• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Oh look, an indie character that actually has Japanese fandom.

Quote (Cave Story)

Chance:5%
From what I had gathered, Quote is apparently the kicker of the indie genre in the west and is still one of the most recognized to this day. So I'll give him credit on that. However, unlike the two before, Quote is actually fairly popular in the east, with his franchise perhaps the third most recongized over there.But since the two that can best it, Touhou and Higurashi, are both franchises that have absolutely no connection to Nintendo consoles(Well, Higurashi did recieve a DS port, but the majority of its games are on Sony consoles anyway), so Quote is the best possible indie rep as of right now. It's also interesting to note that his game actually got a physical release on the 3DS. Heck, I found it on my local store just 40 minutes ago, not that I bought it.

So...yeah. If Nintendo really wants an indie rep or something, then Quote would be the best choice.

Want:5%
But that does not mean that I want him. Yes, if I had to pick an indie rep than I would choose him, but I don't want an indie rep in the first place. If indies continue to grow at their current rate then I could understand one being picked for Sm5sh or something, but as of right now, there are other third parties that had a larger effect on the industry. So no. Not for me.

ICs prediction:25%
I see Sakurai's statements weighing them down...

Nominations:
Lip (Panel de Pon) x5

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
@Moydow , by the way, yes, you can keep nominating the same character every day until their day is announced if you want to!

---------------------------

Woah, powers that be, what are the chances that we ever get Gen 3 sprites as emoticons?

That'd be :182:!

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Quote:
Chance: 1%

Same as Shovel Knight, but switching fan vote power for relative iconicness.
But the first one is heavily needed in order for Sakurai to go get the rights.
Who needs a slightly well-known indie when the fans seem to want 33 characters before him?

Shovel Knight and Shantae both have the raw fan power to potentially top the ballot, Quote doesn't.

Want: 0%
Ballot would be hella rigged if this happened and since the competition are all characters I like, Quote getting in would be bad. (Or bot since the ballot would be rigged haha)

Mega Mewtwo Y Climbers (Press 1 if you get the joke)
33%

Some will say impossible, some will say possible with enough time.

Magolor x5

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Quote:

Chance: 25%

Giving her the same chance as Shantae, as what he lacks in game number he greatly makes up for in eastern and western releases.

Want: 100%

Really now!? Just look at my name. And my noms. Cave Story is my second favorite game of all time. I would love to see a rep from that game.

Ice Climbers:

Chance: 30%

Want: 74%

Nom:

Moonstruck Blossom song x2
Homecoming Hijinx song x3

D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.

Chance:
1%

Take everything I said about Shantae and indies and apply it here, only less so. Cave Story is a very popular indie game; some call Quote the king of indies for this reason. It's for that reason, as well as having a Japanese presence, that I give Quote a 1% chance. Other than that, it's still a tough fight as he has to go to compete with more legendary 3rd party characters and I haven't seen any vocal fans like I have with Shantae and Shovel Knight.

Maybe I'll raise my rating when I finally play Cave Story? I recently downloaded it on the Wii Shop.

Ice Climbers Prediction: 37.92%
There will be many hopefuls, but the 3DS is still an issue.

Nominations: DLC Costumes for Characters 5x

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
alright Quote

Chances: 3%
Even though a hand full of people like him that includes my self I am not going to be bias about this. He had a free ware game on PC first and he did get a lot of ports on 3DS and wiiware and what not but that was like 6 years ago a lot of people are going to have a hard time knowing who he is at this point sure he has fans in the east and west. The fact is he only had one game. And I know a lot of fans are still holding out for a Cave Story 2, But I don't think that will be happening anytime soon.

Want: 80%
One of my top 10 characters I want in smash but I have to remember Indies have very very poor chances. I think he would have been a good addition his game did pull from a lot of retro nintendo. but I'm not expecting him in.

Prediction
63% I would put this higher I just see people have mixed feelings about this

Nomination
Ninten x3
Django x2

Chance
.9% only making it a percent to make it lower than shantae.

Quote may have been in one big game but he is far less popular.

Want 5%
he kind of looks cool but i just am not feelinh anythung special from him.

Ike climbers 15%
Im expecting people to have exaggerated hopes.

