• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Overrated
  • Shantae
    • Has a fair amount of things going for her but dear lord will people overblow her importance and act like she's a lock just because spirits can be playable now. Even in her absolute prime I think chance scores like 60% and higher are ridiculous for an indie character like her.
  • Isaac
    • Got a ton of high scores when we recently rated him. I don't think Sakurai cares too much about AT promotions plus the series has been dead for a long. And yes I know about the trademark thing but I'll believe it when they actually announce a new Golden Sun.
  • Waluigi
    • Again I'm starting to think that AT promotions aren't all that likely. Also for personal reasons I think Sakurai is just sick of Waluigi at this point.
  • Master Chief
    • He is iconic no question about it but the Xbox flopped in Japan and FPS games still aren't popular there. I think being niche in Japan is a death sentence when it comes to chances especially for DLC.
  • Geno
    • Basically a combination of Shantae and Isaac. A fan favorite but his chances/significance gets overblown all the time.

Underrated
  • Kazuma Kiryu
    • Yakuza is one of Sega's biggest series but doesn't seem to get a lot of talk when it comes to Smash (at least compared to fellow Sega character Arle). We haven't rated him and I don't really see him get talked about for Smash.
  • Monster Hunter
    • Quite possibly the most underrated candidate right now. One of Capcom's biggest IP's with a strong history to Nintendo. We did get some MH content in the base game but with Min Min happening I think base game series are back on the table.
  • A Gen VIII Pokemon rep
    • I'm gonna be the outlier and say that this is actually underrated simply because almost everyone I see says this won't happen because of the November spirit event. We know how much Nintendo loves to shill for the latest Pokemon Gen and with a new one releasing right in the middle of the DLC cycle I can see them adding a Galar rep despite the Gen VIII spirits.
  • Lara Croft
  • Neku
    • A character who has been getting a lot of push from Square Enix recently. His game is also considered to be one of the best games on the DS so I can easily see him making it in.

-----

Nominations:
Zelda (BotW Universe) x10

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I won't name anyone in particular, but I'd like to say I take issue with people telling you what to think regarding a character's chances. You came here to give your opinion and see other opinions; Differing opinions are fine and your allowed to argue your viewpoint, but I'm drawing the line if we start telling people what rating to give or how confident they're allowed to be in a character.
I'd like to add on to this and say that I don't like it when characters are dismissed as a bandwagon, either. That just gives off the impression of belittling them and insinuating that their fans don't really care about them. I get that we're discussing overrated characters, but it just comes off as overly rude to me.

In the meantime, I'm slowly beginning to think Lara isn't that underrated after all.

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
So I've been very inactive since the new rerate schedule started, but are these top 5s based on characters we've rated before today or are we allowed to throw any characters in it?
Just wanted to thank you because I wouldn't have found this thread if you didn't nominate Zhao Yun and I wouldn't be able to nominate Lu Bu if you didn't create the support thread.
Been on a Dynasty Warriors kick recently, let's goooo!
Same. I started to play Dynasty Warriors again for the first time in a long time. Is it you I should be thanking that Lu Bu is so high on the nominations? I recently started to post here because I wanted to push for Lu Bu.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Figured I'd give some underdogs a spotlight. Not sure if I'll do a write-up on my 5 most overrated characters quite yet. But if I do, it'll be in a different post.

5. Kazuma Kiryu - This is one that kind of surprises me. For as big and iconic as Yakuza is and the community's emphasis on fixating in on big third parties, Kiryu is a name that very rarely gets brought up. Is it because people think Sakurai would be hesitant to give Sega a fourth unique character when every other company is stuck at two? That doesn't seem to be a problem for Arle. Is it because people think Yakuza is too mature for the world of Smash? Sakurai did a fine job writing around the adult elements of Metal Gear, Bayonetta, and Persona and Yakuza does have some pretty silly moments. Is it the lack of a Nintendo connection? While that definitely hurts him more than it helps, that hasn't stopped characters like 2B and Master Chief.

Regardless, Kiryu has a pretty decent chance at getting in. Yakuza is one of Sega's biggest money makers, especially in recent years, and has become something of a flagship series for the company. Similarly, the games have garnered massive acclaim both in Japan and abroad for having fun characters, engaging stories, and loads upon loads of content. Plus, Kiryu seems basically made for Smash, being a brawler with multiple stances and a blackbelt in hit-you-with-this-thing-fu. Is he a lock? No, he's still competing with Arle for a possibly non-existent fourth Sega slot. However, this dragon is a lot more real than people think.

4. Reimu/Quote - I'm going to cheat a bit here and put two characters together, simply because I have very similar things to say about each. Indies haven't had the best run in Smash thus far. We've had 5 indie franchises in Smash (Bit.Trip, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Undertale, and Cuphead) and none of them had playable representation. No one really knows why that's the case but it's become somewhat of an observable pattern. Despite this, indies are still occasionally thrown around, but the two indies that are probably the most likely are rarely brought up.

There's two things that I think put Reimu and Quote above their contemporaries. First, they're Japanese. Sakurai has said in the past that Japanese devs are far easier to work with for Smash than English-speaking devs. Given that every indie we've gotten in Smash comes from an English studio, perhaps this is what has stopped Sakurai from pursuing a full indie character? Secondly, Reimu and Quote have much more of a legacy than the other indies we've seen. Touhou has evolved into a popular franchise over the course of 20 years, while Quote launched the modern indie revolution and inspired the countless retro-styled games that followed from there. Does it make them particularly likely? Eh... if these aren't the issues confronting indie characters, Reimu and Quote may also be up the creek with the likes of the Knight and Commander Video. However, I still think they're the indies most worth keeping an eye on.

3. The Chosen Undead - For one reason or another, speculation as a whole has really focused in Lloyd vs. Heihachi as far as a Namco character goes. And with Heihachi's unfortunate fate as a Mii costume, it really seems like Lloyd is the top dog of Namco right now. Now, I like Lloyd, and he has more than a fighting chance. However, there's another big Namco franchise that's been largely neglected throughout Ultimate's speculation.

Similar to Kiryu, the Chosen Undead hails from a big, modern series that has become one of their company's most popular series in a relatively short amount of time. The fact that "the Dark Souls of..." has become so ubiquitous as to become an industry defining meme really shows just how big the series has become. Even Nintendo has acknowledged Dark Souls' popularity, with Dark Souls: Remastered being a major headline in the March 2018 direct. the Chosen Undead would also be super unique, contrasting the speedy, animated swordplay of the likes of Marth, Link, and Cloud with slower, more realistic swordplay based around countering and parrying.

2. Monster Hunter - Similar to Namco, Capcom has largely been defined to a somewhat small set of characters for mainstream discussion. Ever since Resident Evil got spirited away, Capcom has basically been the Dante-Phoenix Wright show. That being said, I really don't get why people are have been ignoring Monster Hunter so much, considering that many of the issues initially confronting the series are no longer really stand. Monster Hunter's only has a little more base game content than ARMS, so even if you're a hardliner on DLC not overlapping too much with base game content, Monster Hunter isn't a big jump. Similarly, Capcom has gotten more comfortable using the Hunters themselves in crossovers since MvC3, so that issue doesn't really stand either.

That's not even going into the good that a Monster Hunter character could bring. The series is an absolute icon of modern gaming with a very strong Nintendo association. If Dragon Quest didn't get the Japanese audience jumping up and down out of their seat, then Monster Hunter will. Plus, with countless weapon types and traps to play with, a playable Monster Hunter has more moveset potential than nearly any character out there. It's really an inclusion that basically speaks for itself.

1. BotW Zelda - Yes, I'm serious. Just hear me out for a sec.

In both waves of DLC thus far, a spot was left open to be decided at a later date. This spot's purpose? To include a character from a game released between Smash's release and DLC's end. In Wii U/3DS, it was Corrin. In Fighter Pass #1, it was Byleth. It's clear that Sakurai and Nintendo liked this idea enough to revisit it even after Corrin's lackluster response, so I really think this is going to be a reoccuring theme throughout any future DLC that's done for Smash. Similarly, both these characters came from games that released about 6 to 8 months before their Smash debut. Assuming this character is going to be the last fighter of the pass, that means we're looking at an April to June 2021 release for this character. The one Nintendo game we know is in the oven that could realistically release during that period? BotW 2.

Okay, so we've arrived at BotW 2, but how do we get to Zelda from there? Well, looking to the one trailer we have, there's three characters: Link (who already has his BotW form in the game), the dry man we know nothing about, and Zelda. In particular, we can observe two things about Zelda from this trailer. First, she's cut her hair short. This may be little more than a design change, but it's a common trope in East Asian fiction to have a female character cut previously long hair when taking a more proactive role. This proactive role can be seen in the second observation, Zelda is actively adventuring with Link instead of being a living plot device.

Now, let's think back to the original BotW. Even when the game was first announced all the way back in 2014, what was one of the first major questions that emerge? "Can I play as a female Link?". On the first glimpse of Link's more androgynous appearance, demand for a gender option emerged and quickly snowballed from there. This, combined with the evidence of a more action-oriented Zelda, really makes me think she'll be a full playable character. This incarnation of Zelda is notably popular and perhaps it was deemed to break the lore/brand too much to give a true female Link, so a playable Zelda was the next best thing?

If Zelda is playable in BotW 2, then takes away the issue that initially scared Sakurai away from her. She may be scholar, but now she has a much stronger adventurer element to go with it. Additionally, this creates a good opportunity to build a full BotW moveset from the ground up. BotW deviates so much from many of Zelda's tropes, just giving BotW elements to a Link that's meant to represent the entire series feels like we're only scratching the surface of what could be done bringing that gameplay style to Smash. Weapons beyond the broadsword and boomerang, the Sheikah runes, and the Champion's abilities would all work great in a moveset.

It does require a few assumptions, but none of those assumptions are too :083: in my opinion. BotW Zelda is a popular character with a ton of moveset potential that's basically fighting against no competition for a spot that has historically been reserved for characters in her position. Call us Link for the 100 years after the calamity, because we are sleeping on Zelda.

Last edited:

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, why is Monster Hunter slept on so much. Even before I got into the series I never discounted it from Smash because of its sheer popularity.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
  • Kazuma Kiryu
    • Yakuza is one of Sega's biggest series but doesn't seem to get a lot of talk when it comes to Smash (at least compared to fellow Sega character Arle). We haven't rated him and I don't really see him get talked about for Smash.
I could have sworn we rated Kiryu not too long ago, like near the beginning of this year.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, why is Monster Hunter slept on so much. Even before I got into the series I never discounted it from Smash because of its sheer popularity.
From what I've seen it's mostly due to it having content in base game, but I don't think that does much to it if ARMS is anything to go by.

I find it interesting that Kiryu gets brought up as a sleeper. He always seemed fairly discussed to me. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places...
Same here, I often see him mentioned. Though then again, it's mostly in here.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
This is for a few reasons. The series is already represented with Rathalos, the mascot of the series, plus a couple music tracks. This reasoning is backed by the words of someone in the MH development team saying that they prefer to have the monsters crossover instead of the hunters.

But to be fair, these points are actually mute now. Having base game content isn't a deconfirmation thanks to Min Min and a hunter is playable in MvC Infinite. Maybe a rerate is in order.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Speculation in general.
Awesome! I got some good ones then. These are just in the order I thought of them in and nothing more.

Underrated:
1. What if I told you that a company that had content already in Smash also owned a popular series with a number of highly regarded games and characters and also has been on Nintendo consoles in the past? You'd think that it would be involved in the speculation scene to some degree right? Yet, here we are. The Far Cry series is owned by Ubisoft and has a major launch title coming up for next gen consoles and yet not a word about it in the speculation scene. Sure, there's some solid arguments against it, but there's a lot going for the series too that I already mentioned. The fact that nobody even talks about it even though there's so much going for it is kinda mind boggling. My personal pick here would be Jason Brody from Far Cry 3, which is the most popular game in the series seemingly. Vaas would be cool to and is a really underrated villain. Not sure he'd be the best pick unless the rumors that Far Cry 6 is going to be his prequel story, then I think things look a lot different.

2. We've gotten a 3rd party fighting game rep in each round of DLC so far. Sure, you could argue that Arms is our fighting game series thats getting repped this time around but with 6 spots it's inevitable we double up on a genre at some point. Also fighting game characters are probably the easiest genre to translate to Smash while being able to produce a solid level of hype still. So, which fighting game do I think has a solid chance? How about one that has had a couple titles on Nintendo systems? How about one from a company who already has content in the fighters pass? And how about one that was last seen as a launch title for the Xbox One and is likely due for another game soon? Of course, I'm talking about Killer Instinct. It seems like everyone has zerod in on Master Chief and Steve alone as potential Microsoft reps and tossed everything else aside but I think that there's enough issues with both those characters where the options shouldn't be narrowed down to the both of them. It's very possible that Microsoft will want to present something that isn't one of those 2 series with a brand new console launching and Killer Instinct feels like it's in a good spot should the top 2 not get chosen. Personally I think I'd go for Riptor due to how much she stands out although I don't know the series too well so there's possibly a better pick out there.

3. Hey, here's another series just like the other 2 I mentioned. So, what if I told you that there was a company out there who is working super closely with Nintendo on multiple projects? What projects you might ask? Well nothing major really, just a MOBA involving Pokemon and bringing an entire console to a very large market that was previously untapped by Nintendo? Well here you go. In case you don't remember, Tencent is working with Nintendo on those things. Tencent owns Riot Games, who produce League of Legends. I've been touting League of Legends as a major contender for Smash for a while now and it just seems like people keep ignoring it. Sure, there's no LoL or LoL adjacent games on the Switch(yet) and there's been no PC gaming representation anywhere in Smash right now. However, I'm not sure that matters much anymore and the DLC so far has been appealing to different regions of the world. It just makes sense that whenever Smash is officially released in China that they add a character and series to the game that's iconic in that region and League of Legends is just that. Also, it helps that League is pretty popular in the west too so it's not just a matter of picking something that only China likes and moving on.

4. Alright, it's time to take the themes of the 3 above and blow them up a bit. Why? Because there's an entire chunk of the globe with plenty of iconic characters with interesting movesets that aren't in Smash right now. In fact, a lot of them are considered not close. The few western reps in the convo right now seem to be Crash and kinda Tracer, with Doomguy being in the convo at one point but fading away. So who do I think is underrated out of all the good western reps out there? There's a lot of characters I could go for here but my pick right now is Dovahkiin. Why Dovahkiin? Well first, Skyrim is one of the most iconic games of the 2010s if not the most iconic. Also, a lot of Bethesda competition is dead now with Fallout getting a Mii Costume and Doom Guy basically dead from that interview. I'm one of those people who hasn't played Skyrim yet so I can't talk a ton on moveset or the likes. There's a lot of other contenders for this spot, such as Jack or Big Daddy from Bioshock who I'm gonna give a runner up spot to here, but Skyrim is more relevant in gaming still. Honestly, feel like the only barrier for Dovahkiin now is being a western rep.

5. Ok, so there's one last character who I think it's insane that nobody has ever brought up in Smash speculation. Sure, the game and series has never been on Nintendo. However, this character is very well known. This character is has it's game owned by pretty much everyone no matter if they know it or not. This character is as recognizable as Master Chief, Lara Croft, Mario, and all the other big names of gaming. Who could I possibly be talking about? It's none other than the first ever Google rep in Super Smash Bros, The No Internet T-Rex!

..... Ok that was fun. let's get to my actual last pick

5. My actual 5th pick is going to be a little bit of a stretch here but it's one I think is somewhat reasonable. I mentioned above that I think fighting games are the easiest by far genre to pull a moveset from. So what's the hardest one? Feels like visual novel would be a pretty tough one to put together. While the most obvious choice is Phoenix Wright, who I love and want in the game, he's not even close to underrated in the speculation scene. So we're going to the 1A for VN reps, which is Monokuma. While not extremely underrated, I think Monokuma is slept on a bit. A lot of the criticism I see is lack of moveset, too violent, and to niche. To the niche point, fair enough I suppose. I don't think there's any real argument against that. However, I would like to point out that other series that are a niche as this one get brought up a fair amount. Now to the big 2 I see. Iv'e seen people argue that Monokuma is considered too violent and therefore needs to be toned down, and once that happens too much gets taken away from him to create a moveset that fits the character. Well, I don't agree with that. Smash has people get sliced and stabbed by swords and knives, shot by arrows and guns, and exploded by tons and tons of bombs. They managed to find a way to not have a half decapitated, bullet hole covered, guts hanging out Mario even with all those weapons and none of the characters with those movesets feel like different characters. The same can be done with Monokuma. I've only seen a play through of Trigger Happy Havoc but just based on that you can easily come up with stuff that either isn't too violent(baseball, motorcycles, fire, to name a few) or tone down things like spikes to create a good moveset for him. Also, I think creating a moveset for a visual novel character would be a challenge Sakurai would enjoy. Sure, he doesn't directly pick the characters but there's a 0 percent chance that he gets no input other than what he's told us. I'm positive that if he said he wanted to do a specific character that as long as it's not dumb or a nightmare to set up that Nintendo would let him. Like I said, this one is a small stretch but I think Monokuma doesn't as much credit as he could and wanted to give him the 5th slot since I'm kinda low on ideas for number 5.

Overrated - Probably gonna type a little less for these since I did so much above and don't just want to **** all over peoples favorites. That being said though, I got a few cases that I want to look at so here we go.

1. Rayman - I don't really get it here at all. The character doesn't seem to have the same fan support he once did. I'm not going to deny it's still there but Rayman at one point was a top 3rd party name and now it feels like so many have passed him that it's no longer enough to get him in Smash. Also, I just don't see a fun moveset here for him. Overall I just struggle to see Sakurai sitting down and being like "Yep, Rayman's without a doubt someone I can design something super unique and interesting around". Some characters just aren't the most interesting. That's fine, it doesn't make them any lesser than others. But I think people really need to acknowledge that too since I still see people thinking this is a slam dunk pick for DLC and I just don't see how.

2. Reimu - This is the one that bothers me the most. I think people see popular characters from Japan now and just assume its a matter of time before they get added. On one hand, it's sorta fair because Nintendo seemingly has been favoriting Japanese owned and based characters but on the other it doesnt mean every single Japanese character is getting in. So, lets dig into it a little bit yeah? First, she's an indie. There are currently 0 playable indie reps in the game. She's also, last I checked at least, not had any games localized yet. The last character who have that and get in Smash was Lucas in Brawl, who was then cut for Smash 4. That's also been a major reason characters like Takamaru have been left out even though it seems like Sakurai would love to have him be playable. On top of that Touhou is pretty unknown outside of Japan. I just can't believe what I've been seeing for the last year with people thinking she's virtually a lock when there's so much lined up against the popular in Japan point. Also think a lot of the buzz around her comes from fake leaks that her own fanbase makes, which I'll give points to for creativity but also deduct them all because it's annoying as hell.

3. "Obvious shill picks" - My first multi spot one for overrated. This one goes out to all the characters who's popularity in speculation exists because people think Nintendo is gong to give them more of what they don't want on purpose. Specifically I'm talking about Urshifu, BOTW Zelda, the protag of the next FE, and basically every lead character of any first party game that gets announced. Out of all of these the only one I think is even somewhat realistic is BOTW Zelda, who I'll get to later. First I need to say that no, just because you don't want it to happen doesn't mean it's more likely. A DLC Pokemon being a DLC pick for Smash just kinda feels... weird, doesn't it? Like I get there's Pokemon DLC to sell and all but that doesn't mean you have to select the DLC Pokemon to try and sell it. There's plenty of base roster Pokemon who would work and the fact that Nintendo has been really into promoting the starters lately that I just don't see it here. On the point of every 1st party game's protag, let's look at when and where those characters usually come. So far it's been at the end every time. Corrin was 2nd to last and Byleth was last in their DLC cycles. So no, Paper Mario(just an example here) was never more likely because of the game that came out last month or whatever. By the time we get to the point where Nintendo slots a character like that the new PM game would have at least been over a year old. They aren't using a "shill" spot on a game that came out over a year ago. Now with BOTW Zelda I could acutally see it because we don't know when BOTW2 is coming out and it's probably safe to assume it's a holiday release next year. So that's reasonable with what I just said. However, I really think people are overblowing the triforce users only thing that Smash has fallen into with LOZ reps. And even though the movesets will likely be different in the end she's still Zelda and I don't think Sakurai is going to try and sell us a character that we already have as DLC. That just doesn't seem like something he'd want to do. I think a BOTW 2 character is likely but I think jumping straight to Zelda is not the correct assumption to make here.

