• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Bayonetta
Chances: 25% is not that high, but her chances are better than other's (if the other isn't Wonder Red)
Want: 100% She was saved by Nintendo to give us the chance to have her amiibo and don't look like pervs.

Prediction:
Palutena Chats: 50% we don't know nothing...

Noms:
Bub/Bob x5 :bubblebobble:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Adding my prediction for fixing the glitch

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
And...you thought Samus's heels were bad?

Bayonetta

Chance: 2%
Here's the thing...Ryu has pretty much opened the door for the possibility that each company may get a second character added for DLC...Bayonetta is one of the frontrunners due to her being a part of Sega and with Nintendo 'lending a hand' for Bayonetta 2 (which fans were actually very displeased by it being a Wii U exclusive, despite not realising that it would've never happened at all if not for Nintendo stepping in)...In Bayonetta 2 you could also pick and choose between a few Nintendo themed costumes for Bayonetta to rock out in inlcuding Link's tunic and Samus's Varia Suit, pretty much reminding fans of the relations between Nintendo and Sega currently...
There was also a bit of speculation that she'd come in being a ZSS clone (coincidentally they both have moles on the same place on their chins...weird that I noticed that, but yeh), although it is likely that Bayonetta will be a bit more 'showy' with her attacks than Samus who's more to the point...

There are a few problems for Bayonetta though...

One; she is a bit, 'inappropriate' for an E rated game...I mean she becomes butt naked while doing some of her attacks, not too mention she has a very seductive attitude...this can be worked around to an extent, although her promiscuity is a huge part of her character, and may in fact compromise her entirely if Sakurai changes it...just for the sake of keeping it kid friendly...I mean Sakurai removed a trophy for Tharja (a very popular Fire Emblem character, mind you), that right there pretty much show's you how careful Sakurai is treading with the ESRB...An M rated character coming into an E rated game is a verrrrrry risky proposition, not to mention the use of 'real' world firearms...Snake's attacks were handled a certain way to keep the rating down and Brawl was Rated T, this game is rated E, remember that...This is where the main problem comes into play...

Two; She's Third Party, sure Nintendo and Sega are pretty much sworn enemies turned best friends but there is still licensing that is required in order for her to be included and other paper works and all the shabang...which leads me to the next point...

Three; She's practically a toddler in the gaming world...I mean two games, that's it...Compare that to other third parties associated with Smash and she doesn't even come close...Sakurai has stated that third parties are going to need to be 'special cases' and considering that Bayonetta is still a developing franchise which almost came to a complete halt if not for nintendo doing their part to keep it up...She has some demand but as a third party character that is still working itself up as a franchise, the risk is too great, at least until her games actually become a bit more established in the grand scheme of things...

Four; Nintendo has already done a crap ton for the franchise to stay afloat, instead of throwing them a bone they threw them the entire skeleton...In that regard it is questionable if they will do more, on one hand Nintendo has done a lot for the Bayonetta series and may not do anymore, on the other hand, they might as well go the full mile...

Bayonetta is far from being a good enough 'special case' for Sakurai too consider and her 'assets' clash with this E rating he's been working hard to maintain...She still has the third party borders that need to be crossed, and Sakurai may want to look elsewhere for someone a bit less controversial...And by controversial I'm not talking WFT or ROB 'I didn't see that coming' controversial either...

----

Want: 5%
And I'm being very generous...Never really found the game appealing to be honest...I tried looking into some let's plays and walkthroughs and got bored after about 20 minutes (didn't help her sidekick, whoever he was was annoying as ****!)
To me she's not even that attractive, but very bizarre with her exceedingly long proportions (seriously, is she like twelve heads tall?)...Anyways I never really liked the idea of Bayonetta in Smash, not because of her promiscuity, or her use of firearms or her absurdedly exaggerated proportions...just never saw the appeal to be honest...

Anyways when it comes to a second Sega rep, we've got Tails (even though he's from the same game as Sonic) who actually has a legacy behind him being a :4luigi:-tier gaming icon in his own right, and would probably be a bit more well received as DLC...

----

Prediction: 14.5%
Concept: Palutena's Guidance Conversations
There's gonna be some optimism (for some reason) but based on Mewtwo's Guidance it tells me that there is no intention for DLC characters to get their own conversations...although it could also be a placeholder for later, but I doubt it...

Prediction2: 72.3%
Concept: Fixing :4rob: Eye Glitch
err...there's a glitch? I don't use ROB very much but if there is, I'm sure there's a likelihood that once they get word of the glitch then it'll be patched eventually...

----

Nominations:
Concept: DLC Adventure Mode x3 (MOAR ENEMIES!!!!!...lots more enemies! Zebesians! Baby Sheegoths! Magmoors! Ing Warrior! Omega Metroid! Paragoombas! Boos! Bloopers! Cheep Cheeps! Wigglers! Like Likes! Pols Voice! Wizzrobe! Tektites! More Pokemon enemies? Rattata? Spearow? Diglett? Reuniclus? Drowzee? Excavalier? Amoongus? Ditto? Unown? Weepingbell? Perhaps some legendary boss types like Terrakion?)
Concept: Alpha Stages x1
!Rerate: Inklings x1

Last edited:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
(Like in the Young Link analysis, I recommend to not skip ahead and rate anyway)
Thanks to @PushDustIn and @Spazzy_D for editing!

(I am using every argument I can recall in the Official Character Discussion thread and the 35 Factors to Consider for DLC for this analysis, which I recommend using)
(I also rechecked many times to make sure I'm not flaming anyone here)
Warning: a load of pictures, videos, and gifs incoming!

Music to enjoy reading

Bayonetta Chance:
25%
Bayonetta, is currently the one of the most debated characters right now when it comes to Smash DLC. People bring up her over-sexualization and non-iconicness against her. However, is it really a problem for her to get in? Like Young Link, I have encountered nearly every single argument against her, so I will show that there are positives for Bayonetta and that she can overcome the negative aspects. With that, let's get started and I recommend to NOT IGNORE and read every inch of this before you rate:

SUPER RATING SAIYAN ACTIVATE!

+A highly requested character.
Ever since this the ballot was announced, Bayonetta support skyrocketed, most notably within the Tumblr and Twitter communities. If Sakurai didn't plan her pre-ballot, her high amount of votes should get Sakurai to consider her.

+Platinum Games support for her.
Like any other third-party company, PG and Kamiya are currently advocating for her inclusion.
Kamiya has said multiple times to stop spamming his twitter, but that won't stop him from including her if Sakurai approached him and he wouldn't let the fans get the worst of him. He has said years ago he would be more than happy to include her if Sakurai wanted to:

+Platinum Games relationship with Nintendo.
Based on the many tweets Platinum Games has had with Sakurai:

There are also tweets regarding Platinum Games here too.
I think it's safe to assume that these guys are pretty close friends, as close as Kojima is with Sakurai, so Kamiya could easily approach and ask about adding one of his characters.

The game studio itself even has its own article for Iwata Asks too. Nintendo has helped out with promoting Bayonetta 2 by teaming up with Playboy and putting her as one of the advertised characters for Women's History Month (Being one of the few 3rd parties included). That should tell you how close Nintendo and PG are currently, and how easy it is to just ask for Bayonetta to be playable.

+She comes from a decently popular third-party franchise that has a new audience to cater to.
Her franchise manages to top nearly a total of 3 million in sales, making it a well known franchise to many recent gamers and PS3/Xbox 360 fans alike (a new audience that Nintendo can try to bring through her inclusion); with each installment having high critical reception. It also managed to get an anime film and its own merchandise in the form of CDs and books, definitely something other minor third-parties don't have. This gives Bayonetta therown edge. It's a notable enough franchise for Sakurai to approve her inclusion. She's one of PG's most well beloved characters and she made many cameo appearances in other Platinum games like Wonderful 101 and Anarchy Reins.

+++Bayonetta by far has the most interesting and distinct moveset potential out of all candidates!
And it is by far the most beneficial advantage Bayonetta has. The first step in how Sakurai decides third-parties is if they have unique stand-out characteristics that make them distinct from characters in the cast right now.

I strongly believe that she would be the most distinct addition to Smash since Snake back in Brawl. Out of all characters I have seen suggested (and trust me, I seen every one of them during my time on Smashboards for over two years), she is definitely one of the most unique characters who can provide loads of moves that fit the context of Smash well. You will be convinced that she has a load of potential once you read the moveset analyses and moves fans have worked hard and provided to show you that. Do not ignore and skip lightly!

Moveset Analysis made by @Smash Daddy :

Where to begin? Lets start from the basics: Bayonetta has dozens of weapons she can use to have a range of attacks from all distances and on every input. The ones I can immediately remember from the first game are a sword, a giant pair of claws and a whip. These all have more versatility than you'd immediately think, they have dozens of attacks on their own. But that's only the start. Bayonetta has a variety of guns to attach to her heels, to start she uses a pair of pistols, but can find or buy shotguns, revolvers and other firearms to take their place. In short, she has a tremendous amount of projectiles on top of melee.

That is not even touching upon all the other things she can do. She has hand-to-hand combat that can easily be its own moveset all on its own, except it also summons monsters to synchronize her attacks with giant boots, punches and stomps that come through humongous portals. She can summon torture machines at will to execute monsters on the fly if they're weak enough. For the finale on a boss, she has an assortment of huge demons to summon that are obvious final smash fodder, but surely could be used to inspire a move or two.

If you want a simple basis for a moveset, it's not as if it's intimidating to create one. She has an obvious standard projectile in her pistols she carries around normally, that can be rapid-fired at all times in the first game to whittle down a foe's health. Bayonetta transforms into various animals, including a bird and panther for an obvious recovery. Multiple mid-air jumps can be purchased in the game as well as defensive measures or items that have a variety of unique effects. Bayonetta can even walk on walls and ride missiles to name a couple of many, many inane abilities of the character.

I almost forgot to add how she can stop time. I'm sure I missed a huge amount in this long summary that are obvious to a big Bayonetta fan.

Here's a moveset with attacks that come from Bayonetta 2.

Moveset by @Ixbran (Bless him greatly for providing gifs of the moves)

MOVESET
First off, Moveset for the Wonderful Witch her self. Rather than giving her different attacks based off her various weapons, I feel all of her attacks, outside of Animal Transformations, should focus on what she can use with just her guns.

Yes she is a capable fighter with any weapon, but since her guns are her most iconic weapon, I feel they should be the only ones she’d use in her smash bros appearance. Note if the move she performs in a .gif has a name, it will be listed. If it doesn’t, a name describing the ability will be listed instead.

Note: as a Special Gimmick, when attacking with her standard attacks, holding down the attack button after pressing it will cause her to shoot magical bullets, just like in the Bayonetta series.

SPECIALS
  • Neutral Special: Charge Bullet

• Default: Charge energy to fire several rapid fire shots.
    • Variation 1: Charges a massive orb of magic energy in her gun then fires it. Functions similarly to Samus’s Charge Shot.
    • Variation 2: Instantly rapid fire small magic orbs from her gun. Functions similarly to Palutena’s Autoreticle.
  • Side Special: Panther Within

• Default: Transforms into a panther and dashes forward at double standard speed. Press the button again to perform a slashing claw attack.
    • Variation 1: Transforms into a panther and dashes forward at triple standard speed. Transformation lasts only a short period of time, no slash attack.
    • Variation 2: Transforms into a panther and dashes a short distance before performing a powerful slash attack.
  • Up Special: Crow Within

• Default: Transforms into a crow and gains height as if from a 3rd jump. She will slowly descent while in crow form, and players are able to maneuver her as she descends. Functions similarly to Palutena’s Jump Glide.
    • Variation 1: Transforms into a crow and feather darts will float around her forming a damaging shield as she descends. Functions similarly to Megaman’s Lief Shield.
    • Variation 2: Transforms into a crow and darts in player generated direction. Functions similarly to Pikachu’s Quick Attack.
  • Down Special: Witch Time

• Default: Strikes a pose, and if struck, Bayonetta will both counter the attack and the enemies movement will slow down if the attack hits, as if under the effect of the Timer item, for a short period of time.
    • Variation 1: Strikes a pose, and if struck, Bayonetta will vanish then appear behind opponent and perform a meteor smash on the enemy from behind. Functions similarly to Lucario’s Double Team.
    • Variation 2: Strikes a pose, and gains a temporary boost in movement and attack speed, at the cost of strength.
STANDARD
  • Jab Attack: Standard Punch Combo
  • Dash Attack: Stiletto
  • Ledge Recovery Attack: Arching Heel Stomp
  • Ground Recovery Attack: Rising Spin Kick
Tilt Attacks
  • Forward Tilt: Tetsuzanko
  • Up Tilt: High Kick
  • Down Tilt: Sweeping Spin Kick
Smash Attacks
  • Side Smash: Straight Punch Wicked Weave
  • Up Smash: Uppercut Punch Wicked Weave
  • Down Smash: Stomping Heel Wicked Weave
Aerial Attacks
  • Neutral Aerial: Rotating Heel Gun Kick
  • Forward Aerial: After Burner Kick
  • Back Aerial: Three-Hit Kick Combo
  • Up Aerial: Witch Strike
  • Down Aerial: Long Fall Heel Drop
Throws
  • Pummel: Back and Forth Toss Torture Attack
    (a.k.a.”Bayonetta Smash!”)
  • Forward Throw: Spin and Throw Torture Attack
  • Up Throw: Air Bear Trap Torture Attack
  • Back Throw: Iron Maiden Torture Attack
  • Down Throw: Anarchy Reigns Heel Confetti Stomp
Misc
  • Dodge Animation: Bat Within Technique
Final Smash
Infernal Demon Summon:Omne The Controller of Creation

Even then, there are still a load of other moves that have not been mentioned by supporters here that could be used for moves. Her potential is almost infinite. (And yes I showed you a load of gifs on purpose because I want to emphasize that uniqueness is her strongest point to her inclusion)

It's time to take a break..... DANCE! Let your eyes relax through this gif!

Ready to read some more, let's keep going! You'll survive don't worry!

Arguments Against Bayonetta:

As far as I'm concerned, there are only a few arguments that come up all the time when it comes to her inclusion, however I think these flaws can be potentially overcome with the positives in her favor:

Bayonetta is too sexualized in combat and in personality to be in Smash! If Tharja couldn't get in as a trophy, she has no chance!

Special thanks to this reddit post for addressing these issues:

Reasons Bayonetta is NOT too adult for Super Smash Bros
  • Bayonetta does not need to be any more revealingly dressed than Zero Suit Samus. Sure, in the Bayonetta games, her clothes come off for some attacks, but this is actually a relatively minor detail in the games, which could easily be omitted while still doing proper justice to the character. If they left that out, then she actually shows off less skin than bikini ZSS and swimsuit Shulk.
  • Bayonetta would not be the first character with M-Rated games to make Super Smash Bros. The (only) other is Snake. To be sure, the Metal Gear Solid series and Bayonetta series got M-Ratings for very different reasons, but both were clearly not geared towards children. Both games feature guns, violence, coarse language, and more. Plus I think the Metal Gear Solid series is a lot darker thematically.
  • If her inclusion doesn't cross any boundaries that Nintendo hasn't already crossed with bikini ZSS or Snake representing M-Rated games, then it's hard to see how concerns like these could outweigh the many great reasons to include her.
I know that Bayonetta can look very controversial when it comes to the camera angles in the games' cutscene, but that's not going to translate into Smash Bros. gameplay anyway since it's obvious the camera is not going to zoom towards her parts. That's not what Smash Bros. is about.

Thanks to this tumblr post, I can tell you in good detail on her default appearance on how far she strips off her clothes in Bayonetta 2, and it's not that bad:

This is her default appearance without her attacking. Is it really that controversial as Tharja's trophy?
She covers pretty much most of her body here. She isn't controversial with her default appearance, making her ok to put in even as a potential trophy.

This is her when she's pulling off a full on attack on an enemy. And honestly it's not that bad, it covers what is needed to be suitable for Smash. The only bit iffy parts is her chest, but Sakurai could easily just cover it up so it's not a huge problem. She'd still be able stay true to her arousing personality, but only cover what's necessary. Even then, it is a minor detail that lasts less than a second during combat and is pretty hard to notice during gameplay. People are overexaggerating the problem here.

Kamiya and Sakurai would know (and are smart enough to know) that she would have to be toned down in terms how far she strips down her clothes and how far she would go in terms of personality in order for her to get in the game while still being true to Bayonetta.

Look here too:
Thanks to @ Megadoomer Megadoomer for the video:
Other appearances (developed by Platinum themselves) show that it's entirely possible to tone her down while still staying in character. So really is it a problem here?

HE'S NOT AS SUPER ICONIC AS RYU, MARIO, MEGAMAN, SONIC, AND PAC-MAN! He can't be in Smash ever.
Yet, there is no specific criteria rules other than the interview in Famitsu in October and his "special case" criteria, which Sakurai is very vague. We don't know if Sakurai will just strictly add just super famous icons as DLC, for all we know, he could just change his mind even though Sakurai said things against certain characters like "no fighting game characters aloud" pre-Smash 4. And him allowing any video game character to be voted suggests to me that he's open to more choices that aren't just icons as long as they have convincing qualities that make for a great fighter. If the rules can be broken for fighting game characters, the unconfirmed rules can be potentially broken for 3rd parties too.

But the guns! They are the essential part of Bayonetta's character, no real life guns aloud!

I have to say when small guns like the above fire at a ridiculous rate with a fashionable colorful design, they actually feel less closer to a real life gun and more like a fantasy weapon, for the most part her weapon is ok. If her weapon was a rifle, then I would be concerned, but as far as it goes, it's not and can be implemented in Smash. If Sakurai doesn't want the bullets to be shown here, then just make the guns shoot muzzle flashes and make the shots nearly unseeable, like with Sheik's needles.

This looks and acts nowhere close to the average gun you would see in real life:

There would be other SEGA characters that would be prioritized before her!
I do not believe that many SEGA IPs have been notably close to Nintendo like Bayonetta aside from Sonic. The only other notable SEGA characters being requested right now are Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow; that's really Bayonetta's only competition. In my opinion, though they are pretty iconic characters, the other Sonic characters do not have much of a merit with moveset potential to make them as good of a choice as Bayonetta. Plus the fact she caters to a new audience (and not just the Sonic fanbase) makes her one of the better choices for DLC.

Kamiya doesn't want them in!
Even though Kamiya has said multiple times to stop spamming his Twitter, that won't stop him from including her if Sakurai approached him. He has said years ago he would be more than happy to include her if Sakurai wanted to.

She doesn't fit Smash very well!
Probably the least important factor Sakurai has stated. There are very rare cases in which a character can feel out of place visually, but most newcomers fit in just fine. They blend in the game in a different distinct way, like with Snake.

I believe that Bayonetta has a pretty good shot overall. In my opinion, the major negative factors hindering her chances is other noteworthy SEGA characters and being a third-party since more has to be done than a Nintendo character. Sakurai has added third-party trophies in the games from different companies without a problem. I think that if he has no problem with this, he shouldn't have a problem with Bayonetta either. I'm confident Sakurai knows Bayonetta well enough to address the issues fans bring up so she can be in the game, especially with how close PG games is with Nintendo right now.

Bayonetta Want:
101%
Let me just get this out of the way.

I desperately want Bayonetta to happen. My want stems back in the uniqueness tier list thread (Which I am the thread creator of), back when I had 0% interest in buying the game when Bayonetta 2 was announced When the moveset potential analysis for Bayonetta began, a notable amount of people brought up that she had an extreme load of potential and gave her an analysis, @Smash Daddy created an analysis that intrigued me into checking out her support thread. For some reason though, I had a strange good feeling she would get in the game someday as DLC, though I didn't really get to pinpoint that feeling until much later.

Months later, I got the game for my Christmas money, though I didn't play it yet because I lost my Wii U Gamepad for a temporary while and mainly I was playing through and grinding through Bravely Default (Which took over my life for a while). Honestly, I thought I would lose my interest quickly when I started up the original Bayonetta. And holy cow was I really surprised. The very smooth gameplay, the many cool stylish attacks Bayonetta can do with her, and her unique personality, it was unlike any other game I played. The more moves that I unlocked throughout my play through, the more I realize how large her moveset potential is. I want her in this game so badly... and it's exciting to know which attacks will be implemented in the game because there is so many of them if you count the other weapons she buys and unlock throughout the game if Sakurai were to add her in.

Her not being added would be a truly missed opportunity for Sakurai, because when it comes to moveset potential, she shines brilliantly, and that's what I really like about her more than any positive I listed in the Chance rating.

Nominations:
x5 Isabelle

(READ ABOVE FIRST! EVERYONE SHOULD DO SO AND NOT SKIP!)
These are only times where I go all out on rating a character, I would appreciate if you look back and read the rating. :)

Thanks for the heavily detailed analysis, and I wanted to add a few more thoughts.

If Bayonetta cannot make it in as Smash 4 DLC, then she can be the main "star" of Smash 5, with her own taunt talks. Unlike the last two games, where there were a few talkers and the dialogue is scrambled: Snake had 3 speakers, with fighters being talked by one of the talkers, plus slippy for falco; Pit had Palutena and VIridi, but the dialogue intermingles plus with Dark Pit and Chrom.
Bayonetta has 4 friends, each with a defined personality and character traits, has enough breadth to warrant a more structured approach while allowing room for inter-mingling

Priority ranking on fighter type from top to bottom
Bayonetta: Previous Taunt talk hosts (Metal Gear, Kid Icarus)
Jeanne: Females and clone like characters
Rodin: Villains
Enzo: Famous 3rd parties and super-famous Nintendo icons of 1980's, Super Mario related ( by series: Mario, DK, Wario, Yoshi), Mr. Game and Watch, Sonic
Luka: all others (but if a character has both male and female, then Luka get primary talk)

If fighters happen to have more than one type for the talkers, then interesting dialogue can be made between the talkers (example: Bowser, King K Rool - Rodin and Enzo, Ganondorf - Rodin and Jeanne, Peach, Daisy, Dixie Kong - Jeanne and Enzo, Dedede - Luka and Rodin (minor) )

Also the content tone-downs can be achieved, and more aspects can be considered, such as Angels and Demons. If these monsters get in, their defeat color will have to not be red since it resembles too much like human blood. Defeated angels will explode with blue blood, and the demons would explode in dark purple energy.

Last but not least, Bayonetta and Jeanne have the same set of abilities, so it can be possible for Jeanne to be added as a alternate within the Bayonetta character slot. Jeanne will still keep her repulsive and threatening language without resorting to vulgar words ( i.e. Flock off! would still fit for Jeanne instead of the canon phrase **** off!) Jeanne's inclusion can translate to varied costumes, which both witches receive different costumes, but the costumes follow the theme.

Example:
Themes: Bayonetta 2, Bayonetta 1, Mushroom Princess, Star Fox, Playable men, enemies, mothers, inkling women
Bayonetta -2, 1, Peach, Fox, Rodin, Joy, Rosa, Callie
Jeanne - 2, 1, Daisy, Falco, Balder, Alraune, Umbran Heir, Marie

Anyways... I am done with analysis

Chance: 20% - That is for Smash 4 DLC, but if smash 5 was included, then I would give 100 percent

Want: 101%

I played both games until I unlocked all weapons except the very hard to obtain ones.

I also agree that bayonetta using her hand and feet with guns is more than enough.
Although I have thought of the moon pearl meter, which acts the same as in Bayonetta games (fill it when giving damage, lose when taking damage), but when the meter is completely filled, she has two options: use fully charged smash attacks for more powerful climax smash, or execute deadlier torture attacks for throws.

Prediction:

New Palutena's Guidance: 23.6% - I believe that the actors will not be hired for new DLC characters unless done at the last minute

Fixing ROB's eye glitch: 70.6%

Nomination: Medusa x 5

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Fly us to the rating moon!
Bayonetta

Chance: 15
I think Bayonetta would be better to be suited up for an appearance in Smash 5. :p That said, if Sakurai and Kamiya can work together to make Bayonetta less sexualised for that game while still maintaining her bewitching attitude, she could be a good candidate for a second SEGA character outside of another Sonic the Hedgehog character or someone from Shin Megami Tensei/Persona

Want: 67%
Although I have both Bayonetta 1 and 2 on my Wii U backlog for after the HSC, and only playing a little bit of the demo of Bayonetta 2, I wouldn't be too opposed to Bayonetta, as long as they manage to strike the perfect balance between her sexuality and attacks to suit the environment of Smash Bros.

R.O.B Eye Glitch Prediction: 50%

Nominations: Yu Narukami (Persona 4) X4
Inklings X1

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
@ Aetheri Aetheri , Bayonetta 1 is also on Wii U with Bayonetta 2.

EDIT: Nice! Gonna go back and edit my votes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.

+++Bayonetta by far has the most interesting and distinct moveset potential out of all candidates!
And it is by far the most beneficial advantage Bayonetta has. The first step in how Sakurai decides third-parties is if they have unique stand-out characteristics that make them distinct from characters in the cast right now.

I strongly believe that she would be the most distinct addition to Smash since Snake back in Brawl. Out of all characters I have seen suggested (and trust me, I seen every one of them during my time on Smashboards for over two years), she is definitely one of the most unique characters who can provide loads of moves that fit the context of Smash well. You will be convinced that she has a load of potential once you read the moveset analyses and moves fans have worked hard and provided to show you that. Do not ignore and skip lightly!
I disagree with this notion.
Yes, moveset potential is important, as well as uniqueness. I mean, uniqueness played a major part in deciding the newcomers and was the deciding factor between Robin and Chrom, but just because a character is unique doesn't mean they are automatically Smash material or in Smash. My prime example? King K. Rool. We've went on and on about how unique he could be, but he was excluded.
Uniqueness is a factor, but there are major problems lying ahead for Bayonetta that would prevent her inclusion.

Bayonetta is too sexualized in combat and in personality to be in Smash! If Tharja couldn't get in as a trophy, she has no chance!

Special thanks to this reddit post for addressing these issues:

Reasons Bayonetta is NOT too adult for Super Smash Bros
  • Bayonetta does not need to be any more revealingly dressed than Zero Suit Samus. Sure, in the Bayonetta games, her clothes come off for some attacks, but this is actually a relatively minor detail in the games, which could easily be omitted while still doing proper justice to the character. If they left that out, then she actually shows off less skin than bikini ZSS and swimsuit Shulk.
  • Bayonetta would not be the first character with M-Rated games to make Super Smash Bros. The (only) other is Snake. To be sure, the Metal Gear Solid series and Bayonetta series got M-Ratings for very different reasons, but both were clearly not geared towards children. Both games feature guns, violence, coarse language, and more. Plus I think the Metal Gear Solid series is a lot darker thematically.
  • If her inclusion doesn't cross any boundaries that Nintendo hasn't already crossed with bikini ZSS or Snake representing M-Rated games, then it's hard to see how concerns like these could outweigh the many great reasons to include her.
I know that Bayonetta can look very controversial when it comes to the camera angles in the games' cutscene, but that's not going to translate into Smash Bros. gameplay anyway since it's obvious the camera is not going to zoom towards her parts. That's not what Smash Bros. is about.

Let's look at the points.
1. Yes, there are moments where Bayonetta isn't as revealing or scantly clad as Zero Suit Samus, but being revealing and sexualized is a major part of her character and fighting style. Sakurai is all about making characters as accurate to their original portrayals as possible; Luigi finally has a scuttle jump, Donkey Kong can roll attack, Pit has moves from Uprising, and Robin has limited weapon usage for example. Because of this, it's hard to exclude that major aspect of Bayonetta from Smash. Yes, Zero Suit Samus has her shorts and Shulk has his swimsuit, but there is one major thing that is different; they aren't sexualized characters. You can argue about this with ZSS, but that isn't a major part of her character; it is for Bayonetta.
2. Now this requires a massive OBJECTION in it's own right. This game is rated E10+, Brawl was rated T. It was OK to include Snake in a T rated game, but including an M rated character in an E10 game, especially one like Bayonetta who is much harder to censor, would be much more difficult to implement. DLC has to be within the boundaries of the ESRB rating given, which Bayonetta fails in this regard as she would reference an M rated game. Snake's presence in Brawl was probably what made Brawl T rated in the first place, because it referenced an M rated game. Also, Snake's censoring is a lot different from censoring Bayonetta. Real world weapons were removed, but explosives were kept in, which did match with his character. Bayonetta would still need to be censored, and even more so thanks to her provocative moves.
3. Again, her situation is far different from bikini Samus and M rated Snake. There is a clear boundary that would be crossed with Bayonetta, much more than a pic of Samus that you see for like a few seconds in a few games (or if you referring to the shorts, they aren't revealing) or a character like Snake who can be toned down. You need to tone down Bayonetta to absurd degrees to make her work in Smash.

