• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
The popularity chart has been updated.

Sceptile
Chance: 11% - That's 10% higher than what I gave him last time. The new Ruby and Saphire knocked him on the radar.
Want: 27% - Same as before.

Blaziken
Chance: 11% - Same as Sceptile. The difference is that Blaziken has the popularity advantage whereas Sceptile has the Grass type advantage.
Want: 17% - I don't want the giant flaming Kung-Fu chicken to be playable.

Swampert
Chance: 0% - I'm rating him because I felt bad for him.
Want: 77% - My favourite Hoenn starter.

Nominations: Captain Toad x5

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Sceptile
Chance:30%
With Hoenn remaking being confirmed and Sceptile being the perfect Pokemon to finish off the trinity, he'd make a good addition, add that too him being pretty popular, he seems like a good viable option.

Want:99%
Only one other character that's possible that I'd want over him, and we should all know by now that it's Vaati. Pokemon Sapphire was my first Pokemon game and Treecko was my first Pokemon and is still my favorite starter this day. Add that with me just getting a shiny Treecko in a Wonder Trade and Hoenn remake being confirmed, which I'm extremely hyped about, he's one of my most wanted.

Blaziken
Chance:5%
He is another good Pokemon for the 3rd generation and has been promoted some due to his Mega-Evolution, but Charizard probably brings down his chances quite a bit, and Sceptile seems pretty likely to get a Mega-Evolution too, which hinders Blaziken having one being a large plus.

Want:65%
I'd definitely enjoy seeing him, as he's another one of my favorite starters, but if he ends up being a Falcon clone, I wouldn't like that as much.

Predictions
Wario Land Wario: 27%

Kid Icarus Taunt Codecs:42%

Nomination
Vaati x5

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Sceptile: 35% Chance / 85% Want
Blaziken: 30% Chance / 95% Want

(for reference, Swampert is 30% Chance / 80% Want)

While normally something like this would be "too little, too late" (even though this isn't little news in the slightest), this IS GameFreak we are talking about. A lot of us thought X/Y was too new to get a new Pokemon but we got Greninja. I think Greninja's inclusion really shows how much impact GameFreak has over Pokemon's presence on the character roster. I firmly believe that if GameFreak wills a third gen character to be in Smash Bros., then we'll get it. And given how people have wanted these games for... at least 3 years now, this is a massive promotion opportunity that I really doubt that GameFreak will pass by. So in total, I think 95% chance of getting a third gen Pokemon. Sceptile gets the highest chance due to typing standing out, but any of the starters stand out as possible candidates for this situation.

The wants are due to Gen 3 being my first generation so this is a huge nostalgia trip for me right now.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Sceptile

Chance - 7% - Slight increase since GameFreak might prioritize a Hoenn Pokémon now, but he's still irrelevant compared to Blaziken.

Want - 20% - Nothing has changed here.

Blaziken

Chance - 20% - Most popular Hoenn starter, he has a Mega Evolution so he's still out there for GameFreak.

Want - 20% - Same reason as Sceptile, less humanoid and/or serious Pokémon, more small and innocent looking ones.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Yes! Chibi Robo in the Want chart!
Sceptile:
Chance: 33%
I am putting him into serious consideration now.
He... makes sense.
Having a grass type makes sense.
Nintendo representing/hyping up this long-awaited remake makes sense.
He'd tie up the Pokemon perfectly, in a nice green bow.
Electric, Fire/Flying, Water/Dark, Psychic, Fairy/Normal, Fighting/Steel
That's a lot of great types represented, but no iconic grass.
It's a shame gen 3 got skipped in Brawl. We've had characters from every gen except 3 and 5.
And 5 can't get a character just for recency when 6 exists, so 3 wins in that category now.
It really is interesting... and who's to say we can't have an increase? We've always had an increase. 6 to 7 isn't shocking. We've had 2 Pokemon newcomers in every past Smash :p
I never really thought choosing a pokemon character for a type or a gen representation made any sense. But this remake changes things.
There's a reason to pull from Gen 3 now. And with Charizard and Greninja, there's a reason to have a fully evolved grass type.
Things are actually pointing to him now.
Want: 93% If it's not too late, I almost fully want this now: Want: 99%
Really warming up to the idea... a lot.

Blaziken:
Chance: 15%
+ Torchic wasn't shown off as a Pokeball in the reveals, pics, or the trailer
+ One of the first 6 Mega Evolutions for X and Y
+ HOENN CONFIRMED
+ Most popular pick from a skipped gen (Or just in general, popularity)
+ Pokken...?

- Uniqueness is very low....

