• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Roster Satisfaction 2%
It could go up but the polling is being done with the assumption of the Dark Pit group being the final characters. Of course I assume there will be more, but who knows what they will be. They're not taken into consideration.

Game Direction 35%
The speed sounds decent, and I like what they've done to Bowser and nerfing MK into oblivion. Leaks point to Ganon and Wario being unchanged, though, and the rumored super buffs to Sheik and Zamus sound bad.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Roster Satisfaction- 80%
Includes some great additions that expand the series, but some of the big names that were left out are pretty glaring. I also don't like how characters from that aren't either recent or from the 80s have been forgotten. Also, no :popo:.

Game Direction Satisfaction- 90%
I like what I see. I like the art style and playing speed compared to Brawl, and I love all the attention to details that has been put in. There is no SSE to waste time, and Sakurai is providing avenues for both casual and hardcore. I could go on. Again, I just hope that the material (like stage and trophies) isn't all from recent games (I'm looking at you, Brawl).

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Roster Satisfaction: 80%
Needs more Vaati and Snake. :awesome:

I do really like the inclusion of Lucina, Dark Pit, and Palutena though.

Game Direction Satisfaction: 95%
Definitely going in the right direction, with it being faster than Brawl, no tripping, and an increase in music and characters, however, we do need more stages, but I'm going to assume that there will be more.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Roster satisfaction

Newcomers

• Mega Man was my most wanted, and he was handled very well (Yellow Devil on the other hand is not my favorite thing)
  • Other newcomers that I am positive about: Shulk, Robin, Palutena, WFT, Rosalina, Greninja
  • Especially glad we got Robin instead of Chrom
  • Still need to see more of Bowser Jr and (especially) Duck Hunt to judge them. I'm not that big into Bowser Jr, but I like the direction they went with him.
  • Duck Hunt is a pretty good choice for a retro and is a game that tens of millions of people have owned making it much less obscure than Ice Climbers or R.O.B.
  • Don't care much about Pac-Man
  • Mii Fighters were not wanted, but they seem ok. I would definitely trade all three move sets for 2 different newcomers. The level of effort that went into them is totally unnecessary - three move 36 special moves? A large variety of outfits? Different sizes getting different properties? And after all that, you can't even play them against random people online? I understand Nintendo's worries, but give us default Miis or something! When playing With Anyone, since customization is off, you simply play as a generic Mii, using the default move set and outfit and size. Who is going to be more upset about this than they are about not being able to use them at all?
  • Lucina and Dark Pit are boring clones. They might not have taken that much work, but it wasn't a trivial amount - they still needed to be balanced and they likely got at least a couple unique moves (Lucina's taunts are different, for example). I likely would've preferred that work being spent on other things, even if it was only further improving and revamping the other characters.
  • A big negative is the fact that we're (presumably) not getting any character from this set: Ridley, K Rool, Dixie Kong, Isaac or Simon Belmont. DK deserves a newcomer. Ridley is one of the most requested since Melee and we were inexplicably teased for him for over a year - a move that could only end in major disappointment if he's not playable. Isaac would be cool. Simon Belmont is a pipe dream, so I don't begrudge him not being there, I knew it wouldn't happen... but if he were added I would definitely forgive the absence of the others.

Veterans

• Characters that needed buffs and new moves are mostly getting them. Changes are generally in the direction of reflecting more canonical moves.
  • Characters that needed nerfs are mostly getting them (*cough* Meta Knight *cough*)
  • Splitting Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS was a good move as I rarely switched and it added new moves for Zelda/Sheik
  • Not sure why Pit and ZSS, for example, got such a huge revamp while Toon Link and Ganondorf seem to be just about as cloney as before. Hell, just giving them a couple new moves would've been great. Toon Link could get the Grappling Hook instead of the Hookshot, Ganondorf could get the Dead Man's Volley. Ganondorf may have gotten something new though, so I won't assume he didn't for sure.
  • I prefer Wolf to Falco. He's more unique and I like playing him better. So I'm not happy about him being cut.
  • I prefer to play as Lucas over Ness, but I prefer Ness as a character due to Mother 3 being JP only. While I understand Earthbound being a tiny series, I would definitely prefer Lucas to getting the clone trio or so much Mii Fighter content.
  • Sad to see Squirtle and Ivysaur go, but I totally understand them being cut once transformations were removed.
  • Don't care much about Snake. Yeah, he's a unique move set, but he never belonged in Smash and I didn't play him much personally.
  • I'm neutral on Dr. Mario's return. I preferred to play as him in Melee, but buffing Mario would've been adequate anyway.
  • Mewtwo not returning doesn't matter to me much personally, but as one of the most requested and one that they gave some hope to people for, his absence still makes the roster a little more disappointing.

Other
  • CSS is not as well-organized as other entries, assuming the leak had the full roster.
  • More elaborate and fan-pleasing palette swaps and alternate costumes are a very welcome addition
  • Custom moves seem cool and may help make up for some absences in the roster
  • DLC might fix some of these issues. We don't have any confirmation about DLC, but given what we're seeing with MK8 it seems more likely than before. Launching some DLC that ties in with the Wii U launch also would make sense. Perhaps adding additional characters that aren't available for the 3DS for a little while? Or you get a free download to 3DS if you buy the Wii U version? There are various ways to use them to help promote the Wii U game. Even if that's not done, DLC is a real possibility a few months after launch.
All in all, it's quite a good roster. We got some pretty good newcomers, some great changes to some veterans, new moves and costumes for characters. However, I have to deduct points for ignoring DK, revamping characters like ZSS that didn't need it instead of some that did, spending so much effort on Miis while cutting some worthy characters, and hyping Ridley up for nothing.

These issues of course will disappear if there are extra characters on the roster or DLC.

Roster satisfaction: 83%
It looks to be a great roster but I can't give out 100% when it lacks a few things that would make it as close to perfect as I could expect. Of course, my view might change if more is revealed and once I get to actually play it.

Game Direction

Game engine:
Well, basically all I wanted was a return to a more Melee-like speed while retaining some of the changes from Brawl. I didn't want wavedashing which is complicated/difficult to input and not necessary. More options out of dash or roll would obviate the need for it anyway. L-cancelling is pointless as there's basically no reason to ever not do it.

It seems to have mostly delivered on those points. It is faster than Brawl, although possibly not as fast as I would've liked. The gameplay I've seen so far has looked good but I can't really evaluate until I try it out myself. They have improved some of the landing lag issues from Brawl (while some moves have more, I've heard that others have very little). Dodge rolls seem to be more useful. There are also new mechanics added that look interesting. I approve of removing chain grabs. And tripping is gone, thank god!

So the overall game engine seems almost sure to be an improvement on Brawl. It even looks like I might like it better than Melee (not that I hated Brawl's like some).

Other things...
Items - huge list of items. It's pretty crazy. But this doesn't matter that much to me as I won't play with them that much, and often when I do I will turn off the more crazy/swingy items.
Stages - I would've preferred less gimmicks. But we do have more to see for the 3DS. Final Destination variants are a cool addition. But ruining some stages with stage bosses and then dismissing the removal of stage hazards as silly is a bit ridic. Sure, removing all of them is too complicated. But at least removing stage enemies like Yellow Devil, Koume & Kotake, the Dark Lord, Pokemon on N's Castle, etc. would be a very welcome addition because they come in and actively attack you and disrupt the match far more than things moving around or stationary/more predictable damaging stage elements like spikes. Yellow Devil seems to come down far too frequently, coming down multiple times in the 2 minute matches we saw! At least we should've seen a couple more tournament viable stages.
Online - looks like it will be a lot better than Brawl's, but they're still too reluctant to follow the lead of other online games when it comes to ratings and so forth... I also really hope matchmaking isn't based on Global Smash Power.
For Glory - This is one thing where I'm a little annoyed. The only major criticism I have here is this: ADD BATTLEFIELD. It's almost like a parody of competitive players. Hell, once you've done the work for Final Destination variants, adding a Battlefield variant would be pretty easy too! (You could even call them like, α Gerudo Valley). You've already got platform designs for most of them - you could even leave out the ones that you don't if there's not time. I just hope this doesn't mean the balance is overcentralized on FD...
Besides that, a worry is that I'm not sure what the deal is with timed vs. stock matches in With Anyone. 2 minute timed matches seem not particularly well-suited for For Glory mode. A lot of matches will end in a tie/Sudden Death. And a final worry is whether there's any ability to choose free-for-all vs. 1v1 matches. It would seem weird to have a For Glory mode but not allow you to specify 1v1 matches.
Smash Run - this looks like a cool inclusion... but other single player modes? Are there any? No event matches? No break the targets? I really hope there's more here.

