• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Rex Raptor and Fanservice

Chance: 90%

This is something I feel that's most likely to happen given X2's success (well even before that because Sakurai would have known about X2 ahead of time). Their entry in to Smash is almost a forgone conclusion although I wouldn't exactly call them a "shoe in" the way I did Inklings.

Want: 50%

Another case where i'm indifferent to the character(s). Xenoblade is worthy of having another character.

Predictions

Chance

Squirtle: 15%
Ivysaur: 28%

Want
Squirtle:
43%
Ivysaur: 58%

Nominations

Andy X3
Agumon X 2

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Rex and Pyra

Chance: 85%

Obviously, ain't no guarantees in this crazy world we call Smash Bros., but I think that since XBC2 was in development for a while, Sakurai knew about it in time for roster decisions. Plus, he's on record praising the game for numerous reasons. I think these two got a good chance.

Want: 100%
Just look at my signature. :p However, if these two get in, for the love of god, redesign Pyra. She looks like the 23rd-century version of a ****.

XeVioN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XeVioN !
Krystal

CHANCE 17%
Not having an appearence in a long time and Starfox itself becoming less popular really does hurt her chances a lot .However As far as I know Krystal did fairly decent on the Smash ballot event (especially in Japan early picks) which Im almost sure it will play an important role in what character will get in.

WANT 100%
There are plenty of neat new additions that can be introduced in the series yet I only really want this character as I've already gotten to enjoy seeing pretty much all the characters I've ever wanted on Smash.

andimidna

Smash Master
Rex & Pyra:
From my understanding, this is how the characters play in the game. That Pyra gives Rex’s weapons power or something. I think I should take this literally, having the concept be competing with a solo Rex and a solo Pyra/Mythra, which probably doesn’t make much of a difference. Especially since the Switch really should be able to handle 16 characters plus items I think. They seem to be highly requested and potentially promotional. The only way I really see them not being in is if there was a strict focus on ballot characters, which doesn’t sound likely at all.
Chance: 65%
Want: 65%
Rex’s design is kinda cute, but Pyra looks like she was built to be a basement dweller’s wet-dream waifu. I haven’t played the game, so idk about her character development at all. She seems decently liked and I’d be open to changing my opinion of her. I see nothing wrong with Rex. Also, the mechanic sounds interesting.

7% for both Ivysaur and Squirtle predictions

x4 Midna
x1 Azura

D

Deleted member

Rex & Pyra

Chance: 70%

They're a safe bet as long as Sakurai was told of them early on enough, which seems pretty likely given what we know of the two games's respective development timelines.

A week ago this would've been an indifferent score, but I'm literally playing Xenoblade 2 right now and have been loving it so far lol. Rex is a lot better than I remember from the trailers too.

Nominations: Labo newcomer x3, Excitebiker x2

Prediction: Squirtle 12.4%, Ivysaur 6.4%

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Rex and Pyra

Chance: 85%

Between Xenoblade 2's long development cycle and Sakurai's adoration for the game, a Rex/Pyra tag team/duo/whatever is one of the most, if not the most likely newcomer for Smash Bros Switch. There's plenty that could be done to make them stand out from the rest of the roster, and their inclusion would help bring further interest to the Xenoblade series. If not in the base game, then almost definitely as DLC fighters.

Want: 0%

Xenoblade 2 was a massive disappointment for me. Everything I loved about the original game was gone, and in it's place were Rex and Pyra. I don't like their personalities, I can't stand Rex's voice, and I despise both of their designs. I am dreading the inevitability of their inclusion, of the constant reminder of what happened to my most anticipated sequel.

Prediction for Squirtle: 12%
Prediction for Ivysaur: 9%

Nominating Bomberman x5

Troykv

Smash Master
Krystal

CHANCE 17%
Not having an appearence in a long time and Starfox itself becoming less popular really does hurt her chances a lot .However As far as I know Krystal did fairly decent on the Smash ballot event (especially in Japan early picks) which Im almost sure it will play an important role in what character will get in.

WANT 100%
There are plenty of neat new additions that can be introduced in the series yet I only really want this character as I've already gotten to enjoy seeing pretty much all the characters I've ever wanted on Smash.
Oh XeVioN... Krystal's day had already finished.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Rex and Pyra or Rex alone or Pyra alone or whatever

Chance: 95%

From a successful, recent, and relevant game? Check.
From a game that Sakurai himself was a big fan of? Check.
Franchise that Nintendo is pushing to be something big? Check.

These two are super likely. The only way I could see them not getting in is if Sakurai considers Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to be too recent, but then they'd probably just get in as DLC.

Want: 65%

Huge fan of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but not so much Rex and Pyra. I don't even have an issue with their designs like a significant amount of people here do, I just find them both to be incredibly dull. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has such an incredible cast: Nia and Dromarch, Morag and Brighid, Zekeinator and Pandoria, hell, even some later game characters I won't name drop for the sake of people here would be more interesting.

I know they aren't as likely, but I'd sure as hell prefer them over Rex and Pyra. They're just both so boring.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Approximately four years ago, some Smashboards newbie with a Marth avatar rated Shulk, the protagonist of a critically-acclaimed RPG titled Xenoblade Chronicles. They seemed confident in him joining, and he was one of their most wanted characters. When Shulk was eventually confirmed, they were nothing short of ecstatic.

Today, the same person, who you may recall once went by the moniker KingBro1, rates the main protagonists of that game's true successor, Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Now with a different name and more experience under their belt.

Rex & Pyra

Chance: 45%

I'm going to jump straight into the main issue: timing.

Smash for Switch's development started sometime in 2016, and the roster was likely decided not long after. Xenoblade 2 started development in 2014, and was announced at the Switch presentation in early 2017. Is there any chance Sakurai already knew enough about the game and its main duo when the roster was finallized? Perhaps, but it's hard to tell. I'm not some member of the dev team, nor does my dad work at Nintendo am I close to anyone who is, so I wouldn't have inside info.

The young man who was once was an avid and optimistic supporter of Shulk can't rate Rex and Pyra any higher than slightly below a coin flip, so 45% it is.

After playing Xenoblade 2, seeing Rex's potential reminded me of why I wanted Shulk so much in the first place. I still think the latter was more compelling as a character, but I can't deny the former is capable of. Pyra, as controversially fanservicey as her design was (and it would most certainly be censored a bit for Smash's lower age rating), was also a character I really liked.

Prediction: Squirtle - 12.3%; Ivysaur - 12.4%

Nomination: Simon Belmont x5

Last edited by a moderator:
First RTC
Chance: 32.86
want:49.54

Post relase RTC 1
CHANCE: 25.01%
WANT: 38.29%

Post-release RTC 2
Chance - 29.17%
Want- 52.54%

Character group: RTC
Chance - 13.23%
Want - 49.24%

Current
9.99% Chance
36.54% Want

A downward trend, but I honestly had assumed it was worse. (First RTC washad 2 more results but im too lazy for that)

(still not doing anything until we get actual info on the game, but I guess if im going to post, I might as well.)
RE: Rex and Pyra
I think SOMEONE from XC2 is a likely proposition. Maybe for release, maybe for DLC. Maybe I could see a problem with the fact that he would be "similar to shulk" (not like it's stopped swords before) based on weapon similarities and not having a lot of stand out abilities without blade switching (which wont be in the game other than maybe one other blade). If it's Rex AND Pyra together, that gives a better shot, but im not sure if that would be possible.

Haven't finished hte game so no strong opinions on want score. But I don't like the designs or their personality. So probably not that great, even though im loving XC2.
:061:

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
New here! Just eager to discuss and speculate the next Smash and figured I'd start here! :)

Rex and Pyra

Chance: 80%

Xenoblade 2 so far has been a MASSIVE success, so there's no doubt in my mind we're going to see representation via a playable character. Rex/Pyra are easily the most popular choices and I honestly feel like they're shoe-ins. They're among the most likely candidates to make an appearance compared to the plethora of other characters everyone is speculating about. Not to mention even if it's JUST Rex, there's a lot that can be done to differentiate him from Shulk.

While I have played some of Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade X, I do not yet own a Switch and therefore I have yet to play Xenoblade 2. I can't say for sure whether I like or do not like any of the characters present in the game, so I'll have to give them a 50%.

I think I'm gonna nominate some characters here: Lycanroc, Tapu Koko, Marshal(Rhythm Heaven), Chibi-Robo, and Alph(Pikmin) [If I can't nominate, just ignore this then!]

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Chance: 80%
With Xenoblade becoming a franchise that Nintendo wants to push I'd be shocked if Xenoblade 2 didn't get a character and Rex and Pyra are definitely the front-runners.

Want: 40%
I love JRPGs, they are my favorite genre of games and I really loved Xenoblade 2; however, every person only talks about fanservice when it comes to Pyra. Like if anime boobs bother you that much don't look at them, and if anime boobs are the only part you care about man Google will show you as much as you want, so you don't need to post about it every 5 minutes. And that really sucks because I liked Pyra and I thought Rex was the most realistic take on the classic white knight but I just don't want to deal with the inevitable garbage storm that will occur once they're announced. Besides, I'd prefer Zeke so I can hear him yell "OVERLOAD THUNDERBEAM" by spamming it 24/7.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Rex and Pyra

Chance- 85%
Sakurais a fan of the series. XB2 is the best selling title in the XB series. It's relevant.

Want- 10%
I hated Rex, from his design to his personality. Pyra's more tolerable character wise but design wise is just as ratchet.
Go into their natural abilities and they're not much more than stand ins for Shulk. With similar stats and weapons, even Rex's driver arts are similar to Shulk's.
But, there is potential in The whole "Blade and Driver" system. But it's by no means unique to them alone, as many other characters both heroes and villains can use them. I just hope they give that system to someone more deserving. Like Tora/Poppi or Morag/Brigid or literally anyone else. I will literally take that one guy who just goes "Think you can take MEE" over Rex.

Nominations- Elma x5

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The Dynamic Daisy Dukes Duo

Chance: 50%
They're either in or they aren't. Nothing really points either way.

I'm really meh on their inclusion. Could live with or without em, Shulk is all I need.

Now if you threw in Mythra, I'd bump that up to a 65% on the want scale.

Throw in Blade Nya and want levels reach a critical level of 80%.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Chance: 30%
I think people are grossly misunderstanding how Sakurai incorporates characters. No, Roy and Corrin existing does not mean Sakurai goes out of his way to find characters from unreleased games to put in Smash. Smash takes it's inspiration from previous gens and newer games are better off as DLC where they can give the game more longetivity and maybe promote their own game's DLC. Compared to Elma, another Xenoblade potential newcomer, Rex is very similar to Shulk (fashion disaster with a lightsaber; I love Shulk but that turtleneck/vest/kneeshorts combo is attrocious) and I'd prefer different flavors of representation over another Monado boy.
Mind, they're a shoe in for DLC. But I'd rather they get in later than sooner for the sake of older games/characters. If a character like Little Mac or Bowser Jr didn't get in at launch do you think they would have a chance as DLC? They can wait and still be included. Other characters literally can't.

Want: 10%
I've beaten Xenoblade 1, X, 2, Xenogears and Xenosaga Episode 1 (didn't like it enough to pick up Episode 2 or 3).
Rex and Pyra are the least enjoyable parts of XB2. For a love story, their relationship is very uncompelling (and surprisingly so, considering how good Xenogears's love story and relationship building were). Pyra in particular has a trash design and voice acting that puts me to sleep. I'm already sick of 'em, but they would have a unique gimmick in Blade/Driver Arts and Art Cancelling like a revamped Ice Climbers. (The Pokemon Trainer idea people throw around is hilariously removed from how XB2 actually plays; both Blade and Driver attack during combat).
Personally, I'm sick of this "Smash is pure promotion, newest games only" idea everyone seems to have. It's sad that people think Smash exists solely to prop up new releases, when it's strength has been bringing attention to older or obscure games while celebrating huge franchises. Going from "Who's Shulk? Why's he in Smash 4?" to "Of course Rex is going to be in Smash 5" is depressingly ironic. Give me the Smash that introduced me to Mother/Fire Emblem/MGS/Xenoblade over Cynical Marketing Smash any day.

Nominations: Elma x 5.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Rex & Pyra

Chance: 25%
Sakurai saying he loved the game doesn't guarantee anything, add the timing and they basically are out of the base game if they make it.

Add Mythra and the percentage raises to 75%; however Rex is pretty bland and can be too similar to Shulk in some aspects; Zeke or Mòrag have much more enjoyable movesets.
The Driver/Blade system is interesting but making it work in Smash can be troublesome; specially if stuff like the affinity link came into play.

I admit I want to see Rex getting Chrom'd in favor of standalone Pythra.

Nominate Simon Belmont x5

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ok...who?

Oh, wait...the character behind Link's bizarre af update costume? Ah, ok.

Oh, from Xenoblade? Yeah, never played it, but Shulk was in the last one...

Here's the deal - I am so far out of the loop as far as Xenoblade is concerned, and I'm decently up on most series. This one really just slipped in. I hadn't even heard of it before Shulk was announced in Smash, and there you go.

Seems like the game came out a bit too recently, so it's definitely on the list, and I hear Sakurai likes the series. But the Xenoblades are a bit too anime and a bit too unknown for me personally.

Chance: 40%

Prediction for Squirtle: 13%
Prediction for Ivysaur: 10%
Tomorrow's gonna be sad...:squirtle:

Nominations: Any representation from Skyrim x5

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Rex & Pyra

It can go either way, really. Timing is important. For all we know, we could get Elma instead since Xenoblade X was at least recent after Smash 4's release. Unless Monolith Soft by some miracle approached Sakurai about a new character.

Anyways, the Balde & Driver gimmick is something fresh and would make them both unique. And no, that doesn't make them a Rosalina & Luma clone.

Bring on the Xenoblade reps. Rex & Pyra may be far from my favorite character, but I'd say they easily earned their Smash spots.

Predictions for Squirtle & Ivysaur: 14%

Nominations: Sans x5

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Rex & Pyra
Chance: 75%
I only not give 100% since Xenoblade 2 might be too recent? A new Xenoblade character overall is 100% in my book though. I mean sure Greninja happened in SSB4, but it all depends if Monolith Soft thinks a Xenoblade 2 character is essential to promote the series. If not, they might just settle with someone from Xenoblade X.

I love Xenoblade 2, and Rey and Pyra ARE cool, I guess. But I feel that Rex is the least lovable of all the playable cast in the game (even if he and Pyra/Mythra are lovable too). Also, Shulk already fits theJRPG protagonist with a red flashy sword really well in Smash. So basically, I'd have any other party member over him (especially Tora & Poppi), but I understand Rex is the most likely (then again, I thought the same about Chrom in SSB4)

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Rex and Pyra

I think another Xenoblade rep is a given, and 2 is old enough to make it in IMO but it could be going to XCX.

Want:
0%

Their designs are terrible, just absolutely terrible, they look just plain, stupidly bad, and characterisation is also entirely mediocre. I'd much prefer another character from the game, or better yet an XCX rep instead.

Ivysaur Prediction: 36.18%

Squirtle Prediction:
41.95%

Nominations:

Andy x 3
Travis Touchdown x 2

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Rex & Pyra

I'll also go with the coin flip theory. We don't have enough proof that Sakurai would had approached Monolith about Rex & Pyra over say someone like Elma. It could go either way and the game just came out last year (then again ARMS and Breath of the Wild did too).

Either way, the two at least can be unique and FAR from a Shulk clone. Trust me, I played the game long enough to know that and envision their style.

What can I say, I adore Xenoblade 2 and it's one of my favorite Switch titles of all time (Here comes to Odyssey and BOTW fanboys lol). The world was rich, the gameplay was miles better than previous Xenoblade entries, and the character lore was enticing. Sure people have mixed views on Rex and Pyra as characters, but i personally adore them (as well as ship them. lol). I'd say they are welcome Smash editions in my book and at least one newcomer that would excite me more than arguably Spring Man.

Predictions for Squirtle & Ivysaur: 10%

Nominations: Tsubasa Oribe x5

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Rex & Pyra
Chance: 75%
I don't know much about these characters, but they seem likely enough, Sakurai loves his anime swordsmen. Their main problem is they might be too recent, but that shouldn't matter too much since we got Greninja in Smash 4 and Roy in Melee.
Want: N/A
I don't know much about these characters.

Squirtle/Ivysaur prediction: 10%
Noms: Phoenix Wright x5

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Yessir! And here I am, like magic...two hours later, lol.

Seriously, sorry guys for the lateness! I was knee-deep in a playthrough of...
Guest Star mode in Star Allies, with the most adorable character ever--Vividria. Man, Morpho Knight really surprised me!
I'm also gonna need to do this quick, as I've got an early day tomorrow. So without further ado...

Noms bombs, day 12 update

Nominations List

Dillon x 105
Andy x 101
Shulk x 100
Concept : Zelda Newcomer x 97
Professor Layton x 96
Bomberman x 91
Decidueye x 89
Waluigi x 86
Celica x 85
Eggman x 81
Chibi Robo x 80
Lucina x 80
Shovel Knight x 77
Midna x76
Skull Kid x75
Marx x 75
Anna (Fire Emblem) x 73
Sora x 67
Banjo Kazooie x 66
Concept: No Cuts x 66
Lucas x 65
Phoenix Wright x 59
Micaiah x 58
Lana (Hyrule Warriors) x50
Concept: veteran character artworks recycled from Smash 3DS/Wii U x48
Mewtwo x 47
Doomguy x 46
Jibanyan x46
Snip & Clip (Snipperclips) x40
Travis Touchdown x 40
New story mode x40
Excitebiker x39
Geno x 38
Pyra/Mythra (without Rex) x36
Kamek x36
Labo Related Character x 33
Urban Champion x30
Roy x28
Susie (Kirby) x25
Ken Masters Alt Costume for Ryu x25
Agumon x25
Ryu Hayabusa x25
Qbby (from Boxboy) x24
Simon Belmont x24
Funky Kong x23
Elma x22
Hector (Fire Emblem) x 22
Concept Indie Character x 22
Scizor x 21
Lloyd Irving x20
Arcade Rabbit x 20
Concept: Code Name STEAM rep x19
Masked Link x19
Style Savvy Rep x 17
Ashley (WarioWare) x17
Sans (Undertale) x17
Palutena x 16
Hades x15
Returning game mode: Smash Run x15
Sophitia x15
Doom Slayer x15
Concept: Historical Nintendo character (Similar to Game and Watch or R.O.B.) x15
Arle Nadja x15
Tethu (Ever Oasis) x15
Neku x 15
Tsubasa Oribe x20
Concept: Advance Wars CO x16
Takumi (FE Fates) x13
Ganon (not Ganondorf) x15
Mallo (Pushmo) x 12
Azura x 14
Black Shadow x12
9-Volt (WarioWare) x12
Concept: New Mother Character x 10
Dark Matter (Kirby) X 10
Concept: Fire Emblem Spear User x10
Concept: Decloned Ganondorf x10
Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101) x10
Tiki (Fire Emblem) x10
Klonoa x10
Mipha x10
Concept: Decloned Dark Pit x9
Concept: F-Zero Newcomer x9
Robin x 9
2B x 8
Pac-Man x8
Impa x 8
Doshin the Giant x7
Sonic x 7
Lycanroc x7
Incineroar x7
Mimikyu x 7
Balloon Fighter x6
Concept: Custom Moves Return x6
Medusa x 6
Cloud x6
Greninja x6
Master Chief x 5
Steve (Minecraft) x5
Prince Fluff x5
Ninten x 5
Viridi x5
Concept: Canon Bowser/DK/Diddy voice clips x5
Slippy Toad x5
Concept - Melee/Brawl style Classic mode x5
Ray (Custom Robo) x 5
Concept - Skyrim representation x5
Ayane x5
Alm (Fire Emblem) x 5
Masked Man (Mother 3) x5
Gooey (Kirby Series) x5
Ayumi Tachibana x5
Itsuki Aoi x5
Concept: Shin Megami Tensei Protagonist x5
Monita (NintendoLand) x5
Cross/Rook/Avatar (Xenoblade Chronicles X) x5
Toon Link x5
Shadow the Hedgehog x4
Mii Fighters x 4
Poochy (Yoshi series) x3
Corrin x 3
Dark Samus x 3
Porky Minch x3
Cranky Kong x3
Veronica (Fire Emblem) x3
Wii Fit Trainer x3
Specter Knight x3
Solaire (Dark Souls) x3
Fawful x3
Lip (Panel de Pon) x2
King Boo x2
Tom Nook x2
Vaati x2
KOS-MOS x2
Bayonetta x2
Nightmare (SoulCalibur) x2
Ghirahim x2
Joker (Persona 5) x2
Zangoose x2
Concept: The Sims character x2
Toon Zelda x2
Toadette x2
Jack Frost (Shin Megami Tensei) x2
Garon x1
Rosalina & Luma x1
Bowser Jr. x1
Black Mage (Final Fantasy) x1
Knuckles the Echidna x1
Dark Pit x1
New Mii Fighter types (concept) x 1
Tails x 1
Fjorm (Fire Emblem Heroes) x1
Harry (Teleroboxer) x 1
Sheik x1
Concept: Snipperclips representation x1
Tetra x1
Undertale Representation x1
Revali x1
Daruk x1
Urbosa x1
Jack (Harvest Moon) x1
Sol Badguy x1
Kyo Kusanagi x1
Leo (FE Fates) x1
Ryoma (FE Fates) x1
Falco x1
Vivian (Paper Mario) x1
Mallow (SMRPG) x1
Concept: Playable Master/Crazy Hand x1
Blastoise x1

Notes

Dillon continues to lead impressively, while Shulk has the honor of being the first vet to crack the big 100. Overall, the top picks are looking interesting!

Strangely, Mipha is the only BotW champion to get more than one vote. What's up, guys? No love for Daruk? Revali? Not even Urbosa? And as a side note...I have to wonder why fan-favorite Kass hasn't popped up. Perhaps I shall use some noms on him next time.

Shout out to the folks who put Tethu on the board! Honestly, I'm a little ashamed I didn't think of him...I loved Ever Oasis. And a new IP for smash? Hmm. My noms may be a bit divided next time, lol.

New additions this round:

Blastoise x1
Zangoose x2
Concept: The Sims character x2
Viridi x5
Concept: Canon Bowser/DK/Diddy voice clips x5

Not many this time, but I am interested in the canon voice clips--I've always wanted that to change. Also, Viridi! What a great character. But are there too many KI characters? We'll need more noms for her to discuss it!

And that's that. I'll be rating Rex and Pyra sometime later today. See you all then!

...Now, I really must sleep...

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Rex and Pyra

He has a better chance than most, but other characters might edge him out. Either way, he's definitely getting considered.

Want: 25%
I do not care about Xenoblade at all.

Squirtle prediction: 50%

Ivysaur prediction: 25%

Nominations:
Travis Touchdown x2
Funky Kong x3

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Rex and Pyra -

I guess it all depends on whether or not Xenoblade 2 came out/was in development time that it could have been considered for Smash Bros. I also imagine that both of them also have plenty of move-set potential that they could bring with them that could boost them into another unique character archetype; such as Pyra in the background giving a power-boost to Rex while he fights on the main stage, or Rex using a variety of other Blade weapons aside from the Aegis. But I guess it all depends on when XC2 was in development and whether that could've allowed for Sakurai to get approval for a potential new Xenoblade Character. They've also got another competitor from their own series - be it from Xenoblade 1 with one of the other party members like Dunban, Melia, Reyn, even Elma and Cross from Xenoblade X, but I imagine relevancy would probably favour Rex and Pyra getting in instead.

Want: 85%
I wouldn't mind their inclusion as the second Xenoblade newcomer(s). Just make sure I get some those glorious Xenoblade beats as well. Cases in point: Awakening, the Zekenator's theme (Heck, Zeke would be hilarious if he joined the roster alongside Pandora,), Mor Ardain (Roaming the Wastes), Counterattack... to name a few.

Nominations: Roy X5

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Rex & Pyra

I don't really know, I haven't played the new game (yet) and I'm not sure what his/their move set would be like as compared to Shulk and other characters.

Xenoblade Chronicles is a series they're going with, it's now had three entries (despite the original almost not getting released in the US at all!). And it has done quite well as far as critical reception. So they might want to promote it even more, if they're confident in the series' appeal.

Rex & Pyra chance: 35%
I'm totally guessing, given that we don't have a good idea of how many newcomers we'll get, and whether they'd add a second Xenoblade character without more of an advancement in the series success, etc. (But Earthbound shows it's very possible)

Rex & Pyra want: 39%
As of now, I'm mostly indifferent, but leaning towards preferring not since I'm not quite sure how different he'd be. We have a lot of sword characters... and also plenty that are being suggested for newcomers. I did like XC1 so I'll probably like XC2 when I get around to it...

Upon more research, I don't appreciate the sexualized design of Pyra. Fiora's Machina design is a lot better, and even with her many of her armors draw attention to the crotch for no practical reason.

Nominations: Lucina x5

Squirtle prediction: 18%
Ivysaur prediciton: 15%

Last edited:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Rex & Pyra

chance: 46% - I'll be honest. I don't know too much about the Xenoblade series. I've played a little of the first one. and a little of X. but haven't touched Rex's game. I know the series is popular. but from what I heard, 2 wasn't too well received. that said. it was probably still pretty successful and it's the newest, so Nintendo may want to promote it.

want: 10% - The game doesn't really need another "Anime swordsman" in my opinion. but at least the gimmick with Pyra would add something extra to them as a character. so that gives them a little want in my book.

Predictions
Squirtle: 51%
Ivysaur: 49%

Nominations
Qbby x4
Banjo & Kazooie x1

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Rex & Pyra

Want: 20%

They do seem likely to me, if not now then easily as DLC. However I’m not that excited for yet another sword user.

Waluigi x4
Kamek x1

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Rex & Pyra

Chances 70% I'd say pretty high chance but not near guaranteed. I'm not sure how popular Rex himself is but I am aware that people love Pyra & Mythra. They could make it in but if not; I'd say a good choice would be Elma from Xenoblade X.

Want 15%: I'd rather not as I don't like what I've seen from Rex (I haven't played but what I've seen is pretty good). I dislike Rex's design and I don't find the combo of Rex and Pyra in Smash Bros exciting at all.

Nominations:
Jibanyan 2x
Midna 2x
Skull Kid 1x

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Chances: 60%

Sadly, Rex and Pyra feel like they have a good shot, as main characters of a decently popular game Sakurai enjoys, I wouldn't call them especially high in terms of likelihood since they do face hurdles and Xeno isn't super popular, but they have an above average shot.

One of the ones I wish I could give negative want to. I'm not a fan of XC2 at all and I in particular dislike Rex quite a lot, especially his design, not to mention sooo many bad designs in this game and on and on it goes...couldn't we have Elma instead? I would ask for KOS-MOS but unless Namco is developing again the chances of that are 0%. Or how about Dunban? These are actually good Xeno options! Alas, the hour of their return is late, and we will probably get stuck with this.

Nominations

Elma x5

Prediction

Squirtle: 16%
Ivysaur: 5%

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Rex&Pyra

Chance: 90%

I just can't see Nintendo pass up an opportunity to promote a big recent game like this. They may have to compete with Shulk but they'd likely get some gimmick to make them stand out from him. I also recall Sakurai saying he loves Xeno2.

There's really nothing about these characters or their game that appeals to me in the slightest.

Predictions: Squirtle&Ivysaur 35.8%

Nominations: Concept: return of transformation characters (Zelda+Sheik/Samus+Zero suit/Pokemon trainer) x5

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Rex/Pyra

Chance: 45%
It all comes down completely to timing. They can't rely on their game's reception since it came out recently and characters are bound to be picked by this point, and the roster tends to be drafted early on in Smash's development cycle and we know that Smash Switch started in 2016, so any game that comes after that year is not guaranteed to get character representation. Thus, for Rex/Pyra to get in, they have to rely on Sakurai being made aware of Xenoblade 2 during Smash's development, and while that is possible, it can't be treated as a certainty since Sakurai has overlooked many other characters in the same situation before.

I'm planning on getting the game, but until then I'm completely in the middle on these two.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Rex and Pyra
Chance: 65%
They have one thing holding them back, and that's how new they are. But I think it's more than likely Sakurai had inside knowledge like Ike and Greninja
I loved Xenoblade chronicles 2, of course I'd to see what they can with its main character and other stuff from the game

Nominate Skull Kid x5

Prediction
Both 7%

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Chances: 50%
Sakurai's shown some enthusiasm about Xenoblade 2, and with Shulk already in its not like the series has no established basis for having characters in. Sure, I think Xenoblade is arguably too obscure for 2 reps, which is the main thing holding him back, but that didn't stop Sakurai from piling in 6 Fire Emblem characters. I'm just holding out hope Pyra's outfit will make them too awkward to add, but when Bayonetta got in I'm not sure that's worth betting on.

Okay I'm not about to pretend the Xeno-series was this philosophical masterpiece free of the evils of anime fanservice at any point, but I felt there really was such a dropoff with XC2 where it just kind of went for the lowest common denominator. I dislike the game, and really if I had to give it credit for anything, those things would not be Rex and Pyra. They're both awful, especially Rex because for all we complain about Pyra's outfit Rex is wearing hotpants and a diver helmet on a hoodie. Its one of the worst things I've ever seen a protagonist wear. Not to get into their personalities but Rex is just the same kind of terrible bratty kid as say, Ash Ketchum. Seriously, I hate what these two mean for the series, I hate looking at either of them, and would not want them anywhere near Smash.

Nominations
Dark Samus x 5

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Chance: 18% Their game came out too recently to be acknowledge in the development cycle. They are pretty unpopular as characters from what I have seen, they stick out as dragging down the rest of the story. I also think it would just be Rex without Pyra if they got in anyway.

Want: 0% Sooner would have a character from Xenoblade 1 who doesn't drag down the quality of their entire game.

Nominations
Fawful X 5

Prediction
Squirtle 18.5%
Ivysaur 12.35%

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Rex & Pyra
Chance: 55% -
Sakurai likes Xenoblade and Xenoblade 2. The game is ripe for promotion, and would be entering late development when the roster was decided. Mechanically would be interesting. All this adds up to a likely spot, though we might not get a Xenoblade newcomer despite the series' recent popularity surge.
Want: 65% - Don't cut Shulk and I'd be happy to see them in.

Prediction: Squirtle
Chance: 9.59%
Want: 47.81%

Prediction: Ivysaur
Chance: 9.76%
Want: 57.64%

Nominations:

Sora x5

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Rex & Pyra

Chance:
80% - Probably one of the most obvious additions for this game, I highly doubt Xenoblade 2's late release will have any bearing on their chance.

Want: 0% - Xenoblade 2 has some of the worst character designs I've been witness to, and the concept of sword girls baffles me. For me it's a contender for the least appealling game I've seen released by Nintendo, and I could do without it being represented in Smash.

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
Rex & Pyra

Chance 50%
it could go either way but I would not be surprised if they got in

Want 0%
I have never played a game that was more boring than xenoblade 1 and it turned me off from ever investing money in any of the sequels. The gameplay looks to be just as overly complicated and JRPG as the first one so I dont care for it. Their designs are also just gross. wish I could give negative want to these two.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
rex and pyra (i think theyd have mythra too)

chances: 50% i can see it going either way to be honest

want: 100% xenoblade chronicles 2 is a great game and i really want then in smash

nominate, urban champion, bubbles, snip and clip (as one), tails, agumon

Last edited:
Top Bottom