He has more pointing to him, honestly. The type isn't extremely important. But, I give him a lower chance.
Charizard is our fire Pokemon, there's no need for another and no grass.
And without the fire, Blaziken is just fighting. The uniqueness he has is so low compared to our newcomers so far... and is lower than most Pokemon in general.
However, he's still the #2 in the running for a Pokemon newcomer. With Genesect at #3 (Meloetta and Zoroark were Pokeball Pokemon, but he wasn't and also just had that movie with Mewtwo)
Want: 55%
I like him as a Pokemon more than Sceptile, but I prefer Sceptile over him regarding Smash Bros.

x1 7 Pokemon characters
x1 6 Pokemon characters
x1 6 Mario characters
x1 6 Zelda characters
x1 Savvy Stylist

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Sceptile:
Last time I said 12% working on the proviso that he'd be about about 4% without the Hoenn remakes which I gave a 50/50 on appearing at E3 (I knew it was coming, but didn't know if it would be revealed so early).... that proviso is no longer needed, and moreover it was revealed even earlier than expected which goes on to make me think they're setting up for something, like a full blown Direct about the games (if a short one, but I still expect the Digital Event to be multiple Directs across the week, so ya). With that said the previous 20% if Hoenn remakes where confirmed has in fact increased... alot!

Chance: 45%
Why would they reveal it now if they didn't have something planed? This is something I've been harping on about all Nintendo reveals as it's sure to mean they have some big games in the cupboard, but with Pokémon they tend to do their own thing, so they likely have something of their own in the cupboard... A Pokémon Direct is fairly likely at E3 now (given the multiple Direct model that I'm fairly certain this Digital Event entails, and how much is happening at Nintendo atm), and I put alot of stock into Smash Characters being revealed in these directs... they could still go with a veteran though, but Sceptile's chance has shot up.

Want: 100%
Now I am sure, this is exactly what it needs to be fully deserving of 7 slots.

Blaziken:
Hoenn also helps this guy, and more than some might think... he does have a Mega after all... It would seem odd to miss out on the Grass/Water/Fire trio, and he would be very Falcon... but he's very popular, so he's certainly got a shot.

Chance: 20%
I'm giving Pokémon 66% for a Hoenn starter, with Swampert warming that 1% bench... ultimately it just makes sense, and while Blaziken is the bigger deal, Sceptile is the more fitting smash pick to balance out the types and give a new moveset...

Want: 25%
I'm not a big fan of the guy, in the games or as a Smash character, but I'd accept him being in; he is already an all-star unlike Greninja...

I'm now just waiting for the inevitable Dragon Quest reveals to cause this sort of sway for Slime votes... Although, personally I hope he'll get revealed at E3 anyway meaning you won't have enough time to react...

Oh, and Ryu Hayabusa*5
Almost forgot to nom in all this hype!

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Yes!!!!!!
Sceptile Chance: 36%
I've wanted Sceptile to be in Smash Bros since Brawl, but never thought he had a shot. But with these remakes coming out he has a surprising amount of stuff in his favor. He represents one of the starter trio, one of the most iconic things about Pokemon. He has potential to be unique, which Sakurai loves. Probably has a Mega Evolution coming with this new game. He represents a new game coming out soon, and an extremely requested one at that (And yes, I'm pretty sure GameFreak had plans for it when Sakurai came to them to find out which Pokemon to put in)

I don't see any real reason not to have 6 Pokemon characters, or even 7. Having more then Mario is justified simply because Pokemon has so much more to draw from, it makes sense that they would have the most slots. We had 6 in Brawl, what's one more?

Want: 100%
Like I said before, one of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite Pokemon.

Blaziken: 5%
Blaziken looks more likely then Sceptile on paper, he's more popular, has a Mega Evolution, he's a fighter, etc. But when you dig deeper his chances aren't nearly as good. Forget Charizard, this guy is the Pokemon version of Captain Falcon. You could literally skin Blaziken over Captain Falcon and his moves would make perfect sense.

Want: 0%
Meh. Never had any attachment to Blaziken. My Sceptile was destroying my rivals Blaziken every time I played Emerald :chuckle: He might be cool if Sakurai got creative for him, but I'd rather have Sceptile in so much more that it destroys all desire to get Blaziken in.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Hoenn is confirmed, lets hit the trumpets!

Sceptile
Chances: 6%
Pretty much same as before. Him being a grass starter does little to change the fact that Sakurai hasn't shown to really care about that balance this time around, so I honestly don't think that's a good enough reason for his addition. Plus, while he is popular in his own right, he lacks completely compared to the Pokémon already in, the veterans that are unconfirmed, as well as Blaziken and some other Pokémon from his own generation, the former of which got a Mega Evolution ahead of him. On top of that, we have no clue if these games will even have an effect as they're coming out after the 3DS version, that's not a lot of time to take content from it. There is a small chance I'll admit that maybe there's an influence, but based on what we've seen, there hasn't been anything to hint at the prospect.

So again, he's a character that would be the ideal grass choice, but lacks a lot and the remakes do little to change that.

Want: 90%
And like before, love this line and I would like to see any of those three playable in the game.

Blaziken
Chances: 15%
To be honest, if there's a Gen 3 Pokémon chosen, I'd think it'd be this guy. He is more popular, he is the one that got a Mega and an event for it, and is the one more promoted then any of the other Gen 3 Pokémon. Those merits do matter a lot when picking out Pokémon, and I don't see that changing because he's a fire starter.

Having said that, he's still a bit low on the list though because it's not certain we'll get content from the remakes and there are still other candidates to compete with.

Want: 75%
What can I say? I like flaming chicken.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Sweet, easy day for me.

Sceptile
Chance - 10%
SAME EXACT SCORE AS BEFORE. I can't say I expected it this soon, but I did expect Hoenn to get the remake treatment this generation and in my evaluation of Sceptile I considered how the current popularity of Hoenn would help. Heck, I even considered that when rating Blaziken however long ago ...

Want - 100%
Why would this change? If anything, it would go higher as a result of a Mega Sceptile now being a very real possibility. Now let's all cross our fingers for grass/dragon ...

Blaziken - 10%
I probably rated it higher before Greninja, but now there's different things to consider
On the plus, Blaziken is still a very popular pokemon and is very iconic to the series. It has that over Sceptile, definitely
On the negative, Blaziken is another fire type AND a character that might share just too much in attack potential with Cpt. Falcon. Sceptile loses in popularity, but wins in uniqueness and what it can bring to smash.

Want - 60%
A bit over indifference. Used to be my ideal new pokemon rep, but Greninja changed everything and now I can actually feel comfortable WANTING two of my favorite starters with the knowledge one is already in (Greninja) and the other might actuallly, against all expectations, happen (Sceptile.)
So while I'd be happy with Blaziken, a sizable chunk of me would be a bit sad we didn't get Sceptile instead.

Poor swampert

Nominations
x5 Masked Dedede Alt. Costume

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Sceptile Likelihood: 13.5%
Want: 50%

Blaziken Likelihood: 4%
Want: 35%

Mario Kart 8 Stage x5

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Sceptile:

Chance: 55% (yesterday, 3%)
Hoenn confirmed.
DAT TRINITY THO
Outclasses Blaziken in uniqueness by a long shot. We have a million fire breathers and martial artists on the roster as it is. No grass starter, no grass pokemon, no grass character whatsoever (well, in a really round-about way the Pikmin, because they have flowers on their heads)
The remakes are essentially going to be rearraingements of the X/Y build, very low production time, almost certainly a greenlit project from the beginning of X/Y development, Sakurai knew it was going to happen and had plenty of time to plan accordingly for Smash 4.

Want: 95%
Second favorite starter behind Venusaur, favorite contending pokemon right now. Blastin' mah trumpets for this mofo!

Blaziken
His only strengh in this battle is his popularity. Sakurai is not beholden to popularity, he'll do what's right for the integrity and vision of the roster, which is sceptile. Also, mega-evolitions, Blaziken loses points here, not gain. Sceptile (and Swampert) will be getting new megas, and they will be central fuel for the OR/AS hype train over the next few months. They'll be the center of attention, driving sales for these remakes while Blaziken's will be put in the back seat.

Want: 10%
He's meh. I would appreciate him a lot more than Jigglypuff or Lucario, but not nearly as much as Sceptile or Mewtwo.

Swampert
Chance: 1%
Want: 7%

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Sceptile
Chance: 33%
Big ol' boost. I gave him 8% last time. Gamefreak must have been working on this for a bit...maybe this is part of the reason why Sakurai wasn't allowed to showcase a veteran for X/Y?

Going to add a pro and a con, and delete a con from last time:

Pros:
+ Represents a currently unrepresented generation
+ In doing so doesn't exclude only one of it's generation's trio
+ Bipedal
+ Fairly popular for a grass starter

+ Suddenly recency and advertising potential. Potential Mega Form incoming?

Cons:
- Arguably would be another swordsman type.
- Not exactly got a lot to make it a 'hot topic' Pokemon. No Mega form, not recent, etc.

- His inclusion COULD mean we're not getting both Mewtwo and Jigglypuff back.

5% boost, I'm a fan of Sceptile but I won't be TOO surprised if he doesn't make it in. The additional 5% is due to hype for potential Mega form.

Blaziken
Chance: 12%
Blaziken is more popular, more famous and has a mega form in his favour. Should be perfect right?

Pros:
+ Very popular. Easily outranks all fire starters aside from Charizard.
+ Arguably the poster boy of Hoenn
+ Popularity from competitive metagame
+ Has a mega form already
+ Sudden recency and advertising potential.
+ Bipedal

Cons:
- Another Fire Pokemon
- Less popular than Charizard as a fire type
- Is essentially Captain Falcon V. 3 in the making.
- Inclusion could mean we're not getting both Mewtwo and Jigglypuff back

I feel the Captain Falcon clone in the making is his biggest flaw honestly. In his official artwork he's even doing the Falcon Knee of Death.

Want: 60%
Popular Pokemon should always be the ones that are playable. Blaziken IS popular. I just don't feel he adds anything that Falcon and Charizard don't already do.

Nominations:
Captain Toad X 5

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Sceptile
Is my favourite Grass starter and that says something, I will first try Water types in every game but in the case of generation III Sceptile stole my heart (by the way Sceptile >>> Blaziken), I would love to see Mewtwo or Jigglypuff knocked out by this grass Pokemon and get a spot in the roster.

Blaziken
Chance: 5%
Want: 1%
I hate the chicken.

.n_n.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Sceptile

Compared to a couple days ago, let's see. Well, GameFreak probably had this planned a bit in advance. But that far in advance? I dunno. I mean, probably. If they were still deciding the roster in January, then I'd say definitely it boosts him. But it feels too late, especially without a mega evolution revealed yet.

Since Sceptile was probably the strongest choice for a grass starter (and some chance of Grovyle, but being the only midvolution thing kinda seems weird) already, this only boosts him relative to the others. But if they don't want to do the starter triad thing, then a Hoenn remake seems kinda irrelevant. It doesn't remove Jigglypuff or Mewtwo's inherent advantages. Standalone Charizard and Greninja feels like enough excitement for Pokemon, IMO, so Sceptile isn't necessary.

Sceptile chances: 9%
I boosted him a bit from my previous score of 7%, but he just seems like the best choice of the remaining non-veteran Pokemon. But there are so many, so any individual non-veteran Pokemon can't be that high IMO. The number of possible Pokemon is so high, even if you limit it to the promoted, popular or highly game-relevant (starters, any that have story significance). I do think that type plays a role here, and grass seems the most likely type for us to get out of a newcomer, but he's just the first among a decently large group of plausibles.

Sceptile want: 50%
I'm indifferent to all plausible Pokemon (obviously I don't want Trubbish or blackface Jynx or whatever) but Pikachu and Jigglypuff honestly. Mewtwo is cool too I guess.

Blaziken

Unlike Sceptile, there's a problem. We have a fire Pokemon. A fire starter Pokemon. And we have a fighting Pokemon too. Both of his types are already represented. And we have Captain Falcon who is also a fire-using bird-man :awesome:. He could bring something new, but ultimately he doesn't bring much new that Charizard, Lucario and Greninja (who also uses martial arts) don't have covered. He is popular and his game is being remade, but it seems to me if they want to rep that game, Sceptile/Grovyle are much better choices.

Blaziken chances: 0.5%
But his popularity does give him an outside chance.

Blaziken want: 40%
Redundancy counts against him, otherwise I'd be indifferent.

Predictions:
KI special taunts - 83%
I figure if Star Fox and Snake got them, Sakurai is likely to do them for his baby too. More easter eggs in general seems likely to me. I bet we could get some cool Mega Man easter eggs too.
Wario-Land-ification - 50%
I dunno

Nominations:
Mario Kart 8 stage x5

Not that I don't like Chibi Robo, but 40-65%? Dang guys, I feel like a lot of you are either overrating the heck out of the tiny thing or you're not really thinking about just how likely 40% is.
Has Dillon's fate taught people nothing?

Personally I think Chibi Robo is in a very similar position, which is right smack in the middle of Assist Trophy territory. Given Sakurai's comments about trying to include as many of them as possible, Chibi-Robo seems quite likely to become one. And unlike for some other characters, it feels more generous, like it could be a stepping stone (like it was for Little Mac) if his series grows between Smash 4 and Smash 5. Playable? I rather doubt it.

Dillon and others were competition for Chibi-Robo, yes, but I think that the whole group of similarly situated characters is greatly overrated.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Sceptile: 2%
The remakes are NOT going to raise his chances overnight. The games are simply too late to affect the roster in anyway. We haven't got content from games like Tropical Freeze and Super Mario 3d World which were released before Smash 4.

Want: 65%
Why not? He was my starter of choice in Gen III.

Blaziken: 15%
I don't see the remakes increasing his chances even if they were announced earlier. He already has a mega-evolution, and is important enough in Pokkén Fighters (which seems to be a reality.)

Want: 45%
Eh. We already have a fire pokémon, and while I do realise that Blaziken would have a completely different style than Charizard, some type variety would be appreciated.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
On a note of what kind of late content we might see...

Given that the Wii U version is coming later and that Wii U games have been around for less time, one thing I might expect is to see some Wii U stages that were added relatively late. Items or ATs are also possible, especially given Sakurai's comments about the ATs in the Wii U and 3DS not necessarily matching exactly. So a SM3DW, Mario Kart 8 or Tropical Freeze stage (it seems strange that we still haven't seen a DK stage) is very possible... playable characters from games only even announced this late in the development? Doubtful.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
The thing about Sceptile and Greninja is that we're talking about pokemon games that have clearly been on the backburner for a while. The switch to 3D in Pokemon is huge and bound to take a long time of development, so for them to be able to release both new gen pokemon games within the year they are announced means they've been working on them for a long while.

It's also why I think SM3DW and Tropical Freeze content would make sense since those games also were ready in the same year they were announced (with DK:TF then having a slight delay.) We just haven't gotten that sort of content yet given Mario Galaxy deserved limelight too and ... idk why we still have so little for Donkey Kong, it's kind of fishy when you think about it.

Also, I would argue that the Wii U coming out later is also to iron out connectivity features with the 3DS version, but that's a concept to rate later. This game might go beyond the release of the 3ds smash bros is that's the case.

PandaPornStar

Smash Cadet
NNID
PandaCrossing
3DS FC
3179-7086-3141
Sceptile
Chances: 20%
Want: 45%

Blaziken
Chances:20%
Want:0.01%

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Sceptile And Blaziken:
Chance: 10%
Not too big of an increase imo. Remember, there is still Plusle and Minun:troll:.
Want: 40%
I love the pokemon series, I just would much rather see Mewtwo and Jigs back.
Keeping my predictions from yesterday.
Nom Vaati re-rate x5

Last edited:

pandajedi

Smash Cadet
Sceptile
Chance: 15% (up 3 points)
I don't know if these Hoenn remakes were able to have any impact on the roster deciding phase of development, but Gamefreak is in charge of Pokemon characters so they may have known what they were doing that early. Even then, I don't know if they would choose Sceptile to represent Gen 3 if they even wanted to represent it.
I'd still prefer Grovyle

Blaziken
He's much more popular and marketted, but I don't see him working with the rest of the roster at all. Charizard is the fire type, and I don't know, I just feel like Blaziken would be pretty redundant.
Want: 0%
If we have to get a Gen 3 rep, let it be a grass type, otherwise I don't want any more competition for Mewtwo to get in the way.
EDIT:
Nominations: Veteran downgraded to AT x5

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Sceptile
chance: 75%
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69182974
The only thing stopping him is just how many reps Pokemon has, if it has 6, I will consider him the most likely character to fit that spot. But I do honestly expect only 5. Something I only said later in this is that Firered/leafgreen did give the Kanto starters the importance to get in back in brawl, the question is if these are too recent or if Game Freak told Sakurai of them beforehand.

want: 90%, He is the coolest of the gen 3 starters and anything is better than another gen 1 pokemon.

Blaziken
chance/want: 5%
Both Charizard and Capt. Falcon make him redundant, I like him but not as much as the others.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Sceptile: 10%. Remakes are a thing (Oh the anvil of irony!), so a slight boost.
Want: 35%. Still attached.
Now, if you don't like controversy, look away.
Blaziken: 60%. All honesty, I think he's in the game.
+ Remakes
+ Mega Evolution
+ Popularity
+ Pokken (?)
So yeah... More likely now.
Want: 45%. Attached.
Mewtwo X5

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Feels incomplete without Grovyle, so I'm just going to rate him anyway. As for the timing, the games are releasing just six months from now, it's not like they're rushing the announcement out for Smash or anything, so I don't think that really affects anything. Moving on!

Sceptile - 15%
This seems like the most obvious choice now if they wanted to complete the starter trio. Beyond being a grass type and a starter final evolution, Sceptile represents the third of the three most important Pokemon generations as of SSB4's release (the most recent in Gen 6, the original with Gen 1, and now the most recent remake with Gen 3). It's even liable to get a Mega Evolution to work with since only Blaziken having one among the Hoenn starters would be more than a little awkward. Knowing what we know now, it seems like it fits the puzzle so to speak. The only reason Sceptile doesn't get a higher rating is that it's got two other notable competitors from Gen 3 plus the rest of the Pokemon franchise to contend with, nor do we know that fitting these patterns actually helps it out. Will be very curious to see if it pans out and Sceptile ends up a sixth/seventh Pokemon rep.
Want - 50% - It ain't Blaziken, but I can respect it's inclusion if that's the way things work out.

Grovyle - 10%
This one's a bit odd, but it's an important consideration because it, like Sceptile, seems to fit the puzzle but with two differences: it's not a final evolution, and it is arguably more popular courtesy of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon in particular. Also, if I may add a bit of personal bias in this doesn't-count-for-anything rating, it just seems like Grovyle has a stronger, cleaner, more iconic design. Not really as strong a chance as Sceptile, but an important consideration nonetheless.
Want - 75% - Still ain't Blaziken, but a step in the right direction IMO.

Blaziken - 15%
In the immediate post-Charizard/Greninja world of SSB4, Blaziken felt like it was basically deconfirmed, with only Sceptile or Grovyle having any real chance from Gen 3 thanks to being Grass starters. Now, in a post-Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire world, Blaziken feels right back on the map, and even seems like it might have been explicitly set up for inclusion. It's undeniably the most popular of the Hoenn starters, at least among final evolutions (I won't get into the Mudkip meme), and not only did Blaziken get a Mega Evolution in X/Y, the only non Gen 1 starter to get one, but Torchics were handed out as a special event to all early buyers of X/Y and a Mega Blaziken has made recurring cameos in the X/Y anime. That's a ton of promotion for a Pokemon that isn't otherwise important to Gen 6, to the degree that it isn't otherwise obtainable without trading/Pokemon Bank, and even if we consider it as promotion for the Hoenn remakes, it doesn't quite explain why Blaziken was singled out in particular and why it's getting such major backing...unless, of course, this is all prepping Blaziken for a Smash debut, in which case it promotes not one but two major Nintendo releases extremely well. Granted, it's still not a Grass type so it doesn't truly complete the starter trio and thus I can't in good faith rate it above Sceptile, but then again, if Sceptile or even Grovyle were en route for Smash, why didn't they get a Mega Evolution or otherwise enjoy the promotion that Blaziken got instead? It would be a bizarre oversight to be sure. If I were a gambling man, this seems like a long-shot well worth betting on, because even if it's still very risky, it's got serious potential to pay off.
Want - 100% - My most wanted Pokemon for Smash by far.

That's a whole 40% for Hoenn starters, which might be a bit generous given the franchise and the number of presumptive reps for that franchise, but the timing of these remakes is just right for them to have an impact on SSB4, and recency has clearly helped out in past Smashes, especially for Pokemon. Very curious to see if any of this speculation pans out.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Sceptile Chance: 10% (previously 1%)

The remakes simply made him possible. And by possible, I mean he's only going to be chosen if Game Freak forces it onto Sakurai. I highly doubt that these remakes will actually have any impact on the roster whatsoever.

Also, we're probably going to have to re-rate this in a couple of weeks after people start to calm down after this announcement. People are getting worked up over something that probably means very little when you look at the grand scheme of things.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Sceptile
Chance: 25%

Well nothing to say here except that the remakes give a pretty good boost from my last rating. He could complete the starter triangle, being fire grass and water. Could be cool, but Pokemon is something Im generally indifferent to (although I do really want Mewtwo, I dont mind if he misses again.)

I will say that the timing of these remakes are certainly interesting. Whether or not it actually means anything towards his chance is another story, but regardless, I believe this does give him a slight boost. Remakes do have an impact when it comes to pokemon (fire red and leaf green coming out before Brawl, coincidence? Possibly.)

Blaziken

Flaming chicken. Thats awesome. But I have the feeling that Sceptile is the more likely pick for diversity. While Charizard and Blaziken dont have many similarities, 2 fire types seems a little redundant.

Predictions
KI Taunts: 82%
Warioland Wario: 43%

Nominations:
Mewtwo x5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sceptile: 0%

Blaziken: 10%

Keep in mind that these don't take into account the possibility of character DLC happening. However, I'm confident that Sceptile is not getting in regardless.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Sceptile:
Chance: 8%
Want: 10%

Blaziken:
Want: 13%

Neither are my favorite starters. I think they're just ok. I don't think the announcement of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire will affect the roster. And I seriously doubt Sakurai really cares about the starter trio.

Nominations:
Paper Mario x5

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
Sceptile
The recent remake boosted his chances up. We already have a Water and Fire starter so it's possible albeit slim.
Want: 30% eh

Blaziken
Chance: 5% We already have a fire starter so no
Want: 30% eh again

Nominations: Masked Man

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Sceptile
Chance - 5%
Want - 0%

Blaziken
Chance - 0% won't ever happen. Charizard fills the fire type spot pretty nicely already.
Want - 0% I had to look him up. Truly awful character artwork by the way.

Just bring back Jigglypuff. And Mewtwo to please the fans.

Last edited:

FinalSynthesis

Banned via Warnings
Sceptile
Chance: 25%
Hoenn remake clearly helps him. This really all depends on whether or not GameFreak pushed for Sceptile o be included. If he is to be included, he certainly has been in planning for months already. Plus, his play style does seem different enough from Charizard and Greninja, and is much different than Ivysaur, whom he would be replacing.
Want: 65%
I worry that he could be a boring character, but I would rather see him in than not.

Blaziken
Chance: 3%
He is probably more popular than Sceptile, and if Charizard hadn't been brought back for SSB4, I would certainly rank Blaziken above Sceptile, but Charizard's inclusion makes him a virtual impossibility.

Want: 20%
Doesn't seem like he would fit well with the new roster, and I feel like he would have a good chance of being unoriginal.

D

Deleted member

Glad that we are rating them now!
HOENN HYPE!!!
Sceptile and Blaziken have been added to the Directory.
If you have rated these two, check to see what you've said on their days!

Sceptile
Chance:
5%

I don't think that Gen III will get a representative as that time has come and gone; unless Game Freak has Gen III remakes in the works, I bet that they want to stick with Greninja as our newcomer.
Funny how I said this.
I'll give it a slight boost in chance.
Gen III remakes is definitely something but I don't see this affect Sceptile's chances too much unless Sakurai really knew about them prior.
I can't give Sceptile the benefit of being a grass starter. It would be nice to finish a trio, but something like that isn't really needed. Also, during Gen III, Sceptile wasn't heavily graced with promotion and popularity like Blaziken was. Though, I can see Sakurai choose Sceptile as it could be a bit more unique than Blaziken.
SOMEONE might pull for Sceptile. Also, on the topic of Grovyle, I would also give it a 5%.
I can't say that I would be hyped for Sceptile. Seeing as how Sceptile is now an option... I am a bit indifferent. Sceptile wasn't my Pokemon of choice for Emerald; Blaziken was. Also, my grass type of choice for Gen III was Breloom.
I would honestly give Grovyle a higher want since I have a friend who loves Grovyle and I would love to see his reaction if he makes it in.

Blaziken
Chance:
5%

A two percent drop.
Blaziken was blessed with many things; popularity, a Mega Evolution, and promotion. However, with the rise of Greninja and solo Charizard and the return of Lucario, I think that Blaziken doesn't stand too much of a strong chance.
In terms of uniqueness, we've seen what Blaziken could potentially do. We have the fighting type Lucario and the fire type Charizard... I can't see Blaziken get in as both of these Pokemon possibly took away what could make Blaziken unique.
Regardless, I can see Blaziken be the choice for Gen III, though I can see it not get chosen if Sakurai wanted to go for a unique character, which Sceptile could be.
Want: 15%
Surprised about my low want? I just mentioned that Blaziken was my starter of choice for Gen III.
I love Blaziken as a Pokemon. It's so freaking useful and I can't wait to use it again in Omega Ruby! In a Smash sense, however, Blaziken wouldn't be very exciting. I would be slightly happy as I have a soft spot for this Pokemon as I've used it, but I would be disappointed as I rather would have a character that could potentially be more exciting.

Kid Icarus Smash Taunts Prediction: 30.14%
Wario Land Wario Prediction: 15.39%

Nothing has changed.

Nominations: Gematsu Leak is Real 10x

Speaking of nominations, I tallied up the nominations when @ Groose Groose was unable to. So, here are the current nominations as well as the nominations from Marshal's and Chibi-Robo's Day. I did not tally any of the nominations that people are giving right now.
x47 Vaati Re-rate
X40 Prince Fluff (Kirby)
X40 Mario Kart 8 Stage
X36 Flynn (Shin Megami Tensei)
X35 Sheriff Rerate
X34 Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
x31 Spyro (Spyro)
X30 Doctor Lobe (Big Brain Academy)
X30 Professor Layton Rerate
x26 Eirkia (Fire Emblem)
x26 Barbara (Music Game)
X25 Slime Rerate
X25 Bowser Land
X25 Halcandra Stage
x25 Pirate Ship
x25 Micaiah Rerate
x22 Medusa Rerate
x20 Mallo (Pushmo)
x20 Marina (Mischief Makers)
x20 Gaius (Fire Emblem)
X20 Protoman (Mega Man)
X20 Lucas (The Wizard)
x20 Daroach (Kirby)
X20 Kiddy Kong (Donkey Kong)
x20 Zip (FlingSmash)
x20 Mewtwo Rerate
x19 “X” Protagonist (X)
x17 Savvy Styist (Style Savvy)
X15 Dedede Arena
X15 Dry Bowser (Super Mario)
x15 Petey Piranha (Super Mario Bros
x15 Heracross (Pokemon)
x15 Kid Icarus Dog (Kid Icarus)
X15 Three Fire Emblem Characters
x15 Four or More Third Parties
x15 Third Party Assist Trophy
X15 Fawful Rerate
x15 Lanky Kong (Donkey Kong)
x15 Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)
x15 Gematsu Leak is Real
x15 Masked Dedede Alt. Costume
x15 Crono (Chrono Trigger)
X12 Peppy “Barrel Roll” Hare (Star Fox)
x11 Six Mario Characters
x10 All Brawl Veterans
X10 Chrom [Stance-Based Moveset]
X10 Porky Rerate
x10 Two “Retro” Newcomers [Little Mac is not Retro]
X10 Lor Starcutter
X10 Leif (Fire Emblem)
x10 Akari Hayami (Wave Race)
x10 Batallion Wars Rifle Grunts (Batallion Wars)
x10 Commander Shepard (Mass Effect)
x10 Mallow (Super Maro)
x10 Godot (Ace Attorney)
x10 Billy Hatcher (The Giant Egg)
x10 Captain Toad (Super Mario)
x9 Tails Rerate
x6 Jill (Drill Dozer)
x5 Fire Emblem Newcomer (Not Chrom)
X5 Medli NPC
x5 Paper Mario Rerate
X5 Dark Matter Rerate
x5 Venasaur (Pokemon)
x5 Captain Syrup Rerte
X5 King Boo Rerate
x5 Veteran Downgraded to Assist Trophy
X5 Toadsworth (Super Mario)
x5 Post-Release Patches
x5 Kumatora (Mother/Earthbound)
X5 Tony (Earthbound)
x5 Mr. Resetti (Animal Crossing)
x5 Hades Rerate
x5 Dr. Eggman (Sonic the Hedgehog)
x5 Star Man (Pro Wrestling)
x5 King Hippo (Punch-Out!)
x5 Pokemon Series Newcomer
X5 Galacta Knight (Kirby)
x5 Wreck-It Ralph! (Wreck-It Ralph!)
x5 Veteran Downgraded to AT
x2 Isa Rerate
x1 Bomberman Rerate
x1 Yuga (Zelda)
x1 Ravio (Zelda)
x1 Frederick AT (Fire Emblem)
x1 Hilda (Zelda)
x1 Birdo AT

Burigu

Smash Ace
Sceptile
Chance 16%
  • Hoenn confirmed helps but not that lot, I am still of the idea we might not get a grass type, you can point out how fitting is, or how unfair is to not have one, you can say it makes sense and I kind of agree, yet we are talking about Sakurai here, and not some predectible developer, so better keep realistic.
  • Charizard and Greninja are dual type Sceptile disconfirmed :upsidedown:
  • Jigglypuff still exist
  • Sakurai again

Want 25%
  • I have played every generetion to date and I don't hold any starter with that much nostalgia, even less for gen 3 (great gen) just even less nostalgia than gen 1 or 2.
  • I don't find MANDATORY to hava all 3 starter types represented, but at the same time I don't care if we get them
Blaziken
Chance 1%
  • Other Fire type is in
  • Other Fighting type is in
Please don't use the SEMICLONE of C. Falcon as evidence against him doesn't make sense, so a bird and fire = no other posible moves aside C. Falcon clone? you subestimate Sakurai

Want 26%
  • My starter for that gen
Pit SMASH taunt I don't remember my prediction yesterday so 42% this time

Nominations
Medusa rerate x5

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Sceptile Chance: 15% It seems that the tables have turned now, but I'm still a bit skeptical on it actually happening.
Sceptile Want: 10%
Blaziken Chance: 15%
Blaziken Want: 50%

Nominations: x5 Ayumi Tachibana

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Sceptile

Chance - 9.5% - Just a bit of a bump. Nothing major, but I kinda rated him high in the first place.

Want - 55% - Yep, same as two days ago.

Blazikin

Chance - 0% - That's right, I'm decreasing my score. We already have a Fire type and a Fighting type on the roster, and she's similar to a few others as well. I think at this point she'll be skipped over as being too redundant.

Want - 48% - Feh. Same as last time.

Keeping my predictions the same.

Nominations
Halcandra Stage X5

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Sceptile 8% He is not as popular as Blaziken, ruby and saphire remakes doesn't help him that much and considering that mewtwo and jiggs are still way more likely than him then he has little chances at all
Blaziken 10% He is more popular than sceptile

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Sceptile - 2%

Almost positive he's not happening. Not over Mewtwo and/or Jiggs. This is quite late even by Pokemon's Smash standards, so unless Sakurai knew about it beforehand or Gamefreak pushes him in, which I doubt will happen..yeah, I'm confident he won't be in.

I don't think the whole "water-grass-fire" starters thing holds any water either.

Want - 5%

Soooo many Pokemon I would rather have in first, Mewtwo back (Jiggs too) Squirtle and Ivysaur back, Plusle & Minun, Blaziken even Grovyle simply because I like his design more.

Blaziken - 10%

Popoularity and promotion could help him, but Charizard pretty much killed his chances.

Want - 60%

Would be pretty awesome IMO.

Kid Icarus Taunts Prediction - 63.55%

Tough call on this one.

Wario Land Wario Prediction - 17.20%

Another tough call, though a bit less tough than the above.

Plusle & Minun x5

Eh, why not?

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Yay :D Also, if Greninja wasn't a thing, Swampert would still have a considerable chance... at least I'd give him a good want rating xD

Sceptile's Chance: 11% For Sakurai to consider the guy, he probably would have had to known that pokemon was getting a Hoenn remake wayyy before it was actually announced, (granted, that's feasible.) Sceptile easily makes the most sense as a grass starter because other than chesnaught (who has his game already represented in form of Greninja) he's the only grass starter that just stands on two feet (I mean, Ivysaur worked, and I'm still going to be nominating Venusaur for the hell of it, but that's still an obvious advantage.) But do I really trust Sakurai to feel the need to fully represent grass starters? Hmm... Well it's literally the only reason he's getting any consideration at all (at least from me.) But still, I can easily trust Sakurai to just be a **** and give us nothing I mean, who cares about grass starters? :/ (well, I do care, but still.) The only real problem is that Greninja actually takes away what would make Sceptile unique to some extent. Oh so we have a quick and reasonably hard hitting fighter who uses blade like weapons that reflect on their typing? Leaf Blade is pretty much signature to Sceptile, even if other pokemon can learn it. The fact that greninja uses those ****ing water katanas undermines his chances a little bit. I mean, they could figure out how to make it into a special but still.
Want: 70% Sceptile's a cool pokémon, and also my favorite starter in the Hoenn region. The only thing that holds me back from wanting to rate him higher is the moveset potential issue. He has it, but differentiating himself from Greninja is going to be a bit challenging.

Blaziken: 4% He's another one of the already represented fire starters. I know he's popular, and I know he's more popular than sceptile, but seriously, I simply can't see any other good reasons. And popularity simply isn't enough when you're basically outclassed by the guy that stole your main niche =P
Want: 0% **** blaziken, and **** Game Freak for giving Blaziken that stupid ass mega evolution that he didn't need, HE WAS ALREADY ****ING BROKEN. Also, it doesn't help that he has less potential for a moveset that stands out than sceptile.

Nomz:
Venusaur x5 because wynaut?

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Sceptile
50% Chance
100% Want
Blaziken