• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Isn't this pretty much the same thing three times in a row? Not trying to argue against your rating, this just confuses me
On the first two I referred to them as NES icons and then I meant to say that they have a long history being on Nintendo consoles, not just the NES. But I guess the last two are kinda the same so I edited out my last point. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
William Rizer
Chance: 7.5%
Next to Ninja Gaiden, Contra is one of the last NES classics not represented. Despite Rogue Corps being a pretty poor game from what I've heard, the series is at the very least alive, something that can't be said for some other big Konami IPs. Bill Contra is arguably our likeliest Konami option at the moment. It really depends on if Konami will get a fighter represented in the pass and that's very iffy imo. The Bomberman costume gives the impression that it probably isn't happening, and we still have a very limited amount of fighters left. Bill Rizer may not have that many things going against him but I still feel he will just get outprioritized at the end of the day.

Want: Abstaining

Bioshock protag: 8.45%
Plague Knight x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Rambo Commando
Rambo Commando

Chance: 20%

Konami gets slept on a lot I feel. They've been some of the most generous (or at least indifferently unprotective of their IP, given what we know about them) as far as Ultimate goes. With Alucard in a weird place where his series is very decently represented, and Bomberman double tapped by that Mii Costume, I'd say it's between Contra and Frogger for Konami candidates.

Now for Bill himself, he would 100% be Contra's rep, probably with Lance as his alt. And yeah, Contra has a lot going for itself and not much against. Iconic, influential, acclaimed, and still alive and... maybe not kicking, but whatever Rogue Corps was. It's very much associated with the Big N, and I recall they gave a lot of promotion to Rogue Corps (for whatever reason). Honestly, Contra makes a lot of sense for these last two reveals, whether it's "Legendary franchise Contra gets into Smash at E3!" a la Dragon Quest, or as the smaller third party to close out the lineup. With Hayabusa, Bomberman, Arthur, etc getting taken out of the running I'm hard-pressed to think of a better candidate for the niche that Mega Man and Simon filled. And that niche is a good place to be right now.

Want: 100%
It shouldn't be a surprise that I love Contra so I won't be long with this section. All I will say is that Bill would make for a cool fighter as a glass cannon that relies solely on projectiles, like the ultimate keepaway character. And of course, as is usual with NES characters, badass remixes.

Noms: Todd Mother****ing Snap x10
BioShock prediction: 3.8%

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Rizer
Chance: 15%

Wow, I barely even need to say anything. What a great turn out for this day. I’m really surprised to see so many people speaking highly about Bill's chances. I rarely see him brought up in discussion and considering how long it took for us to finally rate him, I figured that most people just didn't view him as a contender.

All that said, yeah, I genuinely believe that he has a decent shot. You can never undersell the importance of being an "NES icon." With first party characters like Ice Climbers, Pit, and Duck Hunt, as well as third party characters like Mega Man, Simon, and Erdrick, it's clear that Sakurai respects this era of gaming. And interestingly, we haven't gotten any NES era characters so far in this fighters pass, which I wholeheartedly expect to change with these last two characters. I just doubt that Sakurai would load so many new faces into one fighters pass, with Sephiroth as the only "retro" (if you can call him that) character. I think that FP2 is ripe for another retro character, with the NES being the best place to look.

The main reason Bill still feels like a bit of an underdog is because of the other NES and Konami characters he's competing with. In terms of NES icons, pretty much everybody likes to point to Ryu Hayabusa, and for good reason. Not only did the classic Ninja Gaiden games leave a tremendous legacy, but the series also had a fairly successful reboot that led to numerous releases as well as the Master Collection coming out just in time for E3. Rizer’s transition to modern gaming wasn’t quite as smooth as Hayabusa’s, but Contra still had some fairly consistent releases. And with the Anniversary collection just recently coming out alongside Contra: Rogue Corps, there very well might be a future for this series. Honestly, Contra is about on par with NG in terms of legacy and relevancy. The main thing that Hayabusa has above Rizer is that he is a much more recognizable character. Hayabusa is basically the face of Koei Tecmo and has crossed over with basically every Koei Tecmo series, while Bill Rizer is still kind of “the guy from Contra.” Konami doesn’t quite flaunt Rizer in the same way KT likes to flaunt Ryu.

Speaking of Konami, there are quite a few characters on their end that could easily be chosen over Bill...or at least there would be if they weren’t all assists/costumes. Honestly, this might be one of the biggest points in Contra’s favor. Bomberman, Alucard and even lesser known characters like Goemon have already appeared in non-playable roles, while Contra is still mysteriously absent. The Anniversary Collection came out just two years ago, yet still no spirit event? Or Mii costume? Or music or anything? Konami has seemed to work very well with Sakurai throughout Ultimate, so the idea that they might get another character seems very possible to me, and at this point, Contra seems like a pretty clear choice.

Want: 95%
I docked just 5% simply for the fact that Hayabusa is one of my most wanteds and Bill is kind of direct competition. That said, Contra is the ****! As an early zoomer, I grew up mostly playing Gamecube, N64, GBA, and Xbox. Contra wasn’t something that I even knew about until I was a teenager. And I didn’t bother actually giving the series a shot until the Anniversary Collection. And wouldn’t you know it, it was just as hype as I thought it’d be and it isn’t hard to see why people hold the series with such high esteem. Bill also feels like a great fit for Smash. There is no other character quite like him and I’d love to see how Sakurai would implement him.

Noms: Yuri Lowell x10

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Bill Rizer

Chance - 3%
While this may come across as a really low rating to some, the fact that there are so many plausible characters remaining and only two characters left in the pass means this is actually a fairly high score from me.

Given the sheer number of iconic NES platformers, it's truly astonishing how many are in Smash Bros. Really, just look at the list of platformers from that time period: Super Mario Bros 1, 2, & 3, Donkey Kong, Mega Man, Metroid, Kirby, Castlevania, Kid Icarus, Ice Climbers. All of those games are in Smash.

But there are some notable omissions. Taking a look at the NES Classic, the platforming games of note which lack a playable character in Smash are few and far between: Ninja Gaiden, Bubble Bobble, Ghosts 'n Goblins...and Contra.

Bubble Bobble isn't discussed much mostly because of its ownership (it's a Taito game, now owned by Square Enix) and because its fallen out of the public eye. Arthur from Ghosts 'n Goblins is a Mii costume, taking him out of the running. Naturally, Ryu Hayabusa has been a topic of major discussion as of late, with his series continuing to this day and with his status as Koei Tecmo's mascot.

But Contra has been strangely overlooked in the speculation scene. While the series hasn't been quite as successful in the modern day as Ninja Gaiden, it's unquestionably iconic, and its ownership lies with Konami, who already has characters in Smash, a potentially good sign for how legal negotiations might go. The characters are recognizable, would be easy to implement into Smash Bros., and would be unique, effectively acting as our first character from a shooter.

Simply put, the main obstacle that Bill faces is competition. Third party possibilities are at least in the dozens, and there are very few characters left to add to the game. If Sakurai were to decide that he wanted to add another iconic third party character from an NES platformer, Bill faces stiff competition from Ryu Hayabusa, whose series is still going strong and who fills a similar niche in that respect. If Sakurai wanted to add an iconic shooter character, he faces competition from Master Chief, Doom Guy, and more. Further, it's not Sakurai himself choosing characters this time around; it's Nintendo themselves. Nintendo has strikingly little incentive to request Bill.

That said, Bill has a very, very good chance if we end up getting another Smash game in the future. His credentials are very good, and he's right up Sakurai's alley. But he may have to wait until then.

Want - Abstain
I have very little personal attachment to Contra. I recognize that the games are iconic, and I don't think he would be an unworthy addition, but I don't particularly care about the series either.

Nominations - Echo: Ms. Pac-Man (all noms that I have)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
[Rerate] Concept: League of Legends rep x242
[Rerate] Carmen Sandiego x241
Estelle Bright x235
Tetra x230
Todd Snap x210
Senator Armstrong x200
Riptor x200
Rean Schwarzer x200

200 - 151

Corvo Attano x195
Meat Boy x190
Sackboy x185
Kaede Akamatsu x170
Stage: Bowser's Castle x16
Boss: Rayquaza x155

150 - 101

Junpei (Zero Escape) x150
[Rerate] Louie x150
[Rerate] Yuri Lowell x145
Conker x140
Mii Costume: Monika x135
[Rerate] Crash Bandicoot x130
Concept: Virtual idols like Hatsune Miku x130
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x128
Boss: Ender Dragon x123
Echo (Bowser) x123
D.Va x115
Mii Costume: 2B x110
Fulgore x107
[Rerate] Officer Howard x105

100 - 51

Stage: Tetris x100

Gunvolt x95
Concept: Danganronpa protagonist x95
Giygas x90
Legends Trainer x90

[Rerate] Tails x85
Garchomp x82
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
[Rerate] Concept: New Zelda character x80
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Concept: Rocket League rep x75

Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x75
Echo (Olimar) x66
Magolor x65
Ghirahim x60
[Rerate] Zhao Yun x60

Ratchet & Clank x60
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Jin Sakai
x55
Demi-Fiend x55

50 - 25

[Rerate] Agumon x45

Plague Knight x45
Mii Costume: Zagreus x40
Springtrap x40
[Rerate] Reimu x35
Filia (Skullgirls) x31
Concept: Large and Normal Final Destination made into separate stages x25

Under 25

Regigigas x20
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x20

Captain Charlie (Pikmin) x20
[Rerate] Earthworm Jim x16
Yarn Yoshi x15
[Rerate] Shovel Knight x15

Concept: Crazy Taxi character x15
Tetris x10
Slash Kamei (Snowboard Kids) x10
Jesse (Control) x10
Infernape x10
[Rerate] Gex x10
[Rerate] Concept: Echo Fighters Pass x10
[Rerate] Q*Bert x10
[Rerate] Ryu Hayabusa x10
Octoling x10

[Rerate] Gene x10
[Rerate] Brian x7
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
Concept: Raizing shmup rep x5
Donbe and Hikari x5
Soma Cruz x5
Concept: KOS-MOS with T-elos alt x5
[Rerate] Master Hand x5
Pyramid Head x5
[Rerate] Elma x5
Siris (Infinity Blade) x5
[Rerate] Phoenix Wright x5

Concept: Tsukihime rep x5
Echo: Ms. Pac-Man x5
[Rerate] Eggman x5
Firebrand x1

Todd Snap snaps past Riptor and Senator Armstrong, securing fifth place. Rean Schwarzer gets a massive boost in noms and manages to tie with Armstrong and Riptor for sixth place.

Today's new nominee is a rerate of Eggman, with 5 noms.

ahemtoday ahemtoday You had made it under the one hour rule yesterday, but then you edited your post after the fact! Sorry, but that nullifies it, I can't count posts that were edited after the day ended, that'd be a massive loophole.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Estelle Bright x235
Tetra x230
Todd Snap x210
Senator Armstrong x200
Riptor x200
Rean Schwarzer x200

200 - 151

Corvo Attano x195
Meat Boy x190
Sackboy x185
Kaede Akamatsu x170

150 - 101

[Rerate] Louie x150
Conker x140
Echo (Bowser) x123
D.Va x115
Fulgore x107

100 - 51

Gunvolt x95
Giygas x90
Legends Trainer x90

[Rerate] Tails x85
Garchomp x82

Echo (Olimar) x66
Magolor x65
Ghirahim x60
[Rerate] Zhao Yun x60

Ratchet & Clank x60
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Jin Sakai
x55
Demi-Fiend x55

50 - 25

[Rerate] Agumon x45

Plague Knight x45
Springtrap x40
[Rerate] Reimu x35
Filia (Skullgirls) x31

Under 25

Regigigas x20
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x20

Yarn Yoshi x15

Tetris x10
Jesse (Control) x10
Infernape x10
[Rerate] Gex x10
[Rerate] Q*Bert x10
Octoling x10

[Rerate] Gene x10
[Rerate] Brian x7
[Rerate] Thrall x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Donbe and Hikari x5
Soma Cruz x5
[Rerate] Master Hand x5
Pyramid Head x5
[Rerate] Elma x5

[Rerate] Eggman x5
Firebrand x1

Todd Snap snaps past Riptor and Senator Armstrong, securing fifth place. Rean Schwarzer gets a massive boost in noms and manages to tie with Armstrong and Riptor for sixth place.

ahemtoday ahemtoday You had made it under the one hour rule yesterday, but then you edited your post after the fact! Sorry, but that nullifies it, I can't count posts that were edited after the day ended, that'd be a massive loophole.
Oof, I didn't realize the day had ended. Is my post above also too late to count?

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Estelle Bright x235
Tetra x230
Todd Snap x210
Senator Armstrong x200
Riptor x200
Rean Schwarzer x200

200 - 151

Corvo Attano x195
Meat Boy x190
Sackboy x185
Kaede Akamatsu x170

150 - 101

[Rerate] Louie x150
Conker x140
Echo (Bowser) x123
D.Va x115
Fulgore x107

100 - 51

Gunvolt x95
Giygas x90
Legends Trainer x90

[Rerate] Tails x85
Garchomp x82

Echo (Olimar) x66
Magolor x65
Ghirahim x60
[Rerate] Zhao Yun x60

Ratchet & Clank x60
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Jin Sakai
x55
Demi-Fiend x55

50 - 25

[Rerate] Agumon x45

Plague Knight x45
Springtrap x40
[Rerate] Reimu x35
Filia (Skullgirls) x31

Under 25

Regigigas x20
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x20

Yarn Yoshi x15

Tetris x10
Jesse (Control) x10
Infernape x10
[Rerate] Gex x10
[Rerate] Q*Bert x10
Octoling x10

[Rerate] Gene x10
[Rerate] Brian x7
[Rerate] Thrall x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Donbe and Hikari x5
Soma Cruz x5
[Rerate] Master Hand x5
Pyramid Head x5
[Rerate] Elma x5

[Rerate] Eggman x5
Firebrand x1

Aw, dang! I edited in something specifically because I didn't know if I made it! Don't I feel a fool. Are the extra noms wasted, in that case?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oof, I didn't realize the day had ended. Is my post above also too late to count?
Nope, those nominations are for the day before this one. I was replying to a user that asked whether his post counted back when that day ended and this one started. You're good.

Aw, dang! I edited in something specifically because I didn't know if I made it! Don't I feel a fool. Are the extra noms wasted, in that case?
No, you still get to keep your extra noms. Sorry I didn't clarify it at the time!

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
This was referring to the previous topic (Edgeworth). You're good.
Nope, those nominations are for the day before this one. I was replying to a user that asked whether his post counted back when that day ended and this one started. You're good.
Oooohhhh, gotcha. Sorry for the confusion.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Bill Rizer

Chance: 4%

Konami's already playing ball with Smash, and the Contra series is currently active (for better or for worse, given what I've heard about Rogue Corps). Given the series' ties to Nintendo, I think it's definitely got a way in.

Want: 55%

Contra has a big legacy, and I'm always down for that kind of pick, but on a personal level, I'm just not that into the look of the guy. Never been one for "military man with gun", I have to say.

Nominations: Junpei xAll Of Them

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Bill Rizer
Abstaining. I swear I'll get back to writing soon, just burnt out atm.

Predictions
Bioshock: 2.9%

Nominations
Ratchet & Clank x5

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
As much as I want to talk about Contra, I'll have to abstain. I have no time these days.

Noms: Corvo x5
You can write up a draft before hitting 'post reply' and if you leave it like that for a minute, the site will save the post so you can write small chunks at a time. It's how I've often had lengthy writeups despite the day having changed too recent for my wall of text.

Speaking of writeups, we have From Software Rep after Bioshock, right?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You can write up a draft before hitting 'post reply' and if you leave it like that for a minute, the site will save the post so you can write small chunks at a time. It's how I've often had lengthy writeups despite the day having changed too recent for my wall of text.

Speaking of writeups, we have From Software Rep after Bioshock, right?
It's actually Mike Haggar after BioShock. From Soft is the final day of the week.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
BILL RIZER

CHANCE - 5%

I'll emphasize off the bat, I find myself being very critical of chances toward characters who I would have been much more open to sometime last year when FP2 was still fresh and new. I feel sort of bad that there are only a handful of characters that I see with a fighting chance right now, especially due to how volatile these expectations are and susceptible to getting totally twisted and disqualified with another surprise.

So with that said, I'm not confident in Bill. Contra is absolutely one of the most significant classic NES games not represented in Smash in any fashion, so that's a major point in his favor at least. Of course this could be said about the previously rated Billy & Jimmy as well as the potentially disconfirmed Hayabusa, so Bill faces a fair bit of competition but I wouldn't say there's anything that makes him any less viable than those characters at all. Konami has been willing to play ball through Ultimate's lifespan thus far so certainly Contra would be a pretty easy grab... not like they're doing a whole lot with it right now, anyway.

Unfortunately though, and yes this is lame but it's pretty much the only lead we've got for this sort of thing, Konami has already received a Bomberman costume in this DLC cycle. Not a be all end all, especially since we've proven several times over that there doesn't really need to be a rhyme or reason to when Mii costumes are released, but I'd say it's more of a hurt than it is a help at this stage. Square Enix is my point of reference - I was correct in speculating that Geno and Chocobo's absence would lead to a new character for the company. If Konami had more content on the way I personally believe we'd see any costumes put on hold until we get there. I feel similarly about Capcom and Namco, although the latter situation is a bit more loaded right now.

And I guess there just isn't a pressing motivation to add Contra content to Smash right now? For a character like Terry, his series is still going strong and the SNK library of eShop is aptly stocked. Admittedly Rogue Corps was a fairly recent release, but I thought I recalled that not being so positively received. I could be wrong though so I'm not factoring that too hard into my rating either way. In general I just feel like if they wanted to dig for a classic "retro" feeling franchise there are some others that feel more viable and profitable at the moment.

But hey, none of that means Bill can't happen. He still makes sense within Nintendo history and as a classic icon with a strong legacy that we're admittedly kinda lacking within FP2 at the moment. With both Hero and Terry in the previous pass the oldest character we've got this time is... Sephiroth, which is definitely not quite the same. I think Bill is a good candidate if they wanted to find a character like this for FP2. But I think his competition is strong and I just wonder how he would fare against those choices that have a little more going for them right now.

WANT - 80%
I love Contra, it's one of my absolute favorite NES games and I think it would be amazing to have it represented in Smash. Bill is a character who I've felt was a natural fit for Smash for years now, coming from a widely beloved and influential classic title and having fun moveset potential utilizing all the kinds of gun powerups you could pick up. Nowadays as far as side-scrolling run and guns go I kinda favor Metal Slug to get into Smash, but that isn't to disqualify the love I have for Contra and the genuine happiness I'd feel to see a significant part of my gaming experience represented alongside so many other games and characters that mean very much to me.

Bioshock - 3.11%

TAILS x10

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Would You Kindly rate Concept: A BioShock protagonist?

Predict Mike Haggar from Final Fight.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

-----

Some songs to get into the Bioshock mood:

-----

Abstaining on Bioshock protagonist since I still have yet to get into the series.

Mike Haggar chance prediction: 5.63%

Nominations:
Conker x10

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Abstain. The little I know of bioshock is not enough for me to do a rating. Would certainly be a curious inclusion

nom Todd snap x5

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Bioshock Protagonist

Chance 15 - Think there's a shot here. Bioshock has all it's games on the switch now, and it came out soon enough that I dont' think it would be an issue for Smash stuff since that stuff is set up way in advance most likely. The series is iconic, arguably one of the most iconic of the late 00s early 10s. Will spoiler my breakdown of the characters since a few people have said they haven't played yet and the series is way better without spoilers.

Bioshock - Jack

Pros:
  1. He's the protagonist of the first game. Simply enough, that feels like an advantage for him. While being first isn't necessarily that Sakurai or Nintendo looks at to my knowledge. However, going with the first one does just feel more natural and as a more solid intro to the series as opposed to starting in the middle or end.
  2. Of all the 3 characters I'm gonna talk about here, his moveset for sure feels like it would be the most basic. While this could be considered a con, for Jack I'd actually call it a pro since he's the lead of protagonist of the series, and in that spot it actually makes sense, sorta like an intro to Bioshock. Jack's moveset would consist of lots of shooting as his normal attacks and his specials would be made of plasmid attacks, perhaps some sort of wheel like how it works in the game. Final smash would likely be how he defeats Fontaine in the final boss battle with a swarm of little sisters attacking and draining the opponent.

Cons:
  1. By far the biggest knock on him overall is the fact that his appearance is that of just a normal dude. While he's obviously not that once you get into the lore, they usually don't do that for the reveals. It wouldn't be that far out of line to be a bit down on his inclusion or not recognize him because of that(and the fact the series is a 1st person shoot of course). But yeah, of the 3 he's the one that's the most forgettable looking.
  2. The music in the OST doesn't really stand out much. There's plenty of real music from the 30s-50s but unless I'm missing something 0 tracks from the over 1000 we have in Smash are licensed, non video game music. The rest of the music is standard tracks that fit the theme of the game. They're solid tracks, don't get me wrong, but not really anything iconic Sure, it's not impossible that maybe I missed a track that slipped to public domain and they could use that no issue but IDK if they actually would do that or not.

Bioshock 2 - Delta

Pros

1. Starting with the obvious one, he's a Big Daddy. With Big Daddies basically being the mascots of the game thats a huge checkmark in his favor.
  2. He would be an extremely unique character overall. He'd play as a heavy character that mostly relies on ranged attacks. Closest character to that at the moment would be King K Rool. He'd be able to do that but also have some powerful up close attacks with his drill. Overall, not many characters would play close to him.
  3. Non liscened music is a step up from 1. The big sisters theme is a good track and Eleanor's Lullaby feels like one of the more iconic tracks in the game although it would likely need a remake for Smash.

Cons
  1. Balancing issues. While the moveset is really nice and unique, It feels like a character like him might be really hard to balance. I suppose they could make his jumps, aerials, and grabs suck.
  2. While he is a Big Daddy, he's not of the more iconic designs. The main designs are the Alphas, Bouncers, and Rosie series of Big Daddies, while Delta is obviously a Delta. While I'm not sure that totally matters it's 100% a factor worth bringing up.

Bioshock Infinite - Booker DeWitt

Pros

1. Has the most recognizable appearance of the 3 with him being on the box art of Infinite, while the other 2 aren't really seen as much.
  2. The best moveset potential of the 3 by possesing both guns and vigors(the same as plasmids) along with Elizabeth's ability to open tears and throw you items. He'd be very unique character to say the least and feels like the most exciting one to play as. Elizabeth's tears and assists would be a pretty unique mechanic to add to the game one that I feel like Sakurai would really enjoy programming.
  3. Could also be considered a tag team character with Elizabeth, which is something we don't have many of in the game.
  4. The soundtrack relies less on licensed music than the other 2 does. It also has more tracks that stand out better than the other 2 games do.

Cons
  1. By far the biggest con is that Infinite is a bit of a venture away from the other 2 games. A lot of the terminology is different as well as the setting. While vigors are the same thing as plasmids, they're also not considering the abilities are still a bit different. Rapture feels a lot more iconic than Columbia does as well, and if this character is meant to rep the entire series then it makes more sense to pick a character who appears in the most iconic place in the game. Yes, I know there's a side story where Booker and Elizabeth go to Rapture but that's not a main part of the main game.

Want 100 - Bioshock is fantastic. No matter which of the 3 you pick you get a character who deserves a place in the game, as well as one with great moveset. Feels like the main thing keeping Bioshock out is the fact that it's a western developed series, which is a shame but it is what it is.

Predictions:
Mike Hagger - 3.46

Noms:
Riptor x10

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Abstain, my Bioshock knowledge is far to tin for me to rate it.

Nominations

Virtual idols like Miku x5

Prediction

Mike Hagger: 1.4%

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Bioshock Protagonist

Chance: 20% -
2K is honestly a huge underdog and dark horse when it comes to speculation and I'm surprised it isn't discussed more often. 2K has a good relationship with Nintendo, from having a couple of its' Switch launch titles advertised in the Switch's launch trailer to the 2K <3 Nintendo campaign about a year back. One of the biggest and most hyped releases of this campaign, of course, was the Bioshock Trilogy release, so Bioshock has the big advantage over the rest of its' inter-company competition. Now, as to which protagonist they would choose, it's a tough decision. It may make sense to start in order with Jack, but at the same time Booker DeWitt (or even a Booker/Elizabeth tag team) is by far the most recognizable of Bioshock's protagonists and even appears on the box art. I guess it depends on who Sakurai thinks has the most moveset potential, and while Booker clearly has the advantage there, all of the protagonists are more or less still very viable. Jomosensual in a post above mine did a great job breaking each of them down into detail, and it's a fantastic reference! As for me, I'm slightly leaning towards Booker, but I think they all have a good shot, and I think 2K is another face to look out for at E3!

Want: 45% - While Civilization is my preferred 2K series, along with Bioshock taking the final Western slot from a series like The Elder Scrolls or Crash Bandicoot, overall I think Bioshock would still be a very worthy and fun addition to Smash that would bring a lot to the table. The character, no matter who they choose, would play uniquely, and the Rapture would be an extremely cool setting for a stage! Furthermore, with Vault Boy now a Mii costume, Bioshock would be, in a way, a way of adding a "Fallout" rep that conflicts much less with my want for an Elder Scrolls character, since Bioshock and Fallout share some themes and aesthetics. So while there's be a few disappointments in regards to competition, as a whole I think a Bioshock rep would be a very fun addition to the series!

Nominations:
[Rerate] Louie x5
Captain Charlie x5

Predictions:
Mike Haggar - 2.28% - Final Fight seems like a very random choice for DLC, so I don't expect a lot of high ratings.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Bioshock
Chance - 1%
I'm honestly surprised people are rating Bioshock so highly here. This franchise has been out of the spotlight for a while now, and while it was semi-successful in Japan, calling it well known or recognizable over there is quite a stretch. At the end of the day, it's also a first person shooter, and while Bioshock was a landmark title in pushing narrative gameplay for the genre, I'd still say Sakurai would favor the legacy of Halo or Doom over something like Bioshock. The chance isn't zero, but I'm really not feeling this one...

Want - 10%
So, I am a huge fan of this series. The first Bioshock was an absolute masterpiece, and while I thought Infinite had lots of flaws, it's still a game I overall enjoyed a ton. The big reason why the score here is so low is pretty much the fact that of the many charms and strengths the series has, interesting protagonists isn't really one of them. So while I would love a stage, or a Big Daddy boss fight or something, seeing Jack or Booker as playable characters doesn't do anything for me.

Noms:
Miku x Max

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Bioshock Protagonist

Chance: 5%. Given Bioshock’s popularity, a rep would make some sense, but I don’t see one getting in the second fighter’s pass. And even then, given that there are 3 protagonists that I know of (recently I might add), never mind that certain protagonists came from later games then the earliest franchises (Cloud and Joker for instance), so it would be difficult to choose who get stars to represent that franchise.

Want: 50%. A Bioshock Rep would be fun to play as, even if it’s a different protagonist. Overall, a Bioshock Rep would make a decent Smash Bros rep, but then again, I don’t know too much about that franchise.

Prediction: Mike Haggar (5%)

Noms: 5 for Boss: Rayquaza

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
To all those who haven't played Bioshock: "Would you kindly try them out?"

Chance: 18%

Bioshock is a very notable Western series and honestly I think it's a darkhorse pick. The first game and Infinite in particular are iconic and beloved games. As for how Bioshock did in Japan, well all I can find is that the collection did decently well in Japan. 2K has been good to Nintendo and that wave of games with Bioshock, Borderlands and X-Com coming to the Switch was in early 2020, which puts the company in a good spot as I imagine the ports were negotiated around the same time that the pass was decided.

Now as for who the rep would be, any of the protagonists would be good choices. Jack because he is the first protagonist and him and Delta have the benefit of being associated with Rapture, which is more likely to be the stage than Columbia in my eyes. Delta could be chosen as the Big Daddies are the face of the series and while Delta is a different type, it still counts. And finally Booker is probably the most iconic protagonist so overall you can't go wrong with any of them and they all would add something new moveset-wise.

Now would Bioshock be chosen? Well I do think it sits in a comfortable spot. It's not something that is highly requested or revolutionary, but those are not requirements by any means and while not many people are expecting it, if Bioshock does happen it would be one of those inclusions that people would be shocked at but then immediately understand why it happened. Overall I think Bioshock does have the merits to make it in, heck I would even go as far as say that it's one of the few western picks that could plausibly be chosen over characters like Crash and Dragonborn.

Want: 75%

Bioshock is a fantastic game. It's been a good 4 years at least since I've played it and yet I still remember its level design and tone so well. It's a beautifully haunting game that I would like to see get into Smash just for the Rapture stage itself. It's such a unique and imaginative world. I also got a taste of Bioshock 2 and Infinite as well and those are stellar games too so I would be happy with any of the protagonists although I still would much prefer playing as a Big Daddy as they are very memorable design-wise. But either way we would be getting a moveset with plasmids involved and I'm down for it.

