• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Henry Fleming want: 0% (2-10*)

Nominations:

FE Spear User x5

* Indicates percentage penalty for potentially taking a slot from most wanted characters

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Alright, I know we're not supposed to bring up Blue Bowser until his day, but I think I need to fill y'all in on Blue Bowser's insane past. So, back in Mario 2/The Lost Levels, instead of the normal Bowser, at one point you have to fight against a Bowser with a slightly bluer palette. According to official character encyclopedias from the time, those are a thing in Japan, Blue Bowser was meant to seriously be Bowser's brother. Bowser's parents named his brother the same name as him, but with "Blue" at the start.

We never heard from him again, which means the brother thing was fully canon for years, until Smash 4 declared him a fake copy... but THEN another character encyclopedia came out a YEAR LATER, which stated that Blue Bowser was DEFINITELY a different character, only with unknown relations to Bowser. Blue Bowser is a different character from regular Bowser. This is 100% canon.

So yes, Blue Bowser is a character that basically only exists conceptually, and has been retconned out of existence no less than 3 times. This is the actual strangest thing to ever happen to the Mario series, and might be one of the weirdest trivia bits in the entirety of Nintendo. and yes, he has a Mario Wiki page to fully cement it

anyway,

Henry Fleming
Chance: 1%
Want: 5%

I like having obscure characters in Smash, but this guy is potentially too obscure, even as a 1st party Nintendo game made by the Fire Emblem devs. The game sold like, less than 10k from what I remember, which is pretty abysmal. I'd only really want Fleming if every other character I want gets in, which is a pretty far mark. I'd be really upset if he got in but K. Rool didn't.

Bidouf

Smash Rookie
NNID
wii_fam_rocks
Might as well join in.

Henry Fleming

Code Name: Steam pretty much flopped upon release, not being close to ground-breaking and relevant enough to warrant a full character. I don't think Henry, or and CN:S character would really deserve to be added in, due to any lack of iconic status.

Want: 0%

I don't care for CN:S at all.

Ashley prediction: 27.86%

Nominations:

Concept: Indie Character x3
Tails x2

Troykv

Smash Master
Henry Fleming:

Chance: 10%

I would usually give someone like him a bigger chance rate for being the main character or a relatively relevant hype for the Smash Period... but it has a big problem in the form of perception... This game was doomed since the beginning of his existence, and I'm unsure why... But in general, this game looks like something that Nintendo would like to forget ever existed... unless Sakurai had Sight beyond Sight.

Want: 50%

A pretty standart score... He would be interesting.

Prediction time!

Ashley: 31.4%

Nomination time!... Oh... Micaiah is already in the schendule... so...

KOS-MOS x5

xD

Henry Fleming

The game was a flop, and Henry Fleming is a character based on another literary character (from "The Red Badge of Courage"). I don't think they'd go for it.

Want: 10%
I think there's potential for the character to have a decent moveset.

Nominations:
Arle Nadja x1
Geno x1
Lana x1
Micaiah x1
Tethu x1

:171:
Geno, Lana, Micaiah and Tethu had already joined the schendule.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Henry Fleming
Chance - 10%
1st party with a game on the 3DS, may spark Sakurai's interest in potential. But lack of sales and popularity.
Want - 60%
Looks better than half of the anime looking waifus that people try to push for. Seriously, I love all the different art styles and wacky designs Nintendo comes up with and this guy fits that better than FE Lord #7 or Hyrule Warriors Jailbait Harem. Not that those series characters don't belong, but we're getting a bit saturated in those types.

Nominations 5x Greninja

What this actually came from was a user including Blue Bowser on his fan roster and adamantly defending his inclusion, and insisting he could have an original moveset. I mean, you can force a moveset for it, but you can force a moveset for a plank of wood if you try hard enough. That doesn't mean it's good.

http://fantendo.wikia.com/wiki/Jake's_Super_Smash_Bros./Playable_Characters#Blue_Bowser
Hmm, Mike Anderson (Battle Clash) on that guy's roster makes me think of Streets of Rage in the looks department. Mecha fighter... hmm there's potential. Extremely unlikely, but I look forward to different styles and variety in characters.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Henry Fleming

Chance: 5% - New IP created by Fire Emblem's developers. Given Sakurai's affinity for Fire Emblem, it wouldn't be too far of a shot that he'd promote Intelligent System's new IP, even if it didn't sell all that well. I still think his chances are relatively low, just not impossible. Has a decent shot at becoming an Assist Trophy, though.

Want: 1% - Not a character I know a lot about, but he's a 1st Party, so there's that. I'd give him a chance if he got in, but I definitely wouldn't care if he didn't.

Nominations: Slippy Toad x5

TheFritzle

Smash Apprentice
Henry Fleming Chance:
10%
He's from a dead franchise that isn't going to come back anytime soon. The only chance he has is if Sakurai sees potential in his moveset and puts him in the game solely on that.

Henry Fleming Want:
5%
Whatever, he looks cool, but I know nothing about him. I forgot Codename S.T.E.A.M. existed before yesterday.

Ashley Prediction:
41.81%

Nominations:
Sylux x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Henry Fleming

Chance - 2.5% - Never did well, sadly. While he might have made it in if he did well, the game fell through. Unless a sequel does well, I don't think he will get in.

Want - 60% - The concept of classic literary characters going steampunk and fighting aliens seems like a cool premise, but even after playing it I wasn't exactly enthused. Still, concept alone makes me interested in seeing this game have a future.

Predictions

Ashley - 35.24% - Stupidly popular, but not likely in many's eyes.

Nominaitons

Masked Dedede Final Smash X5

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Chances: 2%

Not being mean, just can't see him as a fighter and he has too much competition. An AT could suit him just fine

Nominations:

Gengar x4
Zeraora

Predictions: Ashley 45%

D

Deleted member

Henry Fleming

Chance: 2%
Code Name: STEAM wasn't exactly a success. At this point it's a one-off series with poor sales; no idea why IS would push for Fleming over a Fire Emblem character.

He doesn't interest me. Abraham Lincoln though? Yes please.

Nominating Tingle x4, KOS-MOS x1

Ashley Prediction: 33.21%

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Henry Fleming

Chance: 5%
His game bombed.

I'm usually not fond of whitewashing, but Codename S.T.E.A.M committed the unforgivable sin of making Marth speak English, so it should be erased from history.

Ashley prediction: 25%

Nominations:
Travis Touchdown x2
Funky Kong x3

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
The Red Badge of Courage

Want: 65%

Single game that did poorly - not really much of a chance there. Plus, Smash has always catered more to the Japanese fanbase, and STEAM is Red, White, and Blue Americana, which can be offputting in large enough doses. It doesn’t look like the franchise is going anywhere either, so I don’t see much chance in him making it.

That being said...

Steampunk Captain America? Totally awesome concept! I would not be disappointed in the slightest to see him. He looks awesome, and the whole steampunk would give some great looks for moves or stages.

Ashley Prediction: 13.666% (lol)
Nom: Skyrim stuff x5

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Henry Chance: 5%
Game bombed. Yeah...

Want: 30%
... I seriously need to play said game too. I've had it for months now yet I haven't touched it because of numerous reasons.

Ashley Prediction: 20%

Nominations: Gengar X5

:094:

Last edited:

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Henry Fleming

His IP basically died at birth nya. But nyothing's impossible, and if Sakurai really wants this guy, than nyaaa~

Want: 20%
I have nyothing nyagainst him, I just don't care the slightest once for him or his game nya~

Nyominations
Mimikyu: x5

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I'm usually not fond of whitewashing, but Codename S.T.E.A.M committed the unforgivable sin of making Marth speak English, so it should be erased from history.
But he speaks English in actual Fire Emblem games though.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Henry Fleming

He has good moveset potential, but other then that it's not looking good for him. Codename STEAM was a flop and there's not too much of a push for him to really mitigate the issue, so he may very well be ignored due to his lack of prominence.

Want: 85%
With that said however, I loved the game, I feel it's horribly overlooked, and I would love to see it get more recognition. Plus Henry would be a fun character due to the mechanics of the game, so I'd love to see him get his chance in Smash.

Nominations: Lycanroc x5

Mighty Moose

Smash Cadet
Henry Fleming
Chance: 0.1%

Who the **** remembers Codename STEAM outside the biggest Nintendo nerds and the handful of people who bought it

Want: 15%
From the little I know of the game, he at least has moveset potential. If we're going on obscure handheld franchises there's more deserving characters though.

Nominating Ganon x5

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Henry Flemming
Chance: 3%
Failed IP. Failed really bad. This is what happens when you don't advertise well or raise hype for a new game.

Want: 80%
I loved Codename: S.T.E.A.M.! And Henry is awesome! Everything about that game is awesome and he would be a great addition to Smash. However, it ain't gonna happen.

Predictions for Ashley
Chance: 45%
Want: 75%

Nominations
Barbara the Bat ×3
Slime ×2

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Henry Fleming
Chance: 0%
From a failed IP that barely anyone really cares about.
I also don't care about it.

Ashley Prediction: 29.47%

Nominations
Decloned Dark Pit x4
9-Volt x1

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Only in the most recent ones, and it's still an affront to nature.
You'd consider 2008/2009 to be recent at this point? Shadow Dragon wasn't voiced, but Marth still spoke in English text.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Henry Fleming:
Sadly for all intents and purposes, Codename S.T.E.A.M was a commercial flop... :/ It'd certainly make getting a new entry or Henry finding himself playable in Smash much harder. With the sales not being a strong point, I imagine Henry's best chance would probably rely on an Assist Trophy that gets him a bit more attention, then the developers at Intelligent Systems possibly deciding on a 2.0 Codename S.T.E.A.M

Want: 60%
I think Fleming's got a pretty decent amount of potential for a fighter, but I wouldn't mind if he gets in as an Assist Trophy either.

Nominating:
Wonder Red X5 (If we haven't already done him by now)

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Just gonna post quickly to vote-beg!

If anyone can spare 1 vote for Starfy, that should be enough to save him as he's currently at 19 and I used my 5 votes today to get him to 24! Look at this cute little legendary guy!

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Just gonna post quickly to vote-beg!

If anyone can spare 1 vote for Starfy, that should be enough to save him as he's currently at 19 and I used my 5 votes today to get him to 24! Look at this cute little legendary guy!

I changed mine. Don't know if it was too late, but I hope it helps you out.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Henry Fleming
Chance: 2% - It’s unfortunate that Code Name S.T.E.A.M. under performed and is very unlikely to see a sequel. I highly doubt Sakurai would consider Henry given both how poorly his game sold and how little demand their is to see him in Smash
Want: 60% - S.T.E.A.M. was truly an underrated gem, I hope it gets at least an assist trophy.

Ashley prediction: 27%

Nominations: Starfy x5

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Henry Fleming
His game flopped
Don't have interest on him

Nomination: Octopath Traveller Character x5

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Henry Fleming

Chance: 1% - Codename STEAM was a flop even before it was released, and aside from one patch, the game's been quietly swept under the carpet and never mentioned again. At most it'll get a trophy or a song, and if it's really lucky, an Assist Trophy. But unless Sakurai is secretly the game's biggest fan, this steampunk lunk is sunk.

Want: 5% - There's much better places to look for newcomers in my opinion. I don't hate the guy like I do certain other options
(Rabbids, Jibanyan, Sans) but I'd much rather the time that would spent on him be used on someone else. Even amongst Intelligent Systems characters, I'd much rather we get a long-overdue Advance Wars character rather than Henry.

Prediction

Ashley: 22% - People are very bullish on the little witch, which I've never understood. Maybe it's because I've never played a Warioware game, but she just seems like any other minigame host to me, not really worth playable candidacy. Regardless I think she's going to do well tomorrow, to my confusion, but we'll see.

Nominations

Impa x 5

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Henry Fleming

Chance 0.5%: This game has done so poorly, has zero Japanese presence, and people in the West aren't exactly screaming for him. The token 0.5% he has is the event that there's somehow another game being made behind the scenes.

Want 5%: Nothing against the character himself really, he seems fine enough. The game he comes from, however, just seems like a very poor choice to represent in Smash to me, and would just be more fodder for "why is this game represented over this other game" arguments.

Nominate Cranky Kong x5

andimidna

Smash Master
Thanks for the info btw, but I’m still gonna abstain because these other posts seem to be doing the job just fine.
I will say I don’t find his design interesting, and I remember certain things I disliked abt this game, but overall I’d like to see some content from it for sure, just not a playable character. I think that seems perfectly fair.

Also glad it seems like we’re finally gonna get to Isabelle, Impa, & Sylux. They seem like p glaring omissions from who we’ve rated so far.

Ashley prediction: 32%
I predict that I’ll be on the lower end of these ratings in terms of chance. Another Wario character seems far lower priority to me than most make it out to be. But hey, who knows.

x2 Viridi
x2 Ghirahim
x1 Tiki

Edit: It doesn’t seem like my nominations from yesterday were counted, and the list post says it was updated today oop

Last edited:
Henry Fleming

Chance 0%
No book characters

Want: 1%
Henry is an asshole and a coward. He deserves no badge of courage.

What's that. . .we're rating a different Henry Fleming. . .wait not a different Henry Fleming? Henry Fleming if everything was steampunk? Alrighty then.

Henry Fleming (this is like the only song I know since I dont want to dive into the OST unitl I beat it but holy **** is this song good)
Codename STEAM bombed. Hard. It's a shame but that's business. Henry's best chance is a whole lot of luck and convenient circumstance. His only (slim) chance is Sakurai looking back at the 3DS library for inspiration and seeing a moveset out of a gun with a bird on it. . .yeah it isn't a pretty sight. I wouldn't worry about being based on a character though TBH. Seems like a minor issue when we have dr kawashima floating around.

Want:70%
This would probably be 100 if I had finished the game. But I took a break and my data go deleted. and nothing stops me from playing a game faster than being forced to replay content to get to new things. I'm sure i'll get around to it eventually though because I had fun. Henry is pretty damn cool himself and I could see some fun from a steam gimmick.

. . .jesus christ I read his book before i played his game.

noms
Marth and roy get english VAs x5
:061:

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Henry Fleming (Codename S.T.E.A.M.)

Chance: 0.2%

- Very, very unlikely. It doesn’t help that his game bombed horribly.

Want: 29%

- He has an interesting concept with the steam gimmick. Not someone I’d go crazy for but he’d bring something new to the table.

Prediction

Ashley (Warioware): 37.5%

Nominations

Katrielle Layton (Professor Layton) x3
Starfy (The Legendary Starfy) x2

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Henry
I just don't a game that was pretty much a failure making it into smash. Especially when there are plenty of character you could pick from other series. Even from smaller ones like Dillion.

Want: 5%
Really don't care for it.

Nominations: Veronica (Fire Emblem) x5

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Henry Fleming

Chances: 1%
He really doesn't have anything going for him. His only game seemed to bomb pretty hard, and without any real praise to its name either. He seems like prime assist trophy material, if anything at all.

I really couldn't care less about his game, or his character. Sorry to his fans, but he's just not on my radar.

Nominations: Fawful x5

Roberk

Smash Champion
Pretty much every other post has said this, but this has to be a part of every Codename S.T.E.A.M. (that is way too difficult to type out wtf) discussion. The game bombed. He'd make it to an assist trophy at best if we are being realistic. He gets this 5% because he's
  • First party
  • Recent enough to fit into the project outline
  • From a developer who has a large presence with Sakurai and Smash (Intelligent Systems)
  • Got lots of unique moveset potential to pique Sakurai's interest.
Want: 100%
I've only played the demo of his game but holy crap, I'd love him in Smash. I'd rather have Abraham Lincoln because, well... ABRAHAM LINCOLN IS A FIRST PARTY NINTENDO CHARACTER NOW WITH CODENAME STEAM BOYS. Henry would be cool too though. His steam resource management and Eagle Rifle can amount to some fun gameplay and he has an awesome silver-age American comic book aesthetic. This combined with being a literary character and steampunk is just great. Also, it could give hope for some kind of port or sequel for Codename STEAM which would give this IP the second chance it deserves. IS took a chance and combined western literary characters, steampunk, silver-age comics, aliens, all into one tactical squad turn-based RPG.

Ashely Prediction: 20%

Noms: Azura x5

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
All these 1% ratings are pretty harsh. Makes me wonder what characters from older, more obscure, and more distant Nintendo titles would get.

Top Bottom