Also, you are overlooking one critical piece of evidence; evidence that contradicts those points.
That evidence is of course, Tharja! Yes, it was brought up in your counterarguments, but her exclusion as a trophy plays a much more key role here. For those who don't know, she is a character from FE: Awakening and was quite the popular character, so popular that she was planned to get a trophy but she didn't for a good reason. Here is artwork of her in Awakening:

As we can clearly see, she is incredibly revealing! Her outfit alone would boost the game's rating to T, which I bet Nintendo prevented in order to reach a broader audience with the E10 rating.
There is also a key term people describe her: the fan service character. Tharja and Bayonetta are quite similar in fact; they are both very fan servicey characters. The scope of Tharja's problem would reach tenfold if Bayonetta was included as a character because having sexualized attacks are a key part of Bayonetta's character.

SHE'S NOT AS SUPER ICONIC AS RYU, MARIO, MEGAMAN, SONIC, AND PAC-MAN! He can't be in Smash ever.
Yet, there is no specific criteria rules other than the interview in Famitsu in October and his "special case" criteria, which Sakurai is very vague. We don't know if Sakurai will just strictly add just super famous icons as DLC, for all we know, he could just change his mind even though Sakurai said things against certain characters like "no fighting game characters aloud" pre-Smash 4. And him allowing any video game character to be voted suggests to me that he's open to more choices that aren't just icons as long as they have convincing qualities that make for a great fighter. If the rules can be broken for fighting game characters, the unconfirmed rules can be potentially broken for 3rd parties too.
What this argument is merely going on a possible theory, one that has no evidence to back up such a claim. As such, your counterargument doesn't really help you and is merely moot.
What I will say is that to the public audience, people might not know who the hell Bayonetta is. People know who Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Ryu are and I bet people recognize Snake. These 3rd party characters are legendary and iconic, something that Bayonetta hasn't reached in terms of popularity and potential. She didn't revolutionize the gaming industry nor is she a popular icon.
So, with DLC, you need to choose a character carefully that could sell. Ryu is safe because he is an icon; people know who Ryu is. Bayonetta is a bit more obscure and would have trouble getting sales.

Now then, as you can see, my Chance and Want Score for Bayonetta are both 0%s.
In terms of chance, I think I explained why.
In terms of want, I never played her games, but I would feel pretty disgusted if she got in over other characters. I am OK with fan service characters as long as they have a likable personality... which Bayonetta lacks really from what I've seen. So... I guess that is more of a -100% in want.

New Palutena's Guidence Prediction: .11%

EDIT:
R.O.B. Eye Fix Prediction: 96.58%
I bet they will fix it.

Nominations: Owain 5x

Last edited by a moderator:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Bayonetta:

Chance - 1%
I honestly forgot she was still being bandied around in some corners of the Internet, it seems she's taken the backseat to the random indies in terms of unlikely third parties to rave about (not to mention guys like Snake or Rayman). Couple that with the existing reasons to hesitate the developers could easily have, and I think she's sunk. Tharja's trophy being removed is damning in terms of a much worse offender occupying a much more major role in-game goes.

Want - 0%
Pass.

New Palutena's Guidance Prediction - 15%

Nominate Remixed Music x5

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Bayonetta

Chance: 1%
There is some demand, but not enough, plus I'm not sure what she will do for the E10 rating, remember Snake was in a T rated smash game, not an E10 smash game.

Want: 0%
I haven't played any of the games.

Predictions: New Palutena's guidance 10%

Nominations: Sami X10.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Dang. More people need to play The Last Story....

I'll do my rate for Bayonetta later.

Serell

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
Said I would only come back for Pichu, but I completely forget we haven't rated Bayonetta.
Chance: 0%
get out. she's not going to work, and she's not going to get in.
@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 didnt read

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
@ Aetheri Aetheri , Bayonetta 1 is also on Wii U with Bayonetta 2.

EDIT: Nice! Gonna go back and edit my votes.
well then...edited...I don't play either anyways...not like it's gonna give her a big boost anyways...

Last edited:

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Bayonetta

Chance: 10%
Bayonetta certainly is recent and has seen moderate support in the ballot... however there's no denying she's a third party. She might have a better chance than indie characters, but Sakurai's comments and actions so far show that you must be an icon with a legacy in the video game world if you're a third party (Ryu's apparent inclusion supports the idea even further).

The series is known widely for its sexualization, and therefore will always have controversy from someone somewhere surrounding it. Sakurai could find a way to tone the character down, but with all the controversial points the series is known for, would he really be willing to add her?

Sorry to anyone out there, but with how limited the slots can be for a third party, there are other characters I'd prefer before Bayonetta. I like the series for its fantastic gameplay, but to be honest, Bayonetta's character never really caught my attention. Even if Ryu's inclusion means we can get characters from the same company, Tails, Eggman or Knuckles hold a huge legacy that Bayonetta won't manage to achieve.
I have a friend whose main interest in seeing Bayonetta comes from the sexualization present in her game; it makes me dislike the idea of Bayonetta in Smash even further.

Nominations
Someone mentioned Bubsy... bring it on.
Bubsy x5

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
No one said you could touch.

--

Bayonetta

Chance: 4%

Remember all the buzz she was getting back in April? Bayonetta saw a surge of support early on in the Smash Ballot's lifetime and still maintains moderate-to-below-average support now, for the most part. She also has the added plus of, as Blue demonstrated, having a surprising amount of moveset potential. At the very least, the developers wouldn't have to reach to give her a moveset.

But unlike so many other characters we've rated now, there are so many other complications that it doesn't matter much.
Bayonetta is very much an M-rated character, with an unmistakable air of sensuality that isn't as easy to take away as, say, Snake's guns were in Brawl. Where Brawl was rated T, Smash 4's E10 rating makes it that much harder to get a character from an M-rated series by the censors...to say no less of how much more censors crack down on sexual content than violence (case in point: the MIA Tharja trophy). And those sexual undertones wouldn't even be easy to remove without changing her overall feel significantly...enough to where--unlike Snake--she wouldn't feel like the same character she is in her home series.

And we've seen how not feeling true to character can be a big problem.

There're even other problems that don't have to deal with the giant and uncomfortably sexual elephant in the room! As a third party character, Bayonetta would involve that many more hoops to jump through compared to Nintendo-owned characters. And while she had a level of support back in April, it's fallen off quite a bit, leaving her amongst other "flavor of the month" characters who haven't seen a significant, lasting following.

Indeed, it looks like there are just too many issues for this witch to strut past.

Want: Abstain
For what it's worth, Bayonetta 2 is among the games I want to eventually buy once I get a Wii U.

Prediction for the Concept of New Palutena's Guidance Conversations: 23.25%
Prediction for the Concept of R.O.B.'s Eye Glitch Being Fixed: 89.25%

The latter is going off the other glitches we've seen fixed in the patches we've had. The former...is a complete guess. >_>

Nominations:
Looks like someone could use a little help making the cut.

Rundas x1
Absol x4

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
FYI, can we put massive walls of text and gifs in folders?!? BluePikmin, you're post killed my internet 5 times already!

Anyways...

Bayonetta

Chance - 0.75% - I'm sorry, but she's way to difficult for me to see her in. Thraja not being in kills her badly. Sure, there are some costumes in game that approach being sexualized, but the key here is that both of them are not as badly sexualized as either Shulk or ZSamus was. Bayonetta and Thraja's appeal mainly comes from their, to put it bluntly, sexualization, and it's arguably too much of a core part of their character to put away. More often than not, the core of a character will stay the same. Even if somethings have to be changed in the middle, the same basic concepts pervade throughout the character. ZSamus uses agility and evasion to keep out of harms way despite a few power buffs, Ness still is an "american" homeboy adventurer who uses PSI even if some of those aren't his, Gannondorf still is a powerhouse despite being a clone, and Robin is a strategist with magic powers despite not being able to use dark magic in his home games. Removing Bayonetta's sexuality is removing too large of a piece of their character; it comes close to allowing Little Mac to have kicks or letting Pikachu use Rain Dance. While they could do that, it makes little sense for their character and what makes them appealing. While it may be possible to do so, she isn't popular enough to overcome these limitations. Add on the fact that her parent company had so little faith in her that Nintendo had to take over, and it ended up flopping in sales anyway, and it's hard to see why she would be chosen.

Want - 35% - Bleh. While I say the giant weapons were too big of an appeal for Wonder Red, I still say that he would be a better choice than her.

Predictions

Palutena's Guidance Conversations - 7.89% - Shot in the dark. I'm more interested in the want, anyway.
Repairing ROB - 98.78% - Waste of a day. It's so going to be fixed.

Nominations
Karate Joe X5

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Google images destroyed my eyes, so please enjoy a picture of a :174: instead. Wait that isn't allowed? Fine.

Bayonetta:

Chances: 1% Despite the whole ESRB not rating Online interactions thingashabang, I doubt Nintendo would approve of her blatant oversexualization in a family friendly game. It would be PR suicide basically put. Even then, she is a third party character, who competes with Banjo-Kazooie, Shantae, Tails, Eggman and more. Also, even if Sakurai decides she isn't too oversexualized, The Big N would eventuallly step in, since like I said earlier, it is PR suicide.

Want: 0% MY EYES, THEY MUST BE WASHED, FOR THEY HAVE SEEN THY IMPURE. Seriously, oversexualization, and simply just sexualization for that matter, really bug me, I don't take to it very kindly. Not that I'll belittle you for thinking differently on that kind of thing, but I really disagree with something like this being in Smash Bros. It would grind my gears, and to be blunt it would also end up making that Miiverse stage a literal Hell. That's a fact, you know what the Miiverse will do if she's added on that stage, don't even try ta hide it.

Nominations: Dark Matter x 2 Bubsy x 3 (I'm willing to wager everything could wrong)

Predictions: Paul's guidance 8%

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Well seeing as that concept is already very close to the top I can grant an exception. I suppose the the best plan would be to make Friday a double ratings day and rate both Rob's eye bug fix and whatever's at the top of the nominations list.

Yes we probably should do that.

Zael
Chance: 1% - Not requested, not popular.
Want: 70% - I'm only rating him this high because of how cool he looks. I'm so shallow!!

Bayonetta prediction: 8%

Nominations: Aqua x5

DAY OVER
PLEASE WAIT WHILE I CALCULATE THE RESULTS
Thanks!

Bayonetta
Chance: 5%
Third party + censoring issues. Although Nintendo seems to love her
Want: 60%
I recently played both games for the first time and I loved them. I still don't like the idea of having multiple characters from one company but Bayonetta feels more like a Platinum character and would represent them, sega just so happens to have some ownership.

Prediction:
Palutena Guidance: 7%
R.O.B. eye bug fix: 87%
For those wandering what the issue is, in the 'SMASH' mode (and maybe online, I don't know). For some reason, R.O.B.s eyes don't seem to animate, at all.

This means:
No glitchy eyes when hurt
No sad eyes when grabbed
No angry eyes when performing up or down throw
No occasionally nodding off when standing still
No occasionally facing the screen and blinking (Can be seen in Classic ending)
No drowsy eyes when confused
Instead its just the same eyes the entire time.
For some reason they work fine in the 'Games and More' modes

Now, I have no idea what I'm going to nominate.
Uh? I guess as thanks I'll nominate x5 whatever colder_than_ice nominates.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Bayonetta chances: 1.25%
Bayonetta was a cult title originally released on PS3 and Xbox 360; a sequel was planned to release, but neither Sony or Microsoft were interested in seeing it released on their platform. Nintendo saw an opportunity here to save the project and make Bayonetta 2 a thing and, on top of that, exclusive to Wii U. And the cherry on the cake, port Bayonetta 1 to Wii U. Oh wait I'm not done yet, they've also put a lot of Nintendo contents on Wii U Bayonetta games, such as Chain Chomps as weapons and costumes based on characters like Fox McCloud, Samus, and Peach among others. And she also made a cameo in Wonderful 101... okay, I'm done now?

All of that created strong ties between Nintendo and Bayonetta, but she has some issues when it comes to make into Smash, the most obvious one being the fact that neither her or the Bayonetta series are owned by Nintendo. Also I don't think the success of Bayonetta 2 is strong enough to justify her series to be widely represented in Smash; Bayonetta 2 sold 600 000 copies worldwide I think, which isn't too bad considering the Wii U sold about 10 million worldwide, but it's not exactly near a huge impact or success.

However, we know the Bayonetta series has a future, as Platinum games has a planned storyline for future games. With Bayonetta having a decent success towards Nintendo fans, it is possible that she could be put as a fighter in Super Smash Bros. as a way to secure the series' bonds with Nintendo in the future, at least make sure future Bayonetta titles release on Nintendo platforms if not exclusives. However, the standards for third-party characters to become playable in Super Smash Bros. are very strict, as they're added in SSB to reward them for their historical influence, not to promote or secure them on Nintendo platforms. As I already said I don't think Bayonetta really meets those standards; her inclusion in SSB4 DLC to secure her relation with Nintendo is not something impossible, but it would be something unprecedented and I think very is unlikely to happen.

And to be honest, if anything I think a Bayonetta Mii costume would be something much more likely.

Bayonetta want: 2.4%
Super Smash Bros. is supposed to be a massive Nintendo crossover first and foremost, and as such I'd prefer to not see too many third-party characters getting in because it would detract from what the series is at its core. I'd see why Bayonetta would potentially be put in Super Smash Bros. as she honestly wouldn't feel like a random and worthless addition like some other third-party suggestions I see sometimes and am starting to be sick of (I won't mention anyone here), but I don't think she has earned a deserved spot in Super Smash Bros. yet and I think she would be added for the wrong reasons. I want characters to get into Smash Bros. mostly to be rewarded for what they did for their own series and what those did for Nintendo, and while I may be okay with first-party characters having a part of their legacy tied to Smash I'm much stricter about that with third-party characters.

Also there's the fact I have little interest in Bayonetta's games. I get the gameplay may be amazing, but I don't want to own a game with an oversexualized protagonist who for example goes naked after using a powerful attack, it just sounds... unappealing to me. Though I have a friend who's interested in getting Bayonetta 1 on the Xbox 360, so maybe I could give her a chance someday.

Also I'd rather have Wonder Red as a Platinum Games character in Super Smash Bros. At least he's owned by Nintendo.

"DLC characters get custom moves" sister concept prediction: 21.74%
Considering Palutena's Guidande is a stage specific easter egg and not a core gameplay feature contrary to custom moves, plus the fact they'll need specific people for voice acting, I'm not expecting it to do as well as its sister concept.

R.O.B. eye glitch fix prediction: 72.35%
Unpredictable score except for the fact that it will be high.

Nominating:
Concept: Battlefield form stages x4
Playable newcomer: Tetrimino x1

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Nanabatta
Chance:
Ok, let's look at Blue's arguments:

-A highly requested character-
That's nice to know and certainly a boon to her inclusion, but the the be-all deciding factor (especially if the request isn't Shovel Knight level)
Especially with interesting first-party choices "above" her (Not saying it's a popularity contest, but a measure of popularity)

-Platatatinum wants her-
Nice to know, doesn't skyrocket chances

-Platatatinum has good relations with Nintendo-
This is good.

-Has stuff and new stuff blabla merchandise-
We knew already that Bananetta had good sales.

-Uniqueness-
Yeah, and this is where I'm going to stop agreeing with you.
While sure, Bayonetta has a moveset writing himself, so have other candidates.
And others have a really unique moveset just by picking a trope and slapping a character on it.

Who knows, maybe ZSS would've taken the gun boots as artistic liberty instead of the Jetto Boots.

Pac-Man came in without perceived moveset potential.
Sakurai toyed with it and now we have the Cherry Slinging trap bohemoth he is.

It's not a con to have pre-Sakurai moveset potential, but not a big boon either since while Sakurai looks at the characters moveset potential, he can just as well make it himself.

-Not too sexual for Smash/M-Rated game-
SSBB was rated T, SSB4 is rated E10 and had to cut the Tharja-trophy.
I'm not going to say that it's a giant part of the character since if Sakurai uses moves directly from her games we have that part covered, and add "sexuality" with some naughty taunts.

-Guns-
Yeah, I agree.
Those things are Peanut Popguns.

-Legacy-
WELL UUUUH WEVE LIVED WITH GRAVITY FOR THOUSAND YEARS BUT IT COULD ALL BE FAKE RITE?
Joking aside, third party characters are a pretty big deal for Sakurai and while it doesn't make Bayonetta impossible (since he can break the rule), it does make her less likely. (Because you could just pick King K. Rool/another first party character and call it a day)

The rest is too little to adress honestl.

Same I gave Shovel Knight, trading popularity for retail game-ship.
Overall, the cons to her inclusion can be tackled easily, but her pros aren't big deals at all and Sakurai could just swoop over her easily.

Want: 10%
Nice moveset and could curbstomp another fan-rule, but I have no intents maining her.

ROBO FIX: 89.9%
Pale Tuna's Guide Dance: 12.34%

Takamaru x5 #SlashtheVote

StormC

Smash Hero
What I don't understand about Blue's big post is that he gave Bayonetta a pretty low chance score at the end of it anyway.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
What I don't understand about Blue's big post is that he gave Bayonetta a pretty low chance score at the end of it anyway.
25% isn't that low, especially for an over-sexualized third party without a long standing legacy. He basically gave her a 1 out of 4 chance of happening. It should be much lower than that to be honest.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
25% is not very high, but not something I would define as "pretty low". It's a decent score in my book, especially for a character not owned by Nintendo.

Edit: :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Bayonetta chance - 15%

I think she's somewhat underrated when it comes to chance BUT in saying that she's still got tough competition from other 3rd parties. Having both her games being released on Nintendo consoles and having her second game be an exclusive funded by Nintendo is a major feather in her cap though. I think it would be unwise not to consider the important connection Nintendo has with Bayonetta now. For this reason I think votes for Bayonetta in the ballot could carry more weight than numerous other 3rd parties.

Bayonetta want - 98%

I really would love to see her, she has so much personality and moveset potential. (plus the series has some great tunes!) I do trust Sakurai could make her work for Smash Bros. If anyone can do it, it's him.

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Bayonetta:

Chance: 70%
For those of you who think that she's too sexy:

It seems like the only thing that people are fixated on is the thought that "she'd be too sexy for Smash". From a design perspective, she wouldn't be anything new( especially when they can just edit her attire to be more suitable for this type of game) and because her fighting style hardly ever uses sexually suggestive themes in her games( aside from the whole stripping thing), toneing down her sexyness would hardly be considered an issue.

With that being said, she's a highly requested character, Platinum wants her in the game, they have really good connections with Nintendo, and SEGA is still collaborating with Nintendo so her chances look great, but I guess I'll probably be the only one giving her this high of a rating.

Want: 50%
If she makes it in, "yay!" If she doesn't, "whatever."

Nomination: Sora x5

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Bayonetta
Bayonetta is not only a third party, but one that didn't even become relevant to Nintendo until the second game. Also blah blah sexualization. I'm pretty sure that could be toned down sufficiently by leaving out the overly suggestive poses, and leaving her covered by whirling tendrils of hair when she summons things. Then again, I wanted Ridley, my opinion probably doesn't matter.

Want: 75%
Lots of potential for a crazy-looking moveset filled with stupid poses. I'm all for it.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Bayonetta
Chance: 30%

Maybe I'm rating her chances a bit high, but I feel like that's a reasonable number (especially compared to people who give her a 0% chance because they haven't actually played her games). The main drawback in my mind (which is a pretty big drawback, admittedly) is that she's quite minor compared to the third parties already on the roster. Sonic and Pac-Man are the characters that anyone thinks of when Sega and Namco-Bandai are mentioned, and even if Mega Man and Snake aren't quite on that level, they're still much more important to gaming history than Bayonetta is.

However, Nintendo has clearly embraced Bayonetta, surprisingly enough - for Women's History Month, Bayonetta was the only third party character who was used in Nintendo's advertising campaign, being included over the likes of Peach or a traditional depiction of Zelda (maybe that's due to their traditional roles being damsels in distress, but both have recent playable appearances in Mario 3D World and Hyrule Warriors to draw from). She also appeared in a Nintendo-owned game before, the Wonderful 101, (and not just a thinly-veiled version of her, like Viewtiful Joe and Sylvia being turned into Poseman and Wonder Cheerleader) which seems like it would help.

As BluePikmin mentioned, sexualization isn't as big of an issue as some people make it out to be. This is her moveset in Anarchy Reigns, a game made by Platinum (so clearly they have no problem with the idea of toning her down).

There doesn't seem to be much in there that couldn't be included in Smash Bros., and that's not even getting into the various weapons that she has access to. This also ties into how she uses guns - while she has them, she's primarily a melee fighter, so she doesn't have to fire them. (or, if she does, they could just shoot large red orbs, like they do during boss fights with Jeanne)

Basically, I feel that she has better chances than a lot of third party characters - previous appearances show that toning her down to the level of characters who already appear in Smash Bros. is definitely doable, and Nintendo seems to have no problem with placing her alongside some of their biggest icons.

Want: 100%

The only third party characters who I want more would be Snake and Rayman. While I wasn't sure how things would go when I started her series, (I got Bayonetta 1 for $10 at a local discount store) I've played and enjoyed all of the games that she's appeared in, and I feel like an inclusion in a game like this would do wonders for raising the profile of her series. As well as getting people talking about Smash Bros. - I feel like the choices for third party characters in this game have been pretty safe. Pac-Man, Mega Man, and Sonic all seem to overlap with Nintendo's audience quite a bit, and there's nothing like Snake that would get people who might not normally pay much attention to a game like Smash Bros. to look into it.

I feel like a lot of issues that people have with the character aren't as big of a deal as they're believed to be. In my opinion, they can be dealt with while still staying true to who she is, especially since they've already dealt with those issues in previous appearances like Anarchy Reigns and the Wonderful 101. With some third party characters, you really have to stretch in order to create a viable moveset, but with Bayonetta, the problem is how to narrow it down since she has so many abilities, weapons, and attacks that can be used.

Last edited:
There is a difference between sexualized and less clothing. Tharja proves that.

Chance 2%
If she wasnt 3rd party maybe she would have a chance. But 3rd parties so far have been all super icons of faming any fan can recognize. Bayonetta has only had 2 games. . . It doesnt help we are already getting a 3rd party character.

As for her popularity it has started to fade after the first bump. Definitely not like the other sega character we got from so much popularity.
Also guns being a part of her moveset is just another nail in her coffin.

Want 0%
3rd parties give me a different feeling and just being interesting isnt enough for me. And if we're getting a kamiya character it might as well be a 1st party one like wonder red instead of a 3rd party one.

Prediction
33%

Noms agnes oblige 5

Burruni

Smash Hero
Bayonetta:

It seems like the only thing that people are fixated on is the thought that "she'd be too sexy for Smash". From a design perspective, she wouldn't be anything new( especially when they can just edit her attire to be more suitable for this type of game) and because her fighting style hardly ever uses sexually suggestive themes in her games( aside from the whole stripping thing), toneing down her sexyness would hardly be considered an issue.

With that being said, she's a highly requested character, Platinum wants her in the game, they have really good connections with Nintendo, and SEGA is still collaborating with Nintendo so her chances look great, but I guess I'll probably be the only one giving her this high of a rating.

1) Her Sexiness is not just in her diminishing attire, it's in the words she says and the way THAT she moves. "Her fighting style hardly ever uses Sexually suggestive themes in her games" means that you never kept a good eye on Torture and Punish attacks... the former of which I think by name alone would press on that E-10+ rating. And not just her fighting style, but look at the CUTSCENES where sexualization in motion is an very frequent and active part of her existance. Sexualization, Hyperbolic violence, and her curse-laden wordplay are at her core. THAT is what people are meaning. While ZSS, Shulk in one outfit, and Captain Falcon have some attire that arguably pushes the E10 matter a bit, that's all done in still images. What they WEAR is disputable, how they MOVE AND FIGHT isn't.

2) She WAS a highly requested character. She has fallen considerably since then. What makes Bayonetta any more likely than the likes of Shovel Knight of specifically Shantae who have very Smash-centric designs in both character and moveset, barring the lack of a legacy that exist for our four current 3rd Parties.

3) 70% Nonetheless... is an extreme chance, in the eyes of myself and most of the community. Because of all the points that Sakurai and Nintendo would likely shove their foot down on the idea on the steps for her to be reviewed and analyse to become a fighter.

That's all I am going to say.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Bayonetta chances 1%
She is not a video game legend and she is too new for a 3rd party character to be added and she is just a random choise and she just have 2 games only and she isn't even important in Nintendo history

also SEGA would rather pick Alex Kidd for A 2nd rep for SEGA because he is the 2nd most important character in Sega history and he was Mario rival before sonic he is also a console mascot the Sega master system and he was SEGA mascot before sonic and he has more than 8 games and appeared in a lot of SEGA games he is important to be added more than any 2nd sonic character or other Sega franchise he even said in a game on dreamcast called segaga "I used to fight mar*o and n*ntendo in the past" also all of his games was released on the wii eshop

Want 0%
Nope she is not even special for me

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
1) Her Sexiness is not just in her diminishing attire, it's in the words she says and the way THAT she moves. "Her fighting style hardly ever uses Sexually suggestive themes in her games" means that you never kept a good eye on Torture and Punish attacks... the former of which I think by name alone would press on that E-10+ rating. And not just her fighting style, but look at the CUTSCENES where sexualization in motion is an very frequent and active part of her existance. Sexualization, Hyperbolic violence, and her curse-laden wordplay are at her core. THAT is what people are meaning. While ZSS, Shulk in one outfit, and Captain Falcon have some attire that arguably pushes the E10 matter a bit, that's all done in still images. What they WEAR is disputable, how they MOVE AND FIGHT isn't.

2) She WAS a highly requested character. She has fallen considerably since then. What makes Bayonetta any more likely than the likes of Shovel Knight of specifically Shantae who have very Smash-centric designs in both character and moveset, barring the lack of a legacy that exist for our four current 3rd Parties.

3) 70% Nonetheless... is an extreme chance, in the eyes of myself and most of the community. Because of all the points that Sakurai and Nintendo would likely shove their foot down on the idea on the steps for her to be reviewed and analyse to become a fighter.

That's all I am going to say.
1) Please note that I said "hardly", not "never". I'm very well aware of the torture attacks, just like I'm aware that they're only a fraction of what she can actually do, therefore they could skip out on them and there wouldn't be a problem.
Also, unless they're going to reference her cutscenes exclusively( which they're not) then that's not an issue, especially seeing how the majority of that stuff you mentioned doesn't even crossover to the gameplay in her own games.

2) I still see a lot of support for her so I stand by my statement. And to answer your question, both companies that own her are affiliated with Nintendo, so she has that edge over most 3rd party characters.

3) Opinion.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
It's been pretty tame here
Bayonetta

I like to bring up popular 3rd party characters that people relate to Smash
:snake::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman: Ryu, Rayman, Phoenix Wright, Banjo and even Shantae. Bayonetta barely reaches that point.
One new game & a port shouldn't mean she should be in Smash, if so Travis Touchdown should already be in. It's not about being a Nintendo character, she doesn't have that much of a legacy in gaming itself as a third party.

Plus she's very raunchy character to where you have to shoot up the E10 rating to a T.

Bayonetta:

Using this as an example is irrelevant considering that's tame compared to a woman who's moveset revolve around using guns and her hair as a weapon which is her clothes as well, she strips down to the point where you have to censor her HARD. Snake got his gun taken away for a tranquilizer to censor it.

There's a reason why she was cut from Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed.

Want: 70%
I loved the game and love her character (and other things:4dk:) but I don't want her near Smash because they have to censor her HARD for her to work and she's a character that you shouldn't censor, she's raunchy, teasing and she is a soccer mom's worst nightmare for game that's targeted to all ages. :4zss:&:4shulk: are wearing tame swimsuits. They aren't even sexualize at all and someone thinks they are then you need to reevaluate your life. That a 3 compared to a Bayonetta's 11.

She shouldn't be anywhere near Smash. Atleast :snake: can still fit and won't be censor hard and neutered.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
It's always a little awkward being the guy with the little post on a big day, but hey… our ratings count just as much as anyone else's.

Bayonetta

Chance- 9.5%
I've still seen some decent amount of support for her. Her recent game was Nintendo exclusive, and the relationship with Platinum is strong. The sexualization would be toned down, obviously.
There's a lot of potential issues that have already been mentioned, which is why I'm not giving her that high of a chance. But I feel like it's more than a 0%.
Want- 0%
Don't want most non-iconic third party characters. And I don't really like her all that much, to be honest.

Palutena's Guidance Conversations- 10%
Nominations:

Crono x5

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
You wouldn't be reading the moveset if I were to put it in spoilers, 90% of the time it gets ignored anyway in Character Discussion. I suggest you read it.
It looks cool and all that, but that point is not very important, Sakurai can make every character unique with time.
And all the popular DLC characters (K.Rool, Isaac, Dixie, Bandana Dee, Inkling, Krystal, etc) have moveset potential and they would add something new to the game.
Being unique doesn't make all the negative points about Bayonetta irrelevant.

Top Bottom