• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Rate The Above Song, Then Post Another

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
7/10

The lyrics are intriguing as they seen to explore the topic of toxic relationships without exonerating either party of blame, and the instruments are both great on their own and suit the lyrics nicely. My only complaint is thet I could've gone without several lyrics being screamed instead of just sung.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
6/10 So I looked up the rest of this artist's stuff, and all the songs are titled after times like that, very mysterious. Anyway, I do like the synthwave aesthetics on this track, and those sharp distorted vocal effects are pretty cool. Unfortunately, it does take a while to start up and just fades out instead of crescendoing like I was expecting.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
7/10 Black and White always delivers great tension in its battle themes, and those midis are used tastefully. Though it is kind of lost in the shuffle of other more memorable battle themes from the same game due to sort of meandering around the same melody.

(Waring: Sexual themes in the Spanish lyrics)

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
6/10

It's not a bad song musically, it's just not one of my preferred genres. I can't really rate it fairly though without a proper understanding of the Spanish language.

EDIT: Erm, is the above song even considered appropriate for the site? You may want to add a mature content warning to be safe.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
5/10 - a bit plain instrumentally, the singing doesn't feel like it should even qualify as such, and the tone doesn't really feel scary/overwhelming enough. Would probably enjoy it to a degree as an instrumental, but not as a horror song

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
8/10 I miss good advertisement video games. It sounds like a castlevania level but maybe that’s just me.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
6/10 It's certainly a step up from You Broke Me First and Tate McRae's other previous hits, but her voice still drives me away too much. Something about her inflections are so distracting. "Singing in cursive" syndrome I suppose. The pop rock guitars do at least add some much-needed weight and a solid hook, but they're still too chintzy to say this is better than just good. Chaotic shoulda been a hit, though.

(As an aside I once heard someone online say that this song is about Tate McRae being jealous of Olivia Rodrigo's success which is just too funny to not share.)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
7/10 Not my style but by no means bad. The bear and the catchiness reminds me of Gym Class Heroes. I just prefer more technical stuff.

Saw this band live last week. They’re pretty good, but they didn’t play this one, which is my favorite from the new EP. The lead singer even did a sax solo at the end.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
5/10 After Wrecked turned out to be one of the best singles Imagine Dragons ever put out I had high hopes for Mercury. Sadly, it didn't live up to the hype. Bones is a part of that, considering it feels half-baked. Dan Reynolds puts on a good loud performance like usual, but the melody sounds canned and the instrumental is just this constant drum buildup that leaves me unsatisfied. I'm kinda surprised that it's ramping up to be the biggest hit from the album (and no Enemy does not count). Now if Sharks start to gain some traction then we'll be talking 👀

And in honor of the start of the month of fright...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
8/10 Gerard is always good, this just ain’t his best work. Try singing as him, it’s ****ing hilarious to try and match his silly ass tones.

I have a lot of new core content to share since I’ve last posted frequently. The album this song is from is my current AOTY; it’s just a really good underground rock album. I like the experimental mix of hip hop elements and it pairs well.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
6.5/10

The lyrics are left open enough for anyone with stress or struggles to understand, though many of the the lyrics themselves, either by the singer screaming much of them, the volume of the music, or a combination of both, are hard to hear. Even when I read the lyrics in the video description in time with listening to the song itself, I still didn't actually hear several of the lines written in said description. Instrumentals are badass, though. It's good musically, but I wish the words were easier to hear.

(While there's no flashing lights in this video, it does have some colorful static effects, so mild epilepsy warning just to be safe)

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
8/10 Those bitcrushed video game announcer voice clips really should bring the song down a lot, I usually hate talking in my music, but they're delivered with such gravitas that it's just epic fun. And then the electronic beat is propulsive, hell even explosive, the whole way through, so it's an instant video game classic for sure.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
9/10

I imagine I would hear this as the final boss music of a Mario & Luigi game and it would be spectacular.

I saw this band live five months ago but they also had a surprise second tour in my town in December, so I went again. I was in the front row, and when they played this song I saw an entire cyclone of people moshing behind me. **** was cash.

6.5/10

The lyrics are left open enough for anyone with stress or struggles to understand, though many of the the lyrics themselves, either by the singer screaming much of them, the volume of the music, or a combination of both, are hard to hear. Even when I read the lyrics in the video description in time with listening to the song itself, I still didn't actually hear several of the lines written in said description. Instrumentals are badass, though. It's good musically, but I wish the words were easier to hear.
Valid criticisms and I agree to an extent. The album is filled with amazing instrumentals and blends of punk/hip-hop but the vocalist still has a lot to go. He really, really should've dropped the country emo trap song from the album. :snakefire:

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
7/10

The vocals aren't really appealing, and they feel like they're put way to far in front of the mix, but the instrumental is insanely propulsive. The little touches of piano throughout the song are beautiful and add so much texture, and the way it slowly breaks down at the end was pretty awesome.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
8/10

The lyrics are thought-provoking, yet I can't quite figure out what they're about, at least not after the first listen or so. It's somehow an overall calm but very emotional song, and the instrumentals and singing are just a perfect harmony. It sounds a lot like something you'd hear in Adventure Time, or it at least reminds me of such.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
7/10

It’s a swanky remix, but I’m not sure if that’s the best the EarthBound soundboard (I assume it’s a demake of BIG SHOT) has to offer for that specific song. I think it could be improved.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
7/10

I really like the way that the instrumental picks up speed at the end, and those are some really good classic emo vocals. I guess I just wish the composition had more variation for the beginning of it, since it sounds very standard otherwise.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
9/10

The song is retro and funky, but the main takeaway is that the feature looks so much like an aged Rob McElhenney playing Nightman I had to double take and ask myself if this was an Always Sunny episode.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
8/10

I thought this was the same dude who made Human but the song is still nice.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
7/10

The vocal and instrumental work are both solid, but I'm having a tougher time understanding the lyrics to this one. All I can gather is that it's at least partly about a relationship with someone who wasn't a good person and the singer's resulting emotional turmoil from it.

Divine Grace Maryse

Class of 1979
Premium
Not good at detailed reviews, but let me see, here... even though I am usually a gospel girl, that was pretty decent. 7.5 outta 10.

And now, here is my personal #1 song. :bowser:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
9/10

Wow, good pick for all-time #1. Those vocals are so silky smooth throughout the entire track, and the way the instrumental breaks down a bit at the last minute without ever losing its groove somehow? That's just impressive. Guess I should also submit one of my own underrated favs in response.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
8/10 Very nice instrumentals, and the chorus was great. Joji has a weird sounding singing voice though, imo. It’s like a whiny, emo mumble kinda tone. :p

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
7/10

Musically, it's great. The vocalist is talented and his singing goes well with the instruments and melody. At least some of the lyrics seem to concern stress and anxiety, but I know for a fact that I don't fully understand them, more so some of the later lines in the song. Regardless, it's a fairly enjoyable listen.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
9/10 Yessss this entire album is a whole classic. It was one of the first 60s albums I ever listened to when I first got into music, so I'm a bit biased, but it really is a fun time. Title track here is no exception! It's cheesy, but it's so charming at what it does.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
6.5/10

I like the instrumentals a lot and the vocal work is solid, but some of the innuendos (or at least what I think are supposed to be innuendos) in the lyrics are a bit much for me.

Divine Grace Maryse

Class of 1979
Premium
8 outta 10. I should recommend this to my step-mother. She has one of his albums but has not played it for years now.

And now, I present another song originating from the 1970s. This is my #2 all-time favorite, by the way. :bowser:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
9/10 Catchy and nostalgic. I haven’t heard anything recapture this kind of sound from newer artists. However, I am a scene emo punk hardcore metalhead baby, so maybe my ears just aren’t listening in the right direction. Speaking of:

EDIT: Changed the song because nobody responded yet and this album just came out and I like it a lot better than what I posted originally. Mild language warning, he says **** a total of three times. That's enough to be Rated R :mybodyisreggie:

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
6.8/10

The lyrics about this one sound rather conflicting at times and I'm really not sure what the intended meaning of the song is. That's not necessarily a bad thing as there's a lot of songs out there with multiple meaning or meanings that remain up to interpretation, but I can't see myself really listening to it much again. Nonetheless, the singer does a great job, and the instrumental work is also solid.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
8/10 I love power metal ballads. Idk anything about the plot of RWBY tho. It was a little hard to chug through the first minute but the rest was good.

Top Bottom