Prediction: Mike goddam Haggar - 9%

Noms: Yuri Lowell x10

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
There's always a man, there's always a lighthouse, there's always a city

Chance: 5%
With the entire BioShock franchise on the Switch, it's not in a bad position. BioShock is, after all, one of the most emblematic, acclaimed and influential FPS franchises there are. However with how few Western franchises and developers are included in Smash so far I can't give any a high rating as so far they feel less like game changers and more like exceptions. BioShock also competes with Borderlands, which might be less prestigious but is certainly more relevant. Oh, and the owner of 2K games also owns Rockstar and that's a mighty opponent to face, if you're in talks with Take-Two, 7 times out of 10 you'll try for the big guns at Rockstar.

Want: 90%
It's insane to think that BioShock existed entirely within a single console generation. Can you imagine that today? Releasing a game as groundbreaking as BioShock and following it up with two sequels, one of them equally if not more groundbreaking than the original, all in the timespan in takes to release the next PlayStation? That just doesn't happen these days.

Anyway, as someone who appreciates narrative in games, and likes FPSes when they're done well (or were done well, you could say), I have played and loved the BioShock games. 2 I didn't love so much as I played, but 1 and Infinite, masterpieces. And despite its heady themes and graphic violence, the creative settings and fantastical powers would make it a great fit for Smash. And it's a trilogy where it could be any of the protagonists: Jack for being the OG, Delta for being a Big Daddy, or Booker & Elizabeth for being the most iconic and developed. You can't go wrong with any of them, and each brings their own gameplay possibilities (which is not something most would expect from FPS reps I imagine). My personal preference would be the opposite of PlayStation All-Stars, have Booker & Elizabeth with a Rapture stage. Elizabeth using tears to summon weaponry would make for a fighting game moveset unlike anything I've seen before. But I'd take anyone, even if Delta would be weird over the other two I wouldn't mind him.

Noms: Todd Mother****ing Snap x10
Haggar prediction: 3.52%

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Bioshock protagonist
Abstaining again.

Predictions
Mike Haggar: 1.6%

Nominations
Ratchet & Clank x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
[Rerate] Carmen Sandiego x246
Estelle Bright x235
Tetra x230
Todd Snap x225
Riptor x210
Rean Schwarzer x210

200 - 151

Senator Armstrong x200
Corvo Attano x200
Meat Boy x190
Sackboy x185
[Rerate] Yuri Lowell x180
Junpei (Zero Escape) x175
Kaede Akamatsu x170
Stage: Bowser's Castle x167
Boss: Rayquaza x160
[Rerate] Louie x155

150 - 101

Conker x150
Concept: Virtual idols like Hatsune Miku x145
[Rerate] Crash Bandicoot x135
Boss: Ender Dragon x128
Echo (Bowser) x123
D.Va x115
Fulgore x107

100 - 51

Concept: Danganronpa protagonist x100
Gunvolt x95
[Rerate] Tails x95
Giygas x90
Legends Trainer x90
Garchomp x82
Echo (Olimar) x66
Magolor x65
Ratchet & Clank x65
Ghirahim x60
[Rerate] Zhao Yun x60
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Jin Sakai x55
Demi-Fiend x55

50 - 25

[Rerate] Agumon x50
Plague Knight x50
Springtrap x45
[Rerate] Reimu x35
Filia (Skullgirls) x31
Captain Charlie (Pikmin) x25

Under 25

Regigigas x20
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x20
Yarn Yoshi x15
Echo: Ms. Pac-Man x15
Tetris x10
Jesse (Control) x10
Infernape x10
[Rerate] Gex x10
[Rerate] Q*Bert x10
Octoling x10
[Rerate] Gene x10
[Rerate] Brian x7
[Rerate] Thrall x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Donbe and Hikari x5
Soma Cruz x5
[Rerate] Master Hand x5
Pyramid Head x5
[Rerate] Elma x5
[Rerate] Eggman x5
Firebrand x1

Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego? Why, she's in first place! On the other end, Senator Armstrong couldn't keep up with his competition and fell off the top seven.

Junpei, Louie and Yuri Lowell make it past 150 noms.

Captain Charlie escapes the under 25 club.

Top Bottom