On the point of the next FE rep... god, just shut up. I know a ton of that is memeing or whatever but I've seen people actually afraid DLC 11 will be yet another FE rep. Here's why it's not gonna be. First, the next FE game, if there's even one being worked on right now, is likely not even far enough along to worry about considering 3H was released like a year ago. It's a little too early to even think about it yet. 2nd, Sakurai isn't putting a character in the game that he can't even touch yet. Yes, I know about Corrin, Greninja, Incineroar and Byleth. Even though those 3 might have been selected before the games came out they were at least far enough along that Sakurai could experience part of the games with them in it. There's a 0 percent chance that the next Fe game was even close enough to the development point that they would bother saving it a spot in the fighters pass. I get it, I really do, we have a lot of FE in Smash. It doesn't mean they're gonna force even more in because reasons(and before anyone even thinks of it, no, that's not why Byleth got in, stop it).

In short, no. The game that just got released isn't getting into Smash. Urshifu isn't coming just because Pokemon DLC. FE isn't getting another rep just because. Stop assuming everything has something to do with Smash and stop assuming every Smash meme is going to happen because memes.

4. 2B - This is another one I don't completely understand. While I've said it 100 times already, Nintendo connection matters less and less now for Smash, I think it does matter to an extent. I see a lot of Joker comp and while it makes sense, Persona 5 has had a lot of expansion that was planned while Nier hasn't had any of that on Nintendo. Because of that I just don't really see why Nintendo would decide she's someone they need in the pass or why Square would want her over so many others. Kinda thought the buzz would be gone after the next 5 DLC characters all didn't follow that pattern at all. If there's something else here I don't know about I'd love to hear it because it feels like she should have gone the way of a lot of other temp speculation favorites by now.

5. KOS MOS - God, the dark days of Smash speculation. When it turned out all you have to do to get a character to be considered likely was to spam fake leaks with one character on them and eventually people will believe it. This isn't to say KOS MOS wouldn't be fun to play as. She looks super, super cool and while I don't know the character I'd assume she has a solid moveset. But man, the fact she's still considered likely by some even after Bandi-Namco decided Xenosaga wasn't profitable enough to remaster shortly after fighters pass 2 was already decided is just logic breaking and should be a complete killer for any character. For some reason though, even with that pretty well known now in speculation, I still see her listed in people dark horse lists or what ever outside of RTC and I can't comprehend it. Being in a lot of crossovers doesn't cancel that out.

Damn, that's probably the most I've typed in one sitting since I was in school. Fun RTC day. Feels like a good time to thank TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom Sari Sari GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 and anyone else who is on the RTC staff that I dont know about for running such a fun game. Even though it seems easy these internet games are tough to run and take a lot of commitment from everyone involved. Even if you do everything right sometimes they just fizzle out over time, so the fact that we've done 500 different days of RTC and still have a solid base of players feels like a massive milestone. I appreciate everything you guys do and hope that once Ultimate's DLC is finally done we can all look back at how insane this all was.

Also, I apologize if I slaughtered anyone's favorites too hard. The point of my overrateds was to grind a few axes and then move on and it was not to tell anyone they're stupid for wanting who they want. If I was going to do that I'd have to start by calling myself out because my most wanted is Nathan Drake, who is almost certainly less likely than everyone I mentioned. If I went to hard let me know and I'll apologize, because the last thing we need is to find ways to make people feel worse about themselves in the trash ass year that's 2020.

Noms
A Non Steve/Chief Microsoft rep x5
Stretchers x5

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
2. Reimu - This is the one that bothers me the most. I think people see popular characters from Japan now and just assume its a matter of time before they get added. On one hand, it's sorta fair because Nintendo seemingly has been favoriting Japanese owned and based characters but on the other it doesnt mean every single Japanese character is getting in. So, lets dig into it a little bit yeah? First, she's an indie. There are currently 0 playable indie reps in the game. She's also, last I checked at least, not had any games localized yet. The last character who have that and get in Smash was Lucas in Brawl, who was then cut for Smash 4. That's also been a major reason characters like Takamaru have been left out even though it seems like Sakurai would love to have him be playable. On top of that Touhou is pretty unknown outside of Japan. I just can't believe what I've been seeing for the last year with people thinking she's virtually a lock when there's so much lined up against the popular in Japan point. Also think a lot of the buzz around her comes from fake leaks that her own fanbase makes, which I'll give points to for creativity but also deduct them all because it's annoying as hell.
LimitTomato.jpeg
If I have to refute this point one more time then I ****ing swear...

As of current, there are twelve official Touhou games on Steam. While the official games aren't officially translated, this is because ZUN is aware that the fans will create their own translations within a couple days of release, defeating the need for an official translation. If anything, this is a point in Reimu's favor, as evidence for the fandom's dedication. This also isn't going into the countless translated fangames scattered throughout the various platforms, Switch included. Reimu may not be as popular in the West, but she is NOT AN UNLOCALIZED CHARACTER.

I'm getting really tired of having to argue this point...

amageish

Smash Master
I'll just do underrated characters... Who is overrated really depends on where you look and I can't speak for all of the Smash fandom at once...

I also should be clear: I think these are underrated characters and not, like, characters who I expect will happen. These are mostly characters who people often dismiss entirely due to their inter-company/franchise competition... I'm a big believer that characters with middling odds are worth discussing too as acting like everyone is either fully happening or a 0% will result in a lot of shocking upsets...

5. Kasumi: You know what's pretty great? Being the boxart character of a long-running fighting game franchise that helped define early eSports. That is pretty great. Kasumi's definitely not an industry icon or a must-have, but she strikes me as an important character from her genre of games with a notable impact on aspects of gaming history. Her corporate overlords also collab with Nintendo a lot... And, yes, I do think she can be censored to be for good boys and girls...

4. Monster Hunter: So, Monster Hunter has been huge in Japan for years and Monster Hunter World has finally began to give the IP international appeal. It has a long history on Nintendo hardware and a tonne of Nintendo collaborations. Moreover, it already has its foot in the door due to the base game including a bossfight, some music, and a small area on the World of Light map. So, I find it really how people don't discuss it more? Min Min has boosted support for a lot of characters and franchises that already had some base game content, but Capcom rep discussion hasn't really been shaken up... Well, this is what I get for taking all day to finish writing this post. So, yeah, Monster Hunter feels like a logical franchise to me, even as a non-fan.

3. Tifa Lockhart and Lara Croft: I'm doing a 2-for-1 here, as Square ended up owning two of the most iconic women in gaming and people just... don't discuss them that much because they're owned by Square? I'm not even sure what to say here... Tifa Lockhart is the JRPG heroine for a lot of people, would repesent the Monk class (an RPG archetype thus far not included in Smash), and could bring new content to make FF slightly more in line with other franchises. She's also super relevant right now, with FF7R released and FF7R-2 beginning development. Lara Croft, meanwhile, is another super iconic PS1-era heroine and a protagonist at that. She's traditionally had a western-heavy fanbase, but has been slowly overcoming that obstacle. She continues to get new games and remains in the popular conscious. I... don't have much else to say - she's friggin' Lara Croft. I have only played a couple hours of her games in total, but can't deny her legacy.

2. Sakura Shinguji: I feel like SEGA's localization practices kind of screwed up their long-term PR, as a lot of people will eternally insist that SEGA has Sonic and no other noteworthy IPs. Anyway, it's the usual song and dance (heh). It's a franchise with a large legacy and Nintendo presence (yes, including Nintendo presence in English; So Long, My Love was released for the Wii in English). It's taken some time off, but has been getting back on its feet and was doing so while this next round of DLC was being chosen. All in all, I think the stage could be set for this reveal. And if it happens, then you'll find me in a salt bunker hiding from the internet.

1. Farmer: I think Farmer kind of breaks speculation in a lot of ways. Here's a character from a long-running franchise with a tonne of Nintendo history that helped define a genre... but they're not discussed? I get that people think they overlap too much with Villager or that them being a non-fighter would pose a problem, but I do generally find it odd how so many things that are seen as making other characters likely just... doesn't impact Farmer's perception at all. A company having content in Smash with no playable character? New games that are doing better then the franchise ever has before? Games published by Nintendo and heavily advertised by them? Content in games where you can cosplay as Nintendo characters? A long history almost entirely on Nintendo consoles? Healthy franchising including a Nintendo Direct revealing a spin-off game's logo/title with no further info as the announcements are that hype for its audience? Yeah, Farmer kind of has it all. I'm not confidant in them getting into Smash Bros in the slightest, but I do think its generally overlooked.

I also do have Danganronpa rep hot takes, but I'll save that for another day in the coming weeks... or you can go to the support thread linked in my signature to see those there I guess...

Noms: Moogle x 10
Vote: Yes.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
1. Farmer: I think Farmer kind of breaks speculation in a lot of ways. Here's a character from a long-running franchise with a tonne of Nintendo history that helped define a genre... but they're not discussed? I get that people think they overlap too much with Villager or that them being a non-fighter would pose a problem, but I do generally find it odd how so many things that are seen as making other characters likely just... doesn't impact Farmer's perception at all. A company having content in Smash with no playable character? New games that are doing better then the franchise ever has before? Games published by Nintendo and heavily advertised by them? Content in games where you can cosplay as Nintendo characters? A long history almost entirely on Nintendo consoles? Healthy franchising including a Nintendo Direct revealing a spin-off game's logo/title with no further info as the announcements are that hype for its audience? Yeah, Farmer kind of has it all. I'm not confidant in them getting into Smash Bros in the slightest, but I do think its generally overlooked.

I also do have Danganronpa rep hot takes, but I'll save that for another day in the coming weeks... or you can go to the support thread linked in my signature to see those there I guess...

