• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

D

Deleted member

Gonna abstain from today's rating and just leave my nominations.

Phoenix wright x5

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
Layton chance: 5%

He has popularity and stars in a successful series with a close association with Nintendo, but even so, among third parties you'd want heavy hitters like Ryu and Cloud. At best, Layton is only fairly well-known, which is okay but not strong enough to land such a coveted spot in the smash roster. Strong sales and possible ballot support give him some fighting chance, but I really don't think he'll make it in.

Layton want: 15%

I'd rather have Phoenix Wright, but he's pretty cool too. However, there are too many other third parties I'd like first.

Tew

Smash Apprentice
Layton Chances:
12%
Probably the most likely Level 5 Third Party character followed by Jibanyan. But there are so many other likely third party characters, e.g. Rayman, Bomberman, Rabbid Mario, Crash, Shovel Knight, Shantae... that I think have a slightly higher chance and I doubt they will add too many third party chas

Layton Want:
Abstain
(Haven't played a game from him)

Waluigi Predict:
36,29%

Nominations:
5x Fjorm

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Layton
Chance: 5%
I don't see it happening.

Want: abstain
I can't make a fair post here because I know very little about him and his series, but what I do know makes me think I would like the games.

Waluigi prediction: 22.7%
Nominations: Pyra/Mythra (without Rex) x2, Neku x3

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Just curious, does everyone rating Layton low here assume that Bayonetta is the exception to the game “iconic” rule because she was a ballot character?

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Professor Layton

Chance- 20%
I actualy never took a good look at the chances of handheld characters, like Layton, Phoenix Wright or Maxwell. Thinking about it now, its certainly possible, but I dont think he stands a chance against the heavy hitter 3rd parties. He needs the Ballot, but if he did well, it would be very smooth sailing from there. The strong bond he has to Nintendo also helps, but then again, that also applies to the other handheld series.

Want- 1%
I'm sorry, but I have never played a Professor Layton game. I like the music that was posted, though :) .

Waluigi- 37.92%

Doomguy X 4
Thwomp X 1

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Prof. Layton:

Chance: 23%

Want: 5%
Never played any of the games unfortunately.

Predictions:
Waluigi: 42%

Nominations:
Snorlax x4
Ken Masters Alt Costume for Ryu x1

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Professor Layton

Chance - 17.5% - While not crazy iconic compered to most of the third party lineup, I think he can pass as an "honorary Nintendo character" that Bayo and Mega Man did. Level-5 is supper tight with Nintendo, and Layton is their flagship; Youkai watch is close, but I think Layton has a bigger chance. That said, third parties are tough to get in, and there seem to be bigger fish on everyone's mind.

Want - 70% - I can appreciate him getting in, which is more than what I can for most third parties.

Predictions

Waluigi - 27.84% - Heck if I know.

Nominations

Anna X5

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Layton
Chances: 30%
Had his bigger shot back in SSB4, when him as a protagonist was still active (I don't know much about Layton but I know now in the newer games there's another protagonist right?) He's still really close to Nintendo though which gives him a fair shot

Want: 55% I only played an hour of the third game in the series. I loved it, but I didn't have the opportunity to play more. So I'm somewhat indifferent but I'd probably end up liking it

D

Deleted member

Abstaining from both Want and Chance scores for Professor Layton.

Nominations:
Music: Final Destination (Ver. 2) x5

Waluigi prediction:
19.4%

Megaban

Smash Cadet
PROFESSOR LAYTON
Chance -5%
I don't know much about franchise, but I know it's 3rd party which already makes it hard, not to mention being 3rd party usually means you have to be iconic. Around 2 years ago I ha no idea he existed. He just lacks impact to stand a major chance, but company' closeness to Nintendo and multiple titles make it possible.

Want -20%
To put it bluntly -I just feel he doesn't belong here. Without being relatively recognisable at least (or getting through special cirumstances like Bayonetta) he doesn't seem to add much, besides the way the game works Villager's moveset was much easier to think up. And there are a LOT more likely or deserving candidates.

Nomination -Lana x5

Prediction: Waluigi 35%

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Layton

Chance: 3%

There are a bunch of potential 3rd party newcomers they could put in the game and I see the proffesor being overshadowed by them. Even if we'd get an Level 5 character I'd say Jibanyan would be alot likelier.

Want: ABSTAIN

Think I'm just from now on gonna give this to characters I have no experience with and am neither for nor against..

Predictions:
WAAAAAH: 28.52%

Nominations:
Hades x5

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Layton chances: 12%
He's fairly popular and has consistently appeared on Nintendo consoles and is owned by a company in very good term with Nintendo. Layton may or may not he in a better position than other third-parties; I generally give them fairly low scores, but cumulated it gives a low chance of getting none of them.

Layton want: 22%
I briefly touched one of his games once, and I actually thought he'd be an excellent idea at some time, but I didn't know he wasn't owned by Nintendo then. He'd be okay I guess, but I don't imagine being particularly excited for him.

Waluigi prediction: 24.52%

Nominating:
Concept: veteran character artworks recycled from Smash 3DS/Wii U x5

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Professor Layton
Chance: 50%
You all are seriously underrating this guy.

————————————
-Extremely popular during the Ballot Era, which we know will play a roll in newcomers this time around

-Easily recognizable to a majority of Nintendo gamers

- Layton games are exclusive to Nintendo consoles (they’re on mobile too but I’m just talking game systems)

-Level-5 has a close relationship with Nintendo and are open to crossovers

————————————
Puzzle Man has a lot in his corner.

Want: 45%
I’m not really big on puzzle games, but from what very little experience I have with the Layton series, I like the character. He’s not high on my wanted list, but if he got in I’d probably say “Hey, that’s pretty cool”.

Also, my mom likes Layton games a lot, so I’m sure she’d find it neat :)

Predictions:
Waluigi: 32.5%

Noms:
Henry Fleming x5

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Professor Layton: 30%
With new games and an anime coming out, I feel like it's definitely possible. I'm not sure, but I think the good professor was going to make an appearance in the anime?

Either way, if there's anyone from the Layton series in it would have to be Layton himself.

Want: 90%
As far as 3rd parties go he's essentially my bayonetta. A lot of people wanted bayonetta, that series was also supported by Nintendo and then got put in smash. Now imagine that but with Layton. I'd be really hyped about it.

Waluigi's predicting: 38.9%

Nominate Isabelle x5

D

Deleted member

Professor Layton

Chance: 4.5%

I suppose he has a better chance than most third parties, but I can't really give a high score considering how many options are out there.

Want: 80%

Sure.

Prediction: Waluigi - 14.4%

Nomination: Shulk x5

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Professor Layton
Chance - 15%
If he gets in, it'll be due to the ballot. I couldn't see Sakurai going for him otherwise.

Want: 55%
Mostly for the music.

Predicting a 30% for Waa.

Nominating Henry Fleming x5

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Professor Layton

Chance: 20%
Want: 0%

Seems that he’s got a good relationship with Nintendo, but I don’t think of him as an incredible gaming icon, and I’m biased against third parties on principle unless they’re incredibly iconic (or unless I’m being hypocritical).

Despite the fact that people can develop movesets for literally anything, the fact remains that he’s from a puzzle game series and really doesn't do much outside of sit and wait for you to solve something before proceeding. Thus, most of his moveset would have to be original. I’m also not a fan of his overly saccharine design - it reminds me of those posters in elementary schools where everyone and everything has the same ridiculous smile.

Layton for me is in the same boat as Shantae, Shovel Knight, etc.: there are way too many other third parties who are much more important gaming icons, or even important first parties who have continually been neglected, and should have priority. I think we as a community here do overestimate how well certain characters did on the ballot, and Layton’s another one of those characters you don’t hear much noise about outside of his support thread.

Waaaaa: 39.5%
Nomination: Mewtwo x5

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
professor layton

chances: 40% i don't think they'll do it but they might

want 90% i love the games and id love to see him in smash, thered never be a more polite fighter

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Prof. Layton

Chance: 40% - I've never played a game in the Layton series, and while they aren't the biggest of the big in terms of popularity. they've got a history with nintendo. and a loyal fanbase. I could see him having a decent shot and being basically smash's equivelent to Pheonix Wright in MvC3

Want: 12% - I have no attachment to him. but they could come up with something interesting, based on the puzzling nature of his games. that said, I alredy have a most wanted puzzle game character i'd like to see get in

Wluigi Prediction: 63.5%

Nominations

Qbby x5

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Layton

Chance: 30%
Layton games due seem to be associated with Nintendo though I see them going with more popular 3rd party reps for now but who knows.

Want:5%
Layton series has never interest me and neither will see him in smash.

Nomination: Linkle X5

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Layton

Chance: 70%

He is popular enough to get a film, animated series, manga, and has a significant amount of games on Nintendo consoles. He isn't a huge icon for his genre compared to Ryu and Cloud.

Want: 0%

Nominations: Arle Nadja

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Layton:
Chance: 3.14%
There are so many other third party-characters, and even that Yokai Guy from Level-5 themselves. Plus, he's not even the protagonist anymore. Still, there is the ballot to consider.

Want: 70%
I liked the first Professor Layton game, but I don't really see Layton as a smash bros character. I could easily be proven wrong here though.

Predicting Waluigi at WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH%
Nominating Qbby x5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Ok so here are the Midna Scores

Midna
11.70% Chance
45.48% Want

For a one time Zelda character, Midna did ok. She did fine in want, albeit she is seen as unlikely. I wonder if Skull Kid and Ghirahim would be rated similarly.

Ura Ura gets 5 extra noms since they were the closest.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Professor Layton

Chance: 5% - The only way I see Sakurai going after him will be due to the ballot. Otherwise, I don't think anything about him really stands out enough to be considered.

Want: 0% - His games were fun back in the day on DS, but I've no interest in seeing him in Smash.

Nominations: Concept - New Story Mode (x5)

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Layton Chance - 2.5%: Sakurai would have to go into the deepest crevices of his brain to force a moveset for this character, and what's more he has to go out of his way to request doing this torture to himself because he's a 3rd party.
Layton Want - 10%: He would be pretty funny as a joke character, I guess. If I didn't find him humorous as an addition, this would be 0%.

Predict Waluigi 33%

Nominate Blue Bowser x5

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Professor Layton:

Chance:
10% - Although it doesn't feel like they're pushing his series as hard as they used to, Nintendo have still shown a lot of support for it throughout the years, so although I do consider him far down in the 3rd party pecking order I don't think it's overly outlandish.

Want: 10% - Something about the artstyle has always put me off, I like simplistic designs, but it's a tad much. Beyond that I don't really know much about him.

Nominations: Skull Kid x5

D

Deleted member

Layton

I have a hard time rating 3rd parties highly. He's not even a gaming icon.

Want: 5%

He's not interesting to me.

Waluigi Prediction: 33.33%

Nominations: x5 Labo character

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Professor Layton

Chance - 3%

He has history with Nintendo, but he isn't much of an icon and doesn't have a whole ton of history behind him. I know he has some popularity from the ballot, but it's nothing to write home about. Definitely not at the top of most popular or wanted 3rd parties.

In the case of a Level-5 rep, I feel like someone like the red Yokai Watch cat would be a more likely choice, because Yokai Watch was (still is?) super popular in Japan at one point.

Want - 0%

I'm a stickler with my 3rd parties. If they ain't an icon, I don't want them in Smash. I've had some fun doing some puzzles from his game I've seen online, but I wouldn't want him in Smash.

Nominations:
Nintendo Labo Character x5

slambros

Smash Ace
Professor Layton

Chance: 20%
I'll be optimistic abour Professor Layton. Nintendo and Level-5 have a great relationship, and it doesn't hurt that the character is fairly popular.

Want: 100%
Professor Layton was a part of my childhood; I am all for his inclusion.

Predictions:
Waluigi - 31.73%

Nominations:
Skull Kid x5

:171:

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Professor Layton

I suppose he has a chance, it is just not a particularly good one and honestly, I would rather Phoenix Wright if we are going the puzzle, text adventure route. The only real benefit is that he is not yet represented and Capcom already has two plus other notable characters as competition.

Want: 100%

I still want him though.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Professor Layton

Chance: 25%
His chances are good enough.

Want: 15%
I don't care

Waluigi prediction: 40%

Nominations:
Funky Kong x5

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Chance: 35%

Want: 75%

Waluigi Prediction: 37.86%

Nominate Lucasx3
New Donk Cityx2

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Professor Layton

Chance: 26% - As far as third parties go, he's certainly in a better position than most. Mobile phone versions aside, his series is entirely Nintendo-based, he's had an anime movie, and he's decently well known. However, he's nowhere near the heights of other 3rd party candidates like Bomberman, Rayman, Simon Belmont, Crash, or others. By comparison to them he's still very new to the gaming world, and for any other character, it'd be a death sentence, but Layton's closeness and undoubted ballot popularity gives him a fighting chance to pull a Bayonetta and forgo the usual third party iconicity rules. It helps that his creators have openly talked about wanting him in Smash.

Want: 80% - Normally, I'd be 50-50 on Layton. But the fact that he's the best shot to stonewall Jibanyan from getting into this franchise has me rooting for him way more. Hate that awful thing and the rest of it's series design, he's up there with Rabbids and Sans for characters I actively don't want to ever get near Smash. Plus, Layton has a slot machine coin gun. I'd love to use that in Smash.

Prediction

Waluigi: 38.37% - The more characters that get onto the roster, the fewer there are standing in Waluigi's way. I think with the scope of newcomers considered and his almost-definite ballot showing, this is the first game where Waluigi will have a legitimate chance, and I feel like others will agree.

Nominations:

Dark Matter Blade x 5

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Professor layton

chance 2%
not nearly as popular as other 3rd parties like crash and rayman and dosn't really seem to be a big enough game series.

want 10%
don't really want him tbh

andimidna

Smash Master
Prof Layton:

A lot of the longstanding iconic 3rd parties are in. Bayonetta did get in because of the Ballot, but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t pave the way for others of her caliber.

Chance: 15%

I can’t put this too high just based on the fact that there are so many potential 3rd party series’ characters they could go for. From Bomberman, to Rayman, to Crash, to Spyro, to Banjo, to Phoenix Wright, to Snake returning. I do feel as though there’s become a sort of expectation for 3rd parties, whether that’s warranted or not.

Want: 65%
I don’t know too much about him, but he seems cool. Plus, Layton is my middle name lmao

Waluigi prediction: 40%
He seems to have a cult fanbase here like Dee

x3 Azura
x2 Veronica

Graizen

Smash Champion
Prof Layton
Chances:
20%
Want: 20%

I've never been much of a fan of Layton games or Phoenix games, so I do not have much to say. Chances in my opinion are not very high, but who knows!

Nomination: Agumon x5

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
PROFESSOR LAYTON

Chance: 50%

I'll post something I wrote earlier:

Layton is a character I don't see mentioned much, but I think he has a realistic, though small, chance of being in the next game.

* All the main series games, as well as Layton vs Wright, are Nintendo Exclusives, and although the other spinoffs were also on iOS, so are Mario and Pokemon.

* Level 5 have released many games exclusive to Nintendo systems, such as Yokai Watch, the Inazuma Eleven series and Snack World, showing that the two companies have a good relationship, essentially being '2nd-party' developers. Despite this, Level 5 do not currently have any representation in the Smash Bros series. Furthermore, the CEO of Level 5 has said all of the companies future games will be on switch.

* The games have sold 15.5 million copies worldwide (as of April 2015).

* The series continues to be popular, with a movie already having been made, 3 novels and a manga published, as well as a series in the works.

* Level 5 have said they are working an getting a Layton game working on the switch. (rumored to release in Late Summer 2018)

* Layton and the Curious Village is the 17th highest selling DS game, ahead of both Zeldas, Warioware, and many other first party Nintendo Games. The other 3 Layton DS games are also within the top 38 highest selling DS games, all selling at least 1.91 million copies.

* Layton featured in the advertising booklets bundled with DS games in Europe, which featured mainly first party games otherwise. Layton was also displayed on the Nintendo of Europe website alongside Mario and Zelda back in the DS era. UPDATE: Layton still features 6th on a list of prominent Nintendo series here:https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Characters-Hub/Nintendo-Characters-Hub-106313.html, on a section of the Nintendo UK website that was recently updated (and placed above Kirby and Metroid); He's even specifically called a Nintendo Character.

* The official Layton twitter tweeted this: https://twitter.com/LaytonSeries/status/863184385683595264 showing that Level 5 has at least a small interest in having Layton in the game.

* Smash currently has no other characters from a series that debuted on DS.

There is other evidence, such as a tweet from the voice actor, but I doubt the validity of this since it was published around the time of Smash 4 being developed, and there was some confusion over whether it was serious or not. I also recognise that this sort of thing could be said for many characters, and is in no way hard evidence that he could be included.There are also a lot of other people that would like to see Layton in the game, (searching twitter for layton smash finds a ton), but again, this is true for many characters.

I'd like to hear what other people think about him as a character, and if they think he should be in the game.

WANT: 100%

I love these games: they are one of my favourite game series of all time, as every game is consistent and fun to play. The ending of Lost Future is my favourite ending of all time (if you've played it you'll probably know why). Layton is by far my number 1 choice for Smash Switch, and the potential for his moveset and stage make me want him even more.

Prediction:

Waluigi: 53%

Noms: (Huh, what am I gonna nominate now)
Playable Master Hand x5

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The Good Professor

Chance: 10%

Not feeling optimistic about Mr. Layton's chances. In the third party pool, characters like Rayman, Bomberman, and maybe even Phoenix Wright would take precedent over him and his best shot for inclusion would be DLC (and even then i'm not too sure). Unless he did super well on the Ballot or something. I could be sleeping on his chances.

Want: 70%

I'll admit I know next to nothing about Layton's series and all but I know a lot of users on this forum that would be ecstatic for his inclusion in the game. I would be happy for them if he were included.

Prediction: Waluigi

Chance: 17%
Want: 42%

Nominations (Hooray extra noms! :))

Masked Link X 3
Mike Jones X 3
Concept: Advance Wars CO X 2
Concept: Decloned Ganondorf X 2

Last edited:
Top Bottom