• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Ice Climbers

Chances: 85%
Given we've finally separated from the 3DS, the thing that was apparently holding back the Ice Climbers no longer exists, so they should almost certainly be in. I do wonder if their awkward to balance moveset might prevent it, I'm pretty sure the regrab timer from Smash 4 fixes their biggest problem in that regard anyway. Not guaranteed as Sakurai makes pretty weird decisions sometimes.

Want: 25%
I never cared for them, even if their concept is fun in theory, they've always just kind of devolved into an annoying chaingrabber that's not really fun to play the way their meant to be played. If their moveset got a rework to better explore using two characters at once maybe, as even Rosalina is better executed.

Nominations
King Boo (Luigi's Mansion/Mario Franchise) x 2
KOS-MOS(Xenosaga) x 2
Garon(Fire Emblem Fates) x 1

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Ice Climbers:popo:

Chance: 99%

Based on what we've been told, it sounds like Sakurai tried just about everything to get them working on the 3DS version. Seems like he has a soft spot for Nana and Popo, I'm sure he'll do his best to include them this time around.

The only reason this isn't 100% is 8 player smash. If it returns, I'm not sure the Switch could handle 16 Ice Climbers at once.

Want: 100%

You can blame this on Brawl in the Family, that comic got me far too invested in these little mountaineers.

Prediction for Wolf: 80%

Unless time constraints keep him away, I don't see why Sakurai wouldn't bring him back.

Nominating Bomberman x5

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Ice Climbers

Chance: 98%

They have no odds against them and priority is the only thing in their way. I can't see Sakurai forgetting about them this time.

I love my icy babies.

Prediction for Wolf:

Chance: 79%

Want: 91%

Nominations: Takamaru x5

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Nana! Popo!

Chance: 80%
Want: 60%

If I remember right, they were done and working...on the Wii U at least. But since the 3DS couldn't handle it, and the rosters *had* to be the same, they were left out. If that's true, they're just sitting on a disc somewhere ready to come back.
Sidenote: Can we again question the logic of bringing out a third sequel of a game on a console whose hardware isn't able to handle the mechanics of the first sequel of 11 years prior?

There is no reason they couldn't come beck this round, and would be a welcome addition.

But...

Now there is a precedent for 8-man Smash, which becomes 16 if all eight players take IC’s. The switch can no doubt handle 8 players on screen, but I don’t know about 8 Nanas as well...
And if it was down to 8-character free-for-all versus IC’s, I’d be on the fence.

I would be happy to see them back. I was terrible at playing them, but it was one of those things you miss more when you don't have it anymore. Still, the only gameplay they got in my version was when the CPU picked them. I wasn't bummed to see them gone, but they do deserve to come back.

As long as they leave their Melee stage out of it...

Prediction for Wolf: 75%
Nomination: New Zelda character x5

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Ice Climbers

Chance: 50%
A lot of you are really confident they'll return, but there are a lot of important variables that we don't know. How far into completion are they on the Wii U version? Their trophies use their Brawl models, so clearly their model and/or skin for SSB4 wasn't ready yet, but aside from that we have no idea. They could be almost complete or they could've been scrapped early on. If it's the latter, can they port data from Brawl to Smash 5? Sakurai said that they had to remake Mewtwo from the ground up because they couldn't port him from Melee to Smash 4, and that might be true here as well. And if that's the case, are they willing to recreate them from scratch? It's either 100% or 0% and I'm not sure which.

Want: 0%
They are the absolute worst, I would seriously rather have the Minions get in.

Wolf predictions:
Chance: 70%
Want: 80%

Nominations:
Sora x3
Travis Touchdown x2

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Ice Climbers

Chance: 90%
They were cut for technical reasons, but now they should be able to return.

Wnat: 90%
I really liked the duo.

Pennate

Smash Cadet
Ice Climbers:

Only hardware limitations for both the 3DS and the Wii U could stop the Ice Climbers from appearing in Smash 4, and considerable work was done to try to work them in anyway. If the Switch is powerful enough to handle them, the Ice Climbers will most likely rejoin the playable cast.

Want: 50%
I don't have a preference on this topic. It would be nice to see the Icies return, given their history with the series, but I won't be troubled if they're missing from this game, too.

Nominations:
Excitebiker x3
Ganon x2

D

Deleted member

Ice Climbers

Chances: A (100%)

Literally the only thing that kept them out of Smash 3DS & Wii U was technical issues with the 3DS. Now that they only have one game to work with and that the Switch is a more powerful hardware than the Wii U, they're inevitable. I would have been more worried if this was a different director but no way does Sakurai not want them back.

Want: B (75%)

I loved playing as them in Brawl and I always like the idea of duo characters.

I'll predict 65% for Wolf in likelihood.

x5 Bomberman

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Ice Climbers:

Chance: 95%

Only reason this isn't 100% is because I think it's too early to call just about anything. Still, the only reason they were ever cut to begin with was hardware limitations with the 3DS, so I'll be shocked if they don't return for the next game.

Annoyed as I was by their chain grabs in the previous games, it's not going to be something they'll have in the future if the removal of chain grabs in 4 is anything to go by. Even with them, the absence of the Ice Climbers just......made the roster feel more empty. There was this hole on the roster that was always there and never got filled. It just wasn't the same without them. I really do want them to come back.

Wolf Prediction: 58%

Nominations: Shovel Knight x5

andimidna

Smash Master
Maybe I just missed it, but I never saw anybody’s prediction for Ridley announced as being the closest. Did that ever happen?

ICs:
Not only were they planned, he had them running on the Wii U.
Chance: 99.9%
They’re pretty neat. I guess I’m not crazy about them really, but at the same time, they better be in. Even if I don’t like playing as them or against them lmao

Wolf prediction: 81%
Nominating x4 Midna x1 Azura

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Ice Climbers chance: 99%

In my opinion they're the most likely "new" character. They were playable on the Wii U version of the game before they were cut, so the code for them is basically just lying there waiting to be used.

Ice Climbers want: 95%

I'm really hoping to see them back, it doesn't feel the same without them.

Wolf chance prediction: 75%

Noms:
Phoenix Wright x3
Chibi Robo x2

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ice Climbers!

Chance: 100%
Sakurai basically moved heaven and earth to get them working on the 3DS, and in the end he still wasn't able to. That's some dedication. And he outright spoke about their cut...that's the only time a veteran's cut was ever detailed at length. It's clear they were never meant to be cut. They'll be back now that hardware isn't an issue.

Give me back my babies, Sakurai.

Predicting a 68% for Wolf.
Nominating Celica x5

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
Ice Climbers

chance 100%
Theres no way they wont be brought back now that the only thing holding them back has been eliminated. Sakurai mentioned they worked in the WiiU version and I doubt they deleted their files. They basically have a working character on their hands already!

want 50%
I personally dont care for them but I'll never say no to an original character with a unique moveset... unless its something awful

I'm certain we'll see the little climbers again

Parades

Smash Rookie
Ice Climbers

chance: 50%
I think their likelihood is being seriously overstated. I'd love to be wrong, but I'm not getting my hopes up over apparent "shoo-in" returning cut characters after Mewtwo missed Smash 4's base roster. I could very easily see Sakurai pressing forward and not bothering bringing them back.

want 100%.
Bring everyone back. I don't even like playing as them, but bring everyone back.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers! :popo:

Chances: 95% = Nothing in this world is guaranteed. and while Sakurai wanted to include them in Smash 4. and even got them working on the Wii U version. they ultimately didn't make the cut due to hardware limitations on the 3DS. it's very very likely they could return. especially since they are multi-game veterans. and the only representation of their series. but. that's a series that hasn't really had any relevance for a long long time. they're really more known for being in Smash Bros now than they are for their own game. and being absent from the last one. people may have moved on and forgotten them. and bringing them back for the Switch Smash might seem like an idea that won't generate enough hype. i still think they are practically a shoe-in though. but there's still that slim chance they won't come back.

Want: 100% - I actually found myself playing these guys a fair bit in Melee and Brawl. and they were quite unique and fun. it made me sad to see them missing from Smash4 and I'd love to see them return. especially since they represent their series and were unique characters. losing them really sucked and now without the hardware limitations of the 3DS. hopefully we can have them back.

Prediction: Wolf - 63%

Nominations
Qbby (From Boxboy) x3
Chibi-Robo x1
Banjo & Kazooie x1

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Ice Climbers
Chance: 95% -
Considering how hard Sakurai tried to get them in, and knowing their fan popularity, I'd be shocked if we didn't get them back on the vastly superior Switch.
Want: 100% - I miss these guys. Hope they don't miss their chance to battle with all of Smash 4's roster.

Wolf
Chance: 78.63%
Want: 87.81%

Nominations:

Sora x5

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Ice Climbers
Sakurai straight-up said himself that they actually tried to put them in Sm4sh, but got screwed over by the 3DS being underpowered, and getting kicked out of a series forever just because they decided to make a 3DS game just doesn't seem right.
This is probably the only character I'll give a 100% chance to.
While I never played as them that often and I'm kinda annoyed by their grabbing shenanigans, it's more that I think they deserve to be brought back, and as I said yesterday, bring back all the vets.

Wolf Prediction: 73%
Noms: Crash Bandicoot x5

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Ice Climbers Want: 48%

As long as they can still do rad **** like desyncing, they would bring a lot of fun to the game, but other duos could do that, too.

Nominations:
Fire Emblem Spear User x5

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Ice Climbers

Sakurai desperately wanted these two in Smash 4, he tried many different things to get them to work on the 3DS and it just didn't pan out. Now that the 3DS isn't in consideration, their only barrier is gone and things are looking up for them, and with a lot of support even from Sakurai himself, I think we'll finally see the long awaited return of the duo.

Want: 55%

I'm mostly ambivalent towards them as I rarely used them and I have no attachment to the character, but many do want them back and it'd be nice to see their favorite veterans return.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Ice Climbers chances: 70%
I think they're likely to return, especially with no version on a weaker console, and hopefully the increase of power of the Switch compared to the Wii U will mean 8-player Smash won't be an issue for them either. However, I'm gonna take lessons from Mewtwo and not see them as guarantee for the base game, but taking DLCs into account then I'd confidently give them a score close to 100%.

Ice Climbers want: 85%

Wolf prediction: 62.78%

Nominating:
Concept: veteran character artworks recycled from Smash 3DS/Wii U x4
Returning game mode: Smash Run x1

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Chance: 99%
With the 3ds out of the way, they seem like a shoe in for sure.

Want: 70%
I played the ice climbers once or twice. They seem ok. Never really connected that much but they still were fun to play

Nomination:
Indie Character x5

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ice Climbers

Chance:
99% - Probably the highest chance I'll ever give. Pretty simple explanation: no 3DS this time.

Want: 10% - I've never liked playing as them, and I've most certainly never liked playing against them. Hopefully they don't have any grab infinites this time, but even without that I don't really like them, their gimmick just sucks playing against in general.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Ice Climbers:

Sakurai wanted to keep them in, but due to the 3DS, they probably didn't even make it past the project plan stages.
I'd argue that 8 Player Smash wouldn't work with both Nana and Popo as several adjustments had to be made...including the Wii Fit Trainer and other characters losing bones in their models. The Wii Fit Studio also lost its mirror, items spawn significantly less, and Luigi's Mansion isn't breakable. So the only thing that might hold the ice duos back is if 8 Player Smash returns.

I enjoy their playstyle, and I miss it.

Wolf Prediction: 60%

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Ice Climber

I don't think they have any excuse this time. They're as close to guaranteed to be in as possible.
Want: 50%
I don't play with these characters so I don't really care if they're in or not, but I know a lot of people will be happy to have them back, so I'm glad for them.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Ice Climbers

Chance: 95%: Sakurai clearly liked them to work so hard in an attempt to bring them back. Limitations from the hardware that won't be used anymore means they should be a shoo-in. My only lingering doubt is since they were cut from smash 4, they could prove to be low on the priority list for this installment.

Want: 100% - they are part of the Smash family. Twas' odd seeing them not in the game.

Predicting 70% for Wolf.

Noms:
Phoenix Wright x2
Black Shadow x3

Last edited:

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers
Chance- 85%
Very likely, but 8 Player Smash scares me a little. They should be in, but I’m not calling anything an absolute certainty.
Want- 100%
Yes, please. They were among my favorites.

Wolf Predictions- 71%

Nominations:
Andy x5

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
:icsmelee::popo::icsmelee::popo:
Ice Climbers

Chance: 98%

Ice climbers were originally cut due to the technical limitations on the 3ds with that out of the way and being a fun unique character, I feel confident Popo and Nana will be back.

Want: 90%
One of my favorite mirror matches when playing smash with friends was all of us playing the ice climbers on one stock and trying to keep our Nana alive for as long possible while trying to take out the opponents. Fun little mode we made up and was quite fun. I miss this duo.

Wolf Prediction: 72%

Nominate
Lucas 5x

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Ice Climber who? Oh, that trophy from Smash Bros 4! Why would Sakurai ever make them a character???

Chance- 100%
Nothing holding them back this time!

Want- 95%
I miss these little guys! I had a blast playing as them in Melee, Brawl and PM.

Wolf- 63%

Banjo Kazooie X 2
Crash X 1
Doomguy x 1
Concept- No Cuts X 1

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Ice Climbers

Chances 90%: I'd say that they have an extremely high chance of making it in. They are veterans that fans of been demanding for some time.

Want 60%: I'm somewhat lukewarm when it comes to them myself. I've never played Ice Climbers (game) so I have no attachment to them. But, since they are veterans it would be nice if the fans got them back.

Nominations
Jibanyan 2x
Midna 2x
Skull Kid 1x

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Ice Climbers
I would think that Ice Climbers would be a gurantee, but I'm unsure. The main thing I could see holding them back is if Sakurai is prioritizing new characters over old ones. If 8 player smash is also an issue, it's unclear as to what would be changed about them to fix this issue. Regardless, I think there's enough fan outcry for them to make a return, not to mention they got far enough in development to have a working moveset, meaning they don't need to be built from the ground up like Mewtwo or Roy.

I'm not a big fan of Ice Climbers, but I think they should return. Not only for their unique moveset but also having more retro representation would be cool.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
ice climbers :popo:

chance 95%
They were cut because of the 3ds so no longer on the 3ds so they should be back

want 90%
Never really played as nana and popo but it felt odd without them

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ice climbers, id estimate

chances: 90% if the only reason why they were cut was cause they didnt work on the 3ds i dont see why they cant come back this time, especially if dr mario came back for much weaker reasons

want: 100% i like them and was disappointed they were left out

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Ice Climbers

Chance: 75%
I think ICies have a good chance, but they’re not guaranteed. Yes, they were cut in the last game because they froze it up on the 3DS, but it’s been a while since then, and Ice Climbers are less relevant than ever. Playing devil’s advocate here, but it’s possible Sakurai decides that he has enough retro reps to leave the Climbers out in the cold.
that said...

Want: 101%
SAKURAI PLEASE BRING MY BABIES HOME

I love the Ice Climbers more than I love myself. They have a unique moveset, they’re cute as h*ck, they have a really chill theme, and I love playing them. If they don’t come back my heart will be frozen for good.

Predictions for Wolf: 75%

nominations:
Hector x3
Shovel Knight x2

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think the Ice Climbers have a really REALLY good chance of returning, but stuff like 8-Player Smash potentially returning and possibly Switch system limitations combined could prevent their inclusion. Ice Climbers are in a better situation than the 3DS situation, but who knows? Sakurai is probably prioritizing these characters first as we speak. I do not think Popo and Nana's return is guaranteed as others might think.

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Ice Climbers
There was one reason they got cut, and that's moot now. They're classic characters, beloved generally, unique in Smash, so they should come back. As we saw from Mewtwo and Roy, it wouldn't be the first time a vet skips one game to come back in a later one.

It was sad to see them gone.

Wolf prediction: 75%

Nominations: Pyra/Mythra (without Rex) x3, Elma, Lyn

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Ice climbers

Chance: 96%
There's no underpowered handheld to hold them back this time around. Sure, the Switch might not be able to handle an 8-player IC ditto perfectly, but I don't think the troubles would be anything more major than some dropped frames and a bit of slowdown. But I think that would be worth it and besides, we aren't really sure if that mode will even return anyway.

Don't have any personal connections with them or their game, but their absence in Smash 4 kinda made the roster feel incomplete. I'd be cool with seeing them back.

Predictions:
Wolf 78,5%

Nominations:
Hades x3
Pacman x1
Qbby x1

D

Deleted member

Chance: 50%
I, for one, don't actually think they're guaranteed. Sure, there's nothing holding them back anymore, but keep in mind that Sakurai stated that their exclusion allowed 8-player Smash to be possible.
Could the Switch be powerful enough to handle 16 characters on one screen? I sincerely doubt that. That said, I am no programmer, so I could be wrong.

Honestly, I don't really like playing as the Ice Climbers, but I know many people miss them and they have been part of the Smash family for a long time, so I would be far from upset if they returned.

Nominations: Decidueye X5

Wolf prediction: 75%
Some people are totally gonna forget what Sakurai said about Roy and Mewtwo.

Last edited by a moderator:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Day 4: Ice Climbers prediction

Chances: 90%

There's very little chance Sakurai will pass these characters up, especially since they were planned for Smash 4. Hopefully they work for 8-player smash if that returns.

Want: 85%

They are "cool" characters. :p No seriously, they fit the Smash Bros. roster and I would be happy to see them again. Hopefully Sakurai can balance them so they don't need an infinite chain grab (ala Brawl) to be a good character.
----
Wolf prediction: 83% I think he's pretty likely but I think we all have some doubts
------
Nominate x5 lyndis
:kirby:

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
King Boo:

Chance: 25%

Want: 110%

King boo is my top pick. I will main him no matter what! I can see a really cool moveset for him and along with toad/captain toad I think he'd make a great Mario rep and a rival to Luigi.
Welcome to Smashboards, I see you are relatively new! We're voting on the Ice Climbers today! This game has all the users vote on one character each day. The schedule is on the first page~

Edit: Double post sry

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ice Climbers:

Sakurai wanted to keep them in, but due to the 3DS, they probably didn't even make it past the project plan stages.
I'd argue that 8 Player Smash wouldn't work with both Nana and Popo as several adjustments had to be made...including the Wii Fit Trainer and other characters losing bones in their models. The Wii Fit Studio also lost its mirror, items spawn significantly less, and Luigi's Mansion isn't breakable. So the only thing that might hold the ice duos back is if 8 Player Smash returns.

I enjoy their playstyle, and I miss it.

Wolf Prediction: 60%
Regarding that, isn't the Switch more powerful than the Wii U? If so, I'd imagine that there will be less sacrifices made to achieve 8-player Smash mode so that other characters don't lose bone in their models, items can spawn more, etc. Not to mention that technical problems are less likely to be an issue seeing as they're only work on one system and are likely porting the same engine as last game.

I should mention that I'm certain that 8-player Smash is returning barring a reboot.

Top Bottom