Noms: Moogle x 10
Vote: Yes.
I think the Farmer's lack of discussion is because it generally doesn't overlap with a platform fighter like Smash. More casual genres are generally overlooked by the Smash fandom, which is why not many people predicted characters like Isabelle and especially the Wii Fit Trainer.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm not going to do an overrated because better people than myself have gone over the significant characters and their particular chances. Thus I'll stick to underrated.

1) Arthur (Ghosts and Goblins) - A formerly popular Capcom franchise who's had a a series of games on the NES, SNES, & Game Boy Color/Advance. Not to mention that he's had fighting game appearances before which show the potential he has as a character. Were he owned by any company other than Capcom, he'd probably get more speculation.

2) Prince of Persia - Beyond the recent announcement of a remake, its a big Ubisoft series featuring some genuine history, including everything from the mid aughts trilogy. Even to a Japanese audience, at worst it would be a Banjo level inclusion most would still be familiar with.

3) Terra Branford - Given FFVI's enduring popularity and she's one of the Square protagonists most associated with the SNES (with even Sakurai throwing out her name as a possible FF character back in 2016) she would be a logical followup after getting in the mega star like Cloud.

4) Dr Eggman - One of the most famous video game villains of all time, featured in every Sonic related TV show, comic, and now a live action movie. As old as Sonic, someone Sega's never hesitated in featuring for marketing or promotion. and would be one of the most recognizable third party antagonists to have in Smash.

5) Nightmare (Soul Calibur) - SC's one of the few major fighting game franchises with no representation in Smash and while its recent popularity has taken a dip, its still viable for appearing, especially given that it would be repaying the favor of Link being in SC2 all those years ago.

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
OVER RATED

Honorable Mentions go to Shantae, Ray-Man, BWD, and Dixie Kong where the main argument for them is "they're popular and spirits don't deconfirm anymore." Good for them. If popularity by itself made a difference we would have had Geno in Smash 4. There are other factors at play than just popularity. Being popular is actually a pretty over rated reason for a character to get in. "But Banjo". Yeah, what about him? If Microsoft and Nintendo didn't start working together, his popularity wouldn't have mattered. I'm pretty they didn't start working together all because of the people wanting Banjo in Smash. It would be a cool story though. Let me ask you this. Who the **** was asking for Corrin? Nobody. Nintendo will put in who they want, popular or unpopular.

OK, enough with the side track.

5. Rex
This one is a little bit painful for me, but it's probably true. We're probably over rating Rex. Yes, it's a very good thing that Sakurai has stated Rex would have got in if there was more dev time. Rex is the character I'm most confident in saying will get in, I think I gave him a 75%. But tbh, I could easily see him not being added at all because he just got a Mii Costume. Not a great reason, sure. But if that's a reason we get for him not being added, there's nothing we can do about it. He's at 5 because I think he's still likely but not as likely as we probably think. Again, I wish this wasn't true, but it probably is.

4. Reimu
Reimu is very popular in Japan. And thats about it for her pros. Don't even start the Dragon Quest comparisons. Japan had to make a ****ing law about when Dragon Quest games could be released because when DQ3 came out everyone skipped work to play it. Dragon Quest is also owned by Square Enix, who has a long (sometimes rocky) history with Nintendo

She only takes #4 on my list because while I do find her over rated, it's not out of control yet. It might get to that point by the time Smash 6 rolls around, but we'll have to wait and see. The Reimu speculation isn't as dumb as the next 3 at least.

3. Ryu Hayabusa
Ryu was originally going to be my #1 most over rated, until I realized that unlike the next 2 spots, he actually still has a shot. What isn't good for Ryu is that a ton of his "credibility" came from fake FP1 leaks. Literally every single one had him. He's only still discussed because of that massive amount of spam making him a speculation front runner. But as previously said, at least he still has a chance.

2. Monster Hunter
What makes Monster Hunter over rated, you might ask. Well, the fact that people think Monster Hunter is under rated. No, I do not believe Min Min being playable changes things at all here. Min Min was a victim of being released around the same time as the base roster was locked. IIRC, Sakurai even said that ARMS would have been repped in the base game if this wasn't the case. The Hunter isn't at all the same. His chances were slim when Rathalos was revealed as a boss without him, and killed off when FP1 ended without him. Remember, FP2 wasn't planned until after FP1 was locked in. I seriously doubt Nintendo would negotiate for to get Rathalos as a boss, then go back and try to negotiate again for Monster Hunter. Logically, you would try to get both at the same time if you were going to have both present. We event got a seperate Monster Hunter - esque area in World of Light. What that tells me is that either Nintendo couldn't get the Hunter or didn't want him. We got quite a bit for it being a 3rd party franchise. So, unless there was some big reason why Monster Hunter couldn't be added earlier or there were some really convoluted with programming/negotiations, he's dead. Not 100% against the addition, but the amount of ****ery or strange, illogical crap that would have had to go on here for Monster Hunter to pop back up is pretty high, so
There's a tiny sliver of light, but it's so small that it might as well not exist. Still better than what #1 has though.

1. KOS-MOS
Why is this character still discussed for Smash? The creator of Xenosaga has stated in interviews that he thinks KOS-MOS isn't marketable and that the series as a whole underperformed in sales. That should be enough to shut down all discussion on this character, but for some reason it's not. Everyone else on this list at least as some reason to be speculated on. Even Monster Hunter's minuscule chances are kept alive by the fact that things might have gotten really ****y for him. KOS-MOS has no reason to still be here. Finally, let me quote DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire because in his post, he puts things fantastically
KOS-MOS: The ultimate definition of a bandwagon character and a character on life support, she's only been kept alive via crossover appearances and MonolithSoft shoehorning her into cosmic everything. Xenosaga was never on Nintendo systems, market surveys told that a Xenosaga remaster had little to no interest and profitability, and most of all, Nintendo would rather promote their OWN Xeno franchise. And when your competition is one of the most likely characters for Fighter's Pass 2 (Rex), things aren't looking good for you.
He took most of the words out of my mouth.

UNDER RATED

Under rated:
5: Lara Croft
So let me get this straight. Lara Croft is one of gamings earliest icons, probably the first female icon, still has games coming out to this day that do reasonably well, and is owned by one of Nintendo's buddies in Square Enix, and nobody(myself included) really ever thinks to bring her up for Smash discussion? WTF? The only reason she's low on my list is because she's shown up as under rated on other lists too.

4: Kiryu Kazuma
Another character owned by a friend of Nintendo, but this time it's SEGA. Everyone's so busy asking about who a 2nd Sonic rep could be that most people aren't paying attention to him. Yakuza is a decently popular series and shouldn't be overlooked. I'm guilty here too, I would have forgotten about him if I didn't see him on a few other lists.

3: Hollow Knight/Hornet
So yeah, I know that they get brought up a lot for an Indy rep. But how many of us actually think it's going to happen? Hollow Knight was one of if not the best selling E-Shop game for a little bit, so maybe Nintendo could look to "adopt" it as there own? IDK I'm tired and need to go to sleep, and my computer is starting to screw up with keys not responding properly. I went out of order typing this.

2:The Harvest Story of Seasonal Moons Farmer
Another one I found while combing through here trying to find more under rated picks. I'd guess that because The Farmer is from a game played by more casual gamers, that's why he/she's overlooked. I don't think there's too much of an issue with overlapping with Villager, I've seen gameplay and the 2 games aren't that similar.

1: LoL Rep
Ok here we go again. As I explained in both Gnar and Ahri's days, LoL does have a pretty decent shot. Tencent(AKA EA's Father) is one of the main reasons the Switch got into China in the first place. Tencent owns Riot Games who owns League of Legends. Unlike in North America where it's not as popular anymore, League of Legends is still extremely popular in China. Riot Games is also (finally) expanding out with more games related to LoL, such as Wild Rift (literally just a slightly altered LoL port for console and moble), Ruined King(Turn Based RPG I'm pretty sure), and Conv/rgence(Platformer, also not a typo), all of which have the chance to come to the Switch. Simple Math: New, Big Market + Popular Franchise = $$$$ in most cases. The biggest issue with all of this is the timing. Riot's cutting it close with FP2's lock in. If they missed the cut, they missed the cut. Simple as that.

Noms: Ezreal(League of Legends) x10
Vote: What are we voting on again? Yes

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Whew, today was a long day, had a test and then I studied for another test that's in a week, so this is the first moment in the day I can sit down and properly do a write-up for today. (That's also why I couldn't do noms and the fixed schedule earlier - sorry about that! I'll get on it right away, but in case you want to start editing your predictions in, it should probably be the Non-videogame Mii Costume one)

Now, I want to start by saying: wow, 500 days! That's a big milestone! It's amazing that the game took off so much, but I guess I shouldn't even be surprised. I joined the team because I liked it so much that I participated daily, and eventually when someone had to take over nominations I volunteered. But, anyway, I want to thank all of you, who participate day after day, and those of you who mostly observe, and those who just show up to rate a few characters; none of this happens without you. I know, super cheesy, but it's true. All of this dies out if people don't participate. But of course, I'd also like to thank the other side, the guys on the RTC team. TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom thank you for letting me be on the team, and Sari Sari and UtopianPoyzin UtopianPoyzin for your amazing contributions and ideas. This is all us, and it's something to be proud of. Finally, something a little bit less orthodox, but I'd like to thank the game itself. After that final Direct, I was super disheartened about Smash. Grinch was fake, so many characters I wanted got disconfirmed with one fell swoop, the last two characters were some of the worst additions to the series, and my least wanted character was seen as an inevitability and one of the likeliest DLC fighters. So I really wanted to ditch speculation, stop paying attention to Smash and maybe get the DLC if I really cared. But I didn't because I had an obligation to this thread; if I didn't count nominations every day, who would? So I stuck around, and I got to experience great times and know great people, both in this thread and on Smashboards, saw Joker shock the world, lived through the months of Brave, got to enjoy Banjo & Kazooie finally making it in alongside everyone, and now I look at the upcoming Pass with more hope than ever. None of that would've happened if I didn't have to keep coming back daily to check on this thread. For that, I'm super grateful.

And after that, it's time for the actual underrated/overrated. I wanted to make a big post because, well, it's a big day! Now it's time to burn all that goodwill by calling someone's most wanted overrated or whatever.

