• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
What are you exactly talking about the "Direct time"?

This and the last year in fact feel that it didn't have mentions to Fire Emblem at all in the General Directs; limited only to the Fire Emblem Warriors teaser that it wasn't even the complete teaser; and the Lyn annocement at mid-late 2017 (that wasn't exactly long anyway)... pretty much every other new (Shadows of Valentia and Heroes) were relegated to their own directs.
It's calmed down the past couple of years, but don't pretend it didn't dominate the Directs when Fates was coming out. Every single Direct for over a year was dominated by Fire Emblem. Even when they had nothing of substance to announce, they spent like a quarter of their run time talking about it. Putting up with that, plus characters you don't give a crap about filling up the roster of your favorite video game, including adding a promotional character no one asked for instead of a runner-up from the ballot, it's almost impossible not to come out the other end without some negative feelings about the series. And like I said, it has gotten a lot better. Echoes, Heroes and Warriors were almost entirely sectioned off into their own Directs, and so far nothing on FE Switch. Still, the flood of Fire Emblem during the year Fates was coming out, along with the aforementioned really annoying weeaboos, has permanently soured me to the franchise, and I know I'm not the only one.

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Chrom
Chances: 20%
Fire Emblem already got two new games, three new spinoffs and has another game in the horizon since Awakening, guess they'd pick from newer material

Want: 40%
Chrom is one of my favorite characters in the series, but I guess he's not that unique, Robin and Lucina are already in, and tbh Awakening is already old news. Not any less of an amazing game sure, but still, let's get someone from Echoes, idk

Chromfirmed

Smash Journeyman
Chrom

Chance: 50%

"I suppose will get my chance another day".
At least 50% chance has. In addition, Lucina is a clone of Marth. We deserve Chrom and Lucina as unique characters, they are true representatives of Awakening.

Want: 100%
Chrom is my favorite male Nintendo character. Do I have to say more?

Troykv

Smash Master
It's calmed down the past couple of years, but don't pretend it didn't dominate the Directs when Fates was coming out. Every single Direct for over a year was dominated by Fire Emblem. Even when they had nothing of substance to announce, they spent like a quarter of their run time talking about it. Putting up with that, plus characters you don't give a crap about filling up the roster of your favorite video game, including adding a promotional character no one asked for instead of a runner-up from the ballot, it's almost impossible not to come out the other end without some negative feelings about the series. And like I said, it has gotten a lot better. Echoes, Heroes and Warriors were almost entirely sectioned off into their own Directs, and so far nothing on FE Switch. Still, the flood of Fire Emblem during the year Fates was coming out, along with the aforementioned really annoying weeaboos, has permanently soured me to the franchise, and I know I'm not the only one.
In that case, it was just with Fates (and to a minor extent TMS#FE)... The franchise prior Awakening's success lacked attention from Nintendo overseas... And outside of some cool figures and some funny commercials... the franchise wasn't in a much better sittuation in Japan those days.

In fact, during the days prior to Awakening's overseas release, people demanded know about Awakening's sittuation overseas in the Directs.

It seems they overdone it with Fates in the other hand (specially because pretty much only this game and Star Fox Zero were the only things showed in the 2015 E3 after Smash Bros than weren't kind of forgot, or hated in Metroid's case)

Oh, and by the way... My feels about Fates are mixed... extremely... even before the american release... Something weird about this game bugged me... and still does.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Chrome

Odds - 10%. We'll either get a FE16 character or an Echoes one. If we DO get one from an older game, please not a 3rd Awakening one. SpongeBob was wrong, not everything is Chrome in the future.

Wants - 10%. See the second sentence of odds.

Nominations: 3x Marx, 2x Kamek.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Chromosome:

Chance: 5%
Want: 0%

I think his time has passed but I guess he has a small chance. They looked him over for the reason that he didn’t stand out compared to Robin. Now he’s got more popular and diverse competition (Celica, Fjorm, etc) or perhaps an even more relevant and better business decision (FE Switch lord). I like him as a character but I feel he doesn’t have much to offer and as it stands Fire Emblem is too crowded.

x4 Waluigi
x1 Kamek

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Chrom

Chance; .01%
Just doesn't seem even remotely possible nya, he's Robins final smash nya. And even if Robin for whatever reason gets cut, that doesn't mean Chrom will come in nya.

I like Fire Emblem nya, but if they add or replace a character in the next smash I'd hope it's Celica nya, nyot Chrom.

D

Deleted member

Chrom

Chance: 0.01%

Technically he has a chance. But he's not going to happen. His time has passed, and we know that Sakurai thinks he's just another swordsman. And for the people who are misremembering Robin's trailer, the whole 'getting his chance another day' thing was literally referring to him being Robin's Final Smash.

I like the guy in FE + its spinoffs, but he has nothing to offer in Smash.

Nominations: Labo newcomer x5

Predictions:

Arms Character: 55.6%
Rhythm Heaven Character: 35.6%

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
:4robinm:Chromed:4robinf:

Well, hard times for him! Unless... the Switch Fire Emblem is direct sequel for Awakening (this is the first time I tought about this OMG)

Want: 5%

I already got (back) what I wanted soo much :4feroy:

Last edited:

chemo

Smash Apprentice
Chrom

Chance: 2%

IIRC Chrom was considered for Smash 4, but Sakurai added in Robin instead because he felt Robin made for a more unique moveset, and I can see why. Not to mention, Chrom is even less relevant now than when SSB4 came out, so unless Chrom makes it in as an alternate costume for an already existing character or some miracle happens, I don't see him being a playable character in Smash.

Not just the reasons above, but also because we have too many Fire Emblem characters. The farthest I think Smash should go at this point in time is adding in whoever FE 2018's protagonist is, and even then that's a bit of a stretch.

Nomination:

Doomguy x5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Just a quick question TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom , but will there be special days of RTC where we rate our level of satisfaction of confirmed veterans and newcomers like in the previous editions?
Yes, the only reason we have not done one for Inklings is due to not seeing them in action yet. Once we do they will have one.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Chrome from the Fire Embull Chance: 5%
Even ignoring all that Sakurai's said about Chrom, the fact that he's in Robin's Final Smash alone puts a decent dent in his chances, especially when there aren't many viable replacements for Chrom in the Final Smash (Frederick's the only option really).

Want: 25%
Even as an FE fan, I still would rather see FE stay on the sidelines this time. The only thing stopping me from giving him a flat zero is that he could use lances/ spears which would give him a bit of an interesting moveset and I have to be honest, he does deserve it.

Arms Prediction: 90%

Rhythm Heaven Prediction: 65%

Nominations: Dr. Eggman X5

:094:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Chrom

Chances 7.5%
Among many, almost nobody felt more like a lock for Wii U more than Chrom. Then that one exciting trailer surprised those people. Now, a third Awakening rep, no matter how important it is to the series and how popular it is, seems like a stretch considering we have had Fates and Echoes since then, Heroes and Warriors (which I don't think they will pull from), and the NEXT entry with presumably brand new protagonists will be coming out possibly in Q3 or Q4 this year.

Want 25%
I like Chrom A LOT because he's an intelligent character and I like FE:A A LOT. But unless they fully incorporate him into his daughter Lucina's (not Robin's) moveset to fully represent Pair Up, I wouldn't want him. His time has passed.

Predict
ARMS character 89%
RH character 13%

Nominate:
Toad x1
Sukapon x1
Cranky Kong x1
Simon Belmont x1
Slime x1

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Chrom chances: 0.5%
I can't really imagine myself Sakurai adding Chrom after what he said about him almost four years ago and the fact he could simply bring Robin and/or Lucina back to have playable Awakening representation.

Chrom want: 5%
Just giving him a little bit of respect after the treatment he got during Robin's reveal - I hope no character ever gets deconfirmed again in such an disrespectful fashion. But otherwise I'm not interested at all.

