it will just be for veterans. Also I bet they will be working on characters throughout the ballot and afterwards as well so I doubt a character like King K. Rool will get just three months. If hypothetically a newcomer gets started in June, I can see them releasing it in December; allowing it six months to develop. Newcomers will be a lot harder to do, that can't be argued, but I feel as it will be worth the effort so long as they pick from characters that will sell the best and King K. Rool is one of these characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Nye

Smash Rookie
K Rool
Chance- 65%
If he can top the poll, I think he'll get in. However, I'm skeptical to believe that these internet polls accurately represent the opinions of the whole smash fanbase. The people voting on these forum polls are older video game fans, so they likely grew up with K Rool, and obviously support him. Nintendo's younger audience is not represented in these forum polls, and this audience is also less likely to vote for K Rool due to not growing up with him. Either way, he'll still probably finish pretty high in the poll, and will probably make it in.

Want-0%
There's a lot of characters I'd love to see as DLC. K Rool isn't one of them.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
K Rool
Chance- 65%
If he can top the poll, I think he'll get in. However, I'm skeptical to believe that these internet polls accurately represent the opinions of the whole smash fanbase. The people voting on these forum polls are older video game fans, so they likely grew up with K Rool, and obviously support him. Nintendo's younger audience is not represented in these forum polls, and this audience is also less likely to vote for K Rool due to not growing up with him. Either way, he'll still probably finish pretty high in the poll, and will probably make it in.

Want-0%
There's a lot of characters I'd love to see as DLC. K Rool isn't one of them.

Happy first post!!

Last edited:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
KING K. ROOL
Chance: 50%
I honestly think it's a toss up between this guy and Dixie. Sure, King K. Rool may feel more unique, but he hasn't been entirely up to date in terms of presence.
Want: 75%
See chances. :v

BANJO & KAZOOIE
Prediction: 0%
Because Microsoft ruined our fun, that's why. ;_;7

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Chance - 80%: He is the most obvious candidate left from before the game came out. He has the most popularity at the time it is most needed. Most everybody else for this DLC scene sprung up out of nowhere, and very few of them seem likely IMO.
Want 100%: Still waiting on a playable new heavyweight.

Nominate Dixie Kong x5

Last edited:
Top Bottom