Overrated

5. Ryza
Look, I'm all for discussing the underdogs. But people really pick poor underdogs. Atelier is just a very poor candidate for Smash, it's an incredibly niche series, bordering on obscure, that has no real impact or influence to speak of. The only reason we're discussing her is because of the fake leak and the game's presence on the Japanese Partner Direct (nevermind that the sheer fact that they only featured the game in Japan speaks volumes about their belief on the IP's commercial prospects in the West). I do think she's kinda becoming a new KOS-MOS, in some regards.

4. 2B
This hurts because as everyone knows I have perfect taste in games, and therefore I know that NieR Automata is a masterpiece. But, yeah, any character whose creator hadn't met with Sakurai when the Pass was set in stone, didn't get in. That's just final. I think her continued discussion speaks less about her chances and more about how the right people in speculation just like her.

3. Gen 8 Pokemon

I get why people still think this is possible, but imo it's just pessimism (or optimism, in one case I can think of). I see little reason to make a Spirit Event for a game that's getting a fighter down the line, I see little reason in promoting Pokemon, I see a trio of starters without any standout design- or moveset-wise, and all I see in its defense is the notion that "Pokemon's an exception!". This one isn't higher because I was spouting the same thing for base roster and here I am, with that dumb wrestler cat mugging in my face.

2. Sakura Shinguji
Look, third party characters in Smash, by and large, have had some kind of historical merit to them. Some bigger than others, sure, Mr. JRPG has a better claim to fame than Mr. my games were also pretty successful in the 90s even if nobody could afford the Neo Geo. But still, our only big exception is "almost owned by Nintendo" Bayonetta. What's Sakura Wars' impact in the gaming industry? None of the games sold gangbusters, due to few localizations. The games aren't known as milestone titles in their genre, didn't set standards that others would later follow, they aren't on any Best Of lists. I know SharkLord's typing right now that the series has spawned plenty of anime and manga and whatnot, but having a big media franchise in Japan doesn't impress me; we're talking about the guys that spawned some of the biggest anime ever out of glorified Tamagotchi and hentai VNs. Honestly, I can't see myself buying into a franchise's merits when they only exist in Japan; Japan's such a small part of the world and the gaming audience, a game that only appeals to them is, by definition, niche.

1. Doomguy
The devs said he isn't in, for Christ's sake. Can people start acknowledging that a bit?

And now for the underrated

5. Konami reps
I know, I know, Konami sucks. Yeah, they do! But their sucking led to the existence of Death Stranding, which is great, and also, they still got characters that could be put in Smash! Contra's massive and still getting games to this day, Frogger's a legend, Bomberman is a candidate that always gets ignored when discussing AT promotions, there's a treasure trove of characters here that could easily blindside us.

4. Literally any Square Enix rep that isn't one of the usual (Adam Jensen, Agnes, Randi, Crono, Bub & Bob)
I get that Geno and Sora alone suck the air out of any room, and whatever remains has to be split up between Lara, 2B and Neku (and hey, congrats to all the Neku fans for ever getting him so much in the conversation). But let's not forget that there's other contenders. Chrono Trigger alone deserves at least a similar amount of discussion, considering Crono's pretty much "Geno, only the main character of his game and also his game is one of the best of all time". Toriyama's already involved, and he can bring a kick-ass moveset with those dual moves (Techs? I forget the name, it's 1AM). Then you have Adam Jensen, admittedly an acquisition and a Western character, but also from one of the most acclaimed and influential PC franchises ever, Deus Ex, which I might add has Nintendo presence. He has the moveset, he's iconic, and he's a good bridge between the crowd that wants a Nintendo focus and the crowd that wants a PC centric character like Gordon Freeman. And remember, Bubble Bobble's a classic and Bub & Bob can also represent Taito's legacy. There's so much more to discuss here, I didn't touch on Agnes because we rated her recently, but Square Enix has tons of classic games that could get the nod as well like Secret of Mana and Romancing SaGa.

3. Ezio
This was originally gonna be a shared spot with the Prince of Persia but 1. I get why he didn't get more discussion, it was more wishful thinking and 2. That might change now that they announced a remake (YESSSS). Anyway, when you have one of the most iconic characters of all time, from one of the most successful and influential franchises, and we get a Mii Costume from said franchise that's conspicuously not him, well, let's just say I wouldn't be looking at Rayman. Honorable mention goes to Sam Fisher, who should also be getting much more consideration than he is.

2. Demi-fiend/Flynn/Anyone from Shin Megami Tensei
Why is it that every time a new game gets announced for the Switch a character from it becomes the talk of the town, but we get a double whammy SMT announcement and talk dies out so quick? Travis gets 2 games on Switch and becomes a frontrunner, Bravely Default gets one and becomes a safe bet, 2B gets zero and becomes the talk of the town, and SMT gets nothing! Thankfully we're rating this soon, can't wait.

1. Farmer/Pete/Jack/The dude from Story of Seasons
You don't have to look at niche JRPG franchises that are only successes when related to budget to find a darkhorse we're overlooking; Story of Seasons is right here. It's got history. It's Nintendo focused. It's family friendly. It's successful. It's influential. It's still getting games. I'm no brain surgeon, but even if SoS doesn't get a fighter, the fact that there's a franchise that fulfills all the requisites that speculation is looking for and it doesn't get any discussion, well if that isn't evidence of tunnel vision I don't know what is.

0. Non-promotional first party characters and third party characters from existing franchises
You knew this had to come up at some point, right? It's me we're talking about. It's at number 0 because it's so broad it's cheating, so I won't go in-depth. I'll just say, there's no reason not to have one of these characters, they can be just as hype and sell just as well as any other, if not more. And I can think of few franchises where there isn't enough content to make another pass that isn't redundant (especially with third parties, most of those are represented like crap).

Anyway, I guess I gotta find someone new to nom, huh? Well then, let's give those 10 to Jason & SOPHIA for now.

My prediction is 2.84%

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't know what secrecy you're referring to, every time we've done this it's been on the thread title and everything.
The fixed schedule and everything teased that day 500 would be something special, with the topic only being revealed when the day started, that's keeping it a secret which makes absolutely no sense if this topic isn't new

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
So I saw this theme in my watch list and was excited to jump back in here, pore through the rating history and try to find interesting outliers in either direction. Unfortunately it looks like the list on the first page is pretty out of date (last edited July 10th), so I can't rightly use that as a metric for over/underrated. Still an interesting enough topic, so I'll just go with my gut and try to stay as impartial as I can. Lists are in no particular order since, again, hard to say how over/underrated some of these characters really are.

Underrated

Isaac
- May as well start with my obvious bias, right? While most people don't seem to hold Assist Trophy status against Waluigi these days, I feel like Isaac has been largely forgotten among the wider community. I'm not going to litigate here whether Camelot has actually been working on a new Golden Sun release, but even if that's not a thing, I think Isaac remains one of the few ATs that has a very serious chance of being promoted given the second chance that is Fighters Pass 2. Min Min's implementation eliminated any doubts of mine over whether ATs can be considered and how they would handle existing content from the base game, so I have to believe Isaac is back to being as viable a choice as he seemed before his eventual AT reveal. That doesn't necessarily mean I think he's likely (I'd give him a very respectable 25%), but I think he should at minimum be discussed in any serious speculation.

Master Chief - I think the hardest thing about FP2 speculation right now is we have precious little idea which direction Sakurai and crew went with their choices. To that end, for a character to be "likely" right now, I think it has to be a slam dunk choice, and right now I think there is at least one: Master Chief. We already know Microsoft and Nintendo worked together for B&K, and if there was any discussion of adding a second character, Chief is the obvious choice, more so then Minecraft I'd argue. We also know thanks to Snake and Bayonetta that guns and characters from M-rated franchises are allowable in special circumstances. Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic putting him as "underrated," given he's certainly in the conversation, but if he's not rivaling Crash for top honors (and I don't believe he is), then I think we're missing the elephant in the room.

Ratchet & Clank - For a character to be underrated, I'd think they both need an obvious reason to be passed over, but an equally obvious reason why they might be considered anyway. Isaac is already an AT, but he's also a longtime request with his franchise possibly returning soon. Master Chief might be passed over for Minecraft when liscensing a second Microsoft character, but he's still a gaming icon and the de facto Xbox mascot. I think Ratchet & Clank fit into this paradigm well: they're easily overlooked for Crash when looking for characters emblematic of the Playstation, but where Crash has become a very multiplatform franchise, R&C is still a Sony exclusive that is now being used to sell the PlayStation 5. Further, they have obvious Smash potential, and they're popular enough that Sony even made a movie for them (which I did see, and it is sadly very mediocre). This would require Sony to play nice, of course, but I think they're a strong enough choice that they're worth being on our collective radar.

League of Legends Character - Honestly, I hadn't even considered this possibility before reading some of the recent posts here for inspiration, and now I'm wondering how I overlooked something so obvious. After all, I'm a very invested fan of the game, having spent thousands of hours and entirely too much money between both the game and the greater LoL eSports scene. More importantly, the game has very wide popularity, including substantial competitive scenes in regions all over the world, including North America, Europe, South Korea, China, Russia, Brazil, Vietnam, and, of course, Japan. Add in that Riot has been aggressively expanding the greater franchise of late with more games, music, comics, and even an upcoming TV show, and it's easy to see how "Smash character" would be one avenue that, if Sakurai hadn't considered, then I'm certainly willing to believe Riot would try contacting Nintendo for. If this concept hasn't been getting attention in the Smash community, then we really ought to start taking a closer look, because I could very easily see this happening.

Paper Mario - Okay, I don't really think this is a strong possibility, but "underrated" certainly doesn't mean "likely," and in terms of potential surprises for DLC, I think a character that could be easily written off like Paper Mario fits the bill. The series did just have a celebrated new release in Origami King, and while it might seem odd to have a character release months after their most recent game, Byleth is a good reminder that Smash DLC has never really been timed for promotional purposes. We can't pretend Paper Mario wouldn't have a very unique moveset compared to base Mario, nor that there wouldn't be plenty of options for stage, music, and spirits. Granted, I do think Geno is the much more likely Mario RPG character at this moment, but I could see a world where Paper Mario is the actual DLC and Geno's Mii Fighter costume returns at the same time. It'd be a cruel move for Geno fans, but one I think at least worth considering as a possibility.

Overrated

Reimu
- Honestly, I just don't get it. I've known Touhou is a thing for ages (thanks in large part to MUGEN), but I would have never guessed that it was a franchise with enough reach to source a fan-favorite choice for Smash DLC. I didn't even know the name "Reimu" before Ultimate speculation, and while I don't know the details, I get the impression her reach is in large part due to leaks. Maybe I'm just really out of the loop, but I like to think I have a decent awareness of the larger video game scene, and if I'm this clueless about why a character/franchise would be even considered for Smash, I'm willing to bet it's because they wouldn't be.

Monokuma/Danganronpa Character - This feels kind of like a Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton situation: great mystery/puzzle series gets attention in the speculation scene because they're great games, not because they necessarily make sense for Smash. That's not to say Monokuma in particular couldn't work (I'd imagine you could easily make a trap/zoning move set for him), but even if he was somehow in the conversation, I'm not sure why he'd get in while a character like Wright or Layton wouldn't. They're his most direct competition, and they both have longer histories with Nintendo, were substantial Smash requests since at least SSB4, and are arguably just more popular in general. Maybe the series gets spirits or a Mii Fighter costume, but a playable character feels like a near-zero chance.

Steve/Minecraft - Okay, I'm probably projecting a bit here, but I really don't think this is happening. Minecraft is stupidly popular, sure, and I do think the continued absence from Smash, even as a spirit, is a bit perplexing. However, stupidly popular is clearly not the only metric for Smash selection, and I'm willing to bet if we're getting any Microsoft character, it's Master Chief. I do think a Minecraft Mii Fighter costume (maybe even costumes?) would be a great choice, but I think that'll be all we see, if anything.

Galar Pokemon - We're in uncharted territory right now for Smash DLC, so I could be completely off-base on this very specific idea. That being said, I can't imagine one of the FP2 characters being a Pokemon. I thought the spirits from last year made that pretty obvious, especially given FP2's characters should have been decided by that point, yet I'm hearing names like Urshifu and Rillaboom being thrown around like they're at all likely. I know Smash has a very strong history with adding playable Pokemon, and I think we're all expecting at least one more Nintendo character, but I just don't see this being the direction they took.

BotW Character - Okay, so this is based on very new information, but I can already see this idea being overrated. It is honestly a bit refreshing to see Nintendo really lean into a specific Zelda setting, and I do believe this greatly raises the chance of a breakout character finally making the jump to Smash after not getting a new character since Brawl. Greatly raised chance does not necessarily mean likely, though, just as the strong possibility of a new Golden Sun doesn't magically make Isaac likely. It just makes it a solid contender, one that maybe Nintendo could lean into with another BotW stage, more music, more spirits, and so on. Please, Sakurai, prove me wrong!

Honorable Mentions for Reasonable Speculation
Crash and Geno
- From what I've seen, these two are the kings of FP2 speculation, and I think that designation is well deserved. Not to say I think either is a lock, but Crash feels like perhaps the single most obvious choice for a third party character at this time, while the continued absence of Geno's Mii Fighter costume from SSB4 remains an incredibly conspicuous omission given how popular a request he is. Curious to see if we're right, and even more curious to see what happens if we're off the mark.

No nominations or vote since I haven't been a regular of the thread for a long time. Just wanted the excuse to really think about FP2 options again after isolating in the Isaac thread for so long!

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Lemme give this a try: (Sorry if there's not much.)

Overrated
5. Waluigi - I already know about the controversy with the Assist Trophy and harnessing Sakurai over it which is not okay. and yes, Assist Trophies have been turned into fighters but not in the same game which makes Wah pretty unlikely.

4. Gen 8 rep - Most people pick the soccer rabbit furry, the big funny gorilla or the punk rocker lizard. You know, the whole shill thing?

3. Doomguy - I've seen him on too many fighter passes that fans make up, and he's already deconfirmed.

2. Dante - Many expected him to be FP5 cause of the release date thing back in January.

1. Geno - Do not get me started on too many fake leaks having him as well that one obsessive cult.

Underrated
5. A first party character - Dixie Kong, Bandanan Dee, a Zelda rep, a rep other than Mario, Pokemon or Fire Emblem. Most say that they wouldn't sell very well and bit boring.

4. Dr. Eggman - He's a pretty iconic famous villain of Sega and I don't see him that often. (I think he would be pretty awesome for Smash.)

3. Quote - He's the freaking grand daddy of Indie games and people forget about him and go with Shantae and Shovel Knight instead.

2. Dark Souls rep - Lloyd is pretty much the most requested of Namco reps and I don't see talk of Dark Souls which was pretty popular back in 2011.

1. Lara Croft - She's so iconic and famous, I don't know why fans do not talk about her often. I see mentions of overrated wooden puppet (Geno), anime key boy (Sora), big booty android (2B) and moody headphones teenager (Neku) but not her...

Noms
Killer Instinct rep 4x

amageish

Smash Master
I think the Farmer's lack of discussion is because it generally doesn't overlap with a platform fighter like Smash. More casual genres are generally overlooked by the Smash fandom, which is why not many people predicted characters like Isabelle and especially the Wii Fit Trainer.
Yeah... I think there also are some half-decent Farmer counter-arguments (ex/ there isn't much evidence to suggest the target audience of SoS would overlap with who Nintendo is seemingly targeting with their DLC approach), but I find a lot of it comes from ignorance. People think they're in direct competition with Travis Touchdown, even though Travis is owned by Grasshopper and only published by Marvelous... People think the Harvest Moon vs Story of Seasons copyright debacle would prevent it from happening, when Marvelous owns all the music, characters, graphics, and literally everything expect for the original English translations and the name "Harvest Moon."

I don't even think Farmer is that likely, but the fact they do many likely-sounding things will being dismissed as impossible is something that annoys to me to no end sometimes...

Edit:

Monokuma/Danganronpa Character - This feels kind of like a Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton situation: great mystery/puzzle series gets attention in the speculation scene because they're great games, not because they necessarily make sense for Smash. That's not to say Monokuma in particular couldn't work (I'd imagine you could easily make a trap/zoning move set for him), but even if he was somehow in the conversation, I'm not sure why he'd get in while a character like Wright or Layton wouldn't. They're his most direct competition, and they both have longer histories with Nintendo, were substantial Smash requests since at least SSB4, and are arguably just more popular in general. Maybe the series gets spirits or a Mii Fighter costume, but a playable character feels like a near-zero chance.
I get thinking Monokuma is overrated and I do think that DR would require some very hyperspecific circumstances where they decide to rep horror games, Spike Chunsoft, and mystery games all at once... But how TF is generic "Danganonpa Character" outside of Monokuma overrated? I have encountered, like, a dozen non-Monokuma DR rep supporters in total - and that is including people I find in Danganronpa fan communities. I'm not convinced they're rated often enough to become overrated...

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
We just wanted to make day 500 a surprise...
I just find it very confusing to make it a surprise if it's not new then like idk, 50 noms day or some **** to get new ideas suggested without needing to worry about the purge. Speaking of the purge, has it already happened now or would people need to wait for tomorrow for new suggestions?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Alright, first time I've done this in a while, I'm super rusty, but I got my old template, so let's go!

I'm taking TCT's like of my post where I said the purge is tomorrow as ratification, so you have one more day to get your noms in. That's one whole day, 10 noms, so use them wisely! Now, without further ado...

THESE CHARACTERS ARE LOCKED DOWN, NOMINATIONS FOR THEM ARE OBSOLETE

Day 501: Concept: A non-videogame character gets a Mii Costume
Day 502: Concept: A non-white/Asian human character
Day 503: Tidus (Final Fantasy)
Day 504: Nate Adams (Yo-kai Watch)
Day 505: Ezio (Assassin's Creed)
Day 506: Shuichi Saihara (Danganronpa)
Day 507: Concept: Shin Megami Tensei rep

We had a last minute shakeup, Concept: Shin Megami Tensei rep got a whopping 30 noms in the last day, and so poor Moogle barely missed out on a spot.

Your new top seven consists of Moogle, Prince of All Cosmos, Content from currently unreleased game, Monster Hunter, Klonoa, Alex Mason, and Frisk.

Moogle x195
[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x180
Concept: Content from currently unreleased game (not Spirit Events) (as of May 17th 2020) x175
[Rerate] Monster Hunter x175
Klonoa x170
Alex Mason x150
[Rerate] Frisk x150

150 - 101

Echo: Xion (Sora) x148
Sakura Shinguji x147
Concept: Deltarune content x141
The Stretchers x130
Concept: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content x121
D.Va x115
Red (Angry Birds) x115
Proto Man x115
Zelda (BotW universe) x110
Billy Hatcher x110
Amiya (Arknights) x110

100 - 51

Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors) x95
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x80
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Riptor x80
Hades (Kid Icarus) x80
Fulgore x79
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Concept: Second F-Zero rep x74
Boss: Ender Dragon x73
[Rerate] Concept: Boss Rush x70
Mii Costume: Jill Stingray x69
Echo: Dark Bowser (Bowser) x67
The Terrarian x65
Concept: Rocket League rep x65
Concept: A Microsoft rep that isn't Steve or Master Chief x65
Austin the Butler (Gardenscapes) x65
Giygas x60
Jason Frudnick & SOPHIA x60
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) x60
Stage: Bowser's Castle x56
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x55
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x55
Concept: Fortnite character x55
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
Echo (Olimar) x51

50 - 25

Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x50
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x50
Dr. Goomba Tower x50
Magolor x50
John Marston x50
Jin Sakai x50
[Rerate] Monokuma x50
Echo: Lord Fredrik (King K. Rool) x50
Ghirahim x50
Boss: Rayquaza x50
The Bard (Wandersong) x50
Concept: Returning stages x35
Yoshimitsu x35
Concept: Fighter Pass Volume 2 is half Nintendo and half third party x30
Urbosa x30
Tetra x30
Concept: Assist Trophies added in updates x27
Rival Pokémon Trainer x25
Concept: Dark Souls rep x25
[Rerate] Maxwell x25
Lora and Jin x25
Zero (Mega Man) x25

Under 25

Black Shadow x20
Concept: Fighter Pass 2 gets delayed x20
Demi-fiend x20
Chell x18
Zeraora x15
Wolf Link x15
Concept: FP2 character comes with an Echo Fighter x15
Cynthia x15
Tomoya Okazaki (Clannad) x15
[Rerate] Thrall x15
Taranza x11
Gran/Djeeta x10
Otto Matic x10
The Avatar (Ultima) x10
Concept: Bravely Default rep x10
Medusa (Kid Icarus) x10
Concept: Rhythm Heaven rep x10
Mii Costume: Jacket x7
Concept: Darkstalkers rep x6
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Mii Costume: Hat Kid x5
Concept: Portal 2 rep x5
Breath of the Wild 2 Ganondorf x5
Tick (Brawl Stars) x5
King Graham x5
Cooking Mama x5
Jill (Drill Dozer) x5
Asuka (Senran Kagura) x5
Furret x5
Deku Scrub x5
Mii Costume: Edward Falcon x5
Concept: A LABO character x5
Concept: Bonus character x5
Concept: No AT promotions x5
[Rerate] Morrigan Aensland x5
[Rerate] Cadence x5
Octoling x5
Kazuya Mishima x5
Excitebiker x5
Gil (Babylonian Castle Saga/The Tower of Druaga) x5
Young Wizard (Wizard101) x5
Concept: Tetris 99 stage x5
Concept: More individual stage DLC x5
Mii Costume: Gen 1 Pokémon x5
Don-chan x5
Concept: Rocket League content x5
Concept: Arc System Works rep x5
Concept: Generic Zora x3
Three Mage Sisters x2
Concept: A Pokémon Trainer who fights x2
Concept: A fighter who uses all kicks x2
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x2
Concept: Generic Goron x2
Kass x1

Amiya crosses 100 noms.

Vi crawls past 50 noms. Neptune and Echo: Olimar also make it past 50 noms, whereas Boss: Rayquaza and The Bard make it to 50; all four are now spared from the purge.

Tetra and Zero make it out of the under 25 club.

Despite yesterday maybe not being the best day to introduce new characters to the list, we have two new challengers! Tomoya Okazaki, and a rerate of Thrall, both with 15 noms.

Tagging DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 and Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen , this should clarify any doubts about the purge. fogbadge fogbadge you might also want to edit your noms, Nate's already in.

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I get thinking Monokuma is overrated and I do think that DR would require some very hyperspecific circumstances where they decide to rep horror games, Spike Chunsoft, and mystery games all at once... But how TF is generic "Danganonpa Character" outside of Monokuma overrated? I have encountered, like, a dozen non-Monokuma DR rep supporters in total - and that is including people I find in Danganronpa fan communities. I'm not convinced they're rated often enough to become overrated...
I mostly included "Danganronpa Character" as a precaution, as I've only played the first game so far (an oversight I intend to fix eventually) and have heard Junko in particular get mentioned. Realistically, yeah, I thinking of the Monokuma supporters, as I've been surprised to see people bring it up as anything other than a fringe candidate. Cool series, but even a Monokuma Mii Fighter costume would be very surprising IMO.

Out of a roster that big, who stands out as iconic?
My guess would be Crystal Maiden Teemo, but I don't see him fitting in Smash that well. Maybe as an assist trophy.
That is the hard part, isn't it? There are just so many popular/famous characters that could be considered, such Lux, Ezreal, Ahri, Lee Sin, Jinx, Teemo, Annie, and Thresh. I do think the most obvious pick right now would be Ekko, given Riot is really pushing him with efforts like True Damage and the upcoming game Conv/rgence, not to mention his skillset should translate well to Smash, but he's still one choice out of many. Ultimately, if it actually happened, I'd imagine it would be like an ARMS situation: start with "we want a character from X", and then ask the developers themselves who they think is the best choice.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Junko would be included with Monokuma.

Also ironic that we're talking about DR chars being underrated when Shuichi is on the ratings list lmao.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Mmm, I'm assuming we're talking about overrated/underrated with this thread as a benchmark, so I am basing my takes on what I'm seeing on the first posts when it comes to chance rankings.
I will say that in general this is rather difficult. While I overall think people overrate everything, particularly things they like, the general placement of characters is not too disagreeable. Outside of obvious nitpicks, it's a bit of a struggle to compile this list. Thinking outside of this thread I was already picturing having something like Geno, but... his placement actually looks reasonable to me.
Anyway, on with it.

Overrated
5. Tracer
I love OW, more or less main Tracer, and definitely find this a possible character. That said, I was struggling thinking of a fifth character for this list and she's the one who doesn't seem to reasonably fit where she is.
For the record, I came in wondering why so many people were saying LoL was underrated. Then I saw Ahri as number 38 and talk about LOL. Cannot argue with that, and the main reason why is because Tracer from OW is above and I just do not think we're more likely to get OW (which is competing with Crash of all things) than LoL.

4. Phoenix Wright
This is another character I love, and if we were talking want I would not object for a second. But number 7 in chance and top position for a Capcom character? I cannot reasonably see Naruhodo-kun as the top dog for likely Capcom representation in a universe where Resident Evil and Devil May Cry both exist without playable characters.

3. Dixie Kong
To continue the trend of characters I like but find extremely unlikely... Dixie is another I find out of position for chance. Call it pessimism, but with the information we have I have no reason to expect her to be as likely as the thread seems to think she is. In huge part because K. Rool was just added in this game, and getting a second unique rep that is purchasable DLC is something I deem extremely unlikely for the DK franchise. Mario can pull it off due to being Mario, and Zelda can pull it off due to not getting a new rep since Toon Link... but DK? No way.
As an aside, if we do get info on echo fighters being possible I think her chances will shoot up dramatically. I get that it's taboo to want Dixie as an echo because of her being unique due to the ponytail, but much like both FE and Metroid got a new character AND an echo, I think that's as much as we can expect for Ultimate.

2. Pokemon Rep
While a pokemon rep is possible, even likely, I think people are overestimating the likelihood of another unique pokemon character. This franchise in particular saw 3 pokemon brought back from the grave (Pichu, Squirtle and Ivy) and the addition of a new playable character (lucha tigre). I don't see why there should be any urgency or need to add another pokemon from any gen for any reason.
Yea, it could happen, but I just no longer see it as likely to be the case as several other scenarios (Like Zelda and Xenoblade getting a character, and even another Mario character)

1. Master Hand
Playable Master Hand was in the top 20? I'm guessing this was from before the base game released, otherwise it makes no sense. It's already playable for one specific moment, and it'd be a Master Middle Finger to ask people to pay money to actually play as the character and get Smash songs and another stage. (Lol, especially since they JUST added a new Smash stage in Small Battlefield)

Underrated

5. Rayman/Ubisoft
For context, we are considering Rayman to be slightly more likely than the likes of Lycanroc and less likely than the Harvest Moon farmer. Like, not to diss on those two and others in their range, but come ON. Rayman should at least be around the same level as Ezio, and heck, both should be higher given Ubisoft has collaborated with Nintendo to such an extensive degree.

4. Lara Croft
In general I find that she is overrated in these forums... but to my surprise she's lower in chance than 2B, most notable, and rather low for someone of her stature. I don't care much for this character outside of "ok I guess", but the rating she currently has for chance definitely deserves higher

3. Second Sonic character
I'm actually baffled I don't even see anyone from Sonic in the top 70. Tails and Robotnik are both such well-known and deserving characters and it bothers me we seem to have considered pretty much everyone and yet these don't even break into the list. The Tails erasure in general is criminal.

2. Unsung First Parties: Kid Icarus: Uprising/Splatoon
This is my reach pick. Hear me out on this one.
We have tons of first party characters in the list, including the likes of Porky and various Rhythm Heaven characters. And yea, that's all fine. BUT, these are two properties we haven't really talked about much that I think deserve more awareness
Kid Icarus I think is more unlikely, but I wouldn't overlook the possibility that as the Wii U titles to remake decrease, a 3DS game like KI:U starts looking like real fine promise for a Switch remake. Sure, Sakurai is busy with Smash but no problem, you only need to port the game to a modern console (this can be outsourced.) And what this grants Sakurai is the chance to acknowledge one of his greatest creations and one of the best villains in Nintendo history: HADES! Well, or Viridi or Medusa or Pandora... w.e., they're all good.
More realistically though, Splatoon is by far one of the titans of Nintendo post Wii U and it's almost off to me that for the most part all that Smash has is related to Splatoon 1. A second character, an octoling most likely, to add weapons and mechanics from Splatoon 2 with something like a Salmon Run stage, would be a great nod to a constantly lasting property that may even be seeing development go into yet another sequel.

1. Waluigi/Isaac/Bomberman/Zero, etc.
I'm grouping these because I think all are victims to that one thing I dislike the most in speculation: fan rules.
I am super, super tired of the spirit and AT promotion rules people get stuck on. Instead of thinking properly of what characters and properties can expand the game and work as reasonable DLC, people get so attached to these rules that it almost feels like they miss the forest for the trees.
It's especially tiring considering Spring Man was not shot down for being an AT, but for Min Min being a preferred choice due to completely unrelated reasons. This should be enough to convince anyone that whether a character is an AT or a Spirit or w.e. does NOT matter if the devs want to make it happen.
Look at the characters for who they are and what they can bring, not for whether they were made an assist trophy 3-5 years ago long before anyone knew we would be in the second DLC fighters pass.

Honorable mention: not adding her here, but I think Ring Fit is likely to see content. Just not as DLC... I imagine this more likely to happen in another Smash game down the line, perhaps as a modernization of Wii Fit trainer or an addition to her series and rebranding it as the "Fit" series.
Likewise, I thought a lot about what Animal Crossing's success this year means for Smash (and how little we talk about it)... and I don't believe we'll see the results of that in this pass. Maybe later we see the results of that... "Raymond... boxes in!" anyone?

amageish

Smash Master
Likewise, I thought a lot about what Animal Crossing's success this year means for Smash (and how little we talk about it)... and I don't believe we'll see the results of that in this pass. Maybe later we see the results of that... "Raymond... boxes in!" anyone?
I've definitely mused on the idea of an "Animal Villager" character which is 4 Cats and 4 Dogs repping all 8 personality types before, including Raymond for max meme/casual-appeal... New Horizons did have a spirit event and I'm not expecting it this game; however, I do think a generic NPC villager character could be a neat semi-clone (or maybe Echo?) if they wanted to take the early-FE-reps approach of Animal Crossing characters being variations on the same core idea before going more unique with KK or someone...

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
I tried to be objective on this one. There are characters I liked that I think are overrated, and some underrated too.

Overrated

• Waluigi/Bandana Waddle Dee/Dixie/Porky
    • Despite me wanting Waluigi, I believe he is overrated, and so are the nth character of already represented IP. It's not the fault of a fan-made rule saying AT can't be promoted (may that rule die forever with FP7 please), but because they have not enough content to make a full pass in my opinion. Do note that I didn't include a Xenoblade rep or a Pokémon rep since both could be used to promote another game (XC2/XCX or SwSh). As for a Zelda rep, I'm not sure.
  • Shantae
    • Despite me also wanting Shantae, I don't see her happening in this pass, she is not that important. Her fanbase is very active but also slightly delusionnal, like is the fanbase of...
  • Geno
    • Same thing as Shantae, except I am not a supporter. Geno is really high only in american online communities. He is somewhat know in Japan and nearly inexistant in Europe. I agree that he is a consistent and long term request, but that's only coming from a fraction of the Smash gamers, the fraction you see everyday in Smashboards, Gamefaqs and Reddit: the english-speaking hardcore fans.
  • Master Chief
    • He is the face of Microsoft and Microsoft may have more to share in Smash, but he is nowhere to be a reknown icon in Japan, and that hurts him a lot. I strongly believe in the chance of Steve instead.
  • Dante
    • Dante has gain traction recently, but Capcom has other strong characters, mainly Phoenix Wright and Amaterasu. I personally believe in Phoenix Wright chance, thanks to his history with Nintendo, making Dante obviously lose the Capcom slot.

Underrated

• Isaac
    • Despite what some people are saying, Isaac is one of those historical characters that are yet to get in. He was alongside K Rool, Ridley and Banjo as long-term supported characters, but these 3 characters got in and not him? And despite his big wins in polls over the year, he should be overrated now? That's nonsense. And I don't even take into account the clues leading to the resurgence of Golden Sun soon.
  • Rayman
    • Rayman is not really known in Japan, but it's not as horrible as Master Chief. Ubisoft has yet to get a rep, despite being in good terms with Nintendo.
  • League of Legend
    • One of those games that will leave a trace in the history of video games. LOL is big. For that alone, I think it can happen, and we don't talk about it enough. On a similar note, Fortnite could be in the same position but it is way younger, I don't really expect it.
  • Lara Croft
    • I don't see her a lot in the polls of wanted characters, but she is an icon, and owned by SquareEnix nowadays. If SE is in for another character, it's 2B or her, but if 2B is often mentionned in discussion, that's not the case of Lara. I don't even care for her, and I'm not sure she could be that original alongside the current cast, but anyway.
  • Yo-kai watch
    • I had a hard-time finding a 5th character for that list but, once I saw someone mention Yo-kai Watch, it was an evidence. Yo-kai Watch has some success, is japanese, and from Level-5 that doesn't have a character yet. Yes, Yo-kai Watch is facing Layton for a potential Level-5 rep, and would probably lose to him, but this list is the underrated characters, and it is often not even discussed despite having some things for it.

Hard-to-be rated

I wanted to mentionned a few characters that are rarely mentioned but for good reasons.
  • Blizzard rep (other than Tracer)
    • Blizzard is a big company with a lot of strong IP, but could they get into Smash? Honestly, I don't think it will happen, but still, they are big names. It's hard to tell if they will get in.
  • Sony rep
    • If Nintendo asked them, would Sony let them use Ratchet or Kratos? That's not easy to say. Like Blizzard, they are not often seen as feasible characters.

From what I've seen it's mostly due to it having content in base game, but I don't think that does much to it if ARMS is anything to go by.
Monster Hunter is slept on because Sakurai explicitly said the MH developpers asked Sakurai to add a monster, and not a monster hunter. They may have change their mind since, but for now I'll count them out.

I am super, super tired of the spirit and AT promotion rules people get stuck on. Instead of thinking properly of what characters and properties can expand the game and work as reasonable DLC, people get so attached to these rules that it almost feels like they miss the forest for the trees.
It's especially tiring considering Spring Man was not shot down for being an AT, but for Min Min being a preferred choice due to completely unrelated reasons. This should be enough to convince anyone that whether a character is an AT or a Spirit or w.e. does NOT matter if the devs want to make it happen.
Look at the characters for who they are and what they can bring, not for whether they were made an assist trophy 3-5 years ago long before anyone knew we would be in the second DLC fighters pass.
Amen.

Noms: Ratchet & Clank

Last edited:

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
Monster Hunter is slept on because Sakurai explicitly said the MH developpers asked Sakurai to add a monster, and not a monster hunter. They may have change their mind since, but for now I'll count them out.
Do you have a source on that? I have heard it before but only as hearsay.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Aight here are 3 potentially underrated picks, I considered adding others here but I felt like they were discussed too frequently to be underrated

Adol Christin/Estelle Bright.

I'm starting off small here, Ys is a pretty niche franchise that's been around since 1987 and still getting new games with Ys 9 on the way next year. The biggest reason why I think Adol is underrated is because Falcom has a surprising amount of influence on the industry as seen with how they pioneered action RPGs with Dragon Slayer back in 1984, influencing Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and Zelda. Sakurai's clearly happy with more influential franchises in Smash and I fail to see why Falcom's most iconic character would be an exception, though Adol would be a rather basic character going off of the 2 games I've actually played, the originals. Alternatively this can all apply to Estelle Bright, who despite being from a smaller and younger franchise, still has a lot of popularity among Falcom fans and has less work needed to make her stand out from the current cast.

Saber.

Fate is ****ing huge. What started as a small visual novel quickly branched out to more game genres and anime to the point the franchise has made more money than ZELDA. Despite how huge Fate is, people seem to dismiss Saber a lot due to the anime being more wellknown, which literally doesn't matter or how it used to have sex scenes in the first release of the original VN and removing them from rerelease as if Nintendo would be against it as Nintendo advertised Bayonetta 2 by getting porn stars in Bayonetta cosplay

Reimu.

Reimu's starting to get more commonly discussed over time but despite arguably being the pioneer of indie games and being the face of the bullet hell genre, a lot of people seem to dismiss her for some reason, be it a lack of interest or misinformation. Touhou's not only still going to this day but it's reached the point where I can just walk into my local GameStop equivelant and grab physical copies of Touhou games from the shelves. There's also how Touhou became a lot more wellknown due to the memes 10 years ago with all the music, so I genuinely don't understand how people act like it's this incredibly tiny franchise with no legacy and no presence outside Japan

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna follow the wise words of my ancestors and not do overrated characters.

Underrated:

5. Monster Hunter
Alright, look. While I haven't even brought up Monster Hunter before, I think it's worth a shot. Japanese popularity? Check. Nintendo history? Check. Cool moveset concept(s)? Check. People ignore Monster Hunter because Dante and Phoenix Wright, but I think we should look somewhere else in Capcom, namely, the Monster Hunter.

...Roll credits.

4. Chosen Undead
Dark Souls is lit, no pun intended.
There are 2 reasons why people don't think Chosen Undead is likely: "Bandai Namco competition" and "He doesn't fit"

Look, Dark Souls is in my opinion one of Bandai Namco's biggest franchises at present, and unless I'm missing a bigger Namco rep here he's the frontrunner currently. And him not fitting into the Smash spirit? Well, sure, but... Bayonetta. Ridley. The Belmonts.

3. Sol Badguy
Guilty Gear is the game that got me into fighting games, so I owe it a lot.
Sol Badguy isn't considered much because bigger fighting game reps exist, but Guilty Gear is big enough that Sol does have a shot. Honestly, if any fighter who isn't Ryu/Ken/Terry deserves to be in Smash, it's Sol. The visuals, man, look at 'em!

Reimu Hakurei is quite possibly one of the most polarizing characters in Smash speculation. You either know her and want her, or don't know her and don't want her.
As an overly proud member of the former, I will proceed to debunk the main things people think she has going against her.

- "Obscure in the West"
Tell that to all the fan-translations, the English doujins and fangames. Did I mention that Touhou 12.3 has a spot at AnimEVO? Touhou isn't very popular outside of Japan, yes, but it's far from obscure. The fact that she's shown up so often in today's lists proves that.

- "Little to no localization"
I'll just quote SharkLord on this one:
As of current, there are twelve official Touhou games on Steam. While the official games aren't officially translated, this is because ZUN is aware that the fans will create their own translations within a couple days of release, defeating the need for an official translation. If anything, this is a point in Reimu's favor, as evidence for the fandom's dedication. This also isn't going into the countless translated fangames scattered throughout the various platforms, Switch included. Reimu may not be as popular in the West, but she is NOT AN UNLOCALIZED CHARACTER.
- "Indie"
Shovel Knight's an assist trophy. Sans and Cuphead are Mii Costumes. Shantae's a spirit. Quote is nowhere to be found.
Where does that put Reimu? Some people say she's dead.

I say she's in a pretty good spot, since Touhou is relatively big for an indie and so I wouldn't worry about her "rank" in the indie ladder.

-"No Nintendo history"
Cloud exists. Also 15.5 is in the eShop. End of story.

Please don't slam me for my bias.

I have not been simping on Amiya.
I have not been having a fever dream.
I have not been battling a crippling Arknights addiction.

...OK, but hear me out. Amiya has almost everything that Saber has going for her. Arknights' popularity makes up for its lack of legacy, and Amiya represents mobile, gacha, and tower-defense. Personally, I'd like a Tower-Defense rep.

Amiya also has the same problems that Saber has, unfortunately. But...you know what, I've gotten Amiya over 100 noms, I'm not stopping now.

Shoutout to the people who kept this thread running for so long. RTC is fun!

Noms: 10 noms? 10 noms.
Amiya x10

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
not for whether they were made an assist trophy 3-5 years ago long before anyone knew we would be in the second DLC fighters pass.
More like 3-8 years ago, since the Smash 4 assist trophies were recycled from that game.

Top Bottom