Arms character prediction: 57.41%
Rhythm Heaven character prediction: 15.13%

Nominating:
Concept: veteran character artworks recycled from Smash 3DS/Wii U x5

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
I feel like we've hit a point where no one is going to be able to beat the trinity of King K. Rool + Bandana Waddle Dee + Ridley in terms of Want scores.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Yeah, he is my second least favourite lord only above Corrin. He is a messy mish mash of Marth, Ike, and Ephraim, while failing to capture what made those characters so great. He is arrogant (blindly believing his pov is the only legit one), hypocritical (scolds the villains for putting selfish reasons above the greater good and does just that in the final battle), and ignorant (refuses to acknowledge his country's past mistakes). He doesn't grow, he doesn't do anything original, and he is imo pretty uninspired.
I'm just gonna jump in here really quickly.

Did we play the same game? Because holy **** you misinterpreted Chrom's character completely.

He's far from arrogant. He recognizes the benefits of other's viewpoints even when they aren't his own, case in point, his views on Emmeryn's beliefs, which aren't his own. And in the final battle, he has ample reason to try to save Robin, because at that point in the game, he, Robin, and Lucina had already altered their supposed destiny several times over.

And to say he refuses to acknowledge Ylisse's past transgressions is profoundly dumb. His entire character is built upon the fact that he became the complete opposite of his father, who he acknowledged as a complete monster. He fights alongside the Shepherds like family while his dad sent untrained soldiers to die as meat shields. He's not only acknowledging Ylisse's wrongdoings, he's atoning for them.

And no growth? Lol. His growth was the entire point of the Valm arc, since it showcased how he grew as a leader.

Like it's fine if you don't like him but don't make **** up. It's petty.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Chrom
Chance: 1%
His only chance was on Smash 4, but that didn't happen. So it's not happening anymore.
Want: 1%
I don't need anymore Fire Emblem characters.

Nominations
Decloned Dark Pit x5

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Google Chromium

Chance: 50%
I see him having slightly better chances than Celica or Lyn due Awakening's relevance, but only as a Marth alt.

He's a pretty cool character from what I've seen from the games.
Also I wanna see Opo losing his ****.

Eggman x5

Mighty Moose

Smash Cadet
Smash 4 was the big chance for Awakening characters and 2 were picked ahead of him

NO MORE FIRE EMBLEM

D

Deleted member

All of those people who say "No more Fire Emblem" are setting themselves up for major disappointment. :laugh:

Troykv

Smash Master
All of those people who say "No more Fire Emblem" are setting themselves up for major disappointment. :laugh:
Yeah; I can understand their pain... but... New Fire Emblem Character in Smash Switch is more likely than not (At least this time they had actual reasons to believe FE wouldn't get new characters... but still...)

Last edited:

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Chance: 0%

Chrom's time is done, as is Awakening as a whole. They got enough representation. The focus will be on FE16 for sure.

I nominate Mike Jones x5.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Chrom

Chance: 20%

I'm going to be reasonable here. I feel like the amount of want and hype for Chrom in Smash 4 could potentially lead to him getting either a slot as a playable character or perhaps even an Alt for Ike or something. He's a very popular character from Fire Emblem so it's not like he has no chance or a very little chance, but the fact he was shoved into Robin's final smash and Sakurai stated himself that he didn't feel like Chrom would be a unique or great addition at the time makes me think he won't be considered. Especially with the newest Fire Emblem game on the horizon, or even Rowan/Lianna from Warriors.

Want: 70%
Chrom is one of my favorite characters from Fire Emblem, and he could easily have a unique moveset or even an interesting one that borrows from Marth and Ike. I'd definitely love to see him in the game, but if any older Fire Emblem character comes in as a newcomer I'd want it to be Azura over anything else, so he's not exactly a 100% want for me.

Nominations:
Poipole x2
Petey Piranha x2
Azura x1

Predictions:
ARMS character: 87.68%
Rhythm Heaven character: 39.56%

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
"I suppose I'll get my chance another day..." - Chrom
Chance: 0.5%
Sadly, Chrom's been relegated to Robin's Final Smash, and Sakurai has admitted that Robin was chosen over him thanks to Robin bringing the 'Magic Knight' kit to Smash Bros and weapon durability.

Want: 50%
Chrom's definitely a cool character, and Awakening definitely holds a place in my heart as one of my favourite Fire Emblem games. However, I'm content with where Chrom is at the moment... Robin and Lucina are welcome additions to the Smash Bros cast for me, and I'm happy Chrom finally got his chance... in other games.

Nominate Roy X3
Lucina X2

Changed my mind - I nominate Marx (Kirby) X5 instead.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Chrom
Chances:
30%

For me, more Fire Emblem characters need to be new and creative, like Robin. What you guys want from Chrom? Another Ike? No thanks.

Nomination: Agumon x5

Mighty Moose

Smash Cadet
That's why I put it for want rather than chance. I expect the worst but I refuse to be pleased about it.

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Chrom
Chance: 1% - Oh how the mighty of fallen. :( We already have two Awakening reps on the roster and we now have fates, echoes, heroes, and the future FE Switch title all being more relevant than Awakening. All this coupled with Sakurai already stating that he was rejected for being to similar to Marth and Ike, leads to a character that has almost no chance at all.
Want: 80% - I was actually a big supporter of Chrom for SSB4 and did my best to defend him against the rampant claims that he’d be too unoriginal. I was as disappointed as all the other Chrom supporters when the gematsu leak turned out to be fake (or at least outdated). Thankfully Robin went on to be my main in SSB4.

Predictions:
ARMS character: 77%
Rhythm Heaven character: 34%

Nominations: New Story mode. x5

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Day seventeen...a pretty standard Lord.

Chrom

Chance: 10%

Most likely not happening. Sakurai has been clear on his feelings for the character and his gameplay potential (or lack thereof.) I only give ten percent because there is a small chance of him being a clone or alt skin. But as an original fighter? No dice.

Want: 1%

A very plain lord, IMO. To be fair, though, mostly lords are pretty plain. Not saying his story or character is at all flawed, but that doesn't make him an interesting fighter. If Smash were a story-heavy game, then sure, he'd be alright. But otherwise, he doesn't bring anything exciting to the table.

Predictions

Rhythm Heaven Character: 37%

ARMS character: 69%

Nominations

Woo! Thanks for the bonus noms, TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom ! Finally, I can use these for good...or EVIL!

Marx x10!

Wow, you guys are pessimistic and unrealistic.
Chance: 100%
He's guaranteed to be in the game...as a part of Robin's FS

Oh, we're rating Chrom as an individual? Then 0 an attack prop stays an attack prop. Right Toad?

I love FE but I there are plenty of other characters from FE who would be better if we even get more FE characters.

noms: Tethu X5
Hey, you got bonus noms too, my man! Don't forget to use the other five!

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Chrom

Unfortunately, his chance is probably not today. Chrom's series operates like a revolving door and newcomers get prioritized over older characters when it comes to inclusion. Chrom has missed inclusion when he was at his most recent, and now that Awakening's time has passed, he likely won't get another.

Want: 40%
I don't mind him, but there are other FE characters that I'd prefer.

Nominations:
Lycanroc x5

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Hey, you got bonus noms too, my man! Don't forget to use the other five!
I know he awarded me the extra nominations but didn't already use them for my post from yesterday where I said: "Tethu X10 if I won". I know I didn't technically win since it was all down to a massive mix up but still think I already used them.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Chrom

His chances aren't looking good. Sakurai ended up choosing Robin over him as the main Awakening rep because the former would bring more unique moveset potential due to his mage aspects, while Chrom was viewed as just another sword-lord for what he would bring. Chrom even went on to become outright deconfirmed by Sakurai alongside Ridley. Furthermore, knowing the trend of Fire Emblem characters, the ones that are likely to be added for the next game are the more relevant ones, particularly lords from the more recent games.

I wouldn't say Chrom's chances are completely zero though. He has become one of the faces of modern Fire Emblem and has been featured prominently in the spinoffs like Heroes and Warriors. Heck, he even made a crossover appearance in Project X Zone 2. Still, I don't think it's enough for Chrom to defy fate. Being relegated to Robin's Final Smash is another issue; the only way I can see Chrom leaving that Final Smash is if Robin's Final Smash is replaced with him summoning Grima.