Noms (2 wins in a row. Yay)
4 wonder red
2 ridley
4 viridi

Last edited:

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
Quote:
Chance: 7% He's stuck fairly close to Nintendo after his PC release, but that still doesn't change the fact I can download his game for free on PC.
Want: 35% I played some of his game. He's okay, but I just don't think I would like to play as him in Smash

Prediction: 45.6%
Nominate: Ryu x5 (Someone had to)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I seriously wasn't expecting Shovel Knight to end right at the bottom. Wow.

QUOTE:
CHANCE: 2%
WANT: 70%

Quote is the father of indie gaming, who showed that games created by smaller and unknown groups can have the quality of a professionally made game. While he didn't originate on Nintendo, his game was remade for the 3DS twice. I realise that I said I'd give 0% ratings to indie characters, but Quote is essentially the Pac-Man of indie gaming, so I think he has a slightly higher chance.

I've played Cave Story, loved the game, and I like his design too.

ICE CLIMBERS PREDICTION: 15%

NOMINATIONS: IVYSAUR × 5

:231:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Quote:

Chance: 2%
Blah blah who is that...blah blah not groundbreaking...blah blah same arguments as before
I really feel we're rehashing the same things over and over again. So let me instead talk about what Quote has over the others.
I feel that Quote is very similar to Shantae - both are indie characters who have a heavy history of exclusivity with Nintendo. True, Quote is a 'true' indie in that he was made by a single person from the beginning, but let's go with this. The big difference between the two is that Shantae is basically unknown in the east, and Quote has a Japanese following. And that gives him the advantage in a race like this. Remember, Nintendo is Japanese, and will naturally favor Japanese characters. I don't know how well requested he is, but remember that Sm4sh is very sensitive to the Japanese fanbase.
But really, same problems as Shantae. And Shovel Knight. And Banjo.
Like I've said, I should know who the character is. I always want to go to the characters page on X wiki, just to look at them, but I should be able to see the character and recognize them from the beginning. Blah blah, rehash all arguments from before.
And really, I'd rather have the Pokémon trainer. They look almost the same.
Prediction: Ice Climbers
Chance 25.5%, Want 72.5%
Nomination:
Promotions x5​

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Quote : Chance 5%: Cave Story isn't the hit it was when there was no eshop competition, and having a remake before a sequel, as good as that remake was, makes me see a less than active franchise going forward. I could see this guy losing the nonexistant indie spot to Shantae, Shovel Knight, Rusty from Steamworld, Commander Video (he cameos everywhere, he's playable in all the indie gaming mashups, and he's already a trophy in Smash), or even Gunman Clive (if you like Mega Man games, own a 3DS, and haven't dropped the five dollars required to play BOTH gunman Clive games, you're doing yourself a disservice).

Want: 5%: He's cool. I'd rather have any of the others I said before.

Prediction: Ice Climbers: Not a snowballs chance in--- ah whatevs, 65%

Nominations: Nabbit x5

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Chance - 0.2%
Shovel Knight and Quote have different strengths and weaknesses but I think they end up being around the same area in terms of chance. I'll give him an extra 0.1% just because he's also known in the east.

Want - 5%
I've played Cave Story and I'm not even sure if this Quote guy is the playable character. I think so? He's not very memorable as a character in my opinion. I can't really think of what he can do either. I just draw a blank whenever I see him suggested.

Nominations:
Bayonetta x3
Chibi Robo x2

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
Quote:
Chance: 10% - This guy is much more popular than Shovel Knight, but he still has a low chance.

Want: 10% - I never played Cave Story either.

Predictions:
Ice Climbers: 30% - IC's are pretty popular since they've already proven to be good fighters. However, making them work on the 3DS without lag would be like 8-player smash in Melee: more than impossible. They MIGHT work on the New 3DS, but making DLC exclusive to one version of the 3DS would not go well.

Nominations:
King K. Rool x5, Funky Kong x3, Poo (Earthbound) x2

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Chance - 0.2%
Shovel Knight and Quote have different strengths and weaknesses but I think they end up being around the same area in terms of chance. I'll give him an extra 0.1% just because he's also known in the east.

Want - 5%
I've played Cave Story and I'm not even sure if this Quote guy is the playable character. I think so? He's not very memorable as a character in my opinion. I can't really think of what he can do either. I just draw a blank whenever I see him suggested.

Nominations:
Bayonetta x3
Chibi Robo x2
Quote is the name of the main playable character of Cave Story, yeah. I agree, he's not very memorable as a character; its the game that's memorable. Frankly, though, I think its the same argument for a lot of characters, such as Shovel Knight. The game is great, the character is... meh.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Quote is the name of the main playable character of Cave Story, yeah. I agree, he's not very memorable as a character; its the game that's memorable. Frankly, though, I think its the same argument for a lot of characters, such as Shovel Knight. The game is great, the character is... meh.
Um, Shovel Knight is a knight with a shovel. That is as great as a character can get.

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Chance: 10%
Want: 100%
Now we are with the only indie character that DESERVES a chance. He maybe isn't an Icon in this hemisphere, but is the posterboy of the indie games. Maybe his home was the PC, but the first company that give him a hand was Nintendo (and Nicalis as a developer), porting him to the DSi, Wii and 3DS. He is more relevant than characters that already are in Smash.
And Curly brace could be a cool Final Smash, like Robin+Crom but with guns! or even the Cool Aid LunchBox Soap Bar

Ice Climbers :popo:
Duo: 25%
Solo: 20%
2 Characters: 10% (this would be nice...2 characters, semiclones, for the price of one)

Omnomnoms:
Bub/Bob: 5x (speaking of 2 for the price of 1...or just recolors):bubblebobble:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Um, Shovel Knight is a knight with a shovel. That is as great as a character can get.
What makes him interesting is the concept, but outside of that concept, he's just a generic knight.

We jut have rated King K. Rool two weeks ago, I think it's better to wait more until we start to nominate him again.
To be fair, K. Rool is no longer listed in the nominations post. However, considering the circumstances, yeah, we really don't need to rate him again. Not now anyway, the opinion will have barely changed in two weeks. Its probably better to wait until after E3 a tleast.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I suggest that that we do not re-rate or vote characters and concepts until 30 days have passed since the original rating. Of course, if we get some major news concerning them, the rule can be relaxed.

:231:

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Quote Chance:
10%
Out of all indie characters that I have rated here, Quote probably has the biggest chance by far. His games have been notably close to Nintendo when his game released on WiiWare. Since then, multiple remakes of Cave Story have been released to spread the word about the game and the Cave Story fan base has increased by quite a large margin. The game is pretty much critically acclaimed as the best indie game that currently exists, the reason indie games are getting better now in terms of quality. Now the ballot has given a chance to almost every video-game character, Quote pretty much has the chance to get in Smash, even Nicalis is on board with his inclusion, though as of now, Quote isn't getting the high demand that I would expect, Sakurai may not see the demand for Quote at all. He already has a load of options for moves, and all of them are interesting enough to be incorporated into a moveset.

He's got a better chance now and personally, being the father of indie gaming and all, I think that might be the only time when Sakurai can really make an exception for an indie character.

Quote Want:
100%
All of my yes please. Cave Story is the best game I played on the WiiWare by far. In my experience, I first heard about the on Nintendo Power issue when the game got a really great rating from the reviewers, it got me pretty curious as more people claimed it to be the best indie game ever. I had to try the game, and sure enough I loved it so much. The tight control scheme, the surprisingly deep story, memorable characters; everything about the game is so amazing. If Quote made it into Smash, I would scream like an utter fanboy. The most worthy indie that should get in Smash as DLC, if you haven't played Cave Story, BUY IT ON THE ESHOP NOW and stop rating for a minute. Get a $20 eShop card immediately! Once you play it all the way, you'll understand why I want him in Smash badly.

Ice Climbers Prediction:
42.34% One of the most unpredictable characters by far. I know some people will barely mention the possibility of them being New 3DS characters.

Nominations:
x5 Young Link

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Quote:

Chance: 2%

Want: 15%

Not really much to say that hasn't been said about Shantae or SK. Hes indie, and isn't an icon. While Cave Story is great, his character is still not iconic compared to other big name 3rd parties. Even after playing the game, I had no idea who Quote was by name, or even knew what game he was from by looking at his art, since his sprite is very simple. I could see him getting in years before the other two, although his "fan group" doesnt seem to be as vocal as the other two!.

Ice Climbers : 50%

I'll use my additional votes to nominate Chorus Kids x 10

Freduardo

Smash Champion
What makes him interesting is the concept, but outside of that concept, he's just a generic knight.

To be fair, K. Rool is no longer listed in the nominations post. However, considering the circumstances, yeah, we really don't need to rate him again. Not now anyway, the opinion will have barely changed in two weeks. Its probably better to wait until after E3 a tleast.
Yes, he's just a generic knight personality with a shovel.

And Frog from Chrono Trigger was just a generic knight personality with a frogman's body.

The game had numerous dream sequences, dialogue before every boss, his direct relationship to Shield Knight. His rivalry with the dark knight. Dude had a personality to his character as well as a unique concept, unique fighting style, and unique game.

The real question is with PS4 getting Kratos and Xbox getting Battletoads, why the hell hasn't Nintendo shown me Zelda II style Link playable in Shovel Knight? Or Pit? Pit would work pretty well actually.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Character Chance Ratings

1: Wolf - 97.5%
2: Rayman - 60%
3: Snake - 55%
4: Inkling - 50%
5: Krystal - 45%
6: Dixie Kong - 43%
7: Impa - 40.5%
8: Captain Toad - 30%
9: Quote - 21.5%
10: Shantae - 20.5%
11: Shovel Knight - 20%

Character Want Ratings

1: Shovel Knight - 100%
1: Wolf - 100%
2: Shantae - 87%
3: Snake - 85%
3: Impa - 85%
4: Inkling - 30%
5: Rayman - 25%
6: Quote - 23%

7: Krystal - 20%
7: Dixie Kong - 20%
8: Captain Toad: 5.5%

Abstains (Inactivity)

King K. Rool
Banjo-Kazooie
Isaac

Abtsains (Indifference)

n/A

RATINGS

Chance - 21.5%: Quote has a couple of factors making him more relative to Nintendo than either Shantae or Shovel Knight or possibly any other indie we haven't brought up yet. However, I do not see him gaining any traction in prelim polls, so the other two titans have a huger leeway of support helping them.

But Quote immediately takes the strongest chance from those two due to the fact that his game originates from Japan, has exclusivity with Nintendo to the point of porting and remastering 5 total versions off of one game. Don't think the Steam version even matters at that point. Cave Story garnered so much attention and praise that you can say it pretty much said the precedent for more recent indie icons like Shovel Knight. Nicalis has even given the go-ahead for Quote's Smash support.

Yet we can't ignore the fact that Quote's indie straits shackle him down from progressing over more vocal 3rd party candidates. Yet alone being worthy of Sakurai's pedigree. He doesn't even have the legacy to outrank the likes of Shantae. He's just dwelling in this awkward space of ambiguity at this point. Maybe if the ballot took place like 5 years ago, Cave Story would've had the hype boom to push Quote's inclusion. Much like what we are currently experiencing with Shovel Knight.

I haven't played Cave Story before to be familiar with Quote's moveset, so I'm probably the least qualified to sell his potential. All I can go by is gameplay stubs, screenshots, and art. I can see Quote being a very agile, ranged character that uses his guns for most of his attacks. Possibly, he could even introduce an angling shot mechanic to Smash. Balrog could make a neat recovery too.

Want - 23%: I knew about Quote and Cave Story for a long time. Just never got around to playing his game. I hear that it reaches critical acclaim on par with Shovel Knight. Sure, Quote looks cool & unique enough that I wouldn't mind him at all. In fact, I'd probably grow closer to him and finally go about playing Cave Story. ($20s for the experience, wut?)

However, that's not to say that I wouldn't discount or even insta-purchase Cave Story as soon as he'd be announced. I see many of his supporters come down to this thread, detailing how awesome Cave Story was and why it should be mandatory everyone plays it. Personally, I could care less about Quote because I am not attached to him or his game. Yet this reminds me of those who want Shovel knight or Shantae so vehemently, myself included. I guess I couldn't really go wrong with Quote either.

Heh, now I know what it's like to have "my indies are better/more deserving than your's!"

PREDICTION

Ice Climbers

Chance - 45.6%
Want - 85.3%

NOMINATIONS

*Concept: No DLC Characters After Fighter Ballot x3
Galacta Knight x1
Sceptile x1

'Grats for the Sceptile lock!

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Chance 9%. He is the most likely indie third party character by far, though that's not saying all that much. He also greatly suffers with how split that vote is for the ballot with characters like Shovel Knight - he would really need a more united ballot presence to get anywhere.

Want 5% Nothing against his game, he just seems like an uninteresting character addition.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Quote's Chances: 5%

Quote's biggest hurdle is being very obscure and third party. Indie games don't quite have the name recognition that larger franchises do. There will be a lot of people who never heard of Cave Story and may pass up purchasing him simply by lack of recognition. It also doesn't help that the height Cave Story's popularity is years behind it now, and indie fans are more interested in seeing something more recent, such as Shovel Knight. It doesn't seem in Nintendo's best interest to put in the resources and time to bring about such a risky character so Quote looks extremely unlikely.

Quote's Want: 50%

Truth be told, I honestly prefer seeing characters from under-represented worlds leaps and bounds over yet another Mario or Pokemon character. Cave Story is a very fun game, but there are some other, more established games out there who I feel need the love more than it right now.

-----

Ice Climbers Chances : 40%

-----

Nominate:
Simon Belmon x3
Ryu x2

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Chances: 20%
An indie gaming icon, it's a string of unfortunate circumstances that prevent him from being rated higher.

Pros:
+Legacy: Arguably what makes Quote such a top contender form the indie market is Cave Story's stunning worldwide success that labelled him an indie legend. It was only a single game, and yet that single game found itself being remade onto recent consoles several times. In the end though it still started as a freeware PC download game, one so well done that it established indie gaming as we know it today.
+Lifetime: Surprisingly, Quote has been around for quite a while - circa 2004, predating virtually every other indie character that isn't Shantae (2002).
+Exposure: The defining advantage Quote has over the other indie characters is that he is actually well-known in Japan, something Shantae is scraping the surface of and Shovel Knight hasn't even begun working towards. It's not hard to find Cave Story either with all the remakes out there.
+Playability: Cave Story has plenty of weapons for Quote to make use of in the game and a few unique mechanics he could bring with him. He'd end up being a mostly-ranged fighter like Mega Man or Duck Hunt surely, which might end up pretty neat depending on how closely they follow the reference material.

Cons:
-Relevance: ...And then we get into what makes him one of the bottom contenders despite his iconic status: Cave Story has fallen off the radar in recent days. Not terribly surprising since despite the quantity of remakes, Nicalis is just applying more coats of paint to the same product over and over again. It doesn't help that any real fan of the game (myself included) would just refer you to the (free!) original game made by Pixel rather than suffer through all the things Nicalis butchered in their localization***.
-Popularity: An unfortunate result of the above, Quote is overshadowed by more recent indie protagonists, not the least of which are his main competition Shovel Knight and Shantae. If not for that, his chances would probably be a lot more favourable.
-Legacy: Hey, I never said these couldn't both be a pro and a con! Despite the huge spiel about his legend up there, his presence on Nintendo proper isn't spectacular due to Cave Story being intended as a multi-platform game. He's basically in the same boat as Shovel Knight, only Quote's side of the boat is a bit fancier.

Want: 75%
I'd be more okay with Quote than Shovel Knight due to his icon status. I still like Shantae more, but Quote is an indie character I'd accept.

*** Nicalis butchered a lot of things in their localization, mostly story-related. Major example: one of the antagonists says in the original, "you remind me of that robot from years ago", but due to Nicalis' meddling it gets muddled into, "you remind me of that robot I banished to a pit not even five minutes ago". They also removed a couple of items and dialogue because of HOLY **** THINK OF THE CHILDREN reasons even though they weren't that bad (i.e.: removing every instance of the words "die", "dead" or "kill"). I'm a hobbyist fanfiction writer that takes his writing style a little seriously, so seeing a story b****rdized like that just GRINDS MY GEARS. And to be frank, the scant little bonus content or 3D or whatever isn't worth the money, when the original version with superior storytelling is still fully available. If you're at all interested in Cave Story, just get the original, seriously.

...Okay, rant over. Moving on.

----------

Ice Climbers:
Prediction: 70%
A pretty high prediction! The hardware limitations that prevented them from being in the game were made bluntly clear by Sakurai, but I doubt that's going to stop anyone from voting for them in the ballot.

----------

Nominations: Bayonetta x5

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
You Know My Name, Not My (Cave) Story: Quote Chances
Chance: 12%

Man, I don't know about this one. Probably the least I've known a character I'm interpreting here. While Quote is like a grand-daddy of indie, I don't see Smash as the place for indie folk in general. Granted, there's been enough brand loyalty to Nintendo with Quote having few forays outside of Nintendo consoles save for a PlayStation version somewhere and the obvious original on PC, and as far as I'm aware an updated version of Cave Story is currently available as a 3DS eShop thing. However, that does not a great character make. He's relatively obscure, my knowledge of him personally was quite limited. I can't help but feel that despite moveset potential, Quote hasn't hit the acclaim that some of the other roster characters have. He's not got a massively active fanbase unlike some other characters, either, which hinder chances. My rating is low based on the feeling I get that if he were to be included, it would be way out of left field and besides, we already kind of have enough robot children for one game..

Want: 25%
Sure, why not. Not much else to say I suppose. Could be interesting moveset wise, but I'm not going to go out with a Vote for Quote picket sign just yet. Quote fans, convince me-- I've not seen much convincing material from your side just yet.

Ice Climbers Chance Prediction: 32.22%
Even though the Ice Climbers are definitely, definitely, definitely, definitely, NOT returning as DLC this time around, I feel as though people might ignore that and vote as though there were no technical limitations holding them back. In a perfect world, I could predict 0% and get it right on the money but hey, that's life. So assuming people will be ignoring the fact they've been straight-up deconfirmed, I'm going for a relatively high prediction here.

Another day-ton, another four votes for Professor Layton. As I'm sure people will eventually get annoyed if I keep including new characters to the list, I'm going to do this one, and then I promise, promise, PROMISE that it'll never happen again. Pinky promise. But hey, maybe everyone will remember what fun we had on the NES trying to play Ghosts n Gobli-- and we're dead... and people will maybe consider voting for-- we're dead again...

4x Professor Layton
1x Sir Arthur (Capcom's Ghosts n Goblins)

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Quote:

Chance - 0%
Want - 0%

I'm sorry, but I don't even know who this character is...clearly is not as popular as Shantae or Shovel Knight, both of who did not fair too well in this thread...

Prediction:
Ice Climbers - 42%

Nominations:
Paper Mario x3
Daisy x2

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Quote:

Chance: 20%
I can see him in over shovel knight if only for the fact that he has some eastern coverage as well.

Want: 70%
I'm Cave Story trash, what do you want from me.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Quote:
Chance: 1%.
The same as other indie characters. While he could be regarded as the "king of indie characters" like others have suggested, I don't think that helps much. Indie is indie, and like Shovel Knight he has one game that is not even strongly associated with Nintendo. And even then, Quote doesn't have sensationalist support behind him.

Want: 25%. Cave Story doesn't really appeal to me at all, and neither does this character.
------------------------------------------------
Ice Climbers prediction: 35%. A mixture of the "it could happen" voters and the "0%" voters. ;)
------------------------------------------------
Nominations:
Jill Valentine x3
Wolf Link and Midna x2

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
wait seeing a lot of mixed ratings on Ice climbers are we going to rate them as a Duo or as a revamped Single character? because I literally can't decide how to vote for them tomorrow.... are we going to split the concept or ?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Quote:

Chance - 1%
I have no familiarity with the character, other than hearing in here that he's "an icon of the indie genre." Okay. Since I really don't see him being suggested on the level of indie characters like Shovel Knight or Shantae, it makes me think that he's basically to the indie genre what Ryu is to the fighting game genre. By that, I mean he's the most familiar face, but is cast aside as less interesting than the flashy new choices that overshadow him. That, combined with the comparison made by @ S Senselessbreak yesterday, where you can be the star of your high school play while not being Hollywood material, makes me think he's got little chance, although I will rate him more highly than I did with the lesser indies due to longevity.

Want - 0%
See my Shovel Knight description.

Ice Climbers Prediction - 17.5%

Nominate Chorus Kids/Men x5

Last edited:

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
Quote:
Chance: 1%
Really the only advantage he has over other Indies is that he has a Japanese fanbase, but if I'm not mistaken I wouldn't exactly call that fanbase "large". I think most of his support still comes from the west (I'll be happily proven wrong though). Really I just see all of these Indies fighting against each other and diminishing each others chances. None of them are going to cut above from the rest, and when all is said and done, they'll probably all end up with rather low ballot results because they will just fight amongst themselves.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. I'm not interested in seeing any Indies in this game. I respect Quote for being one of the original Indie characters, but I would never dare call him Smash caliber.

Ice Climber Predictions:
2% (If vote is for original Ice Climbers from Melee/Brawl)
30% (If vote is for a single Ice Climber)

Nominations
RH Character x3
Themed Stage Packs x2

ferioku

Smash Ace
I missed Wolf and Shovel Knight but here goes =O

Wolf
Chance: 99.9%
I really think that wolf is coming back and there's no way that Sakurai would ignore him, especially when adding lucas.

Want: 100% Why on earth was my Brawl/PM main cut -_-, i seriously love Wolf and I really want him back in the roster, he's definitely my top 4 picks and I hope he joins in alongside Isaac Roy and K.Rool!

Shovel Knight
Chance: 40%
Not really sure about Shovel Knight, but he was released only just recently and he barely has any history with Nintendo.
Although... I think his chances are quite good, especially because Sakurai announced that he will be adding quite a lot of characters to the roster because of his fans. =D

Want: 40%
He's interesting but he doesn't give me as much hype as Isaac, Wolf Roy and Krool.
i'm looking to get the game though, looks quite interesting.

Chance: unsure

Not too many people know about quite, and i'm not even that familiar with him.

Want: unsure
Again i'm not too familiar with quote to be judging him =D

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Chance: 1.8%
Abstain from explanation. I'll give the cave exploring indie a total of 1.8%.
I think I'm done explaining my ratings for indie characters...

Want: 1.3%
Abstain from explanation.

Prediction - Ice Climbers: 37.4%

Nominations:
x3 Toon Zelda
x2 Tetra

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
Quote chance: 0.5%
Quote want: 0.0%

Ice Climbers Prediction: 24.01%

Nominations:
Anthony Higgs x4
Bayonetta x1

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
"Quote"
Chance: 5%
Want: 10%
He's got a cool looking hat... that's about it.

Ice Climbers Prediction: Abstain

Nominations:
9-Volt x5

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Quote - 5%

I don't know much about Cave Story other than it was a huge success and that it's an Indie game, so I can't really say much about Quote, other than that he doesn't stand much of a chance, given he's an Indie character with only one game.

Want - Abstain

Nominations: Tetra x5

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I feel that before people make their predictions for the climbers, they should consider this:
"Nintendo Life reports that while this problem most likely could have been fixed it wasn't a priority for Sakurai as the Ice Climbers really didn't need promotion since there are no real plans for the "Ice Climber" franchise. Furthermore since both games share the same characters it would be unfair to only have these characters in the Wii U version and absent from the 3DS."​
Source: http://www.latintimes.com/super-sma...firms-no-ice-climbers-and-explains-why-262292

What this essentially tells me is yes, there were techical limitations for the Ice Climbers. Does that mean there was no work around? No, when it comes down to it, what really kept the Ice Climbers out was "lack of priority." With the extra time DLC provides, Ice Climbers really can be a thing. Besides, think about Rosalina and Luma. Despite how people say they work differently (which I'm sure they do), they are also awfully similar to the Ice Climbers.

Just wanted to point this out so that people can make better judgement of predictions. I've checked multiple sources and they all seem to say the same thing. There were technical limitations, but these probably could have been worked around if the duo had "more priority."

Top Bottom