Game direction satisfaction: 87%
I can't say 100% until I get my hands on the game. I simply can't know that it's 100% or 99% without playing. I don't get my expectations up that high on games. But I like the large majority of what I see and they have addressed most of the problems with Brawl (even if they haven't gone far enough in some cases). Stages and a seeming lack of 1-player modes are an issue for the 3DS version. But the core engine and roster matters most, and those look very solid.

I would complain about Pic of the Day stuff, but that's a marketing issue, not inherent to the game. There were some pretty bad missteps in the marketing, if you ask me. The main ones being: closed-door Pac-Man reveal, hyping Ridley, Japan-only Direct for Shulk's reveal, not spreading out character/stage/item reveals evenly enough, and anti-hype pre-launch menu lead up.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Satisfaction time
-Game direction: 95% Loving how the gameplay looks so far, and overall seems fun as always.
-Roster: 95%
Pretty balanced roster, it only needs more Wolf.
-Shrek: 100% I thought love was only true in fairy tales.

descarga (2).jpg
Also as i side note, i would want to thank Groose for his great job in this game's direction all these months, keep up the good work!

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Roster Satisfaction: 85% I love a lot of the characters they added, but I'm kinda unhappy with others. Miis took too much time and they don't even use Mii game moves. Bowser Jr. is the most unnecessary thing in the world when other franchises are struggling to even get one character. It's also a bummer that most of the "Gamecube Era" seems to have gotten the short end of the stick, playable character-wise. No Wars rep? Custom Robo? Chibi Robo? Golden Sun? Is every Smash game going to go by with all of those franchises that didn't hit it quite big as being doomed to assists while up and coming stars flood the newcomer lists along with a handful of forgotten NES favorites? I know Smash is a fantastic Nintendo advertiser, but this newcomer list feels the most commercialized yet. That said, again, I am quite happy with most of the characters, despite some of my favorites not being in and solid verterans potentially being cut.

Game direction satisfaction: 93% With the exceptions of the ginormous blast zones and the loss of break the targets, I have very little complaints with how this game looks. Graphics look great (with the unfortunate exception of 3DS DK), gameplay looks fun, items are crazier than ever, stages...oooo actually a gotta dock a few more points for the large amount of stage ports. I should have seen it coming, but it still kinda sucks. Smash run will be the greatest, there's surely other things we don't quite know about...I'm ready.

waichingliu81

Smash Cadet
roster satisfaction - 95% : i am liking all of the characters announced so far. i have no qualms against the characters. although i wished lesser known nintendo franchises and series got a look in as well. where's the advance wars, golden sun characters? ray from custom robo, goku the monkey, captain rainbow, mike jones of startropics, Donbe of Shin Onigashima?

game direction satisfaction - 97%: again i have little criticism in this department.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Roster happiness

90%

Everyone on the leak roster is a lot of characters i want and i will add the 10% once/hopefully we get mewtwo and ridley.

Game direction

100%

I have ben a smash fan since the beginning

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
It's all over. The final roster has been revealed, and the games are already spreading all across Japan. Speculation is finished, and it's only a matter of hours until the mods lock this and a bunch of other threads. I could calculate the scores from the last day that we've been doing, but that doesn't matter much at this point--I'm sure everything has changed in just a few brief hours.

On that note, I say it's time...

GAME OVER

FAREWELL FROM GROOSE

Ah, one of my favorite quotes ever. It's so applicable to the current situation, too. See, I've made a Rate Their Chances Group, and I want all of you to come and join it. And if all of my regulars don't join it, then I'll get pretty angry. So just click up on the groups tab, click on the "Rate Their Chances Community" group in the Smash Wii U section, and petition to join. If I recognize you (and I know everyone who has posted here), then I'll let you join.

We have a friend code swap, a social, and we're going to get some games going on in there eventually. So, come on. Join us.

If you can't join us for some reason, PM Groose and have patience. He'll add you the next time he logs on. Which will be everyday. As usual.

@FalKoopa

@ Gunla Gunla
@Swampasaur
Can we have a lock on this baby, please?

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Lock Granted, @ Groose Groose .

It's been an honor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom