• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
King K. Rool

Chances - 5%

He hasn't been in any games recently which i think hinders his chances alot. Don't see them putting in a character who hasn't been used as a Donkey Kong Villain in quite a while. Also, the Kritters in Smash Run don't really mean much.... they could be there just cause they are generic enemies of Donkey Kong and Diddy.... who are playable in the game already.

As GameXplain pointed out. The Tiki Buzzs also appear in smash run also, so does that indicate that Lord Fredrik Tiki Tong [Edit for all you know-it-alls! :mad088:] (boss from recent Donkey Kong game) is going to be playable?? Its not really good evidence to use imo

Want - 50%

Meh... i kinda like Lord Fredrik more.... as much as i loved the old games. Though i don't think either will make it.

Dixie Kong

Chances - 55%

Has been considered by Sakurai in Brawl and has been in the new Tropical Freeze game.... A good shot but i don't know if it's concrete

She wouldn't be hard to make either considering Diddy's model is similar to hers.

Want - 50%

Cranky Kong

Chance - 10%

though he was in the new game and playable in that one. I don't see it happening... DK series don't really need many reps in Smash.... and hes overshadowed by Dixie if they were to add another DK character

Want - 0%

"Old-timers like you ride the bench" - Slippy Toad

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
uh @ Groose Groose

I didn't knew ridley had two chances for him
LOL. I fixed that.

Anyways,
King K. Rool: 85%
The presence of Kremlings in the game did it for me. It's their first major appearance in years, and it clearly points to K. Rool.

Want: 100%
He deserves to be in, being the primary antagonist of the DKC series. As Sakurai said in the direct "Smash Bros. gathers the greatest Nintendo characters of all time".

Dixie Kong: 65%
Another long running and important character in the DK games. She's relevant again thanks to Tropical Freeze, but her not being revealed around the time the game was released hurt her chances.

I believe she is a Nintendo all-star, and deserves to be in as well.

Cranky Kong: 10%
He's said to be the original Donkey Kong who fought Mario in the arcade era, but he's too old to fight :troll:. Anyways, he's overshadowed by Dixie and K. Rool, and DK isn't a prime candidate to get 5 characters.

Want: 50%
He would be a hilarious addition. But I'm not too big on him.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
As GameXplain pointed out. The Tiki Buzzs also appear in smash run also, so does that indicate that Lord Fredrik (boss from recent Donkey Kong game) is going to be playable?? Its not really good evidence to use imo
I agree, it's not, because Lord Fredrik doesn't command Tiki Buzzs.

Last time I make a silly comment in here, I promise.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
I agree, it's not, because Lord Fredrik doesn't command Tiki Buzzs.

Last time I make a silly comment in here, I promise.
Why stop? It's entertaining :laugh:

------------------------------------------------------
Alright, my take on the Kremlings:

Important to remember: the Kremlings are not a direct hint for K Rool. Other DK enemies have been in lots of places.
What it is, is proof Kremlings will not be forgotten just because they're old.
So it does make him more likely. I don't see how it doesn't. But it's not like we should all call him confirmed.

I think this just needed to be said. I can see the confusion on both sides.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I'm not at all surprised to see Ridley's chance plummet. It's sad, but against what we've seen so far, it's hard to say otherwise. There's still a glimmer of hope for him, but it doesn't look good right now.

But all right, on to today's predictions!

King K. Rool
Chance: 65% - I think he has a better-than-average chance to get in the game. He'd make an interesting heavyweight character (which we could use more of) and the Kremlings do seem to nod in his favor.
Want: 60% - He was never a character I immediately wanted for the new Smash, but after hearing all the suggestions on Smash Boards, I've come around slightly to the idea of him. I'm still pretty indifferent, but I'd be glad to see him in.

Dixie Kong
Chance: 40% - With the revival of the Donkey Kong Country series, especially with Trophical Freeze putting Dixie back on the frontlines, she does make sense, but I just see her as being too similar to Diddy to really stand out.
Want: 40% - She doesn't really pique my interest, but I'd try her out and see what she could do, but I'm not really looking forward to her being included.

Cranky Kong
Chance: 5% - I'll never say that a Nintendo character has absolutely chance of appearing in Smash 4, but Cranky is one of those that I just don't see happening at all. His first playable appearance was in Trophical Freeze and even before that he's never been more than a quirky, pestering nuisance.
Want: 15% - He'd be interesting to try out, but I'm definitely not a fan of him or anything.

Shulk prediction: 80% - Given his popularity and the fact that Monolith Soft is first party, I say people will vote him pretty highly.
Mewtwo prediction: 85% - This is hard to predict, but again, given his popularity and no clues so far saying he's out of the fray, people are still pulling for him to be in. I'm one of them!

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Or will he be doomed to his rocking chair at Jungle Japes (where I believe it is too zoomed-out to see him at in the new footage) for all eternity?
There's definitely someone in the rocking chair. I think you can see enough that it looks like him. So I would say he wasn't removed from Jungle Japes. It was never really obvious to the point like Engineer Link, so I don't think it's really important that he's in it. It might've helped had he been removed, I suppose.

Screenshots of Jungle Japes on 3DS:

So, on that note... Cranky.

I don't think anything in the Direct helped Cranky, honestly. And it's becoming less likely that we'll get two DK reps. Regardless of any bad news for Dixie or K Rool, I just can't see them putting Cranky in. He doesn't have move set potential over K Rool, he's not more relevant/recent than Dixie, and he doesn't have popularity over either. All he has is one playable appearance. Putting him in over both of them would just be baffling.

Cranky chances: 1%
Cranky want: 30%
I'd be annoyed if he got in over K Rool or Dixie. But I do want DK to get more reps. And he would be Scrooge McDuck-like.

He could be an AT I suppose though... In fact, DK has no ATs yet! Surely they should get something... Rambi, perhaps?

K Rool
Last time I gave him 64%.

What has changed? Well the Direct showed some Kremling Kritters, who haven't been seen in a long while. And they're famously minions of K Rool. This shows the Kremlings and their king are on the radar. But surely we could assume that Sakurai knew about K Rool anyway.

I also think Dixie has declined slightly, giving a slight boost to K Rool from there.

Overall, a slight boost to K Rool.

K Rool chances: 68.5%
K Rool want: 93%
One of my most wanted.

Holding out hope that if Retro does one more DKC game, they have K Rool return in grand style.

Dixie Kong
Last time I gave her 52%.

Since then, Tropical Freeze has come and gone and we've gotten nothing about her. It's confirmed she won't be a team with Diddy Kong either. That was the best time to reveal her. You might say Pokemon X/Y's release was the best time for Greninja - but I disagree. Greninja needed a few months to build some popularity before revealing him, Dixie is already a well-known character.

The latest Direct further boosted K Rool. This hurts her slightly.

I also had boosted her score a bit since I thought two DK characters was more likely back then.

Dixie chances: 42%

Dixie want: 75%
I'd be happy to see DK get more love, but she's not up there with K Rool.

Predictions:
Shulk - 64%
I don't see much reason for movement. A lot of competition got knocked out during the Direct, but we also lost a slot. No real Xenoblade news.

Mewtwo - 70%
There's some significant doubt about him now. But there's still room for a couple more Pokemon, and I think people aren't THAT down on him yet.

King K. Rool
As GameXplain pointed out. The Tiki Buzzs also appear in smash run also, so does that indicate that Lord Fredrik (boss from recent Donkey Kong game) is going to be playable?? Its not really good evidence to use imo
Tikis were in DKC Returns, not Tropical Freeze. Tiki Tong is their leader.

But anyway, I think that's a poor comparison because 1. Tiki Tong is more recent, and so does not need a "refresh" to show that he's still relevant 2. Tiki Tong is a floating head and hands, so he doesn't have the body for it 3. Tiki Tong positively pales in personality compared to K Rool and the Kremlings, isn't popular and is a one-off, while K Rool is recurring... seeing a Tiki in Smash Run can't help Tiki Tong overcome their huge deficits, whereas it can help K Rool a little bit, since he doesn't start off as wildly implausible.

They're saying that saying the Kremlings help K Rool is like saying the Tikis help Tiki Tong...

I say that argument is like saying that Pit's new Final Smash doesn't help the chances of seeing a Kid Icarus Centurion be playable, so therefore it can't help Palutena's chances either.

Last edited:

Captain Toad

Smash Apprentice
Dixie
Chance: 70% After how relevant she still is to the series I'd be genuinely surprised if she didn't have a great chance of getting in.
Want: 90% A kickass female character who's saved the main protagonist of the series? Hell yes! Also after all the expected reveal date let downs I really do see it as a big deal her not being revealed after tropical freeze.

King K.Rool
Chance: 70%
I'm confident DK will get another rep, but not sure who it will be. I would have been super sure it would have been King K Rool, but I'm less sure now.

Popularity and being requested is one thing, but look at Bowser Jr, crazy popular, and I was sure he'd probably get in over my favourite, but he hasn't been revealed. Look at Mewtwo, the board basically thought he was a dead cert, so I think its too tough to call. If DK gets two slots, then I can't see any issues with his inclusion.

Want: 70% I'd prefer Dixie, but wouldn't have a problem with King. K. Rool being in, especially if DK gets two slots or something.

Cranky
Chance:10% before the two above? Then again I've been wrong before.
Want:15% before the two above get in? No, afterwards then maybe.

McDuckletts

Smash Ace
NNID
JaredandCompany
3DS FC
2105-8715-5535
Man, @ Groose Groose you sure know how to do a 200th day!

King K. Rool
Chance: 91%
Previous post:
McDuckletts said:
Biased rate? Maybe...
But besides that, before February's two big reveals, I'd consider K. Rool and Dixie as characters with an equal chance of getting (that chance being 85%). But after Mac and Diddy, I think Dixie's chances have gone down and the Great King's chances have increased. We are definitely getting a DK newcomer this game around, and with Dixie being nowhere in site, it may mean K. Rool is the newcomer of choice here. Being the third most requested character worldwide (behind Mewtwo and Megaman) also helps him out. As for relevancy, well it has been a while since we saw K. Rool in a proper DK game, but if he's so irrelevant now, then how come R.O.B, Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch made it in? Checkmate, atheists.
A 1 percent increase because Kremlings are in Smash Run! Not much of an increase, but every bit helps.
Now that Ridley is most likely out for the count, King K. Rool is my last hope for a cool villain character, and oh god is K. Rool one kool kroc.

Dixie Kong
Chance: 65%
Poor Dixie has gotten the short end of the stick, but if K. Rool somehow misses the mark at making it in, then Dixie will definitely be the DK newcomer for this game. She's fresh in everyone's minds thanks to Tropical Freeze and she ould probably be easy to develop due to her being similar to Diddy in many respects, but would also lack in uniqueness because of this. Am I saying that she can never be made into a unique character? Absolutely not. Damn near every character can be unique if they're given enough creativity. I mean, have we seen a character use their hair for attacks?...Hey it's about as unique as yoga poses.
Want: 90%
I'd be okay with just about any DK newcomer honestly.

Cranky Kong
Chance: 1%
Cranky is a character in the same vain as Hades, as in he is an important character in his respective series, and can be a very unique and fun character, but because there's too much competition from other more important characters, including a token female and token series villain, he has almost no chance at getting in.
Want: 95%
Again, I would be okay with just about any DK character, but Cranky is definitely higher on the wanted spectrum. Seriously, Cranky is awesome, and he's been made even more awesome thanks to Tropical Freeze. Behind the King, Cranky is my 2nd favorite DK character. His never-ending banter on how terrible modern video games are were frickin' gold and he's a Badass grandpa, which is always a plus in my book.

Also I've been noticing that some of my past posts have been short, so I tried to fix that.

Predictions
Shulk: 64.37%
Mewtwo: 72.04%

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

King K. Rool

Chance: 30%

+ He's the most popular DKC villain, to my knowledge.
+ The Kremlings appear in Smash Run...
-- ...but so do the Tiki Buzzes from DKC Returns.
-- His last appearance, to my knowledge, was Mario Super Sluggers in 2008, so he hasn't been relevant lately. Captain Falcon and Ness last appeared in 2008 as well, but they're Smash Bros. staples.
-- Sora/Namco Bandai could pull a Ridley and make him a stage hazard. I won't bring up the Alfonzo argument again (see my Ridley/Palutena post).

Want: 70%

After fully playing DKC1 for the first time on the Wii's Virtual Console (I didn't get into gaming until I owned a PS1), I instantly became curious of how he would play in Smash Bros. He's also an important character like Ridley and Palutena, but not important to the point where he needs to appear.

Dixie Kong

Chance: 50%

+ She's a very popular character. In fact, she was popular enough back in the day to take the leading role in DKC3.
+ Unlike K. Rool, she just recently appeared in Tropical Freeze.
-- I'm not sure how Sakurai wants the DKC series to be represented.
-- Donkey Kong's Up + B resembles Dixie's glide ability.

(1) The importance, and (2) I'm sure she would be fun to play as.

Cranky Kong

Chance: 40%

Apply everything I said about Dixie to Cranky, minus the DKC3 and Up + B arguments.

Same reasons as Dixie.

Last edited by a moderator:

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Captain Baron Krusha King K. Rool
chance: 66% want 33%

Dixie Kong
chance: 50% want 33%

Cranky Kong
chance 50% want 33%

K. Rool seems like the bigger fish of the three, he has a different design, he's a villain, is more popular, and more prominent (overall) than Dixie. Dixie's advantage is probably her Brawl data but even then I think she seems less likelier as time goes on. There's no way of telling how much meaning Brawl data holds anymore, for all we know it could be meaningless. The pairing mechanic isn't going to happen due to team separations, but I believe she's possible. Cranky Kong is the dark horse of the three, he has potential to be the unexpected Rosalina/Greninja-like of the group. We're talking about fighting elder monkeys it can't get anymore rare retro than that:troll:. Cranky has been there all along from beginning to end, and he's important too. He seems less obvious than the two because he's less popular but I'll go ahead and give him the 50/50 rating.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
These ratings in a nutshell.

View attachment 12267
This is awesome. Had to say that.

K. Rool
Chance - 75%
The moment I saw so many kremlings I immediately thought of K. Rool. It's a minor thing, but it means a lot, particularly since the Kroks haven't really gotten much attention from Nintendo as of late. It's great to see them around, and there being so many of them makes me feel like they are there to complement K. Rool's presence, otherwise he really could have just stuck to the tikis.

Want - 100%
This is my third most wanted after Pale tuna and Ridley. I know Palutena is in, and Ridley I am less hopeful on. Hoping that at the least we get 4 out of 5 of my smash 4 top five since this game got announced (Palutena, Mega Man, Ridley, Little Mac, K. Rool.) Granted, it'd be more awesome if we got them all ...

Dixie - 40%
I think we only get one more DK rep, and if it's not K. Rool it's Dixie. And that's all that must be said about that.

Want - 80%
I actually really like Dixie mostly because DKC2 is one of my favorite games ever and I loved using her more than I liked using DK in DKC. Then there's also the fact that in Tropical Freeze she's the only one I wanted to have around (sorry Diddy, but you kind of sucked.) The only reason I don't want her more is because K. Rool is sooooo much more interesting and a fantastic villain that deserves to be in this game at last.

Cranky - 1%
It's Dixie or K. Rool. Anyone else getting in over them from Dk is more than anything a slap in the face, the way I see it.

Want - 0%
As stated above, I would take this as an offense. It'd be far too messed up.

Predictions
Shulk - 72%
He's like an anti-Dee ... the more we talk about him the more I want him.
Mewtwo - 73%
you KNOW some people will doubt him more after that Greninja fake out.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
King K. Rool
Chance: 30% -- A villain that doesn't even get a role in the mainline games. Except for fans, I rarely see mention of this guy.
Want: 30% -- Design and personality do nothing for me. His reveal would be a big--but not negative--surprise (due to moveset potential).

Dixie Kong

Chance: 40% -- A character that actually is in the mainline games, and was even in unused Brawl data.
Want: 20% -- Apart from using her hair to attack, I have a bit of trouble thinking of a full, varied moveset.

Cranky Kong

Chance: 05% -- Uhm...
Want: 05% -- I don't like the character, but if he got in I'd find it hilarious... for one moment, until I realize he just took a slot.

Predictions -- Shulk: 75% / Mewtwo: 70%

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I will start this day off by saying that DK is almost guaranteed to get another character. There is a small chance that we are graced with 2. If that were the case, K Rool and Dixie are clearly the best choices for those positions.

King K Rool
Chance: 75%

He doesnt have any logistical arguments against him other than recency, which i will admit does hold some weight. However, it will not be a reason to completely overlook one of Nintendos top villains. The kremlings showing up in Smash run dont guarantee he will show up, but it is a good indicator that Sakurai has looked at his addition and taken it seriously. It would be strange to see Kremlings, but no K Rool, IMO.

Dixie
Chance: 40%
Want: 80%

Dixie is the clear second choice. I dont hate her at all, I would just prefer K Rool instead. She has a pretty good shot. The edge she has over K Rool is simply recency.

Cranky
Chance: 2.5%
Want: 30%

Simply put, there is just too much competition in the field at the moment. Hes up against some heavy hitters, one of which has been highly requested for quite some time.

Predictions
Shulk: 57%
Mewtwo: 68.5%

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
King K. Rool
Chance: 60%.
The only reason to put him in would be to please the fanbase. Unless Ridley is playable, we aren't getting K. Rool either.
Want: 65%.
I'd like to see his fans be happy.
Dixie:
Chance: 60%
If we don't get K. Rool, we are getting Dixie.
Want: 10%.
I always hated diddy kong.
Cranky:
Chance: 5%
Want: 15%
nuff said.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
King K. Rool:
Chance: 55%

Kremlings appearing is a plus in his favour. But that doesn't really mean anything. They appeared in Super Strikers as the goalies and whilst DK and Diddy DID appear in that, K. Rool did not. I don't think the Kremling's appearance actually aids anyone. It just means a DK character is in the game...and we've seen the two main ones already.

Popularity is the main only key element to K. Rool getting in as a playable, and amongst Smashboards he obviously has that in spades.

I just wonder if it's enough now Ridley and even previously thought of as a shoe-in Mewtwo are looking shaky in the eyes of many post direct.

Want: 40%
His design's never appealed to me honestly and the only reason he gets as high as 40% is because I want him in for other people's happiness.

Dixie Kong:
Chance: 55%

Could easily go either way. She, like K. Rool is popular(albeit less so) amongst Smash fans, but she's more liked by Nintendo and after seeing them push current characters like Greninja and Rosalina into the roster I can see Dixie just as easier than K. Rool.

Yes, it's recency, but I think Greninja has actually proved Groose's theory about advertisement correct; Six months after Greninja first appeared, he showed up in Smash. I'm still expecting the same with Dixie.

One of the first heroines in Nintendo, three times playable in main DK games(once as the main lead) and I just like Tropical Freeze more than any other DK game I've played. Plus I just like her more. That's enough of a reason to want someone isn't it?

I don't necessarily want every newcomer to have to be a super special snowflake of gimmicky uniqueness. "Diddy with hair" is just fine with me as long as she's fun to play as.

Cranky Kong:
Chance: 5%

Cranky has some things going for him, but he's not as popular as the other two, and his role in the series has been minimal prior to Tropical Freeze. Should Cranky get in over either of the others I'll be totally baffled.

I like Cranky fine(certainly more than I like K. Rool), but I'm mostly indifferent as having him as a playable character at this stage. Wait til the above two make it and then we'll talk.

Predictions:
Mewtwo: 58%
"Shoe-in" Mewtwo is looking shaky after that Direct. People will still rate him pretty high, but he's going to take a tumble.

Shulk: 60%
I'm honestly not sure how the Direct affected him, so I'll just take a random guess.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
King K Rool Returns
Chance : 85 %
Pretty confident in the guy even without the Kremlings in Smash Run.

Want : 95 %
That's quite a rise since last time I rate him.
Why ? Because smash better have a new villain and with Ridley maybe gone, he is our best hope for one.

Also the King is long overdue for his smash debut, there's no excuse to not have include him in smash in any other way than trhopies and stikers, I mean, come on, even Andross and Porky had bigger appearance than him in Brawl.

Finally I really want to see him for his fans, that I have the chance to frequent and see a lot thanks to the friendship between the fanbase of K Rool and Ridley going on Smashboards and I hope our fanbase best friends get what they want so much ^^

Howewer I still don't have a personnal connection with the King, which is the reason why I can't give him a full 100%

Go forward King of Kremlings, it really is your finest hour.

Dixie Kong
Chance : ABSTAIN
I really don't know what to think about her right now and I really don't want to judge her unfairly

Want : 20%
Never been a fan of her, sorry Dixie fans =/

Good old Cranky
Chance : 50%
I think that he is one of the most underatted potential newcommers, he is maybe against a really tough competition with K Rool and Dixie, but we're talking about Sakurai here, the same guy who added Rosalina and ZSS before Toad/Bowser Jr and Ridley, so who knows, and it's not like Cranky doesn't have anything on his side too.

Wanted : 60%
I like the guy, not a lot, but still like him and I can't help but smile just to imagine Cranky beating the **** out of Ganondorf with his cane while shooting "RESPECT YOUR ELDER KIDDO"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, and Cranky Kong have been added to the Directory.
If you have rated any of these characters, please check to see what you said on their days!

King K. Rool
Chance:
90%

Normally, I would give him an 85%, but he gets a slight boost. With the Kremlings returning and Dixie Kong not being found during the Direct, things look favorably towards King K. Rool. There aren't too many arguments against him and I feel as though his worldwide demand has outshined the recency argument. I do think that the Kremlings are a good indicator that King K. Rool might return; they're there, I bet that they are there for some reason outside of Smash Run.
I think that he is one of the most likely newcomers to appear in Smash. There is a lot going for him with little against him.
He would be incredibly unique! Leaving him out would be a crime!
Also, I have a friend on another website and his most wanted newcomer is King K. Rool. I want King K. Rool to get in just to make him happy as well.

Dixie Kong
Chance:
50%

The Greninja reveal hurt her possible reveal. With Tropical Freeze still in our minds and Diddy Kong getting confirmed, I predicted that she was going to get revealed. However, she didn't... it's because of this that I find her chances to be 50/50.
She isn't as unique as King K. Rool and her demand isn't as strong as King K. Rool's. I have this feeling that Sakurai chose him over her.
Regardless, if she doesn't make it in now, I bet she will be a stronger contender next time.
Tropical Freeze has warmed me up to her. If I can't have King K. Rool, I at least want Dixie Kong. I am just going to be prepared for the loads of disappointment that may arise...

Cranky Kong
Chance:
5%

He's not even in the runnings anymore. I would be surprised if this old coot beat out K. Rool or Dixie.
Want: 0%
Unlike Dixie Kong, Tropical Freeze didn't warm me up to Cranky Kong. I found him to be pretty useless in that game. In fact, I almost never used him and only did when it was required.

Shulk Prediction: MONADO! LEND US YOUR POWER! (69.16%)
I... just don't even know anymore. It's odd how my most wanted newcomer is getting rated a day later after my friend's most wanted newcomer. I'm keeping a close eye on this day.
Mewtwo Prediction: 70.52%
He will still get some high ratings.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
King K. Rool
The guy is pretty damn popular. Requested a lot worldwide.
It'd be awesome to have him but I'd rather have...

Dixie Kong
I'd say her odds are even with the Kremling king. Remember how she was planned for Brawl? I'd say that factors in.
Oh yeah! She's my favorite Nintendo heroine.

Cranky Kong
Chance: 2%
I know he was just in Tropical Freeze and all, but I doubt that will have an influence.
He might be pretty cool, but c'mon. Those two above deserve it more.

D

Deleted member

King K. Rool

99% Chance: Kritters showed up, after my old score, I can only go to the max, which means K. Rool is, in my opinion, practically a guarantee. I already made a tl;dr post about it last time I ranked K. Rool, but the pivotal reason for my optimism is that DK is going to get a newcomer. When I say newcomer, I mean new set, character, the whole shebang. Compare K. Rool to his competition, the only remotely popular one is Dixie Kong, who at best only works as a semi-clone.

I mean, what other series that doesn't have a newcomer, also has revealed all of its veterans? I count Metroid, only because of the direct, as opposed to DK getting out Diddy months ago. We've not seen one of the Earthbound boys, Wario or Falcon, but we have DK and Diddy. Donkey Kong was featured as one of the big franchises at the start of the Smash 4 trailer last E3, again preceding a newcomer.

The franchise is honestly a long time coming for a newcomer given its sales numbers, ignoring the fact it's insanely popular. K. Rool is also one of the only remaining heavyweight villains who is a Nintendo icon. This is one major archetype not yet covered in the newcomer roster and I doubt Sakurai would be so bold as to consider a slight redoing of Bowser/Dedede enough to make up for no heavyweight, let alone villain. I'd say it is catastrophic if we get no new villain on the roster.

100% Want: I've grown to love K. Rool over the years. He's a big personality, a fun potential moveset and covers many bases not yet in Smash Bros. The fact he's not been in the new DKC games is somewhat of a positive as well as a negative, as it makes him a true representative of the original trilogy.

A playable appearance in Smash Bros, or any appearance beyond a trophy, would secure K. Rool's deserved spot in the pantheon of Nintendo villains. I imagine it'd also signal, or motivate Retro to include K. Rool and the Kremlings, or an original team, in the next DKC game, which'd make me happy.

Dixie Kong

15% Chance: Dixie lacks the potential and uniqueness Sakurai is looking for, being a carbon clone of Diddy's body type and having little in the way of props (Diddy), fighting ability (DK) or sheer personality (K. Rool, Cranky) to be a threat to the others in her series. When Sakurai had finalized the roster, Dixie had been dead in DK longer than K. Rool.

Sakurai has considered both K. Rool and Dixie for Smash Bros, but Dixie only as a transformation for Diddy. The fact he didn't use her and dumped the character for solo Diddy, plus the fact transformations are confirmed gone, makes it a strong possibility she'll never get in. Now that he's focusing on uniqueness above all else, apparently, I don't think he'd have such bias as to ignore K. Rool but lavish over Diddy's hair 'n' hover. There isn't much else to that character.

However I can see her getting in as a last minute clone. She's an easy one to make off of Diddy's very popular moveset, and the hair makes good fodder for changes in the moveset in one spot or another. I simply don't think Sakurai would make the uninteresting choice and go against K. Rool's worldwide popularity, far greater around 2012 compared to Dixie Kong.

5% Want: Mostly was indifferent to her inclusion, but I lean on not want due to the fact I find her potential so uninteresting. The hair as a recovery doesn't even take up special, it's an obvious hover. I've yet to see a convincing set of specials for Dixie Kong, let alone another 19 inputs. DK also has a plethora of others I'd rather see: Cranky, Funky, Lanky and Chunky all come ahead of Dixie.

Cranky Kong

5% Chance: Not the lowest but the Jungle Japes stage casually seemed to discard Cranky as a viable option. The Mii use in the direct was pretty conclusive in my opinion - it's not what is shown that matters a lot of the time, but the intent or attitude surrounding it. In the case of Cranky and Miis, I don't get the sense Sakurai is holding off on any reveals, he simply doesn't care.

90% Want: Best Kong, best DK character after K. Rool. The one downer here is that his moveset potential is fairly limited, until you start adding random things like the original DK barrels because he's supposed to be that one. His pogo adds more than the hair, as it is an obvious up special and useful in melee, but doesn't help as much for a grab. Nonetheless, Cranky's likable personality and the fact he's just as much a Nintendo icon as K. Rool in my opinion, would make me very excited to see him as a newcomer.

Shulk Prediction: 67%
Around where he was before, nothing has changed, but no there have also been zero hints.

Mewtwo Prediction: 65%
Won't go all that low but Greninja will create some doubt.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Tiki Tong or whatevers. But the point is the same. Minions don't indicate that a certain boss will appear imo
I would say that the minions do indicate the time frame the game is using. The presence of Kremlings means that their overall importance to the Donkey Kong series (which is directly tied to K. Rool's) is being noted. This basically does away with the "relevancy" argument that was used against K. Rool for so long. With that out of the way, K. Rool's numerous other good qualities as a character are able to shine through.

Also, I think something worth mentioning is the lack of any Tropical Freeze enemies in Smash Run. If Tropical Freeze doesn't get acknowledgement, that significantly decreases Dixie Kong's chances, as that means she has the same "relevancy" problems K. Rool has.

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
King K. Rool
Chance: 35%
I think he's very overrated, but he has a decent chance though.
Want: 20%
I don't really care about him.

Dixie Kong
Chance: 52%
She was considered for Brawl and appeared in Tropical Freeze so I think she has a pretty good chance.
Want: 60%
I like her more than K. Rool, but she would probably be a semi-clone if she made it in.

Cranky Kong
Chance: 10%
You never know with Sakurai...
I would probably use him to troll K. Rool supporters if he made it in. :p

Shulk Prediction: 72%
Mewtwo Prediction: 60%

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
K. Rool Chance: 65% I see the Kremlings now, but it's really not enough for me to rate K. Rool at 99% like BKupa's.
K. Rool Want: 30%
Dixie Chance: 60%
Dixie Want: 50%
Cranky Chance: 5% Deconfirmed through the Jungle Japes stage?
Cranky Want: 0% I faded away from him as soon as I saw his lack of moveset potential.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
King K. Rool's chances: 80%
Dixie Kong's chances: 60%

I think King K. Rool has the edge now, but I could still see Dixie getting in over him. I'm pretty certain we're getting at least one of them.

K. Rool want: 100%
Dixie want: 90%

If I could only get one, I'd definitely prefer K. Rool. I'd rather see a villain for the series over sidekick number two and I think he'd be more unique. Still, I'd be fine with Dixie getting in, and if possible I want both.

Cranky Kong's chances: 0.5% - I honestly don't think he has much of a chance at getting in over either of the above at this point.
Want: 0% - I really like Cranky. He's my second favorite of the kongs. Thing is, I think I prefer him as an NPC...I wasn't even that excited about his appearance in Tropical Freeze, and I rarely use him in that game. Also, "second favorite" -- Dixie is my favorite kong. I also prefer K. Rool. I wouldn't want him to get in over either.

Shulk prediction: 66.59% - No idea.
Mewtwo prediction: 60.27% - Also no idea.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
K. Rool Chance: 80% - If there's Kremlings, there's probably going to be K. Rool.
K. Rool Want: 40% - Originally was going to give him 30%, but then I thought about it for a while, and then I thought of him as an Ugly King Dedede, but, being the king of cheese puts him up a bit in my wants. If he can make me laugh with his animations/gameplay I'll enjoy seeing him in Smash. I didn't play much of the Donkey Kong games since I didn't own a SNES or N64 when I was younger. Though, whoever plays Donkey Kong usually talks about K. Rool more than anything else in the game. Though, many villains from that time period had lots of cheesy dialogue so K. Rool wasn't anything special to me.
Dixie Chance: 50% - She's one of the main Kongs you can play as.... not much else to say. No one ever seems to talk about her either unless people are talking about characters that likely to get into smash.
Dixie Want: 30% - I don't really care for Dixie. I just don't see anything special about her besides the hair hovering. Her design doesn't seem bad.... For a Donkey Kong character. :applejack:
Kranky Kong Chance: 25% - Chances drasticly increased from being playable in more recent Donkey Kongs, but I think Dixie will get in long before she does.
Kranky Kong Want: 35% - After seeing Kranky in the newer game he looks like he could be hilarious. Also, jokes about "RESPECT YER ELDERS!" and other old people jokes. He'll never be a character I'd main, but he's a character I'd like to fight every now and then. I don't want the entire roster to be serious people, makes the serious ones more boring (and vice versa)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
King K.Rool

Chance: 90%
Say what!? Yes. Kremlings are back, Punch Out isn't the most recent of all games, he's heavily suggested... No heavy weights as newcomers yet, Bowser's moveset being revamped almost completely. All signs leading to the great King of Kremlings to me! Dixie not having shown up yet either also is a good sign for K.Rool.

Dixie Kong

Chance: 60%
Her chances aren't as good anymore, but she can still make it in as a late Diddy semi-clone I guess. It's better than nothing, and she's still very popular and wanted all around. She is easily world wide in the top 10 of most requested characters. And DKC deserves it. Am still seeing it happen that DKC gets 2 newcomers this time.
Want: 99%

Cranky Kong

Chance: 15%
Seriously, Jungle Japes made it really difficult for him to get back. He could pull an Alfonzo with Funky Kong I GUESS but... Will that really happen on a classic stage as Jungle Japes? I doubt it...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I see the alligators and monkeys cut the line for shulk and mewtwo but oh well here goes

Last time for me king k rool got 30% from me but as of the direct

Chance 70%
The kremlings have going king k rool a significant chance but its still possible for boss hazard but however on the other hand sakurai is listening to the fans a little bit so I think he knows king k rool is a wanted newcomer (just like ridley another reason why I think the shadow is a troll) the only thing that hurts him which is why the 30% was excluded is because of the tikis

Want 100%
DK needs a villian rep king k rool fits the bill as the most popular

Dixie kong

Chance 20%
Yea the kremlings hurt her because that gives king k rool a advantage over her it was either her or him when it all started

Want 45%

Never really heard of her that much

Cranky kong

Chance 5%
Forget it I don't see it happening Scrooge cm duck tops him for his place if there even is one according to what he does in DKCTF

Want 50%
Its a funny thought to see a old man playable but I'm sure it's not happening

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
The popularity chart has been updated to include the new scores for Ridley and Palutena.

King K. Rool
Chance: 44% - I think he has decent chance, I'm not sure if the Kremlings help him as much as people think but I guess it counts for something. I'm hesitant to give over 50% to a character that Nintendo has turned it's back on not just once but twice.
Want: 66% - He has the potential that's for sure.

Dixie
Chance: 40% - She'a not quite as popular as the King, but at the same time not so far behind him as to make a huge difference. At least she was in Tropical Freeze.
Want: 76% - She has my full support.

Cranky
Chance: 0% - I can't realistically see him being considered.
Want: 0% - He's not welcome here.

Shulk prediction: 67%
Mewtwo prediction: 74%

Last edited:

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
King K. Rool
Chance: 10%
I don't really care for K. Rool and just don't think he has a high chance. Hasn't been in a game in a while and I'm not sure what they could do.

I also don't really want him that much. Of course if they added Cranky, and possibly Dixie as well, then maybe I'd want him.

Dixie Kong
Chance: 20%
She is very similar to Diddy, which is why I don't think she has an incredibly high chance. I think she has a higher chance than K. Rool because she at least appeared in Tropical Freeze. Also, she was planned for Brawl, so unless they scraped her because they couldn't think of an interesting moveset, maybe she has a decent chance.

Want: 30%
Not terribly high because I'm worried she'd be too similar to Diddy. Still, seeing interesting Kongs would be cool.

Cranky Kong
Chance: 25%
Not a very high chance, like the others. He would promote TF and I feel he would be different from Donkey Kong & Diddy, but I just don't know if they'll add more DK characters. I would love them to.

I actually want him to a decent degree. He would be interesting and does promote TF, so it would be nice to see him and for DK to have another rep.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
K. Rool

Chance - 89.5% - While the Kremlings may be back, I don't think it overall gives him too big of a boost. Still, this is slightly higher than normal.

Want - 75% - Not truly invested in him, but I'm interested.

Dixie Kong

Chance - 45% - Yeah, with Tropical Freeze being prime time to reveal her, and that passed, we can't say her chances haven't been hurt at all. She still is reasonably possible, though.

Want - 41% - Meh. Not very interesting.

Cranky Kong

Chance - 0.5% - Yeah, left in the dust. He's doomed.

Want - 5% - Just to hear him rant. That's it.

Predictions

Shulk - 70.05% - Shulk's been on an upword trend. I see no reason for it not to continue.

Mewtwo - 77.95% - Some concerns about Greninja will definitely bring him down.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
It's hard to predict newcomers without considering potential leaks, but that's what I'm going to do.

King K Rool
Chance: 70%

Kritters showing up didn't hurt his chances, that's for sure. I could see him going either way as he is super popular with the online Smash Community and has a long history with his series, but hasn't been an important part of his franchise in 14 years. If he HAD made any appearance in the newer DKC games, I would probably bump him up to 80%. I'm not a huge fan of his, but I want him in a decent amount as I know he has his fans and could see him having a decent moveset. It's more like I support his fans, I guess.

Dixie
Chance: 80%

Dixie I think has the biggest chance out of all the Donkey Kiong characters as she could easily be a modified Diddy, was considered in some capacity for the last Smash game, and had a large role in the newest Donkey Kong Country. I wouldn't care if she was in either way.

Cranky
Chance: 15%
Want: 75%

Still a background element, and I don't think Alfonzo is going to hang out in Jungle Japes. He also only recently became a playable character in a mainstream platformer (although that didn't stop Rosalina.) I don't want him as much as I want Scrooge McDuck's move set in the game.... but that's enough to get him to 75%.

Last edited:

Keto

Smash Journeyman
King K.Rool's chance: 90% - I am fully supportive of the antagonists of a series countering their heroic opposite. Link --> Ganondorf, Kirby --> King DeDeDe, Mario --> Bowser, Fox --> Wolf. With the possible deconfirmation of Ridley (which I don't think he is deconfirmed), there does not seem to be that many villains versus heroes in Smash Bros. Every single newcomer has been a protagonist and I think we need some more antagonists playable. That being said, King K.Rool is the number one candidate for this slot due to Ridley's chances plummeting.

King K.Rool want: 100%

Dixie Kong's chance: 35% - Unless there is clear evidence that King K.Rool is not playable, then Dixie will always be second to him. I'm not sure if she would be a semi-clone to Diddy as movesets are concerned, but visually she is very similar to Diddy. We don't need more aesthetic clones, but that really isn't up to me. I can see there being two Donkey Kong newcomers though.

Dixie Kong want: 25%

Cranky Kong's chances: 2.5% - He has two far more popular contenders to compete against. Maybe in Smash 6.

Cranky Kong want: 2.5%

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
King K. Rool:
Chance - 65%
When factoring in both East and West, one could make a decent argument that K. Rool might be the most wanted newcomer worldwide. This on its own should be enough to get him in. DKC is also a big enough series to warrant more reps, perhaps even two. While relevancy arguments aren't unfounded (especially when there are more relevant characters with his own series), I think that the Kremlings being in Smash Run really hurts their case. K. Rool also has a chance to be a very unique character, which Sakurai seems to be trying to focus on this time around.

Even as someone who doesn't really play much Donkey Kong, I think K. Rool should be in! I like his personality (he could have some great expressions!) and his moveset could be pretty awesome. He's probably my second most wanted newcomer, coming in after Palutena.

Dixie Kong:
Chance - 40%
As others have said, DK is the series with the best chance of getting two newcomers (or at least it should be). Dixie could get in as a clone, but she has enough popularity to get in on her own.

Want - 50%
I wouldn't say that I'm rooting for her to get in, but I would understand if she did. To her credit, Dixie is one of Nintendo's best female characters. At the same time, I don't think I would really play her that much, and she could (not saying that has to be) a roadblock to K. Rool getting in.

Cranky Kong:
Chance - 5%
He's by no means impossible, but is he likely? Nah. Tropical Freeze helped Dixie just as much, and she's significantly more requested. While his moveset has a chance to be more unique, I'm not sure if that actually helps him or hurts him.

Want - 10%
Cranky would actually be pretty amusing, and he is a fairly important character. Even so, there's already a two character list that I have in front of him. Sorry Cranky!

Predictions:
Shulk - 52.69%
Mewtwo - 78.32% Not really sure how people are going to react after the Greninja incident...

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
King K. Rool

Chance : 90% Those Kremlings in the Smash Run trailer and everything that @ BKupa666 BKupa666 says has convinced me that this guy is basically in.

Want : 80% I always liked King K. Rool after playing the original Donkey Kong Country. I always thought he was a goof. I mostly want him in because I know so many other people want him included really badly, so I want them to be happy. Also, it's always good to have more villains.

Dixie Kong

Chance : 30% Not being announced around Tropical Freeze's release date basically killed her chances for me. I only gave her a 30% because Sakurai.

Want : 10% Not a big fan of her. I'm always down for more female characters, but a clone of Diddy? Ehhhh....

Cranky Kong

Chance : 5% I could see this guy as a Mr. Ressetti 2.0 Assist Trophy, but not a character.

Want : 60% Having said that, I think it would be absolutely hilarious to bounce around on his cane and beat up the young whippersnappers.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
K. Rool Likelihood: 60%
Want: 80%

Dixie Likelihood: 35%
Want: 48%

Cranky Likelihood: 15%

Shulk: 58.55%
Mewtwo: 61.25%

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
King K. Rool: 80%. He's got a fantastic chance because of Smash Run but iunno. There's a lot of things in support and frankly this is one of the few supporting characters left with little oppositions or difficulties from being in the roster. We'll have to wait and see.

Dixie Kong

Chance: 20% - I've never been too keen on the idea of her even with the "Forbidden 7". I won't touch too much on this to not piss peeps off, but one recent appearance doesn't make you golden on it's own.

Want: 50% - Contrary to that, I'd still like to see her in, especially if it was an expansion pack to Smash. I feel like this would be a true outlet to flesh out her character more than just the DKC games.

Cranky Kong

Chance: 5% lol assist trophy

Want: 60% - TewnLeenk summarized how I think it'd be hilarious.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
King K. Rool:

Chance - 60%: The Kritters being there means that Sakurai obviously thought about the Kremlings during development. Obviously this is something that sways in Rool's favour. However I'm not that sure he'll be playable. We haven't seen a new DK stage yet, and it makes me wonder if he'll potentially be a stage boss on it...but with that said that could also mean he'll have a secret stage that is unlocked with him. Hmmm....

Want - 90% - K.Rool is one of the few all-stars missing. He'd be another heavyweight which I think we are lacking in.

Dixie:

Chance - 50% - I'm split on the idea. She could well be the third DK rep, there is nothing that deconfirms or helps her playability status. Technically, it could depend on the new DK stage. If K.Rool is a boss then Dixie would also have to be playable in my opinion, just to complete the quartet.

Want - 50% - Eh, I'd prefer K. Rool but I wouldn't begrudge her being on the roster.

Cranky Kong:

Chance - 1% - Yeah sorry but I just don't see him getting ahead of Dixie (a character with more playable appearances and for me - a more iconic character) and King K. Rool (the villain of the DK series, usually)

Want - 10% - I like Cranky but being a playable character in Smash just isn't for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom