• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

D

Deleted member

Steve

Chance: 5%

I don't want to give too high of a score due to how unpredictable third parties can be, but I also have to consider how immensely successful and popular Minecraft and Steve are worldwide. He's probably more iconic than most, if not all other third party characters that speculators tend to bring up that aren't currently playable in Smash.

There's the issue of being owned by Microsoft, but unlike classic Rare franchises like Banjo that got their start on Nintendo platforms, the company has allowed Minecraft to be ported their competitors' consoles. So there's that.

Want: 15%

I'm not all that interested, but I'd welcome him with open arms.

Nomination: Bayonetta x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Steve?

Chance - 10% - Minecraft is definitely a phenomenon, I'll give you that. But what of Steve? himself? Sadly, I'm unconvinced that Minecraft has a good enough repertoire of moves to pull from. Yes, you can do some very impressive stuff with terraforming, but otherwise, what can he do? I don't think a full move set of terraforming is possible. Then he kinda has nothing really of note. His animations are minimalist to the point where they are devoid of personality, and his arsenal is kinda... eh. If you saw my Isabelle rating, you will also see that teraforming, at least in my eyes, is a terrible idea for Smash Brothers based move sets. Personally, I can't see how Sakurai would end up having Steve? dance in his head compared to other characters. Unless they push for him, I don't see it.

Want - 20% - While I don't flat out hate the idea of him getting in, it would be pritty underwheliming. If I wanted a more sandboxy moveset I think I would rather have Maxwell. I think a stage is probably enough.

Predictions

Excitebike - 7.83% - Not seen as a relistic retro.

Pyra/Mythra - 2.34% - Rex and Pyra crush their chances, I think.

Nominaitions

Masked Dedede Final Smash.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I'm honestly not sure what I'd want to say for Steve. Not very confident about rating him either, so I'll double abstain for today.

------

Predictions:

Excite Biker (Excite Bike): 15.14%

He has the retro appeal down, but beyond that, I feel like competition holds him down.

Pyra/Mythra (Xenoblade Chronicles 2): 8.22%

Something tells me the idea of Pyra/Mythra fighting alone has to compete with the candidate of the two together with Rex for the next Xenoblade rep.

------

Nominations

Corrin (Fire Emblem): x5

slambros

Smash Ace
Steve

Chance: 0%
I don't think Minecraft is important enough to Nintendo to warrant Steve's incusion. I don't think Salurai would view it as prestigious enough.

Want: 0%
Where do I even start?
Generic design, limited range of motion, yada yada...
Let's not. Alright? Let's just not.

Nominations:
Ryu Hayabusa x5

:171:

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
Steve

Chances: 5%

As much of a phenomenon as Minecraft was, I cannot see Steve being playable. I mean, he is such a non-character that it exceeds even Villager. The latter can at least emote, Steve just has blank face and no semblance of a personality. I mean unless you switch the game to third person you won’t even ever see what Steve looks like.

As an Indie I don’t want him, as a Microsoft representative I don’t want him. I loved Minecraft it came out but not enough to want a rep in Smash.

Nominations:
Primarina x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Excitebike - 7.83% - Not seen as a relistic third party.
Excitebike is first party though...

Steve!

Chance: 7%
I think people are severely overrating his chances. Yes, he’s from an extremely successful game, but I don’t know how many of you would give ratings that high if it were a character from Fortnite, or Call of Duty. He has sooo many things going against him.

He’s an indie, we have no indication indies would make it in Smash, and if they were he’d compete with the likes of Shovel Knight, Quote and Shantae.

He’s owned by Microsoft, which has talked positively about its cgaracters’ inclusion, but we don’t know how Nintendo feels about showcasing the competition. Even then, he’d have to compete with the likes of Banjo-Kazooie and Master Chief, both more popular choices.

He’s a western franchise, we’ve never seen one of those in Smash. I’m not even going to attempt to list the franchises that poor Steve is going up against here.

And even with all that, there’s the question of whether he’s iconic enough vs. his game being iconic but not him. There’s his lukewarm moveset potential. There’s how awkward he’d look, both stylistically and animation-wise. And there’s the fact that Sakurai is probably at least partly aware that there isn’t a huge overlap between the Minecraft and Smash fanbase and that yes, Steve’s inclusion would piss a lot of people off.

And I think Minecraft’s a pretty good game, and people often don’t give it the credit it deserves. But it has no place in Smash. It’s pretty clearly a dying fad, being replaced by another fad. It left its blip in history, let’s just part ways now.

Predictions:
Excitebiker: 17%
Pyra/Mythra: What, without Rex? Uhhh OK... 6%, would be lower but somebody will drop a 40% or whatever and bring it up.
I can see why that’s a double day.

Nominations: Prince SableX5

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Steve chances: 17%
As usual I'm not giving high scores to third-party characters, even though I'm confident we'll get at least one as a newcomer in the base game I don't feel like gessing who it might be, it's just that taken together it's unlikely that we'll get none. Anyway, as far as third-parties are concerned I think Steve is not in a really bad position. Minecraft is a cultural phenomenon caliber game with huge appeal and has been released on Wii U and Switch; Sakurai being familiar with the game helps too. The biggest obstacle is that he's literally owned by a rival company, although the fact his game actually released on Nintendo systems makes that less of a deal breaker compared to Banjo Kazooie who haven't appeared on a Nintendo home console since the Rare buyout; could that extend to his appearance in another Nintendo owned game? Maybe, but there's the risk it would benefit Nintendo more than Microsoft if we consider that the later might not like the prospect of people buying a Switch instead of an Xbox One to play as Steve in Smash. These people could potentially buy Minecraft on the Switch, but asides from that would also buy games licensed by Nintendo rather than by Microsoft. The royalties Microsoft would ask for to allow for Minecraft content in Smash would probably be high enough to make up for that.

Steve want: 25%
I'm not really familiar with Minecraft, but at least I recognize it's a big name in the video game history, and for that reason having it represented in Smash might be interesting.

Excitebiker prediction: 29.21%
Pyra & Mythra prediction: 5.85%

Nominating:
Concept: Battlefield form stages x5
Could someone else give nominations to this? Because otherwise with the upcoming purge there's no way it's gonna survive it. I didn't take the maintenance day into account when I started nominating it.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Steve
Chances: 40%
Want: 10%

Steve is incredibly popular and iconic but working with Microsoft could be an issue. If Banjo also gets in I have no issue with the inclusion but if that is not the case I will not be happy.

Nomination: Linkle X5

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Steve

Chance: 20%

I hate to say it but he does have a shot. Mincraft is not just popular in America but Japan as well. I really don't want him and I'd prefer the Indie character to be Reimu.

Predictions:

Excitebiker: 24.41%
Pyra/Mythra: 6.66%

Nominate Lloyd Irving x5

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Steve

Chance: 5%

I really can't see it happening. Minecraft is popular in North America and Europe, has been growing in Japan, and has been on Nintendo consoles... and that's about it? Sakurai has played - and enjoyed - Minecraft, but I see a lot of people immediately think Steve's likely because of that. That isn't how it goes, though - Sakurai liking a game doesn't mean he'll jump to include a character from it.

Smash has had characters that were more popular outside of Japan - Bayonetta and Little Mac, for example - but we've yet to have a Western-developed character playable in Smash, with the closest thing being some trophies in Smash 4. Will Smash 5 be the one to break this? I doubt it personally. If a Microsoft-owned character were to get in Smash, would they go for Steve over Banjo-Kazooie, who began on the N64 with games that are considered to be some of thc console's best? The head of Xbox did say, after all, that he'd be fine with them appearing! I don't think they're super likely either, but I think they'd get in before Steve.

Not a fan of Minecraft. I've played it a few times over the years, and it just isn't for me. So I don't really have an interest in having content from it in Smash.

-----

Excitebiker chance prediction: 7.68%

Pyra/Mythra chance prediction: 13.56%

Nomination:

DeMille x5

Last edited:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Steve
Chance - 20% (Thanks to the posters show casing his Japanese following, I didn't know it was popular over there tbh)
Whether you like him or hate, you can't ignore how iconic to the modern age kids the guy is. He makes Travis, Kos-Mos, and Bayonetta look like ants... maybe dust compared to him. Biggest issue I see with him is how well he'd fit in.
Want - 20%
I don't really care too much for or against him. I never got into it, some family members did though. I will say he probably deserves it over some other 3rd parties that people lobby for like Travis or Kos-Mos or that got in like Bayonetta.

Noms - 5x Monster Hunter

I really wish this idea of what weapon a character uses makes them more or less interesting would die. Weapons are tools, so it's not what they use but how they use them. Seriously if the only thing interesting about a character is that they don't use a sword then they actually aren't that interesting.
It won't. I mean at least it has more merit than X series deserves a rep more than Y series but only if Z series gets something. And W series needs to lose someone to gain someone, and it'd be nice if U series just stayed at the same. Etc.

Weapon types does at variety. Most games already do that. Even Fire Emblem which has supplied us with two sword clones teaches the importance of their weapon system in the tutorials, and yet we just keep getting the swords.

Also it's easy to imagine how say...

Ike, Titania, Ranulf, Soren, Gatrie, and Shinon would differ more from each other than what we got.

or

Elincia, Mia, Illyana, Reyson, Jill, and Sothe would differ more from each other than what we got.

Just saying if we got some diverse casts to pick from, pulling out the same weapon type really is lacking, especially with how lackluster Roy and Lucina are. And if Fire Emblem isn't going to all out, then I guess Monster Hunter can pick up the slack.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It won't. I mean at least it has more merit than X series deserves a rep more than Y series but only if Z series gets something. And W series needs to lose someone to gain someone, and it'd be nice if U series just stayed at the same. Etc.

Weapon types does at variety. Most games already do that. Even Fire Emblem which has supplied us with two sword clones teaches the importance of their weapon system in the tutorials, and yet we just keep getting the swords.

Also it's easy to imagine how say...

Ike, Titania, Ranulf, Soren, Gatrie, and Shinon would differ more from each other than what we got.

or

Elincia, Mia, Illyana, Reyson, Jill, and Sothe would differ more from each other than what we got.

Just saying if we got some diverse casts to pick from, pulling out the same weapon type really is lacking, especially with how lackluster Roy and Lucina are. And if Fire Emblem isn't going to all out, then I guess Monster Hunter can pick up the slack.
No, it has no merit. A weapon in and of itself is inconsequential. Just wanting a character purely because they don't use a sword is a terrible reason. I mean looking at the Smash roster we have Link, Pit, Cloud, Shulk, and Metaknight who all fight differently and even just the Fire Emblem portion we have Robin, Marth, Corrin, and Ike who all use the weapon and fight completely differently. I mean there are clones with swords but they were never meant to be unique they were meant to be padding. The sword doesn't matter people can use the same weapon and produce different results. And a different weapon could still be used exactly like a sword. Ephraim could be another Marth clone just with a spear. The only difference would be him using a lance. It would be incredibly lame but there's nothing stopping Sakurai from doing it. There's nothing wrong with wanting characters who use different weapons other than swords but it shouldn't be the main reason for wanting them. People should want characters based on who they are not what they are. Smash isn't a celebration of archetypes it's a celebration of Nintendo characters. It's also silly when there plenty of gun users and fist fighters but people don't complain there's are too many of those but that's not really the main point.

Last edited:

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
Steve the Minecraft

Chance: 30%
Minecraft was massively successful and has been a huge influence on the games industry since its release. Steve is also one of the few big and recognizable characters like Pac-man or Megaman left to add to the roster.

Want: 100%
I want him almost as much as Roblox guy.

Nominations:
Dragonite x5

andimidna

Smash Master
Steven of Minecraft:

I really don’t think this game has established itself as anything more than a new flavor of the month game on similar terms as Undertale and Overwatch, but being the most successful one. This would be a big deal if it was 1st party, but ofc its not. Maybe I just don’t know what I’m talking about, but where does the series go from here? Is there anywhere to go? I’m 100% sure that if I asked my parents what Minecraft was they’d have no clue, but would know Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac Man. He can’t remotely touch their legacies. Sure, they probably wouldn’t know Cloud, but at least Final Fantasy has respect among the videogame community and Cloud was highly requested. Do you honk Steve was? I really don’t think so. Definitely not among the major Smash fans, especially with the series’s infamous rep. Even if it is deserving, which I’m not necessarily saying it is, I don’t think that means it should be a smash character. That just doesn’t seem like a good fit in my eyes. They ultimately should pick interesting characters the people that will play the game want to play, and I don’t think he cuts it. His design is simple n still manages to be atrocious. I know not many has to be characters, but I just don’t see his merits warranting that next step of inclusion, or like his assets having to translate idek
Even if Minecraft is important, Steve isn’t. It isn’t about its characters or it’s minimal combat
Chance: 8%
Ew ugly lol
Being able to build blocks up as little walls sounds appealing but Lip can do that but better

Excited biker prediction: 7.5%
Boobs/boobs prediction: 12%
Really hard to guess the 2nd imo

x1 Eevee
x4 FE Summoner

Last edited:

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Steve

Chance: 10%
Minecraft is literally everywhere nya; on nyur pc, on nyur 3ds, on nyur WiiU, on Xboxwhatever, on Playstation #, on nyur phone, everywhere. So is Hatsune Miku, but I don't see her being rated nya.:nifty: And Minecraft is hugely popular nya... If we get any Microsoft character, it'll likely be Steve nya.

I don't play Minecraft, and Minecraft never nyappealed to me nya... I fail to properly comprehend anyone who wants him nya, sorry.:nifty: Seeing Steve revealed will likely make me cry tears of blood and paint my entire room red with my own vomit nya.

Nyominations
Eevee: x5

Last edited:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community

Chance - 3.5%: Mr. Minecraft really, really isn't all that important to Nintendo. Minecraft is absolute undeniable garbage as a base game and is only made playable by the many mods made by the community. All of those mods are on the PC version only. Minecraft also really, really lacks a character to add.

Want - 0%: I hate Minecraft, not my style of gameplay at all. I'm not big on the fanbase either. Besides, if we got a Minecraft rep, it should clearly be Mr. Notch himself.

Nominate Fawful x5

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Steve
Chance: 18% - This is extremely hard for me to predict. Minecraft is undeniably one of the most iconic video games ever made, but I don’t think Steve as a stand alone character feels very iconic. Steve is the type of blank slate protagonist who’s only defining trait is the much bigger game built around him. He doesn’t feel so much as “the face of Minecraft” but more like “that guy who happens to be the main character of Minecraft”. The seven third party characters we’ve seen so far in Smash are all iconic on their own and they all have defined personalities. When choosing third parties, I imangine Sakurai’s probably going to look at how big a candidate is as a character just as much as how big the game they represent is.

Pyra/Mythra prediction: 11%

Nominations: Eevee x5

TheFritzle

Smash Apprentice
Steve:

Minecraft is definitely a big and popular enough game to be considered for Smash. Although the game is over 10 years old, it is still being heavily promoted and updated. Minecraft has a presence on Nintendo systems, the 3DS, Wii U, and Switch. The fact that they got the game on Nintendo platforms means that Steve isn't out of consideration. Sakurai looks for important history in characters, and Minecraft has definitely created its own legacy. What series better represents a current legacy story than Minecraft. Mojang isn't a Japanese developer, which lowers his chances slightly. There really isn't much going against Steve, but I just have a feeling he won't make it.

Want: 20%
This is a strange score for me, as over the past 5-6 years, I've played thousands of hours of Minecraft. I haven't touched the game in a while, but it was such a strong force for me. I remember being bored in class years ago, and thinking about a possible moveset if Steve was in smash. But, time has passed and I've changed. I don't really want Steve himself in Smash. Steve, for me, really doesn't fit in with the rest of the cast and would feel out of place in the game. I don't want to say Smash is an exclusive game, where only certain characters are worthy, but Steve just feels out of place with all the smash characters. I'd rather get a Minecraft stage.

Excitebiker Prediction: 14.56%
-----
Pyra/Mythra Prediction: 7.89%

Nominations:
Ray x5

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Steve

Chance: 4%
Technically Microsoft IP and they dont have a problem with lending out characters, but I feel like it would cause too much of an uproar negatively by some fans. With Mr Sakurai I'm sure he has certain standards to his rules.

no.

Nomination Django x5

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Chance: 64%

Steve's problems are being owned by Microsoft, and blockiness making him hard to fit in. But Minecraft is one of the top 5 bestselling games, has been on Nintendo consoles, and could be especially popular among the younger Smash fans.

Want: 36%

I don't play Minecraft, I play Roblox instead. But Steve in Smash is an interesting idea I'd like to see entertained.

Nominations: Kamek x5

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Dang, if I knew Steve was that far ahead, I would have nommed someone else. Anyway,
Steve
Steve has quite a lot going for him. Except for one thing, being owned by Microsoft. But MS has been pretty friendly with Nintendo in recent years, so anything is possible.
Despite how much I nominated him, I actually don't really want him that much. I wouldn't be mad if he made it in, though.

Excitebike prediction: 10%
PM prediction: 4.0%
Noms: Transformation characters x5

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Steve

Chance: 1%

I'm sorry but I will genuinely be shocked if Microsoft content is in the game. I gave Banjo & Kazooie a 1% chance because I genuinely feel being owned by Nintendo's direct competitor heavily overshadows their positives, and I am applying the same belief to Steve. Yes, I realize that the two companies have cooperated before, but I don't know...I do want them to work together (even if not for this character) but I really worry that there would be hesitation for Nintendo's giant crossover. I think there are many more likely third party choices. And even if a Microsoft character does happen there's no guarantee it would be him. Admittedly Minecraft is definitely iconic at this point though, if I had more faith I'd think he'd have a decent chance.

I've tried Minecraft and didn't care for it. Beyond that I also dislike his design, have no interest in his moveset potential, and generally feel that there's a lot of other third party choices that would be better choices. The only Microsoft owned content I have any interest in seeing in Smash is Rare's old stuff anyway.

Excitebiker prediction: 14.38%
Pyra/Mythra prediction: 7.49%

Nominations: Corrin x5

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Steve

- Minecraft is very popular.

- Nope. I’m not interested. Keep him away from Smash, please.

Predictions

Excitebike: 11%
Pyra/Mythra: 8.8%

Nominations

Katrielle Layton (Professor Layton) x4
Neptune (Neptunia Series) x1

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Steve

Chance: 25% - ...hurk. Just gimme a second...

Ok, now that I've finished throwing up, this is about as high as I can give Steve before it starts to become painful. Minecraft certainly is a very, very big game, but it's not really as big of a deal for Nintendo specifically. Sure it was a defining title for PC and Microsoft, but for Nintendo? It's not really as influential of a franchise. The weight of those blocks is hard to ignore though, so just by sheer iconicity alone we might see this ugly blocky mess make his way in.

Want: 0% - If it wasn't obvious, I'd rather keep Steve as far away from the roster as possible. A Minecraft stage with destructible blocks that Steve comes by to replace? Sure, go hog wild, that'd be the perfect way to represent Minecraft. But I don't want Steve's nasty 6-block self sticking out like a sore thumb against all the other characters on the roster. That and I just don't see it as on the same level still. Minecraft is a great game and creation tool, sure, but putting it in a game that's all about Nintendo and it's greatest contributors makes me feel a little sick to my stomach. Minecraft has contributed next to nothing to Nintendo, yet it's ugly permanent placeholder gets to be honored amongst the best and brightest? No thank you.

Predictions

Excitebiker: 19.22% - If Takamaru for some reason gets skipped again, this guy will definitely race to the front of the pack. It'd be interesting to see how Sakurai deals with a bike-oriented character, but I feel he may need to wait until next time for his real chance.

Pyra/Mythra Solo: 14.80% - If these two get in, tying them to Rex feels like just the gimmick Sakurai would love to implement. Therefore, I can't really see them getting in solo, but who knows? Maybe them "changing stances" between the two is something that'd pique Sakurai's interest as well.

Nominations

Scorpion x 5

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Steve

Chance: 25% - ...hurk. Just gimme a second...

Ok, now that I've finished throwing up, this is about as high as I can give Steve before it starts to become painful. Minecraft certainly is a very, very big game, but it's not really as big of a deal for Nintendo specifically. Sure it was a defining title for PC and Microsoft, but for Nintendo? It's not really as influential of a franchise. The weight of those blocks is hard to ignore though, so just by sheer iconicity alone we might see this ugly blocky mess make his way in.

Want: 0% - If it wasn't obvious, I'd rather keep Steve as far away from the roster as possible. A Minecraft stage with destructible blocks that Steve comes by to replace? Sure, go hog wild, that'd be the perfect way to represent Minecraft. But I don't want Steve's nasty 6-block self sticking out like a sore thumb against all the other characters on the roster. That and I just don't see it as on the same level still. Minecraft is a great game and creation tool, sure, but putting it in a game that's all about Nintendo and it's greatest contributors makes me feel a little sick to my stomach. Minecraft has contributed next to nothing to Nintendo, yet it's ugly permanent placeholder gets to be honored amongst the best and brightest? No thank you.

Predictions

Excitebiker: 19.22% - If Takamaru for some reason gets skipped again, this guy will definitely race to the front of the pack. It'd be interesting to see how Sakurai deals with a bike-oriented character, but I feel he may need to wait until next time for his real chance.

Nominations

Scorpion x 5
You can also nominate the Pyra/Mythra thing (without Rex)

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I almost miss garbage day

Steve
Chance: 15%

want: 0%

If I can give this a negative I will. I hate Minecraft, The last thing I want is Steve in smash, he's boring and is game sucks. Just because someone in iconic doesn't mean you have to suck their ****, Minecraft is dying. It will get kids to play smash argument is dumb, first of all, kids already play smash and Kirby pokemon and Mario does that job well don't need Steve and second Nintendo need to stop catering to kids. It has gotten to the point we can't have voice chat on the main console and have to download an app on a phone to use it. Enough of this because of actions like this Nintendo game are taking seriously. **** If you get anything from a sandbox let it be from SimCity a better game than Minecraft.

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
Minecraft Steeeeeve

Chance: 25%

Okay he is very influential, very famous, very popular. Not much Nintendo presence but Cloud is in Smash 4 and Minecraft Steve has had more presence than Cloud on Nintendo consoles. I'm not sure if Sakurai has ever mentioned Minecraft? It'd be interesting to see his thoughts on it.

He is one of the biggest names in gaming and him being in Smash would really be big, I think. I could see Sakurai doing it.

Want: 30%

Okay so I'm not a big Minecraft fan or anything but I think it'd be amusing to have him in Smash. It'd also cause a lot of Buzz that would garner attention. I prefer to have mostly Nintendo characters in but I feel Steve would fit in to some degree, being such a big icon.

Noms: Sable Prince x5

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
Steve? Yes, Steve. That Steve.

Chance: 60%

Yep. I really did go there. I really do feel like Steve is a sleeper pick in the third-party department, especially since his games show no sign of stopping. His game of origin is the second best selling game of all time and has been going strong for about nine years now. Sakurai has also gone on record stating that he has played and enjoyed the game, and the game itself has quite a following in Japan. Minecraft has also made an impact on the gaming industry as a whole (which is one of Sakurai's requirements for a third party rep), including in education (especially with its aptly subtitled Education Edition version of the game), the inspiration of other sandbox and open-world games like it, among other things.

It is also primarily known for its creative freedom and its wide array of items to work with to make a myriad of creations, which come together to make perhaps one of the best moveset potentials for any prospective Smash character. He could use nearly any item in the game as part of his moveset, whether it be a potion to temporarily weaken an enemy or strengthen himself, an Ender Pearl to recover, blocks as a way to punish rushers or to use the stage to his advantage, TNT for devastating damage, or just a trusty sword or bow. The possibilities are endless just like Minecraft itself.

The only issues are Microsoft being a western company, which is somewhat alleviated by its Japanese branch. However, Sakurai likes to talk to the original creator for consent for their character's use, which may make communication difficult as Notch does not know Japanese. The other issue lies in Minecraft's minimal animation; this would be awkward to translate in a game like Smash because it would feel weird seeing someone with stiff movement fight against someone with such dynamic movement. This could potentially be alleviated by using animation from games like Minecraft: Story Mode, which use much more varied animations for their blocky characters rather than the animation used in the original Minecraft. He is also not necessarily a "character," but rather an avatar, meaning his personality is just an empty husk filled by the player's. This simply would not work in Smash as every character in the game has a distinct personality in some way. Perhaps Sakurai could find some way to work around this, but this would be the most difficult aspect of his character to dance in his head.

Want: 70%

At first, I was neutral about the prospect of a Minecraft character having playable representation in Smash. However, I eventually learned more about Steve's moveset potential, I thought he would be one of the most fun additions they could put into Super Smash Bros.

Predictions:

Pyra/Mythra (without Rex): 11.56%
Excitebiker: 14.44%

Nominations:
Concept: All-Star Versus (new gamemode) x5

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Steve Chance: 30%

Wouldn't call him more likely than not, but with the fame Minecraft and Steve have achieved, I don't think he's one of the least likely third-party newcomers. Being on two Nintendo consoles helps a bit, too.

Want: 50%

As much as I love Minecraft (which I very much do) I can't really go higher than this on want right now, because even I haven't ever been that keen on the idea of the game getting content in Smash. It would just.......feel kind of out of place to me. Particularly Steve being a fighter. At least I think it would; maybe if it actually happened, I would have a change of heart, I don't know. Steve actually becoming playable would be the only way for me to know for sure.

I hate to admit it, but I'm also going a bit lower on my score because I really don't want to see the kind of toxicity and arguments this character's presence would bring along within the community if he were added.

Nominations: Tetra x5

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Chance 30%
He has a lot of good points. Steve is an icon or if he somehow isn't considered one then he is coming very close. Minecraft is so big it has transcended gaming. Many of us grew up with Mario and Mickey Mouse and they became utter staples in our culture and Minecraft is doing very much the same things for young kids these days. My own 5-year-old brother spends his days watching Minecraft videos, playing Minecraft, being surrounded by his ungodly amount of Minecraft toys. He got a Switch for his last birthday and choose to play Minecraft over BoTW. This isn't even uncommon Many kids are just as infatuated with Minecraft and many older games love it too. It's even one of the best selling games ever. That kind of worldwide recognition is something that would immediately catch Sakurai's attention. And heck I think he's even played it himself. If Steve himself was an actual character then I think he'd be the most likely 3rd party newcomer out there. I think Minecraft will have some presence in Smash but I don't think a playable character will be a part of that.

Want 10%
I don't hate Minecraft. It's that pointless type of game I have no interest in myself but I don't hate it. I do think it's popularity is completely undeserved. Nothing about it is very special or groundbreaking, however, it came out at the perfect time for the youtube gaming culture to wrap this game into a cultural phenomenon. It could have been some game actually deserving but nope the stars aligned and this silly game is now one of the biggest games out there. It's sad really. I don't really think Minecraft should be in Smash the only reason my want for Steve isn't 0 is because it means Nintendo will be working with Microsoft and that helps Banjo get in. I know some people think Steve would stop Banjo but no I see no reason they can't both be in. Still, my preference is the Bird and Bear coming to Smash without Steve.

noms: Ray x5

Last edited:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Steve

Chance 30%
Want 0%

Somehow I can see him sneaking in, Minecraft is pretty huge and everyone recognizes it. However it’s a 1st person builder game so idk how well that would translate into a fighting game. He would definitely need a stage, because idk if they character is as recognizable as the brand.

x5 Arcade Bunny

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Minecraft Steve

Chance- 75%
Want- 50%

Despite being owned by Microsoft, Minecraft has retained a level of autonomy not only appearing on competitor consoles but competitor Macs and IOS devices (It's one thing for Xbox to allow a game to be on another console, it's another for Microsoft to allow software to be on another Computer Manufacturer) which is way more than any other IP owned by Microsoft. The series is a cultural phenomenon, Not only is it one of the highest selling games of all time but during my time at Toys R Us, Minecraft merchandise sold better than all other video game toys combined. Phil Spencer's comments about Banjo can be interpreted for any Microsoft character. Sakurai likes Minecraft. All of this leads to it being very likely.

As for myself... I don't really care.

Nomination- Ryu Hayabusa x5

Side note- When was importance to Nintendo ever a factor to a 3rd party character being in Smash :snake::4cloud:

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Steve:

Chance 10%: As huge as Minecraft is I doubt Steve would have greater consideration than Banjo & Kazooie or any other 3rd party characters that have a strong connection to Nintendo.

Want 5%: He really doesn't belong in Smash Bros.

Nomination:
Pokemon Trainer (Gen 2) 5x

Last edited:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
I mostly saw a bunch of kids being kids and one particular older boy (closer to the age of posters on here) trying to insert himself into stuff as a joker. Funny enough, the older male trying to ham up stuff was worse to me than any of the kids asking dumb questions or making weird faces.

Not sure why teenage and young adult males think it's cool to pick on kids being kids and liking something that their generation grew up with. I have almost 0 connection to the series myself, but I think the people picking on the fans are way worse than the fans. :p

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Steve
Chances: 35%
Easily the most likely third party newcomer imo. Minecraft's a money machine, it's popular in Japan, it's on multiple Nintendo consoles, is eternally relevant, and has the honor of being "indie" in origin, yet it's also insanely iconic. If Nintendo wants to give off the image of supporting indies by adding a indie character, he'd be an easy choice, even if Minecraft's no longer indie, it's pretty much the pinnacle of indie success stories and it getting in Smash would only further show just how far an indie game can really go, and even if they don't, Steve's still going to be a major potential pick simply because he's from Minecraft and Minecraft is just that big, plus it's got major ties to Nintendo now.
I don't care either way. I enjoy Minecraft as a game but Steve's just kind a afterthought, I don't feel any connection towards him lol.
Predictions: Pyra 7% Excitebiker 23%
Nominations: Dragonite x 5

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Steve

Hugely successful series. And unlike Sora, whose negotiations with Disney might be difficult, Microsoft would probably be more willing to have the guy be in there. However, I see it far more likely that Minecraft will get a stage or a Creeper assist trophy. Remember, in Smash 4 Sakurai was willing to put in 3rd party content that wasn't a fighter. Like costumes and trophies. Maybe Minecraft will be a stage. I can see it as a stage.

Nah. Once again there's only one other 3rd party character I'd want.

Predictions for Pyra
Chance: 30%
Want: 45%
Predictions for Excitebiker
Chance: 12%
Want: 35%

Nominations
Barbara ×3
Slime ×2

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Steve

Chance: 12%
Unfortunately, I could see it happening. Minecraft's success along with the fact that it has found its way over to Nintendo consoles and have been heavily marketed there as well. I could potentially see a deal going through for Minecraft content in Smash. I still think it's unlikely since Microsoft seems to be notorious for making it difficult to get any of their IPs into Smash, but it wouldn't surprise me if Minecraft was the exception. I'll give the Minecraft player character a score of 12%.
Smash is always full of surprises...

Originally I was going to give this character a 0% want rating, but then I saw all of the negativity pointed toward the idea of him getting into Smash in this thread. If Steve were to make it in I figure it would amuse me to see the Smash fan-base feel as upset as I felt when Bayonetta got confirmed. :grin:

Prediction
Excitebiker: 18.6%
Pyra/Mythra: 9.4%

Nominations
Tetra x 3
Toon Zelda x 2

Top Bottom