Chrom is my favorite lord of the series and a pretty cool character to. Opossum pretty much summed up what I would have to say regarding the reasons why I too like him.

I remember being a Chrom supporter during the Smash 4 speculation days, so you can imagine how hurt I was when I saw how brutally confirmed he was that day when Robin's trailer came out. It's because of that I've been wishing to see him in Smash just to make up for that brutal treatment. I know his chances are quite slim, but that doesn't stop me from abandoning support. Heck, I remember playing a Project M mod recently that featured Chrom where his moveset involved him switching between his sword and a spear for two different movesets, and if he does make the cut, I'd be interested in a similar mechanic would be implemented in his actual moveset if he actually made it to Smash.

------

Predictions

ARMS rep: 82.46%

No doubt the relevancy will definitely lead to those higher scores tomorrow.

------

Nominations

Professor Layton (Professor Layton): x5

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I know he awarded me the extra nominations but didn't already use them for my post from yesterday where I said: "Tethu X10 if I won". I know I didn't technically win since it was all down to a massive mix up but still think I already used them.
Actually, I only counted you for the five last update, as I determined (at the the time) that none of us won. That was before Phantom doled out the bonus ones for us. So I'm pretty sure you've still got five. Thanks for being so honest about it, though!

I'm assuming you'd want them for Tethu, right?

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Oh I know for a fact we're getting more Fire Emblem. I just don't particularly want it

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Boy, it feels really weird posting a rating higher than the Chrom fans today, especially since I'm apathetic towards him at best, but here we are.

Chrom
Chance - 25%

I'm going to discuss a bit more than usual today, but let me put my basic argument up front: Lucina has roughly a 50% chance of returning as a non-essential clone (I'll get more into that once her day rolls around), and I believe if Lucina returns, there is roughly a 50% chance that Chrom will be an alternate costume for her. There may be some other plausible edge cases, but realistically speaking I think that's the only way this happens.

From my point of view, Chrom's chances are tied almost directly to Lucina's. He's already been passed over as an individual character, and I don't see any reason to believe that will change. It's not unfair to say that the most likely scenario is that Chrom simply remains a part of Robin's Final Smash (let's say that's a 75% chance since I don't expect Robin to be cut). We also already know that Sakurai thinks Chrom doesn't offer enough unique moveset potential to be worth including. I'm not going to argue for or against that point, but it is what it is.

What we do have is a playable Lucina, who is, at least currently, a Marth clone. What's curious about this is that Chrom and Lucina are relatively interchangeable in terms of abilities: Chrom taught Lucina swordfighting, and she even uses the exact same sword. This even translates to other games: in Heroes the abilities of their base forms mirror each other, and in Warriors they use the exact same moveset save for differing cinematic specials. If Chrom is too boring for Smash, theoretically Lucina is too boring for Smash, and yet she is playable. Maybe it was a simple matter of popularity, or adding another playable female, or Nintendo/IS wanting to promote Fire Emblem that much more, but one way or another she got in.

So the next question is what is different for Smash for Switch? In my view, it's Nintendo/Sakurai's evolving views on costumes in Smash. Ignoring how well Mii costumes may or may not have done, Sm4sh gave us Cloud and Bayonetta, who each have two costumes representing two iterations of their respective characters, Robin and Corrin, who got male and female variants, and Bowser Jr., a character whose 7 alternates are seven different characters. Clearly, Sakurai is not opposed to the idea of costumes being used to show pretty drastic variants of characters, and if Chrom and Lucina fight the same way, then we have a very viable way of getting playable Chrom.

No, Chrom was not available as a Lucina alternate in Sm4sh. Yes, Chrom was used for Robin's Final Smash. While I don't believe there is precedent of the former occurring, we at least know Sakurai is aware of Chrom's fans given that Final Smash and the original reveal trailer, so it doesn't seem unreasonable to believe he ends up back on the table for consideration. As for the latter, that is no issue whatsoever: seven Brawl veterans got new Final Smashes in Sm4sh (eight if you count Charizard), so not only do I not think it would be surprising to see more Final Smashes change, I think it would be surprising if there were no changes.

So that loops back around to my operating theory: if we're going to get playable Chrom, it will be as a Lucina alternate. Without going into specifics, I believe there's roughly a 50% chance of Lucina, and if that comes to pass, I think there's a solid 50% chance of Chrom becoming one of her alternates, which comes out to a 25% chance for playable Chrom overall. This includes the surprise case of Lucina being decloned (that makes a Chrom alternate that much more likely IMO), and in a sense also the case of unique Chrom (because why wouldn't that also affect Lucina?). I still don't expect it to happen, but I think it's very plausible, and certainly more likely than some of the other characters we've already considered.

Want - 50%
Like I said, I don't particularly care about him. So long as he doesn't replace Lucina somehow, sure, let him Smash.

Nominations - Lucina x5
I'll probably end up re-using some of the above on her day, but there's definitely some unique factors to consider both as a specific character and as a Smash veteran.

Rhythm Heaven Prediction - 43% Chance, 43% Want
ARMS Prediction - 77% Chance, 67% Want

The former benefits thanks to the idea of Chorus Men in particular, while the latter is one of the most obvious considerations for Smash Switch. I'm expecting two relatively strong showings, although I think want on the former might suffer.

EDIT: Bonus prediction: I don't think we'll get a Fire Emblem newcomer in the base game. Seems too late to get anything from FE Switch since we still know basically nothing about it, and even counting the popularity of Lyn in particular, I think Sakurai will be cautious regarding adding another FE character without good cause.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Boy, it feels really weird posting a rating higher than the Chrom fans today, especially since I'm apathetic towards him at best, but here we are.

Chrom
Chance - 25%

I'm going to discuss a bit more than usual today, but let me put my basic argument up front: Lucina has roughly a 50% chance of returning as a non-essential clone (I'll get more into that once her day rolls around), and I believe if Lucina returns, there is roughly a 50% chance that Chrom will be an alternate costume for her. There may be some other plausible edge cases, but realistically speaking I think that's the only way this happens.

From my point of view, Chrom's chances are tied almost directly to Lucina's. He's already been passed over as an individual character, and I don't see any reason to believe that will change. It's not unfair to say that the most likely scenario is that Chrom simply remains a part of Robin's Final Smash (let's say that's a 75% chance since I don't expect Robin to be cut). We also already know that Sakurai thinks Chrom doesn't offer enough unique moveset potential to be worth including. I'm not going to argue for or against that point, but it is what it is.

What we do have is a playable Lucina, who is, at least currently, a Marth clone. What's curious about this is that Chrom and Lucina are relatively interchangeable in terms of abilities: Chrom taught Lucina swordfighting, and she even uses the exact same sword. This even translates to other games: in Heroes the abilities of their base forms mirror each other, and in Warriors they use the exact same moveset save for differing cinematic specials. If Chrom is too boring for Smash, theoretically Lucina is too boring for Smash, and yet she is playable. Maybe it was a simple matter of popularity, or adding another playable female, or Nintendo/IS wanting to promote Fire Emblem that much more, but one way or another she got in.

So the next question is what is different for Smash for Switch? In my view, it's Nintendo/Sakurai's evolving views on costumes in Smash. Ignoring how well Mii costumes may or may not have done, Sm4sh gave us Cloud and Bayonetta, who each have two costumes representing two iterations of their respective characters, Robin and Corrin, who got male and female variants, and Bowser Jr., a character whose 7 alternates are seven different characters. Clearly, Sakurai is not opposed to the idea of costumes being used to show pretty drastic variants of characters, and if Chrom and Lucina fight the same way, then we have a very viable way of getting playable Chrom.

No, Chrom was not available as a Lucina alternate in Sm4sh. Yes, Chrom was used for Robin's Final Smash. While I don't believe there is precedent of the former occurring, we at least know Sakurai is aware of Chrom's fans given that Final Smash and the original reveal trailer, so it doesn't seem unreasonable to believe he ends up back on the table for consideration. As for the latter, that is no issue whatsoever: seven Brawl veterans got new Final Smashes in Sm4sh (eight if you count Charizard), so not only do I not think it would be surprising to see more Final Smashes change, I think it would be surprising if there were no changes.

So that loops back around to my operating theory: if we're going to get playable Chrom, it will be as a Lucina alternate. Without going into specifics, I believe there's roughly a 50% chance of Lucina, and if that comes to pass, I think there's a solid 50% chance of Chrom becoming one of her alternates, which comes out to a 25% chance for playable Chrom overall. This includes the surprise case of Lucina being decloned (that makes a Chrom alternate that much more likely IMO), and in a sense also the case of unique Chrom (because why wouldn't that also affect Lucina?). I still don't expect it to happen, but I think it's very plausible, and certainly more likely than some of the other characters we've already considered.

Want - 50%
Like I said, I don't particularly care about him. So long as he doesn't replace Lucina somehow, sure, let him Smash.

Nominations - Lucina x5
I'll probably end up re-using some of the above on her day, but there's definitely some unique factors to consider both as a specific character and as a Smash veteran.

Rhythm Heaven Prediction - 43% Chance, 43% Want
ARMS Prediction - 77% Chance, 67% Want

The former benefits thanks to the idea of Chorus Men in particular, while the latter is one of the most obvious considerations for Smash Switch. I'm expecting two relatively strong showings, although I think want on the former might suffer.

EDIT: Bonus prediction: I don't think we'll get a Fire Emblem newcomer in the base game. Seems too late to get anything from FE Switch since we still know basically nothing about it, and even counting the popularity of Lyn in particular, I think Sakurai will be cautious regarding adding another FE character without good cause.
If we're specifically rating Chrom as a Lucina custome I would actually give him a similar score to yours... Lucina would ended up been Chrom's blessing to enter in Smash.

But my rating was mostly talking about a original character to Chrom... so yeah, that explains my hilariously low score.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
If we're specifically rating Chrom as a Lucina custome I would actually give him a similar score to yours... Lucina would ended up been Chrom's blessing to enter in Smash.

But my rating was mostly talking about a original character to Chrom... so yeah, that explains my hilariously low score.
Yeah, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the angle most are going with. In my view it's still Chrom on the roster, albeit sharing a character slot. Not ideal but beats the alternative, much like Lucina being playable at the cost of being a clone.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Chrom:

Chances 10%: Very low chance. However, Awakening is still a pretty big deal. Chrom was (if I remember correctly) the first character shown for Fire Emblem Warriors. So, it's not impossible.

Want: 15%: I like Chrom's character design but I have no real connection to Fire Emblem. I wouldn't hate it but wouldn't be excited.

Nominations:
Jibanyan 2x
Midna 2x
Skull Kid 1x

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Chrom
Chance- 4%
I'm afraid Chrom's time has come and passed, most likely. Sakurai didn't seem to think he was worth the time when the hour was most ripe. That said, he's still one of the most prominent figures in Fire Emblem, with the likes of Warriors keeping him at least somewhat relevant. There are newer games, but I don't get the impression they've made the impact that Awakening did. But yeah, it's not happening. Probably.
Want- 70%
Sigh.
I don't know. I didn't support him last time, but I ended up feeling pretty bad for him after what happened. After the fact, I kind of regretted my apathy.
I remember Chrom getting stereotyped as a boring, FE blue-haired swordsman a lot during Smash 4 speculation. While the blue hair and Fire Emblem tag can't be denied (obviously), Chrom is actually a good character in his own right, and did not deserve a lot of the criticism he got.
I don't really want more Fire Emblem, like many, and Awakening is well represented. But I think a cut is possible, and if we Mario and Pokemon newcomers, it wouldn't be the end of the world if we got one more FE rep. His reveal wouldn't knock my socks off, but my sister is a very big fan of Chrom, so at least for her sake, I'll make an exception and be somewhat happy. It's an exception, though, and I more than understand why people wouldn't want to see this.

ARMS Rep Prediction - 66%
RH Rep Prediction - 45%

Nominations:
Andy x3
Dillon x2

Last edited:
Top Bottom